• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Nev

Banned
Hypogean gaol

You have to beat the Blood Starved Beast and they will make their appearance. There's one of them just outside the Cathedral Ward. Go straight ahead from the lamp spawn then turn right and he's there. He has to kill you so the cutscene will trigger.

Velikost

You have to beat the Blood Starved Beast and they will make their appearance. There's one of them just outside the Cathedral Ward. Go straight ahead from the lamp spawn then turn right and he's there. He has to kill you so the cutscene will trigger.

Yeah, that's the one I've been telling him to look out for, just didn't know the BSB part. Thanks

I'm just coming back to this after getting to NG+ a bit after the game dropped. Trying to play through the DLC and I am just getting smoked by Ludwig. This guy is fucking relentless. Then I realized, I probably don't have the stats to wield the Moonlight Sword which is a huge bummer ( I assume is relies heavily on Arcane). I'm around level 127 so I definitely don't think I'm underleveled.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Good god the DLC is hard. I'm fighting hunters like they're fucking boss fights, because that's how much health they have and how much damage they do.

Definitely feeling underdeveloped now. And the blade of mercy is starting to feel really good because it's such a good dueling weapon.

I'm just coming back to this after getting to NG+ a bit after the game dropped. Trying to play through the DLC and I am just getting smoked by Ludwig. This guy is fucking relentless. Then I realized, I probably don't have the stats to wield the Moonlight Sword which is a huge bummer ( I assume is relies heavily on Arcane). I'm around level 127 so I definitely don't think I'm underleveled.

MS can be used as a Str but its transformed form uses Arcane and lots of bullets

ChrisD

Bought the DLC on Thursday. Was too lazy to change discs (I was tired lol), so I never played it. Was busy Friday and most of today. But I popped the disc back in tonight.

I really kind of hate NG+'s scaling. Enemies take a lot to kill, and while yeah, it means actual challenge, it annoys me. Maybe I just had a bad build, I don't know. Nonetheless, I started up a new file entirely so as to experience the DLC (and something like four or five bosses I missed in my first run) without any of said annoyance.

Quit playing at one hour and forty-six minutes in; I'm Level 22, have defeated Cleric and Gascoigne, and have covered all of Central Yharnam available to me at this point in the game. In my first playthrough, I didn't even make it through the plaza until two hours in hahah!

It's amazing how much I know the whole area. It's like the back of my hand. Realized I needed better armor while checking what was in the shop early on, but rather than buying, I just remembered, "Hey, there's that free set by the guy with the Spear, I'll just go grab that." Three minutes and many dead rats (+spear guy) later, I had my armor. I love it. It's just a game, but that I know exactly where to go is just great. Very satisfying.

Got the free Saw Spear from the mummy thing you have to cut a chain to get. I freaking LOVE this thing! Never used it in my first playthrough as that was my Hammer time. It's so so so fast, yet powerful. It's a bit early to call it into the favorites, but... This is in my Top Three, just below the Tin.... Tin something. The Lightning Ball.

Afraid to get to Vicar Amelia for unlocking the DLC ahaha... The first time through she kicked my butt so many times. When I finally managed to kill her it was through a lucky (emphasize that lucky btw) parry that got me loads of damage. I was just R1 spamming, not sure how I got it. Was happy then, but now it's got me scared! My ego, my thinking I'm pretty good at this game now, I just know she's gonna try her hardest to crush it. @-@

norog

Finished my pure Bloodtinge character's full game last night and man it felt great. For me, full game means all chalices and FRC unlock. It still amazes me that you can learn new stuff about the weapons with every build. Simon's Bowblade is amazing, and just destroys Amy/Ebrietas with headshots.

And then there's the chikage. I knew PVPers loved it way back when the game came out but I wasn't enthused because... I don't even know why any more. Last night, I had the Hunter of Hunters rune on while summoning co-op for funsies, and pulled in a couple hostiles... and proceeded to destroy them with form 2. Everything just melts without even the charge move, and I was worried about the health drain at first, but it's really not that bad once you start rolling with it. How did I not realize it was so good before this?!

Is Fextralife still the place to go for interesting chalice glyphs? It's been a while since I paid attention.

