• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
There are some broken railings that leave him exposed to drop attacks. I saw someone do it twice or three times during a Co-Op session so I in turn started doing it in Co-Op sessions as well, really fun actually.
Heh, just sounds like a waste of time to always climb back up and jump down when you can pretty much mash r1 at the bottom and win. :p

Got the BSB halfway down on my first try... oh well. What the hell are those black vortex things that spell instant death?

Oh, I can't wait... tee hee

Toxi

Banned
The Holy Moonlight Sword is soooooo gooooooood

I think this might be my favorite weapon. Its moveset is just so slick.

Got the BSB halfway down on my first try... oh well. What the hell are those black vortex things that spell instant death?
You'll learn soon enough.

cleared Nightmare Frontier this morning. Now to face Amygdala. I remember that if you stayed still when it jumped then it wouldn't do any damage to you when it landed. It took me a few tries so hopefully I can get it first time.

I beat Rom last night and the difficulty spike is real.. What the hell are those chest skeletons with a thousands eyes? I can't even get to the One Reborn without getting destroyed or with half my vials. Lost against it on my first try after getting it's health low and being out of vials. Maybe I'm under leveled? I'm level 48 currently.

Not sure if I'm digging the massive shift in tone. I thought I was hunting beasts? Those giant creatures freak me the hell out too.

SkylineRKR

I beat Rom last night and the difficulty spike is real.. What the hell are those chest skeletons with a thousands eyes? I can't even get to the One Reborn without getting destroyed or with half my vials. Lost against it on my first try after getting it's health low and being out of vials. Maybe I'm under leveled? I'm level 48 currently.

Not sure if I'm digging the massive shift in tone. I thought I was hunting beasts? Those giant creatures freak me the hell out too.

Its an easy boss, but the way to it is hard.

The closest lamp is above IIRC, you have to cross the bridge with the enemy, get down and just run past all those chests to the boss plaza.

For that boss you have to deal with those conjurers above first, they'll pepper you otherwise. The boss himself can be hit at the legs I think, and get out when it spits acid all over the floor.

cleared Nightmare Frontier this morning. Now to face Amygdala. I remember that if you stayed still when it jumped then it wouldn't do any damage to you when it landed. It took me a few tries so hopefully I can get it first time.
If you stay under her leg and hit her tail you'll never get hit but you also barely damage her so it will take some time.

Heh, just sounds like a waste of time to always climb back up and jump down when you can pretty much mash r1 at the bottom and win. :p

I mean I guess but that can apply to any flourish that doesn't help beating something as fast as possible I suppose. Especially on subsequent Co-Op sessions, I like to indulgent whatever ridiculous ways I can come up with haha. I take my sweet ass time anyway in general, I think I spent 60+ hours on my first playthrough...

cj_iwakura

C1BW1j0UQAEOI85.jpg

Working on the next area(s) now... the Cathedral boss wrecked me. Feels way harder than BSB, but easier to read.

Just did a suicide run to get the Whirligig Saw early, right after I beat Amelia. Finally making it was so satisfying but my hands are shaking lol. I tried to do Hemwick right after but my nerves are shot and I kept getting overly confident and killed by the stupid rifle dudes on the way there. Time for a break!

jerry5278

Neo Member
Just did a suicide run to get the Whirligig Saw early, right after I beat Amelia. Finally making it was so satisfying but my hands are shaking lol. I tried to do Hemwick right after but my nerves are shot and I kept getting overly confident and killed by the stupid rifle dudes on the way there. Time for a break!

How do you get the stuff for the whirligig saw?

How do you get the stuff for the whirligig saw?

