• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Can I miss quests?

Yes, but think of "quests" as only personal NPC-level things. If you miss talking to an NPC you may miss the ability to talk to them again later, or you miss items or gestures that they might otherwise give to you.

You won't permanently miss big things like entire levels or bosses because you missed talking to someone at a certain point in time. Those aren't really missable.

I think it's best to not look at guides on your first playthrough or at least greatly limit how much you do look at because you'll probably lose a lot of the mystery/exploration aspect of the game. I missed out a bunch of stuff on my first playthrough because I didn't know it existed, but I'm okay with playing it again.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Fuck Laurence in NG+. I cannot take him down. I had him within one shot and his lava trail staggers me 10 times in a row and I cannot do anything.

This is is one of From's worst bosses. It's bad enough he's a palette swap, but the cheapness he exhibits is uncharacteristic of From.

He's essentially tainted the entire DLC for me.

Akuun

I know how you feel about the chalice dungeons. It's what a Souls game would be like if they fired all the level designers.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Keep at it. It'll feel great when it finally goes down!
Its just annoying what you have to do inbetween.
Dying on the beast. Somehow loosing the Molotow Cocktails. Needing to farm for Bloodechoes when you running low. Dying from minions. Start over.
I expected it to be hard but not that hard. I invested now three evenings and while I get used to the ordinary enemies, they really could have been a bit fairer when it comes to the bosses.

I dont even bother about the other hunter.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Dying on the beast. Somehow loosing the Molotow Cocktails. Needing to farm for Bloodechoes when you running low. Dying from minions. Start over.
I expected it to be hard but not that hard. I invested now three evenings and while I get used to the ordinary enemies, they really could have been a bit fairer when it comes to the bosses.

Did you get the shortcut?

Akuun

The vials are dumb, I agree. I don't know why the game decided to take a step back from the Estus system in Dark Souls. I find the big guys that fight with bricks usually drop vials at that point in the game.

I wouldn't sweat the molotovs too much if you run out. You can beat the boss without them.

There is a shortcut in the game that greatly shortens the run between the lamp and the cleric beast.

Fuck Laurence in NG+. I cannot take him down. I had him within one shot and his lava trail staggers me 10 times in a row and I cannot do anything.

This is is one of From's worst bosses. It's bad enough he's a palette swap, but the cheapness he exhibits is uncharacteristic of From.

He's essentially tainted the entire DLC for me.
Try staying away from him and attack right after his big swipe

rulerk1

I think I might be done with the CD. Is becoming a chore and the bosses I'm gonna have to fight from Loran on don't seem very fun (fuck All Beast bosses)

Melchiah

First, don't lock-on. Like seriously, just fight him unlocked and control the camera manually.

You can spam shoot his head till he staggers (head has it's own lock area) and do a visceral attack, only once though. Another part he gets stagged is his big arm.

He's also weak to fire, so throw him your firebombs. After all is a matter to learn his patters. And really, don't lock.

I've beaten him three times with lock-on, so that's never been an issue to me, unlike getting stuck into the scenery.

To my understanding you can shoot his head with the pistol, and get a visceral attack, but I've never played with that firearm myself. Molotovs help a lot on the first time.

Aters

Slayed the Beast!

No idea what I did different this time lol

Do you have PS+? If so you can just make a back up save and upload to the cloud. Don't need to worry about farming blood vials anymore. If you don't have PS+ you can back up save file using your own flash-drive.

I wanted the DLC on the disc, so I bought the complete edition with the Old Hunters DLC, called Game of the Year edition, exclusive to PAL region, knowing it would play on my PS4, when I would decide to get one.

Well, I recently ordered a PS4, and I was talking with my brother how we should play bloodborne together. I bought him the NTSC version on sale at best buy awhile back.

Now I'm concerned we may not be able to play together, online.

What do you think?

Here's a question and answer from the Bloodborne Game of the Year edition amazon page:

Question: Can I play online with players who own the US version of this game?
Answer: No, but you do get access to new additional NPC summons to help with some boss fights
By Jared P. on September 16, 2016

I'm not ready to believe that, though.

You can play coop online with different regions of the game but you have to set the search via worldwide and with password to have a chance

Akuun

Got the Rakuyo and beat the optional DLC boss. The Rakuyo doesn't look as cool as the BoM and it's a bit slower, but it seems have more versatility.

