• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

You can also spam your gun and the recoil will push him out of the roof.

Do you mean Djura? We were talking about the hunter in the DLC in the blood river cave/tunnel with the gatling gun.
I should've quoted, but I didn't know I'd be top of the page (I hate that!)

Oh, you can spam your gun and the recoil wont let him use his weapon, just go close to him and poke him to death

Forgot about the belt lamp...hmmm. If I can actually see what he's doing, I might be able to parry his ass because he's fast as hell against my axe on top of it. Usually if he lands even one solid hit, he ends up comboing me to death.

Just walk around the big rock in the cave while he's shooting his gun and attack him when you get a chance. This makes him a lot easier IMO.

If you think he's bad, wait until you walk a few more steps in the cave. :eek:

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Just started this game for the first time. Ended up playing for about three hours straight. Was 3am by the time I looked up at the clock. I've played three other Souls games so I'm getting used to some of this game's nuances, like Visceral Attacks. Couple questions:

1) Is there any way to upgrade the pistols? Do I even need to if I intend to use them only for parrying? SHOULD I use them for any other reason?

2) Any combat tips I should be aware of with tricking? I'm using the saw cleaver I think (forgot), and am not entirely sure when I should be switching between short or long handle. Seems like I output lots more damage quickly with the shortened quick attack.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Just started this game for the first time. Ended up playing for about three hours straight. Was 3am by the time I looked up at the clock. I've played three other Souls games so I'm getting used to some of this game's nuances, like Visceral Attacks. Couple questions:

1) Is there any way to upgrade the pistols? Do I even need to if I intend to use them only for parrying? SHOULD I use them for any other reason?

2) Any combat tips I should be aware of with tricking? I'm using the saw cleaver I think (forgot), and am not entirely sure when I should be switching between short or long handle. Seems like I output lots more damage quickly with the shortened quick attack.
1) Yes, guns can be upgraded, and some guns can do decent damage if you build toward gun damage (bloodtinge stat). It'll probably never be your main source of damage, but IIRC you can bring it to useful levels, especially if you're using it for PvP. Some guns aren't worth upgrading though, especially if you don't use a bloodtinge build.

2) Switching forms of trick weapons usually gives you some sort of tradeoff between speed, range, or damage output. For example, the shortened saw cleaver may be faster or possibly better for high DPS, but its longer form has better range.

Some weapons also give different damage types depending on its form, which do bonus damage against certain enemies. For example, I think one of the forms of the saw cleaver deals serrated damage, which does bonus damage to beasts, but the other form does not.

Don't forget the transform attacks, which are sometimes extremely useful for certain weapons. And on an unrelated note, trick weapons that transform into a two-handed weapon have an extra move if you press L2, since you can no longer use a gun in that form.

Akuun

Thanks, but I must ask what exactly are transform attacks?
Transform attacks are when you press L1 (transform) immediately after a dodge, or immediately after an attack. When you do this, instead of just transforming your weapon, you'll do an attack and also transform your weapon at the same time. These attacks are different from your normal R1/R2/etc attacks, so they can be treated like additional moves in your moveset.

Akuun

To put it simply, hitting L1 during, or at the end of, a combo. Don't recall if every weapon has one but I believe so?
I think every weapon has one for switching in, and one for switching out.

The point at which your weapon transforms during the move varies from weapon to weapon, though.

The saw cleavers transform is great, MrOogieBoogie. Try to work it in to your attack strings it will soon become second nature. Tagging it on the end of a simple R1 combo is great for getting a bit of extra damage (can mean the difference between an enemy dying in 3 hits instead of 4 etc) it also is great at crowd control if you're attacking an enemy with others coming towards you since the arc is wider than the R1. It has push back and often staggers enemies giving you a beat to regain stamina or whatever.

Transform attacks also build your beasthood meter quicker than regular R1 attacks, which is one of those mechanics in these games that From put in that can go under the radar but really work in your favour if you use them. Popping a beast blood pellet and going ham on a boss is a lot of fun!

MrOogieBoogie

This series, man.

