• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

void666

Banned
Decided to play some bloodborne today while waiting for my destiny team to get their shit together.
Was doing fine. Then, after i helped crow lady, while talking to her i rest my ds4 on my bed. Somehow pressed left trigger and shot her twice. Now she's agroed and after a few tries i'm out of bullets and vials.
Oh well, farewell again BB.

Decided to play some bloodborne today while waiting for my destiny team to get their shit together.
Was doing fine. Then, after i helped crow lady, while talking to her i rest my ds4 on my bed. Somehow pressed left trigger and shot her twice. Now she's agroed and after a few tries i'm out of bullets and vials.
Oh well, farewell again BB.

I really hate how sensitive those triggers are.

BTW, I have this game. Of course, I am stuck on Father G, lol.

J2d

I was trying out different clothes and while toggling the stats I noticed that the physical stats don't change at all though the others poison, frenzy etc do. All clothes show different stats for physical but do they matter in the end?

Edit: I guess they add an additional value that doesn't show on one of the stat screens.

Tarkus

I was trying out different clothes and while toggling the stats I noticed that the physical stats don't change at all though the others poison, frenzy etc do. All clothes show different stats for physical but do they matter in the end?

Edit: I guess they add an additional value that doesn't show on one of the stat screens.
One of the authors of the official strategy guide who did extensive testing on the clothing sets said there wasn't much of a difference in damage reduction between the items, despite what the numbers say. Mix and match and not worry about it.

J2d

One of the authors of the official strategy guide who did extensive testing on the clothing sets said there wasn't much of a difference in damage reduction between the items, despite what the numbers say. Mix and match and not worry about it.
Yea I guess, at the higher levels the enemy damage output gets more and more ludicrous but I still, somewhere deep inside I want the best character I can build :/

Is there anyway to check which ng you're on btw?

SDR-UK

Yea I guess, at the higher levels the enemy damage output gets more and more ludicrous but I still, somewhere deep inside I want the best character I can build :/

Is there anyway to check which ng you're on btw?

How many Mensis Cages do you have?

J2d

Oh right, I guess that's one way to count, still would have been nice if the save file indicated it or like Ds3, the game told you which "journey" you were about to start.

Tarkus

How much damage are you Skill people getting out of your Threaded Cane?

And the hunter in the first area of the DLC with the gatlin gun is a major cunt.

Melchiah

How much damage are you Skill people getting out of your Threaded Cane?

And the hunter in the first area of the DLC with the gatlin gun is a major cunt.

I'm at level 230, with skill at 55.

Without gems:
d32g2kP.jpg
e2Vv93e.jpg

With gems:

The second left hand weapon is the Moonglight Sword, and right weapons are Blunderbuss & Evelyn.

I just purchased the GOTY edition and getting it delivered tomorrow. I know I am in for a world of hurt, but I am actually looking forward to it! Any tips and tricks?

I just purchased the GOTY edition and getting it delivered tomorrow. I know I am in for a world of hurt, but I am actually looking forward to it! Any tips and tricks?

have you played Dark Souls? i think Bloodborne is much easier than them. anyway this is my first playthrough so i'm still learning.

don't let dying frustrate you. you will die a lot but the sooner you start thinking of it as a positive thing then the sooner you'll settle in. my first time i got super pissed off because i kept dying and stopped playing. you might need to change how you approach the game. don't go running around corners cause you will be ambushed. enemies also blend into the enviroment (unless it's just my tv settings) so what i do now is just press the lock on button when in a new area to see if there are any near me. usually you can get a lock on before they attack.

go slowly and use your camera to your advantage. so if you are about to walk through a door see if you can peek inside to see if there are enemies waiting. also they love to drop attack you from above. so always check above you. just be constantly aware of your surroundings. listen out for footsteps. just yesterday i thought i killed all the enemies so let my guard down and turned my back to pick an item up when i heard footsteps approaching so i rolled away and just managed to dodge the attack.

don't be afraid to run past or away from enemies. it might be best just to ignore them sometimes. you don't have to kill everyone you see. the beginning few hours has some enemies like this who will kill you quickly unless you are experienced. come back once you level up a bit.

