• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

myco666

Some other really good reasons to patch the game.

- Vials and Bullets can be stored up to 600 instead of 99
- Rare upgrade material made cheaper to buy
- Rarest upgrade material made purchaseable

Aters

Lady Mario is a tough boss. She's move has a strange rhythm. The first attack is blazing fast, but the follow up moves are always slower than you think they should be. I always dodge or parry too quick.Took me about fifteen tries to get a hang of it. But once you do, you cannot lose again because you can parry all the way through. Thank God the lamp is right in front of her.

Veelk

Banned
Lady Mario is a tough boss. She's move has a strange rhythm. The first attack is blazing fast, but the follow up moves are always slower than you think they should be. I always dodge or parry too quick.Took me about fifteen tries to get a hang of it. But once you do, you cannot lose again because you can parry all the way through. Thank God the lamp is right in front of her.

I actually try not to parry her too often just because it makes the fight seem a bit unfair. I try to save it to the end as a finishing move.

It wouldn't be a problem if she didn't have such a small health bar. I wish this game was on PC so I could buff her health a little bit. I know NG+ also exists, but that also buffs her attack power, and I'd rather just up her health.

ChrisD

I think I'm just about done with my "do everything I missed in my first run" playthrough.

Brain of Mensis' room gave me the jeebies. I'm claustrophobic, so that was as frightening as High Cathedral Ward which also gave me the creeps. I Youtube'd it just so I could see someone else do it first lol.

I think I'm just about done with my "do everything I missed in my first run" playthrough.

Brain of Mensis' room gave me the jeebies. I'm claustrophobic, so that was as frightening as High Cathedral Ward which also gave me the creeps. I Youtube'd it just so I could see someone else do it first lol.

Did you perform the pose in front of it?

Aters

You know what's most frustrating about this game? You beat a boss and then see someone else beat it fist only, no armor on NG+7. I need to stop watching other people play this game.

ChrisD

Did you perform the pose in front of it?

Yeah. I feel kind of like I cheated in reading so much off of Wikis and stuff, but I really wanted to experience everything (sans chalice stuff, not a fan) this time. I'd have never thought of doing... A lot of stuff I've done to experience content. :|

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Well, I've 100%'d the DLC. What a ride! Amazing stuff, easily the best DLC I've ever played. I hate it that I'm so behind the curve on all things "SoulsBorne", this game series has turned into my 2nd fav of all time, behind the Elder Scrolls.

I beat Orphan of Kos on my 2nd try. He was actually more scary than hard. Damn at his screams and jumps/overall movements! My heart was pounding so much by the time I finished him off.

For shits and giggles, I uploaded my fight: https://youtu.be/ROT7zrdltyc

Working on the Chalice dungeons now, to get the remaining trophies before the final battle.

Yeah. I feel kind of like I cheated in reading so much off of Wikis and stuff, but I really wanted to experience everything (sans chalice stuff, not a fan) this time. I'd have never thought of doing... A lot of stuff I've done to experience content. :|

I missed the pose too on my three runs.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Lady Maria was such an awesome boss holy shit
I got to her today, and I just wanted to chime in on the raving.

The fight just looks so fucking cool. I love these human-sized vs human-sized bosses, and her weapon and fighting style just takes the cake in how awesome it looks. The arena was awesome too. I used the BoM against her, so it was a really awesome looking dual wielder vs dual wielder fight.

I can't remember the last time I had so much sheer fun fighting a souls boss. I mean, after a while I saw her doing transform attacks, thought "that looks so cool!", and started trying to incorporate transform attacks into my counters too. Not because I thought it would work well because I'm not all that familiar with them, but purely because I thought it would be fun to do so. It was a dumb idea, but I didn't care because it was just so much fun to fight against her.

Well, I've 100%'d the DLC. What a ride! Amazing stuff, easily the best DLC I've ever played. I hate it that I'm so behind the curve on all things "SoulsBorne", this game series has turned into my 2nd fav of all time, behind the Elder Scrolls.

I beat Orphan of Kos on my 2nd try. He was actually more scary than hard. Damn at his screams and jumps/overall movements! My heart was pounding so much by the time I finished him off.

For shits and giggles, I uploaded my fight: https://youtu.be/ROT7zrdltyc

Working on the Chalice dungeons now, to get the remaining trophies before the final battle.

