• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

You beat Watch Dog of the Old Lords, from Defiled Chalice, in 5 minutes or under?
Came here to ask if someone is down to Co Op with me so we can try to take this sucker down (Watch Dog of the Old Lords). I've attempted Gaming Sessions on psnprofiles.com, but had no luck.
PSN ID: Yawnny
Let me know if you'd like to help out.
EDIT: I'm level 180
Thanks,

Eh, fair enough. Should've made clear that that's only for NG standard game, chalice and ng+ excepted.

Only started running into chalice bosses that take a long time to kill now that i've started messing with depth 4+. Everything was pretty chill before that. Still, my bad. Ailing Loran BLB took a bit of readjusting >_>

Got the
Yharnam Sunrise
in 17 hours. Truly fantastic game. Just made a new character (skill build) to get one of the other endings and delve further into the DLC.

I should probably also slow the fuck down.

SDR-UK

Having trouble beating Father Gascoigne. The battle pace is far above what I'm use to. Can't break out the music box with out getting hit.

Make sure you're using the environment to make space between the two of you and don't be afraid to go up the steps. Also, be sure to go for parries, especially in Beast Mode! He's a true test of how aggressive bosses can get but it'll feel great when you do actually get him. Good luck.

And if you need CoOp help, hit us up. I'm sure most would be happy to help.

grmlin

I would strongly recommend beating him alone. It teaches you something and in the end you'll be a better player.

If you beat the game some day (and the DLC) you will return to him and think: wtf, did they patch him?

:D

Good luck!

if you want to use the music box, do it while he transforms. And dodge into the beast, he likes it in his face ;)

Yawnny

Having trouble beating Father Gascoigne. The battle pace is far above what I'm use to. Can't break out the music box with out getting hit.

As most people have recommended as a general Bloodborne rule of thumb:
Dodge in to the enemy, as opposed to around or backwards.

This often leaves them open after a big swing.

As most people have recommended as a general Bloodborne rule of thumb:
Dodge in to the enemy, as opposed to around or backwards.

This often leaves them open after a big swing.

That's generally how I've been able to get him to beast form. I dodge in, and I've been much more aggressive in my approaches compared to my Cleric Beast fight. But this aggressive approach

A) Lends itself to not having the time to get the music box to fully open (open to getting hit)
B) Gascoigne landing a combo on me and I'm dead after one combo.

Obscura

That's generally how I've been able to get him to beast form. I dodge in, and I've been much more aggressive in my approaches compared to my Cleric Beast fight. But this aggressive approach

A) Lends itself to not having the time to get the music box to fully open (open to getting hit)
B) Gascoigne landing a combo on me and I'm dead after one combo.

When he turns on beast mode you're free and clear to use the music box. It sounds like you're waiting till after the burst? There isn't really a reason to use it other than during his transformation. If you must, use the bunched together tombstones to separate him from you. I think you can only use the music box twice to stun him. EDIT: The wiki doesn't mention being able to use it multiple times. So yeah, just wait till he transforms, back away and use it. He won't be able to interrupt.

When he turns on beast mode you're free and clear to use the music box. It sounds like you're waiting till after the burst? There isn't really a reason to use it other than during his transformation. If you must, use the bunched together tombstones to separate him from you. I think you can only use the music box twice to stun him. EDIT: The wiki doesn't mention being able to use it multiple times. So yeah, just wait till he transforms, back away and use it. He won't be able to interrupt.

I will definitely try this. Thank you.

Yawnny

To be fair, I never attempted the music box with him so I'm not sure what kind of time it takes to use it.

I also grinded quite a bit in Central Yarnham to get me a bit stronger, but I know not everyone likes to grind and you certainly don't have to in this game, I was just fine with it.

Don't give up!

My post from another Bloodborne thread:
F*** THAT F***IN' F***ER!

EAT SH!T YOU A-HOLE:
s130Jpr.jpg

The video of the battle: Link

I need a beer now! And it's only 12 noon!

gwailo

Banned
Yeah, I can't really play this without a beer or something else *cough*.

I hit a wall with Nightmare of Mensis. The frenzy attacks in the beginning were really annoying and I hate the werewolves. Plus the hunter on the bridge after them was hard to me for some reason. So I grinded the rock throwing trolls and raised my endurance, which seems to have helped. Finally after about a week of off and on playing, I got past the hunter and then Micolash.

Currently grinding a bit more via the pigs that give out tons of echoes before taking on Mergo. Hopefully I'll be able to knock that out this weekend. I really like the game, but it's taking me forever to beat it since I don't have much time to play at a session, so I'm looking forward to moving on clear out a bit of my backlog.

Melchiah

I hit a wall with Nightmare of Mensis. The frenzy attacks in the beginning were really annoying and I hate the werewolves.

