• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloated, PR paste-bin |OT|s are a plague on these boards

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
reggie said:
You are getting angry about nothing and missed his point completely. He isn't comparing comparing the two, he's pointing out that effort isn't relevant on whether something is good or not.

he said so in the dumbest way possible though

Irish

The good news is this: Not every OT turns out the same way. :D People just ask to have the rights to the OT and then someone decides who gets it and then they get to do whatever the hell they want with it. Make it large, keep it more intimate, whatever that individual feels is necessary.

fernoca

Drinky Crow said:
never, ever cater to the needs of fanboys. EVER. this should be graven into stone, or at least the HTML equivalent thereof around here.
Glad to see you back, many thought you were gone for good with your new color. XD

Shanadeus

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
never, ever cater to the needs of fanboys. EVER. this should be graven into stone, or at least the HTML equivalent thereof around here.
Unbanned just to be banned in this thread?

Good riddance, I say.

Aselith

iNvidious01 said:
I couldn't give 2 shits about what these guys expect from an OT. Unless evilore adds guidelines nothing to worry about. Most people here don't have a clue about the AC games and why the OT is 95% relevant.

Bwahahaha! Yes, AC is such a niche product. Thank Jesus you brought this one to our attention! I was afraid I was going to have to import it from France but I guess they convinced them to bring it t our shores somehow.

iNvidious01 said:
I couldn't give 2 shits about what these guys expect from an OT. Unless evilore adds guidelines nothing to worry about. Most people here don't have a clue about the AC games and why the OT is 95% relevant.

I appreciate your artistic commitment, sure.

Shanadeus

Banned
obonicus said:
By whom, and what would the difference be?
By either popular vote or by Evillore.

I think both will result in a one page limit, and a picture limit to be enforced on a case to case basis.

iNvid02

The funny thing is anyone who makes an ot is gonna be a fan. Unless all ot's are made by one person who has no interest in any games the moment an ot is created before release date (usually when the real discussion commences as people have the game) the thread is there to provide info, gather new info and build hype

fernoca

Aselith said:
Bwahahaha! Yes, AC is such a niche product. Thank Jesus you brought this one to our attention! I was afraid I was going to have to import it from France but I guess they convinced them to bring it t our shores somehow.
Who said anything about "niche"?
Seeing in other threads how people that has played the games say that the AC games involved time traveling and killing people in the past to save the future...he is right in that some don't have a clue. :p

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Shanadeus said:

I think both will result in a one page limit, and a picture limit to be enforced on a case to case basis.

And text-as-text as well hopefully. I like being able to use Ctrl-F in a thread.

RDreamer

Some of you guys are just crazy. Do people really have that much of a hatred of well designed info? Go read a wikipedia? Fuck that. I like things that look visually pleasing, and that OT is visually pleasing. I can see the art style of the game and a lot of imagery from it as I read, and it's in the style of the games. I like that. Why would I want to go to a wiki and just read some words with very few pictures?

And also your argument for not having all that info is because you can quickly go to a wiki and get it. Well the argument for your quick release date info and everything is that a wiki has that too. Just search the damned game on wikipedia and you get release date info lickity split. So, we're at an impasse, since both ways mean one group is going to have to go wiki something, I guess. Well, I say then let the OP do what they really want. If they have a ton of passion for a game series and really want to go all out with a labor of love then more power to them. That's awesome!

And what's the big deal with having to scroll a bit? Most of these OTs will be on the first page for all of a couple hours if that, then after that you never ever have to click the first page again.

I feel really bad for the dude who did the AC OT. He put all that effort into it, and there is a lot of info there, and it all looks really nice and is well designed. And a bunch of people are shitting all over him because it's too much? That sucks...

Razorskin

----- ------
I think the revelations thread is fine, gives you all the possible information you could want and more. I rarely even read the first page and just follow the page to page discussion as it flows.

Irish

Aselith said:

On GAF? Many here hate the games. They believe ACII is the only real game in the series. In fact, "It shouldn't even be considered a game because the combat is so easy." To them, Brotherhood and Revelations are merely reskinned versions of II.

Aselith

fernoca said:
Who said anything about "niche"?
Seeing in other threads how people that has played the games say that the AC games involved time traveling and killing people in the past to save the future...he is right in that some don't have a clue. :p

He said 95% of people don't have a clue about AC. I'd say rather that 95% of people do or that they don't care and the other 5% ask a lot of questions. Saying that nobody knows about AC implies that it's a niche product.

