• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Phew...I'm so bad with this OCD type stuff regarding undiscovered areas that I keep a little notepad around and jot down a 'to-do' list when playing Souls games.
It's not an undiscovered area, but the
severed boss head
has some dialogue that I think you're missing at the moment.

I can give a hint about it if you want.

It's not an undiscovered area, but the
severed boss head
has some dialogue that I think you're missing at the moment.

I can give a hint about it if you want.

Yeah, I screwed up and literally hit him with a charged attacked as the X TALK prompt popped up :/

I was about to look up what he says.

Akuun

Yeah, I screwed up and literally hit him with a charged attacked as the X TALK prompt popped up :/

I was about to look up what he says.
He
talks about the light that guides him, but if you talk to him while wearing a church outfit, he recognizes you as a hunter of the church, and asks the church was as righteous as he hoped they were. He reacts appropriately depending on your answer.

I also had to look this part up because I missed this dialogue.
When I went back to talk to him, he was dead with an arrow through his head, and had dropped his weapon.

He
talks about the light that guides him, but if you talk to him while wearing a church outfit, he recognizes you as a hunter of the church, and asks the church was as righteous as he hoped they were. He reacts appropriately depending on your answer.

I also had to look this part up because I missed this dialogue.
When I went back to talk to him, he was dead with an arrow through his head, and had dropped his weapon.

Simon
kills him if you talk to him on the research hall and go back to Ludwig

Yeah, that's what I figured out when I
got his bow in the Fishing Hamlet
Does Simon kill Ludwig even if you talk to Ludwig
?

The crazy deer guy on the saled door
kills Simon after Simon kills Ludwig because Simon was about to reach the secret of the healing church,

Nop,
Simon moves to the next area if you go back to talk and calm Ludwig (using the church armor set) before you talk with Simon on the research hall

Akuun

The crazy deer guy on the saled door
kills Simon after Simon kills Ludwig because Simon was about to reach the secret of the healing church,

Nop,
Simon moves to the next area if you go back to talk and calm Ludwig (using the church armor set) before you talk with Simon on the research hall
That fucking deer guy.
First he kills Simon, then invades me repeatedly, then when I find him in his cell, he asks if I'm going to kill him and I decide not to.

Then the next time I'm around there, he fucking invades me again! So I went back into his cell and stabbed his ass.

Oh shit. No kidding. Overall, I really thought this game was easy compared to the other Souls games I've played. Nameless King in DS3 alone took me 15 tries. I don't think all the bosses in this one (including several optional bosses) combined took me 15 tries. Huh.

Anyway, onto the DLC! In terms of difficulty, I'd rank the bosses as follows:

1. Blood-Starved Beast
2. Shadow of Yharnam
3. Cleric Beast
4. The One Reborn
5. Darkbeast Paarl
6. Vigar Amelia
7. Rom, the Vacuous Spider
8. Micolash, Host of the Nightmare
9. Mergo's Wet Nurse
10. Father Gascoigne
11. The Witch of Hemwick

Missing the final boss as well as a couple of optional bosses which I'll see if I can figure out how to get to. Really excited about the DLC bosses, though.

Not a bad list, BSB is one of my favorites as well, really only topped by a boss in an optional area. Bummer to see Gascoigne so low, love his intro, the music and the shift halfway through the fight. Just curious, what did you dig about the Shadows of Yharnam fight?

Edit: whoops, just saw these are by difficulty, my bad! Do you have an "enjoyment" ranking?

mrmickfran

I've been told that Chalice Dungeons don't scale with NG+

So why does it feel like enemies hit much harder and i'm getting so many echoes?

Just wanted to throw out there that now that I've pushed past
Ludwig
, the DLC is really opening up and f-ing fantastic...damn.
Research Hall
is so good and I'm not even done with it yet. I just pounded my way through the 'dark past' version of the
Balcony/Upper Cathedral courtyard area
and the lore stuff is just great.

Akuun

Yeah, the DLC is quite possibly my favorite DLC I've played of any game. It's right up there with Artorias of the Abyss, and very possibly even surpasses it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I've been told that Chalice Dungeons don't scale with NG+

So why does it feel like enemies hit much harder and i'm getting so many echoes?
Depends on the Chalice. The same chalice dungeons give tons of echoes in NG too.