Had a huge adrenaline rush fighting Father Gascoigne for the first time. Had no clue the fight was coming up, then BAM, this guy is charging at me, so I just sorta winged it. Somehow, miraculously, I defeated him without taking any damage. I was able to parry nearly every one of his attacks, in both human and beast forms.

I find myself using the gun to parry/riposte every type of enemy. It's so fun and rewarding.

I think every weapon has one for switching in, and one for switching out.

The point at which your weapon transforms during the move varies from weapon to weapon, though.

Skill weapons by far are the best for transform combos, chikage, and rakuyo are the best for said combos. Kirk Hammer combos stagger everything infront and Boom hammer literally melts everything

This series, man.

Had a huge adrenaline rush fighting Father Gascoigne for the first time. Had no clue the fight was coming up, then BAM, this guy is charging at me, so I just sorta winged it. Somehow, miraculously, I defeated him without taking any damage. I was able to parry nearly every one of his attacks, in both human and beast forms.

I find myself using the gun to parry/riposte every type of enemy. It's so fun and rewarding.

What weapon are you using alonside your gun?

myco666

If you have picked up any badges you should be able to buy couple of new weapons from the shop. You get one from Cleric Beast and one from killing a pig (or maybe it was next to that pig).

Just walk around the big rock in the cave while he's shooting his gun and attack him when you get a chance. This makes him a lot easier IMO.

If you think he's bad, wait until you walk a few more steps in the cave. :eek:

I'm just playing with you, it's not that bad. It just surprised me my first time around. There's a cool weapon in there too. You could just run in with a torch, grab loot and run out.

So I somehow cleared out the entire cave in one swoop yesterday. Gatling Gun guy did heal once but I immediately parried him afterwards and punished his ass. Of course strolled right into the adjacent area and yeah, can't say I didn't nearly shit my pants.

Blood Starved Beast
as a regular enemy, jesus. As far as I could tell, it at least didn't go into its multiple phases. I mainly used the tried method of parrying its right 'hook'/claw swipe thing when you get close enough. Love fighting that thing.

Manu

The BSB in the cave is considerably easier than the main game one due to no poison.

Now the BSB in the Chalice Dungeon...

So I somehow cleared out the entire cave in one swoop yesterday. Gatling Gun guy did heal once but I immediately parried him afterwards and punished his ass. Of course strolled right into the adjacent area and yeah, can't say I didn't nearly shit my pants.

Blood Starved Beast
as a regular enemy, jesus. As far as I could tell, it at least didn't go into its multiple phases. I mainly used the tried method of parrying its right 'hook'/claw swipe thing when you get close enough. Love fighting that thing.

Good stuff man!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So, which level to reach ro able to kill the Pater without getting swet?
I am getting to the point where I want to stop playing at all.

So, which level to reach ro able to kill the Pater without getting swet?
I am getting to the point where I want to stop playing at all.

You mean the fist boss F
ather G
? use the enviroment against him.

Yeah no, I am busy escaping from the werewolf form and getting stucked in the tombstones while doing that.

In second phase be agressive, if you use two handed weapons the R2 charge attack can parry him enough for a quick Vis after one of his heavy attacks, if you are using a gun wait for a attack opening and shoot him for a Vis attack, or if you have molotovs thats the time to use it against him , add oil for extra damage.

And fire paper is super effective on him

The BSB in the cave is considerably easier than the main game one due to no poison.

Now the BSB in the Chalice Dungeon...

Yeah this is my third playthrough right now and the Chalice version of BSB was a massive dick. I'm not sure I wanted to punch my own face as much as during the Amygdala Chalice fight...holy lord.

MrOogieBoogie

Speaking of Blood Starved Beast, I just defeated it in the main game. Third boss down (after Cleric and Father), and a pretty tough fight. By the fifth try I learned the pattern of its attacks well enough to mostly avoid damage. Parries didn't really help much until the last phase; the first two phases were me simply staying as close as possible and mashing R1.

Overall, very cool fight.

I hope ya'll don't mind these intermittent updates on my first play-through.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Save some molotovs for the wolf phase, 3 or 4 should kill him.

On which Level does my ability to carry more Items increase? I can currently take 10 but thats to few...

