• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Gaf, convince to become a bloodborner, heres the thing:

Coming up an golden gaming opportunity for me soon, wife and kids Will be away from home for 5 weeks, plus one of these 5 weeks I Will be of from work as well. Hence first and only time in years and years to come I can devote a month+ of gaming

Is bloodborne a game that is of advatage to play much, or would a few hours per week still be enjoyable? I already bought MGSV and planned to devote this opportunity to that game, but perhaps it suits bloodborne better, If so I pull the trigger for the GOTY edition during the current sale. Never played souls Before. Just know I recently just enjoy gameplayed focused games.

Is online co-op throghout the entire game a thing? This is an bad example, but only co-op Campaign I ever played was gow1 and the co-op aspect was ome of the Most beloved gaming experiences.

Should I devote this time to bloodborne istead of MGSV or is it a game I can enjoy from time to time later down the year of 2017?

Nev

Banned

Because you haven't played a Souls game before it's hard to tell whether or not you'll like it. But since you said you're interested in gameplay focused games I'm gonna go with yes.

You can enjoy it a few hours a week or full addiction, it doesn't matter. If you get into it you'll be doing the latter, tho. The game will be long if you're new to the series, expect 50+ hours if you do the DLC and the optional areas too.

Online co-op throughout is a thing, but it's not your traditional co-op experience. In this game you summon help from another player to help you with a boss. You can summon someone and roam freely the area prior to the boss, but once you defeat the boss they will be gone. You'll have to summon them again for the next area. Meaning you can clean whole areas and their bosses playing co-op. There's a "catch" tho.

The boss will only be defeated in the playthrough of the player who summons the other player. You can be summoned by others to help them defeat the bosses of their own playthrough, but the boss you defeat in these worlds as a helper won't be gone in your playthrough.

If you want to co-op the whole game with a friend you'll have to co-op the same areas twice, one for your playthrough and one for your friends'. The person summoned will be rewarded for helping the summoner with Blood Echoes (the main currency of the game, used for basically everything) and Insight (the other, less frequent currency for more exclusive stuff). If you both defeat the boss, that is. If you die in other player's world you'll return to your own with no rewards and the other player will have to summon you again. If the summoner player dies you're kicked back to your world inmediately.

Anyways, I'd say go for it. The game is a masterpiece and definitely suits your situation. If it clicks you'll be absolutely absorbed.

Gaf, convince to become a bloodborner, heres the thing:

Coming up an golden gaming opportunity for me soon, wife and kids Will be away from home for 5 weeks, plus one of these 5 weeks I Will be of from work as well. Hence first and only time in years and years to come I can devote a month+ of gaming

Is bloodborne a game that is of advatage to play much, or would a few hours per week still be enjoyable? I already bought MGSV and planned to devote this opportunity to that game, but perhaps it suits bloodborne better, If so I pull the trigger for the GOTY edition during the current sale. Never played souls Before. Just know I recently just enjoy gameplayed focused games.

Is online co-op throghout the entire game a thing? This is an bad example, but only co-op Campaign I ever played was gow1 and the co-op aspect was ome of the Most beloved gaming experiences.

Should I devote this time to bloodborne istead of MGSV or is it a game I can enjoy from time to time later down the year of 2017?
As above, it's hard to tell if you will like it if you have never tried one. But from my limited pov- i was a huge fan of MGS and had not played any souls borne but bloodborne is my current game of the gen. You can probably alternate, actually - MGS V is a great game but because of its open world thing it's much easier to pick up and play than previous ones. And it has relatively slow plot so you don't risk forgetting what's going on. Added bonus: if your family is not around no one will hear you rage about losing to that fucking bloodborne boss *again* :)

A savage beast! I was actually scared of that one. It's such an evil monstrosity.
I'd heard of him being super difficult before I went in so he was doubly intimidating. He's just a flailing mass of hitboxes. I honestly don't even know where to begin. I can't remember the last time I fought a videogame boss where I just thought, nah, this isn't doable.

I'd heard of him being super difficult before I went in so he was doubly intimidating. He's just a flailing mass of hitboxes. I honestly don't even know where to begin. I can't remember the last time I fought a videogame boss where I just thought, nah, this isn't doable.

If you go some pages back, I was a blubbering mess of profanities and self-loathing because of Ludwig. You WILL perfect his move-set, it's just fucking hard.

By now, I can take him down almost every time when helping others out and can dodge pretty much every move. His set is just really large and difficult, but certainly nowhere near as chaotic as it seems the first who-knows-how-many times once you get to grips with it.

