• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Just got the game of the year-edition. I think I know the answer to this, but i should have PS+ before playing it right? Messages, invasions and ghosts all locked behind the paywall?

Veelk

Banned
It's been several months since I played Bloodborne, but I keep thinking about it every so often. It's weird how I remember it as the perfect experience, even though I remember being frustrated with many aspects of it. It was an excellent experience as a whole, and I considered it one of the best games I ever played by the time I was done with it, but I remember having a fair amount of minor criticisms...but right now, thinking back on it, I only remember the good parts.

Fuck you, Ludwig. I murdered you.

After various attempts with him murdering me. I beat him once only with help from another player.

LordOfChaos

In todays episode of Miyazaki Thought of Everything...

The Make Contact gesture. You make a right angle with your hands. It doesn't matter which way you're pointing as it shifts hands if you hold it long enough, probably just as your character gets tired in-lore. Why would this mean "make contact"?

Enter Gauss's pythagorean proposal. By forming a right angle in a first contact scenario it would show that we're capable of math and cognitive thought.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss's_Pythagorean_right_triangle_proposal

Miyazaki, man.

What's the deal with the Rifle Spear? I've never used it but read (in the active BSB thread) that its charged R2 is an easy cheese for bosses.

True?

myco666

What's the deal with the Rifle Spear? I've never used it but read (in the active BSB thread) that its charged R2 is an easy cheese for bosses.

True?

Fully charged R2 covers a lot of space. Basically you can be in safe distance and use it and just dash away to safe distance rinse and repeat. Never tried it or have seen anyone done this but on paper it sounds legit 'easy' mode tactic. You could probably get similiar results with 2H Axe spin but that has way lower range so you can't really be in a safe distance with it.

So I had been saving Old Hunters for a 'special time' or some such idea. Apparently this special time finally came last weekend when I decided to jump from my previous save with a level 80 character that I had stopped playing right around a good jumping in point.

Problem is, this was about 8 months ago and either I'm insanely rusty or Old Hunters is hard as balls. I'm getting hammered and I cleared almost all Chalice Dungeons even on my first play through...damn!

Those exploding hammer hunters or whatever you want to call them
are absolutely brutal. I have to say I came close to burying my controller in the TV after about 5 attempts at that
fucking magic giant monster that decimates the hunters at the cathedral doors

Ok, rant over.

Melchiah

So I had been saving Old Hunters for a 'special time' or some such idea. Apparently this special time finally came last weekend when I decided to jump from my previous save with a level 80 character that I had stopped playing right around a good jumping in point.

Problem is, this was about 8 months ago and either I'm insanely rusty or Old Hunters is hard as balls. I'm getting hammered and I cleared almost all Chalice Dungeons even on my first play through...damn!

are absolutely brutal. I have to say I came close to burying my controller in the TV after about 5 attempts at that

Ok, rant over.

I tried the DLC around 65 level at first, and gave up on the beast hunter. I returned to it, after I was around 90-95 level, and found it much more manageable.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Ok, rant over.

Bait the hammer hunter up to the cliff where the molotov throwers can't get to you. Be real patient in taking him out as he hits like a truck but attacks rather slow.

That Cathedral giant is probably the toughest regular enemy in the game in my opinion. The winter lanterns ain't got shit on Mr. Chubsthulu

Szadek

I'm currently replaying the game for the 3. time.
Was thinking about making a Bloodtinge build, but I don't think I'm up to the task of killing the secret boss at low level.
Instead I'm going for the Amygdalan Arm as my main weapons, since it's cool and relatively easy to get early on.

shmoglish

Dlc was fun, but easy (or I just had luck). Final fight is tough but fun. When I am down with the dlc I am going to give DkS2 another chance.

Ok, final boss down. Maybe I try to get the platinum trophy. One more playthrough and the dungeons + weapons. But first, DkS2
I find stacking as much Arcane defense as possible to be almost required for Rom.
Had my problems with the spiders 😅. I a am pretty sure they respawned around the launch.

LordOfChaos

At the end of the game. Should I fight
wheelchair guy
? Or take the easy ending?

Fight, then watch the easy ending online (or do the uploading your save thing to do it later)

Are you in the know about particular items relevant to the ending you get?

In related news Gehrman is one tough sumbitch, I'm right there now as well and gunning for the third ending.

LordOfChaos

I'm sitting at the end of the game, just the two combo wombo bosses left, all optional bosses taken care of.

I want to finish the game, but now I'm thinking, I haven't done the Old Hunters...I love the game but I kind of don't want to restart from 0 to do that, Bloodborne has already caused my backlog to pile up lol.

Should I leave the last bosses, get the DLC, do that, then finish the game? Or finish the game and do the DLC coming up from 0?

I think I'm at a level 80 at the end.

phoenixyz

I'm sitting at the end of the game, just the two combo wombo bosses left, all optional bosses taken care of.