Irish said:
On GAF? Many here hate the games. They believe ACII is the only real game in the series. In fact, "It shouldn't even be considered a game because the combat is so easy." To them, Brotherhood and Revelations are merely reskinned versions of II.

So these are the people that are going to read that libraries worth of content in the OP? People who don't give a shit about the series?

Shanadeus

Banned
Osiris said:
And text-as-text as well hopefully. I like being able to use Ctrl-F in a thread.
Some paragraph dividers as pictures is acceptable, but turning the paragraph into an image is going too far.

Shanadeus said:

Awesome. NeoGAF is turning into a condo association... I await a Subdivision Rules and Regulations - style guide on all OTs. We should pay yearly dues as well.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Standards doesn't necessarily mean voting btw - just the preferred method to which everyone agrees on. Sure other people can go against it, but they'd be frowned upon.

RDreamer said:
I feel really bad for the dude who did the AC OT. He put all that effort into it, and there is a lot of info there, and it all looks really nice and is well designed. And a bunch of people are shitting all over him because it's too much? That sucks...

Maybe one should not go to a forum if he always expects people to agree with him.

And again - a lot of people pointed out how cluttered and messy it was.

KarmaCow

I can tolerate multipage OTs but it's a fucking chore to sift through the ones composed images instead of text. Not only is the formatting always fucked up on my screen, it takes way too long to get the relevant information compared to just ctrl+f'ing to the stuff I want to see.

iNvid02

RDreamer said:
Some of you guys are just crazy. Do people really have that much of a hatred of well designed info? Go read a wikipedia? Fuck that. I like things that look visually pleasing, and that OT is visually pleasing. I can see the art style of the game and a lot of imagery from it as I read, and it's in the style of the games. I like that. Why would I want to go to a wiki and just read some words with very few pictures?

And also your argument for not having all that info is because you can quickly go to a wiki and get it. Well the argument for your quick release date info and everything is that a wiki has that too. Just search the damned game on wikipedia and you get release date info lickity split. So, we're at an impasse, since both ways mean one group is going to have to go wiki something, I guess. Well, I say then let the OP do what they really want. If they have a ton of passion for a game series and really want to go all out with a labor of love then more power to them. That's awesome!

And what's the big deal with having to scroll a bit? Most of these OTs will be on the first page for all of a couple hours if that, then after that you never ever have to click the first page again.

it's not that it's too much, it's mostly relevant and needed. It's that people who have no interest in the series saw a big ot and dismissed everything apart from the standard info as pr fluff.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
RDreamer said:

Isn't that the fundamental problem with them?

Why can't they be used as a consistent source of information for the thread instead of entertainment you look at once and never bother with again?

I'd much rather have a text based OT that updates with game patches and DLC content updates so people don't have to look through the thread discussion for that info

havent followed the game in a couple months? That's cool just look at the OP to see what you missed.

aDDiKt24

Banned
The guy that did the Revelations OT needs to be applauded for his work but I do agree with what the OP is saying. I think most OT's need to be straight forward and to the point. Cover the story, trailers and movies, reviews.

Still, that AC revelations OT is HUGE!

iNvid02

Aselith said:
He said 95% of people don't have a clue about AC. I'd say rather that 95% of people do or that they don't care and the other 5% ask a lot of questions. Saying that nobody knows about AC implies that it's a niche product.

So these are the people that are going to read that libraries worth of content in the OP? People who don't give a shit about the series?

I actually said 95% of the ot is relevant. your not even reading sentences now so I highly doubt you even read the OT before dismissing it as pr fluff.

iNvidious01 said:
I actually said 95% of the ot is relevant. your not even reading sentences now so I highly doubt you even read the OT before dismissing it as pr fluff.
Most of the people who claim to like it probably don't even read it. Just because I'm interested in a game doesn't mean I want to have to scroll for an hour to get to the people talking about the game. Of course, it's usually two hours given all the people who say "GREAT OP" and then leave the thread for a day.

Tell you what. Give me a link to click at the very top of your fifty-page-long OPs that will scroll the page down past the fifty-page-long OP, and we'll call it even.