So i need some tips on items. I'm the type to hoard and not use items unless it's an emergency.
So what items should I use without worrying too much?
I use pebbles, molotovs, antidotes, coldblood and knives. I don't use anything else. I've never used madmans knowledge(I'm not even sure what insight is), oil urn, neither fire nor bolt paper, bone marrow ash, and pretty much everything else.
I'm currently at Byrgenwerth fighting that stupid hunter. I have more trouble with these guys than the huge monster bosses.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
So i need some tips on items. I'm the type to hoard and not use items unless it's an emergency.
So what items should I use without worrying too much?
I use pebbles, molotovs, antidotes, coldblood and knives. I don't use anything else. I've never used madmans knowledge(I'm not even sure what insight is), oil urn, neither fire nor bolt paper, bone marrow ash, and pretty much everything else.
I'm currently at Byrgenwerth fighting that stupid hunter. I have more trouble with these guys than the huge monster bosses.

That hunter was hard for me too. Kept one shotting me with augur whenever I was close to finishing her.

I think everything you listed is purchasable (if not with blood echoes then with insight).

Veelk

Banned
Is NG+ scaled differently in Bloodborne than other games?

I went through NG+ in DS3 and didn't notice too much of a difference

MS can be used as a Str but its transformed form uses Arcane and lots of bullets

Okay that's encouraging at least. If I ever beat this fool! What a bad-ass looking sword.

I think one thing I'm going to need to do is farm some higher tier gems. I really don't want to but I only have a few decent tempering ones. I'm just not a fan of the chalice dungeons for the most part.

Akuun

Met the first boss of the DLC. Got wrecked pretty badly.

So far this thing seems like a very hard version of
vicar Amelia.
and I already thought that boss was hard.

The charge attack oneshots me and it's freaking fast.

VertPin

For those of you who are in support of a Bloodborne Pro patch, here is an updated list of those to tweet at. Tweet #BloodborneProPatch to @yosp @fromsoftware_pr @bloodborne_ps4 @YasuhiroKitao (SIEJ PR) @SonyJapanStudio @giocorsi (third party relations) and @giwamasa (bloodborne producer at SIEJ)

https://twitter.com/arizet0/status/797905243694477313 Let's get some more traction! Because Bloodborne looks terrible on a 4K TV! :D

(Will remove if a moderator doesn't approve...this game just seriously needs a Pro patch!)

Deku Tree

Well I played through the whole game through 4x on a 4K Samsung with a good upscale this year and it doesn't look horrible. Looks the same as on a 1080p to me.

Would love a Pro patch all the same.

grmlin

For the love of God someone tell me how to beat Rom. I can only get to the second phase.

In it's last phase, the one where Rom unleashes these insane magic attacks, circle right around, take your time, and attack in between the attacks.

Patience is key here.

If you have an arcane focused char, bolt, and stay in his face.

Aters

For the love of God someone tell me how to beat Rom. I can only get to the second phase.

If you summon the NPC for help this boss is a cakewalk. Kill the small spiders first.

I remember when I fought it the NPC somehow interrupted its 3rd phase transformation. I killed it before it got to 3rd phase, not sure if it was a glitch.

Met the first boss of the DLC. Got wrecked pretty badly.

So far this thing seems like a very hard version of
vicar Amelia.
and I already thought that boss was hard.

The charge attack oneshots me and it's freaking fast.
Try dodging left twice as soon he steadies himself for the charge.

Yeah, I can't do this. That ice attack at phase 2 gets me half the time and when I get to phase 3 he always ends up flipping over on me and killing me.
And summoning another hunter doesn't work very well when the AI is just as bad as I am at dodging the ice attack.

Akuun

Try dodging left twice as soon he steadies himself for the charge.
Thanks. I got that part down now. Seeing the next phase more often now, and usually with around 5 vials or less used by then.

Oh got that next phase is so cool, but so very painful.

Somehow found myself using the BoM for this again, mainly because of the speed.

Yeah, I can't do this. That ice attack at phase 2 gets me half the time and when I get to phase 3 he always ends up flipping over on me and killing me.
And summoning another hunter doesn't work very well when the AI is just as bad as I am at dodging the ice attack.

