• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloated, PR paste-bin |OT|s are a plague on these boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Parallax Scroll said:
I've already made my opinion on jpeg-text clear, but besides that I'd say it's still a bit heavy on character bios to scroll past. Naturally the thread should highlight the new characters, but I would prefer it done with less screen real estate, such as by using smaller/thumbnail character images and plain text bios. After that I really dig the OP. It links to a lot of good stuff, and the section headers made me chuckle, though they're mostly in-jokes.
Sixfortyfive said:
It's not nearly as offensive as most of the ones I bitch about simply because most of the content is actually worthwhile information on some level, and it has an appropriate amount of in-forum humor and references that are appreciated.

Text-as-images is absolutely the worst offense you can make in an OP, though. Doing it to circumvent the character limit doesn't make it better. A list of links to Youtube clips of the new characters would be far better than what you have in there now. A list of release dates would be better than an image (why???) of release dates.
Duly noted. I even realized myself before putting it up image-as-text was probably what people would complain about most, and I see people prefer the whole bullet-pointed breakdown of the factoids instead of an image.

And yeah, some of the sizing is a bit questionable, I might work on that later. See originally the "Marvel" and "Capcom" headers felt too big, but they were only so big to compensate for the character images and not get dwarfed by them, even though the character images kind of dwarf the banners themselves. I do not disagree with any of these criticisms. I may still tweak stuff, but therein lies the issue of whether the text in the images will be still readable if made smaller. Again, I appreciate the replies.

reggie

Banned
They are worthless. Has anyone actually read one the entire way through? You enter the thread to maybe learn a thing or two and instead see a massive amount of redundant information. Nothing makes me leave a thread quicker. Less is more!

SykoTech

enzo_gt said:
..is it really? I don't think it's even in the same league as any other threads, I tried to tend it not to be anything even close to a PR booklet and to focus it on informing people of the important stuff.. Anyone share these sentiments?

But yeah I just put up the UMvC3 OT and would love constructive criticism on it, it's my first gaming-side OT.

Yes, it's three posts, but hear out my rationale first, the last two are just a comprehensive breakdown of the changes from MvC3 and are pretty much what the hardcore MvC3 folk care about most and will be referring to the most. So I thought it was important to constrict the OT to one post (text as images unfortunately being a crutch in the character section to avoid it being two posts) and keep the change log for the next two. Again, any comments or criticisms are welcomed.

Your thread is perfectly fine. Well organized, lots of character info, and with plenty of hype-worthy images and quotes. The top image stretches off the page a little bit, but that's about it.

No idea why people get so weepy if a |OT| is more than one post.

Shanadeus

Banned
Aselith said:
Release date, characters, weapons/maps (for multiplayer shooters) car types/models (racers), other relevant game customization options, basic synposis of gameplay/setting. That should all be straight text and first on the OT. No images of boxart and shit like that until after all that information is on display. Instead it's like HUGE DEVELOPER INFO picture, HUGE BOXART EXTRAVAGANZA, HUGE CHARACTER PICTURE SECTION, SCREENSHOT HOLY SHIT SECTION. Then we get to weapons and you have to hunt for it.
I can get behind this.

Shanadeus

Banned
SykoTech said:
Your thread is perfectly fine. Well organized, lots of character info, and with plenty of hype-worthy images and quotes. The top image stretches off the page a little bit, but that's about it.

No idea why people get so weepy if a |OT| is more than one post.
I disagree, way too many images.

Let the publishers do all the PR jazz, they do not deserve getting shit handed to them for free as they are already making money from you.

All those character images in the marvel vs capcom thread could be condensed to one-two paragraphs of text.

suzu

I think some pretty graphics are fine, but the main bulk of the information should be in text. There doesn't need to be a 15 post OP for any game.

Also there should be a ban on posts that only say "nice/great/etc OP" and the like in |OT| threads.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
enzo_gt said:
Duly noted. I even realized myself before putting it up image-as-text was probably what people would complain about most, and I see people prefer the whole bullet-pointed breakdown of the factoids instead of an image.

