• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

So picked this up with the PSN sale.. First time playing any of the games. This game is very oddly satisfying.

Like I have even beat any boss yet.. Getting crushed and replaying and getting better. I'll get frustrated and walk away but want to keep playing to get that extra progression in the game.

Basically I've cleared most of central.. When i get home I'm going to be going for the bosses.

Any tips in general for the game?

Sure

1.- Use the blood echoes for leveling every chance you can, there is no point of save them for later since you will ger better echoes in later areas.

2.- Starting clases dont matter so much on your first run so choose the one you like and level up the stats necessary for the weapons you like

3.- Try every weapon you find, starter and mid weapons have little specific stats from each other so you can try them then invest points on them. Later weapons have specific stats you can hardly redirect the rest of the point on them so be careful since there is no re spec in this game.

4,. You can upgrade your weapons, in your exploration you can find gems which can be put on your weapon each weapon have three slots with different socket where you can put said gems, all weapons starts with one socket so you have to upgrade them via blood chunks, rocks etc You will be able to fully upgrade like 4 weapons to +9 and 1 weapon to +10 via normal questing so be careful to not upgrade several weapons at once and ran out of upgrade materials

5.- You Hunter can get upgrades, later on after doing H
enwick Channel
you can unlock the ability to use runes on your hunter, these runes have pasives abilities on your hunter like more stamina regen, more hp, more blood exhoes , more resistances to certain elements, etc you can equip 3 normal runes and an extra rune from certain covenants you can found in the game.

6.- Knock every door (and windows) you can find in game, NPCs hide in their houses during the hunting night, some of them can no longer be found after passing Rom so be sure to meet everyone

7.- The fountain vendor updates everytime you progress the game , you unlock the insight vendor after you get a certain amout of Insight

8.- The more insight you get, the stronger the enemies will be, if you manage to get around 35 or more insight Yharman will change abruptly , be careful

So Ludwig...what the hell?
Dude is no joke.
Any tips?

Dont die.

Attack his sides, each side have its own HP when you deplete said HP he gets stunned so try to rotate your damage in each side for more opening attacks,

Ludwig is weak to fire and serration attacks

Second phase is easier since He is slower and lose most of his mobilitybut you have to keep an eye on his sword everytime

Melchiah

So picked this up with the PSN sale.. First time playing any of the games. This game is very oddly satisfying.

Like I have even beat any boss yet.. Getting crushed and replaying and getting better. I'll get frustrated and walk away but want to keep playing to get that extra progression in the game.

Basically I've cleared most of central.. When i get home I'm going to be going for the bosses.

Any tips in general for the game?

To prevent the frustration, that's been mentioned before...

• Use extra Blood Echoes and Coldblood Dew to buy Blood Vials for the future. You'll be needing them. You might also buy some Quicksilver Bullets and Molotovs. The latter are useful against the early bosses.
  • Search the areas for shortcuts and items, they'll make the progress easier.
  • You can find enough Blood Stone Shards in the first area to raise your weapon level twice before the first boss. The weapon's level is more important than your character's level at that point.
  • You can find Madman's Knowledge in the first area, that enables you to level up your character before encountering the first boss.
  • You can find/buy Hunter gear, that has better defence stats.
  • If you have hard time beating the 3rd boss, venture elsewhere. There's no need to bang your head to the wall.
  • Learn to parry. It makes some bosses and bigger foes much easier. You can practise it with the hulking enemies that carry a stone.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I took down The One Reborn on my first try, wasn't too rough at all, but wow what an introduction cut scene! Love it!

Decided to go to Cainhurst and love the Dracula's Castle atmosphere, but I hit a brick wall called Martyr Logarius, failed 6 times in a row last night before giving up in frustration. His move set isn't that complex, but he just hits like a truck. I think my failures are mostly chalked up to lack of patience, and not having good parry timings (I'm using the Ludwig gun, may need to swap for this fight).

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
So Ludwig...what the hell?
Dude is no joke.
Any tips?
Seriously. I'm fighting him for the first time in NG+ and getting wrecked, though I'm making progress.

Treat the first phase like a faster, more aggressive Ameila who does more damage. Be reluctant to heal unless after a successful dodge. Learn his tells and how to dodge/punish them. Don't get greedy. I'm favoring a fast, short ranged weapon over slower, long ranged weapons because of how fast he is.

