• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

silva1991

I've seen some Micolash cosplays, including a vid where 3 co-op players were dressed as Micolash and two of them lured an invader near a pit before the third one pushed him down a hole with the last thing the invader saw was the two Micolash lurers using the Make Contact gesture. I'll try and find a link to it.

I've seen the videos of Micolash characters in his boss room, but it doesn't scratch that Old Monk invasion itch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f6tljxSRos

Son Of D

"Hey Mico it's your Kosm Rom. Want to go bowling?"

How is pvp in this game now, is it dead? What level should I stop levelling to participate I think I'm 114 currently.

I don't know much about the PvP but my friend who does a bit tells me it's fairly active and the highest level is said to be 120. Someone who does PvP can give you a better answer though.

spyder_ur

I'm not as huge of a Souls fan as most of you here. That being said, Micolash is one of my least favorite bosses I've ever played. Combines several of my least favorite boss elements: teleportation, cheap one shot kills, annoying minions, chasing. I will say the atmosphere is really cool even though I don't understand the lore at all.

I'm doing a run through of the game now. Also bought the DLC.

I'm around level 80 and I cannot for the life of me even get by the gatling gun hunter. Was trying to kite him a bit and backed up right into our old friend
BSB
. Not sure what to do or where to go - don't feel ready to go through that section.

Tarkus

Well Micolash is clearly a love or hate boss. I'm personally not a fun, but whatever. I liked most of the bosses in this game. Micolash is low on the list though. So far, the DLC bosses are the best; although, I haven't finished yet (just started I think).

Melchiah

I'm around level 80 and I cannot for the life of me even get by the gatling gun hunter. Was trying to kite him a bit and backed up right into our old friend
BSB
. Not sure what to do or where to go - don't feel ready to go through that section.

Use the rock after the tunnel entrance to your advantage, and keep it between you and him when he shoots.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
If nothing else, Micolash's ramblings add a bit more lore. Before the DLC came around, I always wondered what "The grand lake of mud, hidden now from sight" was.

I'm not as huge of a Souls fan as most of you here. That being said, Micolash is one of my least favorite bosses I've ever played. Combines several of my least favorite boss elements: teleportation, cheap one shot kills, annoying minions, chasing. I will say the atmosphere is really cool even though I don't understand the lore at all.

BSB

If you're talking about the dlc Gatling gun guy then there is nothing in there besides a trick weapon. Run past him Grab it and run out or just die. I skipped that guy too. You need to make your way to the water and climb up the bridge with the shooters on.

Shit are you talking out the Gatling from the base game at level 80? Go and kill him he will drop like a fly now, but that area is nothing but a dead end to a boss.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So I just finished binge watching Stranger Things, and I totally made the Make Contact gesture in my living room during you-know-what. C'mon, I had to...

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

BSB

What weapon are you using? If you have something small and fast (think BoM or Saw Cleaver), draw him into the corridor you entered by. He can't really jump about that much and you can slash him up fairly quickly then hide behind the rock in the room. Rinse and repeat!

spyder_ur

Use the rock after the tunnel entrance to your advantage, and keep it between you and him when he shoots.

If you're talking about the dlc Gatling gun guy then there is nothing in there besides a trick weapon. Run past him Grab it and run out or just die. I skipped that guy too. You need to make your way to the water and climb up the bridge with the shooters on.

Shit are you talking out the Gatling from the base game at level 80? Go and kill him he will drop like a fly now, but that area is nothing but a dead end to a boss.

What weapon are you using? If you have something small and fast (think BoM or Saw Cleaver), draw him into the corridor you entered by. He can't really jump about that much and you can slash him up fairly quickly then hide behind the rock in the room. Rinse and repeat!

Thanks for the tips. No, I'm talking about the DLC guy in the caves - the guy in Old Yharnam is long gone. I'm generally using my trusty Ludwig's.

I think I know where I need to go now. I was in that area with the bridge earlier, unlocked the shortcut. Saw the two big fellas in the open area and nope'd right on out of there.