On Second Phase you just have to bait her to use her long range attack by being away from her, kill the spiders then go away , repeat till you killed every spider and stay away for the long range attack, go close and hit her enough to see her close attack and run away do it two more times and will start third phase which is the same as the second but the casting is faster now.

Use bolt paper to do insane damage on phase 1 , remember heavy attacks can cancel her teleport animation giving you extra time to land more hits and just nuke her on phase 2

ChrisD

Cleric Beast, Father Gascoigne, Vicar Amelia, Henryk (putting him here since I missed him in my first go), Blood Starved Beast, and Darkbeast Paarl have all gone down now! Tried the DLC and was taking the hunters out under the assumption that they don't respawn, using more consumables in the process than any bosses have taken... I'll hit that portion of the game later on. Why are those guys normal enemies. =|

Vicar went down at level 30.
I was level 50 the first time I beat her, and it was a huge triumph.
This time it was just a fast, easy fight. Think it went for maybe two minutes? It's nuts, because I don't know what I did differently. Think my weapon wasn't Level 4 in my first run through as it was here, but one level doesn't make that big a difference, I wouldn't think.

Rom actually killed me after I killed her. Can't remember how, but I do remember searching for my Echo pool in the boss chamber. Thankfully the Prey Slaughtered text did come up beforehand, so I didn't need to re-fight.
Bolt Paper was a total life-saver. My attacks needed the extra oomph, otherwise I'd have run out of supplies.

Nev

Banned
Thanks. I got that part down now. Seeing the next phase more often now, and usually with around 5 vials or less used by then.

Oh got that next phase is so cool, but so very painful.

Somehow found myself using the BoM for this again, mainly because of the speed.

Ludwig second phase is harder than the first imo. Once you get the hang of it, his first phase is not that hard. The second one though looks easier at first because he's slower and doesn't jump all around like a crazed horse, but it forces you to keep a consistently flawless dodge timing throughout. In that sense it's very similar to Laurence (the hardest bossfight in the game for me), you can't just dodge randomly or you'll get punished even with an instant dead. You can't even spam O to get back up and dodge away or you'll eat his sword.

It also has actually less downtime than the first phase, it's much harder to take a break and heal. He just doesn't stop attacking. His charged attack is his worst one even though it might seem his best because he can oneshot you. You just have to get behind him while he starts charging, then dodge after you're knocked back and you'll have a lot of free damage once he drops it.

Akuun

Ludwig second phase is harder than the first imo. Once you get the hang of it, his first phase is not that hard. The second one though looks easier at first because he's slower and doesn't jump all around like a crazed horse, but it forces you to keep a consistently flawless dodge timing throughout. In that sense it's very similar to Laurence (the hardest bossfight in the game for me), you can't just dodge randomly or you'll get punished even with an instant dead. You can't even spam O to get back up and dodge away or you'll eat his sword.

It also has actually less downtime than the first phase, it's much harder to take a break and heal. He just doesn't stop attacking. His charged attack is his worst one even though it might seem his best because he can oneshot you. You just have to get behind him while he starts charging, then dodge after you're knocked back and you'll have a lot of free damage once he drops it.
His first phase was very hard for me at first, but I think I kinda get it now. I can usually get to around 60% without using a vial until I start fucking up and getting greedy. The trip from 60% to 50% feels like it takes longer than 100% to 60% lol.

So far, I find the second harder to fight, but possibly easier to learn because he
actually fights like a human and not a beast
(and the contrast is really fucking cool by the way). I can watch his sword and only his sword like a hawk, whereas with his first phase I have to keep track of multiple things to watch his tells. He makes up for it with ridiculous range and damage, though. As you said, it's harder to figure out a safe spot, and it's harder to realize when you're safe to get good hits in. I've been mostly getting one or two quick stabs in with BoM before going back onto the defensive, and really taking advantage of the BoM's speed. I also staggered and visceraled him once on my best attempt, but I have no idea how I did it.

When you say charge attack, do you mean the thing where he pretty much does a super strong version of the beam from Skyward Sword, or the small aoe where he drives his sword into the ground?

By the way, I really appreciate From putting that random guy outside the boss room who drops 5 vials. I would have run out of vials doing boss attempts a long time ago if not for that guy, though I still feel a little conflicted about killing him.