I think that means I'm pretty much done the DLC except for a few more loose ends, like getting a few weapons. I think I missed a few things in the research hall.

Got the Rakuyo and beat the optional DLC boss. The Rakuyo doesn't look as cool as the BoM and it's a bit slower, but it seems have more versatility.

I think that means I'm pretty much done the DLC except for a few more loose ends, like getting a few weapons. I think I missed a few things in the research hall.
There is a sidequest and a hidden área there

I keep wondering why I can't buy antidote so I had to look it up and of course I haven't killed the Cleric Beast. I always forget to kill this boss and by the time I remember he goes down in 3 hits!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just stumbled onto this interesting video about little visual details in the game, which includes many things I've missed during the three playthroughs.

Spoilers a plenty obviously.

https://youtu.be/sH2-texH34o
That's cool. I noticed most of these (Cainhurst/Hemwick, Byrgenwerth from Forbidden Woods), the falling snail/seashell creature from Fishing Hamlet into the nightmare, the friendly crow, the messengers in Chalice Dungeons, etc. but Old Yharnam/Church of the Good Chalice from Central Yharnam, the fallen Amygdala, and the hidden wolf under the bed thing, definitely surprised me. That's awesome.

Also holy shit, the black metal guys in the CDs using those "clubs" are actually wielding a... body?! I never noticed!

I guess they got these creature faces as an invader, so that the enemies wouldn't be hostile to them and he could look at them in detail?

Not entirely convinced the female hunter in the DLC is
Vicar Amelia
though. It's not unthinkable that different people would use the same prayer. I'd need more evidence.

That "gritty" overlay thing is annoying as fuck though, ruins the image and adds little atmosphere. I'm glad they said they won't use it in future videos. Also, many typos to be found sadly.

But regardless, cool video. Thanks for sharing.

Edit: it recommended another vid from the same uploader that's essentially just a HUD-less montage of Bloodborne set to a Dimmu Borgir song. Heh, it works pretty well actually! (Spoilers galore here too)

A far as I know all the church white and black robe nuns uses the same pray so I dont think is Amelia, amelia in fact uses a specific armor set.

Just stumbled onto this interesting video about little visual details in the game, which includes many things I've missed during the three playthroughs.

Spoilers a plenty obviously.

https://youtu.be/sH2-texH34o

EDIT 19 mins, need a coffe for that

EDIT2: I guess the guy in the video dont play open world games so much

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Just got a PS4 Pro and can finally play Bloodborne!

Which version of the game do most people recommend? Standard or GOTY? The GOTY edition is more expensive than the base game + DLC.

Ferr986

Which version of the game do most people recommend? Standard or GOTY? The GOTY edition is more expensive than the base game + DLC.

Goty is just standard+DLC so whatever its cheaper I guess. (Unlesd you want to avoid the download).

A far as I know all the church white and black robe nuns uses the same pray so I dont think is Amelia, amelia in fact uses a specific armor set.

Also, if Amelia got trapped in the Nightmare Dream she shouldn't be in the real world, or atleast dead, right?

I mean, everyone living in the dream is dead in the real world or just absent. I don't think the same person can be simultaneous living in both places.

zeomax

The vials are dumb, I agree. I don't know why the game decided to take a step back from the Estus system in Dark Souls.

Because there are, most of the the time, only 1 bonfire/lantern per location. So you need somehow to refill your heal potions without dying or resetting the hole map.
I liked the vial system way more than the Estus system in Dark Souls. Never had to farm for vials, i bought them from the leftovers Echos after level up.

cj_iwakura

Finally got in. Sheesh, I know it would be an uphill climb for a Souls vet, but damn. How do you two hand a weapon? And is co op automatic once you ring the bell? Still lost in Central Yharnam, but I'll figure it out. Hopefully.

myco666

Which ever is cheaper. I would recommend buying the game first and see if you even like it and buy the DLC later if you like the game.

Finally got in. Sheesh, I know it would be an uphill climb for a Souls vet, but damn. How do you two hand a weapon? And is co op automatic once you ring the bell? Still lost in Central Yharnam, but I'll figure it out. Hopefully.