I find that his right flank is usually a safe spot to dodge to for a lot of his attacks, so you can dodge diagonal left to punish a lot of his stuff. Sometimes he flails or does stupid ass hitbox shit though, so sometimes it's better to just dodge out and wait for a more punishable attack.

His prancing flail thing goes prance > prance > left hand swipe, so stay out of range for the two flails, then dodge forward right to punish.

He does a horse kick whenever if you get behind him, so don't do that. Or get one quick stab and then dodge away immediately.

Second phase? I'll let you know when I beat him lol.

I took down The One Reborn on my first try, wasn't too rough at all, but wow what an introduction cut scene! Love it!

Decided to go to Cainhurst and love the Dracula's Castle atmosphere, but I hit a brick wall called Martyr Logarius, failed 6 times in a row last night before giving up in frustration. His move set isn't that complex, but he just hits like a truck. I think my failures are mostly chalked up to lack of patience, and not having good parry timings (I'm using the Ludwig gun, may need to swap for this fight).

When you learn his parry timing, it's the best moment in the game.

Manu

When you learn his parry timing, it's the best moment in the game.

SUfGzAJ.gif

Yes sir.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
8.- The more insight you get, the stronger the enemies will be, if you manage to get around 35 or more insight Yharman will change abruptly , be careful

Just got the game too.

Regarding this,
does this change the moon/sun? I just killed Father Gaisisoeksosnd and have about 8 insight. I went back to central Yharnam and the sun is higher and its brighter out.

Foxxsoxx

So I jumped back in for my NG+ playthrough after not playing since release. Get to the nightmare frontier and immediately get invaded. Dude is practically invisible teleporting all over the place and I'm wondering why the entire fight I hit him and he takes no damage. He eventually kills me because I get tired of even attempting to play whack a mole with this dude.

Turns out the guy was from Saudi Arabia which explained the horrible ping. He then called me a 'noob' very proudly as he is clearly the Bloodborne master.

I forgot how much I love this game but I can't help but laugh at the people that take PVP in this seriously, but I guess I'm just a 'noob' xD (what is this 2007?).

On another note, the soundtrack is God-tier and I want a sequel more than ever. From make it happen.

Foxxsoxx

Just got the game too.

Regarding this,
does this change the moon/sun? I just killed Father Gaisisoeksosnd and have about 8 insight. I went back to central Yharnam and the sun is higher and its brighter out.

What I'd give to re-experience this game with fresh eyes for the first time...

Have fun and enjoy the chaos, you'll notice some of the insight changes as the game continues. Some you really have to look out for though.

Well, I'm almost done. I think I have one more optional boss and the last boss left. So once I beat the last boss it'll just throw me into ng+?
I can't do anything about it? Would backing up my save to a USB drive work or is progress stored online? I want to keep a save right before the last boss.

Akuun

Got Ludwig to probably under 10% last night. I think I get the second phase now. Probably a few tries to go and I should have it.

Well, I'm almost done. I think I have one more optional boss and the last boss left. So once I beat the last boss it'll just throw me into ng+?
I can't do anything about it? Would backing up my save to a USB drive work or is progress stored online? I want to keep a save right before the last boss.
You're probably right about the last optional boss. The game hints at it very strongly.

You'll
be given a choice. Accepting will skip the optional boss and punt you straight into NG+. Rejecting the choice will trigger the optional boss fight. After that optional boss fight, you'll get punted straight into NG+ UNLESS you fulfilled a number of conditions throughout the game, in which case an additional boss appears and fights you. I think the game ends after you beat that boss - I've never fought that additional guy.

I don't know about backing up the save file, though.

Got the platinum trophy last week, such an amazing game. It's definitely my favorite game this generation so far.

It's been way past two days though so I guess I have to bug Sony about that platinum theme.

Just got the game too.

Regarding this,

Every time you kill a story boss time passes representing the Night Hunting, NPCs start to move and certain enemies left and others appear,

when you defeat the Cathedral boss all NPCs are up so you better find then all, if you want

taybul

Got Ludwig to probably under 10% last night. I think I get the second phase now. Probably a few tries to go and I should have it.

