• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Man fuck those dungeons. I feel they could have done anything else to try and make them harder(no light so always had to have a torch, enemies explode blood, I dunno, more rats?) but halve your health making everything basically one shot you filled with bosses with the largest hitboxes. Just... man fuck those dungeons.
I've plowed through enough chalice dungeons to consider them "Not that bad" though my usual "I need to take a break from this shit" point is usually defiled fucking Amygdala cause god damn that one is bull shit. My usual fuck this bullshit points are the spider mobs and when they start giving you bosses as random enemies like the clusters of witches of hemwick you start getting in some root dungeons. Those are just straight maddening at times. I think Root defiled dungeons are just crazy. Those I don't do too much.

horkrux

I've found a really nice strategy for Amygdala on the wiki, which is especially useful in chalices. I've done it a bit differently though to not get hit ever. Takes longer, but is way more secure imo:

Stand behind her right leg and keep hitting the hand that is dangling there. You usually bait her to try and stomp you (keep some distance and it won't ever hit), jump (stand still and when she lands run back to your spot) or flail wildly, which won't hit you.
The only problem is when she suddenly decides to turn around. I think it's best to make a break for it through her legs, passing the tail on the right side (important).

When she rips her arms out you run up the last hand dangling on her left and whack it, which prompts her to either stomp or jump. The jump is a bit more dangerous here, so it's mandatory to really try to stay in front of that hand. She likes to turn to face you before she jumps so you have to constantly run back to it, otherwise standing still won't work.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Didn't realize there was an OT for this.

I'm just starting out in the game. Just beat the wolf at the very beginning and mowed down a bunch of stuff in the early streets. I still have no idea what I'm doing.

Just go out and kill a few beasts. You know, it's just what hunters do.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Finally befriended Djura, now I'd like to make a beeline for the DLC for the first time. Someone nudge me in the right direction?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Finally befriended Djura, now I'd like to make a beeline for the DLC for the first time. Someone nudge me in the right direction?
Beat Vicar Amelia, pick up item that shows up in Hunter's Dream, go to the Cathedral Ward near where you picked up the top hat and let yourself get grabbed by the invisible monster.

Didn't realize there was an OT for this.

I'm just starting out in the game. Just beat the wolf at the very beginning and mowed down a bunch of stuff in the early streets. I still have no idea what I'm doing.

Explore and you will reach different areas, there is not a "dead end". Enjoy the hunt

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think my skill has regressed.

Yesterday I was able to get to the two wolves on the bridge. Today, I can't get past the horde of enemies around that fire in front of a huge gate.

Yesterday I was able to get to the two wolves on the bridge. Today, I can't get past the horde of enemies around that fire in front of a huge gate.

You can ignore them, the enemies de aggro after a certain distance, look for shortcuts too

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Don't rush into groups, try to lure enemies one at a time. I pretty much treated my first playthrough like it was a horror game.

Don't rush into groups, try to lure enemies one at a time. I pretty much treated my first playthrough like it was a horror game.

One of the hardest part of bloodborne is the Unknown. The first area will take a noob hours and hours probably, I've just started a ng+ and it took me about 10 mins to kill cleric beast and gascoine. It's actually quite a short game if you stick to the main route.

Toxi

Banned
Bloodborne: The Card Game was at Gencon. Some lucky soul got their hands on it and posted their unboxing.

4naA6kG.jpg

Can't wait until it comes out. Only thing is I wish they could have had both the main game and Old Hunters content; maybe we'll see an expansion if it's successful.

Son Of D

One of the hardest part of bloodborne is the Unknown. The first area will take a noob hours and hours probably, I've just started a ng+ and it took me about 10 mins to kill cleric beast and gascoine. It's actually quite a short game if you stick to the main route.

It really is. After I went through NG+ to get a different ending from what I got on my first run I just decided to rush through the game to get the final ending. Less than 2 hours to run through the game, with a mild diversion to fight Cleric Beast and to get the Blood Rock from Mensis.

So I've been playing bloodborne after I'd just finished up all of the Dark Souls games. I have been struggling to get into this one. I've just found it so much more tedious than the souls games. There have been a few brick wall bosses, and a lot of bizarre backtracking? You beat a boss and suddenly a random door you walked by two hours ago opens up and unlocks a path? Why? A lot of bosses are dead ends leaving you very little clues as to what to do next. Which ultimately leaves me consulting a guide to get some direction; the last thing I want to be doing.

I so want to love this game like I love Souls :(. I'm currently at
Rom the spider
and after having been gibbed by him for the 20th time I just lost my desire to really push forward. Does it get better after him? Is it worse?

