• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Nev

Banned
really? i've been running up and down Mergo's Loft: Middle with all 3 moon runes equipped. i'll try the research hall with them equipped once i get past it.

The worm-like patients right after the first lamp drop a lot of souls, die easily and are a lot. And they're right next to the lamp. I think that's what he's referring to.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
really? i've been running up and down Mergo's Loft: Middle with all 3 moon runes equipped. i'll try the research hall with them equipped once i get past it.
Until you reach level 51 you get one level up per clearing. Also the jelly-persons are super easy.

Really enjoying it though, no idea what to expect, no idea what 90% of the items are for or what stats are good, just giving this a good ol try. .

I recommend reading every little tidbit of info the game hands to you, including checking the 'Explanation' button in the stats screen (I think it's R3). I usually found that with diligent reading, I was able to figure out almost everything in the game without having to look it up, this may not be up everyone's alley but I actually quite enjoy that about Souls games.

I'm not sure Bloodtinge and/or Arcane are explained all that well but essentially they are (spoilered in case you want to find out yourself)
gun damage and magic respectively. Arcane/magic however does not work like in Souls games if you're already familiar with that. It kind of doesn't do you that much good until later into the game and Arcane is tied to items you equip in your item slot instead of staffs or whatever in Souls games or typical RPGs.
If you have any specific questions, just ask and I'll keep it vague/spoiler-free.

cj_iwakura

For posterity, here's my MC:

C1iyos4UQAEbd86.jpg:large

It's an interesting thought, what that makes of Arianna.

"And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God."

Being
pregnant against her will then an abortion all of sudden is really, really twisted
and sad
she dies with her offspring
. Even more Adella was super jelaous of Arianna because she trained to be a vessel of the gods and a blood saint but not even the hunter (which being a outsider makes you a scum) asked for her blood ironically she survives long enough for the last phase of the game.

The church using religion as a form of indoctrination for their twisted experiments is really gruesome and is always a central theme in Souls games in my opinion

this research hall is confusing me. gonna need to go back to it tomorrow.

Just a tip, each floor have its own number and have some sort of secret room not accesible until you complete the stairs puzzle,, there is a sidequest on the first floor on a npc tied to a chair

thisbeard

Hey all, just looking to get back in to playing Bloodborne after a pretty long hiatus (around 1 year or so). I absolutely adore everything about the game but I do find myself pretty intimidated trying to get back into the swing of things. So I would really appreciate some advice bearing in mind that it's my first playthrough. Putting everything in spoiler just to be safe...

First of all, I think it would be helpful to give an idea of where I'm at in the game so I'll just post the furthest area for each headstone:

Yharnam: Graveyard of the Darkbeast
Frontier: Moonside Lake
Unseen: Abandoned Old Workshop
Nightmare: Nightmare of Mensis

Also for what it's worth, I've played for roughly 110hrs, I am level 100 (overleveled I imagine?)and I have 68 insight. In regards to Chalice dungeons, i checked and I have Heart Layer 3 in all but the Final Ritual Altar.

So being intimidated by all this, i thought it might be nice to try the DLC first. Is this a good idea considering where I'm at in the game? Is it even possible? I got the Blooddrunk Hunter's Eye so I think I can just go but I'm not sure if I should beat the game first?

I don't think I'll be playing new game+ (not much time to play) or anything so please consider that in your suggestions. I really want to see and experience everything the game has to offer otherwise.

So there it is. I have no idea where to go from here but I'm trembling with excitement and horror at the prospect of jumping back in!

Cheers!

Nev

Banned
I'd say you're in the perfect spot to play the DLC. Go for it. If there's an ideal time to play the DLC it's exactly where you are right now, I found. You can finish the rest of the game later, the DLC is kind of a standalone experience in terms of lore and story.

thisbeard

I'd say you're in the perfect spot to play the DLC. Go for it. If there's an ideal time to play the DLC it's exactly where you are right now, I found. You can finish the rest of the game later, the DLC is kind of a standalone experience in terms of lore and story.

Excellent, I can't wait! Thanks for weighing in.

Toxi

Banned
Hey all, just looking to get back in to playing Bloodborne after a pretty long hiatus (around 1 year or so). I absolutely adore everything about the game but I do find myself pretty intimidated trying to get back into the swing of things. So I would really appreciate some advice bearing in mind that it's my first playthrough. Putting everything in spoiler just to be safe...

First of all, I think it would be helpful to give an idea of where I'm at in the game so I'll just post the furthest area for each headstone:

Also for what it's worth, I've played for roughly 110hrs, I am level 100 (overleveled I imagine?)and I have 68 insight. In regards to Chalice dungeons, i checked and I have Heart Layer 3 in all but the Final Ritual Altar.

So being intimidated by all this, i thought it might be nice to try the DLC first. Is this a good idea considering where I'm at in the game? Is it even possible? I got the Blooddrunk Hunter's Eye so I think I can just go but I'm not sure if I should beat the game first?

I don't think I'll be playing new game+ (not much time to play) or anything so please consider that in your suggestions. I really want to see and experience everything the game has to offer otherwise.

