• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Thanks for the info. I'm aware of the better PC version of DS but I have no PC capable of playing it, and won't for quite a while. So I'm wondering in that case if its better to just play it on consoles now rather than wait? As I really do have the hunger to play more of the series.

I played the 360 version and it was alright, not sure about the framerate on the PS3. You should give it a try there only one zone that have bad framerate

Jump in, it's perfectly fine on console.

Blighttown is the area with the frame rate trouble - an early game area, made much worse by having multiplayer in that area, so be aware of that if playing online. Everywhere else is fine.

Soulhouf

Thanks for the info. I'm aware of the better PC version of DS but I have no PC capable of playing it, and won't for quite a while. So I'm wondering in that case if its better to just play it on consoles now rather than wait? As I really do have the hunger to play more of the series.

Since you have a PS3, start with Demon's Souls. It's the first and IMO the best game in the series.

Thanks for the advice everyone :) I'll be getting Dark Souls on the PS3 then. I've already completed Demon Souls last year, loved it. I have to replay it though as I mainly focused on range attacks on my first playthrough, so I want to do a more close combat build next go round.

Meanwhile, I've hit a brick wall on the Old Hunters. I've met
Orphan of Kos
and I'm having a hard time with him. He's really quick and does a shit ton of damage. I've managed to get to his second phase a couple of times but I'm still trying to memorise his different attacks. Parrying his attacks is proving to be tough as well... Awesome boss battle though, I just need more time to learn the boss battle inside out...

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Meanwhile, I've hit a brick wall on the Old Hunters. I've met
Orphan of Kos
and I'm having a hard time with him. He's really quick and does a shit ton of damage. I've managed to get to his second phase a couple of times but I'm still trying to memorise his different attacks. Parrying his attacks is proving to be tough as well... Awesome boss battle though, I just need more time to learn the boss battle inside out...

Took me three weeks of evenings to beat him. I literally screamed when I finally took him down.

Took me three weeks of evenings to beat him. I literally screamed when I finally took him down.

I took a lunch break and tried again. Took 3-4 tries of figuring out how I wanted to play the fight before taking him down, but I managed it!
I found countering his first phase attacks to be my best bet, my timing was a few seconds out all this time, once I adjusted that I parried almost every attack of his in the first phase, which was great news as the second phase still kicked my ass! I just had to evade and attack where possible... Tough as heck, I'd probably rank it as the hardest boss in the game, I mean I had issues with
Blood Starved Beast at the beginning, and didn't find Paarl very easy - I feel I fluked that battle
but this one really took the biscuit. Probably the most satisfying victory I had since beating the real final boss in the main game!

One thing that surprised me though was the boss battle against
Lawrence
. With all the big bosses in the DLC I expected him to kick my ass, but his pattern clicked with me fairly quick. It was still a close battle, but I'd say he was proably the second easiest boss in the DLC for me (not really saying much though, since almost all of the bosses in the DLC are harder than almost any main game boss in my opinion!). Really glad I left the DLC until the end of the game, I'd have been way to weak to tackle some of the stuff it threw at me if I'd have attempted it earlier in the game.

I also managed to get all the weapons, wasn't really going for that trophy but I was only missing 2-3 so it only took a couple of minutes to get.

I took a lunch break and tried again. Took 3-4 tries of figuring out how I wanted to play the fight before taking him down, but I managed it!
I found countering his first phase attacks to be my best bet, my timing was a few seconds out all this time, once I adjusted that I parried almost every attack of his in the first phase, which was great news as the second phase still kicked my ass! I just had to evade and attack where possible... Tough as heck, I'd probably rank it as the hardest boss in the game, I mean I had issues with
Blood Starved Beast at the beginning, and didn't find Paarl very easy - I feel I fluked that battle
but this one really took the biscuit. Probably the most satisfying victory I had since beating the real final boss in the main game!

