• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

The Forbidden Woods.

Talk about an exercise in endurance. Felt like I was trekking forever to get to the boss. I must have amassed nearly 90k in blood echoes just killing everything.

Speaking of the boss, I almost beat it on my first try, but then died. Second try was bad. Third try nearly won again, but those fucking
snakes
. I'm going to give it a rest now and come back to it fresh.

There is a hidden not so hidden area upwards that contains an incomplete armor set and you are super close to the next night cycle

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
There is a hidden not so hidden area upwards that contains an incomplete armor set and you are super close to the next night cycle

Hmmm... seems I missed this. In any case, I did go back fresh and manage to beat the boss handily. I focused on taking out the
the swordsman with lots of health, followed by the flame swordsman, and then the fireball guy last.

Fucking hell, I only got this game a few days ago and according to my save file I've played it for 16 hours. I'm really, REALLY enjoying it.

Shmuppers

Martyr
has been kicking my ass as well as
amygadala
. Must beat one of them tomorrow to feel good about myself :(

Amy got a lot easier for me once I learned that you can just sit between its legs. ML is pretty frustrating in the early phase, but once you get him to 2nd he's pretty easy to parry-lock.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Martyr
has been kicking my ass as well as
amygadala
. Must beat one of them tomorrow to feel good about myself :(

Logarius
is one of the harder bosses in the game imo.
Amygdala
is one of those bosses that is probably very hard or very easy, depending on when you do that area.

MrOogieBoogie

That fucking hunter in white in the Byrgenworth manor has been more difficult than any boss I've fought so far. I'm not kidding. I'm level 48 with a +6 Saw Cleaver and it took forever to bring his health bar down, even with viscerals and parries. And STILL I died due to his bullshit, time after time. Said fuck it and just ran by him up the ladder only to get owned by Rom.

That'll be it for tonight. Damn.

The little forest path leading into Byrgenworth and the vista of the big, bright moon reflecting off the water around this foreboding mansion is beautiful.

That fucking hunter in white in the Byrgenworth manor has been more difficult than any boss I've fought so far. I'm not kidding. I'm level 48 with a +6 Saw Cleaver and it took forever to bring his health bar down, even with viscerals and parries. And STILL I died due to his bullshit, time after time. Said fuck it and just ran by him up the ladder only to get owned by Rom.

The little forest path leading into Byrgenworth and the vista of the big, bright moon reflecting off the water around this foreboding mansion is beautiful.

Find all the
NPCs
before
Rom

Veelk

Banned

Just wait until you see Eileen again.

Kieli

That hunter apparently has 99 in every stat. Don't ask me why From did that...

SMK

I made a new character when the Old Hunters got on sale and sort of had a similar problem. I got one shot by a Call Beyond that was cast upstairs while I was still downstairs. I had a little tougher time with this hunter than the Crow for Eileen's quest.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

*her

I came across a little cheese method by accident that's worked for me every time I've fought that hunter. I lead her out of the door and through the gate that you open back to the bonfire and run back to the door of the manor. For some reason her pathing gets her stuck on the side of the open gate - every time - and I just stand on the otheside of the gate and hit her through the geometry until she dies.

Brainsuckers can be unfair sometimes. They can stunlock you no matter what you do. I don't get it sometimes.

Hit them, no matter what happens go directly and poke them to death with low attacks, the only chance they can grab you is after they do they throw animation, one instinctively do a medium or heavy attack leaving them a window to grab you and ignore the hit

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Ughhh.

Beat
Amy
and
Martyr
but i'm having trouble seeing the tells for
daughter of chaos
. Probably just fatigued from playing so much today.

MrOogieBoogie

Okay, I was wrong about Ludwig's Holy Blade. It is way more powerful than I gave it credit for. The charged two-handed R2 is INSANE.

Using the alternate form of the blade I absolutely destroyed that white hunter that was giving me trouble in Byrgenwerth. Afterwards, I walloped Rom and continued onto the Unseen Village. Progress yet again, boys!

