• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

So I bought the CE of Bloodborne when it first came out, and struggled with the prospect of opening it. I decided against that, and finally bought a new standard copy of the game. Can't believe I waited this long to play the game, but damn, it's really something. I totally see the similarity between DSIII, but I'm finding this game to be a lot harder. Went through dozens of Blood Vials before I got the hang of the starting area/map, and I finally just found out about that hidden path on the bridge near the boss - managed to find the Hunter equipment in the sewers, too. The atmosphere is fantastic, too. Can't wait to explore more of Yharnam.

Any tips for a Bloodborne noob, or does my experience with the Dark Souls series give me enough of what I need? Gonna take a look at the beginners guide in the OP, for sure.

Just the usual Dark Souls stuff I guess. Level up vitality early. Use whatever weapon you're comfortable with because they're all viable. One thing I wish I knew is that it's pretty cost and time effective to just buy blood vials in the Hunter's Dream rather than try to farm them.

ChrisD

Just the usual Dark Souls stuff I guess. Level up vitality early. Use whatever weapon you're comfortable with because they're all viable. One thing I wish I knew is that it's pretty cost and time effective to just buy blood vials in the Hunter's Dream rather than try to farm them.

YES
FOLLOW THIS ADVICE

Don't carry leftover Echoes from level-ups, spend them on Vials. I don't care if you've got fifty of the friggin' things in storage already. It is well worth it just to prevent (or greatly reduce) the mindless grinding for them. It can easily drag down your experience even doing simple Great Bridge Vial runs.

If you feel that you absolutely don't need anymore (but you doooo~) and that you're wasting Echoes, buy some Quicksilver Bullets, maybe a Fire Paper or something.

phoenixyz

Hey everyone, I have a question about Co-op: If I use a US PSN account (but reside in germany) can I play with someone who has a german account? Would there be complications?

Melchiah

Hey everyone, I have a question about Co-op: If I use a US PSN account (but reside in germany) can I play with someone who has a german account? Would there be complications?

It should be possible, as long as you set it on global in the game's online settings.

I had a co-op partner from Japan during my initial Ihyll chalice run.

Citadel

YES
FOLLOW THIS ADVICE

Don't carry leftover Echoes from level-ups, spend them on Vials. I don't care if you've got fifty of the friggin' things in storage already. It is well worth it just to prevent (or greatly reduce) the mindless grinding for them. It can easily drag down your experience even doing simple Great Bridge Vial runs.

If you feel that you absolutely don't need anymore (but you doooo~) and that you're wasting Echoes, buy some Quicksilver Bullets, maybe a Fire Paper or something.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll be sure to be keep my vials and bullets maxed out at 20 at all times, while also stocking up on cocktails. I've just defeated Father Gasciogne (his beast form was a BITCH) and I've upgraded my cleaver to +3 and infused it - I think I'm getting the hang of the normal enemies now, just gotta do some more exploration. So far, I'm having a blast with this game. Simply incredible.

Citadel

Help me GAF. should i start DarkSouls 2 or skip it and play BloodBorne instead?

Dark Souls II was the first Souls game that I finished all the way through, while Bloodborne is something I just started playing a few days ago for the first time; I'm still fairly early into the game. With that said, I would say play Bloodborne.

While I do think DS2 is a good game in its own right, and has solid gameplay, BB has that "true Dark Souls" feel to it, even as a spiritual successor of sorts, which is something I felt DS2 was missing. I recently finished DS3 and I'm finding the atmosphere in BB to be very similar to that, but with its own unique twist. Thanks to its fantastic setting, it makes combat that feels all the more visceral and brutal, as it fits the entire theme of the game.

Yeah. Go with Bloodborne. Which is what I'm going to do right now!

ajb1888

Banned
Wonder if there will ever be a way to obtain the Gamestop exclusive bandage hat thing for the little messengers. Its a really small thing, but I Wouldn't mind if they patched it in someday..

Made a good bit of progress today! Started off at the lamp under the laser shooting amygadala in yahar'gul. Got the key to upper cathedral ward. Cleared yahar'gul and beat the boss. Got through the 2nd floor of the lecture building and arrived at nightmare of mensis. Also cleared the upper catherdral, beat the celestial boss, and beat the boss in the altar of despair.

So all i have to do now is beat Martyr boss in Cainhurst. Well he is optional and I am having no luck with him so we'll see. Then push through mensis and i believe after that i face the boss in hunters dream.