No two handing weapons here. You can change forms with L1 which will put the weapons in 2H mode if they have one.

Akuun

Some weapons have a two-handed mode when transformed, but if you're still using the weapon with one hand even after it's been transformed, there's no two-hand mode for that weapon.

Made a huge mistake by taking a 6+ months break before diving into The Old Hunters. I feel like I'm too rusty to even handle it right now and I've beaten the entire main game and all Chalice Dungeons before.

Getting my ass handed to me so hard that it's just turning utterly tedious for me which hasn't happened to me at all in this game thus far. After fighting the million+ giant bloodsucker guys
in the river of blood
yesterday only to get completely mowed down
in the dark by that hunter asshole in the cave
made me rage quit like I rarely have. I mean gimme a fucking break...

The location recycling isn't really helping matters for me right now, someone tell me to hang in there and there'll be great new locations (without spoilers)?

The location recycling isn't really helping matters for me right now, someone tell me to hang in there and there'll be great new locations (without spoilers)?
The guy in the tunnel is annoying as hell, happily progress is in the opposite direction!

I think you see the worst of the DLC upfront - I agree landing straight in a recycled area is an anti-climax even if it makes sense in-game. The rest of the DLC is great, unique areas and the bosses are EPIC!

myco666

I wish they would've patched in a hunter's dream/last lamp used option in the homeward bone a la DS3.

That would be great. Also I don't think this game has infinite use BHM? That is something I would also like to have.

Made a huge mistake by taking a 6+ months break before diving into The Old Hunters. I feel like I'm too rusty to even handle it right now and I've beaten the entire main game and all Chalice Dungeons before.

Getting my ass handed to me so hard that it's just turning utterly tedious for me which hasn't happened to me at all in this game thus far. After fighting the million+ giant bloodsucker guys
in the river of blood

Oh it gets better. Like crazy better. Areas are great although maybe little bit undercooked but the bosses make up for it. You definitely should just stick with it.

The guy in the tunnel is annoying as hell, happily progress is in the opposite direction!

I think you see the worst of the DLC upfront - I agree landing straight in a recycled area is an anti-climax even if it makes sense in-game. The rest of the DLC is great, unique areas and the bosses are EPIC!

That would be great. Also I don't think this game has infinite use BHM? That is something I would also like to have.

Oh it gets better. Like crazy better. Areas are great although maybe little bit undercooked but the bosses make up for it. You definitely should just stick with it.

I mean who am I kidding, it's not like I'm going to NOT keep playing it but yeah, the immediate location recycling of a location I've literally probably seen the most of in the entire game is pretty lame...

Another question, are the two DLC exclusive weapons you get pretty much right up front worth upgrading at this point? I do like the sword-whip business. Sorry I can't ever remember actual item names. How about the rifle you can purchase with your new pre-Powder Kegs badge?

EDIT: I also have to add that I think I'm extra sensitive to the recycling thing after having played Dark Souls III in the interim and that also being recycle-central to the point of me having put it down for now.

What armour set?

Amelia have an unique robes , dont wear gloves and pants (she doesnt use shoes) also use an unique hair style , the npc you meet on the Nightmare have the complete default white church set no hair and less pale,

Saying this FROM soft can say the NPC is a playable "Amelia" using assets from NPCs so you could fight her since Amelia could be an unique model not being used in combat.

Also, if Amelia got trapped in the Nightmare Dream she shouldn't be in the real world, or atleast dead, right?

I mean, everyone living in the dream is dead in the real world or just absent. I don't think the same person can be simultaneous living in both places.

Exactly, not everyone is dead on the Nightmare the main force residing on the Hunters Nightmare are the Old hunters, most of the Healing church force and wild hunters who went there unconsciously

myco666

I mean who am I kidding, it's not like I'm going to NOT keep playing it but yeah, the immediate location recycling of a location I've literally probably seen the most of in the entire game is pretty lame...

Another question, are the two DLC exclusive weapons you get pretty much right up front worth upgrading at this point? I do like the sword-whip business. Sorry I can't ever remember actual item names. How about the rifle you can purchase with your new pre-Powder Kegs badge?

EDIT: I also have to add that I think I'm extra sensitive to the recycling thing after having played Dark Souls III in the interim and that also being recycle-central to the point of me having put it down for now.