So I've been playing bloodborne after I'd just finished up all of the Dark Souls games. I have been struggling to get into this one. I've just found it so much more tedious than the souls games. There have been a few brick wall bosses, and a lot of bizarre backtracking? You beat a boss and suddenly a random door you walked by two hours ago opens up and unlocks a path? Why? A lot of bosses are dead ends leaving you very little clues as to what to do next. Which ultimately leaves me consulting a guide to get some direction; the last thing I want to be doing.

Rom the spider
and after having been gibbed by him for the 20th time I just lost my desire to really push forward. Does it get better after him? Is it worse?
I honestly consider Rom to be the worst boss in the game. She's like a chore to me honestly. That's not even the hardest version of Rom.

Bronetta

Rom the spider

RPQif2R.gif

Rom represents a turning point in the game and it's a she. I could never get into Demon/Dark Souls but I loved Bloodborne and finished it on my first playthrough without having to use a guide. I'm sure you can beat it without a guide too!

Melchiah

Huh, I never had problems with remembering where the path was previously blocked, or figuring out where to go next. One of the locked doors is right next to a Cathedral Ward lantern, one requires an emblem, one requires a password, another requires a key, and you're teleported to one after beating a boss. Not to mention, that the item descriptions provide all the information you need. So, I think most of them are fairly obvious, and the first locked door is easy to check when you go past the lantern several times. It's not that different from, say, the old Resident Evil games.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That's kinda crazy, and interesting. I was really instantly hooked by the world of Bloodborne even more directly than the Souls games. I certainly didn't consider getting through it to be more opaque than the original Dark Souls, which had a lot more opportunities for "wrong way frustration" in comparison during my playthroughs, though I love it too of course.

I did have to ask for hints and slight direction on GAF a handful of times, but that's very much like my experience with all of them and part of the fun.

Beat
Ludwig
last night after quite a few tries, awesome introductory boss. Nothing like getting a kill on a boss with a visceral.

Tarkus

I honestly consider Rom to be the worst boss in the game. She's like a chore to me honestly. That's not even the hardest version of Rom.
Amen. The Chalice version made me take a break for a while. I hate farming vials after getting rekt over and over.

SDR-UK

Rom is honestly one of the easiest bosses to deal with. Just run parallel to her whilst she's raining meteors, back up whilst she does the AOE and swing after the melee.

Sure, there's a little more to it than that but the moves are very telegraphed and the spiders don't pose much difficulty (and are excellent for charging Beast Meter).

Given that you can one cycle her in most cases, she is easy enough to deal with I find.

Now Micolash? He can suck it.

Deku Tree

If you develop any kind of ranged attack then Micolash can be easily cheesed. And even without that Micolash can be cheesed with the same number of poison knives on any NG cycle.

Without the cheese I find Micolash to be one of the worst bosses that FROM has ever made.

SDR-UK

If you develop any kind of ranged attack then Micolash can be easily cheesed. And even without that Micolash can be cheesed with the same number of poison knives on any NG cycle.

Yeah, that's true (specifically if you drop to the last area before him) but fighting him legitimately is a thousand times harder than Rom is in this game, even the Chalice Dungeons version.

Deku Tree

Yeah, that's true (specifically if you drop to the last area before him) but fighting him legitimately is a thousand times harder than Rom is in this game, even the Chalice Dungeons version.

Yeah Without the cheese I find Micolash to be one of the worst bosses that FROM has ever made.

It feels like RNG. You do the booring run around the area for too long and then he can easily one shot you depending on where he's standing when you drop down into his last room.

Deku Tree

What other boss(es) would you put alongside Micolash as a reference? I truly believe he ranks as the worst.

Well on the opposite end of the spectrum the
plunge attack
dragon in DS3 is pretty dull due to how silly the fight is.

Haven't played DS1-2 or DeS.

Tarkus

I usually beat Micolash on the first try on NG. Try it on NG+2 or 3. Everything is a one shot.
This is coming from an almost-exclusively Souls PvPer: I would never get enjoyment out of Bloodborne NG+ and beyond, fuck that, too much HP. I'm at NG+2 on one of my DS3 characters, and that's because I needed more areas open to host!

J2d

Those witches of hemwick in the chalice dungeons can be really fucking brutal, minions respawn too fast and I feel like I have to roll the dice and just hope I can get out of the area after killing the witch and then try to mop up the rest. Hardest mobs by far :/

Bronetta

Rom and Micolash telegraph the fuck out of their attacks.

Micolash is a joke, get in his ass with quick attacks and dodge away when you're out of stamina, he'll use Augur of Ebrietas every time. Dodging gives you enough time to regain stamina and get back on his ass. A Call Beyond can be troublesome if you don't dodge properly.