What REALLY helped me was to listen to the audio queues rather then the visual ones. It's deliberate I think that his audio queues are very distinct in this particular fight.

Also, go for the little crippled legs, those seem to be able to trigger visceral states easier (or maybe it's just the body behind it, I don' tknow but it worked for me). I also recommend a long weapon because he's a quick bastard and will get away from you easily within throwing a combo.

TIP: If he does the short jump, don't try to 'find' him with the camera, get the timing down instead. If he does the long, blood-drip-from-the-ceiling jump, start running in a straight line, don't try to be slick.

GeNoMe

Good god...finally got all the trophies. The one holding me back for almost a year was the hunter's essence one. Got held back by the two fish/shark hybrid in the well. TWO OF THEM! I got gut eventually and got the final weapon. Now I can finally rest. What a journey this has been!

The feel when you play through a super amazing level, collect 16k Souls and then die because you made one mistake... 😭

16k souls at the start is paintful, after A
melia
is quite trivial on the Lost woods

Good god...finally got all the trophies. The one holding me back for almost a year was the hunter's essence one. Got held back by the two fish/shark hybrid in the well. TWO OF THEM! I got gut eventually and got the final weapon. Now I can finally rest. What a journey this has been!

Now go into Dark Souls 2 and 3

GeNoMe

melia

Now go into Dark Souls 2 and 3

I started DS3 when it got released, I'm at the
Boreal dancer atm
And this fight is a bitch I tell you.

*edit* If I'm still thirsty after DS3. I'll def give DS1 and 2 a whirl as well.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just faced Ludwig for the first time. I am actually lost for words.
A savage beast! I was actually scared of that one. It's such an evil monstrosity.
If you go some pages back, I was a blubbering mess of profanities and self-loathing because of Ludwig. You WILL perfect his move-set, it's just fucking hard.
Now I feel like I should post my video of me fucking him up with the Beast Claws so bad that the 2nd phase music didn't even have time to fully kick in... XD

Defiled Hotdog and Amy were far worse, ugh

J2d

Can the cursed heavy abyssal gem come with 65str, 15phys AND increased stamina cost? I've been farming so fucking long for it and it's the reason I have ps plus but I have yet to find one :(

GAMEPROFF

Banned
melia

Thats exactly where I am am, in that left, optional area after her.
Super amazing location, loved it and its great to farm souls (unless you get to greedy).

To bad I cant play for the next couple of days :(

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Now I feel like I should post my video of me fucking him up with the Beast Claws so bad that the 2nd phase music didn't even have time to fully kick in... XD
Well fuck. I just checked my saved clips and... apparently, in the PS4 sharing, if you take a screenshot and THEN a video clip, it only records the clip at the moment you took the last screenshot, instead of the full 15 min? That's so lame. :( My boss fight is gone, booo.

Well here's the screenshot proving I did, in fact, destroy Ludwig effortlessly :p (only used 3 vials, and I normally heal really liberally):

1482529099-bloodborne-tm-20161219234253.png

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Anyone familiar with GenerationHollow on YouTube?

He's got a "blind play-through" series of Dark Souls III and Bloodborne. His ability to defeat or nearly defeat every boss on his first try is very impressive. Here he is against Ludwig, who gave me more trouble than and boss in Bloodborne or the Souls series period, and to see the guy learn the boss's patterns is impressive. He also came excruciatingly close to defeating Nameless King on his very first attempt. Soul of Cinder and Gehrwin he decimated with absolutely no trouble at all.

Griss

The Bloodborne GOTY edition is on sale in the EU.

I originally played with the standard disc release. Will my save work with the GOTY edition? I imagine it will. If not, the base game + DLC is pretty much the same price but I'd prefer to have it all in one file.

The Bloodborne GOTY edition is on sale in the EU.

I originally played with the standard disc release. Will my save work with the GOTY edition? I imagine it will. If not, the base game + DLC is pretty much the same price but I'd prefer to have it all in one file.

Your game files will be "updated" to DLC content, if you play on the standard disc it wont load your saves because of the lack of DLC.

Welp, even though I have a massive backlog of many great new 2016 releases, I started a new game of Bloodborne today. Watching ENB's current playthrough on Twitch made it too tempting and I've only ever done a full playthrough once before when it was first released (and have not played the DLC even though I bought it when it first came out). It's interesting to play it now having way more experience with these games, I'm a lot more confident and feel like I'm way better at parries and visceral attacks. I'm also using the axe and it definitely feels a little bit like easy mode, but I don't mind. Spin to win with the black knight halberd has always been my goto in the Souls games! Does anyone have any advice for a Strength/Arcane build? I know I want to try Ludwig's and the Whirligig.