J2d

Orphan of kos on ng7 is pretty damn hard, i have decent gems but still, feels like I'm gonna go through 6000 vials before I can do this :/

beat martyr logarius and micolash today! now i get the "grant us eyes" in the title :) finished afred's quest line too. will continue later and head towards the next boss...after that it's the final boss, right?

Bloody crow of cainhurst is a bit of a royal dick.

that's not eileen? i thought it was lol. i thought maybe it was her because i didn't kill that dude in tomb of odeon. i fought him but died then he never reappeared i guess she was pissed at me.

when i defeated micolash it showed a new path being opened but i have no idea how to get there? i can't remember any paths i couldn't take.

that's not eileen? i thought it was lol. i thought maybe it was her because i didn't kill that dude in tomb of odeon. i fought him but died then he never reappeared i guess she was pissed at me.

Eileen doesn't use a katana, so no.

The bridge is in the same place you fought micolash, just trek back up and you should see it

that's it, credits rolling, i'm done! might come back for another playthrough at some point and do the dlc too. i bought this game at launch and just could not get into it. i felt like i had wasted money and spent a lot of time hating on the game because i felt it was way too unfair.

i gave it another go after playing ds1+2 and that really helped. it has become my favourite playstation exclusive. i originally planned to play ds3 then bloodborne but decided to do both at the same time. i'm close to finishing ds3 just a couple more areas to go.

this game is fantastic. i'm a bit exhausted from it right now and wanted to focus on ds3 but i'll probably be back for more. i went into ng+ and defeated the cleric beast before i stopped. what a difference....for about a full year i could never get to the cleric beast and now i got there in within maybe 5 minutes and defeated it no problem.

yeah, i've only tackled it well after finishing all the other souls games, and the thing that strikes me the most is how it was made with a clear desire to trim as much unneeded fat from the design as possible. Thus, the recognition that by now 99% of the playerbase won't go for a fat roll style, and so it follows that there's no point in having armor or weapon weight as stats. Mostly no redundant weapons whatsoever, and the like. Also do enjoy the revised magic system, simple though it may be.

Do wish that they'd gone for a permanent bloodvial/bullet system, tho. I don't ever run out of those given that (i assume) im tackling the game after drop rates have been enhanced, but would've been nice to see a ds style "auto-refills to 5/10/15/20 on death", with random pickups as you play, given how much flak the game got over the current system.

SheHateMe

It's 5 AM here on the East Coast of the US.

It finally clicked, somewhat.

I bought this game the day it came out in March of last year, played it twice, died in the same spot (Executioner), and shelved it.

After getting home from work, I checked my backlog and saw that I hadn't touched this game in well over a year.

Brand new to this, I decided to give it one more shot before I tossed it in my Never Again Pile of Game Shame and started fresh.

I'm starting to get the hang of it. Leveled my weapon and my clothes, and met the Cleric Beast tonight, getting my first point of Insight.

I might be able to save myself and get through this game after all.

It's 5 AM here on the East Coast of the US.

It finally clicked, somewhat.

I bought this game the day it came out in March of last year, played it twice, died in the same spot (Executioner), and shelved it.

After getting home from work, I checked my backlog and saw that I hadn't touched this game in well over a year.

Brand new to this, I decided to give it one more shot before I tossed it in my Never Again Pile of Game Shame and started fresh.

I'm starting to get the hang of it. Leveled my weapon and my clothes, and met the Cleric Beast tonight, getting my first point of Insight.

I might be able to save myself and get through this game after all.

as my post above i was in pretty much the same situation. kept dying to the wolves on the bridge before cleric beast. gave up. tried it again. gave up. that was away last year. after playing ds1+2 i went back to it and the beginning was quite tough but it got easier. you'll get the hang of it. i just finished it last night. it's a brilliant game and i'm glad i gave it another shot.

if you find you still can't get into it and you haven't played any of the dark souls games then i'd recommend trying them first like i did. they are still tough but i just found them easier to get into. bloodborne can be tough even for people who are used to dark souls because it's much faster paced and you can't really block attacks because you don't have a shield but both games are very similar so you'll get into it easier.

for example, i learned from playing dark souls to not run into new rooms or around corridors you should use your camera to your advantage to check inside or around corners before moving in, don't be afraid to run past enemies and come back later, don't run towards a group of enemies but instead try lure them out and deal with them 1 by 1. also the sooner you start thinking of dying as a positive the better. if you die don't get frustrated but learn from it.

good luck :)

The single most constant lesson in Souls design is "never rush to pick up an item in plain sight".

Which also applies to never blindly going straight to an enemy that is shown as being immobile and having his back to you.