Nev

Banned
When you say charge attack, do you mean the thing where he pretty much does a super strong version of the beam from Skyward Sword, or the small aoe where he drives his sword into the ground?

The first. It can't hit you from behind so it's the best moment to attack him repeteadly. If you're not able to get behind him though, good luck. What you're doing (one, two attacks tops) is the best strategy imo, so keep doing that. You'll get to a point where the first phase only gets like 7-10 vials or less out of your stack.

Akuun

The first. It can't hit you from behind so it's the best moment to attack him repeteadly. If you're not able to get behind him though, good luck. What you're doing (one, two attacks tops) is the best strategy imo, so keep doing that. You'll get to a point where the first phase only gets like 7-10 vials or less out of your stack.
Haha, I've only seen that attack once. I guessed it was a super huge AoE like the one that Allant does in Demon's Souls, and backed off. I ate the beam while sidestepping when I actually realized what it was lol.

Will definitely try to get behind him next time I see it, though.

Haha, I've only seen that attack once. I guessed it was a super huge AoE like the one that Allant does in Demon's Souls, and backed off. I ate the beam while sidestepping when I actually realized what it was lol.

Will definitely try to get behind him next time I see it, though.

He does the AoE to charge his sword, if you see his sword glowing then he is gonna do the laser one after using that attack the sword stops glowing so he have to charge it again with the AoE.

You can interrupt his charging animation but is pretty hard and dangerous and requires like all your stamina

Finally beat Rom.
Now I have no idea where to go.

Also, I've been wearing this yahargul black set for a really long time and nothing I've found has been better. Where can I find something better to wear?
I unlocked the crow set, but it has less defense than what I have.

Finally beat Rom.
Now I have no idea where to go.

Also, I've been wearing this yahargul black set for a really long time and nothing I've found has been better. Where can I find something better to wear?
I unlocked the crow set, but it has less defense than what I have.

Yahargul set is the best for phys defense but lacks elemental defense , certain bosses like rom does arcane damage mostly so you can switch sets according to your playstyle, Crow set for example have decent phys and blood defense and moderate defense to other phys damage plus elemental damage which the yahargul set doesnt have.

I personally use the the Chorus set for arcane defense and the DLC Harrowed armor set for a moderate defense on everything plus phys defense.

I am prettu sure after beating rom you will get teleported to the next area, you can also unlock a nightmare area on the same room you get teleported if you have a certain item (and an unique dialogue from a NPC) you can get by knocking random doors after beating Amelia.

Just found out where I needed to go. I also bought the crow set and the blades of mercy. How are they? I love dual daggers in pretty much any game.

BoM are amazing, for even faster hit and retreat combat style and quick burst of damage. BoM lacks noticeable heavy attack but compensates that with fast pokes and obligatory use of the side attacks and counter attacks to always stun enemies and sometimes even bosses.

The weapon requires a lot of Skill stat (S scale on skill) and good time of training and patience to make it work because you have to stay pretty close to the enemies and a single mistake like wasting all your stamina on pokes can kill you

Yahargul set is the best for phys defense but lacks elemental defense , certain bosses like rom does arcane damage mostly so you can switch sets according to your playstyle, Crow set for example have decent phys and blood defense and moderate defense to other phys damage plus elemental damage which the yahargul set doesnt have.

I personally use the the Chorus set for arcane defense and the DLC Harrowed armor set for a moderate defense on everything plus phys defense.

I am prettu sure after beating rom you will get teleported to the next area, you can also unlock a nightmare area on the same room you get teleported if you have a certain item (and an unique dialogue from a NPC) you can get by knocking random doors after beating Amelia

Just found out where I needed to go. I also bought the crow set and the blades of mercy. How are they? I love dual daggers in pretty much any game.

Akuun

I'm using the blades of mercy right now. They're my fast, close range weapon while I use the cane for medium to long range.

I really love how the BoM looks and feels, but I never made it really work until I hit the DLC.

But after spending time with them, I really like how they are extremely fast and have surprisingly good range and hitboxes. Your character steps forward during the dodge R1 animation, so you can do quick punishes pretty easily. Transformed R2 hits on both sides of you, so that's a good option too. Transformed L2 is a backstep slash, which is good for getting damage while getting away. If you can stagger an opponent, transformed R1 spam can build up to very high DPS if you have enough time to do it.