I want to finish the game, but now I'm thinking, I haven't done the Old Hunters...I love the game but I kind of don't want to restart from 0 to do that, Bloodborne has already caused my backlog to pile up lol.

Should I leave the last bosses, get the DLC, do that, then finish the game? Or finish the game and do the DLC coming up from 0?

I think I'm at a level 80 at the end.

If you don't plan to do an NG+ I would say save the end boss(es) and do the DLC first.

combat102

Banned
Can we all agree that Ludwig is the greatest boss fight ever created? It took me 6 hours over the course of three days to finally kill him but holy shit was it thrilling. The transition to his second phase along with the change in music, is one of those gaming moments I will never forget. When you see him stand up on his hind legs with a giant moonlight blade; that imposing figure is enough to leave you in awe.

LordOfChaos

I was just sitting at work and I suddenly found Microlash's final words very funny.

"I'm waking up! Now I'll forget everything!"

This is some cosmic irony right here, lol. He's worried about forgetting, but once he wakes up, he'll find, well, nothing, because in the real world he's a long dead corpse.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Aight, starting a new game and thinking of what to play as. Leaning towards beast cutter and boom hammer combo, but both of those are one handed things, and I am tempted to try one of the weirder weapons and would like some recommendations.

combat102

Banned
Anyone willing to help me with Laurence? I'm level 185 right now and I've tried for a week to kill him with no luck. He kills me in two swipes and his fuckin bullshit 360 swipe 1 shots me. PSN : nabtonshu

jonjonaug

Anyone willing to help me with Laurence? I'm level 185 right now and I've tried for a week to kill him with no luck. He kills me in two swipes and his fuckin bullshit 360 swipe 1 shots me. PSN : nabtonshu
Have you tried using the Charred Hunter set? That extra fire defense can be the difference between dying in one or two hits.

Veelk

Banned
I just want to say that playing Dark Souls 3 just makes me miss Bloodborne. I like DS3 just fine and all, but I feel the best things about it are just stuff I get normally from BB. For instance, the DLC's final boss totally just feels like
Lady Maria with a bunch of unnecessary stuff added in.
I am currently doing a Demon's Souls playthrough, but if I can't get a half decent PC to run DS1 and 2 on it, I might just end up breaking and playing BB again.

LordOfChaos

So, just did the secret ending...

I...I know I shouldn't have expected any exposition from Bloodborne, but for the third and "final" ending, that was a bit nothing. I actually like the first ending, Yarnham Sunrise, better, even if it just leaves everything in a cycle.

So I finished this last week after a seriously long hiatus and am really considering DSIII. Does it play similar to BB or is it slow and plodding? I didn't finish or enjoy DS1 but I think that it's been so long since I played it that I might've just not got it.

Didn't get BB till I beat Rom and then it all started coming together, wish I hadn't waited so long to complete it.

Veelk

Banned
So I finished this last week after a seriously long hiatus and am really considering DSIII. Does it play similar to BB or is it slow and plodding? I didn't finish or enjoy DS1 but I think that it's been so long since I played it that I might've just not got it.

Didn't get BB till I beat Rom and then it all started coming together, wish I hadn't waited so long to complete it.

Haven't played DS, but I do know it's faster than DS but feels slower than BB. I don't know if it is actually slower, but you know how you can only really dodge in BB and even the text tells you using a shield is a bad idea? In DS, you are almost but not quite required to have a shield, and after BB, you'll have to get used to the idea that you need to endure hits rather than evade them. That makes it feel slower since sometimes, you just gotta turtle up.

I know I just said that BB is far better than DS3, and I still hold to that, but DS3 is a perfectly worthwhile game in itself. It's just that where BB felt like it was constantly escalating in quality, I feel that DS3 dips and rises in different areas, though I'm told it's far more consistent than DS or DS2.

Haven't played DS, but I do know it's faster than DS but feels slower than BB. I don't know if it is actually slower, but you know how you can only really dodge in BB and even the text tells you using a shield is a bad idea? In DS, you are almost but not quite required to have a shield, and after BB, you'll have to get used to the idea that you need to endure hits rather than evade them. That makes it feel slower since sometimes, you just gotta turtle up.

I know I just said that BB is far better than DS3, and I still hold to that, but DS3 is a perfectly worthwhile game in itself. It's just that where BB felt like it was constantly escalating in quality, I feel that DS3 dips and rises in different areas, though I'm told it's far more consistent than DS or DS2.

Thank for the write up! Is there a parrying mechanic in DSIII like the gun in BB?

Veelk

Banned
Thank for the write up! Is there a parrying mechanic in DSIII like the gun in BB?

Well, you played DS1. It has the same Riposte system that has. But I prefer Bloodborne's parrying because it's long distance and just feels better. So yes, has a counter system similar to parrying, but parrying is better.