Beat Vicar Amelia so you can enter the DLC area and then you basically just suicide run to it. There are YouTube videos that show the route. You sort of have to take it in stages if you're really low level (open the shortcuts, lighting the second lantern) and it takes practice because the enemies are no joke. Once you reach it, it's yours -- you don't need to purchase it like you do when you find badges for earlier weapons.

chrixter

About to jump into the DLC, right before Wet Nurse. I feel disappointed by Bloodborne's bosses. I'm not talking pure difficulty but more overall design, presentation, and how fun they were for me to fight. Cleric Beast, Gascoigne, and Blood-starved Beast made for an incredible opening stretch. But everything since has ranged from poor to merely good in my eyes.

Still really enjoying it overall. It's just a shame about the bosses because I've loved nearly everything else about the game. I hear The Old Hunters has some quality bosses so I'm hoping it delivers.

Beat Amygdala last night. Was drunk so I'm surprised I did it lol. Went to the Upper Cathedral Ward and just couldn't get over the bridge to the lantern. Done that area today though. Now I'm at Ebrietas and having trouble. Beat her 1st try in my 1st playthrough.

About to jump into the DLC, right before Wet Nurse. I feel disappointed by Bloodborne's bosses. I'm not talking pure difficulty but more overall design, presentation, and how fun they were for me to fight. Cleric Beast, Gascoigne, and Blood-starved Beast made for an incredible opening stretch. But everything since has ranged from poor to merely good in my eyes.

Still really enjoying it overall. It's just a shame about the bosses because I've loved nearly everything else about the game. I hear The Old Hunters has some quality bosses so I'm hoping it delivers.
Most of the DLC bosses are amazing.

Well, heh. This game never stops to surprise me. As I play it blindly and cannot even say what is DLC and how to enter it. I only know due to "hardest Souls boss ever" threads that it features Ludwig boss.

So I was going though the game normally and writing down all the places that I should go and check. As I was backtracking through the very first area - because the sky changed after I beat one boss and new monsters appeared while old monsters changed their behaviour meaning: you better check all maps again for new stuff - I talked to the denizens in the city once again and, suprise, surprise!, they gave me an item (Tonsil Stone). Remembering the place with the "bowl" and closed door I immediately ran outside Grand Cathedral to check it again.

Lo & behold I am transferred to some Nightmare Lecture Building. I peek around and see a door at the end of the hallway so I go there. Another new area - Nightmare Frontier! Monsters were kind of "okayish" for me to kill even the giants that throw rocks - nothing out of ordinary for a LVL42 Hunter with a +5 Weapon (Axe).

So I spend some time there and suddenly remember that there was another place were this Gigantic Phantom was grabbing me - it was close to some tree in Cathedral Ward.

So I backtrack AGAIN through the maps only to find Henryk fighting the Crow Hunter! Wow!

After helping him I get to the tree and, as sure as I thought, am transported to Hunter's Nightmare. Okay, let's check this area out...

...mother. of. fuck...

... killer skinned dogs...

... killer Hunters EVERYWHERE...

... killer mini-gun wielding Hunter...

... killer huge-ass axe wielding Mindflayers...

... killer Crows with 800 HP all of a sudden...

...and worst of this all...

...motherfucking LUDWIG boss!!!

I was so happy that I discovered this area on my own and got to this boss unlocking the shortcut and finding the 2nd bonfire in there. Of course he wrecked me so I spent the last 2 hours just running through his area and gathering loot:

- all the fancy weapons like: Circular Saw, Boomhammer, Armygala (?) Arm etc.
- some Bloodstone Chunks that I cannot even use yet cause I am missing couple of Twin Blood Shards
- Butcher's Set, Constable's Set (can't find his headgear only), Old Hunter's Set

Now I know this is the DLC area (thanks to Ludwig's appearance) so I can go back and ascend Oedon Chapel :) Seriously thinking about upgrading some of the DLC weapons cause they just look so damn cool and cost 30 000 souls vs 3000 for Kirkhammer so they must be GREAT when upgraded.

Welp if you read the hunters eye , it tells you where to go but I agree, discovering hidden areas on your own is a great feeling in gaming

Toxi

Banned
Me: I'm gonna actually put in some effort in the character creator and make a great looking face this time.

