• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

What is Bloodborne-GAF thinking about Nioh?

I sunk about 20 hours into each demo and it's hands down my most anticipated upcoming game. It feels like a hybrid of Ninja Gaiden, Demon's Souls and the first Tenchu game to me. The combat is very deep and weighty with customizable combos and so on. It definitely leans on Souls games heavily for some aspects, but the combat and mission structure is much closer to character Action games.

Also, there's dismemberment and a shitload of loot options. Overall, I downloaded the Alpha with the expectation of maybe playing a decent-at-best Souls knockoff but instead it feels like the team really understood where those games are coming from, took that and ran with it in their own direction. In short, it's fucking great from what I've played.

Mr. Hyde

I started playing this game two nights ago. I just beat
father g
and
blood starved beast
last night. I think this game has ruined action games for me. They will forever be held on a high pedestal. I started demon souls and dark souls 1 ages ago but never got past the first part for some reason. This one lured me in right from the beginning due to its Lovecraft aesthetic. Brilliant. Can't decide if I want to play dark souls 3 or ni oh after I finish it. Or just replay it again.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Wasn't Duke's Archives part of the "terrible second half" of Dark Souls? How is it being used as an example of good design now? I guess the stupid meme is finally dying off for the better, because the only area that is actually mediocre in Dark Souls is Lost Izalith.
Duke's Archives was probably the best part of the second half of Dark Souls. Lost Izalith was garbage and Tomb of the Giants was hit or miss, depending on who you ask.

Wasn't Duke's Archives part of the "terrible second half" of Dark Souls? How is it being used as an example of good design now? I guess the stupid meme is finally dying off for the better, because the only area that is actually mediocre in Dark Souls is Lost Izalith.

tenor.gif

Then again, I don't even think Lost Izalith is anywhere close to bad. I really enjoy the atmosphere of it and the dinosaur ass part is pretty brief, everything after that I like. Wait, well Bed of Chaos can go fuck itself, but the level itself I dig.

I started playing this game two nights ago. I just beat
father g
and
blood starved beast
last night. I think this game has ruined action games for me. They will forever be held on a high pedestal. I started demon souls and dark souls 1 ages ago but never got past the first part for some reason. This one lured me in right from the beginning due to its Lovecraft aesthetic. Brilliant. Can't decide if I want to play dark souls 3 or ni oh after I finish it. Or just replay it again.
Make sure to download the dlc and trust me you'll restart the game the moment you beat it.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Duke's Archives was probably the best part of the second half of Dark Souls. Lost Izalith was garbage and Tomb of the Giants was hit or miss, depending on who you ask.

They were all trash. Dukes Archives looked the same 80% of the time, the biggest mistake a game can make in level design. Besides the basement area with Pisacas its so forgettable.

Then again, I don't even think Lost Izalith is anywhere close to bad. I really enjoy the atmosphere of it and the dinosaur ass part is pretty brief, everything after that I like. Wait, well Bed of Chaos can go fuck itself, but the level itself I dig.
There's not enough of it. If there was more to LI it would be great. But between it's brevity, the cut and paste enemies (all those fire breathing statues as well as the dragon butts) and BoC it's a poor show. The look of the place I've no problem with, from the outside dome to the Angkor Wat inspiration - very cool idea.

myco666

Only stupid meme in Souls is that "Dark Souls 2 is garbage".

Really good game but I still kinda wish TN would just make character action game.

It is so good that I always skip it. It has some redeeming qualities but I rather use 50 humanties (or whatever the amount was) to skip it entirely.

I mean yeah I get that in theory Lost Izalith isn't too hot compared to the rest of the game but I always quite liked it because it was so different, length, visuals and all. I honestly have fond memories of pretty much every area in the game from my first playthrough, I can't help it.

What I can't see is someone calling a level like Duke's Archives flat out 'trash'. I mean more power to you if you dislike it, but 'trash'?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I mean yeah I get that in theory Lost Izalith isn't too hot compared to the rest of the game but I always quite liked it because it was so different, length, visuals and all. I honestly have fond memories of pretty much every area in the game from my first playthrough, I can't help it.

What I can't see is someone calling a level like Duke's Archives flat out 'trash'. I mean more power to you if you dislike it, but 'trash'?

Whats so good about it?

I guess you're right, its not that bad compared to what comes after. Having to navigate on invisible platforms is the stupidest idea the series has ever had. Im glad they never brought that gimmick back.

I barely had time to try the demos, but I was able to pre-order it for $30 when Best Buy was offering a discount if you use Visa Checkout. Considering all the praise it got and my desire for another Souls-like game in 2017, I'm happy to bite at that price.

Toxi

Banned
The only problem with Bloodborne is the lack of fat armor. The fattest you can get is, what, the Executioner set? I need my Smough/Turtle Knight/Winged Knight armor From.
Catacombs and New Londo weren't bad either.
Whats so good about it?

I guess you're right, its not that bad compared to what comes after. Having to navigate on invisible platforms is the stupidest idea the series has ever had. Im glad they never brought that gimmick back.
They actually did in Dark Souls 3, though in a much less prominent context.

i'm lvl 103 now! i've cleared up to the first boss in the DLC but don't feel ready to take him on yet even though i'm probably way over leveled. i equipped all 3 moon runes and ran from mergos middle lantern to just before the boss area a few times. i'm getting about 130,000 souls each time and it takes about half that to level up at the moment.

i'm lvl 103 now! i've cleared up to the first boss in the DLC but don't feel ready to take him on yet even though i'm probably way over leveled. i equipped all 3 moon runes and ran from mergos middle lantern to just before the boss area a few times. i'm getting about 130,000 souls each time and it takes about half that to level up at the moment.
You should be fine. I think I was around that with a +10 pizza cutter when I fought him recently. Summoned Valtr and the boss didn't last too long.

You should be fine. I think I was around that with a +10 pizza cutter when I fought him recently. Summoned Valtr and the boss didn't last too long.

lol pizza cutter do you mean the whirligig? i just found that but sold it. i'm perfectly happy with my +10 saw cleaver so any new weapons/upgrade mats i just sell.

i will summon valtr and i noticed there is another summon sign next to the lantern just before the boss.

lol pizza cutter do you mean the whirligig? i just found that but sold it. i'm perfectly happy with my +10 saw cleaver so any new weapons/upgrade mats i just sell.

i will summon valtr and i noticed there is another summon sign next to the lantern just before the boss.
Dude you just sold the best dlc weapon.

Whats so good about it?

I thought it was a fun level that looked cool and the stairs gimmick was fairly clever seeing how it was unique to that area. The physical placement of the building in the world is really cool to me as well.

Like I said, nobody has to like or dislike it, go to town, I just think the word 'trash' gets thrown around absurdly easily. To me, the word trash implies absolute bottom of the barrel crap and I can't imagine anyone actually meaning that about any of the content in Dark Souls.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Prey slaughtered.

Man, if I had knew that I just have to level the Tonsil up to the max, I wouldnt have had spend the whole day on the Shadow of Yarnaham :D

Regarding DLC weapons, how's Amygdala's Arm, anyone in here really mess with it? The moveset is pretty weird in a cool way but not sure about maxing it out to really try it.

Nev

Banned
Regarding DLC weapons, how's Amygdala's Arm, anyone in here really mess with it? The moveset is pretty weird in a cool way but not sure about maxing it out to really try it.

Not very good or satisfying imo. Got it to +9 and regretted it –that was before I completed the game many times and got most of the weapons maxed out lol. Only redeemable aspect to me is the transformed R2 which has huge reach and is great for zoning.

Bronetta

I'm not sure if areas I stumble upon have been optional or mandatory, heh. (I.E. the lost village)

Well that depends if you went there or were taken there :)

Bronetta

Optional area but when you figure your way back you'll have a huge AHA moment.

P.S. if you aren't playing with headphones on, the Unseen Village is a good point to put some on and crank the volume. Dat music :D

cj_iwakura

Optional area but when you figure your way back you'll have a huge AHA moment.

P.S. if you aren't playing with headphones on, the Unseen Village is a good point to put some on and crank the volume. Dat music :D

I loved it at first, then I was there at night and it creeped the hell out of me.

I assume I can't get out of there apart from warping yet. Is the boss optional, or does it lead somewhere?

Bronetta

I loved it at first, then I was there at night and it creeped the hell out of me.

I assume I can't get out of there apart from warping yet. Is the boss optional, or does it lead somewhere?

Id highly recommend doing the area now. The robe guys are also good for farming upgrade materials if you need them.

Looks like Ninja gaiden Mentor difficulty combined with Dark Souls UI, the toad boss was kinda bad and his strategy looks pretty similar to a soul boss fight, three hits combos, big heavy hit and a special ability plus he entered several phases on the same bad the guy fighting him decided to "die" cuz he was about to kill the booss first try,

I haven't even met her yet.

Eileen sometimes moves right outside the oedon chapel , main cathedral exit if you didnt talk to her on the abandoned building

So I started playing this again last night, but I've traded in my physical copy and bought it digitally, and as I started playing I realised that saves from a physical version aren't compatible with the digital version, so it's time to start over, I guess!

Never got very far anyway; I had only beaten the Blood-Starved Beast, and I really struggled in general before getting stuck in the Unseen Village and feeling totally lost and defeated. I did maybe half an hour last night and got to the Cleric Beast, and then spent a bit of time re-familiarising myself with the first area and killing enemies so I could level up a couple of times. Going back to it and having a bit more knowledge about the layout made me realise just how well-designed this first part of the game is. The atmosphere is intense and the art and creature design is incredible. I love the design of the werewolves and the Cleric Beast - they feel so dangerous and animalistic.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So I started playing this again last night, but I've traded in my physical copy and bought it digitally, and as I started playing I realised that saves from a physical version aren't compatible with the digital version, so it's time to start over, I guess!
Huh? Really? I find that hard to believe...

Melchiah

The local PlayStation FB page just posted about BB sales, and in the comments section some guy claimed to have platinumed the game in 30 hours. =D

Huh? Really? I find that hard to believe...

I mean, I'm not lying...?! I have a 30-something MB Bloodborne save file on my PS4 (and I re-downloaded it from the cloud save to be sure), but when I started up the digital copy for the first time since I bought it the only option was New Game.

EDIT - did a bit of digging on Google, and it looks like it's because I bought the GotY edition of Bloodborne whereas I had the vanilla edition on disc.

Top Bottom