Depth 1-2-3 are roughly NG difficulty, at various points of the game.
Depth 4 is like NG+ at least, and depth 5 is NG+ or NG++ difficulty.

M.D

... This is my to do tonight... Yikes! :D

Killed it on my third try.
Pretty easy fight, you just need to be prepared with antidotes (I was wondering why so many were dropping from the mobs leading to that area ;p) and it's pretty easy to dodge his (her?) attacks.

I really like the game, it's giving me feelings DeS/DS1 gave me back when I first played them.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Killed it on my third try.
Pretty easy fight, you just need to be prepared with antidotes (I was wondering why so many were dropping from the mobs leading to that area ;p) and it's pretty easy to dodge his (her?) attacks.

It took me one try yesterday :D

Weiss

Banned
I think Bloodborne is the only Souls game I can really get into.

Dark Souls 3 is just really dragging and I wasn't too hot on the first game either.

Meanwhile I can play Bloodborne over and over and never get tired of it.

Old Hunters is hands down the best DLC content I've ever bought. It doesn't feel like it was cut from the main game but still offers a ton of context and lore. Not to mention the enemy design is top notch, even the weakest boss in the pack is a blast and it contains the best souls level in
The Research Hall.

Old Hunters is hands down the best DLC content I've ever bought. It doesn't feel like it was cut from the main game but still offers a ton of context and lore. Not to mention the enemy design is top notch, even the weakest boss in the pack is a blast and it contains the best souls level in
The Research Hall.

Those patients are really crazy if you poke them a lot.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Not a bad list, BSB is one of my favorites as well, really only topped by a boss in an optional area. Bummer to see Gascoigne so low, love his intro, the music and the shift halfway through the fight. Just curious, what did you dig about the Shadows of Yharnam fight?

Edit: whoops, just saw these are by difficulty, my bad! Do you have an "enjoyment" ranking?

I definitely do! I have since explored Cainhurst Castle, the Nightmare Frontier, the Upper Cathedral Ward, and have gotten as far as Ludwig in the DLC (saving Gehrman for last), so my list of favorite bosses thus far would be as follows:

1. Father Gascoigne
2. Martyr Logarius
3. Ebriates
4. Vigar Amelia
5. Darkbeast Paarl
6. Mergo's Wet Nurse
7. Blood-Starved Beast
8. Cleric Beast
9. Celestial Emissary
10. Shadow of Yharnam
11. Rom, the Vacuous Spider
12. Amygdala
13. The One Reborn
14. Micolash, Host of the Nightmare
15. The Witch of Hemwick

Haven't beaten Ludwig yet but he'll certainly be in my top three.

I definitely do! I have since explored Cainhurst Castle, the Nightmare Frontier, the Upper Cathedral Ward, and have gotten as far as Ludwig in the DLC (saving Gehrman for last), so my list of favorite bosses thus far would be as follows:

1. Father Gascoigne
2. Martyr Logarius
3. Ebriates
4. Vigar Amelia
5. Darkbeast Paarl
6. Mergo's Wet Nurse
7. Blood-Starved Beast
8. Cleric Beast
9. Celestial Emissary
10. Shadow of Yharnam
12. Amygdala
13. The One Reborn
15. The Witch of Hemwick

Cant wait to see you put at least two of the DLC bosses on your top 3

mrmickfran

Depends on the Chalice. The same chalice dungeons give tons of echoes in NG too.

Depth 1-2-3 are roughly NG difficulty, at various points of the game.
Depth 4 is like NG+ at least, and depth 5 is NG+ or NG++ difficulty.

Oh okay, so no matter what playthrough I'm on it's the same results? Thank God. I was about to tackle the Defiled Chalice and I thought I screwed myself over by waiting until NG+ to take it on.

MrOogieBoogie

Wow, people were not joking about Ludwig. He's far more difficult than any main game boss, in my opinion. I can't even get him down to half health.

I'm level 74 on NG. Dunno if I'm low-leveled or what, but I doubt it since the regular enemies leading up to him weren't too bad at all.

Wow, people were not joking about Ludwig. He's far more difficult than any main game boss, in my opinion. I can't even get him down to half health.

I'm level 74 on NG. Dunno if I'm low-leveled or what, but I doubt it since the regular enemies leading up to him weren't too bad at all.