Okay, I was wrong about Ludwig's Holy Blade. It is way more powerful than I gave it credit for. The charged two-handed R2 is INSANE.

Using the alternate form of the blade I absolutely destroyed that white hunter that was giving me trouble in Byrgenwerth. Afterwards, I walloped Rom and continued onto the Unseen Village. Progress yet again, boys!

Concussive damage ftw, its supper effective on everything

ajb1888

Banned
Fucking hell, I only got this game a few days ago and according to my save file I've played it for 16 hours. I'm really, REALLY enjoying it.

Just wait. Awesome game, but before you know it you've clocked 220 hours over countless ng cycles and a few characters.

Fear the old blood indeed :/

Just wait. Awesome game, but before you know it you've clocked 220 hours over countless ng cycles and a few characters.

Fear the old blood indeed :/

I'm absolutely not a time-suck/time-warp kind of gamer especially at this point in my life. Before my Souls game addiction started, I'd play an hour or two here and there tops per week.

True to their lore I suppose, time seems to enter some sort of fucked up wormhole in this series where your feverish enjoyment/self-immolation turns into 30 hours play time when you're pretty sure you've only played 'a few hours and barely into it' so far.

I really feel like I haven't played Bloodborne to that crazy of an extent...just checked my play time for the first time and I have about 140 hours into it across my two characters. Outrageous considering I work a ton and am married :/

EDIT: Unrelated, but the jerkiest horse of all time is still kicking my ass but I can usually get him quite a bit into phase 2 at this point so there seems to be hope!

MrOogieBoogie

Landing a pistol stun, then quickly switching to Ludwig's alternate, two-handed mode to hit that visceral for all the fucking damage in the world.

Makes me feel things. I swear.

Akuun

Landing a pistol stun, then quickly switching to Ludwig's alternate, two-handed mode to hit that visceral for all the fucking damage in the world.

Makes me feel things. I swear.
Actually, does visceral damage change depending on whether your weapon is transformed or not? I never looked into that.

I'm also asking because with some weapons, it looks like you're doing the visceral attack with your hand instead of your weapon. I noticed this when doing a backstab visceral with the kirkhammer.

M.D

I've the game for a while made little progress (got to Cleric Beast a bit of the surrounding areas) and put it aside.

Got back into it today and killed Cleric Beast and Father Gascoigne (took me a fair number of tries on both), and now I'm in the mood.

I don't feel like reading Wiki and start spoiling stuff but are there any general tips you could advice? Is there anything that works significantly different from DeS/DS? Can I take liberties with weapon upgrades or can it be a pain sometimes like in Souls?

Akuun

I've the game for a while made little progress (got to Cleric Beast a bit of the surrounding areas) and put it aside.

Got back into it today and killed Cleric Beast and Father Gascoigne (took me a fair number of tries on both), and now I'm in the mood.

I don't feel like reading Wiki and start spoiling stuff but are there any general tips you could advice? Is there anything that works significantly different from DeS/DS? Can I take liberties with weapon upgrades or can it be a pain sometimes like in Souls?
Pressing dodge while you're knocked down can make you roll out of the way and get up sooner.

I think in some cases, mashing buttons during a grab animation will end it sooner.

L1 is a attack that transforms your weapon in the process, if pressed after a dodge or another attack. L2 is an additional attack for two-handed weapons.

str = str, skill = dex.

Armor can't be upgraded. Only weapons can. Physical defense is fairly similar between armor sets so you can freely wear almost whatever you think looks good without seriously gimping yourself, but dressing yourself towards certain damage type/elemental/status resistances can help a lot for certain bosses or areas.

Backstabs aren't instant like in Souls games. You have to do a fully charged R2 attack to make someone vulnerable to a backstab, then R1 when you're behind to follow up with a visceral.

For the most part, treat gunshots like shield parries. You can build certain stats to get more gunshot damage though, and some guns are especially good for damage.

Pressing up (not entirely sure of the button) will turn some of your health into bullets.

There's no mana bar, but some special skills and spells use bullets.

