• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

myco666

Finished the optional castle. The most difficult thing in that area are the spiders and worms outside the castle. I thought this area would be a huge death trap judging from the tough battles outside, nope. Once I got into the castle it became a cakewalk.

Yeah that area has weird difficulty balance. First enemies are probably hardest in the entire game and after that it is smooth sailing up until the boss. Those 'worms' are also annoying as fuck.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Am I going to be missing something major if I just play and beat the base game, without Old Hunters installed?

I realize this has probably been asked a lot, but Google turned up nothing and I didn't see anything in the OP, so I apologize if it's redundant. I'd like to play through the game, but if Old Hunters adds something other than new areas/bosses/stuff then I'll hold off until I can buy the dlc...

SDR-UK

Am I going to be missing something major if I just play and beat the base game, without Old Hunters installed?

I realize this has probably been asked a lot, but Google turned up nothing and I didn't see anything in the OP, so I apologize if it's redundant. I'd like to play through the game, but if Old Hunters adds something other than new areas/bosses/stuff then I'll hold off until I can buy the dlc...

You're safe to play. After all, that is how most of us ended up playing when we bought the game on release. Just pick up The Old Hunters down the line if you enjoy the game.

You will miss supposedly one of the best DLCs ever released. You're in luck, as its for sale this week: 8$ instead of 20$.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Thanks all! I'd buy Old Hunters, but I only have $3.84 left in my PSN wallet and no way to add any more right now. I'm sure it'll be on sale down the road, I'll snag it later, I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be missing anything other than the DLC areas/etc.

Really need to break my habit of summoning help for bosses. I beat Cleric and Blood Starved on my own, but had co-op for Gascoigne, Djura, and Vicar after dying a few times to them. I'm not that good with hunter-style bosses

Aters

Started the Old Hunter! Those human hunters are weak! The hunters in base games are so much tougher. Or maybe I'm overleveled? I'm on my first playthrough. Totally expecting them to fuck me up in NG+.

Toxi

Banned
Started the Old Hunter! Those human hunters are weak! The hunters in base games are so much tougher. Or maybe I'm overleveled? I'm on my first playthrough. Totally expecting them to fuck me up in NG+.
What level are you? Most of the "hunters" in The Old Hunters are normal enemies that respawn, not player character NPCs that die permanently, though there are still a few of the player character NPCs that show up.

Aters

What level are you? Most of the "hunters" in The Old Hunters are normal enemies that respawn, not player character NPCs that die permanently, though there are still a few of the player character NPCs that show up.

Oh I guess that's why. I'm level 74. I had an illusion that I finally git gud.

taybul

Oh poor hunter..you know not what lies ahead.

SDR-UK

Thanks all! I'd buy Old Hunters, but I only have $3.84 left in my PSN wallet and no way to add any more right now. I'm sure it'll be on sale down the road, I'll snag it later, I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be missing anything other than the DLC areas/etc.

Check your PMs.

The_Dama

Hi people, can someone help me beat the BSB. I don't have PS+ but I can get the 7 day trial. I don't know how summoning works and I know ps4 let's you remote in to someone else's ps4. Whatever works.

I will be on tonight. Any help would be appropriated. PM me or add me on PSN. xDAMAx

Thanks

Melchiah

Level 74 isn't high by the DLC standards. You're better than me, if you don't have problems at that level. I tried the DLC at level 60, when I was at Rom, but decided to return there at around level 90, when I had beaten Micolash. The official guide recommends level 80, with +9 weapon.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I started Old Hunters yesterday in NG+ since I'm dusting off the character I used on my original playthrough. Played for an hour or so, and those guys are beating the shit out of me at level 83. Most hits they land on me are like 75% of my health bar or more. There was one guy who could oneshot me on counterhit, and I feel like I may be lacking in DPS too. Everything just has so much health in NG+.