Melchiah

Thanks for the tips. No, I'm talking about the DLC guy in the caves - the guy in Old Yharnam is long gone. I'm generally using my trusty Ludwig's.

I think I know where I need to go now. I was in that area with the bridge earlier, unlocked the shortcut. Saw the two big fellas in the open area and nope'd right on out of there.

You can run past the big guys, and
sneak up and visceral strike them when they've returned to their posts.

Finally progressing with my BB run, I'm basically at the point of:

A) farming Mergo's loft for echoes/co-op fix
B) Up to Rom in the Chalice Dungeons, but he's battering me
C) Up to the Research Hall in the DLC, after being stuck on those two Surgery Altar bastards for a while. Lore q: are these brain people prototype Winter Lanterns or something?

I'm trying to use the Moonlight Blade and have it up to a L8, but am finding it generally quite slow and blocky... inferior to the holy blade anyway. Am I misusing it?! I feel like it should be awesome!

Rom is honestly one of the easiest bosses to deal with. Just run parallel to her whilst she's raining meteors, back up whilst she does the AOE and swing after the melee.

Sure, there's a little more to it than that but the moves are very telegraphed and the spiders don't pose much difficulty (and are excellent for charging Beast Meter).

Given that you can one cycle her in most cases, she is easy enough to deal with I find.

Now Micolash? He can suck it.

I ended up beating rom with the tonitrus.. Nothing else I'd seen in terms of strategy was as effective as using that at +6. Now I'm in
yahar'gul
and I'm bored.. I don't know, I feel like I shouldn't be having as unfun of a time as I'm having. Maybe I'm burnt out on souls and need a rest. I went through all three games+dlc in the last three months before hitting bloodborne.

The start of this game and the fight against Father Gascgoine felt epic, but I am really bored of Ludwig's Holy Sword and I feel like there's nothing fun in terms of exploring the environments compared to dark souls. I'm not finding cool armor or weapons anywhere, no power ups for anything... I know this is the OT so everyone here loves it and I don't mean to shit on it. I just am struggling right now.

Finally progressing with my BB run, I'm basically at the point of:

A) farming Mergo's loft for echoes/co-op fix
B) Up to Rom in the Chalice Dungeons, but he's battering me
C) Up to the Research Hall in the DLC, after being stuck on those two Surgery Altar bastards for a while. Lore q: are these brain people prototype Winter Lanterns or something?

I'm trying to use the Moonlight Blade and have it up to a L8, but am finding it generally quite slow and blocky... inferior to the holy blade anyway. Am I misusing it?! I feel like it should be awesome!

Where you find he moonlight blade? I killed Ludwig but I didn't receive it.

Toxi

Banned
I've fought him three times, never been one-shotted, and I enjoyed the fight every single time. I tend to enjoy the gimmick bosses though, like Witches of Hemwick and DS3's
Ancient Wyvern
. I also have fond memories of the gimmick bosses in Soul Reaver back in the day.
I like the Witch of Hemwick, but Micolash just rubs me the wrong way. There's a great idea with the chasing him, but the execution ends up really just being two lame hunter battles back to back.

-Horizon-

Coming back to Bloodborne to get the last ending after playing through dark souls 3. Oh man I need time to adjust back to this lol
On to rom.

Obscura

FUCK Defiled Amygdala.

I've only died to the jump which is infuriating because once I learned to stand still it made Nightmare Frontier Amy so much easier. I guess Defiled Amy doesn't give a shit about that.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Just beat Bloodborne for the fourth time and got the Platinum trophy. Loved every hit of the game and the DLC but those chalice dungeons.... Never again.

I think this game places in my best game of all time. The lore elevates the game so much. Everything carries so much meaning and weight. Glad to have gotten the Platinum but a little bittersweet feeling knowing I've done everything.

Bring on Bloodborne 2!