Blood gems (you slot them into your weapons after you upgrade them) are extremely useful and can make a world of difference in your weapon's performance. Gems are kind of ho-hum early on in the game, but ones that you find later on can boost damage significantly.

Weapon upgrades items are pretty plentiful up to around +6, relatively rare up to +9 (but can be farmed), but the item to get a weapon from +9 to +10 is very rare and hard to get. You can probably +10 maybe 2 or 3 weapons in one playthrough, not including the DLC.

Chalice dungeons are entirely optional content but can be good farming. Some bosses are also only found in chalice dungeons.

MrOogieBoogie

Actually, does visceral damage change depending on whether your weapon is transformed or not? I never looked into that.

I'm also asking because with some weapons, it looks like you're doing the visceral attack with your hand instead of your weapon. I noticed this when doing a backstab visceral with the kirkhammer.

Ohhhh! Perhaps you're right, I honestly just assumed it did more damage.

M.D

Pressing dodge while you're knocked down can make you roll out of the way and get up sooner.

I think in some cases, mashing buttons during a grab animation will end it sooner.

L1 is a attack that transforms your weapon in the process, if pressed after a dodge or another attack. L2 is an additional attack for two-handed weapons.

str = str, skill = dex.

Armor can't be upgraded. Only weapons can. Physical defense is fairly similar between armor sets so you can freely wear almost whatever you think looks good without seriously gimping yourself, but dressing yourself towards certain damage type/elemental/status resistances can help a lot for certain bosses or areas.

Backstabs aren't instant like in Souls games. You have to do a fully charged R2 attack to make someone vulnerable to a backstab, then R1 when you're behind to follow up with a visceral.

For the most part, treat gunshots like shield parries. You can build certain stats to get more gunshot damage though, and some guns are especially good for damage.

Pressing up (not entirely sure of the button) will turn some of your health into bullets.

There's no mana bar, but some special skills and spells use bullets.

Blood gems (you slot them into your weapons after you upgrade them) are extremely useful and can make a world of difference in your weapon's performance. Gems are kind of ho-hum early on in the game, but ones that you find later on can boost damage significantly.

Weapon upgrades items are pretty plentiful up to around +6, relatively rare up to +9 (but can be farmed), but the item to get a weapon from +9 to +10 is very rare and hard to get. You can probably +10 maybe 2 or 3 weapons in one playthrough, not including the DLC.

Chalice dungeons are entirely optional content but can be good farming. Some bosses are also only found in chalice dungeons.

Good stuff. Thanks a lot!

The hand visceral attack actually has a piece of lore attached to it, or a reason rather. Check the white church set (gloves I believe). I'm not sure if it's 100% confirmed or whatever but it's a definite link.

The Vis attacks takes in consideration how you approach your enemy and how much Str and Skll you have , taking Skll as the stat that deals more damage on Vis. Str add damage but not as much as a pure Skll build , ( can one shot chalice enemies with one single Vis) thats why Skll players have one hand weapons to use the gun and Str have two handed weapons to deal with no gun gameplay.

The weapon itself dont contribute to the damage on Vis even if the weapon itselft have plus damage on beast or certain enemies, Vis attacks are based on your Hunter stats

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Even fucking Amazon.ca wants to rob Bloodborne!

3SHaIQp.png

In other news, there's a Bloodborne card game... not sure if I want... I might put it on my Christmas list just for the artwork lol

So I played Bloodborne when it came out. Beat it, picked the 'nothing happens ending', felt a bit disappointed, and in short, sold the ps4.

Fast forward a year and I buy Bloodborne Game of the Year edition, sitting on it until the day I might get a ps4 again.

Finally, Black Friday, I pick it up.
I decided to play again, today.

I picked Waste of Skin character class because it seemed suited to the character I was making. So at level 4, with minimal use of health vials, I kill every enemy in the level, in one go, and grab all the items. I remember the first time I played it, getting my ass whooped a dozen times, thinking how much different it is to Dark Souls, so I was surprised how quickly it came back to me.

Saw the new 'old hunters bell' key item, I assume that's how you get into the DLC content.