I think Kos has one of my favorite arenas in the game. Every fight I've seen with him has a section where the player and boss just have a crazy back and forth in the endless expanse of water, it's great.

Akuun

Congrats! I'm working on orphan now too. Getting my ass kicked but I think I can get it in my next sitting. He just has so much health that I have to be more consistent. I keep making little mistakes or get a little too greedy.

And I didn't even know you could go out onto the water until I saw the video lol.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Well, I finally beat Ludwig (NG+). Good grief, his behavior from fight to fight can vary greatly. When I beat him he became surprisingly docile and I pinned him against a wall and beat the living crap out of him.

Akuun

I like that you didn't kill the shadow. I didn't either. I try not to kill nonhostile enemies in the game, barring a few exceptions. In such a cruel world, you need to show kindness where you can.
You can kill him!? I was wondering if he was interactable at all.

You don't see it in the video but I was mashing X trying to talk to him lol.

But you're right in that I usually try not to kill nonhostile enemies.

I'm looking up what happens next in the DLC, since I heard that Orphan of Kos is the last story boss of the DLC. The wiki says
to kill the shadow to slay the nightmare?
What happens if I do that?

Veelk

Banned

If it lives, you can make it so it doesn't. I mean, I don't know if that shadow thing is 'alive', but...you know what I mean. You can kill everything you see.

The only nonhostile enemies I killed were the beggar who I found eating a family including a child, so he was obviously no good and Master Willem because fuck that bastard. Oh, and the brain of mensis but it was asking for it. I think.

Akuun

If it lives, you can make it so it doesn't. I mean, I don't know if that shadow thing is 'alive', but...you know what I mean. You can kill everything you see.

The only nonhostile enemies I killed were the beggar who I found eating a family including a child, so he was obviously no good and Master Willem because fuck that bastard. Oh, and the brain of mensis but it was asking for it. I think.
I think I know the beggar you're talking about. You
made the right call in that case because if he's the guy I'm thinking of, he's a beast in disguise who murders the NPCs in the church if you tell him to go there.

Edit: I've been thinking about it a lot and reading some lore theories, and now I'm not sure if sparing the shadow is a good thing or not. Is there a lore thread somewhere I can look at? Searching doesn't seem to find one.

Aters

I'm looking up what happens next in the DLC, since I heard that Orphan of Kos is the last story boss of the DLC. The wiki says
to kill the shadow to slay the nightmare?
What happens if I do that?

You will get a cut-scene and basically "finish the DLC".

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I think I know the beggar you're talking about. You
made the right call in that case because if he's the guy I'm thinking of, he's a beast in disguise who murders the NPCs in the church if you tell him to go there.

Edit: I've been thinking about it a lot and reading some lore theories, and now I'm not sure if sparing the shadow is a good thing or not. Is there a lore thread somewhere I can look at? Searching doesn't seem to find one.

Its implied killing the shadow doesnt end the hunters curse

"A bottomless curse, a bottomless sea
Accepting of all that there is and can be"

Anyone up for co-op in the Chalice dungeons? Im fucking stuck in Lower Pthumeru layer 2, cant seem to beat the boss. I really want to move forward so I can grind for gems at some point.

Akuun

Its implied killing the shadow doesnt end the hunters curse

"A bottomless curse, a bottomless sea
Accepting of all that there is and can be"
I suppose killing the shadow is a moral decision that's also based on your own interpretation of the story, then. I'm leaning towards killing it now.

Massive speculation ahead.

From what I've gathered, the Hunter's Nightmare is
a sort of curse or hell for hunters where they are forced to suffer the hunt and their own sins over and over for eternity, and was caused by the Byrgenwerth hunters doing something horrible at the Fishing Hamlet long ago, probably when they discovered the carcass of Kos that washed up there.

Simon asked you to stop the nightmare because he says hunters have suffered enough and that they shouldn't need to bear the sins of their forefathers. So he wants you to kill the shadow and end the nightmare.

Maria and that big bloody mace hunter who keeps invading you in the Fishing Hamlet seemed to want to keep you away from Kos' carcass, even though they are hunters themselves. So even though they're trapped in the Hunter's Nightmare, they want to stop you from ending it? Maybe they think they deserve this?

I think it was someone at the fishing hamlet who asked for "mercy for the poor child", by which I'm assuming it means the Orphan of Kos. But does that mean sparing the shadow or killing the shadow? It seemed to be suffering when you fought it, so it's possible that killing the shadow may be a mercy.