Melchiah

I like the Witch of Hemwick, but Micolash just rubs me the wrong way. There's a great idea with the chasing him, but the execution ends up really just being two lame hunter battles back to back.

The first encounter with Micolash was something special for me, which is why I haven't got tired of it in the subsequent runs. I loved how different it's from all the other bosses, and the bits of lore it offers. I didn't care that much about fighting the skeletons either though.

I ended up beating rom with the tonitrus.. Nothing else I'd seen in terms of strategy was as effective as using that at +6. Now I'm in
yahar'gul
and I'm bored.. I don't know, I feel like I shouldn't be having as unfun of a time as I'm having. Maybe I'm burnt out on souls and need a rest. I went through all three games+dlc in the last three months before hitting bloodborne.

The start of this game and the fight against Father Gascgoine felt epic, but I am really bored of Ludwig's Holy Sword and I feel like there's nothing fun in terms of exploring the environments compared to dark souls. I'm not finding cool armor or weapons anywhere, no power ups for anything... I know this is the OT so everyone here loves it and I don't mean to shit on it. I just am struggling right now.

I used Tonitrus against Rom on my first run as well, because I ran out of Bolt Paper, and didn't want to grind echoes for more, or use insight to buy them. I think using the Threaded Cane for my first playthrough added to the variety of combat. I imagine it wouldn't have been the same experience with eg. the axe's spin-to-win move.

You can find
Yahar'Gul Set, Tiny Tonitrus, Heir Rune 2, Bloodstone Chunk, and Upper Cathedral Key
in Yahar'Gul. The last one is easy to miss, but is crucial to the game and its lore.

Personally, I found BB's approach with loot better, than DS3 showering the player with the same kind of weapons and armor over and over again. Perhaps it's partly because BB was my first, and DS3 coming in its footsteps could never measure up to that experience.

I dunno if I have souls fatigue but I've just tried to play dark souls 3 and not sure how I feel about it. Because I'm used to bloodborne which was way more difficult at the start,playing dark souls 3 just seemed easy. Combat isn't as good, flask system is annoying, world looks ugly and the lore so far is meh. I feel no sense of danger or take anything cautiously.

The scope of the game seems massive and i have no clue where to go in that first castle too.

CassSept

Oh my goodness. Kill me.

So I'm playing through the game and I'm quite near the end, at Martyr Logarius, only Upper Cathedral, DLC and end-bosses left. Martyr Logarius has a ton of hp. Incomparably. I'm doing terrible damage and I've been somewhat stuck on him. Learning the fight, slowly progressing, but still my confidence and enjoyment dwindling.

I played the entire game with Saw Cleaver so today I got broken and I decided to check out the famed Ludwig's Holy Blade. I buy the weapon, gem it up, skill it up, go at Logarius. And it's doing shit damage. Just totally shit damage. To at least try training I change to Saw Cleaver, this time without gems and wow it's doing a ton of damage. An absolute ton. Without gems.

And it hit me. That third slot gem with Bolt Atk up? I thought it adds the magical effect to the weapon, not replaces it. And it now scales with Arcane, which I didn't level a single time throughout the game.

I played through majority of Bloodborne with a huge completely self-imposed handica[.

I've been stuck on him due to a number of reasons, Zero Time Dilemma release, vacation, lot of real-life and some work stuff, for nearly month and a half due to completely arbitrary reasons. And now I tore through him on my first attempt like it was nothing, totally trashed him. To add to that, the game isn't too hard any more, because I'm actually totally overpowered.

Cool game tho.

Oh my goodness. Kill me.

So I'm playing through the game and I'm quite near the end, at Martyr Logarius, only Upper Cathedral, DLC and end-bosses left. Martyr Logarius has a ton of hp. Incomparably. I'm doing terrible damage and I've been somewhat stuck on him. Learning the fight, slowly progressing, but still my confidence and enjoyment dwindling.