Anyway, I'm excited to play again. As much as I liked Dark Souls 3, I agree with the guy who said the real trilogy is Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne.

So Ludwig broke me completely last night. I tried him for probably an hour+ straight until I reached that point where you're so rattled by frustration, you start getting worse and regress. At first I was able to get him to about 1/4 of his health bar several times and I hit a total brick wall and was getting absolutely crushed right in the beginning again.

He broke me as in I've never broken down and actually summoned help on my first try boss fights in ANY Souls game before.

Guess what, still couldn't beat him with two fucking people helping me...I feel like a complete loser at this game right now and I'm fantasizing about smashing my entire PS4 setup into my TV essentially. Absolutely nuclear levels of frustration and I truly feel like I have no chance in his second phase, all I do is dodge endlessly to get a hit in once in a while that he immediately punishes which costs me two vials each essentially. I'll return to it eventually but right now, I just feel like I have to grind my health bar up or I just have no chance.

So Ludwig broke me completely last night. I tried him for probably an hour+ straight until I reached that point where you're so rattled by frustration, you start getting worse and regress. At first I was able to get him to about 1/4 of his health bar several times and I hit a total brick wall and was getting absolutely crushed right in the beginning again.

He broke me as in I've never broken down and actually summoned help on my first try boss fights in ANY Souls game before.

Guess what, still couldn't beat him with two fucking people helping me...I feel like a complete loser at this game right now and I'm fantasizing about smashing my entire PS4 setup into my TV essentially. Absolutely nuclear levels of frustration and I truly feel like I have no chance in his second phase, all I do is dodge endlessly to get a hit in once in a while that he immediately punishes which costs me two vials each essentially. I'll return to it eventually but right now, I just feel like I have to grind my health bar up or I just have no chance.

Thats the Ludwig experience for you, after that wall of difficulty the boses are not really that hard

Akuun

Take a break to cool off. You're not a loser. Try again once you're rested and cleared up. If it helps, I took something like 6 hours of attempts to beat him. There was one point when my wife walked by while I was trying him, then she dropped by like 3 hours later and was like "wait, you're still on this guy?" I hit the same point as you where the exhaustion just kicked in and I was suddenly dying over and over with barely one fifth of his health bar taken off. That was when I called it a night and decided to try again later.

Ludwig is a super hard boss, but fighting him (or any difficult boss, really) is not an all-or-nothing affair. Even if you die to him, you may have still gotten something out of it. Dying is normal. Every death is information for you. You died, but you learned how to dodge that one attack. You died, but that particular dodge has to be spaced a little better because now you know how you got caught out. You learned a better way to dodge one attack that lets you get some damage in as punishment. That sort of thing. And you get better and better in the fight with practice, until you will eventually clear.

Manu

I died to Ludwig nearly 40 times the first time I played through the DLC, nowadays he never takes more than 2. I don't really want to say "he's not really hard" because 1. I hate when people do that and 2. HE IS GODDAMN HARD, fuck anyone who tells you otherwise. He hits like a truck. He's fast and unpredictable. It's definitely a tough fight. But I finally came up with a way to beat him consistently.

First off: Don't summon. Every person you summon makes the boss' attack and defense go up, so you're only increasing everyone's chances of getting oneshot. Second: lock into him at all times during phase 1, and try to stick by his side. Dodging him is much easier this way, dodge rolls don't do shit against Ludwig for some reason. He'll probably run into you a couple times but you can heal safely once you're against his side, and his headbutts don't hit that hard either. Just switch sides a couple times and you'll stun him every now and then. When he jumps just start rolling away and he'll miss you 90% of the time.

Second phase is much easier. Just stay on his back, roll, hit when you see an opening. When he does the charged laser attack stay close to him, it's easier to dodge this way. He also gets staggered really quick in this phase.

tl;dr: stay always at his sides. Hit only when your health is up, burn through those flasks if you have to, you have more than enough. You can do this.

MrOogieBoogie

I'm a little confused about this game's length. I'm like 20 hours in and I just defeated Mergo's Wet Nurse. Go back to Hunter's Dream, and it's in shambles. The Doll tells me that I'm about to fight the final boss.

