• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

So I just started this yesterday and beat the first two bosses and I'm curious what people prefer from these two - saw cleaver or saw spear?

Deku Tree

So I just started this yesterday and beat the first two bosses and I'm curious what people prefer from these two - saw cleaver or saw spear?

It's a matter of personal preference. Decide which ones moveset you like. All weapons in BB are very viable for the whole game although a few that you haven't encountered yet are just OP. Saw Spear does bonus damage to beasts in both regular and trick form. Cleaver only in trick form.

Unless you have a strenght build or are doing a lvl 4 run where all the extra damage helps, there's no reason to pick Saw Cleaver over Saw Spear. The moveset/range of Saw Spear is just better, plain and simple.

VertPin

Both are viable weapons for the end game, but the Spear has bonus attack damage to beasts in trick and normal form. You should go with the move-set you prefer. I do believe that the Cleaver has higher damage per second, especially when you're mid combo and keep transforming the weapon. The benefit to the Cleaver is also that the weapon transformations are super quick and appear to have some poise behind it.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
The cool thing about this game is that all the weapons are good in the right hands. You'll find that there are a lot of people who say that one weapon or another is "one of the best in the game" and they're often referring to different weapons, because that one just clicks with them best.

Personally I think the Cane is one of the best weapons in the game, but I've heard the same talk about the axe, the saw cleaver, Ludwig's sword, and so on.

Both are viable weapons for the end game, but the Spear has bonus attack damage to beasts in trick and normal form. You should go with the move-set you prefer. I do believe that the Cleaver has higher damage per second, especially when you're mid combo and keep transforming the weapon. The benefit to the Cleaver is also that the weapon transformations are super quick and appear to have some poise behind it.

They have exactly the same speed on both transformation attacks, but yes, Saw Cleaver L1 has more stagger potential (probably to compensate the range).

VertPin

^ Gotchya. It's been a while since I have used the Saw Spear, but I always thought it was a little bit slower to transform. Thank you.

Manu

So earlier today I said "fuck it" to my promise that I'd play other games and give Souls a rest for a while, and started a new Bloodborne character, because I'm a fucking idiot.

zVvRYOb.jpg

My last build was a full dex build which I really enjoyed but since 90% of the DLC weapons are full STR I never got a chance to try most of them, so I'm going full STR this time. I'm currently using the Kirkhammer, which I've never used before, and while the hammer form is slow as fuck I'm doing about 300 damage from a charged R2, which is a lot this early into the game, but I don't really like the moveset outside of that. What are other viable str weps for early game? Other than the saw cleaver and battle axe, I've already done complete runs with them.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
So earlier today I said "fuck it" to my promise that I'd play other games and give Souls a rest for a while, and started a new Bloodborne character, because I'm a fucking idiot.

My last build was a full dex build which I really enjoyed but since 90% of the DLC weapons are full STR I never got a chance to try most of them, so I'm going full STR this time. I'm currently using the Kirkhammer, which I've never used before, and while the hammer form is slow as fuck I'm doing about 300 damage from a charged R2, which is a lot this early into the game, but I don't really like the moveset outside of that. What are other viable str weps for early game? Other than the saw cleaver and battle axe, I've already done complete runs with them.
Maybe Ludwig's Blade or the stake driver thingy?

grmlin

Lol,
after the DS3 platinum I thought I need a rest for a while and play something else.

Here I am, Klerik beast down, Kirkhammer bought, strength build here I come.

And oh my god this game feels so good, it's such a joy to play.

^ Gotchya. It's been a while since I have used the Saw Spear, but I always thought it was a little bit slower to transform. Thank you.

No prob, I checked with the official guide ;)

Saw cleaver. Its first attack (when the weapon is folded on itself) is quicker than others, and I found that to be substantially helpful.

Same speed as Saw Spear. One of the fastest, only loses to BoM, Reiterpallasch and Beast Clawa (this last two only when transformed).

You can get the Whirligig Saw very early in the DLC. Such an awesome weapon :O

I did a Ludwig run already. You mean the Rifle Spear?

This one.

VertPin

The Reiterpallasch needs more love. It was easily one of my favorite weapons from the game, but only one of it's kind really exists. I hope in the sequel that their are more weapons similar to it.

Manu

You can get the Whirligig Saw very early in the DLC. Such an awesome weapon :O

I need to beat Amelia first. I'm currently at BSB.

Speaking of which, do you know what sucks about early game Bloodborne? It's my fourth time playing through the game and I've barely died up to this point, so by the time I reached BSB the vials and bullets I had on me were pretty much all I had. Now I've died a couple times against the boss and don't have any vials or bullets left. Not dying and having to repeat sections actually led me to not farming items so now I don't have enough to retry the boss.

Nice. Will check it out. Thanks!

grmlin

The Reiterpallasch needs more love. It was easily one of my favorite weapons from the game, but only one of it's kind really exists. I hope in the sequel that their are more weapons similar to it.

I loved it, too. Very awesome on a skill build.

Aters

Beat the game. Very pleasant journey. Now I'm gonna finish the DLC before jumping into NG+. I cheesed so much that I don't think I even know how to beat the game properly.

fake edit: Wow I didn't realize I only have two trophies left
the true ending
. This game is a easy platinum. You don't even need multiple playthroughs. Just make a backup savefile before the final boss fight.

Veelk

Banned

This was my main weapon until I found the Rakuyo.

I really like it. It's a SWORD that turns into a GUN.

My only complaint about it it that I wasn't able to fire my left hand gun in sync with it's gun mode. How badass would it have been to John Woo that shit? Total missed opportunity, From, a thousand years of shame on you.

One of the weapons I should have used more on my skill build. Maybe one day.