So I'm still terrible at this game. I've been afraid of going to the first boss (The Cleric Beast?). I've been exploring surrounding areas and such to grind, collect blood echoes for the purpose of leveling up.

I'm at level 20 now. I came across some giant pig that can take me out I'm two hits. But it isn't a boss???

I'm not sure what to do. Should I go fight the Cleric Beast or try to defeat the pig first.

Edit:
I'm using the axe. It's still the only weapon I have other than the pistol.

So I'm still terrible at this game. I've been afraid of going to the first boss (The Cleric Beast?). I've been exploring surrounding areas and such to grind, collect blood echoes for the purpose of leveling up.

I'm at level 20 now. I came across some giant pig that can take me out I'm two hits. But it isn't a boss???

I'm not sure what to do. Should I go fight the Cleric Beast or try to defeat the pig first.

Edit:

Commit to working on the Cleric Beast first. There's a trick to the pig if you want to know:
you can find a ladder that lets you get behind it so you can back stab to kill it easier.

Fwiw what really makes a difference (aside from points in vitality, which do wonders for survivability) is upgrading your weapon, and you won't manage to do that unless you progress in the game, so... might as well dive in. A good way to tackle your fear is watching some lvl1 boss vids. Also it's usually a good idea not to use lockon on giant enemies.

(at this point, the camera going wonky on those might as well be considered a feature)

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
ATTN Newcomers: Treat Bloodborne like a horror game. Taking a step forward should be making you shit your pants. I declare thee "Streaky Leakz"

Edit:

cleric beast is optional. stick close and stay behind it. use oil urns and molotovs. you can summon help too using insight. the giant pig isn't a boss but blocks a path into the next area. you can try running over the bridge instead of under it and then drop down the ladder to get behind the pig.

i'd focus on doing cleric beast and clearing every area you can access right up to the pig. after the pig is the first mandatory boss fight. make sure you unlock the shortcut back to where the troll is beside the water fountain just before the bridge to the wolves/cleric beast. there is an NPC at this shortcut who will give you something to help the next boss fight.

in bloodborne you can easily get through the entire game with the starting gear. i never changed my outfit and used my hunters axe/pistol to the very end. just keep upgrading it.

I'm 14 hours in and
I just killed Rom and got to the Unseen Village.
Am I rushing through the game? It feels like it should've taken me longer to get there.

silva1991

Bloody crow of cainhurst is a bit of a royal dick.

Lol I love how he healed himself right before that heal preventing item hits him.

I'm 14 hours in and
Am I rushing through the game? It feels like it should've taken me longer to get there.

14 hours in and first playthrough? damn, but it's ok. as long as you're having fun i doesn't matter.

I'm 14 hours in and

My first playthrough, no dlc, took me about 25 hours. That was doing all optional areas and bosses. I think 14 hours is a little soon to beat rom as it marks the start of third "act" of the game. right now you have 2 mandatory areas before the final boss. Well, 3 but 1 of them is really short with no boss.

You won't be able to do the hypogean gaol area now you've beat rom. Its the same place where you end up after his fight but it's got new enemies, a new boss, and is called Yahar'gul the unseen village. Other optional areas are nightmare frontier, cainhurst castle and upper catherdral ward/orphanage/altar of despair so you should do them if you want to play a bit more or just to lvl up.

No. I've gotten to Hypogean Gaol but I haven't really tried playing through the area yet.

Then yeah, you're probably rushing a bit. Especially since Yahar'gul... is... the hypogean gaol. It changes after you open the door. Can't revisit the old version, sadly. Cainhurst and especially the Nightmare frontier are really good areas, tho, so you might as well do them before yahar'gul, given their optimal level and all.

Guessing that you didnt step a single toe into the Chalice Dungeons, nor have you sat around helping people with bosses?

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
Started the game a few days ago, and I don't know if it's because of my choice of weapon (I'm trying to play with the whip since it looks Castlevania-y and I always play an axe or katana in DS so I wanted something different) but holy shit am I getting destroyed. I'm around the cathedral ward at the moment, and I constantly keep dying over and over. First those huge ass giants in the plaza, then this asshat with a gun as soon as I opened the gate behind the plaza. And on the other side, this fuckface with a gatling gun shooting on me while i'm getting ambushed by these annoying fast little hairy gollums. I love Souls games, but my god why am I having such trouble with this one..

Axe is way the heck easier due to transformed charged R2, L2, and massive regain, fwiw. There's a reason why it's called Spin to Win. Will stun even those giants, which are pretty dang harmless, tbh (and as usual, dodge towards the direction the blow is coming from). L2 just has massive reach and reasonably decent attack speed.