I miss learning Ludwig. He is definitely one of my favorite fights in any game ever. After a brutal first half you're met with another challenge, palms still sweaty, thinking "shit, this isn't over yet?". Getting the timing of his blade swings in the second half are really a matter of life/death. Once you have that down, you can dance around him on the way to victory. Also, you can stagger him and go for a visceral if you hit his front part enough.

Finished. Only things I didn't do was the end dungeon boss and get all the weapons and tools. I just don't find the chalice dungeons fun.

Great game. I consider Rom's difficulty to be a blemish on the game, but everything else was great. Too difficult and a really boring boss fight that one.
Loved Cainhurst castle, extremely Castlevania-like. The game in general is basically Castlevania to me.
I also liked that you could completely skip it. I know I would have if I hadn't looked it up. An awesome part of the game and it's pretty well hidden, to me anyways. Just very cool.
In general the game has a ton of secrets and optional things. I messed up a lot by killing everyone i saw. I was just so used to everything and everyone attacking me that I just attacked without thinking. I'm sure I missed out on missions and gear by doing that. Oh well.

And I know most will disagree with me because the game is pretty well balanced as far as being above average difficulty compared to most current games, but I think taking less damage would make the game better. Not by a lot, like 10-15% less or so. Just to give the average gamer some space to screw up a few more times.

So how is Dark Souls 2 and 3? This was my first From game, so now I'm curious about the others. I've heard it's more defense based, but that's about it.

Finished. Only things I didn't do was the end dungeon boss and get all the weapons and tools. I just don't find the chalice dungeons fun.

Great game. I consider Rom's difficulty to be a blemish on the game, but everything else was great. Too difficult and a really boring boss fight that one.
Loved Cainhurst castle, extremely Castlevania-like. The game in general is basically Castlevania to me.
I also liked that you could completely skip it. I know I would have if I hadn't looked it up. An awesome part of the game and it's pretty well hidden, to me anyways. Just very cool.
In general the game has a ton of secrets and optional things. I messed up a lot by killing everyone i saw. I was just so used to everything and everyone attacking me that I just attacked without thinking. I'm sure I missed out on missions and gear by doing that. Oh well.

And I know most will disagree with me because the game is pretty well balanced as far as being above average difficulty compared to most current games, but I think taking less damage would make the game better. Not by a lot, like 10-15% less or so. Just to give the average gamer some space to screw up a few more times.

So how is Dark Souls 2 and 3? This was my first From game, so now I'm curious about the others. I've heard it's more defense based, but that's about it.

First of all, did you do the DLC? if not you better play it before leaving BB.

Most of the Souls games are fun trying to get everything on the second run in BB you have to.

1.-
Save all the survivors except one
1a.- Beat the survivors Sidequest
2.- Beat Paarl
after you get kidnapped
3 .- Befriend Djura
4.- Do Eileen the crow sidequest
5.- Do Alfred Sidequest
6.- Meet
Iosefka before Rom
7.- Unlock and finish Isz Chalice
8.- Find all Umbilical chords
9.- Find all nightmare zones
10.- Find the old
workshop
11.- Enter in comunion with the Coprse on the Upper cathedral ward and discover the secret on
mensis nightmare
12.- Find Ebrietas
13.- See the other endings

And no, Souls games are not defense based but slow paced, you have more liberties to customize your Undead but more restrictions to play depending of the playstyle you want to use.

Akuun

I miss learning Ludwig. He is definitely one of my favorite fights in any game ever. After a brutal first half you're met with another challenge, palms still sweaty, thinking "shit, this isn't over yet?". Getting the timing of his blade swings in the second half are really a matter of life/death. Once you have that down, you can dance around him on the way to victory. Also, you can stagger him and go for a visceral if you hit his front part enough.
Yup, I've noticed the visceral thing. I put a visceral damage rune back on because of it. Sadly, you can't backstab him with a charged R2 lol.

I'm taking him on in NG+ because I'm using the first character I played this game with, so each phase feels like any other boss' full health bar (I'm probably underleveled and my gems aren't great). At this point, he's probably the hardest boss I've fought in any Souls game except for maybe Manus at SL1. Manus SL1 took me like 8 hours to clear, and I feel like I'm coming up on around 6+ hours on Ludwig at this point.