One thing that surprised me though was the boss battle against
Lawrence
. With all the big bosses in the DLC I expected him to kick my ass, but his pattern clicked with me fairly quick. It was still a close battle, but I'd say he was proably the second easiest boss in the DLC for me (not really saying much though, since almost all of the bosses in the DLC are harder than almost any main game boss in my opinion!). Really glad I left the DLC until the end of the game, I'd have been way to weak to tackle some of the stuff it threw at me if I'd have attempted it earlier in the game.

I also managed to get all the weapons, wasn't really going for that trophy but I was only missing 2-3 so it only took a couple of minutes to get.

Larry is hard but since he shares his moveset with cleric beast he maybe easy for some
You have to buy a dlc pistol from the vendors in the Dream
Did you do the sidequest on the research hall?

Larry is hard but since he shares his moveset with cleric beast he maybe easy for some
You have to buy a dlc pistol from the vendors in the Dream
Did you do the sidequest on the research hall?

Which sidequest was in the research hall? I remember getting
Brain Fluid from the blob at the top of the clocktower
but that's about it. I'm terrible at side quests in this game as I either miss them or never bother finishing them because I forget about them!

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
but that's about it. I'm terrible at side quests in this game as I either miss them or never bother finishing them because I forget about them!

I believe you have to get 3 of them for Adeline for the Milkweed rune.

Anyone else having trouble playing online? I was trying to co-op with a buddy earlier on Nightmare Frontier and it wouldn't connect. Also, in different areas bloodstains/messages wouldn't appear. Not sure what the issue might've been.

On the first floor you will find one of the patients being tied to a chair, talk to her to start the sidequest, she will ask for brain fluid dropped by three big gliant blops in the area.

You will get acces to a secret area, a spell and a rune

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I just got to the last boss in the DLC and that lead up to the fight was just something else wow. The whole final area is just insane, I had to take a break to post here.

gwailo

Banned
Got to Amygldala last night and got my ass handed to me pretty bad, even with summoning someone to help, I only got her down about halfway. I was pretty cocky since the surrounding area was pretty easy for me, but this game has a way of keeping your confidence in check :)

I just got to the last boss in the DLC and that lead up to the fight was just something else wow. The whole final area is just insane, I had to take a break to post here.

Yeah, there were some pretty intense battles leading up to the last boss. I was even more relieved than usual to reach some lanterns/short cuts!

need some advice for the DLC area. I'm lvl 74, do a ton of damage, I counter attack for 1k. But I feel I need to grind some more, maybe level up some weapons, Wheres good for grinding blood echos and the final weapon mat?

I'm mainly using the AXE.

pissing me off having to go back to central Y just to farm blood vials as well, you should get full when you die.

gwailo

Banned
Your blood vial count will go back up to 20 if you have enough in reserve. At that level, farming for vials in Central Yarnham probably isn't worth the time. I would go somewhere where you can get a decent amount of echoes and then use those to buy vials from the bath messenger, otherwise whenever you go back to the hunters dream and have a few thousand extra just use those to buy vials.

horkrux

There's pigs in Nightmare of Mensis. Run up and kill them, rinse and repeat - with the right runes equipped ('moon'), you can easily get almost 100k echoes per run (also killing dudes in your way). I'd def play up to that point first before going back to the DLC. It's just a crazy good farming spot and you will never care about running out of vials again.

need some advice for the DLC area. I'm lvl 74, do a ton of damage, I counter attack for 1k. But I feel I need to grind some more, maybe level up some weapons, Wheres good for grinding blood echos and the final weapon mat?

pissing me off having to go back to central Y just to farm blood vials as well, you should get full when you die.

In the area before Wet Nurse mergo, farm everything there for bloodvials and echoes or in the first part of mensis, kills the giants and the pale wolves for echoes. Or if you are in chalices farm ailing loran for echoes

Bronetta

Have you reached Mergo's Loft in Nightmare of Mensis? Killing the pigs + Shadows of Yharnam gives a lot of echoes. Probably the best spot for farming blood echoes.