These guys are no fucking joke, but I'm really enjoying the atmosphere so far. They really nailed the feel of
a world where insane hunters just hunt and hunt forever

Deku Tree

If you know what to do and your good at the game then the DLC is very beatable on NG at levels 60-70. The official guide suggests lvl 80. Its comfortable at level 90. But the DLC is brutal at any level really no matter how high you are the bosses are still punishing and you have to learn their mechanics. The DLC bosses are the hardest in the game.

Nev

Banned
Finished the optional castle. The most difficult thing in that area are the spiders and worms outside the castle. I thought this area would be a huge death trap judging from the tough battles outside, nope. Once I got into the castle it became a cakewalk.

Cainhurst has to be one of the most dissapointing areas for me. I read great stuff about it and when I got there and I saw this huge castle I was expecting Sen Fortress 2.0, but ended up being let down by the lack of traps/platforming. It's a thing I have to prefer from DS over BB. There's barely any level that relies heavily on platforming and traps like Sen or Anor Londo in BB.

It sucks because I loved those, but I guess the vocal crybabies won so we ended up with 90% straightforward, plain levels in which the only challenge is killing enemy after enemy.

Deku Tree

Cainhurst has to be one of the most dissapointing areas for me. I read great stuff about it and when I got there and I saw this huge castle I was expecting Sen Fortress 2.0, but ended up being let down by the lack of traps/platforming. It's a thing I have to prefer from DS over BB. There's barely any level that relies heavily on platforming and traps like Sen or Anor Londo in BB.

It sucks because I loved those, but I guess the vocal crybabies won so we ended up with 90% straightforward, plain levels in which the only challenge is killing enemy after enemy.

To progress Cainhurst castle you have to
climb out of a window and fall down onto a balcony and then climb across a narrow ledge and into another window. Then you have to climb up to a roof and know to fall down off the roof onto another circular roof in order to make it to the boss.
There is no platforming like that in DS3.

Shmuppers

Wow, I didn't even know this game had a community thread.

My main char uses the Beast Claw+
Beast Transformation Rune
with 50/25 strength skill. Absolutely melts everything in the game. It's so fun.

SDR-UK

climb out of a window and fall down onto a balcony and then climb across a narrow ledge and into another window. Then you have to climb up to a roof and know to fall down off the roof onto another circular roof in order to make it to the boss.

Or you turn into a pro and make a jump avoiding outside altogether. Alas, still an undercooked area in my opinion.

Nev

Banned

It's the only part though. Not even remotely comparable. I haven't played DSIII yet so I can't speak for that one, though it sounds extremely dissapointing if they turned down the platforming elements even more.

Cainhurst was the perfect place to go all in with platforming and trap stuff, it just calls for it and it's an optional area so the crybabies who complain about "too much platforming" in previous games can ignore it and go kill enemies non-stop somewhere else.

I bet it was the initial idea but it was never fully realised as they gave priority to non-optional areas before release.

Eh, the optional areas in DS3 are done via platforming

Akuun

If you know what to do and your good at the game then the DLC is very beatable on NG at levels 60-70. The official guide suggests lvl 80. Its comfortable at level 90. But the DLC is brutal at any level really no matter how high you are the bosses are still punishing and you have to learn their mechanics. The DLC bosses are the hardest in the game.
What's a typical level for doing it in NG+? I'm level 83 with a +10 cane.

Nose Master

Bleh. Ran through the DLC back when it came out on my roommate's PS4 with a throwaway character, finally bought it on my main account to get that platinum...

Maybe going through on a NG+++ file was a mistake. I blew through a few runs for trophies back when it released and just used my main file. Got to
Ludwig
just fine (running past everything), but he is giving me the business. He gave me the most trouble out of the DLC bosses the first time too, but man. I'm rusty and got him to 25%, but I'm not consistent at all anymore. I get him to the second phase only 1/4 of the time, at most.

First dungeon is still trash. There's zero reason to deal with those hunters. Such an awkward difficulty spike which isn't present in the rest of the DLC. If you leveled enough to take care of those hunters easily, you'd break the entire rest of the DLC.

Deku Tree

What's a typical level for doing it in NG+? I'm level 83 with a +10 cane.

Maybe 110-120 to finish the DLC on NG+?

