• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
At that level, it's going to be really hard, but still doable. I'd still recommend making a fresh playthrough but I am biased and love making new builds and characters so...

As for the playthrough.... if you haven't sold/destroyed the gold pendant (or the unique blood gem it yields) you can check how many of those you have? You get it after beating Vicar Amelia. Or the red jewelled brooch, or tear stone?

I can't really think of another way to check which playthrough you're at.

Deku Tree

I'm thinking of buying The Old Hunters soon. I haven't played the game since I platinumed it a year and a half ago. My character is level 145, and I believe she is on her third playthrough (NG++). I've got two questions.

1. Is there a way to check on which playthrough I am?
2. Will the DLC be too hard/frustrating if I play it on a playthrough other than the first one?

1. Check how many micolash helmets you have if you haven't sold any. It goes right into your inventory, it's a non skippable boss, and you get one on each playthrough

2. The DLC is much easier on your first playthrough but if your good then it's very doable at 145 on NG++.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
1. Check how many micolash helmets you have if you haven't sold any. It goes right into your inventory, it's a non skippable boss, and you get one on each playthrough
Oh, good idea. I tend to sell off junk myself, but if he hoards all the items that's a good way to know, wonder why I didn't think of it.

Veelk

Banned
Does anyone know exactly how much more HP Lady Maria has in NG+?

One thing that I thought would have helped improve her fight was a greater health pool, since she goes down rather fast. I'm just wondering if it's a marginal improvement or what.

Anyone?

Hmm, I don't see any Micolash helmets in my inventory, which is weird, cause I should have kept at least one. Though I have two of several things, so I'm probably on my third playthrough.

xuchu

Looking to revisit this gem of a game too after getting the platinum last year. Interested to making a build that eventually uses the burial blade. A quick look online says a 50 skill build is best as the arcane scaling doesn't do much for the weapon. Is that still the case?

Aters

Just killed Crow. Poison Knife for the win! Poor lady barely had any health when the fight actually began and I took her out with three hits. I love cheesing through these fights!

Also: Do people really think this is a good female character? She's hardly a character at all. had there been one thing interesting about her, I would never have killed her.

Veelk

Banned
Every souls character is barely a character. (That I've seen) The cleverest thing From does is that they make the players look into the characters themselves, meaning they take implications and write greater depth than there actually is in the game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just killed Crow. Poison Knife for the win! Poor lady barely had any health when the fight actually began and I took her out with three hits. I love cheesing through these fights!

Also: Do people really think this is a good female character? She's hardly a character at all. had there been one thing interesting about her, I would never have killed her.
Well if you kill her so early obviously she won't have time to complete her story arc... you monster >:|

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Well if you kill her so early obviously she won't have time to complete her story arc... you monster >:|

Did you actually complete her questline upto the Grand Cathedral?

She also gives the best weapon and armor set in the game, whats not to like about her

Ferr986

I'm thinking of buying The Old Hunters soon. I haven't played the game since I platinumed it a year and a half ago. My character is level 145, and I believe she is on her third playthrough (NG++). I've got two questions.

1. Is there a way to check on which playthrough I am?
2. Will the DLC be too hard/frustrating if I play it on a playthrough other than the first one?

145 is enough for DLC++ (defense caps at 142) but it really depends on how much HP you have. Bosses hits like trucks.

Aters

No I didn't kill her early. I was going to help her fight the hunter in the graveyard but when I got there I found nobody. So I just killed her after beating Rom.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
No I didn't kill her early. I was going to help her fight the hunter in the graveyard but when I got there I found nobody. So I just killed her after beating Rom.

You kill her 5 mins after meeting her and then claim she isnt a good character?

OK

Got into the game again recently, making nice progress compared to last time (ie I finally killed the Cleric Beast today)

How's the Kirkhammer? I've been using the Saw Spear

Deku Tree

Got into the game again recently, making nice progress compared to last time (ie I finally killed the Cleric Beast today)

Kirkhammer is ok. I feel like it's trick forms animation too slow for the way I like to play.

But Pretty much you can use any weapon in the game the whole way through. Find one that you like and go with it.

Saw Spear is one of the most versatile weapons in the game and it does bonus serrated damage to beasts in both of its forms. Pretty much it's all you need if you like it.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Every souls character is barely a character. (That I've seen) The cleverest thing From does is that they make the players look into the characters themselves, meaning they take implications and write greater depth than there actually is in the game.

I mean a big part of that is what do you define as "a character?" Personally, they fit what I want perfectly in the sense that I think their stories are incredibly interesting and they exists within interesting roles (to me) within their stories. Part of what helps is that the world is just inherently interesting, so even mundane things like going to the grocery store become these interesting stories to me.