use pebbles to attract a single enemy from a mob. you don't want to be taking on multiple enemies at once straight away. thin them out. this is very important early in the game.

your gun is use to parry. i'm not sure if you could go through the game with it as your main weapon. once you successfully parry an enemy hit R1 to do a visceral attack with lots of damage. i find them so satisfying and love doing it. oh and your main weapon has two modes. press L1 to switch between them. i have the hunters axe (right hand) and the hunters pistol (left) which is default so lets me parry with my gun and hit with axe. pressing L1 two hands the axe and extends its length. pressing and holding R2 uses it's trick attack (spin attack). learn exactly how your weapons work.

personally i found the first couple hours of the game difficult. probably because i was completely new when i first tried and because i was used to how dark souls played when i went back to it. after that then it becomes easier. i've found that it's true for all souls games.

have you played Dark Souls? i think Bloodborne is much easier than them. anyway this is my first playthrough so i'm still learning.

don't let dying frustrate you. you will die a lot but the sooner you start thinking of it as a positive thing then the sooner you'll settle in. my first time i got super pissed off because i kept dying and stopped playing. you might need to change how you approach the game. don't go running around corners cause you will be ambushed. enemies also blend into the enviroment (unless it's just my tv settings) so what i do now is just press the lock on button when in a new area to see if there are any near me. usually you can get a lock on before they attack.

go slowly and use your camera to your advantage. so if you are about to walk through a door see if you can peek inside to see if there are enemies waiting. also they love to drop attack you from above. so always check above you. just be constantly aware of your surroundings. listen out for footsteps. just yesterday i thought i killed all the enemies so let my guard down and turned my back to pick an item up when i heard footsteps approaching so i rolled away and just managed to dodge the attack.

don't be afraid to run past or away from enemies. it might be best just to ignore them sometimes. you don't have to kill everyone you see. the beginning few hours has some enemies like this who will kill you quickly unless you are experienced. come back once you level up a bit.

use pebbles to attract a single enemy from a mob. you don't want to be taking on multiple enemies at once straight away. thin them out. this is very important early in the game.

your gun is use to parry. i'm not sure if you could go through the game with it as your main weapon. once you successfully parry an enemy hit R1 to do a visceral attack with lots of damage. i find them so satisfying and love doing it. oh and your main weapon has two modes. press L1 to switch between them. i have the hunters axe (right hand) and the hunters pistol (left) which is default so lets me parry with my gun and hit with axe. pressing L1 two hands the axe and extends its length. pressing and holding R2 uses it's trick attack (spin attack). learn exactly how your weapons work.

personally i found the first couple hours of the game difficult. probably because i was completely new when i first tried and because i was used to how dark souls played when i went back to it. after that then it becomes easier. i've found that it's true for all souls games.

I purchased this game because a bunch of my friends have said that Bloodborne is the more fun and somewhat easier game to get into the Souls franchise. I did play Demon Souls on the PS3, loved it but didn't have the patience to keep playing because I kept getting killed.

I am now sitting in a period where I feel that I have the patience to live, die and repeat the process and get better. I will probably die a lot and get frustrated, but I also realize that dying is part of the process in order to get good.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
You'll only die if you're careless or if you see a new enemy whose movesets youre not familiar with.

Even though there's similarities, Bloodborne is still it's own beast. I didn't get into De Demon's/Dark Souls but I loved Bloodborne enough to beat it 4 times.

Oh defiled amygdala, why do you have to be so tedious? I know I can do this but it ain't a fun battle to keep repeating by any stretch.
Is the worst of the chalice dungeons over once I escape this festering pit of halved health?

Trakan

Oh defiled amygdala, why do you have to be so tedious? I know I can do this but it ain't a fun battle to keep repeating by any stretch.
Is the worst of the chalice dungeons over once I escape this festering pit of halved health?

Yep, nothing else is that hard and the last dungeon has one of the best boss fights in the game. Keep going.