But then the point you just made said that the curse may be unending anyway, so killing or sparing the shadow may ultimately not change much.

I also noticed that killing OoK made the doll say that something has eased Gehrman's suffering, but she said this even though I spared the shadow?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I have started to play Bloodborne yesterday and I really like it but I still have to groove in the game and I died a lot of times.

Now I have the problem that my weapon is broken and I have not the items requiered ro repair it... And I really wouldnt not want to restart the game since I already farmed a lot of stuff and opened shortcuts.

Is there a way to solve this problem? :/

Ferr986

I have started to play Bloodborne yesterday and I really like it but I still have to groove in the game and I died a lot of times.

Now I have the problem that my weapon is broken and I have not the items requiered ro repair it... And I really wouldnt not want to restart the game since I already farmed a lot of stuff and opened shortcuts.

Is there a way to solve this problem? :/

You can repair weapons at the workshop, inside the house in the Hunter's Dream (the hub). It only cost some blood echoes (the exp you get for killing monsters).

The workshop also let's you upgrade your weapons, and attach them blood gems for better stats.

I suppose killing the shadow is a moral decision that's also based on your own interpretation of the story, then. I'm leaning towards killing it now.

Massive speculation ahead.

From what I've gathered, the Hunter's Nightmare is
a sort of curse or hell for hunters where they are forced to suffer the hunt and their own sins over and over for eternity, and was caused by the Byrgenwerth hunters doing something horrible at the Fishing Hamlet long ago, probably when they discovered the carcass of Kos that washed up there.

Simon asked you to stop the nightmare because he says hunters have suffered enough and that they shouldn't need to bear the sins of their forefathers. So he wants you to kill the shadow and end the nightmare.

Maria and that big bloody mace hunter who keeps invading you in the Fishing Hamlet seemed to want to keep you away from Kos' carcass, even though they are hunters themselves. So even though they're trapped in the Hunter's Nightmare, they want to stop you from ending it? Maybe they think they deserve this?

I think it was someone at the fishing hamlet who asked for "mercy for the poor child", by which I'm assuming it means the Orphan of Kos. But does that mean sparing the shadow or killing the shadow? It seemed to be suffering when you fought it, so it's possible that killing the shadow may be a mercy.

But then the point you just made said that the curse may be unending anyway, so killing or sparing the shadow may ultimately not change much.

I also noticed that killing OoK made the doll say that something has eased Gehrman's suffering, but she said this even though I spared the shadow?

imo
you're basically freeing the Orphan when you hit the ghostly figure. After all, the voiceover says how the Orphan was returned to the sea (where Kos and other Great ones comes).

The dream will keep existing, because the dreams are some kind of alternate dimensions/weird shit, but it's clear that something changes, considering the broken sun dissapears once you "free" the Orphan.

Maria is hidding the Hamlet because of guilt. She just want to protect them because they were slaughtered by the hunters in the real world. Maria was a hunter, but not anymore, she was disgusted when she discovered the truth the Healing Church was doing (the experiment at the Research area), and killed herself.

Pretty much the same happens with that Gerhman message after killing the Orphan, he was one of those hunters, so he's probably gulty of what they did.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
You can repair weapons at the workshop, inside the house in the Hunter's Dream (the hub). It only cost some blood echoes (the exp you get for killing monsters).

The workshop also let's you upgrade your weapons, and attach them blood gems for better stats.
I see, the Echoes is also the stuff I spend to level up and buy items? The I should be fine, will check that later in the game.

Was really worried :D Thank you.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Well, folks, I did it! Just platinumed Bloodborne! Whew, what a ride! Easily one of my favorite games of all time. I wasn't new to Souls games, having beat all of them, a few of them multiple times, but this was my first run through BB and it still had a learning curve.

By far the hardest fights in the game were the later Chalice dungeons, the worst being that Defiled half-health bullshit! The Pthumerian Descendant was rough in the final one, but I beat both the Bloodletting Beast and the Queen on my first tries. The Descendant, though, took me a while, easily 10+ tries.

I saved Gehrman and the Moon Presence for last, and boy were they a cakewalk comparatively. Just mowed them down like it wasn't anything.

Here are some videos I uploaded, mainly for my own memories.