That said, I really notice how I get stronger and stronger. A couple of days ago I avoided these big guys with the stone at all costs, now I casually take them out with three hits.
Also I think I would have fewer problems with the pater if the arena would be bigger and had not so many objects where I can get stuck.

Manu

On which Level does my ability to carry more Items increase? I can currently take 10 but thats to few...

It doesn't. You can only carry 10 at any time, but they are restocked automatically when you die or return to Hunter's Dream.

Gotta make them count.

So I hit
Ludwig
yesterday...

Wish there was an alternate route right now for me to come back to him later, this DLC in general is really brutalizing me and I'm not sure I can handle this thing right now. Got about 5 attempts in yesterday and essentially got nowhere. Every time I thought I had figured out a few moves he did some outrageously disorienting move next. Charging across the entire room taking 75% of my full HP, dropping from the damn ceiling where I can't see him...jesus screw you.

As you can see from my last few posts in here, the DLC appears to be unhealthy for me and I've done all the chalice dungeons. Think I'm just rusty as hell.

Akuun

Yeah no, I am busy escaping from the werewolf form and getting stucked in the tombstones while doing that.
There are a couple of open areas in the graveyard where there are no tombstones nearby until you back away really far. Alternately, you can fight on the stairs, where there are no tombstones (but keep in mind that this also limits how much space you have to dodge).

Some of his wolf form's swipes are combo attacks that don't stop until he finishes the whole sequence of swipes. This means that sometimes dodging diagonally forward is better than dodging back, because then he'll overshoot you and keep whiffing the rest of his combo past you.

A good rule of thumb for any Souls game is to dodge in the direction of the attack coming towards you (mostly applies to big swipes). So from your perspective, if a swipe is coming from right to left towards you, you dodge left to right. This minimizes the amount of time the attack is actually touching your character, which means you have the best chance of using your dodge's invincibility frames to dodge successfully.

So I hit
Ludwig
yesterday...

Wish there was an alternate route right now for me to come back to him later, this DLC in general is really brutalizing me and I'm not sure I can handle this thing right now. Got about 5 attempts in yesterday and essentially got nowhere. Every time I thought I had figured out a few moves he did some outrageously disorienting move next. Charging across the entire room taking 75% of my full HP, dropping from the damn ceiling where I can't see him...jesus screw you.

As you can see from my last few posts in here, the DLC appears to be unhealthy for me and I've done all the chalice dungeons. Think I'm just rusty as hell.
IMO that boss is the toughest boss in the game, but also one of my favorite fights. You're in for the long haul because this guy is really fucking strong. At least, it took me hours and hours of attempts before I finally got him.

His tells are hard to spot because his boss model is such a mess, but they're there, so keep at it. I spent a lot of lives just getting wrecked hard over and over because I took a long time figuring out what he's about to do. Make sure you're listening for audio tells too.

Don't forget the guy near the bars outside the boss room for a free 5 vials each attempt. It helps supplement how fast you go through vials attempting that fight.

Speaking of Blood Starved Beast, I just defeated it in the main game. Third boss down (after Cleric and Father), and a pretty tough fight. By the fifth try I learned the pattern of its attacks well enough to mostly avoid damage. Parries didn't really help much until the last phase; the first two phases were me simply staying as close as possible and mashing R1.

Overall, very cool fight.

I hope ya'll don't mind these intermittent updates on my first play-through.
Congrats! Lots of stuff to explore after that.

IMO that boss is the toughest boss in the game, but also one of my favorite fights. You're in for the long haul because this guy is really fucking strong. At least, it took me hours and hours of attempts before I finally got him.

His tells are hard to spot because his boss model is such a mess, but they're there, so keep at it. I spent a lot of lives just getting wrecked hard over and over because I took a long time figuring out what he's about to do. Make sure you're listening for audio tells too.

Don't forget the guy near the bars outside the boss room for a free 5 vials each attempt. It helps supplement how fast you go through vials attempting that fight.

I have this weird self-imposed rule where I won't start using vials until I get a boss down at the very least 25%. I started doing this fighting Amygdala I think because I utterly blew through my vials. I'm nearly there with this guy.