So there it is. I have no idea where to go from here but I'm trembling with excitement and horror at the prospect of jumping back in!

Cheers!
I'd play the DLC now or right after you beat the bosses of the Nightmare of Mensis. If you go on to NG+, you can't play the DLC until beating Vicar Amelia again, and the NG+ DLC is brutal.

Cheers!

Did you reach upper cathedral ward and the other nightmare? if so go finish mensis , stop after M
icolash
, go to the DLC.

thisbeard

Did you reach upper cathedral ward and the other nightmare? if so go finish mensis , stop after M
icolash
, go to the DLC.

I haven't finished Mensis but have reached, and I'm assuming, finished, Upper Cath Ward. Any reason you would wait until after Mensis for thé DLC?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Yes, that is for sure in the game. I'm of the opinion that you should just wait to find out. Where are you in the game?
I just entered Byrgenwyrth and
Rom looks nothing like I remember that spider...I havent seriously attempted to kill it since I didnt expected to face him so early and had no opporturnity to sort my stuff out, so I have no idea if he changes his form in a later phase

I guess its still coming.

thisbeard

I just entered Byrgenwyrth and
Rom looks nothing like I remember that spider...I havent seriously attempted to kill it since I didnt expected to face him so early and had no opporturnity to sort my stuff out, so I have no idea if he changes his form in a later phase

I guess its still coming.

Oh you bet. Be patient! It'll be worth it.

Is the famous gif of the giant spider on the churchtower actually in the game? When yes, when?

Yes and no,
later you find lots of them on yharman there is one who looks like in the gif but in a different building

You can see the spider after R
om

I haven't finished Mensis but have reached, and I'm assuming, finished, Upper Cath Ward. Any reason you would wait until after Mensis for thé DLC?

Just for extra dialogue from the Doll, if you finish mensis completely
the dream
changes and the Doll gets stuck in one dialogue

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Nice little detail in Byrgenwyrth...

The level is super short and has the moon in its focus and its starting its Lovecratian part. Almost all NPCs of this level are Mi-Go, which are called Funghis from moon by Lovecraft and one of his poems about this race is called Funghis from moon.

Great detail, From Software definitly knew what they are doing. I love Lovecrafts Cthulhumythos and this is the first time I really feel like the people who are adapting this stuff know what they do and I have played Cthuhlu games before.It even tops most of the lovecratian movies for me.

Amazing stuff right here. If I had knew that they are that deep into the material I had played this games years ago.

thisbeard

The level is super short and has the moon in its focus and its starting its Lovecratian part. Almost all NPCs of this level are Mi-Go, which are called Funghis from moon by Lovecraft and one of his poems about this race is called Funghis from moon.

Great detail, From Software definitly knew what they are doing. I love Lovecrafts Cthulhumythos and this is the first time I really feel like the people who are adapting this stuff know what they do and I have played Cthuhlu games before.It even tops most of the lovecratian movies for me.

Amazing stuff right here. If I had knew that they are that deep into the material I had played this games years ago.

Wicked. Didn't catch that myself.

cj_iwakura

I was still hoping for a big, sprawling college campus with multiple floors, like Duke's Archives redeux. :(

Nev

Banned
So I just beat NG4 Orphan (what an asshole) and he dropped like 250k~, which is about the same the Pthumerian Descendant drops in a defiled dungeon. I mean he can oneshot you with ease but at the same time he's cheeseable asf, and OoK isn't. The same dungeon had trash mobs that drop 15k, the same as a shark monster in the fishing hamlet, which are undeniably easier to kill –just a few hits– than the sharks.

I guess From really wanted people to play the chalices.

kris.

Banned
Just reached
Byrgenwerth and tried Rom. Got killed pretty easily but I expected to, running in with only 5 or so blood vials. Question though: any reason to keep Willem alive?

I recommend reading every little tidbit of info the game hands to you, including checking the 'Explanation' button in the stats screen (I think it's R3). I usually found that with diligent reading, I was able to figure out almost everything in the game without having to look it up, this may not be up everyone's alley but I actually quite enjoy that about Souls games.

I'm not sure Bloodtinge and/or Arcane are explained all that well but essentially they are (spoilered in case you want to find out yourself)
gun damage and magic respectively. Arcane/magic however does not work like in Souls games if you're already familiar with that. It kind of doesn't do you that much good until later into the game and Arcane is tied to items you equip in your item slot instead of staffs or whatever in Souls games or typical RPGs.
If you have any specific questions, just ask and I'll keep it vague/spoiler-free.

Yeah was reading those from the start, still trying to wrap my head around the gun mechanics though. Any tips on countering effectively with them?

Just reached
Byrgenwerth and tried Rom. Got killed pretty easily but I expected to, running in with only 5 or so blood vials. Question though: any reason to keep Willem alive?