You can lure the wolves out in the open, where they get killed by frenzy. If you fight them, try to kill them with a visceral strike, that way the snakes won't come out of their bodies. Equipping frenzy resistant runes and gear also helps a lot.

gwailo

Banned
Yeah, I figured out that you can use the frenzy to kill the werewolves, but I don't know what it was, something just wasn't clicking... maybe I was getting burnt out a bit on the game. Like I said, I'm enjoying the game a lot, but I'm kinda ready for it to be done at this point. Eventually I just had to put down that ODC part of my head that would tell me that every enemy had to be killed and took to sprinting through that first part until you get to the giant spider.

Melchiah

Yeah, I figured out that you can use the frenzy to kill the werewolves, but I don't know what it was, something just wasn't clicking... maybe I was getting burnt out a bit on the game. Like I said, I'm enjoying the game a lot, but I'm kinda ready for it to be done at this point. Eventually I just had to put down that ODC part of my head that would tell me that every enemy had to be killed and took to sprinting through that first part until you get to the giant spider.

You're very close to the end. If you're going to play the DLC I recommend doing a backup save to USB-stick before killing Mergo.

BTW, The best way to max the amount of echoes and speed up the process is to equip all three Moon runes, or as many as you have, and lure the pigs to fight against the shadows.

grmlin

You can lure the wolves out in the open, where they get killed by frenzy. If you fight them, try to kill them with a visceral strike, that way the snakes won't come out of their bodies. Equipping frenzy resistant runes and gear also helps a lot.
You can use fire, too. Use a fire gem with a weapon for them and you are fine.

Question: Outside of the Tomb of Oedon, there is an area where... if I get close, some colorful light appears. What is that? Is that a portal for enemies to come through?

Melchiah

Question: Outside of the Tomb of Oedon, there is an area where... if I get close, some colorful light appears. What is that? Is that a portal for enemies to come through?

It'll all unravel when you reach the red moon phase. You could also say it's a portal, as you access the DLC from there when you've killed a certain boss.

gwailo

Banned
You're very close to the end. If you're going to play the DLC I recommend doing a backup save to USB-stick before killing Mergo.

BTW, The best way to max the amount of echoes and speed up the process is to equip all three Moon runes, or as many as you have, and lure the pigs to fight against the shadows.

Cheers, thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna go home, pop a couple of cold ones and try to beat Mergo.

Melchiah

Cheers, thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna go home, pop a couple of cold ones and try to beat Mergo.

You can also do it after Mergo, but you'd miss some dialogue if you started the DLC after that. It's not a big thing though, unless you're a completionist like I am. ;)

Why is there a dude on a clock tower with a mini gun??? Keep dying because of him. Is the a sniper rifle somewhere that I can use to take him out?

Nev

Banned
Why is there a dude on a clock tower with a mini gun??? Keep dying because of him. Is the a sniper rifle somewhere that I can use to take him out?

Old Yharnam or Upper Cathedral? If it's Old Yharnam, he's a NPC and he's hard to beat, there's a "sniper" in the DLC -a long range rifle that pierces through enemies- but it won't make the fight easier. If it's upper cathedral, those are trash mobs.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Does the music that plays during the Abhorrent Beast fight in Lower Loran play on a regular story (non-chalice) boss? I'm trying to remember where else I heard it...

Old Yharnam or Upper Cathedral? If it's Old Yharnam, he's a NPC and he's hard to beat, there's a "sniper" in the DLC -a long range rifle that pierces through enemies- but it won't make the fight easier. If it's upper cathedral, those are trash mobs.

Old Yharnam.

Related question: I ended up in Old Yharnam after beating Father Gascoigne. Is that where I need to be or somewhere else?

I'm still having a hard time beating that one hunter in Old Yharnam. It wouldn't be so bad if the NPC with the mini cannon isn't trying to take me out at the same time as well.

Old Yharnam.

Related question: I ended up in Old Yharnam after beating Father Gascoigne. Is that where I need to be or somewhere else?

I'm still having a hard time beating that one hunter in Old Yharnam. It wouldn't be so bad if the NPC with the mini cannon isn't trying to take me out at the same time as well.

I never know what qualifies as spoilers but:
there's a ladder you can climb to reach the gunner and take him out permanently.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, playing through for the first time and would like a recommendation on secondary weapons for a quality build. Been playing through with LHB, 25 Str, 25 Skl, and base levels for the other damage stats.

Currently at the forbidden woods and also accidentally wandered into the DLC and picked up the hammer. Seems like that and the tonitrus would make good utility weapons for elemental damage. Are there any other weapons that scale well with a quality build that I should try?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Honestly, Ludwig's Holy Blade is all my quality build ever used. xD I had a Stake Driver as backup and literally never used it...

You don't need an elemental back up, just use fire/bolt paper whenever.

How do you beat chalice amygdala? This fight is killing my platinum trophy chances

Once she rips her arms off run into her feet and wail on her feet at tail. You only have to avoid her stomps. If she leaps just stay where you are, she won't hit you. Once she lands immediately start wailing in her feet and tail again.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
How do you beat chalice amygdala? This fight is killing my platinum trophy chances

Lock to her head and stay in front all the time. Bait her head slam attacks.