Have you reached Mergo's Loft in Nightmare of Mensis? Killing the pigs + Shadows of Yharnam gives a lot of echoes. Probably the best spot for farming blood echoes.

I stayed away from mensis as its the only area I can go and didn't want to accidentally finish the game before the DLC. I will try there then.

grmlin

Mergo's and the pigs is really amazing for farming souls. Use the runes for more souls by viscerals and parry the shadows and butfist the pigs. LOTS of souls. You'll buy all the vials you can and you'll be fine.

Persona7

Banned
There's pigs in Nightmare of Mensis. Run up and kill them, rinse and repeat - with the right runes equipped ('moon'), you can easily get almost 100k echoes per run (also killing dudes in your way). I'd def play up to that point first before going back to the DLC. It's just a crazy good farming spot and you will never care about running out of vials again.

Lure the pigs to the group of guys near the stairs so they kill each other and you save like 20-30 seconds.

Bronetta

I was having issues with mensis just found the area very frustrating, don't know why it isn't even that hard. Gave up for the weekend.

It's the constant frenzy isn't it? Wait till you find out what's causing it :D

I can now safely say I like Bloodborne more than DS3. I can play both...but I just find Bloodborne more fun. Maybe it's because I know that shit in and out already, but the mechanics and combat just entertain me more. Was running around with my strength build with the pizza cutter lately, god damn that shit is good.

It's the constant frenzy isn't it? Wait till you find out what's causing it :D

not so much that, it is easy to avoid. It was those dog like things that let out snakes if you don't counter attack kill them. I dunno I just found the area annoying if you died, I hate going through that area again. Of course I can just run past everything to the door on the left with the spiders.

grmlin

not so much that, it is easy to avoid. It was those dog like things that let out snakes if you don't counter attack kill them. I dunno I just found the area annoying if you died, I hate going through that area again. Of course I can just run past everything to the door on the left with the spiders.

Kill the beasts with fire paper or a weapon with a fire gem, no snakes then ;)

Bronetta

Kill the beasts with fire paper or a weapon with a fire gem, no snakes then ;)

Either that or just ignore the snakes, they're a huge pain to deal with.

grmlin

Either that or just ignore the snakes, they're a huge pain to deal with.
That's works, too, of course.

The first time I saw these snakes was in that pit in the courtyard of Logarius' castle and I thought: pffffff, little snakes, kill them fast. Lol. I was so dead.

horkrux

I can now safely say I like Bloodborne more than DS3. I can play both...but I just find Bloodborne more fun. Maybe it's because I know that shit in and out already, but the mechanics and combat just entertain me more. Was running around with my strength build with the pizza cutter lately, god damn that shit is good.

I kind of feel the same. Bloodborne was refreshingly different. The fact that DS3 is even more linear than Bloodborne also had me come to really appreciate what the latter had to offer. The greater build variety didn't really help to alleviate that. Always been my biggest gripe with Bloodborne, but in the end it didn't matter much. I don't know.. maybe it's just fatigue..the upgrade system with the many wildly different gems is also way more interesting than the bare bones copypasted system from DS2. Hell, I even sort of came to like the chalice dungeons... in a way.

I kind of feel the same. Bloodborne was refreshingly different. The fact that DS3 is even more linear than Bloodborne also had me come to really appreciate what the latter had to offer. The greater build variety didn't really help to alleviate that. Always been my biggest gripe with Bloodborne, but in the end it didn't matter much. I don't know.. maybe it's just fatigue..the upgrade system with the many wildly different gems is also way more interesting than the bare bones copypasted system from DS2. Hell, I even sort of came to like the chalice dungeons... in a way.
I don't even think the chalice dungeons are that bad since if you've done them enough times and know what you need to be prepared for them you can just blast through them shits in about 15-20 minutes. I was trying a magic build in DS3, shit does not work for me. I feel in DS3 you need to just pad the health stat to counter act some of the dumb fuckery in DS3 not to mention every enemy has a god damn rush down attack that will take priority of what you do. Getting upgrade material is a pain in the ass, can't get enough stat gems in DS3 to make more than like 2 dex weapons and so forth. It seems to be at its best for me the first time. On a second character the bullshit annoyances of DS3 really just seem to shine through. Even ENB was like "I'm done, I'm not enjoying this anymore."