*An hour later*

Me: Oh my God, what is this hideous fish-lipped Demon's Souls-looking monster?

So I backtrack AGAIN through the maps only to find Henryk fighting the Crow Hunter! Wow!

After helping him I get to the tree and, as sure as I thought, am transported to Hunter's Nightmare. Okay, let's check this area out...
I'm hoping this is a typo and you didn't just kill Eileen the Crow. :-(

- Butcher's Set, Constable's Set (can't find his headgear only), Old Hunter's Set.
The headgear for that set requires interacting with a certain NPC (who's oddly found in the Forbidden Woods and not the DLC) and doing co-op with the rune he gives you.

Beat Ebrietas and Martyr Logarius. He gave me so much trouble in my first playthrough and I ended up summoning another player. Got him on my 2nd try! Also just defeated Micolash who is another boss I needed help with. I found him quite easy this time. The only attack that caused me bother was that one where he fires multiple arcane shots around the room. I figured out if I rolled in towards him then I'd be less likely to get hit and would usually land right behind him letting me get a good few hits into him.

I'm quite proud of myself to get this far without doing any co-op. I'm currently lvl 90 (31/30/31/26/14/8) and my cleaver is at +10 and the pistol is at +9. Decided to ditch my ashen/yahargul gear mix up and now all hunter gear.

I think I will try take on the dlc now before going to find the Wet Nurse.

chrixter

Damn, Orphan of Kos might be my favorite boss fight in the entire series. The design, setting, difficulty, music -- just awesome. I tend to prefer smaller, hyper aggressive, highly mobile bosses so this was exactly what I like.

cj_iwakura

Absolutely wrecked Amelia after a lucky run with my fire paper cane, felt great.

(I'm doing most of these solo since I'm offline, no Plus. :( )

A little unsure of where to go next. I think I haven't fully explored the Hemwick Lane? There's also that terrifying electric boss in the hidden village...

A lot of irritatingly sealed doors in assorted areas.

Absolutely wrecked Amelia after a lucky run with my fire paper cane, felt great.

(I'm doing most of these solo since I'm offline, no Plus. :( )

A little unsure of where to go next. I think I haven't fully explored the Hemwick Lane? There's also that terrifying electric boss in the hidden village...

A lot of irritatingly sealed doors in assorted areas.
Did you check
the altar in the Amelia boss room
?

Paarl can be done at any time, but don't leave it too late or it will be an absolute joke of a fight.

Decided to just do Wet Nurse first before the DLC. Levelled up a bit too. Now at lvl 96 (34/30/34/26/14/8). I put the 2 moon runes on that I have and just ran up the area between mergos middle lantern and where the wet nurse boss is. All those giant pigs/shadow of yharnam got me about 160,000 echoes.

Wet Nurse was yet another boss I summoned help for in my first playthrough but not this time! Did it first try. Actually quite an easy boss. I just stayed behind it, applied fire paper to my +10 cleaver, and just kept hitting into it. The shadow sections were straight forward too...just run in a circle. Despite that my heart was still pounding.

Nothing else to do now so off to start the DLC.

Anura

So any advice for shadows of yarnam during a level 10 playthrough? I've just been running around with the blades of mercy and doing hit and run heavy attacks. Really dull fight that can end in an instant if the AI feels like it.

I might just restart this character anyways because I kinda ruined the lv10 part. After I beat Ludwig I kinda leveled up enough to use the moonlight great sword. It doesn't really effect anything other than being able to use it as I still die super early but I feel like it ruins the run on principle

The password... Password... Password... Heh heh heh heh heh...

He dead.

So any advice for shadows of yarnam during a level 10 playthrough? I've just been running around with the blades of mercy and doing hit and run heavy attacks. Really dull fight that can end in an instant if the AI feels like it.