Again, very personal to me, I think every character in BB is great and they don't' get enough credit as they deserve. Eileen is one of my favorite characters in anything in large part because she's just an old woman who is tired. Not necessarily of her work, not of the killing, not of any grand conceptual/philosophical reason. She is just physically tired because she's old and can't quite hunt the way she used to anymore. And I love that about her. Same with most of the NPCs, I could wax poetic about the hunters but also of some of the town folk you pick up.

Side note: have you read the Pale Blood Hunt? If not, I'd recommend it because it actually offers a really neat digs kinda too deep theory that really offers a whole new context to view some of the characters like Eileen and Djura.

In theory you can use any weapon and it really is just a matter of preference regarding how cool you think the thing is. I really like the Kirk Hammer and think its underratted since most people just move from that to Ludwig's Holy Blade.

Veelk

Banned
I mean a big part of that is what do you define as "a character?" Personally, they fit what I want perfectly in the sense that I think their stories are incredibly interesting and they exists within interesting roles (to me) within their stories. Part of what helps is that the world is just inherently interesting, so even mundane things like going to the grocery store become these interesting stories to me.

Mostly character depth. You know, feeling like a real person. I feel that every character I meet is very two dimensional and shallow, but their very mysterious which offers the illusion of depth.

Again, very personal to me, I think every character in BB is great and they don't' get enough credit as they deserve. Eileen is one of my favorite characters in anything in large part because she's just an old woman who is tired. Not necessarily of her work, not of the killing, not of any grand conceptual/philosophical reason. She is just physically tired because she's old and can't quite hunt the way she used to anymore. And I love that about her. Same with most of the NPCs, I could wax poetic about the hunters but also of some of the town folk you pick up.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I mean. All we actually know is that she was a hunter of hunters and then got too old to do it anymore. She's grateful when you help her out (a reaction that almost any basic human would have) and she succumbs to madness gripping the rest of Yharnam's inhabitants. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but anything else is just trivial information, like that she knew henrik (which is natural, since she's old, it's not surprising that she'd be familiar with other hunters in her time here).

Anything else, like that she's foreign or whatever, that's stuff we can only speculate about. And when you speculate, you start writing depth to a character that isn't there.

Look, I like Eileen too. I certainly don't dislike any of Bloodborne's characters. And I don't think there's anything wrong with speculating what you can infer from vague clues left in other parts of the narrative. But there's no meat to it and being able to wax poetic about isn't remarkable. People have been singing songs about the most broad, vague, and simple concepts since the start of time. Love for instance.

And I think that's alright. The simple can also be quite powerful. Bloodborne's atmosphere and feel are more important to it's narrative than the characters. And my personal journey through Bloodborne left my mind lingering on it far longer than most games with deeper characters have. For me, Bloodborne felt like a dream, scary and confusing, and there's no reason that shouldn't be true of it's characters.

But I was replying to Aters statement of her barely feeling like a character and he's right, because I define character by how much they feel like a real person. Eileen, or any souls character, does not. She feels like a dream.

Side note: have you read the Pale Blood Hunt? If not, I'd recommend it because it actually offers a really neat digs kinda too deep theory that really offers a whole new context to view some of the characters like Eileen and Djura.

I read part of it through, including the parts of Eileen and Djura. The only thing I gained from it is the understanding that I do not care what Souls stories are.

They have a narrative, but if I go actually go try to pay attention to it, the actual facts of the narrative are vague and shallow and, more often than not, unsatisfying. Most inferences that can be made require huge leaps of logic. "She's wearing clothing that in the item descriptions sounds like it's foreign. She must be foreign as well!" ....So? That really doesn't tell me anything about her. She's no more or less remarkable than if I had assumed she was native. Besides, it doesn't even prove she's native. Hunters can just put on any clothes they feel like, so she could have just as easily looted this gear like I did.

Trying to clue find in souls stories are a pure intellectually driven exercise. If you try and search for answers, you'll find a few, but when you get down to it, does the exercise actually make you care more? Is there any more significance gleamed for the fact that you discern some obscure fact from the mystery?

For others, I'm sure the answer is yes, but for me, I stopped reading about halfway through because I realized that none of the answers made me care more about the story than I had if I hadn't read them. I still like the story of Bloodborne....Love the experience of bloodborne, I should say.

But if I'm going to be a part time writer of the series, where I infer and imagine more narrative than is actually there in the game, I'd rather go full in, which is why I disregard the descriptions and everything and just role play some kind of character. My BB character was a jokester noble that made wisecracks about the cosmic horrors he encountered. He was a nice guy that did his best to help out, but often fucked up. It later became clear that his humor was him just trying to cling to insanity, with questionable success. For example, when he realized that killing Rom broke the spell, he blamed Master Willem and went straight back to confront him. As Master Willem was unresponsive, my character eventually just left in anger.....only to run back from the gates and stab him to death.