Ludwig gives me the same feeling I had in that SL1 run, where I did very little damage while having to stare death in the face when dodging most attacks. Ludwig's his first phase has one or two attacks that will combo me to death if I'm in a bad spot, and it feels like HALF of his combos in his second form will do the same. Plus his second form has some ridiculously huge hitboxes. I really, really have to play consistently or else it's all over with one or two bad dodges.

It's frustrating, but it's fun to see the progress and hopefully the eventual clear.

I love how Bloodborne is like 70% optional content. You never really realize that so much of what you did is optional until you start looking at speedruns. There's so much that you can just miss entirely. I missed Upper Cathedral Ward, for example.

As for Souls games, I haven't gotten much into 3, but Souls games in general are slower and generally more deliberate than Bloodborne's style. While Bloodborne is very focused on a shieldess, dodge based melee style, you can use a shield-based, armored style in Souls games, and magic too. The combat gives more build variety in that way but you have to be more deliberate in the way you play because of the slower speed. Otherwise it does feel very similar, though DS2's combat is generally less polished than Bloodborne's, with the tradeoff of allowing greater experimentation in build and playstyle. I went through Dark Souls 2 with a guy who wielded a halberd in one hand and a rapier in the other. I have no idea why I ended up playing that way but it somehow worked.

Oh this game.. (laughs madly) this mother of a game.. I love it. But god it makes the blood boil. When shit goes south it goes south fast.

I killed Cleric on the first try.. But god damn Father G is a mean mofo. Tried probably about ten times to get him.

Gaahhhhhhhh

Try again tomorrow

Akuun

Oh god the
hunters
after Ludwig. They hit as hard as him but they're fast as any hunter...

dafuk

Neff

Is it my imagination or did they make Rom harder? I don't remember her babies being able to 1-hit kill me with 25 Vit, and that was without damage reduction runes, which I'm using now. After finishing the game several times before I ever had anywhere near as much trouble as this.

Akuun

Is it my imagination or did they make Rom harder? I don't remember her babies being able to 1-hit kill me with 25 Vit, and that was without damage reduction runes, which I'm using now. After finishing the game several times before I ever had anywhere near as much trouble as this.

The big jumping headbutt always did tons of damage.

Or maybe you got counterhit instead of just plain hit. Counterhits make everything look like they hurt more than they do.

Neff

The big jumping headbutt always did tons of damage.

Or maybe you got counterhit instead of just plain hit. Counterhits make everything look like they hurt more than they do.

Yeah I managed to get her in the end without too much trouble, probably just remembering it being easier than it actually is and being impatient.

Aters

Oh god the
hunters
after Ludwig. They hit as hard as him but they're fast as any hunter...

dafuk

Only fight one of them at a time. Retreat to the tunnel and usually only one will follow. Then you can have her any way you want. I think I pretty much cheesed her to death with BoM R1 spam.

Edit: oh you already got them.

Akuun

Only fight one of them at a time. Retreat to the tunnel and usually only one will follow. Then you can have her any way you want. I think I pretty much cheesed her to death with BoM R1 spam.

Edit: oh you already got them.
Nope. I got there and managed to separate them, but promptly got twoshotted by the guy using Ludwig's sword lol.

Jinaar

Haven't touched the new Dark Souls III DLC yet but had the desire to play Bloodborne again. When I 100% achievement games, it has this weird psychological effect on me where I feel I am not getting any reward at replaying games. Thankfully, I set out to create my own reward, that being to see what sort of murder I can create with the Whirligig!

I've never used it really yet, so I rushed to obliterate Amelia and dive right into the Nightmare. Thankfully, after a few deaths, I was able to get to the second lamp post and get to the Whirligig in pretty great time. Also picking up 2 Blood Chunks did wonders for the leveling up process of the Saw.

This damn weapon of death has a great move set! From the Forward Jump R2 attack to the Running R2 attack to just play old L2, you can figure out the best moves for each enemy type and I can continue to dance to and from each enemy, with little to no down time. Feels good man.

Was able to finish off the Witch/Shadows/Rom soon there after with the Pizza Cutter.

This truly is the game of the forever. It's like playing in a painting. And with the Sony Gold Headset with the custom Bloodborne audio mode, all the evil sounds are so well amplified into my skull at all the right/wrong times.