Oh boy....

6c3.png

Howdy. I'm just dropping by to voice my disdain of Defiled Pthumeru Amygdala, because that fight is some straight-up bullshit.

Level 112 on normal NG (not that that really matters, I guess), so I don't THINK I was too far behind the expected level? I was using the Kirkhammer up until I caved and switched to Ludwig's Holy Blade for the L2 move, which made the whole thing a LOT more bearable. I'm not entirely sure what the course of action even IS for other movesets, but I will admit I'm not super familiar with a lot of them. Anyone else got any horror stories of that place? Oh and Watchdog of the Old Lords sucked too.

Someone please tell my that lady Yharnam down a depth lower isn't quite as bullshit, because my nerves are SHOT after that one.

Other than all that, I really REALLY love this game. Picked up a PS4 just for this and a few other exclusives recently and man, what a game.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Lady Yharnam is a lot easier and actually a really fun boss fight. I super enjoy her. But get ready, because the boss before her is rough.

Howdy. I'm just dropping by to voice my disdain of Defiled Pthumeru Amygdala, because that fight is some straight-up bullshit.

Level 112 on normal NG (not that that really matters, I guess), so I don't THINK I was too far behind the expected level? I was using the Kirkhammer up until I caved and switched to Ludwig's Holy Blade for the L2 move, which made the whole thing a LOT more bearable. I'm not entirely sure what the course of action even IS for other movesets, but I will admit I'm not super familiar with a lot of them. Anyone else got any horror stories of that place? Oh and Watchdog of the Old Lords sucked too.

Someone please tell my that lady Yharnam down a depth lower isn't quite as bullshit, because my nerves are SHOT after that one.

Other than all that, I really REALLY love this game. Picked up a PS4 just for this and a few other exclusives recently and man, what a game.

Nah i think your main issue in defiled is you are probably low of vit stat you need at least around 47 vit to dont be instsnt killed con bosses

Isz chalice dont have modifiers so you will be fine

Well that's good to hear, at least. Maybe this platinum won't feel so empty in the end after all!

The end is in sight.

Nah i think tour main issue is you are probably low of vit

Isz chalice dont have modifiers so you will be fine

My vit is currently 41, and was as the time of the fight, but I figured I was a bit low on HP. As a matter of fact, I went and swapped my two HP boosting runes on. My HP after the 50% reduction was 777, which let me take a few of Amy's normal hits, but not a direct arcane explosion or being landed on by a jump.

1. Father Gascoigne
2. Martyr Logarius
3. Ebriates
4. Vigar Amelia
5. Darkbeast Paarl
6. Mergo's Wet Nurse
7. Blood-Starved Beast
8. Cleric Beast
9. Celestial Emissary
10. Shadow of Yharnam
12. Amygdala
13. The One Reborn
15. The Witch of Hemwick

Your top three is similar to mine sans Gehrman and the DLC, you're in for a treat. I rank BSB a little higher and Celestial Emissary lower, but that's a solid ranking. I;m glad we can both agree Witch of Hemwick is low-tier, which is a shame considering how good the music is.

Let us know when you do!

Well that's good to hear, at least. Maybe this platinum won't feel so empty in the end after all!

The end is in sight.

My vit is currently 41, and was as the time of the fight, but I figured I was a bit low on HP. As a matter of fact, I went and swapped my two HP boosting runes on. My HP after the 50% reduction was 777, which let me take a few of Amy's normal hits, but not a direct arcane explosion or being landed on by a jump.
Maybe a vial heal up rune would be better, as long as you can survive one knock down hit you can heal and be back on your feet. The jump attack you should never take damage from, stand still when she jumps.

My method for Amygdala has always been that it's much safer to stay behind her, hit her tail (which is terrible damage) but it makes her jump a lot - stand still and charge an R2 whilst she's in the air and thwap her head, roll back through her legs back to the tail and repeat. Visceral attack every few head thwaps. Her flailing arms are the only worry, but you can roll out of the way (I would not lock on for a boss this big) and/or heal if you get knocked down.

Oh man I guess in my haste to vent a bit I didn't mention that I'd actually finished the fight before posting!

I spent a lot of time on this fight, so I got pretty good at recognizing her attack animations (mostly by standing way the hell back), so the first two phases of the fight were pretty simple (bait a rest animation and give her head a good smack). The third phase was my big hang-up until I discovered that you could lock her into jump attacks pretty easily.

Of course, knowing what I needed to do didn't make the execution any less stressful, and the nerves kind of get to you after a bit!

Akuun

I think that's about right for NG. The DLC is just plain harder than the rest of the game, for the most part. It's like From took off the kid gloves when putting together the DLC.

From this reddit FAQ about the DLC: https://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/4aewhw/bloodborne_the_old_hunters_dlc_faq/

Q: What are the recommended levels for the DLC?

For NG, since you are still building your character, you should go later. If you followed the recommended timing in the previous question, your character should be at a good point to try to complete the DLC while accounting for how much you may have leveled to get to that point.

NG:

Bare minimum recommended level: 65

More comfortable and commonly recommended level range: 70 - 90

In NG+, bosses become considerably harder than NG. Things are more reliant on your own personal skill so the recommended level range is a lot larger.

NG+:

Bare minimum recommended level: 110

More comfortable and commonly recommended level range: 125 - 175

Lady Yharnam is a lot easier and actually a really fun boss fight. I super enjoy her. But get ready, because the boss before her is rough.

Hopefully headless boy was who you were referring to, because damn if the Kirkhammer isn't the best weapon for that fight. The constant overhead swings eviscerate the dang thing.

Onward to layer 3!

MrOogieBoogie

Finally!

I took down Ludwig after countless tries. I lost track. Without doubt the hardest boss I've personally faced in the Souls series (well, every game except Dark Souls 2). This one was a bitch to solo. Honestly, I felt literally hopeless against him. After so many tries and still never seeing his second form I really thought, "Will I ever beat him?" I just could not read his attacks and I felt like I was doing puny damage despite my Ludwig's Holy Sword fortified to +10.

However, something clicked and I brought him to his second form. Died instantly. Did it again, and died while he had a quarter health left. Third attempt I went for broke and slashed him to pieces.

I'm feeling pretty goddamn good right now.

MrOogieBoogie

Oh wtf? I just now learned that L2 does an attack when two-handing Ludwig's Holy Sword. I've only ever used R1 and R2. :|

Oh wtf? I just now learned that L2 does an attack when two-handing Ludwig's Holy Sword. I've only ever used R1 and R2. :|

Yep! All weapons that are 2h when you transform them get L2 attacks in place of your gun. Some of them are really neat.

In other news...

I'm all done!

That makes my fourth platinumed Souls game, and I don't think I'm ever going to do Demon's. Bloodborne was definitely the most fun to platinum, not requiring any NG+(++) runs to collect everything. Less really is more in some cases.

MrOogieBoogie

I've gotta say, I've been really impressed by the boss fights in The Old Hunters. Ludwig will go down as one of the most formidable challenges I've ever come across in a video game. His wonderful music and his grotesque character design will never leave me.

Lady Maria will go down as one of the most perfectly balanced boss fights in the whole series, in my opinion. After the brick wall that is Ludwig, I breathed a sigh of relief when I could actually see and plan for her attack patterns.

I just now beat Orphan of Kos, and the same thing with him. Absolutely amazing boss fight that really drives home Bloodborne's nuanced evasive combat. Again, readable attack patterns that force you to git gud. I died to him a few times but never once was annoyed because none of it was bullshit. I missed my timing window or I flubbed an attack. Like it should be.

I've got one boss left (Laurence), so I'm excited to see what he's like. (Living Failures was the only miss, in my opinion. I didn't even lose damage in that fight. Was it a joke? lol)

And the soundtrack in this DLC...

My god.

Welp, Living Failures are actually a failure, they cant even see you, not all bosses have to be hard but to fit the lore of the game, thats the charm of a Souls game most of the bosses are handicapped of some sort.

Laurence
is not fighting at his fullest but against his will,

Orphan
didnt developed well to fight you he is just fighting of anger and fear when he noticed your presence

Maria
gave up of living and never fights with her weapons but blood arts

Ludwig in other hand
was on a feral state when you met him and you actually helps him to recover his sanity adn fights you at his fullest
his first theme is the accursed blade then changes to holy blade at phase two

Akuun

Welp, Living Failures are actually a failure, they cant even see you, not all bosses have to be hard but to fit the lore of the game, thats the charm of a Souls game most of the bosses are handicapped of some sort.