Akuun

I have this weird self-imposed rule where I won't start using vials until I get a boss down at the very least 25%. I started doing this fighting Amygdala I think because I utterly blew through my vials. I'm nearly there with this guy.
I did something like that for the earlier bosses. At the time, I REALLY didn't want to farm vials and I only had like 30 vials in total, so I really didn't want to go through them fast. That's how I took on the first few chalice dungeon bosses but it meant a LOT of deaths.

I didn't do that for the DLC bosses though, because of how it doesn't take too long to farm souls/vials and then buy a big pile of vials at that point in the game. That way, you can freely mash vials during the boss fight and hopefully get more time with the boss that'll let you learn his tells faster.

MrOogieBoogie

I have this sneaking suspicion that I shouldn't be fighting Darkbeast Paarl yet as my fourth boss.... :p

So I hit
Ludwig
yesterday...

Ludwig is very hard so you're in for a tough fight. He took me hours to defeat but when I did I felt so satisfied. When he jumps in the air and you see blood dripping down just run in a straight line, majority of the time he will miss you when he drops down. I say majority because once in awhile he would still hit me (sometimes even one shotting me) so be careful.

When he is about to do that running charge he will yell beforehand, make sure you listen to that and dodge it. If you time it right you can run right after him and get a hit or two in.

If all else fails, you can try to summon? I mean you probably want to do it on your own the first time but you can just do that so you can see the rest of the dlc and solo him on another new game or character. I'll help, I love fighting him. :)

MrOogieBoogie

He was like my 6-7. The game really opens up different paths at a certain point. I missed like the main part and started going different places without knowing if it was right or wrong.

I believe I'm on the right path now. Somehow I was transported to the Unseen Village and fought my way through. Really enjoyed it for how intense the enemies there could be.

Akuun

I believe I'm on the right path now. Somehow I was transported to the Unseen Village and fought my way through. Really enjoyed it for how intense the enemies there could be.
Don't be afraid to stray from the main path and explore a bit. There are a lot of moments in Bloodborne where you go "I wonder what's over here" and then you end up in a completely new area.

And that's a good thing because I think every area in the game is worth exploring.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Don't be afraid to stray from the main path and explore a bit. There are a lot of moments in Bloodborne where you go "I wonder what's over here" and then you end up in a completely new area.

And that's a good thing because I think every area in the game is worth exploring.

I'm experiencing this. It seems more open than the dark souls but I have no proof of this.

Spoilers:
I didn't find the path to the blood stained beast so i started the lecture building, couldn't progress in there so i went through forbidden woods, went back through BSB path then killed Rom now i'm back to Nightmare and did a chalice dungeon along the way. Exploring has been fun.

Akuun

I'm experiencing this. It seems more open than the dark souls but I have no proof of this.

Spoilers:
I didn't find the path to the blood stained beast so i started the lecture building, couldn't progress in there so i went through forbidden woods, went back through BSB path then killed Rom now i'm back to Nightmare and did a chalice dungeon along the way. Exploring has been fun.
I love how
like 60-70% of the game is optional, and yet is worth exploring.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
I love how
like 60-70% of the game is optional, and yet is worth exploring.

Yeah, because of having to go back to certain areas to find new ones and complete quests I just missed stuff. I started using a progression guide, I don't mind because I like seeing everything and I don't use it 100% of the time.

I just found out I missed holy church workshop, upper cathedral, Iosefka's clinic (rear entrance). Now I just got to Cainhurst and would not have figured out Hemwick crossing was at that obelisk.

MrOogieBoogie

Made awesome progress tonight. Took down Vicar Amelia (2nd try), followed by the Witch of Hemwick (1st try). The trek to even get to the witch had me on edge. Very intense.

I also bought Ludwig's Holy Blade, but can someone tell me why it's weaker than my Saw Cleaver despite the stats? Same enemy, it takes one extra hit from Ludwig's Blade at a higher level (+4 vs +3 for Cleaver) to kill it as opposed to the Cleaver. Also, I still have no idea what the purpose of Insight is.

PrinceMunich

Neo Member
So I finished The Old Hunters before the main game, finally killed the Moon Presence and played NG+ only to find out that all the lanterns in the DLC have suddenly been gone?
When I started NG+ I could still visit all the areas from Old Hunters and after beating Vicar Amelia the grave stone suddenly didn't react anymore, is that normal?

