• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

I don't know if this has happened with anyone else, but I picked up on Bloodborne after so long and I'm randomly getting this slow down/lag as I'm playing the game. It'll randomly kick me off the game as well...

It eventually got to the point where I lost my lvl 78 character. :T

Is it the game or my PS4?

Hikami

Started playing this again since I totally forgot that I never finished the DLC.

Did they make the
Ludwig
fight easier in a patch or something? I remember a lot of people saying they were having trouble with him when the DLC had released. Just beat him on my second try, pretty happy.

I'd like to think I've just gotten really good.
Side dodging those diagonal moonlight greatsword slashes and then un-locking the camera to roll under the horizontal one all on instinct made me feel like such a boss.
(said moment)
Then there was the stabbing the sword in the ground AoE thing, I've seen so many bosses in the series do it that I just automatically knew to get away. Pretty fun fight.

hollerphonix

Neo Member
Anyone on gaf still playing this?
As it stands I finally forced myself to get past my initial frustration and broke through. Currently in old yarnham past cathedral ward on Ng. I realize it's likely most of you are we past this point but if anyone would be down to co-open maybe show me a few of the tougher to find things I'd appreciate it. Just msg me on here I'll look to throwing my psn on the spreadsheet and put the password in but just let me know.thanks

Ferr986

Started playing this again since I totally forgot that I never finished the DLC.

Did they make the
Ludwig
fight easier in a patch or something? I remember a lot of people saying they were having trouble with him when the DLC had released. Just beat him on my second try, pretty happy.

I'd like to think I've just gotten really good.
Side dodging those diagonal moonlight greatsword slashes and then un-locking the camera to roll under the horizontal one all on instinct made me feel like such a boss.
(said moment)
Then there was the stabbing the sword in the ground AoE thing, I've seen so many bosses in the series do it that I just automatically knew to get away. Pretty fun fight.

It hasn't been nerfed. Maybe a lot of people complaining was at NG+. The DLC has a big bump of difficulty from NG to NG+ compared to base game.

Or maybe you just got too gud :p

Alastor3

I have a question, me and my friend have share accounts via primary setting and stuff, normally, i can download his games and play it. He bought Bloodborne a while ago but with physical edition and already beat the game with the dlc. I just bought the game too (physical) but I can't seems to be able to download the dlc he bought on his account. Since we are linked with primary, will I be able to access it in game? I think it's a late game dlc right? Is there a way for me to see at the beginning if I have the dlc installed on my hardware before I begin playing?

Qurupeke

I came back to the game after giving up in Central Yharnam the first time, having barely explored the area after the mob and the huge fire, and I actually had some progress this time. I started to use pebbles and molotov cocktails more and I did manage to beat some of the huge brute-like foes that were giving me a hard time. I managed to play for like 1-2 hours without dying, but I was lost and I couldn't find the next lantern. And then I run into a huge boss and I died, starting from the first lantern, again...

I certainly can see the charm in such a game, but oh my god, it's frustrating. I think I need to play more patiently, but unless I'm missing something, some of the foes have quite a lot HP...

Picked this game up again after a tragically bare bones first playthrough (did very few optional bosses and never touched chalice dungeons). This time I want to make sure I see/do everything this game has to offer and stupidly have decided to go for the plat. I bought the DLC also but decided to wait until I'm closer to finishing everything in the main game before I get deep into it.

In my first playthrough I never even reached
Cainhurst
but this time (on NG+) I beat
Martyr Logarius
on my first try. Very intense fight. Not looking forward to having to fight
Gehrman
again though.

Surprisingly I also beat
Shadow of Yharnam
on my first try in NG+ after struggling when I first played the game. Probably didn't hurt that Bloodborne was my first souls game and I've since played though Dark Souls III so I'm much for familiar with theses games now.

Greddleok

You didn't like the Abhorrent Beast, Bloodletting Beast, and the defiled Watch Dog? o_O The final boss (Queen) isn't that great, but still kinda neat.

I should have specified the final boss. There were a lot of good bosses in there, but it wasn't worth going all the way to the end. The Queen was a little lame.

gwailo

Banned
I came back to the game after giving up in Central Yharnam the first time, having barely explored the area after the mob and the huge fire, and I actually had some progress this time. I started to use pebbles and molotov cocktails more and I did manage to beat some of the huge brute-like foes that were giving me a hard time. I managed to play for like 1-2 hours without dying, but I was lost and I couldn't find the next lantern. And then I run into a huge boss and I died, starting from the first lantern, again...

I certainly can see the charm in such a game, but oh my god, it's frustrating. I think I need to play more patiently, but unless I'm missing something, some of the foes have quite a lot HP...

I would recommend grinding a bit and building up your Vitality. Central Yarnham is a good place to do it early on in the game. Also for the tougher enemies it's important to learn how to parry them.

grmlin

I would recommend grinding a bit and building up your Vitality. Central Yarnham is a good place to do it early on in the game. Also for the tougher enemies it's important to learn how to parry them.

I never did that in my very first playthrough. I died so often and collected so many echoes on my way back to the place I died, I think I was pretty overleveled this way :D

Bloodvials were my only problem.