SRTtoZ

This is the one and only boss I summoned for because I just wanted to be done with the defiled so I could get the Platinum.

If you're doing a lvl4 run I understand the frustration because of the damage output. The strategy is very simple, just go behind her and constantly attack the tail (the damage you deal gets bigger the more hurt she is, until she regenerates her tail). Attack the tail from a safe position so she can't step on you, and when she jumps, stand still and charge R2 because her head will land right next to you, letting you deal really high damage.

A big weapon works really well in this boss fight (Ludwig sword, Hunter's axe, etc).

Could someone tell me how to not get destroyed by Father G's third form, please?

Parry is definitely the easiest way.

In the beginning of the game, put all of your blood echoes in the vitality stat and get the hunter's attire in the sewers. This will make the game considerably easier.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Could someone tell me how to not get destroyed by Father G's third form, please?

Don't dodge backwards, dodge sideways or towards him when he goes beast mode.

My instinct when getting hit is to always dodge back. Gascoigne does this leap attack which will hit you every time if you dodge backwards so keep that in mind.

If you spoke to the little girl play the music box and it stuns Gascoigne briefly.

Kieli

Don't dodge backwards, dodge sideways or towards him when he goes beast mode.

My instinct when getting hit is to always dodge back. Gascoigne does this leap attack which will hit you every time if you dodge backwards so keep that in mind.

If you spoke to the little girl play the music box and it stuns Gascoigne briefly.

Dodge sideways in general. Dodging backwards almost always gets you hit in any situation.

Defiled chalice down, thanks for the pointers, just one more dungeon left.
Alas I got reckless against captain hooks on floor 1 of this final set, the usual need for just one more hit to win and then getting caught in his super combo because I was too busy trying to mash out a single swing so that's enough for tonight.

Raptor

You will feel awesome when you kill that bitch no hurt because of all the training you do fighting her over and over.

I had more trouble with the Descendant, now that was hard as fuck for me.

Why have I waited so long to pick up this game? Granted. I got the GOTY edition for 25,- but somewhere I wish I was part of the community when it thrived.

I loathed Dark Souls. I do not know why. There was something about its approach and style of gameplay which immediately put me off the game. Bloodborne is another beast.

The victorian style sure helps, but the faster style of combat is something that I truly like in comparison. It is tough but so far manageable. I just need to remove the overall pace I have with other games where I can just run up and mash a few buttons. It takes planning.

Dying doesn't feel all that punishing. It is part of the process I am in where I get better each and every single time. It also doesn't feel frustrating, but perhaps that will change when I die countless of times on the same boss.

I don't care, though. The atmosphere and gameplay got me hooked. Damn.

Kuraudo

Banned
Picked this up back when it came out and I really sucked at it. Had to summon to beat Gascoigne and then I just got brickwalled when I reached Amelia. I ended up trading the game in.

Always regretted not giving it more of a chance and picked it up again two weeks ago. It's possible my character build is just much better than last time because I've been having a much better time with it. It took me forever to beat Gascoigne, but finally taking him down seemed to teach me how to play much better and I've been breezing through most of the bosses on my first to third attempt.

Anyway, I just killed
Micolash
. I'm going to clear up the Upper Cathedral Ward because it's the last optional area I haven't done. After that I guess it's the end of the game.

My question is - if I copy my save to USB be able to play from before the ending again if I restore it? I really want to finish the base game but also plan on picking up the DLC sometime (hopefully it'll go on sale soon), and I don't really fancy doing that on NG+.

Just started The Old Hunters DLC after a year.. hadn't played for long and beat Ludwig the Holy Blade on my first try., oops. I think I'm a little too overpowered, lol. Still in NG, level 130..

Platinum achieved!
CXkTV7p.gif

Marking my first one of this generation, I don't go for them often so it's genuinely a sign I enjoyed the heck out of the game to consider it even if the chalice stuff feels like more of a blight on it than a bonus for me.

My last trophy was one of the endings,
the one where you submit your life, I swear that getting your head nixed by the burial blade and the ensuing scenes with the sunrise and the doll make this the most enjoyable ending funnily enough, some great visuals in there.