Sciz

The other problem with these gargantuan image-laden OTs is that they run counter to the basic design of GAF. You get a username, a small avatar, and depending on your fortune or misfortune, a tag to distinguish yourself with. No smilies, no signatures. It's a very clean, very basic setup that puts the emphasis on what people write. A single image is extremely eyecatching.

And then you have these behemoths that look like nothing else on the forum. It's jarring.

iNvidious01 said:
Most people here don't have a clue about the AC games and why the OT is 95% relevant.
I said this earlier, but I don't have a clue about the games and I still don't. They're third person and there's melee combat and cities or something. One of the basic things an OT should have at the beginning is a "Why you should care about this game" section, and you don't have that. The gameplay section should do that, but you threw a bunch of distinct mechanics in there out of context, and that doesn't really tell me much. Give me a short, concise bit on what exactly it is you do in the game, why it's fun. Sell me on the concept first, then get into details.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
iNvidious01 said:

I'd bet 95%!! of gaf didn't read it dude....

Aselith

iNvidious01 said:

Sorry yes, I meant your saying that most people don't know about AC. I misremembered your exact phrasing but you were still wrong. A whole lot of people have played Assassin's Creed that's why it's one of the best selling series ever.

I read the AC: R OT. While I commend the effort, it's certainly way over the top.

The issue for me is that it's just too difficult to track down real data about the game. To find something in that OT (without using ctrl+f), I have to scroll through dozens of images and lines of text that may or may not be read even once by each person who visits the thread.

I enjoy how Kassatsu makes his PSN weekly threads: 1 large image, links to guides for those whom need them, and text for the rest.

Rezbit

Retro_ said:

Why can't they be used as a consistent source of information for the thread instead of entertainment you look at once and never bother with again?

I'd much rather have a text based OT that updates with game patches and DLC content updates so people don't have to look through the thread discussion for that info

havent followed the game in a couple months? That's cool just look at the OP to see what you missed.

Pretty much this.

fernoca

Togglesworlh said:
Give me a link to click at the very top of your fifty-page-long OPs that will scroll the page down past the fifty-page-long OP, and we'll call it even.
Any number starting from #2:
Ibv7v.png

(and it's 15 posts, but yeah 50 is closer :p)

Ookami-kun said:
Yeah this too. A lot of people assume "wow = good".
For MK, I know many did. Which surprised me, since I wasn't expecting it, but a few reported typos in both the thread and as private messages, others liked the summaries because it made a story (that they thought was lame or didn't made much sense); to actually make sense.

iNvid02

Sciz said:
The other problem with these gargantuan image-laden OTs is that they run counter to the basic design of GAF. You get a username, a small avatar, and depending on your fortune or misfortune, a tag to distinguish yourself with. No smilies, no signatures. It's a very clean, very basic setup that puts the emphasis on what people write. A single image is extremely eyecatching.

And then you have these behemoths that look like nothing else on the forum. It's jarring.

I said this earlier, but I don't have a clue about the games and I still don't. They're third person and there's melee combat and cities or something. One of the basic things an OT should have at the beginning is a "Why you should care about this game" section, and you don't have that. The gameplay section should do that, but you threw a bunch of distinct mechanics in there out of context, and that doesn't really tell me much. Give me a short, concise bit on what exactly it is you do in the game, why it's fun. Sell me on the concept first, then get into details.

It's the fourth game in a series which is heavily story dependant. It's too late to jump in now and know what's going on. Hence why after all the main info was posted there are sections recapping the previous games

fernoca said:
Any number starting from #2:
Ibv7v.png

(and it's 15 posts, but yeah 50 is closer :p)
It's a nice idea, but then I miss anything relevant that might have been on the first page. Granted, chances of that are rather slim, but it's not impossible.

Aselith

iNvidious01 said:
It's the fourth game in a series which is heavily story dependant. It's too late to jump in now and know what's going on. Hence why after all the main info was posted there are sections recapping the previous games

So who was it for?

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Togglesworlh said:
It's a nice idea, but then I miss anything relevant that might have been on the first page. Granted, chances of that are rather slim, but it's not impossible.

Don't worry, I'd skip straight to page 3 personally, all you're going to get on those first two pages is "Awesome OT!". :p

RDreamer

Retro_ said:

It almost sounds like you're arguing for my side. I personally like this type of OP because it can be used as a consistent source of info, and it's nice to look at once in a while if I want to refresh my memory on a past game or get some info or find a trailer to show someone. And I didn't say they shouldn't be used for that stuff you said. But really the scrolling shouldn't be an issue. If you just put a link in the first post to the part for DLC or changes, then if people want to check out that info they just pop into the first post and click that. Why would that be bad?

