• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Randomly encountered Ludwig holy blade was legit shook at his transformation but some how I manage to kill him on my first try holy shit lol.

Soulhouf

I don't have any more room for a new character so I started a new one on my Japanese version:

Co4n2NJWcAA136m.jpg:orig

10 slots is too few TBH. I always run out of space. Hopefully FROM will increase the number of save slots in the next game.

Damn, OoK is a monster. It's giving me the most problems since Blood-Starved Beast. So much so I had to go farm for echoes to get more blood vials. Haven't had to do that since my burn-out with Defiled Amygdala.

Giving up for tonight. Got pretty good with the 1st phase, but the 2nd phase is unmerciful.

Son Of D

Thinking about making a character for helping with co-op but I had some questions first:

What bosses/areas are popular for co-op? Just so I can figure out a build for my character.

Also what level should I be for this kind of character? Don't want to be a liability with a low level character either dying too quickly or dealing little damage and I don't want to be too strong to the point that I rip the boss apart in a minute or two.

Ferr986

Thinking about making a character for helping with co-op but I had some questions first:

What bosses/areas are popular for co-op? Just so I can figure out a build for my character.

Also what level should I be for this kind of character? Don't want to be a liability with a low level character either dying too quickly or dealing little damage and I don't want to be too strong to the point that I rip the boss apart in a minute or two.

DLC areas, Logarius and Chalice bosses are the most populated.

Around lvl 80 if you aim for NG or 100 for NG+.

Take in mind that summon ranges are way bigger than Dark Souls, so you can be higher level and be on range with lower players.

Beat Orphan, what a rush. Just had to stick close to his back and not get greedy with my hits. 1, dodge, 2, dodge, etc. That 2nd phase though, still pretty unpredictable. When he was down to his last 10%, I just started whaling on him for the damage and he kept getting stunlocked. DLC complete! Was a very entertaining expansion-esque adventure.

Now to do up Simon's Bowblade, pay Defiled Amygdala one last visit, finish the Moon presence and platinum this baby. Just in time for the start of the fall semester and a very busy second half of the year in terms of upcoming games.

Beat Orphan, what a rush. Just had to stick close to his back and not get greedy with my hits. 1, dodge, 2, dodge, etc. That 2nd phase though, still pretty unpredictable. When he was down to his last 10%, I just started whaling on him for the damage and he kept getting stunlocked. DLC complete! Was a very entertaining expansion-esque adventure.

Now to do up Simon's Bowblade, pay Defiled Amygdala one last visit, finish the Moon presence and platinum this baby. Just in time for the start of the fall semester and a very busy second half of the year in terms of upcoming games.

Mmm the DLC still have a boss

I got the game a few weeks back and gave been playing through it slowly, I'm at Vicar Amelia now, and I was just wondering what the meta is for the level cap on this game?

I'm definitely enjoying it more than DS3, and playing through the other Souls games aside from 2 as a dual wielding dex build has prepared me well for the faster pace of this game.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I got the game a few weeks back and gave been playing through it slowly, I'm at Vicar Amelia now, and I was just wondering what the meta is for the level cap on this game?

I'm definitely enjoying it more than DS3, and playing through the other Souls games aside from 2 as a dual wielding dex build has prepared me well for the faster pace of this game.

Most people consider it 100 or 120. Not higher than 120. *Although* if you go 150 you can play with people from 100 to 200.

Most people consider it 100 or 120. Not higher than 120. *Although* if you go 150 you can play with people from 100 to 200.

Thanks. I'll probably go to 120 then, although if I'm just gonna spend those last 20 levels levelling up stats for the sake of levelling them up I'll just go to 100.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I thought Maria was hard took me at least 8 goes. This oraphan of is much harder .
I think I'm the only one who experienced this, but on my first character/attempts, here's how the DLC bosses went for me:

Ludwig - 2 tries
Failures: 1 try
Lady Maria: 10+ tries
Orphan: 2 tries
Laurence: 2 tries

I was using the Kirkhammer (transformed) on a strength build, eventually switched to whirligig saw for Laurence when I finally had enough chunks/gems to make it strong enough. That is why Lady Maria gave me so much trouble; she is fairly easy with a quick, light weapon, since she's so easily staggered, and so the kirkhammer's heavy attacks were not that useful and my damage output was low (visceral attacks didn't do such great damage either). When I switched to the untransformed Kirkhammer I did much better against her.

So despite my number of initial tries I consider Lady Maria easier than Laurence and Ludwig both. On later characters, Maria went down easier than them in general, especially with a skill build using the Blades of Mercy (which are, on the flipside, not that great against Ludwig or Laurence).

Honestly though? The Orphan never gave me much trouble with anyone. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well okay, I did struggle helping a friend on NG+6, but, well, that was NG+6 and everything was a struggle and with the cooperator's HP penalty, I died often, I admit... so did he :p But overall, I find the Orphan's difficulty to be overstated.

Tarkus

I'm getting destroyed by Rom in lower Pthumerian. Can't get him past 20% health before running out of vials or getting killed. What a dick!