I played the entire game with Saw Cleaver so today I got broken and I decided to check out the famed Ludwig's Holy Blade. I buy the weapon, gem it up, skill it up, go at Logarius. And it's doing shit damage. Just totally shit damage. To at least try training I change to Saw Cleaver, this time without gems and wow it's doing a ton of damage. An absolute ton. Without gems.

And it hit me. That third slot gem with Bolt Atk up? I thought it adds the magical effect to the weapon, not replaces it. And it now scales with Arcane, which I didn't level a single time throughout the game.

I played through majority of Bloodborne with a huge completely self-imposed handica[.

I've been stuck on him due to a number of reasons, Zero Time Dilemma release, vacation, lot of real-life and some work stuff, for nearly month and a half due to completely arbitrary reasons. And now I tore through him on my first attempt like it was nothing, totally trashed him. To add to that, the game isn't too hard any more, because I'm actually totally overpowered.

Cool game tho.

I found ludwig to suck until I levelled it up to lvl 9-10 and had good str and skill then it became a beast, easily one of the best weapons. hits hard and fast.

gwailo

Banned
Ugggh... finally figured out a good strategy for Amyglada, took my time and got her down to a sliver of health and then she did some bullshit super stomp move that killed me in one hit.

*cries*

How is pvp in this game now, is it dead? What level should I stop levelling to participate I think I'm 114 currently.

I'm coop guy but love the occassional pvp. I like invading unsuspecting people, so I make sure to put on the corruption rune for the vileblood covenant and start looking for coop in the chalice dungeons. 3/10 games I get summoned as an invader in a chalice that's otherwise not supposed to have invaders.

FUCK Defiled Amygdala.

I've only died to the jump which is infuriating because once I learned to stand still it made Nightmare Frontier Amy so much easier. I guess Defiled Amy doesn't give a shit about that.

Ugggh... finally figured out a good strategy for Amyglada, took my time and got her down to a sliver of health and then she did some bullshit super stomp move that killed me in one hit.

*cries*

Foolproof strategy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rDW0hf3xXY (third phase starts at 4:03)

another one using the same strategy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1TMGw6U5U0

basically reach the third phase when it extends its arms, stay at the crotch then run TOWARDS it when it jumps. Never fails.

myco666

I love the boss, but man I wish we could invade as him like Old Monk from Demon Souls.

trolling the host would have been amazing there lol.

Man that would have been so good.

Ugh really? I hate that boss precisely because his rantings are annoying to hear (I mash X to skip everything) and it's just flat-out boring to always run after him.

Then again I hate runners in PvP too, I'd rather just fight :p

Morrigan confirming to have bad taste in bosses and PVP tactics.

yahar'gul

Ehh most weapons/armor you find in Dark Souls goes to garbage immediately. I get that some people like the loot aspect and finding new weapons/armor but most likely you won't use most of what you find. I much more prefer BB way.

Melchiah

Ehh most weapons/armor you find in Dark Souls goes to garbage immediately. I get that some people like the loot aspect and finding new weapons/armor but most likely you won't use most of what you find. I much more prefer BB way.

Exactly. It feels like it's just loot for the sake of it.

gwailo

Banned
I'm now at the point of trying to take down the two Shark Giants in the Fishing Hamlet, and God damn these are tough. I've been summoning for aid but no one ever comes. Is the DLC deserted now? :-(

NIN90

Hey I just bought The Old Hunters and I have a couple questions

1- I bought it off PSN and didn't get a download or something. My BB install was already up to date so I guess I'm in the clear?

2- Anyone have a spoiler-free (already played through the base game so spoilers for that are fine) guide on how to experience the DLC content? How to access it and a recommended point when to do it?

Tarkus

Wat??? Have you not played Dark Souls II? Almost every weapon in viable in PvE and PvP. There are some stinkers in DS3 and DS1 though, but not that many.

myco666

Wat??? Have you not played Dark Souls II? Almost every weapon in viable in PvE and PvP. There are some stinkers in DS3 and DS1 though, but not that many.