Laurence
is not fighting at his fullest but against his will,

Orphan
didnt developed well to fight you he is just fighting of anger and fear when he noticed your presence

Maria
gave up of living and never fights with her weapons but blood arts

Ludwig in other hand
was on a feral state when you met him and you actually helps him to recover his sanity adn fights you at his fullest
his first theme is the accursed blade then changes to holy blade at phase two
Another really interesting thing about Ludwig is that he
actually loses beast status in his second phase. Damage types that give bonuses against beasts no longer give that bonus in second phase.

Oh, and Laurence is kind of a disappointing boss fight. Not that he's easy (he's not), but he's not as fun to fight as Ludwig/Maria/OoK. I don't think he's actually a bad boss (I consider Living Failures a bad boss), but he's just not as interesting IMO.

The DLC is probably the best $10 I've spent this year. It was a steal during that PSN sale.

So I'm around low 90s level and can't find anyone to summon even after waiting 15 minutes for the
Living Failures
fight.

Somehow I would find it fun to have some help for this fight, I think I'm just drained after Ludwig completely crushed my spirits last. I can definitely beat it solo in a few more tries but again, would be cool to get some help.

Am I overleveled at low 90s here or what?

Deku Tree

So I'm around low 90s level and can't find anyone to summon even after waiting 15 minutes for the
Living Failures
fight.

Somehow I would find it fun to have some help for this fight, I think I'm just drained after Ludwig completely crushed my spirits last. I can definitely beat it solo in a few more tries but again, would be cool to get some help.

You might be underleveled actually. I found a lot of co-op in the DLC in the 120s.

You can try r/huntersBell

That place was still active the last time I checked.

Living Failures
fight.

The problem with Living failures is barely anyone get a wipe on that boss and move on pretty fast because there is another boss right away on that one. Not sure if that bosss actually gives good echoes but is definitely not worth the coop time.

MrOogieBoogie

Beat the main game and DLC after 36 hours! Ended up at level 89 using mainly Ludwig's Holy Blade +10.

I'm a big fan of Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Dark Souls III, and have wanted to play Bloodborne since the day it released. I only recently got a PS4 Pro and of course Bloodborne was the first game I purchased.

I am not disappointed. The gameplay in this series is as fantastic as ever here, with some really cool and welcome nuances. The atmosphere and soundtrack are fantastic, the art is breathtaking at times, and the bosses on the whole are pretty goddamn strong (especially the DLC). Overall, I'm not quite sure where this ranks among my favorites in the series, because they're all good in their own ways, but I can definitely see why it's appealing to so many people.

Just to finish up the list, here were the most difficult bosses, in my opinion:

1. Ludwig the Accursed
2. Orphan of Kos
3. Blood-Starved Beast
4. Laurence, the first Vicar
5. Shadow of Yharnam
7. Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower
6. Martyr Logarius
8. Cleric Beast
9. Ebriates, Daughter of the Cosmos
10. The One Reborn
11. Darkbeast Paarl
12. Gehrman, the First Hunter
13. Vigar Amelia
14. Rom, the Vacuous Spider
15. Amygdala
16. Moon Presence
17. Micolash, Host of the Nightmare
18. Mergo's Wet Nurse
19. Father Gascoigne
20. The Witch of Hemwick
21. Living Failures
22. Celestial Emissary

Ludwig is the hardest boss I've fought in the entire series (all solo). Nameless King, Ornstein & Smough, Flamelurker... none of these have given me as much trouble. Hell, I even beat Orphan of Kos in only a few tries. But he felt beatable from the first attempt. Ludwig didn't feel beatable to me until attempt 20 or 25. LOL But my goodness, he may exemplify the Souls series better than anyone: aggressive, relentless, tragic, beautiful, grotesque, insane... Perfect conglomeration of every Souls series motif.

With that, my favorite bosses in the game:

Ludwig, Orphan of Kos, Martyr Logarius, Lady Maria, Ebriates, Gehrman, Vigar Amelia, Father Gascoigne... Really strong collection there.

Only thing I didn't really do were the chalice dungeons. Played a few levels of the first one but could see how they sour the game for so many people with their repetitive design, so I stayed away.

Top Bottom