Qurupeke

I killed the cleric beast! I didn't expect I'd be able to do that and it took me like 15 blood vials to survive, but it fell! I got like 10K souls, I'm so happy.

Defeated Shadow of Yharnam today! Tried a few times solo but just wasn't good enough so ended up summoning another player. I really dont like these kind of boss fights where it's 2 or 3 vs 1. The Hemlock Witches weren't so bad but this was tough.

I don't know what the next area is but I will explore tomorrow!

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Defeated Shadow of Yharnam today! Tried a few times solo but just wasn't good enough so ended up summoning another player. I really dont like these kind of boss fights where it's 2 or 3 vs 1. The Hemlock Witches weren't so bad but this was tough.

The secret to that fight (as with most mobs) is to isolate them and engage one at a time. The bosses themselves aren't hard and can be stunlocked as much as your stamina allows.

With that out of the way, I think you'll really like the next area because shit is about to hit the fan.

Edit: I realize how for a seasoned veteran it's so easy to say oh that boss fight or area is so trivial to first timers. I'm playing Dark Souls for the first time and I'll rage or get stuck at certain areas and people will give advice like it's the most trivial situation, which it is for them as veterans.

I never did that in my very first playthrough. I died so often and collected so many echoes on my way back to the place I died, I think I was pretty overleveled this way :D

Bloodvials were my only problem.

Blood vials were a pain in the ass in my first play through then I realized you can just buy them reltively cheaply. After I level up I go spend whatever echoes are leftover on blood vials and I always have a decent supply in storage.

grmlin

Amazing areas ahead. Good luck !

The shadows can be pretty tough, as the whole level. I always manage to die there fighting
the giant snakes

The trick with Shadows of Yharnam is to completely focus and kill the guy with the katana first. He's an absolute bitch to kill once transformed, the other two aren't so bad really.

Greddleok

I've delved back into the DLC, and holy shit. Laurence the First Vicar is by far the hardest boss in the game.

I just can't seem to dodge anything, and when I do he has an AoE attack as a follow up. Normally it takes me a couple of tries to figure out how to beat a tough boss (although not necessarily execute on it), but I just...don't even know what to do.

I've delved back into the DLC, and holy shit. Laurence the First Vicar is by far the hardest boss in the game.

I just can't seem to dodge anything, and when I do he has an AoE attack as a follow up. Normally it takes me a couple of tries to figure out how to beat a tough boss (although not necessarily execute on it), but I just...don't even know what to do.

Lawerence is really difficult. Don't hesitate to coop that boss

grmlin

I have to play the DLC again some day, because after all the troubles I had with both Ludwig (probably the hardest for me) and Orphan (tough but cool as fuck), I went to Laurence as the last boss remaining in the DLC for me and killed him on my second try, only because I got stuck in the scenery on my first.

I used the Curch Pick and destroyed him like no other DLC boss before. No idea why though, as I read all the horrible things about him before. Thats why I waited to the very end to fight him lol.

Late last night I finally defeated Father Gascoigne after 10+ tries. Much, much tougher than the Cleric Beast.

The first time I encountered him I got his health down to 2% but I got greedy, failed my defense and he combo'd me to death. After that encounter he kept destroying me, either after he turned wolf or before that.

Until there was one match where everything just clicked. I parried every single humanoid attack. Visceral attacked him 3-4 times until he transformed and then just chucked 4-5 molotovs behind some gravestones.

I absolutely love this game. When it clicks, it fucking clicks. It can make you feel like such a goddamn badass if you manage to defeat an incredibly tough enemy without getting hit once.

Qurupeke

Late last night I finally defeated Father Gascoigne after 10+ tries. Much, much tougher than the Cleric Beast.

The first time I encountered him I got his health down to 2% but I got greedy, failed my defense and he combo'd me to death. After that encounter he kept destroying me, either after he turned wolf or before that.

Until there was one match where everything just clicked. I parried every single humanoid attack. Visceral attacked him 3-4 times until he transformed and then just chucked 4-5 molotovs behind some gravestones.

I absolutely love this game. When it clicks, it fucking clicks. It can make you feel like such a goddamn badass if you manage to defeat an incredibly tough enemy without getting hit once.

I beat him earlier today on the first try, I actually thought he was much easier than the Cleric beast. The terrain scared me a bit, as I would get stuck on the tombstones trying to evade, but his pattern seemed pretty predictable and I had a smooth time. Parrying and then landing a combo. Even his beast form didn't really do a lot to me.

And yeah, this game is so satisfying when you start to learn!

instead of going onto the next area after the shadow of yharnam boss i went back and done the Hypogean Gaol area and defeated the darkbeast paarl. also traveled the the lecture building and ended up in the nightmare frontier. i killed the bell maiden, got ambushed by patches, and defeated the 2 hunters. not sure if i'm ready to face the boss yet but will stick with this area for now to at least level up a bit (i'm at lvl 62 right now).

from this area is this route progression correct to finish the game? or should i do some things differently?

UWwatFV.png

Greddleok

That looks like it sucks all the fun out of the game. Just play it and progress to what naturally feels like it should be next.