I have. Something being viable doesn't mean that it doesn't immediately go to storage to be forgotten forever. I might dislike the moveset or the overall design of the weapon and most impotantly I might have very similiar weapon already upgraded so why would I spend more materials to upgrade something I already have. I just don't see any reason to have multiple longswords, greatswords etc when they behave mostly the same.

Deku Tree

Hey I just bought The Old Hunters and I have a couple questions

1- I bought it off PSN and didn't get a download or something. My BB install was already up to date so I guess I'm in the clear?

2- Anyone have a spoiler-free (already played through the base game so spoilers for that are fine) guide on how to experience the DLC content? How to access it and a recommended point when to do it?

1) yeah everyone had to download it. Buying unlocks it.
2) be lvl 60-80 to do the DLC on NG. The DLC is linear, so No guide needed unless you want spoilers. Don't beat the final game boss before doing the DLC because it sends you right into NG+.

NIN90

1) yeah everyone had to download it. Buying unlocks it.
2) be lvl 60-80 to do the DLC on NG. The DLC is linear, so No guide needed unless you want spoilers. Don't beat the final game boss before doing the DLC because it sends you right into NG+.

Thanks. Is the way to access the DLC hella cryptic like in Dark Souls 1 or more obvious?

Deku Tree

Thanks. Is the way to access the DLC hella cryptic like in Dark Souls 1 or more obvious?

If you return to the hunters dream frequently and read item descriptions and pay attention then the game tells you exactly how to unlock the DLC. You can unlock it as soon as you beat
Vicar Amelia.

Toxi

Banned
I'm now at the point of trying to take down the two Shark Giants in the Fishing Hamlet, and God damn these are tough. I've been summoning for aid but no one ever comes. Is the DLC deserted now? :-(
Get the first one to half health with parries and use a Shaman Bone Blade on it (be aware you have to be up close to use the bone blade). The two will fight, giving you some space and weakening them.

Veelk

Banned
Get the first one to half health with parries and use a Shaman Bone Blade on it (be aware you have to be up close to use the bone blade). The two will fight, giving you some space and weakening them.

It was ridiculous how easy they were when I realized how parrying wrecks their shit. I spent like an hour trying to take them out, even using the Shaman Bones, without avail. Then someone told me to just parry them, and I wrecked their shit on the first try after that.

Toxi

Banned
It was ridiculous how easy they were when I realized how parrying wrecks their shit. I spent like an hour trying to take them out, even using the Shaman Bones, without avail. Then someone told me to just parry them, and I wrecked their shit on the first try after that.
I find parrying unreliable once you have to fight two at once and they're both throwing out attacks.

Had an amazingly productive evening with those yesterday - Rakuyo in hand, Orphan of Kos slain and Laurence slain, all with thanks to co-op. I'm not hardcore enough to solo them, and co-op is such a buzz :)

I now only have to get some straggling weapons from the DLC, then it's time for the endgame and onwards to NG+.

Not finished with the Chalice Dungeons yet, just need more materials. I guess chasing after those during NG+ won't matter too much..

Tarkus

Had an amazingly productive evening with those yesterday - Rakuyo in hand, Orphan of Kos slain and Laurence slain, all with thanks to co-op. I'm not hardcore enough to solo them, and co-op is such a buzz :)

I now only have to get some straggling weapons from the DLC, then it's time for the endgame and onwards to NG+.

Not finished with the Chalice Dungeons yet, just need more materials. I guess chasing after those during NG+ won't matter too much..
Yeah, they don't scale with new games.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Yeah, they don't scale with new games.

Actually, one of the nice things about the chalice dungeons(And blood gems as a side note) is that they are prefect for trying new lower tier weapons out. Upgrade three or four to like +3/4, slap on your best physical gems, and go wild. That's where I tried out a lot of DLC weapons and just weird crap I wasn't sure about. The weird thing about the bloodgem system is that once you get a couple of the strong ones form the main game, they actually give enough of a damage bump that +3 to +6 weapons are viable enough in general game content.

Top Bottom