So I finally got to the first boss, the cleric beast. I was able to drain about half his health. Mostly by unloading all my Molotov cocktails. I only got a few hits in. I can't get close with out getting hit.

On my attempt following my first defeat from the cleric beast I came across a thing in the ground asking if I want to summon some father. What is that about?

Platinum achieved!
CXkTV7p.gif

Marking my first one of this generation, I don't go for them often so it's genuinely a sign I enjoyed the heck out of the game to consider it even if the chalice stuff feels like more of a blight on it than a bonus for me.

My last trophy was one of the endings,
the one where you submit your life, I swear that getting your head nixed by the burial blade and the ensuing scenes with the sunrise and the doll make this the most enjoyable ending funnily enough, some great visuals in there.

I recently got the same ending, and thought it seemed like the most fitting!

Doll-talk-NG+-spoilers
What was then interesting was a scene early on in NG+ where the doll stands by a grave near the Yharnam level-warp thing and talks about it being the grave of another hunter, and used the 'find their worth in the waking world' line.

I don't remember seeing that scene during NG, wondered if it was like a purposeful nod to completing the first playthrough?

Nev

Banned
On my attempt following my first defeat from the cleric beast I came across a thing in the ground asking if I want to summon some father. What is that about?

It's a way to summon help from a NPC. There are many throughout the game and they're located before a boss, so if you see one be prepared for a boss fight.

It's co-op for people who are playing offline, basically. I wouldn't recommend it anyways since the NPCs aren't particularly strong or very intelligent and the boss will have a larger health pool when one or more players (or NPC in this case) join the fight. It will also stop you from gitting gud.

So I finally got to the first boss, the cleric beast. I was able to drain about half his health. Mostly by unloading all my Molotov cocktails. I only got a few hits in. I can't get close with out getting hit.

It's a werid boss. Because of its size it's hard to dodge if you go in close, like really hard. There's a dlc boss with similar move set who happens to be the hardest boss in the game due to the same issues.

NIN90

Wait until the DLC section! Bwahahaha

Hunters are the hands-down worst part of the game. Huge health pool and they can take you down in 2-3 attacks.

Hey, now fight three of them at the same time in a room that somehow makes the game run at sub 20 FPS for no reason. GG FROM A++ level design.

The fucking hunter trio can suck a dick. Fuck, I hate fighting hunters in this game.

Then don't? You don't really need to fight every single enemy in the game.

Besides, they don't respawn, so you can take them out one at the time even if you die.

But if you want to fight them at the same time, I would definitely recommend a fast weapon (saw spear being my favorite because of the range of the L1 attack and the speed of dash+R1), and make sure they don't get too close to you all at once.

NIN90

And you can lure them out one by one. It's really not a big deal.

How do you do it? I already got the guy in the middle. When I go the guy walking up the stairs then the guy across the room get aggro'd and vice versa.

Maybe I'm just too underlevelled in general. I'm like sub 50 I think.

grmlin

Run all the way back to the bonfire, they will follow you but not all of them will pass the entrance. I fight them there most of the time.

But the worst hunter
is the one that kills Eileen at Amelia's cathedral. Fuck that guy.

NIN90

Run all the way back to the bonfire, they will follow you but not all of them will pass the entrance. I fight them there most of the time.

But the worst hunter
is the one that kills Eileen at Amelia's cathedral. Fuck that guy.

Yeah fuck that guy. Not even gonna go for that in this playthrough.

Nev

Banned
Yeah fuck that guy. Not even gonna go for that in this playthrough.

That's one of the hardest fights in the game tbh, even harder than some bosses. Second hardest hunter is the guy outside Valtr's windmill imo.

The trio of hunters you're talking about is the one in Yahargul I assume? They're not that hard, level up and gg.

I guess you haven't played DS2 dlc if you think the BB trio is bullshit.

Tarkus

Going to jump in today and try to make progress in the old hunters section. Anybody have some tips for the machine gun-carrying hunter who never runs out of bullets that's in the cavern after the blood river? I'm a level 70 skill build and don't want to upgrade anymore.