And yeah, some of the sizing is a bit questionable, I might work on that later. See originally the "Marvel" and "Capcom" headers felt too big, but they were only so big to compensate for the character images and not get dwarfed by them, even though the character images kind of dwarf the banners themselves. I do not disagree with any of these criticisms. I may still tweak stuff, but therein lies the issue of whether the text in the images will be still readable if made smaller. Again, I appreciate the replies.
Honestly, having to exercise my scroll wheel from the very start because all I see is (half of) the title image already puts it off on the wrong foot.

Detox

More OT's need impressions from gaffers, doesn't matter if it is post launch. It's always nice to go into a OT for a game you wasn't hyped for and read impressions that could sway you either way.

SykoTech

Aselith said:
Release date, characters, weapons/maps (for multiplayer shooters) car types/models (racers), other relevant game customization options, basic synposis of gameplay/setting. That should all be straight text and first on the OT. No images of boxart and shit like that until after all that information is on display. Instead it's like HUGE DEVELOPER INFO picture, HUGE BOXART EXTRAVAGANZA, HUGE CHARACTER PICTURE SECTION, SCREENSHOT HOLY SHIT SECTION. Then we get to weapons and you have to hunt for it.

So an |OT| should just be straight text of all the game's info before a single image or any sign of creativity is made? That sounds extremely dull.

Really hope that the people who actually make these threads aren't taking everything to heart. Some of the suggestions are nice and I would agree that the Revelations thread is a bit cluttered. But others make it seem like you guys want to turn the place into a no fun zone. Save the extreme restrictions on images and expression for GameFAQs.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Detox said:
More OT's need impressions from gaffers, doesn't matter if it is post launch. It's always nice to go into a OT for a game you wasn't hyped for and read impressions that could sway you either way.
I'd prefer this over the standard industry review links and excerpts, which I often wonder why they've been put there in the first place. Who goes out of their way to read those?

Sibylus

Banned
Artanisix said:
Anything that exceeds one post in length is TOO MUCH.

And too many images is TOO MUCH.
I dunno, I've known some good and concise OTs that consist of two posts.

*shameless*

etiolate

Banned
fernoca said:
I'm not unaware of that. But for example, I made the Mortal Kombat OT "like that" for a few simple reasons:
-Been a fan of the series since the 90s (1992)
-The game was a reboot but also had connections not only to the previous main games, but to some of the spinoffs.
-The series was mostly criticized around here for been "same ol..lol".
-Most MK threads dissolved into "MK sucks since MK2 lolol"

So, I decided to make "something special"; to celebrate if anything the return of the franchise (even when I didn't liked many aspects of it; mostly because I made it on a small-ass screen).

If that makes others assume that I'm a corporate schill, just because I really like MK, well so be it. But the same can be said for every other OT for that matter; or the "I love this game, buy it" kind of threads posted for many games. Is 'Dartastic' one too because he made a thread called "Dear GAF, buy Sonic Generations. ...no seriously."; even when there's an OT discussing the game? Nope. He played the game, he really liked it and wanted to spread the word around for others that might ignore the OT because of "lol Sonic cycle".

If you are making a thread that presents one person's argument for a game then that is fine by me. If you are making an OT that presents its argument in the same way advertising does then its not so okay.

The issue here is cohesive. The amount of and type of OPs in these threads turns the Gaming Forum into a billboard. OT after OT, with images and hype and a basic sell job are the issue. This problem influences further consumerist behavior and lessens the quality of discussion on the board. It's not just an issue that stays within the OTs. This behavior feeds into the binary way of thinking that makes discussion aggravating to partake in. Consumerism is very love it/hate it and proudly show it.

DoomGyver

All i need in an OT is:

critical info: release date, preorder bonuses w/ links, updated list of reviews

Bullet point features / modes

Some OTs do get out of hand in length and complexity.

Aselith

SykoTech said:
So an |OT| should just be straight text of all the game's info before a single image or any sign of creativity is made? That sounds extremely dull.