Speaking of which, do you know what sucks about early game Bloodborne? It's my fourth time playing through the game and I've barely died up to this point, so by the time I reached BSB the vials and bullets I had on me were pretty much all I had. Now I've died a couple times against the boss and don't have any vials or bullets left. Not dying and having to repeat sections actually led me to not farming items so now I don't have enough to retry the boss.

It's most likely faster if you collect blood echoes and buy them instead. I can't remember how much they cost at that point in the game, but farming is really tedious.

Nice. Will check it out. Thanks!

Honestly, I don't think it's a good weapon, but I'm sure it has is fans. At least it's good to make tribute videos to One-punch man :p

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique

My last full playthrough was with it and the hunter siaf and man those weapons were fun. If we get a sequel (I pray every day to Kos or as some say Kosm) that they bring out more guns and more gun alternatives. I really love how the moonlight blade uses quicksilver bullets and really wish the flamsprayer or Fist of Gratia were actually good. The guns are fine, and hunter tools are cool but those are the areas that most need variety in a sequel.

Melchiah

I stopped farming them after the beginning of my first playthrough. It's easier to just buy them with your leftover echoes after levelling up. On the subsequent playthroughs, I've had so many Coldblood items to buy them before BSB, that I never ran out of them.

Manu

I stopped farming them after the beginning of my first playthrough. It's easier to just buy them with your leftover echoes after levelling up. On the subsequent playthroughs, I've had so many Coldblood items to buy them before BSB, that I never ran out of them.

Enemies give so few echoes at this point though.

Melchiah

Enemies give so few echoes at this point though.

That's why it's always better to plan ahead. Running through the first area once should provide you enough echoes to buy a pretty good supply of vials.

You could also just buy the 10K key to the Cathedral Ward gate, get the Black Church set, and go to the Hemwick Charnel Lane before returning to BSB. That's what I've done on all playthroughs, except on NG+ where I already had poison resistant gear.

Manu

Ended up leveling vit up to 20 and stocking up on pungent cocktails. The hammer form of the Kirk actually stuns the BSB, go figure.

Then I went and kicked both the Witch and Amelia's asses.

15027526_10211312852086987_2411425011151360259_n.jpg

Everything's coming up, Milhouse.

Manu

Update: This run has been pretty terrible so far. Shadows of Yharnam took about 5 tries, Rom took about 10 and even One Reborn killed me once. Shameful.

It's this goddamn Kirkhammer. The damage is godlike but it's just SO. DAMN. SLOW. even for normal attacks. And no point in using the sword form since it defeats the whole purpose (I still had to do it at the end of Rom's fight, otherwise I literally did not have enough time to attack and retreat.)

I'm still looking for other options.

SDR-UK

You'll get acclimated to it soon and realise it's the best weapon in the base game. Be sure to use the dash R1 for quicker strikes.

Veelk

Banned
I'm kind of middling on a sequel. I goddamn love bloodborne, but I feel From is more interesting when they are just making flat out new IP's with the Souls formula, and Bloodborne is so close to being perfect that I don't know if I want anything more from it. Like, new content is always nice, but it's just fine as is for me.

Plus, I just really want Cyber Souls

VertPin

Started a new character today. He will be strength focused. I tried to make him look like Guts...it failed lol. Time to waste another 100 hours on this game! I hope to God we see a sequel soon.

Hey! So, I posted a #BloodborneProPatch tweet towards @yosp @fromsoftware_pr @SonyJapanStudio @Bloodborne_PS4 and @YasuhiroKitao. If any of you would like to show support for the game, and really want a Pro patch, consider tweeting at them or perhaps retweeting what I sent? I'll pull it down if it's considered advertising. I'd just really love to see a Pro patch! Currently sitting at 30 retweets and 41 likes. https://twitter.com/arizet0/status/797203103627939841

SDR-UK

Where do I go after the witch of Hemwick?

To the Forbidden Woods would be the natural path after that.

After defeating Amelia, you can interact with the skill which gives you a password to get into a door to access the Forbidden Woods. It's located at the central courtyard area just behind a Church Giant.

glaut

Neo Member
Update: This run has been pretty terrible so far. Shadows of Yharnam took about 5 tries, Rom took about 10 and even One Reborn killed me once. Shameful.

It's this goddamn Kirkhammer. The damage is godlike but it's just SO. DAMN. SLOW. even for normal attacks. And no point in using the sword form since it defeats the whole purpose (I still had to do it at the end of Rom's fight, otherwise I literally did not have enough time to attack and retreat.)

I'm still looking for other options.

Kirkhammer is personally my favorite weapon in the game. It is a lot of fun looking for openings and converting it to big damage as you get used to it. It actually has a pretty robust moveset. Use 1H and the transform attack (L1) to get unique combos for the hammer. Starting in 1H, R1 R1 L1 R1 R1 is strong. It can also stunlock with 1H R1 spam. I personally find the Whirligig effective but much more boring.

To the Forbidden Woods would be the natural path after that.

After defeating Amelia, you can interact with the skill which gives you a password to get into a door to access the Forbidden Woods. It's located at the central courtyard area just behind a Church Giant.

Found it. The place is a fucking maze.

Velikost

Quick question about an early on enemy/area in the game (before the 3rd or 4th boss I think?)

So I haven't played this game in over a year, but a buddy of mine recently started it up, and we're playing it together through co-op. Can anyone tell me when the
tall cloaked dudes that carry a bag
show up? The ones that
take you down into the prison cell?
My friend and I just beat the second boss and are heading into Old Yharnam. I want to know when to tell him to go and fight one of those guys, cause that was one of the coolest surprises for me in the game. Also, I believe it gets triggered when you fight one and die, right? What happens if that happens while we are playing co-op? Do I get to go with him, or do I get sent back to my game? I'm assuming the latter, but I wanna be sure.

Top Bottom