Edit: Stumbled into Ludwig's room with 15 vials. Beat him on the first try without ever seeing him before! Maybe instead of naming my character Sucks@BB, it should have been Decent@BB! Where is that moonlight blade?

Nev

Banned
Going to jump in today and try to make progress in the old hunters section. Anybody have some tips for the machine gun-carrying hunter who never runs out of bullets that's in the cavern after the blood river? I'm a level 70 skill build and don't want to upgrade anymore.

Kite him around the rock until your stamina is full again so you can stunlock him again. With a skill build you should be using weapons that can stunlock enemies easily anyways.

Kite him around the rock until your stamina is full again so you can stunlock him again. With a skill build you should be using weapons that can stunlock enemies easily anyways.

This is what I did after unsuccessfully trying to fight him head first.

Also ... don't ugggh ... be careless in your wanderings around that cave ... LOL

Well, I've beaten all of the bosses in the game. I remember posting before that I got stuck on
Rom
and was nearly ready to give up on the game. I died on that fucker more than ANY other boss. It took me days because I refused to grind.. I was finding everything tedious at that point and I was getting really bored of my build. I kept dying, none of the armor or items was very interesting to me. Ludwig's Holy Blade got dull at that point. Two things I wish I knew though: the saw cleaver is a bag of dick at the beginning compared to threaded cane and the hunter's axe and strength or dexterity builds get more fun options with DLC weapons than a quality build (which is stuck with Ludwig's until eternity).

After beating
Rom
and
Micolash
, the game finally started to unlock for me. Getting the
cainhurst armor
and getting to max out my build really helped make the game fun again. Everything following the
nightmare of mensis
was really cool.
Cainhurst castle
was effing sick and I LOVED the DLC bosses.
Lady Maria of the Astral Clock Tower
was so fucking cool. I feel like I'd finally gotten used to the dodge mechanic versus Dark Souls mix of dodging and shields.

Now I have to start digging into the lore, which is one of my favourite parts of these games. Reading wiki's to figure out what the hell was going on. I am also convinced of the argument that people's favourite SoulsBorne game is their first. Mine is Dark Souls 3 after having beaten everything except Demon's Soul. I'm not going to dig into NG+ with this yet, but after getting to the end I can see why people have a huge love for this game. Have to say it was worth my PS4 purchase for this.

Yawnny

I'm a bit late on the bandwagon here but I've recently picked up Blodborne again.

I'm going for mainly a Strength build (want to be OP with Ludwigs sword). I'm lvl 71 right now and have dumped mainly into strength, a little bit in to vitality, and about 4-5 points in to Skill as it seemed to increase my damage more leveling it up during a couple levels.

My question:
Is there a point where dumping everything in to Strength produces diminishing returns? Should I start loading up Skill? would loading up Endurance so that I have stamina to swing one more time, be more efficient?

I keep leveling up my Ludwig's blade, with the level currently at +6.. should I keep leveling this blade up (note: I don't have the DLC so unable to get that big wheel thing that's supposed to be strong as faark).

Side note:
I'm holding off on asking how to defeat the damn 3 Hunter of Hunters.. because spoilers.. but hot DAMN what the hell..

Thanks everyone,

EDIT: I believe I answered my own question when I was doing some more research re: weapon scaling.
ie: if there's a 'B' Attribute Bonus for Strength on Ludwig's Holy Blade then it will get stronger with a higher Strength stat, as opposed to in Skill where the Attribute Bonus is 'C'. Skill would still increase power, but not as much as putting in to Strength would.

Some weapons scale better with Skill. Skill is basically dexterity, so more 'finesse' type weapons (which you can tell by looking at them, really) such as Threaded Cane and Mercy Blade will benefit with more Skill points because the Attribute Bonus is A or B..
--

Let me know if I missed anything here!

Thanks,

grmlin

1. get the DLC for later 😬
2. use the weapon you like, everything is more or less a viable option. Personally, I didn't like Ludwig's that much but friggin loved the Reiterpallasch. Never went full strength though.

Top Bottom