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Made awesome progress tonight. Took down Vicar Amelia (2nd try), followed by the Witch of Hemwick (1st try). The trek to even get to the witch had me on edge. Very intense.

I also bought Ludwig's Holy Blade, but can someone tell me why it's weaker than my Saw Cleaver despite the stats? Same enemy, it takes one extra hit from Ludwig's Blade at a higher level (+4 vs +3 for Cleaver) to kill it as opposed to the Cleaver. Also, I still have no idea what the purpose of Insight is.

Making good progress! What are your stats? They have different scaling and different moves even have different attack multipliers.

Ludwig had D+D scaling for strength and skill but at +4 it turns to C+C scaling.
Saw Cleaver has D+E scaling for strength and skill

It also depends on the gems you have in them.

Insight is used to summon NPCs or players for coop, early in the game it allows you to "see" something in the Hunter's Dream, used as a currency to buy things in the hunter's dream, used to feed brainsuckers and piss you off.

Saw cleaver have a good passive against Beasts thats why its stronger than any vanilla weapon if used correctly

LHB is pretty versatile it hace big range of slash, can stagger and one shoot groups of enemies , can stagger in médium range and one of the few weapons with a vertical heavy slash useful to vis big boss enemies

MrOogieBoogie

Making good progress! What are your stats? They have different scaling and different moves even have different attack multipliers.

Ludwig had D+D scaling for strength and skill but at +4 it turns to C+C scaling.
Saw Cleaver has D+E scaling for strength and skill

It also depends on the gems you have in them.

Insight is used to summon NPCs or players for coop, early in the game it allows you to "see" something in the Hunter's Dream, used as a currency to buy things in the hunter's dream, used to feed brainsuckers and piss you off.

Thanks, man, I appreciate it.

As for stats, I believe I'm level 36. Around 20 points in Vit, 17 in End, 17 in Str, 15 in Skl... those are really the only stats I've been upgrading. Saw Cleaver is +3 with some tempered blood stones.

Wow I am loving these beast claws with the beasts embrace rune but I am getting my ass kicked with them lol. This will take some getting used to for sure. I'm being overly aggressive so it's getting me killed. So much fun though.

MrOogieBoogie

The Forbidden Woods.

Talk about an exercise in endurance. Felt like I was trekking forever to get to the boss. I must have amassed nearly 90k in blood echoes just killing everything.

Speaking of the boss, I almost beat it on my first try, but then died. Second try was bad. Third try nearly won again, but those fucking
snakes
. I'm going to give it a rest now and come back to it fresh.

Ludwig is very hard so you're in for a tough fight. He took me hours to defeat but when I did I felt so satisfied. When he jumps in the air and you see blood dripping down just run in a straight line, majority of the time he will miss you when he drops down. I say majority because once in awhile he would still hit me (sometimes even one shotting me) so be careful.

When he is about to do that running charge he will yell beforehand, make sure you listen to that and dodge it. If you time it right you can run right after him and get a hit or two in.

If all else fails, you can try to summon? I mean you probably want to do it on your own the first time but you can just do that so you can see the rest of the dlc and solo him on another new game or character. I'll help, I love fighting him. :)

Appreciated that but I'm staunchly 'gotta do it on my own' on first playthrough, it's some testosterone fueled pride issue possibly.

I never get irritated at this game but damn, those 'out of your field of vision lolz' moves are pretty close to controller throwing material when they one shot me.

I'm starting to really feel the pain of not investing too much in my health bar during this play through...

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
The Forbidden Woods.

Talk about an exercise in endurance. Felt like I was trekking forever to get to the boss. I must have amassed nearly 90k in blood echoes just killing everything.

Speaking of the boss, I almost beat it on my first try, but then died. Second try was bad. Third try nearly won again, but those fucking
snakes
. I'm going to give it a rest now and come back to it fresh.

If you've gone a certain route there is an NPC that you can summon to help you. For the
snakes
all i could figure out to do was to roll like a madman until they went away.

Top Bottom