Huh?

I feel like I went at a very steady pace, but I don't think I rushed anything. How do I go about doing this if I want to play the Old Hunters DLC? Can I do it after fighting Gehrman without needing to go into NG+?

I'm a little confused about this game's length. I'm like 20 hours in and I just defeated Mergo's Wet Nurse. Go back to Hunter's Dream, and it's in shambles. The Doll tells me that I'm about to fight the final boss.

Huh?

I feel like I went at a very steady pace, but I don't think I rushed anything. How do I go about doing this if I want to play the Old Hunters DLC? Can I do it after fighting Gehrman without needing to go into NG+?

You can get to the DLC before Gehrman. Fighting Gehrman puts you into NG+ immediately. So don't do it unless you want to go to ng+.

MrOogieBoogie

Oh shit. No kidding. Overall, I really thought this game was easy compared to the other Souls games I've played. Nameless King in DS3 alone took me 15 tries. I don't think all the bosses in this one (including several optional bosses) combined took me 15 tries. Huh.

Anyway, onto the DLC! In terms of difficulty, I'd rank the bosses as follows:

1. Blood-Starved Beast
2. Shadow of Yharnam
3. Cleric Beast
4. The One Reborn
5. Darkbeast Paarl
6. Vigar Amelia
7. Rom, the Vacuous Spider
8. Micolash, Host of the Nightmare
9. Mergo's Wet Nurse
10. Father Gascoigne
11. The Witch of Hemwick

Missing the final boss as well as a couple of optional bosses which I'll see if I can figure out how to get to. Really excited about the DLC bosses, though.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh shit. No kidding. Overall, I really thought this game was easy compared to the other Souls games I've played. Nameless King in DS3 alone took me 15 tries. I don't think all the bosses in this one (including several optional bosses) combined took me 15 tries. Huh.
The non-Chalice bosses are mostly easy.

You also missed three non-Chalice optional bosses, it seems (one that's very easy, one that's considered pretty hard, and one that's arguably the hardest non-DLC, non-Chalice boss in the game). Want a hint on how to find them?

I would suggest doing these optional areas before the DLC, as the DLC is much harder still.

As for Chalice dungeons, the earliest ones, if you haven't done them, are going to be piss easy and really boring, but if you stick with them, they get increasingly harder and feature some really awesome bosses.

Take a break to cool off. You're not a loser. Try again once you're rested and cleared up. If it helps, I took something like 6 hours of attempts to beat him. There was one point when my wife walked by while I was trying him, then she dropped by like 3 hours later and was like "wait, you're still on this guy?" I hit the same point as you where the exhaustion just kicked in and I was suddenly dying over and over with barely one fifth of his health bar taken off. That was when I called it a night and decided to try again later.

Ludwig is a super hard boss, but fighting him (or any difficult boss, really) is not an all-or-nothing affair. Even if you die to him, you may have still gotten something out of it. Dying is normal. Every death is information for you. You died, but you learned how to dodge that one attack. You died, but that particular dodge has to be spaced a little better because now you know how you got caught out. You learned a better way to dodge one attack that lets you get some damage in as punishment. That sort of thing. And you get better and better in the fight with practice, until you will eventually clear.

I died to Ludwig nearly 40 times the first time I played through the DLC, nowadays he never takes more than 2. I don't really want to say "he's not really hard" because 1. I hate when people do that and 2. HE IS GODDAMN HARD, fuck anyone who tells you otherwise. He hits like a truck. He's fast and unpredictable. It's definitely a tough fight. But I finally came up with a way to beat him consistently.

First off: Don't summon. Every person you summon makes the boss' attack and defense go up, so you're only increasing everyone's chances of getting oneshot. Second: lock into him at all times during phase 1, and try to stick by his side. Dodging him is much easier this way, dodge rolls don't do shit against Ludwig for some reason. He'll probably run into you a couple times but you can heal safely once you're against his side, and his headbutts don't hit that hard either. Just switch sides a couple times and you'll stun him every now and then. When he jumps just start rolling away and he'll miss you 90% of the time.