People say that the untransformed version is useless, but I disagree. It's a very fast short sword when untransformed, which retains its dodge > R1 usefulness, plus it has a fast charged R2, which means you can stagger and backstab some slower attacks if you position yourself right.

The main weaknesses are in its range IMO. Damage-wise it doesn't do that much damage per hit, but the speed lets you sneak in hits more often to make up for it.

I also think it has some of the best animations in the game because the magnetic transform and untransform animations look so damn cool.

Aters

Skill weapons are just so good. BoM, Hunter Spear, Burial Blade, Rakuyo, Cane, Reiterpallasch. Most of the weapons I like are skill weapons.

Veelk

Banned
Skill weapons are just so good. BoM, Hunter Spear, Burial Blade, Rakuyo, Cane, Reiterpallasch. Most of the weapons I like are skill weapons.

After playing DS3 with a strength build (using the Greatsword and later on the Profaned Greatsword) and using a magic build on Demon's Souls, I don't think I'm ever going to stray from a Dex/Skill build again. Large weapons are just too damn slow and not even worth their power, while magic is just boooooooooring.

And I don't think the other Souls games weapons are ever going to be as just plain fun as bloodborne's arsenal. Transforming weapons is just.....well brilliant. It gives you unprecedented versatility. It's just so much better that even when I play DS1 and 2 and use dex builds, I don't think I'm going to enjoy them nearly as much as I'd enjoy a playthrough with an equivalent weapon in BB.

As a creative weapons enthusiast, Bloodborne delighted me like few other games.

Nev

Banned
Do the chalice dungeons contain any exclusive weapons or armor?
I'm already around level 80. Are they worth doing?

There is one exclusive weapon (beast claw), exclusive normal enemies and exclusive bosses. The best blood gems in the game are only lootable in chalice dungeons, and you can also farm blood stone chunks from bosses and plenty of insight.

In my opinion they're very worth doing because I love the game and the concept of randomly generated dungeons in a Souls game is super attractive to me. Most people don't like them though. I'd say go for it if you're enjoying the game, at least complete the ones that are hand made by From (the non-root dungeons, root are random).

You'll miss part of the experience if not, and if you don't complete the easy ones now, it'll be boring to snooze through them later to get to the difficult ones with the good loot.

There is one exclusive weapon (beast claw), exclusive normal enemies and exclusive bosses. The best blood gems in the game are only lootable in chalice dungeons, and you can also farm blood stone chunks from bosses and plenty of insight.

In my opinion they're very worth doing because I love the game and the concept of randomly generated dungeons in a Souls game is super attractive to me. Most people don't like them though. I'd say go for it if you're enjoying the game, at least complete the ones that are hand made by From (the non-root dungeons, root are random).

You'll miss part of the experience if not, and if you don't complete the easy ones now, it'll be boring to snooze through them later to get to the difficult ones with the good loot.

I need blood stone chunks bad. Cool thanks.

Melchiah

Do the chalice dungeons contain any exclusive weapons or armor?
I'm already around level 80. Are they worth doing?

There's also two attire sets, Bone Ash and Madman. The former is one of the best looking sets in the game, in my opinion. Both can be found in the early and easier chalice dungeons.

Ferr986

Also, if you're anal about mix maxing Chalices have the same regular weapons with different gem slots. Some gems sets are better than others, although it's not a crazy difference (unless you're an insane person and farm for Out of shape Blood gems for your Chikage....)

Akuun

I need to go try some Chalice dungeons too. I ignore them for the most part because it's pretty much Bloodborne with shitty level design (which is WAY more boring than it sounds), but I'm really hurting for good gems.

I like skill weapons too, and was stoked when I got the burial blade, but I can't seem to make it work well. As far as I can tell, the cane has the burial blade beat in both speed and range.

I like how the burial blade's moveset seems so varied, but it seems oddly short ranged for such an odd weapon. Am I just using it wrong?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I've mown down quite a few bosses on my first ever try, but died 4 times to Rom before killing it (with zero blood vials left even!), so that was fun. On a lark I bought Ludwig's Holy Blade and am LOVING it; I now have it upgraded to +8.