Game is life.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
He drops his badge when he dies so you should quit and reload the game so they spawn next to you.

Thanks for the advice but I already did that.

Also, Henriett has to be the worst NPC summon in a souls game for me so far. Her pathing is so bad. She's stuck down a ramp and can't get her way back up, she gets stuck in walls, she aggros npcs that aren't really close to me. I can't get her to come up the path.

Melchiah

This truly is the game of the forever. It's like playing in a painting. And with the Sony Gold Headset with the custom Bloodborne audio mode, all the evil sounds are so well amplified into my skull at all the right/wrong times.

Game is life.

I still have the PS3 headset, which works perfectly fine, but that alone makes me tempted to buy the Gold one.

Akuun

If you get one of them to follow you into the tunnel, you can sometimes get them stuck behind the open gate that leads down to the NPC in the locked room.
Thanks. It might be easier to fight him in that tunnel.

This guy was really hard for me, but the environment helped me out finally. Still counts...
https://youtu.be/bUW_8cU-hFs
Definitely still counts. Probably even intentional.

I honestly don't know of anyone who actually fought him legit instead of knocking him off. He's so freaking strong if you fight him straight up, and it's so easy for one of you to fall off eventually.

I honestly don't know of anyone who actually fought him legit instead of knocking him off. He's so freaking strong if you fight him straight up, and it's so easy for one of you to fall off eventually.

Djura can be hard if you skip the cathedral and H
enwick
, the close space helps him a lot since he doesnt suicided on his own attacks and can actually Vis you if you are careless with your attacks

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
So, I leveled up about 15 more levels, and in that time got pretty decent I guess, cause I went back and owned Logarius lol. I'm now up to where I can fight the last boss if I want, but I'm tackling the DLC first. Not finding it too hard so far, took out Ludwig and the Living Failures on my first tries. The Research Lab area is awesome, I love how you have to raise the floors and such to move forward. Currenly level 89 and using a +9 Whirlygig Saw/+10 Tonitrus combo.

So, I leveled up about 15 more levels, and in that time got pretty decent I guess, cause I went back and owned Logarius lol. I'm now up to where I can fight the last boss if I want, but I'm tackling the DLC first. Not finding it too hard so far, took out Ludwig and the Living Failures on my first tries. The Research Lab area is awesome, I love how you have to raise the floors and such to move forward. Currenly level 89 and using a +9 Whirlygig Saw/+10 Tonitrus combo.

The pizza cutter beats everything.

Nev

Banned
When I 100% achievement games, it has this weird psychological effect on me where I feel I am not getting any reward at replaying games. Thankfully, I set out to create my own reward, that being to see what sort of murder I can create with the Whirligig!

I'm the same and I'm sadly running out of "own rewards" as I've already completed the shit out of everything. I'm leaving the last 3 NG+ for when I want to be done with it forever. I've played hundreds of chalice dungeons and beaten the game 4 times, upgraded 70% of the weapons to +9/+10 and just got everything. The only way I could interact further with this fucking masterpiece of a creation is rubbing my **** against the case. I don't rule it out tbh.

Game is life.

Truth.

Djura can be hard if you skip the cathedral and H
enwick
, the close space helps him a lot since he doesnt suicided on his own attacks and can actually Vis you if you are careless with your attacks

I remember being humilliated by him during my first playthrough. Fast forward to NG4 I wreck him in under 30 secs. I remember him being strong asf though when I was a newbie tho.

Melchiah

I remember being humilliated by him during my first playthrough. Fast forward to NG4 I wreck him in under 30 secs. I remember him being strong asf though when I was a newbie tho.

The first time he fell from the tower, but on NG+ I managed to beat him. He has an interesting dialogue, when you approach him from the back entrance of Old Yharnam. Here's a video of it: https://youtu.be/4Rb2dbC8XzA

Splinter

I'm playing Bloodborne without any of the patches, not even day 1 patch. Can someone give me an idea of what I'm missing or how it compares to the fully patched game? Would I even notice a difference?

Akuun

I'm playing Bloodborne without any of the patches, not even day 1 patch. Can someone give me an idea of what I'm missing or how it compares to the fully patched game? Would I even notice a difference?

Main thing is that the load times will be much longer between levels.

And no item descriptions during load screens.

Top Bottom