Is it even worth having over 10 insight for most of the game? I know enemies become more difficult and new types of enemies spawn but is there any benefit of even having more than 10? I was thinking about just spending them overtime. Also any hints on how to avoid the Snatchers or beating them? I have to go through the Healing Church to get to Amelia but I'm absolutely not down to get kidnapped this early in the game after the horror stories I've heard about that area.

Best wishes.

I just got a Slim and I'm about to get this game while it's on sale as it's one of the main reasons I bought a PS4 since I really enjoyed DS3 and have heard lots of good things. Should I go ahead and buy the Old Hunters bundle?

Also, what's the recommended way to play? Normal play through then DLC in NG+? Or just start fresh after beating the normal game and begin DLC as soon as you can? I'm worried about the NG+ difficulty spike making the DLC near impossible. Any suggestions?

GonzoCR

I just got a Slim and I'm about to get this game while it's on sale as it's one of the main reasons I bought a PS4 since I really enjoyed DS3 and have heard lots of good things. Should I go ahead and buy the Old Hunters bundle?

Also, what's the recommended way to play? Normal play through then DLC in NG+? Or just start fresh after beating the normal game and begin DLC as soon as you can? I'm worried about the NG+ difficulty spike making the DLC near impossible. Any suggestions?

Save the DLC for endgame. The first time I went through it I killed the first boss at level 70 with a +8 weapon, so that should be more or less good enough. The DLC has some pretty insane scaling in NG+, nowhere near as bad as some people would have you believe, but still noticeable, so you should probably do it on your first playthrough. You also unlock it relatively early in the game, so you can do a suicide run to pick up weapons and armor.

Save the DLC for endgame. The first time I went through it I killed the first boss at level 70 with a +8 weapon, so that should be more or less good enough. The DLC has some pretty insane scaling in NG+, nowhere near as bad as some people would have you believe, but still noticeable, so you should probably do it on your first playthrough. You also unlock it relatively early in the game, so you can do a suicide run to pick up weapons and armor.

So you're saying I should do a suicide run as soon as I can for weapons, then come back to it before I beat the final boss of the regular game? Or do we have an option to not immediately start NG+?

GonzoCR

So you're saying I should do a suicide run as soon as I can for weapons, then come back to it before I beat the final boss of the regular game? Or do we have an option to not immediately start NG+?

The first. NG+ is just like Dark Souls I, it starts as soon as you beat the final boss. And yeah as soon as you can, DLC weapons are IMO much more fun to use than the vanilla ones.

i hate the Blood-starved Beast so much. started a new playthrough and just hit a brick wall with it. beat the cleric beast/gascoigne first try no problems which was a huge improvement over my first playthrough but I'm no better with the BSB. I'm totally out of bullets so can't parry and will soon be out of vials. In my last attempt I summoned Alfred and we were doing good but he died in the final stage. I just don't have the antidote to deal with the poison. I was so close. My character is lvl 34...my weapons are upgraded as far as i can get them right now. don't have access to twin bloodshards. got a couple bloodgems on them too.

the BSB was one of the few bosses to give me trouble in my first playthrough. if i can just get past it then i think i'll do well again for most of the game except towards the end.

aravuus

Fuck

Rom

I don't know what it is about this boss that makes it so hard for me. I've died like 3 or 4 times before this and I've even beaten a bunch of optional bosses and areas with relative ease, but nope, not Rom.

Other than that, this has been by far the most fun I've had with BB so far. I guess I can sort of appreciate it more after Dark Souls 3, which was a bit disappointing. The early game being super easy due to the fact that I've played the first couple of areas countless times helps.

e: holy shit, beat Amygdala on my first ever try, all alone. Thought I'd just go and check him out, ended up killing him lol.

aravuus

I think this game's finally gotten its hooks in me. Just came to work a couple of hours ago and all I can think of is what area I'm gonna tackle next in BB when I get home lol.

I keep seeing conflicting comments about the Old Hunters DLC, could/should I do it now or should I wait? I've just beaten The One Reborn, not sure what level I am, probably something like 80 (Vit 30, End/Str/Skl 25, using Ĺudwig's Holy Blade +7 I think).

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Do it whenever. Just know beating the final boss will end the game and jump you straight to new game plus. Probably recommended you beat the two areas directly after the one reborn, but you can probaly go to the dlc now and be fine. Usually when people go there early it to get some goodies like the Whirliegig saw.

I think this game's finally gotten its hooks in me. Just came to work a couple of hours ago and all I can think of is what area I'm gonna tackle next in BB when I get home lol.