I might just restart this character anyways because I kinda ruined the lv10 part. After I beat Ludwig I kinda leveled up enough to use the moonlight great sword. It doesn't really effect anything other than being able to use it as I still die super early but I feel like it ruins the run on principle

Lure the melee guy behind the big tombstone and kill him, then focus the caster guy since BoM wont let him any space to cast anything , left the melee/cast to the last

My first run was BL4 (pure masochism, I gave up after Wet Nurse) and the SoY was my first big stumbling block. It wasn't until I switched from the saw cleaver to the hunter axe that I had a better time with them. Now I've faced them many more times though, I'm not sure it matters what weapon you use as long as you're happy with the moveset.

I agree with Orochinagis that you should take out the melee guys first. It's tempting to kill the caster first but as long as you don't hang around in one place for too long I think it's easier to deal with him last as he's the easiest to kill once alone.

Maybe save a beast blood pellet for after the first guy is down so that taking out the second one is as short as possible, so you never even get to see the snakes.

Its an easy boss, but the way to it is hard.

The closest lamp is above IIRC, you have to cross the bridge with the enemy, get down and just run past all those chests to the boss plaza.

For that boss you have to deal with those conjurers above first, they'll pepper you otherwise. The boss himself can be hit at the legs I think, and get out when it spits acid all over the floor.

Yup, I beat the One Reborn the other night and it was a fairly trivial fight once I managed to get past a lot of those annoying mobs and take care of those witches above. Game is getting weirder and weirder now though. Hopefully I'll manage to beat it before the end of the month.

Best wishes.

Anura

My first run was BL4 (pure masochism, I gave up after Wet Nurse) and the SoY was my first big stumbling block. It wasn't until I switched from the saw cleaver to the hunter axe that I had a better time with them. Now I've faced them many more times though, I'm not sure it matters what weapon you use as long as you're happy with the moveset.

I agree with Orochinagis that you should take out the melee guys first. It's tempting to kill the caster first but as long as you don't hang around in one place for too long I think it's easier to deal with him last as he's the easiest to kill once alone.

Maybe save a beast blood pellet for after the first guy is down so that taking out the second one is as short as possible, so you never even get to see the snakes.

He dead.

Lure the melee guy behind the big tombstone and kill him, then focus the caster guy since BoM wont let him any space to cast anything , left the melee/cast to the last

Thanks for the advice guys. I beat a little while ago them by doing the same hit and run tactics and keep both the caster and melee guys hp the same. When phase two started both were already weak so I took out the caster using the same tactics as before and then finished off the melee with Molotovs. After all that I just rolled locked the last one with BoM. He seems to be programmed to roll after every hit so he didn't get to do much. I was trying to kill the melee guy first for awhile but this worked better for me I think. The melee and melee casters tend to group up and it's difficult to find a safe spot to attack once the second phase rolls around

Toxi

Banned
Ludwig
is kicking my ass.

Again.

I love this game.
You know...Ebrietas is only really hard in the Chalice dungeon and your first time dealing with her.
It really depends on your damage output. If you have Thrust damage, fight is much easier.

Ludwig
is kicking my ass.

Again.

I love this game.

It really depends on your damage output. If you have Thrust damage, fight is much easier.
This was my fight with Ebrietas today. +10 Pizza Cutter with bolt paper. You don't need thrust damage, just good damage output.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUtt3MCyfHo
My many fights with Isz chalice Ebrietas here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM-fQqyeLrY
Here's another fight with Ebrietas with my second character Skill/bloodtinge most likely +10 Chikage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEgl5WnPYfo
Like as long as you got the damage output for her the story version is simple. She isn't a challenge till the chalice version for some odd reason.

Got Bloodbourne on the cheap.

Have never played a Souls game or Souls-like before. It was mostly the setting and art that made me take the plunge on BB.

Any starter tips as far as builds or youtube channels to look at that will help me understand the workings of the systems would be great.