While Beast Cutter is pretty great (the new whip weapon) I wouldn't upgrade it yet because there are bunch of other cool new weapons and the upgrade materials are pretty rare. Can't really say anything about the Rifle.

While Beast Cutter is pretty great (the new whip weapon) I wouldn't upgrade it yet because there are bunch of other cool new weapons and the upgrade materials are pretty rare. Can't really say anything about the Rifle.

Agree, Beast cutter is just the asnwer for STR players to use a whip without using Skill, but the weapon itself is slow and leaves you defenseless against big mobs or fast enemy which in this game are like 90% of the enemies

Akuun

I'll chime in with the other guys who suggest going in the other direction. Much more interesting stuff there!. I took the same route as you and similarly got boned by the gatling gun guy. I was like "okay wow that guy is way too fucking strong for me" and went in the other direction.

I'm not too bothered by the recycling of the area because it looks and feels different enough, and appropriately feels like a nightmarish version of an existing world. It'll probably help to know that the other DLC areas are entirely new, though.

As for the weapons, I don't know about the sword whip thing or the rifle, but you will run into a bunch of new weapons in relatively quick succession, so you can hold off on upgrading for a bit since you'll find more new weapons soon.

Agree, Beast cutter is just the asnwer for STR players to use a whip without using Skill, but the weapon itself is slow and leaves you defenseless against big mobs or fast enemy which in this game are like 90% of the enemies

I think I just want to use it as payback for that asshole hunter that has skewered me with it about 20 times by now...

I do like look of that fiery hammer but the moveset doesn't seem very different from the axe I'm already using as main weapon so eh. Will listen to you guys and wait a bit in the end.

Thanks for the tips. Will give the gatlin gun dick another few shots tonight to see what goes down.

Manu

NG+ finished on my latest character. Did the entirety of NG with the Kirkhammer and NG+ with the Whirligig Saw. Killed every boss each time.

Clocked out at 25 hours. I'm satisfied.

See you next time Bloodborne.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Try staying away from him and attack right after his big swipe

It's his final form that is the most problematic. And his ocean of HP.

in the river of blood

I was in a similar situation. Here are my thoughts:

1. New weapons are amazing.
2. Fishing Hamlet is the coolest area in the game; the rest kind of stink.
3. Ludwig and Orphan of Kos are incredible bosses; the rest aren't that great...and Laurence in NG+ is a dealkiller for me.

It's a decent addition to the game, but the difficulty is no joke. Those hunters are ridiculous.

So I tried the gatling gun tunnel guy several more times and realized he can fucking heal...I'm out. Heading the other way next time I play, absolutely get crushed by this jerk every time. Can't see his moves due to the darkness so I can't reliably parry him and without that the fight is a complete joke HP wise.

Akuun

So I tried the gatling gun tunnel guy several more times and realized he can fucking heal...I'm out. Heading the other way next time I play, absolutely get crushed by this jerk every time. Can't see his moves due to the darkness so I can't reliably parry him and without that the fight is a complete joke HP wise.
I only went back and fought that guy after clearing all the main bosses in the DLC. He is indeed a pain in the ass because of the light. I spent a lot of time trying to stay close to him with the belt lamp thing on because of it, and only backed off for stamina or when he had his gatling gun going. I'm pretty sure I half-cheesed him with a lot of stunlock.

I only went back and fought that guy after clearing all the main bosses in the DLC. He is indeed a pain in the ass because of the light. I spent a lot of time trying to stay close to him with the belt lamp thing on because of it, and only backed off for stamina or when he had his gatling gun going. I'm pretty sure I half-cheesed him with a lot of stunlock.

Forgot about the belt lamp...hmmm. If I can actually see what he's doing, I might be able to parry his ass because he's fast as hell against my axe on top of it. Usually if he lands even one solid hit, he ends up comboing me to death.

I haven't faced him yet on my current playthrough, but iirc I usually lure him outside until his leash point and poison him and then dash in and out getting attacks in. Numbing mist helps. Dealing with the human enemies in this game is one of my least favourite parts tbh, like the one in Amelia's boss room, I just find them annoying and usually avoid them unless there's loot I want.

Top Bottom