Really hope that the people who actually make these threads aren't taking everything to heart. Some of the suggestions are nice and I would agree that the Revelations thread is a bit cluttered. But others make it seem like you guys want to turn the place into a no fun zone. Save the extreme restrictions on images and expression for GameFAQs.

I know, right? Information is FUCKING BORING! Show me pretty stuff!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sixfortyfive said:
I'd prefer this over the standard industry review links and excerpts, which I often wonder why they've been put there in the first place. Who goes out of their way to read those?
Review links usually end up being kind of auto fellatio in the thread, and are mostly very selective. I dislike that. I disregarded review links period, I don't care for them, and I care even less for fighting game reviews where the reviewers have no clue what they're talking about.

Pretty odd issue. On one hand, if people really feel the need to make them, it doesn't feel right to tell them they can't.

On the other hand, starting the thread with this huge, designed love letter to the game isn't exactly the best way to invite open discussion of it. It's hard enough to criticize anything on GAF without someone saying a "Haters gonna hate" equivalent or asking why you're even in the thread if you're not there to love every aspect of the game, and the OTs like the AssCreed one just scream "I FUCKING LOVE THIS GAME!"

But, like tons of other people mentioned, I feel like hardly anyone actually reads them anyway, so in the end at best they're a waste of time. I've always wondered why exactly people make them. The average GAF user isn't going to learn much they didn't already know about a game they're interested in from the OT OP anyway, and especially when they're as long as that AssCreed one there's no way more than a handful of people are actually going through and reading all that.

Someone mentioned early in the thread that sometimes people who make the lovey-dovey OTs get gifts from the game's PR team. I'm not sure how legit that is and I've never heard of it, but if that's true that's enough to shut them down as far as I'm concerned. The thread is supposed to be to discuss the game, not advertise it.

overcast

Why does it matter so much? You can easily go right by it. I for one thought the Ass Creed one was informative. I mean I've only made a few OT's over in the off topic, and while both were simple I sure as hell don't mind somebody making it a bit bloated.

Branduil

dr3upmushroom said:
Someone mentioned early in the thread that sometimes people who make the lovey-dovey OTs get gifts from the game's PR team. I'm not sure how legit that is and I've never heard of it, but if that's true that's enough to shut them down as far as I'm concerned. The thread is supposed to be to discuss the game, not advertise it.
Wait, does this really happen? This is important.

I have to agree. The bloated OTs which feel like little more than PR pieces have become worse and worse over the years, and they detract from discussion of the game. There's no need for so much extraneous information. If a person wants to read up on what happened in previous games, there are much better places to get that information.

A good OT should have, in my opinion, release date and platform information (with spec requirements for PC games), a brief description of game play and perhaps some story/setting information (nothing too extravagant though), staff listings, and ideally some links to reviews and feedback from GAF posters. Other information may be pertinent for certain games (patch/updates, multiplayer information, etc), but there's really no need for long plot summaries, character bios, information on every other game in the series, etc. That stuff is just meaningless bloat.

These ultra long OTs try to provide so much information that it's often difficult to find the most pertinent information, because it's buried underneath a wall of images, PR quotes, and summaries of every single area in the game. It's completely counter productive.

Full Recovery said:
All i need in an OT is:

critical info: release date, preorder bonuses w/ links, updated list of reviews

Bullet point features / modes

Some OTs do get out of hand in length and complexity.

If you want this goto gamespot.com

Jamesways

Artanisix said:
Anything that exceeds one post in length is TOO MUCH.

And too many images is TOO MUCH.

Yeah! It should only be one post, no, only one sentence. This game is out, discuss here. And no images! You want to know what a game looks like, you fucking play it. Or look on the internet.
Including information is for suckers and chumps. You want release dates? System specs? That's what google is for!

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Branduil said:
I don't mind if they get something by the dev's after the thread is made but it b
ecomes a problem when the threads are made because they have received something in return.