I know part of the fun is uncovering the riddle of what everything does, but given this is acting as 'baby's first souls game' for me, straight explanations for everything off the bat might be helpful.

Thanks! :)

Have never played a Souls game or Souls-like before. It was mostly the setting and art that made me take the plunge on BB.

Any starter tips as far as builds or youtube channels to look at that will help me understand the workings of the systems would be great.

I know part of the fun is uncovering the riddle of what everything does, but given this is acting as 'baby's first souls game' for me, straight explanations for everything off the bat might be helpful.

-Starter choice doesnt matter at the end so choose one you like
-Starter weapon doesnt matter too, try every weapon you find and upgrade the one you like
-The game features autosaving so every acting have consecuences, every npc can be killed by friendly fire so be careful and try to talk to any person you can find
-Some nps are inside their house try pressing X on doors and windows
-Use blood echoes to upgrade your weapons or buy armor, dont save it unless you have a certan item in mind
-Most of the enemies are beasts, which are super weak to fire, use molotovs and fire paper without remorse
-The game favors aggresive gameplay, if you get hit dont get afraid and attack your enemy, you can self health if you land enough hits after getting hit.
-You gun can stagger and stun enemies if shoot right after they started an attack , you can hear a sound indicating you can do a visceral move.
-Explore, die and keep exploring, you will die a lot but thats how you learn to play the game

As someone whose first real Souls experience was Bloodborne, (and almost being done with the game myself), these are my thoughts and recommendations to get you started from the perspective of a beginner who managed to get pretty far.

- Don't be afraid to die and lose your echoes. Learn this early the game so you don't get discouraged and lose your mind if you lose the echoes later in the game. Echoes come and go, it's not a big deal. I also suggest to spend your echoes on leveling up once you can and whatever that's leftover, use it to buy blood vials.

- Learn to parry early against the mobs near the bonfire at the beginning of the game, (you'll know when you see it). Learn to parry almost every enemy you face early in the game. Eventually you'll want to do this as the game goes on.

- I suggest you explore on your own to get the best experience over using YouTube or a guide. Only do it if you get stuck. This is an Action RPG game but it has a lot of horror elements to it and you'll lose that feeling of euphoria when you accomplish something on your own.

- If you die too much, or expect that you'll die a lot, pick a background with a lot of vitality. If not, try to get something with a lot of strength or skill, (I suggest strength which I will explain in a bit)

- You can level up after the first boss, (win or lose) and you can farm for echoes to level up however you want. If you get more strength, weapons that have better strength ratings will get stronger, and vice versa with skill. So you can always change your mind halfway through the game once you unlock more stuff. Don't be afraid to experiment with which stat you want to focus on (strength weapons, skill weapons or even arcane).

- My personal recommendation is Saw Cleaver or use Hunter Axe and find the Saw Spear as your secondary. The Cane is essentially hard mode in an already tough game. You can get all these three weapons by finding a badge in the first area of the game, if you don't like your choice. The cleaver is good against beasts, (which is what you'll fight a lot in the first third of the game) and the hunter axe is fantastic against mobs of enemies and useful throughout the whole game. This is why I suggest strength as you'll have the upper hand in damage from the start.

- Don't be afraid and don't give up. Learn from your mistakes. This isn't like Demon's Souls, you're the hunter not the hunted.

Best wishes.

In addition to above, I would also add about leveling up your characters stats: Soulsborne games have the system where your weapon does more damage output when you level up the character stats it scales with.

Concentrate on leveling up your HP and the stat(s) your weapon damage scales with (this is the letter grading found on each weapons stats page in your inventory).

I wouldn't bother leveling up stamina (the green bar) maybe at all, but definately not until later game. Bloodborne is very generous compared to the other Souls games with stamina use. On that note, also make sure you never run out of stamina. If your stamina bar gives you 5 hits on your weapon before you run out, do 4 hits so you always have that little bit left in case you need to dodge out of the way.

Top Bottom