I have no problem enjoying my own narrative if the game's fails me. It's basically how I play pokemon. I don't care what the actual game narrative is, I'm writing my own character and my own story in my head as I go along. But I do consider it a failure of the game's narrative to engage me emotionally. As amazing as Bloodborne is, I feel there's something wrong with a game if I don't care about anyone. Like, I like Eileen as a concept just fine, sure. But I lacked any pathos at her death as a player. It's just "Oh, so that was the next step of her quest." I felt no particular desire to do right by her. My character that I was roleplaying cared, because he's the sentimental type, and that's how I played him, but I myself didn't. Because she was just too shallow to feel like a real person to me.

Styles

Finally killed OoK on my Holy Knight build after leaving the game for DS3 in April, and it's solidified Bloodborne as the best game in the Soulsborne series.

Oh, and the Holy Moonlight Sword is definitely the best weapon in videogame history. :)

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Mostly character depth. You know, feeling like a real person. I feel that every character I meet is very two dimensional and shallow, but their very mysterious which offers the illusion of depth.

Truth be told, I have never liked that idea of "character depth" being required for a character to feel like a real person because I personally believe that the only thing a character really needs to do for me to feel like a real person is speak, and something I don't even need that. I'll admit, it does lead to a some inferring on my part but I've always felt that the farmer with no ambitions was a realer person to me than the prince slighted by a kingdom on a redemption arc, if that makes sense? Kind of tempted to do a counter long write up cause I'm tired and rambly, but really I think it simply comes down to a simple difference in what both of us look for in a characters.

With that said, I am curious what you think of Siegmeyer of Catrina from Dark Souls 1 if you played it? Mostly because I feel like he might be a compromise of what I think both of us think constitutes "good" characterization.

Veelk

Banned
Truth be told, I have never liked that idea of "character depth" being required for a character to feel like a real person because I personally believe that the only thing a character really needs to do for me to feel like a real person is speak, and something I don't even need that. I'll admit, it does lead to a some inferring on my part but I've always felt that the farmer with no ambitions was a realer person to me than the prince slighted by a kingdom on a redemption arc, if that makes sense? Kind of tempted to do a counter long write up cause I'm tired and rambly, but really I think it simply comes down to a simple difference in what both of us look for in a characters.

With that said, I am curious what you think of Siegmeyer of Catrina from Dark Souls 1 if you played it? Mostly because I feel like he might be a compromise of what I think both of us think constitutes "good" characterization.

I unfortunately only played DS3 on my PS4.

I hope to have a very merry christmas and upgrade my computer so it can play Dark Souls 1 and 2 (as well as many other games). I'll let you know then.

Toxi

Banned
It's been a year since I last fought Defiled Watchdog and now that I'm fighting him again I remember why Defiled Watchdog is a motherfucker.

There's nothing quite like the feeling where you realized you're making progress because you discovered a new area while simultaneously realizing this new area is a boss fight

Aka just got my ass kicked by Gascoigne

Saw Spear is one of the most versatile weapons in the game and it does bonus serrated damage to beasts in both of its forms. Pretty much it's all you need if you like it.
Yeah decided to stick with the Spear after trying out the Kirkhammer a bit. The range of the Spear's heavy attack is way too useful

I've played the game many times since it released, but it's been awhile since I did a complete playthrough of the game that didn't involve just rushing through.

So I've started up a nice, slow, calm playthrough where I intend to take my time, take in the scenery, read all the item descriptions, talk to all the NPCs, and jut generally enjoy it to its fullest. I've been loving it so far, and forgot about some of the nice little touches in the NPC dialogue and other details, as well as how they follow through nicely with things that come along later in the game.

I'm also tackling the fixed Chalice Dungeons in this run, and am going to go through one of them after each boss fight or two in the main game, which I think will help keep them from being too easy or tedious.

Veelk

Banned
What is insight for? I have 7 at the moment, but haven't seen anywhere to spend/use it

You can spend it at another shop in the Dream, which later on in the game can really be clutch. But insight makes the game harder.

Think of insight not just as currency but as...well, insight. Knowledge. Understanding of how the world really works. Then remember how this game is based on lovecraft, where ignorance of the cosmos is a shield that protects mankind. In gameplay terms. the more insight you have, more unstable you are. I wouldn't worry about that now though. 7 insight is nothing. Now, 60 insight....

9 hours in and at level 30, finally made it to Old Yharnam

Damn, this game is so good. Demons' Souls changed my entire outlook on gaming - I went from not liking hard games to seeking out roguelikes, precision platformers, etc. and embracing challenge - and Bloodborne takes me back to those early days when I was playing DS for the first time. Having to forget my careful combat from Dark Souls to be aggressive and precise, the fear and tension of entering unknown areas, the grotesque wonder of the enemies...

Veelk

Banned
This is a Souls game, so looks can be deceiving...