Rom gives you a lot of time before every attack she does. The only way you should be dying is if the minions gang up on you but that fight is all about spacing anyway. Once you're familiar with the 3-4 attacks Rom has, you shouldnt be getting hit by her. Don't just run up to her, go around to her rear/side where the spiders aren't bunched up and keep moving.

I understand they can be unpredictable and hard to figure out on your first playthrough though.

What other boss(es) would you put alongside Micolash as a reference? I truly believe he ranks as the worst.

DS1 Painwheel since he/they are just a necromancer ,DS2 have a rat boss (is just a rat) , DS3 have a kinda QTE dragon boss, BB DLC Maria is just a normal enemy hunter but her presentation is quite fightening it elevates her to godlike status.

Demon Souls final boss is really something else if you dont follow the lore

Melchiah

I usually beat Micolash on the first try on NG. Try it on NG+2 or 3. Everything is a one shot.

I beat him on the first try on NG+. I've never been killed by a single strike in that fight, and it's actually one of my favorite boss fights in the game.

JJShadow

Micolash in NG+ is real bullshit, most frustrating boss ever. I remember I got one-shoted like 15 times in a row, and this having already 50 points in vitality, it was like "are you fucking kidding me?". Completely insane, it's not a hard boss at all, it's a boss made specifically to drive you mad and throw the Dualshock through the window

myco666

All this shit talk, meanwhile at Mergos Loft

bloodborne__micolash_laugh_by_menaslg-d902csy.jpg

Micolash is one of the best if not the best boss in the game. Right up there with G's.

Soulhouf

I love every single boss in this game (like in Demon's Souls) unlike Dark Souls 1 and especially 2 where there was boring uninteresting bosses.
Here all of them are interesting in some way (gameplay, design, inspiration, atmosphere, lore, music) That's I like every one of them even the Chalice ones, which makes me shrug especially when I see that BB Chalice bosses are better than Dark Souls II main game bosses.

Rom and Ebrietas are among my favorite because IMO they have everything: interesting gameplay, fantastic design, good inspiration/lore and incredible atmosphere and music.

silva1991

Bloodborne: The Card Game was at Gencon. Some lucky soul got their hands on it and posted their unboxing.

Can't wait until it comes out. Only thing is I wish they could have had both the main game and Old Hunters content; maybe we'll see an expansion if it's successful.

the only card game that I'm willing to buy

edit: no DLC monsters/bosses cards? DISAPPOINTING.

Micolash is one of the best if not the best boss in the game. Right up there with G's.

I love the boss, but man I wish we could invade as him like Old Monk from Demon Souls.

trolling the host would have been amazing there lol.

Son Of D

I love the boss, but man I wish we could invade as him like Old Monk from Demon Souls.

trolling the host would have been amazing there lol.

I've seen some Micolash cosplays, including a vid where 3 co-op players were dressed as Micolash and two of them lured an invader near a pit before the third one pushed him down a hole with the last thing the invader saw was the two Micolash lurers using the Make Contact gesture. I'll try and find a link to it.

Nev

Banned

I had no idea their faces were this awesomely creepy. The lack of model viewer is such a huge missed opportunity. They could've used models as rewards for chalice dungeons or something.

Veelk

Banned

Can't agree, but I had a unique experience with him. I never figured out that you're supposed to push him into a particular corner, so I just kept shooting him down with my powered up Evelyn when his bitch ass kept running away. I still haven't fought him properly 1 v 1.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Micolash is a shit boss, can't believe people are praising him.

It's uh, kind of unique the first time I guess, but on replas it's just incredibly tedious to go through.

Melchiah

It's uh, kind of unique the first time I guess, but on replas it's just incredibly tedious to go through.

I've fought him three times, never been one-shotted, and I enjoyed the fight every single time. I tend to enjoy the gimmick bosses though, like Witches of Hemwick and DS3's
Ancient Wyvern
. I also have fond memories of the gimmick bosses in Soul Reaver back in the day.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Ugh really? I hate that boss precisely because his rantings are annoying to hear (I mash X to skip everything) and it's just flat-out boring to always run after him.

Then again I hate runners in PvP too, I'd rather just fight :p

Soulhouf

I'm not saying it's not tedious but tedious doesn't mean bad for me :p
I love his dialogue, the atmosphere, the music, the design of the area. The battle against the boss itself isn't that great but (for me at least), a boss isn't only the battle. It must be creative in many ways and Micolash is a great boss for that reason.

Champion Gundir on the other hand is almost a bad boss for me because he doesn't have anything. There is only the duel to save him from being a DS2-level shitty boss.

Top Bottom