I think I'm the only one who experienced this, but on my first character/attempts, here's how the DLC bosses went for me:

Ludwig - 2 tries

I was using the Kirkhammer (transformed) on a strength build, eventually switched to whirligig saw for Laurence when I finally had enough chunks/gems to make it strong enough. That is why Lady Maria gave me so much trouble; she is fairly easy with a quick, light weapon, since she's so easily staggered, and so the kirkhammer's heavy attacks were not that useful and my damage output was low (visceral attacks didn't do such great damage either). When I switched to the untransformed Kirkhammer I did much better against her.

So despite my number of initial tries I consider Lady Maria easier than Laurence and Ludwig both. On later characters, Maria went down easier than them in general, especially with a skill build using the Blades of Mercy (which are, on the flipside, not that great against Ludwig or Laurence).

Honestly though? The Orphan never gave me much trouble with anyone. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Well okay, I did struggle helping a friend on NG+6, but, well, that was NG+6 and everything was a struggle and with the cooperator's HP penalty, I died often, I admit... so did he :p But overall, I find the Orphan's difficulty to be overstated.

I was originally using the axe but found it too slow for the dlc bosses. I've got a lvl 10 Ludwig I'm using but I've never levelled up my blood tinge or arcane so I can't use that much variety. I've got the saw but it's not upgraded.

Soulhouf

Ludwig - 2 tries

Honestly though? The Orphan never gave me much trouble with anyone. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It was like this for me first time:
Ludwig: 1 try
Failures: 2 tries
Maria: 3 tries (I almost got her in my first try, died in 2 sec in the 2nd try XD)
Kos: 2 tries
Laurence: 1 try

Granted, my character was OP (lv 90 with a +10 threaded cane and 18-19% gems).

Melchiah

To my recollection...

NG
Ludwig: 2 tries with NPC partner
LF: 3 tries
Maria: 7-10 tries
Kos: +10 tries
Laurence: 7-10 tries (EDIT: with NPC)

NG+
Ludwig: 1 try with two NPC partners
LF: 2 tries
Maria: 3-5 tries
Kos: 3 tries
Laurence: Yet to beat

On NG+ Maria was surpisingly hard to parry, and Kos' 1st form was more problematic for me than before. I used Cane for all, except Moonlight Sword against Kos on both times.

grmlin

Maria was pretty easy with the Reiterpallasch, as she get's staggered all the time.

I was somewhat sad beating her at my 2nd try, as I enjoyed the fight so much.

Laurence took me two tries, because I got stuck in some scenery... the others though, omg, Ludwig made me start a new run because I got frustrated lol. And Kos was insanely difficult for me but much much fun.

got to Father Gascoigne yesterday and managed to get his health to roughly 50%. he hits hard and i have little time to use a vial. i'm lvl 21 right now i think (might be getting confused with my DS3 character). i picked up the hunter set in the sewers. it seems to have better physical defence but the thrust attack is weaker. i'm using my hunters axe and pistol.

i got the tiny music box from his daughter so i will try use that against him next time. not really sure of the best way to deal with him.

grmlin

got to Father Gascoigne yesterday and managed to get his health to roughly 50%. he hits hard and i have little time to use a vial. i'm lvl 21 right now i think (might be getting confused with my DS3 character). i picked up the hunter set in the sewers. it seems to have better physical defence but the thrust attack is weaker. i'm using my hunters axe and pistol.

i got the tiny music box from his daughter so i will try use that against him next time. not really sure of the best way to deal with him.

First and foremost: you play both games simultaneously? I don't think I could do that :D

Cascoine isn't that bad, in the first phase he can be parried pretty easily, and if you use the music box try to get a critical and finish him quickly. If that's not enough, dodge into the beast, not away.

Good luck :)

First and foremost: you play both games simultaneously? I don't think I could do that :D

Cascoine isn't that bad, in the first phase he can be parried pretty easily, and if you use the music box try to get a critical and finish him quickly. If that's not enough, dodge into the beast, not away.

Good luck :)

yeah i'm playing both DS3 + Bloodborne. I have DS3 on my PC but wanted something to play on PS4 so decided to start Bloodborne early. I was going to wait until I finished DS3.

Thanks! Also would it be better to fight him up the stairs instead of down at the graves?

ha take from me who is new to the game. Gascoigne is only hard because you're new to the game, I bet if I roll a new character i'd wipe him easily now. I think I died more against him than any other boss.

grmlin

ha take from me who is new to the game. Gascoigne is only hard because you're new to the game, I bet if I roll a new character i'd wipe him easily now. I think I died more against him than any other boss.

pretty much this. I remember very well how long it took me to beat the first area lol. It was like: holy fuck they all hit so hard, and there are so many of them!

My second char didn't care at all, anymore :)

I always killed him at the graves btw.

Son Of D

Little late to this but:

NG

Ludwig - 3 attempts
Failures - 2 attempts
Maria - 2 attempts
Orphan - I lost count but it was at least 10
Laurence - 4 attempts

NG+

Ludwig - First try
Failures - First try
Maria - 2 attempts
Orphan - 2 attempts
Laurence - Yet to fight

All solo

i beat gascoigne! not moved onto the next area yet. just went back to his daughter with the item i found in that area and spend a bit of time getting blood echoes to levl up. got my hunters axe to +2 as well.