Jamesways said:
Yeah! It should only be one post, no, only one sentence. This game is out, discuss here. And no images! You want to know what a game looks like, you fucking play it. Or look on the internet.
Including information is for suckers and chumps. You want release dates? System specs? That's what google is for!
Congrats at completely missing the point and accidentally agreeing with the anti-hugeass-OP crowd.

fernoca

Branduil said:
As I've said already, I'm still waiting for the gifts and checks for Mortal Kombat, Skylanders, Solatorobo and Motoheroz. :p

Shanadeus

Banned
Jamesways said:
Release dates, system specs, basic story/gameplay is fine as others have pointed out.

Having more than that, or pictures that look straight out of the official website, along with a bunch of extravagant information is a bit over the top.

For me, OT's like that AC one are a bit too much. They take up too much space, they have too much irrelevant information, and the opening topic doesn't really help me decide if I'm interested or not in the game, since there's no specific place in it too look for the info that I'm after. I couldn't care less about top view plans of some game areas. Not to mention they look like something out of a messy magazine advertisement.

EDIT: Ideally, an OT would look like what BFI's magazine Sight & Sound does for movies. Precise, professional, and to the point, with synoptic, relevant information.

SykoTech

Aselith said:
I know, right? Information is FUCKING BORING! Show me pretty stuff!

A sarcastic and unfunny repsonse with no kind of substance behind it at all, eh? That's a shame. And your first post made it seem like you were actually worth replying to.

Shanadeus said:

Now this is fine. No lame "no images until every bit of text/info is filled" setup, but it doesn't go too overboard. I'd be good with that.

WillyFive

Jive Turkey said:
In an OT they're completely pointless. You want an avatar? Bust out Gimp and crop an image.

Not everyone can do that. If we put premade ones in the OP, everyone can just grab one.

Sickboy007 said:
Truly the champion of the people.

Not of the popular vote.

It's not really cool to suggest that people are getting incentives to create advertorial OTs on GAF without proof imo, kind of promotes a Salem-esque mood. I don't like the threads but unless we know that's happening you're slagging a lot of people off by implication.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I appreciate the effort of the OPs,(though I don't know how they find the time to collect all that information and make those giant images..I mean..seriously..that's a lot of free time for a message board post..) but I CAN'T STAND the text-as-images thing. I don't want images period minus some thumbnails and boxart. And I have blazing fast internet, so that's not the issue. The AC:R thread looks great and informative but man..those images... I think my favorite OT lately is Ratchet and Clank All Four One. To the point.

Shanadeus

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
It's not really cool to suggest that people are getting incentives to create advertorial OTs on GAF without proof imo, kind of promotes a Salem-esque mood. I don't like the threads but unless we know that's happening you're slagging a lot of people off by implication.
Well, the alternative isn't that much better - them liking the game/publisher so much that they create the massive PR OTs for free.

Obviously, because I am a sane and reasonable human being, I fucking hate them. It took me 30 seconds to mousewheel past that monstrosity that I'll never read.

Now, what I find especially hilarious about these OPs, is you have people who in one thread will mock some random dude on YouTube for "spending too much time" on a hobby, and in another thread, praise whoever spent hours putting together a monstrous OT for a game they like.

Shanadeus said:
So they're either being paid for overworked PR jobs or they're doing it for free because of how big consumerist fanboys they are?

Well, in my opinion the former would be unethical, the latter just rather tragic.

etiolate

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:

If they are not getting compensated then it's rather sad. The forum makes money through traffic generated, the game producer gets copy written for them and the benefit of whatever interest it generates, the same with any store offering pre-order bonuses getting more traffic, but the person doing all the work gets nothing?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
stupei said:
I think the biggest problem with this board might be this kind of hyperbole that suggests that any criticism or commentary that isn't absolute adoration or praise is crybaby whiners who don't really enjoy games ridiculing other people who love games and are still capable of feeling joy, unlike the hard hearted bastards who judge others for their hard work.
I know the difference between criticism and whining. I would love to see more thoughtful criticism. But most of what I see is, "This one minor detail isn't exactly the way I want therefore the whole thing is dogshit." The key to good criticism is balance and accuracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom