• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Can people stop referring to the cane as "hard mode." Once you realize how to use it gives you a great option for distance based crowd control, especially with those god damn crows and spiders. I platinumed the game with a cane character so it's not an impossible build.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Many people in this thread swear by the cane, actually. It's most definitely not hard mode and the whip form's combination of range and speed is borderline overpowered against groups of smaller enemies.

I'd say it starts off kind of lacking in damage, but gets really good after a few upgrades. To me, it's one of the best weapons in the game.

Many people in this thread swear by the cane, actually. It's most definitely not hard mode and the whip form's combination of range and speed is borderline overpowered against groups of smaller enemies.

I'd say it starts off kind of lacking in damage, but gets really good after a few upgrades. To me, it's one of the best weapons in the game.
So much this. It also allows you to hit the heads of various bosses in the game. It might not have the stagger of the LHB, but I swear by it more than the LHB...LHB ain't got shit on the Pizza Cutter though.

started the DLC today. should i join that new covenant that the guy in the forbidden woods asks me to join?

i got as far as the cathedral doors after that giant executioner comes out. god i hate him. other than that the area wasn't as hard as expected. i got all the old hunter gear and wearing the hat now. it looks cool. what i'm not sure of though is why some of the enemies back off when i get near them...just surprised me since that's the first it's happened in the entire game.

now at lvl 97. i didn't enter the cathedral because i thought it was a boss fight and i didn't want to lose all the echoes i had. gonna go back up there and see what happens.

started the DLC today. should i join that new covenant that the guy in the forbidden woods asks me to join?

i got as far as the cathedral doors after that giant executioner comes out. god i hate him. other than that the area wasn't as hard as expected. i got all the old hunter gear and wearing the hat now. it looks cool. what i'm not sure of though is why some of the enemies back off when i get near them...just surprised me since that's the first it's happened in the entire game.

now at lvl 97. i didn't enter the cathedral because i thought it was a boss fight and i didn't want to lose all the echoes i had. gonna go back up there and see what happens.
You're going to want to join that. The summon right before the first DLC boss makes that boss a lot easier to manage. I don't think you want that....thing fully aggroed solely on you.

Can people stop referring to the cane as "hard mode." Once you realize how to use it gives you a great option for distance based crowd control, especially with those god damn crows and spiders. I platinumed the game with a cane character so it's not an impossible build.

I didn't literally mean it was hard mode, but compared to the early usefulness of the Cleaver and the general great use throughout the game of the Hunter Axe, it's definitely the starter weapon that won't give as many benefits early game, especially for a new player. It's definitely the coolest of the bunch though.

Again, you can choose to ignore what I said and use the Cane if you like. Or you can just use the Cane later once you find the badge near the bridge. The game gives you many options on how you want to tackle it. Those were just my general tips from the perspective of a newcomer to the series myself.

Best wishes.

I didn't literally mean it was hard mode, but compared to the early usefulness of the Cleaver and the general great use throughout the game of the Hunter Axe, it's definitely the starter weapon that won't give as many benefits early game, especially for a new player. It's definitely the coolest of the bunch though.

Again, you can choose to ignore what I said and use the Cane if you like. Or you can just use the Cane later once you find the badge near the bridge. The game gives you many options on how you want to tackle it. Those were just my general tips from the perspective of a newcomer to the series myself.

Best wishes.
It's only really a bad weapon early on if you pick a starting class with horrible skill stats. All the weapons in the beginning are viable to end game, I just think scaling wise the cane scales the best compared to the cleaver and hunters axe. With my most current character I used the axe till I got the Pizza Cutter and dropped the axe like a bad habit. I just think the cane supplements pretty much every weapon in the game as long as it doesn't run counter to your build.

It's only really a bad weapon early on if you pick a starting class with horrible skill stats. All the weapons in the beginning are viable to end game, I just think scaling wise the cane scales the best compared to the cleaver and hunters axe. With my most current character I used the axe till I got the Pizza Cutter and dropped the axe like a bad habit. I just think the cane supplements pretty much every weapon in the game as long as it doesn't run counter to your build.
I'm having a hard time choosing between the cane and the Rakuyo. Both are awesome.

I'm having a hard time choosing between the cane and the Rakuyo. Both are awesome.
I think my skill/arcane character has the Rakuyo, Burial Blade and Blades of Mercy at +10, combo is so good. I think I need to get my Skill/Bloodtinge character further in the NG+ DLC so I can get the bloodletter...then again that's a strength scaling weapon isn't it? It's like you have to run so many different characters to get access to the dlc weapons.

I think my skill/arcane character has the Rakuyo, Burial Blade and Blades of Mercy at +10, combo is so good. I think I need to get my Skill/Bloodtinge character further in the NG+ DLC so I can get the bloodletter...then again that's a strength scaling weapon isn't it? It's like you have to run so many different characters to get access to the dlc weapons.
If you don't care about the PVP then you can just lvl up your main character you know... Most of my points went for skill but I also have 37 strength if I remember correctly (around lvl 240).

If you don't care about the PVP then you can just lvl up your main character you know... Most of my points went for skill but I also have 37 strength if I remember correctly (around lvl 240).
That kind of stat grinding seems impossible to me. I think I have a level 170 character but I can never remember. I also think my Skill/Arcane character is in the 140's but that's after the dlc and a lot of chalice dungeons. I bow out from the chalice dungeons after a certain point. I think I have a depth 4 or 5 defiled Loran chalice or something somewhere and there's no way in fuck I'm finishing it.

Akuun

For PvE, the two work well together but I think there is some overlap in their functions. The cane's whip form is better for spacing and outranging enemies, or taking on groups of enemies. Both forms of the Rakuyo pretty much replace the sword form of the cane.

Though the cane has the advantage of punishing with the whip form for the first hit, then L1-ing to follow up the first whip hit with a fast sword hit or two.

Both are awesome , both works for PVE so is more like your playstile and how much you are confortable with dodging. Rakuyo requires a lot of movemento to make it work while the cane is more for group control with zero burst damage

You're going to want to join that. The summon right before the first DLC boss makes that boss a lot easier to manage. I don't think you want that....thing fully aggroed solely on you.

i went back and spoke to him. got the rune and staff off him. i'll summon him for the fight. i'm almost at the boss area now i think.

Am I lame for still preferring the saw-cleaver? I feel the mood of Bloodborne is best when I'm using weapons that feel like they were nailed together in a tool-shed.

Toxi

Banned
Am I lame for still preferring the saw-cleaver? I feel the mood of Bloodborne is best when I'm using weapons that feel like they were nailed together in a tool-shed.
Nah, Saw Cleaver's a cool weapon. It's a cross between a saw blade and a meat cleaver for crying out loud.

Akuun

Nah it's cool. It's set up as one of the most standard hunter weapons because it's good.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Once you know how to parry them...or just dodge their attacks decently they go down quick enough. Also helps if you're leveled up properly for them. I think I usually have like a +6 before I fight them these days.
About to reach Level 50 soon... Problem is that I am occupied with the fireball shadow most the time and am a bit wasted when I am about to fight the other two.

Almost got it the second last time I tried to defeat him. He even entered the last phase...

I think I will explore the dungeons now, level up to 60 and try to power up my weapon and then try it again.

About to reach Level 50 soon... Problem is that I am occupied with the fireball shadow most the time and am a bit wasted when I am about to fight the other two.

Almost got it the second last time I tried to defeat him. He even entered the last phase...

I think I will explore the dungeons now, level up to 60 and try to power up my weapon and then try it again.
It also helps that I go through the dungeons as I'm going through the story. I think I save the later ones for NG+ though.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It also helps that I go through the dungeons as I'm going through the story. I think I save the later ones for NG+ though.

I didnt completly understood what these remaining gravestones are for until a couple of days ago, I thought they were Story Gravestones.

But I am amazed how good and atmospheric they look like, I only entered the most easiest yet, but it looks really fine. I guess for leveling up they will serve their purpose.

I didnt completly understood what these remaining gravestones are for until a couple of days ago, I thought they were Story Gravestones.

But I am amazed how good and atmospheric they look like, I only entered the most easiest yet, but it looks really fine. I guess for leveling up they will serve their purpose.
Chalice Dungeons are easy until about...I think Lower Hintertomb...it's at least manageable depending on your level. Once you hit Lower Pthumeru and beyond they become quite difficult.

Right after Hintertomb and maybe Loran are like NG+ difficulty
With Loran you need preparation, that's for damn sure, at least a +9 weapon but +10 helps a lot. Once you hit Abhorrent Beast you need the damage output badly. Hintertomb 1 isn't too bad. Lower Pthumeru I think I flew through with my current character cause I'm no stranger to it, but if you fetid rot that chalice then that shit's going to HURT. I actually like the chalice dungeons, but if you go in unprepared your fucked. I was watching ENB do them at some stupid ass low levels and god damn he felt some pain and I think flat out quit for the time being. Dude only made it through some on skill and coop.

With Loran you need preparation, that's for damn sure, at least a +9 weapon but +10 helps a lot. Once you hit Abhorrent Beast you need the damage output badly. Hintertomb 1 isn't too bad. Lower Pthumeru I think I flew through with my current character cause I'm no stranger to it, but if you fetid rot that chalice then that shit's going to HURT. I actually like the chalice dungeons, but if you go in unprepared your fucked. I was watching ENB do them at some stupid ass low levels and god damn he felt some pain and I think flat out quit for the time being. Dude only made it through some on skill and coop.

Yeah, ENB kinda threw a tantrum about it and hasn't played Bloodborne in a couple weeks. It sort of sucks because the original intention of his streaming it was to discuss lore but then he got sidetracked by trying to do low level Chalice runs, which aren't even that interesting when they're going well. I wish he'd just get back to it and focus on the main game again. He hasn't even gotten to Rom yet.

cj_iwakura

fb0.jpg
I had this interpreted ALL wrong, lol.

Toxi

Banned
Man, playing through the DLC again,
Research Hall
is probably the best designed area From Software has ever made. From both an aesthetic and gameplay standpoint.

Yeah, ENB kinda threw a tantrum about it and hasn't played Bloodborne in a couple weeks. It sort of sucks because the original intention of his streaming it was to discuss lore but then he got sidetracked by trying to do low level Chalice runs, which aren't even that interesting when they're going well. I wish he'd just get back to it and focus on the main game again. He hasn't even gotten to Rom yet.
I know he hit a brick wall on level one Defiled Chalice. I wonder if he managed to finish Loran though. Abhorrent Beast can be hard if you don't have the health or damage for it. I'll have to check his Twitch to see if I can see all of his progress. Dude did Chalice Rom before actual Rom. I was like Dude what are you doing? Felt bad for his coop partners. I would not do those higher dungeons at that low of a level.
Man, playing through the DLC again,
Research Hall
is probably the best designed area From Software has ever made. From both an aesthetic and gameplay standpoint.
That area is so fucking creepy.

Research Hall
is better. There's more shit to do, the enemies and obstacles are more interesting, and it doesn't have the ridiculous forced death sequence.

Eh, I give you there are more things to do because is more like a tower with hidden stuff to explore and the patients there gives a creepy and interesting enviroment

About the death secuence, the Chosen Undead die several times in the game, I guess the devs needed a example to show Seath inmortality but failed to show or express it without recurring to cutscenes. In other hand the Hunter never actually die in game.

Sayad

About the death secuence, the Chosen Undead die several times in the game, I guess the devs needed a example to show Seath inmortality but failed to show or express it without recurring to cutscenes. In other hand the Hunter never actually die in game.
He does though! Your first visit to the hunters dream is supposed to be from dying, so is the first visit to the village, and NPCs do bring up the cycle a few times, just no mandatory deaths, I guess.

He does though! Your first visit to the hunters dream is supposed to be from dying, so is the first visit to the village, and NPCs do bring up the cycle a few times, just no mandatory deaths, I guess.

Nope, he is just sent to the dream because of the contract you made at the start , you actually have to go to the dream via lamp.

Sayad

Nope, he is just sent to the dream because of the contract you made at the start , you actually have to go to the dream via lamp you dont really have to die to go there
That's what "not mandatory" mean yes! You're not meant to go to dream first time, first play through from the lamp, not when you have no weapons with quite a few encounters on the way.

And repeated deaths cycle is a thing in BB just as it was for the undead in DS, it's even mentioned several times by NPCs!

Nev

Banned
Wasn't Duke's Archives part of the "terrible second half" of Dark Souls? How is it being used as an example of good design now? I guess the stupid meme is finally dying off for the better, because the only area that is actually mediocre in Dark Souls is Lost Izalith.

Avoid NG+ Larry if you can. NG+ Larry is one bad dude... (well, maybe I am just one bad player...)

Laurence in NG3 was the most frustrating and difficult boss ever for me. He's the hardest boss in the entire series as far as I'm concerned.

Top Bottom