Melchiah

From my personal experience, parrying is harder to pull off consistently in DS3, and it makes many of the bosses a lot harder to beat solo. Particularly the fast and more aggressive ones, which would be far more manageable in BB. I had to rely on NPC companions when fighting several of them, and another player for the last optional boss, which is something I only did in BB's Ihyll chalice, and against Ludwig and Laurence.

From my personal experience, parrying is harder to pull off consistently in DS3, and it makes many of the bosses a lot harder to beat solo. Particularly the fast and more aggressive ones, which would be far more manageable in BB. I had to rely on NPC companions when fighting several of them, and another player for the last optional boss, which is something I only did in BB's Ihyll chalice, and against Ludwig and Laurence.

Got it. Thanks for the info.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Just got the game of the year-edition. I think I know the answer to this, but i should have PS+ before playing it right? Messages, invasions and ghosts all locked behind the paywall?

Yes. Really kinda sucks that you need PS+ to even play coop. I really don't care about invasions but being able to play with a friend shouldn't cost what it does.

Aters

Dead, lost 60000 echoes.
Go to take my money back, drop off a cliff.

I think that's enough videogame for this weekend.

Dead, lost 60000 echoes.

We've all been there! In the end, what were you going to do with it, drop it in to a couple of levels and buy some vials with the spare change? You can get that back in no time just in the Chalice Dungeons. Pick yourself back up, the hunt is still on! :)

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Just started this week.

After 2 hours - was getting super frustrated at the tedious combat but then realized you could transform weapons and I was using some super slow attack. Switching to the faster attack changed the game to "easy" mode for the first level.

After 6 hours - whoa, beat 2nd boss, pretty sweet.

After 12 hours - double whoa, game is starting to click, understand level design and unlocking shortcuts, etc.

This game is legit amazing!

Aters

We've all been there! In the end, what were you going to do with it, drop it in to a couple of levels and buy some vials with the spare change? You can get that back in no time just in the Chalice Dungeons. Pick yourself back up, the hunt is still on! :)

Then a sucker with no life invaded my world and rekt me with DLC weapons.

Veelk

Banned
Dead, lost 60000 echoes.

As someone who actually really hates the way currency works not just in this game but in all souls games, let me say that it honestly doesn't matter as much as you think it does.

The most important thing for you to do is level up your weapons where you can. This makes a MUCH greater difference in terms of how much damage you put out. And as far as echoes go, as you go forward with the game, you earn more souls as the levels and enemies get more challenging. At some point, you'll be earning 60K souls just killing 5 enemies.

I get how it's a demoralizing factor and I think it's shitty, but there's nothing for it except to move forward.

Then a sucker with no life invaded my world and rekt me with DLC weapons.

This, however, I can't help you with. I've never been invaded, because I play offline specifically to avoid nonsense like this.

Aters

As someone who actually really hates the way currency works not just in this game but in all souls games, let me say that it honestly doesn't matter as much as you think it does.

The most important thing for you to do is level up your weapons where you can. This makes a MUCH greater difference in terms of how much damage you put out. And as far as echoes go, as you go forward with the game, you earn more souls as the levels and enemies get more challenging. At some point, you'll be earning 60K souls just killing 5 enemies.

I get how it's a demoralizing factor and I think it's shitty, but there's nothing for it except to move forward.

This, however, I can't help you with. I've never been invaded, because I play offline specifically to avoid nonsense like this.

Oh thanks. I should play offline from now on. Didn't think of that.

Veelk

Banned
Oh thanks. I should play offline from now on. Didn't think of that.

I should mention that I'm kind of a wierdo when it comes to online features. Most people like it, I just happen to be part of the minority. But yeah, there's an offline option in the menu if you don't.

Melchiah

I should mention that I'm kind of a wierdo when it comes to online features. Most people like it, I just happen to be part of the minority. But yeah, there's an offline option in the menu if you don't.

Same here. I also prefer to be surprised, instead of knowing what's ahead due to the cluttered player notes.

Veelk

Banned
Does anyone know exactly how much more HP Lady Maria has in NG+?

One thing that I thought would have helped improve her fight was a greater health pool, since she goes down rather fast. I'm just wondering if it's a marginal improvement or what.

SDR-UK

I appreciate the advice. Is there a particular order I should shoot for? Straight to Cainhurst after Byrgenwerth, or should Cainhurst get slotted in somewhere else down the line?

Cainhurst Castle is considered an "end-game optional area", so I would personally go to there after it is evident you're at the end boss. Sorry for the vagueness but I don't want to ruin/name any boss that you may not know of. It'll be apparent when you're at the end-game though.

Aters

Just beat Rom. That was too easy I just took out all the small spiders first lol. OK I admit I was over-leveled, a lot. I think I'm level 59 now lol.

I'm thinking of buying The Old Hunters soon. I haven't played the game since I platinumed it a year and a half ago. My character is level 145, and I believe she is on her third playthrough (NG++). I've got two questions.

1. Is there a way to check on which playthrough I am?
2. Will the DLC be too hard/frustrating if I play it on a playthrough other than the first one?

Top Bottom