I hit a major stumbling block, however: the hunter Crow dude you fight in the Grand Cathedral, for that Eileen lady. Holy fucking hell, easily the hardest thing I've fought! I tried for an hour to kill him last night before finally giving up and moving on in the game, I'm in the Yahargal town with the corpse wagon things and bell-ringing women now.

I'm hoping I can go back and try him again later when I'm leveled up some, but if he despawns I'll just save that for another playthrough I guess.

Akuun

Always keep an eye on Rom at all times so that you can tell what she's about to cast.
Ice rain thing = you can either dash in a diagonal left to avoid it or time your rolls to the three ice things landing.
Point blank AoE burst = get away.
Rolls on back = Crystals from the floor = get away.

Rom is an exercise in patience (and tedium?). Kill the spiders one by one and then go after her. Repeat.

I hit a major stumbling block, however: the hunter Crow dude you fight in the Grand Cathedral, for that Eileen lady. Holy fucking hell, easily the hardest thing I've fought! I tried for an hour to kill him last night before finally giving up and moving on in the game, I'm in the Yahargal town with the corpse wagon things and bell-ringing women now.
I hear that guy is one of the hardest enemies in the game. I never fougth him myself because I screwed up my Eileen questline :(

Hoping to see him either in NG+ or on a separate playthrough.

So picked this up with the PSN sale.. First time playing any of the games. This game is very oddly satisfying.

Like I have even beat any boss yet.. Getting crushed and replaying and getting better. I'll get frustrated and walk away but want to keep playing to get that extra progression in the game.

Basically I've cleared most of central.. When i get home I'm going to be going for the bosses.

Any tips in general for the game?

Akuun

So picked this up with the PSN sale.. First time playing any of the games. This game is very oddly satisfying.

Like I have even beat any boss yet.. Getting crushed and replaying and getting better. I'll get frustrated and walk away but want to keep playing to get that extra progression in the game.

Basically I've cleared most of central.. When i get home I'm going to be going for the bosses.

You're doing it right. Be patient, try not to get frustrated at the deaths, and just try to learn from your experiences. Don't get greedy and try to go for fast kills, even if you are winning. Fights can go south for you very, very quickly in this game.

All weapons are viable. Pick one that you like and learn it well, but don't be afraid to experiment with other ones.

Pressing the dodge button while you're knocked down makes you get up and roll away. It's faster than just waiting to get up.

Weapons that transform into a two-handed form (which means you can't use your gun or left-hand weapon) have an extra move if you press L2.

Besides the normal R1/R2 attacks, all weapons have different attack animations after a roll, after a dodge step when locked on, after a back step, and when running. They also have transform attacks if you do dodge > L1. Some weapons can swap pretty seamlessly from one form to the other.

Your gun is primarily a defensive tool rather than an offensive one. Shooting most smaller enemies immediately before their attack lands can stagger them, leaving them vulnerable to a very strong attack called a visceral attack. You'll hear a very distinct and deep "boooom" sound if you do it right. If this happens, get in front of them and press R1 to land a visceral attack. You'll know it when you see it.

You can backstab some enemies with a charged (held down) R2 attack, if you position it right. This is usually hard to do, as the enemy has to either be very slow or if you snuck up on them. But if you land it, you get the same "boom" sound and your enemy will collapse. If this happens, rress R1 from behind them to land a visceral.

The pistol has a faster recovery after the shot, which means if you get a stagger with it, you can dash forward and land a visceral, or you can sometimes dodge away if you miss. The shotgun doesn't have the recovery time for this, but the spread means that it has a better chance of at least making the target flinch even if you don't quite land the stagger.

If you get hit, you should pretty much never try to mash R1 to try to get a hit in, even if your enemy is one hit from death. Chances are, your opponent will hit you out of your windup and kill you eventually if you try to mash your way out.

I think the obvious one is that you should always level up vitality first if you want to make the game easier. Blood vials scale with that stat, so the more you have, the more you can heal.

Explore the zones thoroughly, you can find a lot of good gear and "shards" to make your weapons stronger. You can find one of the best attires in the game even before the first boss.

You don't need to fight every single enemy, if you don't like the situation, just run until you find the next lamp. You can then spend your blood echoes and later explore whatever zone you miss.

Top Bottom