The asshat with the gatling gun is pretty interesting, once you realize how ridiculously short the run to his tower is. Here's the path, if you're interested. That is a wonderfully designed piece of the level, tbh.

As for the beasts, they're usually scared of fire. Holding a torch in your offhand will considerably reduce their aggressiveness. Also do remember to make use of backstep. Is great for controlling enemy attack range in this one (although fully grown werewolves will eventually fuck that up).

FINALLY BEAT THE CLERIC BEAST!

Proof:
wOSW97g.jpg

Video of this victorious attempt for anyone that cares/have interest in seeing a total n00b playing Bloodborne:
https://youtu.be/S-GJSQTdx-8

I had to consume all 20 blood vials to defeat him! Just WHOA!

Melchiah

Started the game a few days ago, and I don't know if it's because of my choice of weapon (I'm trying to play with the whip since it looks Castlevania-y and I always play an axe or katana in DS so I wanted something different) but holy shit am I getting destroyed. I'm around the cathedral ward at the moment, and I constantly keep dying over and over. First those huge ass giants in the plaza, then this asshat with a gun as soon as I opened the gate behind the plaza. And on the other side, this fuckface with a gatling gun shooting on me while i'm getting ambushed by these annoying fast little hairy gollums. I love Souls games, but my god why am I having such trouble with this one..

I recommend to use the whip form against the Chapel Giants. Their legs are the weak spot. When you get them to their knees, you can do a visceral strike. You'll have to switch to the cane form to do a visceral though.

It's also recommended to lure the Beast Patients inside, where you're safe from the gunfire, or just run past them to the tower to kill the hunter with a gatling gun. Whip form works well against enemy hunters, and they can also be parried with the gun you have.

myco666

Proof:

Video of this victorious attempt for anyone that cares/have interest in seeing a total n00b playing Bloodborne:
https://youtu.be/S-GJSQTdx-8

Watched your video and there are few advices I would like to give.

- You only seem to use strong attack. While it gives more damage per hit it is so much slower than light attack that you would probably get more damage out of lights than you do with strongs. Using lights also gives you way more opportunities to attack.

- You seem to ignore the regain system. Lot of the time you could easily get your life back by attacking but instead you run away to use Vial. You burn through Vials really fast with that tactic.

- While hit-n-run tactic is fine I would advice you to be much more aggressive. No need to go YOLO style but you would probably get through bosses faster and use way less items.

I mean... that's more because you mostly walk around and don't try to hit the boss than due to any other reason.

Be agressive! If you die, you die. It's just a short run back anyway. No boss should take more than 5 minutes to kill unless you're grossly underleveled/undergeared.

Do share your video against Papa G.
-

Rang the small bell to get a bit of experience with Ludwig, killed it on first try with another dood
"oh hey, this aint that bad, onwards to solo"

proceed to get mangled for 5 tries, not even managing to hit p2.

hubris is a harsh mistress.

Yawnny

...No boss should take more than 5 minutes to kill unless you're grossly underleveled/undergeared.

You beat Watch Dog of the Old Lords, from Defiled Chalice, in 5 minutes or under?

Came here to ask if someone is down to Co Op with me so we can try to take this sucker down (Watch Dog of the Old Lords). I've attempted Gaming Sessions on psnprofiles.com, but had no luck.

PSN ID: Yawnny

Let me know if you'd like to help out.

EDIT: I'm level 180

Thanks,

SDR-UK

You beat Watch Dog of the Old Lords, from Defiled Chalice, in 5 minutes or under?

Came here to ask if someone is down to Co Op with me so we can try to take this sucker down (Watch Dog of the Old Lords). I've attempted Gaming Sessions on psnprofiles.com, but had no luck.

PSN ID: Yawnny

Let me know if you'd like to help out.

EDIT: I'm level 180

Thanks,
I can help out in about an hour and a half? PSN is SDR-UK if you're interested.

Yawnny

I can help out in about an hour and a half? PSN is SDR-UK if you're interested.

I'm actually at work right now and won't be home till 6:30 Central Time (apologies, I should have mentioned that in my post).

Are you available this evening?
I appreciate the interest.

Thanks

SDR-UK

I'm actually at work right now and won't be home till 6:30 Central Time (apologies, I should have mentioned that in my post).

Are you available this evening?
I appreciate the interest.

Thanks

Yeah I'll be available then, just shoot me a message and friend request and we'll get through it.

Top Bottom