Make sure you always have room to dodge backwards, if you get close to a wall try to move around and bait her out elsewhere.

When she flails about, stay back until she's done, then, if her head is lowered, run quickly to punish it. If it's not, don't bother, you won't have time and you'll be the one getting punished.

If she spews the grey vomit you can run to the side and get some free hits on her arms but don't get greedy. But for the most part, just attack the head.

If you have strong ranged attacks, such as the canon, repeating pistol (bloodtinge build -- don't forget bone marrow ash), arcane spells, etc. use them on the head in her final phase. Don't waste your ammo/ash too early when you might die in one hit/combo right after.

In the last phase, when she jumps, you will hear various tactics. Some say, do not move and she'll miss (works maybe 80% of the time in my experience). Others say roll towards where her head would be and she'll miss and you'll get some free hits (ditto). YMMV, there's sadly some luck involved.

Kaz42

Wow, didn't think I'd see a response until tomorrow at the earliest, thanks for the tips guys.

Edit: Amygdala is down. Thanks again for the tips! Used your advice, Morrigan, and baited the headslam and patiently attacked the head over and over until phase 2. I also saved the bone marrow ash and cannon combo until the end and was able to use it to visceral her. Incredibly tense when she jumped up over and over but the stay still technique worked well and allowed me to finish her off.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, Ludwig's Holy Blade is all my quality build ever used. xD I had a Stake Driver as backup and literally never used it...

You don't need an elemental back up, just use fire/bolt paper whenever.
Yeah I'm starting to realize this even though I started upgrading the boom hammer

Since I get 2 total blood rocks with the dlc included, is the cannon or gatling gun a better investment to +10 for pve? Or should I upgrade my blunderbuss?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Wow, didn't think I'd see a response until tomorrow at the earliest, thanks for the tips guys.

Edit: Amygdala is down. Thanks again for the tips! Used your advice, Morrigan, and baited the headslam and patiently attacked the head over and over until phase 2. I also saved the bone marrow ash and cannon combo until the end and was able to use it to visceral her. Incredibly tense when she jumped up over and over but the stay still technique worked well and allowed me to finish her off.
Cheers

Yeah I'm starting to realize this even though I started upgrading the boom hammer

Since I get 2 total blood rocks with the dlc included, is the cannon or gatling gun a better investment to +10 for pve? Or should I upgrade my blunderbuss?
I never really used the gatling gun but it seemed kind of bad. I'd go with the canon, to use as a boss finisher. But maybe someone else can make a good case for the gatling gun, IDK. Blunderbuss is not a very good ranged weapon so I see little point in upgrading it.

SDR-UK

Great that they're talking about the music of Bloodborne but can we get The Old Hunters portion of it on Spotify? I need some Ludwig, The Holy Blade in my life.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You just reminded me that I own the OST thanks to teiresias' generous gift from a few months ago:

I completely forgot I owned the Steelbook Collectors Edition of Bloodborne and went ahead and bought the soundtrack. Does anyone want my code for the free OST? I'm assuming they don't expire. First to PM me gets it.
Listening to it now. So good. Thanks again, teiresias! <3

Favourite tracks:
- Omen
- The Hunter
- Cleric Beast
- Terror*
- Darkbeast
- Amygdala*
- Queen of the Vilebloods
- The First Hunter
- Bloodborne

* Despite hearing it SO MANY TIMES hahaha FU Defiled WatchDog and Amy

And yeah, I'd love to get the DLC tracks available some time. Ludwig and Lady Maria's themes are bloody amazing too.

Grinchy

Banned
Came back to this game randomly and it reminded me of how good it is. I really can't seem to get into Dark Souls 3 on PC despite maxing its beautiful ass out. I think I just dislike the Dark Souls 3 combat formula compared to Bloodborne.

But I just beat the queen in the chalice dungeon for the trophy, so I just need to finish one or 2 playthroughs and this plat is mine!

Finally got round to buying the DLC after slogging my way to the Platinum Trophy at the end of last year.

Started it on NG+++. I've made a huge mistake.

I have managed to take down 3 of the bosses so far though. The Lady Maria fight was spectacular.

Bosses don't seem so bad. It's the normal enemy that gives me grief. I'm dead after just two or three hits. In hindsight I should've created a new character, but I'm in too deep now.

Welp, Yarham queen ded, moon presence dead. Started NG+ and realized that... huh, only, like, 7 bosses are mandatory. 1h later, was inside the nightmare of mensis. Wondering if i'll plat this before the ds3 dlc hits. A bit afraid of burnout.

And yeah, that defiled pthumeru chalice was by far the hardest thing in the damn game. For some reason it wasn't aggravating, though. Guess it's because the watchdog's moves are so clearly telegraphed.

Bosses don't seem so bad. It's the normal enemy that gives me grief. I'm dead after just two or three hits. In hindsight I should've created a new character, but I'm in too deep now.

Rest assured, even in NG they hit like trucks. Or at least they did against my 30 vit lvl 90 ass.

Top Bottom