10+ weapon is not that good on higher NG cycles if it doesn't have gems in it TBH.

Also depends on whether you did chalice dungeons and what kind of blood gems you have. The blood gems that you can quickly grind right before the final boss of the DLC can get you pretty far.

Nose Master

Kinda wish I could just warp to the ook fight now, the dungeons and other bosses (beat
Ludwig
) are such a slog in the dlc.

Aters

I'm a idiot. I didn't know you actually consume the frenzy coldblood to get echoes. I just sell them directly. FUCK!! I must have wasted a million echoes.

Just got the Blade of Mercy

Yeah, think I'm going to have to use this instead of the Saw Spear as my speed/precision weapon

Doesn't hurt that it looks so damn cool

Veelk

Banned

Yeah, think I'm going to have to use this instead of the Saw Spear as my speed/precision weapon

It's even made from special metal that only one other weapon is made, and the other weapon is a spoiler so don't search it. I almost made it my main weapon before I fell in love with another.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I dont know what im looking at but i dont see a 2 so i dont care. But no really mt first reaction is game of the year edition, but isn't there already one?

Amazing weapon, but it has a few disadvantages compared to the Saw Spear. While transformed you can't use guns and it doesn't have a charge attack. Can't be buffed and it does way less damage (if you have a quality build), having less range too. Also doesn't have 20% damage bonus against beasts (very significant IMO, especially against bosses).

It's made for dodge->attack, since you have a 40% or 50% damage bonus doing that kind of moves (quickstep, backstep, rolling plus R1). Regular R1 only starts to do considerable damage after the 4th hit, so unless you know you can do a big combo, it's not worth it. Basically what you want to be doing using that weapon is dash+R1+L2 to get away while causing damage. All of this while transformed obviously.

Akuun

Maybe 110-120 to finish the DLC on NG+?

10+ weapon is not that good on higher NG cycles if it doesn't have gems in it TBH.

Also depends on whether you did chalice dungeons and what kind of blood gems you have. The blood gems that you can quickly grind right before the final boss of the DLC can get you pretty far.
Thanks. So I probably have a rough road ahead of me, or some grinding to do.

I agree about the gems. I have three gems in the cane that are around +15% to +18% attack, but I do feel that I'm lacking damage. I just beat the Witches before going into the DLC, and just hacking at them with the sword form of the cane took forever. I definitely need more stats or better gems.

As for the Blade of Mercy, I think that's the coolest looking weapon in the game (I fucking love the animation where you put it back together), but I have trouble making it work. It only really does good damage when you get that transformed R1 spam going, but the chances where you can do that are usually few and far in between. And the whole dodge > stab > dodge thing can be done with most weapons, so I always find myself going back to the cane thanks to its versatility. I do still keep it around as an alt weapon, but I don't use it often.

I do sometimes use the BoM without transforming it because it's just a really fast short sword that way. I beat the Cainhurst boss with it.

grmlin

So I originally started a pyromancer build in DS3, but I really want to play BB again after DS3. Don't know why, it's just a feeling.

Any fun build recommendations? I played a skill char and it was pretty fun, tried arcane and didn't like it (even though you can wreck beasts with it)

Akuun

So I originally started a pyromancer build in DS3, but I really want to play BB again after DS3. Don't know why, it's just a feeling.

Any fun build recommendations? I played a skill char and it was pretty fun, tried arcane and didn't like it (even though you can wreck beasts with it)
I've been toying with a strength build and sticking mostly to the Kirkhammer. You have to deal with the windup of the slower strength weapons and judge range/timing much more carefully. But it's really satisfying when you land those really huge blows.

Just picked up the Old Hunters DLC yesterday. I just beat Rom and almost had One Reborn down last night. I would prefer to start the DLC before finishing the base game. Can I start it at anytime at this point?

Akuun

Just picked up the Old Hunters DLC yesterday. I just beat Rom and almost had One Reborn down last night. I would prefer to start the DLC before finishing the base game. Can I start it at anytime at this point?
Yes, you can start it anytime after you beat Amelia.

Top Bottom