Second phase is much easier. Just stay on his back, roll, hit when you see an opening. When he does the charged laser attack stay close to him, it's easier to dodge this way. He also gets staggered really quick in this phase.

tl;dr: stay always at his sides. Hit only when your health is up, burn through those flasks if you have to, you have more than enough. You can do this.

I didn't mean it as in 'I'm a loser' literally...that came off very dramatically the way I typed it, sorry!

Anyway, of course I feel like a tool now after booting up the game shortly after writing up that rant and solo-ing him on my second try. Incredibly brutal and tense fight though and I'm shocked I beat him. I had about 50% of my health bar and 1 blood vial left when he that sweet, sweet, sweet visceral sound queue happened and I knew I had him. Finishing that piece of shit off with a V attack was outrageously satisfying and the fact you can
essentially shit-talk his severed head with messages for others to like
afterwards must be a pat on the back from FROM. I'll have to say that solo-ing him was much easier than summoning help. I found his moveset even more unpredictable and the battle overall to devolve into chaos with help.

I also had a much harder time with his second form actually. I never had proper time to 'practice' those moves and all his sword swipes are really delayed and obnoxious to time. I was terrified to even get near him especially because of that double swipe he does that could close to one-shot me with my weak health bar.

I did advance to the Research Hall but stopped at the lantern, didn't have the proper time to really get into it and always prefer to leave it for later if that's the case. I managed to bump my health bar up several levels and upgraded the Whirligig Saw to +8 for its Strength scaling and well...I mean look at it, it's insane.

Two questions so far:
1. How's the
Amygdala Arm
when upgraded? Its moveset seems cool.
2. If I've reached the Research Hall already, have I gone too far to find the keys for the
locked dungeon doors right after Ludwig
? Just yes or no because my anxiety is killing me about it.

Thats the Ludwig experience for you, after that wall of difficulty the boses are not really that hard

I uhhh, I beat Ludwig on my 2nd try ...

But I lost the will to live fighting Blood-Starved Beast and Orphan of Kos tho

Don't give up Bloodporne(?), you're not a loser. I spent 6 hours trying to defeat Defiled Amygdala earlier this year, made me give up on the game for a few months. But I was right back in later, I just needed more. I already platinumed the game, but I'm thinking about heading back for some NG+.

People have different issues with different bosses. I got one-shotted more times by Micolash (8 times, shamefully) than I died to Mergo's Wet Nurse (3 times).

Akuun

Anyway, onto the DLC! In terms of difficulty, I'd rank the bosses as follows:

1. Blood-Starved Beast
2. Shadow of Yharnam
3. Cleric Beast
4. The One Reborn
5. Darkbeast Paarl
6. Vigar Amelia
7. Rom, the Vacuous Spider
8. Micolash, Host of the Nightmare
9. Mergo's Wet Nurse
10. Father Gascoigne
11. The Witch of Hemwick

Missing the final boss as well as a couple of optional bosses which I'll see if I can figure out how to get to. Really excited about the DLC bosses, though.
Yeah, you're missing a few optional areas and their bosses, not counting the DLC content. I think the game might feel short to you because a) it sounds like you've been really powering through it, and b) the game is like 60-70% optional areas, and it's hard to tell what's optional until you're near the end of the game. You've also been cutting through the bosses a lot faster than most people have I think. Most people get stuck on at least a few here and there.

Two questions so far:
1. How's the
Amygdala Arm
when upgraded? Its moveset seems cool.
2. If I've reached the Research Hall already, have I gone too far to find the keys for the
locked dungeon doors right after Ludwig
? Just yes or no because my anxiety is killing me about it.
Haha, I had the same experience on the last boss of the DLC. Got wrecked by him for hours, put the game down, came back the next day, put up a stream for "attempts on this boss" and oneshotted him.

1. Dunno about the Amygdala Arm. My character doesn't have the stats to use it. I agree that it looks cool though.
2. No, you're fine.

Top Bottom