3649077654ae1a63995ea9da276b55d4.png

P L A T I N U M B O Y S

Haven't worked this hard for a platinum since God of War III. As frustrating as my 84 hours were with this game, damn if it isn't one of the best I've ever played. I'll cap off my time at LVL145, but should Sony release a 60fps patch for NEO, I'll jump in again for NG+.

Thanks for the help you guys offered me, this is a pretty supportive community!

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Can someone explain how to get the trophy for the chalice dungeons? I have three chalices:

Pthumeru Chalice
Ailing Loran Chalice
Isz Chalice

So do I just have to complete these three to get the trophy or is there any other funny business?

Edit: Just saw this picture on Reddit... So I have to do all this?!

EdYtWGZ.jpg

Can anyone help me with Laurence? Only boss I'm finding difficult, kos turned out to be easy.

Edit never mind the bell actually picked up another player. Damn bosses are easy in co-op.

That's the dlc done guess back to nightmare mensis unless the chalices are worth doing?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Melchiah

Can someone explain how to get the trophy for the chalice dungeons? I have three chalices:

Pthumeru Chalice
Ailing Loran Chalice
Isz Chalice

So do I just have to complete these three to get the trophy or is there any other funny business?

Edit: Just saw this picture on Reddit... So I have to do all this?!

EdYtWGZ.jpg

You don't need to do the root chalices. I'm not sure if Hintertombs are mandatory either. The good thing is, that those two are easy, the downside is that they're more boring than the later ones.

Ludwig - 2
Failures: 1
Lady Maria: 2
Orphan: 1
Laurence: 15

thats what it was for me. Laurence was such a son of a gun for me. He seemed like the hardest boss in the game to me.

Ludwig - 2
Failures: 1
Lady Maria: 2
Orphan: 1
Laurence: 15

thats what it was for me. Laurence was such a son of a gun for me. He seemed like the hardest boss in the game to me.

Funny thing about the dlc bosses they make the rest of the game and bosses such a breeze. Wet nurse genham and moon presence quite easy all down in one.

Genham fight was great, games story is so weird and subtle. It's very interesting and frustrating that it's teased like this.

played a little this morning. i got to the cathedral ward but there is a locked gate which says i need a special emblem or something. i have no idea what that might be. the only other way i can go is into old yharnam. there is some guy shooting at me from a clock tower or something and he's doing my head in! i don't know exactly where i am but i'm just after defeating a hunter. he reminds me of father gascoigne and he dropped stuff to make my bullets do more damage i think.

Melchiah

Funny thing about the dlc bosses they make the rest of the game and bosses such a breeze. Wet nurse genham and moon presence quite easy all down in one.

Genham fight was great, games story is so weird and subtle. It's very interesting and frustrating that it's teased like this.

That's why I'd personally recommend to create a backup save on a USB stick before facing the last main game bosses, and starting the DLC. Fighting them after the DLC would make them too easy. That way you can face them without being overleveled, and get all the three endings without needing to play through the game thrice.

EDIT: Regarding the Cathedral Ward gate, you can buy a key from the Messenger Shop in the dream for 10k echoes. Alternatively, you can open it by beating the boss in Old Yharnam.

played a little this morning. i got to the cathedral ward but there is a locked gate which says i need a special emblem or something. i have no idea what that might be. the only other way i can go is into old yharnam. there is some guy shooting at me from a clock tower or something and he's doing my head in! i don't know exactly where i am but i'm just after defeating a hunter. he reminds me of father gascoigne and he dropped stuff to make my bullets do more damage i think.

you can run by the guy at the top of the clocktower or run to the ladder and fight him, and once you beat the boss for that area as the other poster said, you can get into cathedral ward via upper cathedral entrance. this imo, is the preferred method since i dont like spending 10k echoes.

silva1991

3649077654ae1a63995ea9da276b55d4.png

P L A T I N U M B O Y S

Haven't worked this hard for a platinum since God of War III. As frustrating as my 84 hours were with this game, damn if it isn't one of the best I've ever played. I'll cap off my time at LVL145, but should Sony release a 60fps patch for NEO, I'll jump in again for NG+.

Thanks for the help you guys offered me, this is a pretty supportive community!

Congrats!! I enjoyed getting the plat myself except for defiled dungeon -__-

Didn't realize there was an OT for this.

I'm just starting out in the game. Just beat the wolf at the very beginning and mowed down a bunch of stuff in the early streets. I still have no idea what I'm doing.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Congrats!! I enjoyed getting the plat myself except for defiled dungeon -__-

Man fuck those dungeons. I feel they could have done anything else to try and make them harder(no light so always had to have a torch, enemies explode blood, I dunno, more rats?) but halve your health making everything basically one shot you filled with bosses with the largest hitboxes. Just... man fuck those dungeons.

Top Bottom