There aren't any areas that you can get to so early you'll be struggling so much.

That looks like it sucks all the fun out of the game. Just play it and progress to what naturally feels like it should be next.

There aren't any areas that you can get to so early you'll be struggling so much.

maybe but not for me. i don't think i could manage to play it any other way. i have no idea how i'd figure anything out if i just played through it blind. also i really don't want to miss any areas or bosses. so this works perfectly for me.

Beat Amygdala and Ebrietas last night and have now beaten every boss in the main game over 2 playthroughs. Really wish I had done more on my first play through but oh well. I don't think I ever would have made it to
Cainhurst
without looking it up.

Cleared Nightmare Frontier so just got Amygdala to beat. Not having any luck with it so far. Can hardly get any hits in and when I do it does little damage.

Edit: beat it! damn that was an intense fight!! instead of running at it i just backed off, hit it with molotovs, and dodged its attacks then when it was recovering i went in and hit its head and arms. Once it ripped its arms off i stayed on the left side hitting the legs and tail. When it jumped i would power up my r2 attack and hit it in the legs then run out and hit its legs/tail again. Eventually its armour broke and i think it took more damage. I had run out of items and bloodvials and had maybe 1/4 health left. This is probably most enjoyable boss fight I've had.

After that i went to forsaken castle but i'm doing very little damage and keep dying so will come back later. Went to byrgenwerth (?) And just need to beat Rom now.

I've heard people say that levelling up scales the enemy difficulty in addition to NG increases, for example if you're level 160 in NG+ the enemies will be more difficult than if you're level 125 in NG+. Can anyone confirm this?

If this claim is true than it would be wise to stop levelling up at a certain point as the returns from levelling would be less than the increase in difficulty.

beat Rom + got all of cainhurst castle! just need to take on the boss of that area now.

finally got chunks for my axe! feels like it's been a good while since i upgraded my weapons. also my health, stamina, strength and skill are all now at 25. i'm going to focus on points in health/stamina now until i get to 30/40 then i'll start doing strength/skill again until i get them to 50 or as close as possible.

rom was harder than i expected. my first try i got a decent bit of health off him but when i went back i think after the 3rd time he reappears that's when i kept dying. took me about 10 tries. i've lost so many blood vials and insight due to this boss :(

the enemies in the grounds of the castle were ridiculously difficult. i ended up just running around for all the items then going inside the castle and luring them to the door and dealing with them 1 by 1. the rest of the enemies in this area were really easy to deal with. the ghosts were super easy. i will try the boss again tomorrow.

LordOfChaos

That makes me reeeeally want an official Bloodborne novel/graphic novel/comic series.

I'd read the shit out of a graphic novel of Bloodborne with anything approaching that art quality.

Reading it again, I like how just above "When Daddy forgets us", the blood drops also look like they're the hunters tears. What did our hunter feel at the moment, one wonders.

Just wrapped up the platinum. Got over levelled doing the chalice dungeons and beat
Gehrman
on my first try.

Playing the DLC now. Fuck
Ludwig

If I want to try the DLC on my first playthrough, is there a "point of no return" in the main game I should know about? I can handle being spoiled if necessary.

ChrisD

If I want to try the DLC on my first playthrough, is there a "point of no return" in the main game I should know about? I can handle being spoiled if necessary.

I'd make sure someone else confirms/says otherwise before taking my word (as I don't actually know 100%) but I believe avoiding the point of no return is as simple as not beating the final boss. So there is one, but it's very easy to work around. It should be pretty obvious who the final boss is, you'll know when (not really direct spoilers, but just in case) the
Workshop is set ablaze.

There maaaaay be one beforehand, or you may need to not initiate the battle, but I think you're pretty much safe whenever so long as you don't finish the game.

I'd make sure someone else confirms/says otherwise before taking my word (as I don't actually know 100%) but I believe avoiding the point of no return is as simple as not beating the final boss. So there is one, but it's very easy to work around. It should be pretty obvious who the final boss is, you'll know when (not really direct spoilers, but just in case) the
Workshop is set ablaze.

There maaaaay be one beforehand, or you may need to not initiate the battle, but I think you're pretty much safe whenever so long as you don't finish the game.

After defeating
Mergo's Wet Nurse
the
Hunter's Dream is on fire
and you can fight the final boss there but doing so ends the game. So I believe it's safe to play up to and including
Mergo's Wet Nurse

Citadel

So I bought the CE of Bloodborne when it first came out, and struggled with the prospect of opening it. I decided against that, and finally bought a new standard copy of the game. Can't believe I waited this long to play the game, but damn, it's really something. I totally see the similarity between DSIII, but I'm finding this game to be a lot harder. Went through dozens of Blood Vials before I got the hang of the starting area/map, and I finally just found out about that hidden path on the bridge near the boss - managed to find the Hunter equipment in the sewers, too. The atmosphere is fantastic, too. Can't wait to explore more of Yharnam.

Any tips for a Bloodborne noob, or does my experience with the Dark Souls series give me enough of what I need? Gonna take a look at the beginners guide in the OP, for sure.

Top Bottom