grmlin

Yeah, ENB isn't too happy about it in the end I think. He stopped DS3 and plans to do a proper Demon Souls lets play. I like that as I'll probably never play this (no PS3).

I enjoyed his blind playthrough of DS3 though.

Yeah, ENB isn't too happy about it in the end I think. He stopped DS3 and plans to do a proper Demon Souls lets play. I like that as I'll probably never play this (no PS3).

I enjoyed his blind playthrough of DS3 though.
He'll probably start it and stop it right before he beats it as usual.
Does pthumerian labyrinth not have a layer 4? And is there any important gear stuck in chalice dungeons?
Higher level gems, you get some armors from certain bosses, not too many though, Beast Claws. The first dungeon is too simple to have a depth four, I think most usually have a max of three depths with the exception of a small few if I remember right.

I was having issues with mensis just found the area very frustrating, don't know why it isn't even that hard. Gave up for the weekend.

the way i do mensis is....

kill first enemy thing and skip the slugs or whatever...
kill the little dude as u run up the path to get some blood chunks.
get item and run to first lamp and turn it on.
then run and stay to your right....
keep running and ull pass a total of 3 giant boulder throwing dudes. ull be getting frenzied so you may need to heal while running.
as your running youll see another lamp... use it to go back to hunters dream.

then go back to mensis using the lamp you just used.

now kill the 3 boulder guys. first one is by himself
throw a rock at second one as 2 are grouped up so you want to take one on at a time.
once you kill those 3...

run towards the bridge area and keep running...right after the bridge youll be making a left then going around towards your right and youll be passing a bunch of boulder guys but just keep running and youll reach a building to open doors.

open the doors, then go in. kill the bell lady to your right (if you want to prevent invasions) but dont aggro the spiders. (youll aggro the spiders if you run forward to far. instead just take the right immediately when you enter the room to kill the bell lady)
then go back out from how you came in and you can work your way back towards the bridge to get any items you missed. (its always easier working backwards and the
mother brain wont frenzy you unless you go near that bridge

then go back in the building and deal with the spiders. you can aggro them then turn back into the hall you came in and only the little spiders will follow so you can kill them seperately, then fight the big spider by herself.

but thats the easiest way to do that section without having to deal with the frenzy to much.

if you need more help after that, let me know

and if you want i can help you co op it. I got a character very close to your level

grmlin

For me the frenzy itself wasn't too bad. There was always some cover to heal up.

But fuck those winter lanterns on the way to
the first blood rock and the eye
. They are, beside the
Sharks
in the DLC and the
Bloodlickers in Cainhurst
the enemies I always have a chance to fuck it up and die.

For me the frenzy itself wasn't too bad. There was always some cover to heal up.

. They are, beside the
Sharks
in the DLC and the

200 frenzy resist + crow beak + ashen set and 2 eye gems make them farmable(in otherwords super easy) for best story gems.

take the frenzy hit and just vial up

. They are, beside the
Sharks
in the DLC and the
Just rush their asses and go to town. I usually go at them unlocked and just make sure you roll away from their grab attack. Just make sure you have a +8 or 9 weapon. I was in Nightmare Frontier and the +8 Pizza Cutter fucked the one up by the Messengers Gift.

just started playing yesterday. beat the cleric beast today and levelled up a bit. the only thing putting me off is the framerate. what i'd give to play this on PC. it wasn't that bad until i played online so maybe that's it? feels like it's at 10-15fps.

Top Bottom