Basically, I'm saying I want the same function as you, but I like an OT that looks nice, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that. Plenty of people here buy nice art books and things and love looking at concept and game art. Why do we want our OTs to be almost nothing but text now?

Irish

bonesmccoy said:
I read the AC: R OT. While I commend the effort, it's certainly way over the top.

The issue for me is that it's just too difficult to track down real data about the game. To find something in that OT (without using ctrl+f), I have to scroll through dozens of images and lines of text that may or may not be read even once by each person who visits the thread.

Everything related to the singleplayer is in the second post. Everything related to the MP is in the third.

fernoca

Togglesworlh said:
Well, you asked for something to skip all posts. :p
The Assassins' Creed thread, for example includes individual links for each of the separate posts ..in the main post, so no need to scroll over everything, to get o the summary of ACII.

For MK I put a table of content in the second post, that linked to each section too.

And usually in all OTs (even more ones that are posted 7 days ahead), not just big ones nothing "relevant" is posted as a reply (usually "great job, can't wait, day one, etc".)...and whatever manages to be posted, ends been added to the main posts anyway.

For the Motoheroz, Skylanders and Solatorobo threads I posted, there was not much of that, mainly because the threads were either not actual OTs (like Motoheroz) or posted the same day the game was released in the US (Solatorobo, Skylanders).

iNvid02

serious I think people need to grow some balls, go back to the thread and look at it again. Of course you won't like it, too late for that but you might actually realise most complaints are invalid.

Sean

Banned
RDreamer said:
Plenty of people here buy nice art books and things and love looking at concept and game art. Why do we want our OTs to be almost nothing but text now?

Images break, images can't be ctrl+f'd to search for information, images cannot be copy-pasted, images take much longer to load, images can't be zoomed like text, etc etc.

I'm fine with images being used as headers and whatnot, but when EVERYTHING is in an image? That's no good.

Effort is fine, just in this case, it needed to be redirected, valuing the brevity of an OT instead of the complexity. Or give it good complexity, but in off-site posts, like links to existing wikis for more in-depth information.

Going by people's immediate comments about an 'epic' OT, I'm guessing they are more immediately impressed by length, since it's the most obvious sign of effort. While others...well, here we are.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
iNvidious01 said:
I could do it.

AC1: Play as Altair, original Assassin during the crusades. He goes around, killing people, trying to assist his brother hood of assassins vs templars, but it turns out he is just being used by his mentor to uncover a weapon that turns him 50 feet tall.

Desmond, Nolan North avatars himself into Altair. The war Altair started never ended.

AC2: Play as Enzo this time, as he avenges his family. He avenges his family Said weapon in one is from aliens and shit, yadada, it was known it was happen by alien history.

Desmond: WTF. Aliens are speaking to him through Enzo avatar.

AC:Bro. Playing as Enzo again + Bros, but this time people want revenge on him. He puts them down.

Desmond: Nothing important

iNvidious01 said:
serious I think people need to grow some balls, go back to the thread and look at it again. Of course you won't like it, too late for that but you might actually realise most complaints are invalid.

Dude, you are taking this way to personally, no matter how you slice it, your OT is too damn long.

Sciz

iNvidious01 said:
But your main info doesn't tell me why I should care. A lot of people like this series, apparently. Why? What makes it exciting and fun? What do you, personally, get out of it? The vast pile of lore and character bios don't tell me that, and I'm not especially any more interested for having gone through them.

fernoca

shintoki said:
I could do it.

AC1: Play as Altair, original Assassin during the crusades. He goes around, killing people, trying to assist his brother hood of assassins vs templars, but it turns out he is just being used by his mentor to uncover a weapon that turns him 50 feet tall.

Desmond, Nolan North avatars himself into Altair. The war Altair started never ended.

AC2: Play as Enzo this time, as he avenges his family. He avenges his family Said weapon in one is from aliens and shit, yadada, it was known it was happen by alien history.

Desmond: WTF. Aliens are speaking to him through Enzo avatar.

AC:Bro. Playing as Enzo again + Bros, but this time people want revenge on him. He puts them down.

Desmond: Nothing important
Ignored that Enzo Ferrari was part of the Assassin's Creed cannon. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom