• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Deku Tree

I know but i dont want gems for any NG. Just for PvP. they feel neccessary for PVP when half the people you face have em...

My point was that if you want to PvP in Bloodborne regularly then you should get involved in an organized Fight Club like say the one on the Reddit sub, they are hungry for more people to play with them. Then you'll be playing PvP every night if you want without any gems. So you don't need gems.

My point was that if you want to PvP in Bloodborne regularly then you should get involved in an organized Fight Club like say the one on the Reddit sub, they are hungry for more people to play with them. Then you'll be playing PvP every night if you want without any gems. So you don't need gems.

sounds like to much work when I can just goto nightmare frontier and find pvp in minutes or less.

and why would I not need gems? that doesnt change my original point.

Deku Tree

You don't like a system that's not gonna change. I was offering you a potential solution. That's all. It's actually not much work but that's your call.

EDIT: Or otherwise PvP in the BL60-80 at Nightmare Frontier or Mergo Middle. The only end game gems you'll find at that level range are on Twinks, and I think there are not many of those...

Matt Frost

About the gem and PvP thing... I think is more a matter of skill than gems. For example... before farming gems, I was invaded a lot by other players and didnt have gems equiped (maybe 9% Phys Att) and slaughtered many of them. Know your weapons, the range, how to evade and parry and you can beat any overleveled invader anytime. Of course, it will be better if you have 27 or 31 gems, but I will never know that since I overleveled and there are no invading players with my level :(

Deku Tree

If you have anything close to 3x 27.2% gems or better and your at PvP level then you can two shot invaders with the right weapons. Most players doing casual invasions at Mergo or Nightmare only have crappy story gems. It's really makes casual PvP a joke.

This game can be weird sometimes. I was stuck at vicar for a few days (hardly played though due to busy), but then I easily defeated her without a sweat. Then the next boss shadows of whatever those 3 guys was easier than normal mobs.

dracula_x

action figures announced – https://twitter.com/Bloodborne_PS4/status/757016813783744512

CoF2xcbUkAE5UZO.jpg:orig

BB waifus are getting figures. Time to bleed that wallet dry.

The Doll
Maria

Damm, that doll is a must, maria can go to hell

This game can be weird sometimes. I was stuck at vicar for a few days (hardly played though due to busy), but then I easily defeated her without a sweat. Then the next boss shadows of whatever those 3 guys was easier than normal mobs.

Shadows is hard if you want to deal with the three at the same time

Ferr986

Summon 2 guys for Micolash at NG+. Both get 1hitKO'ed at phase 1.

Friggin Nic Cage lol

he still didn't stand a chance for my Chikage eve with 2 summons HP buff

Surprised how much coop there's still at regular vanilla bosses. Lots of people still playing this.

Friggin Nic Cage lol

Surprised how much coop there's still at regular vanilla bosses. Lots of people still playing this.

I died and randomly got taken to some village, then later on some gravity orb teleported me to the death frontier where I saw a real player running towards me, so I ran and went back to the hunters dream lol.

Friggin Nic Cage lol

His tentacle attack damage is insane if it hits you fully xc. I think the game was in discount last month

Should I buy ludwigs holy blade or just get the ones in the Chalice assuming I'm capable of that, I only have one chalice and I'm not sure what the chalice dungeons are yet .

Should I buy ludwigs holy blade or just get the ones in the Chalice assuming I'm capable of that, I only have one chalice and I'm not sure what the chalice dungeons are yet .

Go for the default one, have decent slots for raw damage, the ones in the chalices are more arcane or more serration damage slots

norog

Going back to this after finishing up DS3, invading in Bloodborne is a real treat. Nice little one on one fights every time I've gone in, polite with our little bows and everything, no color-coded nightmare clusterwhoops.

I'd love to do more depth 5 random chalice dungeons, but they're more fun to co-op and I keep ringing to help but there's nobody looking for help. Shoulda stopped levelling on my chalice dungeon character.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Anyone got suggestions for a new character (build, theme etc.)? I have a friend or two that are starting new characters and would like to coop but I feel the build variety is rather limited...

I've already done skill, strength, quality, arcane, bloodtinge builds, and already played a lot with the following trick weapons: Threaded Cane, Saw Spear, Chikage, Kirkhammer, Ludwig's Holy Blade, Blades of Mercy, Burial Blade, Tonitrus, Simon's Bowblade, Holy Moonlight Sword, Whirligig Saw, Rakuyo, Bloodletter. For other weapons/tools I've also used the Hunter's Pistol, Repeating Pistol, Cannon, Ludwig's Rifle (disappointing), and most Arcane tools.

I've also played a little with, but not much (either briefly 'cause I replaced it with something stronger like Ludwig or Rakuyo, or tried it and was unimpressed), Church Pick, Hunter Axe, Saw Cleaver, Logarius Wheel, Reiterpallasch, Rifle Spear, Beasthunter Saif, Stake Driver, Evelyn, Flamesprayer, Rosmarinus, Blunderbuss. If anyone can make a convincing case for giving another chance to those, I might.

I'm also considering the Beast Claws but it takes a while to get them, so I'm not sure what I'd use in the meantime.

Weapons I never tried at all (so feel free to recommend why you like them, if you do): Amygdalan Arm, Beast Cutter, Boom Hammer, Kos Parasite (do you need the ugly head for it to work? if so, fuck it), Piercing Rifle (I might have tried it once and went "WTF why does this suck so much", I have a vague recollection...), Fist of Gratia (is this worthwhile at all?), Church Cannon.

Tools I never tried at all, are they worth a minimal arcane investment? Beast Roar, Empty Phantasm Shell (seems like fire/bolt paper is better?), Choir Bell, Messenger's Gift (just for the lulz in PvP I guess).

Edit: keep in mind I don't care much about PvP or min-maxing in this game, so I likely won't want to farm for insane gems or anything like that (I never do, though).

You can do a Boom hammer or the flamethrower run for another arcane run, boomhammer makes everything explodes with fancy fire and the flamethrowers is to troll bosses

pizza cutter is too fun and op to play, doing endless stuns and melting bosses as long as your stamina allows it.

The tools are fun but shines in late game at 50 arcane stat, roar is useful to deflect proyectiles and the shell is just for few enemies like rom and huh....mobs. Ebrietas is insane at 50 arcane stat.

Kos parasite needs the head to its moveset, the piercing rifle is a miss you can use it but there are other fun weapons to play, the fist of gratis I have no idea

Deku Tree

Sounds like you haven't tried a STR/ARC.

You can use most STR/ARC split scaling weapons and some Hunter tools. Arm, Boom Hammer, Wheel, Toniturus, HMS, etc.

IMO try beast claw on your quality STR build.

Greddleok

Help me fall in love with Bloodborne again.

I absolutely loved it last year, but this year, playing the DLC, I found I just got kind of bored. I don't understand why.

norog

Anyone got suggestions for a new character (build, theme etc.)? I have a friend or two that are starting new characters and would like to coop but I feel the build variety is rather limited...

Weapons I never tried at all (so feel free to recommend why you like them, if you do): Amygdalan Arm, Beast Cutter, Boom Hammer, Kos Parasite (do you need the ugly head for it to work? if so, fuck it), Piercing Rifle (I might have tried it once and went "WTF why does this suck so much", I have a vague recollection...), Fist of Gratia (is this worthwhile at all?), Church Cannon.

Beast Cutter is a really fun time, especially the R2 (pancakes on end of a 2-hit combo). I still use it on my high-level dungeoning strength char, absolutely destroys beast types and the range is insane. Have you tried out the gatling gun too? It's not really viable in the long run but I think it's pretty fun to mess with (until your QS bullets run out anyway, which is all too fast).

You do need the cauliflower head for Kos parasite BTW.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

I've already done skill, strength, quality, arcane, bloodtinge builds, and already played a lot with the following trick weapons: Threaded Cane, Saw Spear, Chikage, Kirkhammer, Ludwig's Holy Blade, Blades of Mercy, Burial Blade, Tonitrus, Simon's Bowblade, Holy Moonlight Sword, Whirligig Saw, Rakuyo, Bloodletter. For other weapons/tools I've also used the Hunter's Pistol, Repeating Pistol, Cannon, Ludwig's Rifle (disappointing), and most Arcane tools.

I've also played a little with, but not much (either briefly 'cause I replaced it with something stronger like Ludwig or Rakuyo, or tried it and was unimpressed), Church Pick, Hunter Axe, Saw Cleaver, Logarius Wheel, Reiterpallasch, Rifle Spear, Beasthunter Saif, Stake Driver, Evelyn, Flamesprayer, Rosmarinus, Blunderbuss. If anyone can make a convincing case for giving another chance to those, I might.

I'm also considering the Beast Claws but it takes a while to get them, so I'm not sure what I'd use in the meantime.

Tools I never tried at all, are they worth a minimal arcane investment? Beast Roar, Empty Phantasm Shell (seems like fire/bolt paper is better?), Choir Bell, Messenger's Gift (just for the lulz in PvP I guess).

Edit: keep in mind I don't care much about PvP or min-maxing in this game, so I likely won't want to farm for insane gems or anything like that (I never do, though).

Stakedriver, maybe? That's quite fun. Beast Claws with beast mode and Amy's Arm are quite different playstyles than most other weapons.

Jamesways

Probably really boring giving all the choices, but I've done two playthroughs with the regular old Saw Cleaver. Even though the Ludwig's is 200 more damage, the cleaver is faster and better against beasts. I really enjoy the moveset and it's just so quick to stunlock.

NG+ has been a cakewalk compared the DLC and higher level Chalice Dungeons. I have 5 bosses left for all of them, and only 1 took more than 1 attempt. I didn't find many of them terribly difficult the first playthrough, but knowing the patterns and methods really speed things up this time. I just love the aggressive style of play this has compared to DS.

Help me fall in love with Bloodborne again.

I absolutely loved it last year, but this year, playing the DLC, I found I just got kind of bored. I don't understand why.

Souls exhaustion maybe , the dlc is pretty linear and confusing if you arent following the lore.

The first (and the third) boss makes the DLC worth it

Greddleok

Souls exhaustion maybe , the dlc is pretty linear and confusing if you arent following the lore.

Maybe...I've not played a souls game in a while. I did up to the third boss, who was absolutely incredible. Just after that I lost interest.

Ferr986

First the lamp at Annalise throne... and now I just discovered that the Yharman Hunter set looks totally different on a female character... and way cooler than with males!

Maybe...I've not played a souls game in a while. I did up to the third boss, who was absolutely incredible. Just after that I lost interest.

Last area is kinda bland and oppresing, the boss is hard but I am not sure but it doesnt impact me like previous bosses, even failure experiments was great compared to the next area boss.

Qurupeke

This may sound like a dumb question, but is it normal to die? I'm still at the starting area after the werewolf and even mobs kill me. And when does the game save?

Son Of D

Doing Chalice Dungeons and fucking hell the Loran Darkbeast is a mess. The camera was the bigger enemy in that battle imo.

Also what version of Burial Blade is best gem slot wise? Thinking of building one up but don't want to waste shards and chunks on what could be the wrong version.

This may sound like a dumb question, but is it normal to die? I'm still at the starting area after the werewolf and even mobs kill me. And when does the game save?

It's expected to die a few times to regular enemies as you learn their patterns and the best ways to counter them. And the game autosaves after doing pretty much anything, you'll see a symbol in the top right corner of the screen. Just make sure you exit the game before turning it off otherwise you might lose a little progress.

Veelk

Banned

Yeah, the game is tough, but you'll get used to it's rhythm pretty quick if you stick to it, and once it clicks, it's really good.

The game saves basically every few seconds.

Sayad

Yep that's normal for a new player, you will eventually "get it" and start breezing through those areas without effort.

As for saving, the game is always saving, if you just turn it off and continue days later you will start from about the same place you were at with enemies you killed still being dead.

Ferr986

Doing Chalice Dungeons and fucking hell the Loran Darkbeast is a mess. The camera was the bigger enemy in that battle imo.

Also what version of Burial Blade is best gem slot wise? Thinking of building one up but don't want to waste shards and chunks on what could be the wrong version.

If you want the root Chalice you can buy the sinister one from the bath messengers in Layer 3. With it you can also unlock the option to search and use glyphs for root chalices.

About Burial Blade, the uncanny one is the best.

Son Of D

If you want the root Chalice you can buy the sinister one from the bath messengers in Layer 3. With it you can also unlock the option to search and use glyphs for root chalices.

About Burial Blade, the uncanny one is the best.

Was able to defeat it eventually but I'll keep that in mind for future characters. And thanks, I'll keep an eye out for an Uncanny glyph then.

Pretty normal, the main town área is like the tutorial to get used in the game mechanics. Dont be afraid to fight back if you got hit instead of healing.