I keep seeing conflicting comments about the Old Hunters DLC, could/should I do it now or should I wait? I've just beaten The One Reborn, not sure what level I am, probably something like 80 (Vit 30, End/Str/Skl 25, using Ĺudwig's Holy Blade +7 I think).

I recommend you to jump to the DLC, see what happens and raise up your weapons to +9 , there are good buch on materials on the DLC but the first boss can be a pain at your current +7 weapon

Can't you just transfer your save file on a USB drive, beat the game and then replace the save file so you can play the DLC before the final boss? At least that way you'll know what the ending is like without waiting longer due to the expansion being fairly long according to what I hear.

aravuus

Right, thanks for the replies! I'll see if I can handle the DLC area when I get home. Pretty excited to check out the new trick weapons, remember reading that they're a lot of fun and add a lot of highly needed variety to the game.

Can't you just transfer your save file on a USB drive, beat the game and then replace the save file so you can play the DLC before the final boss? At least that way you'll know what the ending is like without waiting longer due to the expansion being fairly long according to what I hear.

I'm not really in a hurry to finish the game, just wondering if I should check the DLC out now.

I recommend you to jump to the DLC, see what happens and raise up your weapons to +9 , there are good buch on materials on the DLC but the first boss can be a pain at your current +7 weapon

I jumped into the DLC at approximately this point as well, after being One Reborn. Seems like a very good moment to get into it actually lore-wise etc. as well I think. It flows well.

I would say definitely do Upper Cathedral Ward before the DLC if you haven't yet just for the lore/story whatever implications like I said.

The Forbidden Forrest and the graveyard with the witches are incredible good areas

That graveyard is under rated, one of my favorite areas in the game.
It's absolutely terrifying when you first get a view of it coming over the hill and the enemies are laughing and spinning in circles. When I think "Bloodborne," that's the memory I think of.

aravuus

OH yeah, the DLC areas have been fucking amazing. It's been a bit easier than I expected -
Ludwig
(do we still spoiler tag bosses? Either way, he was FUCKING AWESOME) and
Living Failures
(easy but annoying) went down on the first try, for example - but I've been loving the way everything looks and feels. I'll probably be finished with the area tomorrow, but at 9 euros, it's definitely been worth the money.

It's absolutely terrifying when you first get a view of it coming over the hill and the enemies are laughing and spinning in circles. When I think "Bloodborne," that's the memory I think of.

Absolutely love the area and the lore behind it. I've said it somewhere here before, but it truly looks like a fucking amazing 3D version of Castlevania III's early levels...check out this background and compare:

311215-castlevania-iii-dracula-s-curse-nes-screenshot-in-a-spooky.png

Also, they even have lore explaining the pipes exuding smoke around the area and all that, it's just fantastic, damn.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So fucking this.
I was really terrified when I left the short area with the gunmen and heared the laughing and chanting. Also loved the bossfight, which is definitly my favorite for now.

Where did you get that lore? I always try to look into every corner but I must have missed this.

Oh, that area also has the best bit of voice acting in the game.
The scream at the window near the start of the area is one of the more disturbing things I've heard in a game.

Where did you get that lore? I always try to look into every corner but I must have missed this.

If that's directed towards my previous, I honestly can't tell you right now where or how as it's been quite some time.

I know the pipes exuding smoke all over the place are explained somewhere as essentially being exhaust fumes of incinerators burning corpses. That attention to detail really stuck with me for some reason. The whole area is amazing and the building the boss fight takes place in is unreal in terms of design. It's too bad there wasn't more to it in terms of its interior.

EDIT: Brief, but still a fun read since we're on the topic. https://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/40xrrs/whats_the_lore_behind_hemwick_charnel_lane/

So fucking this.
I was really terrified when I left the short area with the gunmen and heared the laughing and chanting. Also loved the bossfight, which is definitly my favorite for now.

Something happened with that rural village, they fell into madness and started praying the great ones (due micolash influence I guess) they started experimented on their own by Micolash orders, excluding themselves from Bryenwerth and the Chorus at the point of capturing and experimenting with Hunters too. Those specific Witchers learned how to summon creatures from other planes by open their eyes boosted by several other eyes implanted in their own bodies to bear the weight of that insane knowledge

If you enter the town before Amelia you can talk to several NPCs in their houses waiting for the calling of Micolash , They knew the great ones summoning will be that night. we later found
the summoning was a complete failure

There is a Female NPC who already
transformed into a beast
telling you to leaver her alone.

After R
om
they fell into madness like most of the Yharmanites.

Top Bottom