It also means it has a particular way of tricking you into thinking your choices mean something when they don't. Which is not to say that's whats happening here.

You can look up spoilers, like the guy who posted, but it depends on how you want to play. I got spoiled on it, but I'd rather have gone into it blind, personally. Make the choice you feel is most trustworthy.

Finally tried co-op. As useful as it was in beating a boss, I felt it was probably to my detriment, as I was rushing through the next area along with the others and they were leading me to items and whatnot, so I didn't get to create a mental map of the place through careful slow exploration. I'll probably use co-op sparingly

Deku Tree

Finally tried co-op. As useful as it was in beating a boss, I felt it was probably to my detriment, as I rushing through the next area along with the others and they were leading me to items and whatnot, so I didn't get to create a mental map of the place through careful slow exploration. I'll probably use co-op sparingly

Yeah most people I think use co-op for help with tough bosses. If you co-op a whole area then you definitely rush through it and it is a lot easier and the helper usually knows where all the tough spots are and how to reck them quickly so you lose that sense of tough slow tense exploration.

Veelk

Banned
Finally tried co-op. As useful as it was in beating a boss, I felt it was probably to my detriment, as I was rushing through the next area along with the others and they were leading me to items and whatnot, so I didn't get to create a mental map of the place through careful slow exploration. I'll probably use co-op sparingly

I especially don't recommend summoning for boss fights.

I wasted half my insights thinking I was helping myself against a boss by summoning an NPC to help me out. (btw, insight can be used to rent yourself out an NPC too), but since they gained a good bit of health and my NPC had a tendency to die, I actually ended up beating them within my first few tries solo, just because I was hitting much harder damage.

A partner on a boss will either break them entirely (because they'll be super vulnerable to attacks while distracted) or they'll make them tougher than is sensible (because of the health boost).

I just played DS3. The final boss required a particular summon to finish off her questline, but there was also the option of summoning a third NPC to help. The thing is, the boss got a MASSIVE health boost from 2 NPC's and I couldn't beat him no matter how far we got. I decided to drop the extra and just go in with the 1, his health dropped by like half, and we nailed his ass second try.

Deku Tree

I wasted half my insights thinking I was helping myself against a boss by summoning an NPC to help me out.

Yes summoning the NPCs is usually a horrible idea. The boss gains a big health bump and the NPCs are often of very little help.

One exception to that is Valtr. Valtr is a boss. You will get help if you summon the NPC Valtr. Valtr can survive for a long time against
Ludwig
in the DLC even on higher NG cycles, and he is good to use as a distraction.

If your struggling against a tough boss and your appropriately leveled then you can often find good players to help by summoning though.

I recommend save scumming if you are low on insight and are worried about spending it all. I am on the other hand always trying to figure out what to do with my insight when it gets close to 99.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yes summoning the NPCs is usually a horrible idea. The boss gains a big health bump and the NPCs are often of very little help.

One exception to that is Valtr. Valtr is a boss. You will get help if you summon the NPC Valtr. Valtr can survive for a long time against in the DLC even on higher NG cycles, and he is good to use as a distraction.
He also has the sexiest fucking voice <_< My favourite recent NPC in Soulsborne!
I recommend save scumming if you are low on insight and are worried about spending it all. I am on the other hand always trying to figure out what to do with my insight when it gets close to 99.
Buy a blood rock/chunks?

Son Of D

I am on the other hand always trying to figure out what to do with my insight when it gets close to 99.

When I get a lot of insight I spend it on Fire/Bolt Paper as well as Pellets. I use a few during playthroughs so I'm consistently topping them up. That or buying Chunks/Rocks in case I want to try a new weapon.

Just beat Blood-Starved Beast on my first try. Was not expecting that. The first half of the fight was surprisingly easy if you're good at visceral attacks

Internets

I'm thinking of getting Bloodborne, so it'll be my first playthrough. So, should I get the DLC now, or wait until after I beat the game? Incase it matters, I have played and beat the other Souls games before

Deku Tree

I'm thinking of getting Bloodborne, so it'll be my first playthrough. So, should I get the DLC now, or wait until after I beat the game? Incase it matters, I have played and beat the other Souls games before

Beating the game sends your directly into NG+. And you only have access to the DLC after you progress to a certain point in the game. And the DLC is a lot harder on NG+. So you probably want to play through the DLC before beating the final boss.

Beating the game sends your directly into NG+. And you only have access to the DLC after you progress to a certain point in the game. And the DLC is a lot harder on NG+. So you probably want to play through the DLC before beating the final boss.
Would I know when I beat the final boss?

Aters

Finished the optional castle. The most difficult thing in that area are the spiders and worms outside the castle. I thought this area would be a huge death trap judging from the tough battles outside, nope. Once I got into the castle it became a cakewalk.

Top Bottom