There are no repercutions on dying outside losing your money

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Started a new playthrough yesterday (4th one) and I just beat Vicar Amelia. I noticed you can listen to her whole prayer if you walk into the church without going in enough to activate the cutscene. I think you can hear the prayer while fighting her but not as clearly.

The game is still fun as ever and I'm just breezing through enemies, areas, and bosses. Knowing exactly where to go and what to do feel good. One more solid play session and I should be able to reach the Nightmare areas.

Soulhouf

I mentioned it many times but Saw Cleaver is basically one of the main reasons why Bloodborne is my favorite.
It's one of the strongest weapons. It's fast and very versatile and has the best transformed attack.
The icing on the cake is that it's so beautiful. I love it so much that I use it with all my characters as my secondary weapon if not my main.

Saw Cleaver is a work of art. Saw Cleaver is life.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I played with the saw spear a lot. It's too similar to the saw cleaver for me to give a shit about the saw cleaver anymore, tbh. I get that it's the "iconic" Bloodborne weapon but it does very little for me... :(

Yeah, can wait to see his reaction after Amelia

i've avoided guides unless I got lost then I used a map only. but the only zones I can go to now are nightmare menis and the hunters nightmare.

Amelia was such a bitch but after a few days rest I found her easy, I think I might have 'got good to an extent.

I played with the saw spear a lot. It's too similar to the saw cleaver for me to give a shit about the saw cleaver anymore, tbh. I get that it's the "iconic" Bloodborne weapon but it does very little for me... :(

Saw spear have a good serration bonus but Saw cleaver is better due its passive against beast, put some pepper and fire and you got into Yharman's annual barbecue

Soulhouf

TBH I don't really like the Saw Spear. It's perhaps because of the moveset, the fact that it's weaker and doesn't look as pretty.

grmlin

My arcane char (which never finished the game, yet) has a tonitrus and a saw cleaver with a fire gem.

That thing is insane against beasts, let them burn

:D

I agree. I've gotten back to the DLC tonight and have managed to beat the first three bosses in the DLC. The second boss was fairly straight forward, but the first and third took me a couple of tries each to beat due to how hard they hit! I probably had the most problems with the first boss though, its quite large and intimidating and I had issues dodging its attacks to begin with. Somehow I managed to beat its second phase on my first try...
The third boss was such a rush, I was having much luck parrying (since you get punished hard for screwing up) so I just evaded and attacked where possible. And then they powered up, twice... I swear most of my deaths (against bosses) in this game is either because I panic or I just don't know what is coming so I end up eating attacks. Once I have the general pattern of a boss down I fare far better.

Still, I've never played any of the Dark Souls games so I was wondering which one I should start with? I'll most likely go with the first game, but I've heard bad things against the performance (frame rate) on that game (and I only have consoles so I can't play the PC version at this time). Since I have no problems with the frame rate in BB, would I be ok with DS on the PS3 do you think?

I agree. I've gotten back to the DLC tonight and have managed to beat the first three bosses in the DLC. The second boss was fairly straight forward, but the first and third took me a couple of tries each to beat due to how hard they hit! I probably had the most problems with the first boss though, its quite large and intimidating and I had issues dodging its attacks to begin with. Somehow I managed to beat its second phase on my first try...
The third boss was such a rush, I was having much luck parrying (since you get punished hard for screwing up) so I just evaded and attacked where possible. And then they powered up, twice... I swear most of my deaths (against bosses) in this game is either because I panic or I just don't know what is coming so I end up eating attacks. Once I have the general pattern of a boss down I fare far better.

Still, I've never played any of the Dark Souls games so I was wondering which one I should start with? I'll most likely go with the first game, but I've heard bad things against the performance (frame rate) on that game (and I only have consoles so I can't play the PC version at this time). Since I have no problems with the frame rate in BB, would I be ok with DS on the PS3 do you think?

Play DS1 and DS3, DS2 is a good game but storywise DS3 kinda omited or ignored DS2, you need to play DS1 for the main lore and there are some nods and recurring NPCs in DS3

If you want to play DS2 play the Scholar of the first Sin version, it contains all the DLC , visual upgrades adn 60fps.

The PC version have a patch (praise Durante) that makes it playable and visual upgrades in all game zones.

Thanks for the info. I'm aware of the better PC version of DS but I have no PC capable of playing it, and won't for quite a while. So I'm wondering in that case if its better to just play it on consoles now rather than wait? As I really do have the hunger to play more of the series.

Top Bottom