Pthumerian Descendant
Bloodletting Beast
Yharnam, Pthumerian Queen (yes, had two NPCs with me, was assuming I'd die and have to restart solo...)
Gehrman & the Moon Presence

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I about easily 20-30 times now and I see not the smallest light against the clerical beast... I am not annoyed but it kinda sucks :D
Oh, I died to the general mobs often 'cause I got sloppy. But I never died to Cleric Beast in all of my playthroughs, so I can't comment on how hard/easy he is for a non-Souls-vet. I hear a lot of people struggled though.

Just... dodge more, wait for openings, don't get too greedy but don't be too passive too. Heal up as necessary, you should have plenty of vials.

Aters

I about easily 20-30 times now and I see not the smallest light against the clerical beast... I am not annoyed but it kinda sucks :D

To make you feel better, I died more than that before even reaching the first boss. I even broke my weapon. Then I started a new character and got familiar with the game mechanics. I think I beat the first boss in my first try. I was a newbie to the series too.

Splinter

So what actually happens when endurance runs out? My character can still roll and dodge, and his attacks seem to be landing. I can't tell if the damage is reduced by the enemy is usually near death when my endurance does hit zero. I'm level 32 with 15 END. Should I level up up by a certain ratio to my other stats?

Akuun

How many times dying is normal for the first level if you never played a Souls before?
My first game was Dark Souls 1, and I spent like 4-6 hours trying to reach and beat the first non-tutorial boss because I kept dying in the area that led up to him. But I think that might be on the low end.

So what actually happens when endurance runs out? My character can still roll and dodge, and his attacks seem to be landing. I can't tell if the damage is reduced by the enemy is usually near death when my endurance does hit zero. I'm level 32 with 15 END. Should I level up up by a certain ratio to my other stats?
If your endurance is completely out, you won't be able to attack or dodge. As long as you have a little bit of endurance you can do both, but it would drain the rest of your bar and you wouldn't be able to do anything after that. Endurance regenerates immediately though, so there's only a brief moment when you can do nothing.

I don't know about ratio but the important stats are vit (health), endurance (stamina bar), then either strength or skill (which is the equivalent of dex in this game). Arcane and bloodtinge are less straightforward to use than the ones I listed.

Most weapons have a certain stat requirement to wield, and most weapons give you bonus damage based on certain stats that you have. For example, fast and small weapons usually benefit from skill and big strong weapons usually benefit from strength, or a mix of the two.

ChrisD

Ludwig's transformation into second-phase, with that starting position and that music had me feeling like I just started up a lightsaber duel with some god.

Took me more tries than I'd like, but it was still <12. Took about an hour. I'm just on NG though, so... Pretty bad. :|

Edit: I spent four hours in my first sitting with this game just trying to get to the bridge. I died sooooo many times to townsfolk. It was an achievement to get to the brute. Cleric Beast pretty much one-shot me when I finally, FINALLY reached him... And I didn't open up the shortcut, or ever think of running past enemies to do so.

It got so much better once it all clicked. :D

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I think I am going to level until I have enough health, strength and agility. I already have a good path how to farm enough blood to do some shit.

And then I will try the beast again and summon the other hunter that lurks around the area. I checked a guide and maybe go this route.

Reading guides feels like cheating and lessens the experince a bit for me but I think its necessary

Ferr986

First, don't lock-on. Like seriously, just fight him unlocked and control the camera manually.

You can spam shoot his head till he staggers (head has it's own lock area) and do a visceral attack, only once though. Another part he gets stagged is his big arm.

He's also weak to fire, so throw him your firebombs. After all is a matter to learn his patters. And really, don't lock.

Started a new playthrough, I think for the first time since the DLC came out and I noticed they added a load of NPC summons for main game bosses. I noticed 2 for Rom and Forbidden Woods boss (it's been so long I forgot what they're called!) - Not sure if there were summons before, but it seemed like I saw summon signs I'd never seen before. Seems like overkill tbh, no one can say there isn't an easy mode in this game if you want it.

I used the NPC summons in the DLC to help clear out everything up to Ludwig at a pretty low level and picked up the few extra loot chunks which is nice for low level runs, gives another option of somewhere to go earlier and get your weapon upgraded a little higher than usual. This is probably my only gripe with BB, how linear it is - if the game was as open at the start as DeS and DS1 is, I'd probably have no hesitation in saying this is my favourite Soulsborne game.

Top Bottom