No. Talk to him for insight then kill him. As for Rom, I found that if you focus on the spiders first it makes it easier. It requires more patience but if you thin out or completely get rid of the spiders it lets you focus on Rom until she teleports. Don't stop hitting her when she is teleporting as she still takes damage. If you have a Tonitrus or Bolt paper that should help kill her quicker. The first stage she won't do any attacks but after that you will want to keep an eye on her when killing the spiders as she will do an AoE attack or fire missiles down at you.

When she kinda stands up it signals the missile attack so just start running until they stop. Any other move should be a AoE so just don't get too close.

Once you kill Rom the night progresses into a new stage so make sure you've done character quests.

Got through the research hall today! Beat the Living Failures first try. They were pathetically easy. Maria was such a fun boss fight though. The first couple tries I just felt so overwhelmed and that it was ridiculously unfair because of just how fast she moves. It's more of a teleport (old hunter's bone?). Once you figure out to dodge to her right she becomes such an easy target. I defeated her on my 3rd try and with only 1 blood vial left. The only other boss that made me do that was Amygdala.

I did a little of the fishing hamlet. Got as far as the second enemy who shoots those purple skulls and the giant shark enemy. I'll go back to it tomorrow.

Right now I am lvl 120. 50/30/42/26/14/8. I am done with VIT and happy enough with the amount of stamina I have. Now I am gonna focus on damage so will focus on skill to get it near strength then level them up together. Bloodtinge and arcane are still not important to me.

I dont remember but whats so special about maria armor, I think Eileen have better stats overall
The stats are shit, I just like wearing it. Nice color scheme, cool pirate like hat that doesn't obscure the face and ponytail, chest piece has a cool green brooch. I just like it, goes best with female characters, which I always make.

Truant

Went back to a new character I made recently, after a few months of not playing.

Man, the Cleric Beast is a lot harder than I remembered. The health-pool is insane, and I'm not doing that much damage. I remember beating him on my first time earlier.

Password might help us to help you. :)

network password or chalice dungeon password?

Okay, now I'm in Lower Pthumerian Layer 4

Network Password neogaf
Dungeon Glyph jjph

I don't really understand how cooping chalice dungeons work. Do you need to make the exact dungeon and fight your way to that layer in order to help someone, or can you simply join via the network password from anywhere on the dungeon, or from the short ritual chalice?

edit: not having any luck with the password on. Going to take my chances with no password in hopes of getting a summon. I'm sure if you come down here and ring your bell, you'll be thrown into my game anyway. Not a lot of activity down here.

Just beat Rom and the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst this morning. Both were pushovers with my Whirligig Saw and Beast Cutter combo. I knew the Whirligig would decimate Rom but I was surprised by how trivial the Beast Cutter makes Bloody Crow. You just keep him at medium distance and punish him with the R2. As long as you keep your health topped off, there isn't much he can do.

Cleared Fishing Hamlet. Just need to do the boss now. I'm at lvl 122 now. Got my pistol to +10 since I found another Blood Rock! I also got a cursed gem from those lanterns. It has +22% physical damage with -10% damage against Kin. I would have prefered the one with +3% stamina cost but am I hell farming those lanterns. I hate them. Frenzy is such bullshit.

How close am I to finishing the DLC? Also, my first playthrough without DLC I finished at lvl 85. Now I am 122 I am worried that fighting Gehrman and the Moon Presence I will be waaaaaay over powered or do they scale based on your level?

How close am I to finishing the DLC? Also, my first playthrough without DLC I finished at lvl 85. Now I am 122 I am worried that fighting Gehrman and the Moon Presence I will be waaaaaay over powered or do they scale based on your level?
Enemies (and bosses) don't scale.

If you've done the boss of the Fishing Hamlet
Orphan of Kos
you've done the DLC, but you've probably still got one boss
Luarence
to do unless you already went back and did it.

Cleared Fishing Hamlet. Just need to do the boss now. I'm at lvl 122 now. Got my pistol to +10 since I found another Blood Rock! I also got a cursed gem from those lanterns. It has +22% physical damage with -10% damage against Kin. I would have prefered the one with +3% stamina cost but am I hell farming those lanterns. I hate them. Frenzy is such bullshit.

If you have no intention of making a bloodtinge build you wasted that blood rock.

Griss

Finally playing the DLC. Good god, this game is good.

I just lost to the Living Failures. Can see this one taking some time.

I absolutely romped Ludwig though. He's the kind of boss I do well against as I play aggressively and like to dodge into attacks. Died to his first form once, then blazed right through him. Was weird that his second form was so much easier.

Also weird that the huge enemies with cleavers were much harder for me to beat than Ludwig himself. I've died at least 10 times to those guys.

Any tips for doing damage to the Living Failures? They just outlast me - only boss I've ever run out of blood vials on. By and large I consider this the easiest Souls game by some margin, but the DLC is definitely a little notch higher.

Finally playing the DLC. Good god, this game is good.

I just lost to the Living Failures. Can see this one taking some time.

I absolutely romped Ludwig though. He's the kind of boss I do well against as I play aggressively and like to dodge into attacks. Died to his first form once, then blazed right through him. Was weird that his second form was so much easier.

Also weird that the huge enemies with cleavers were much harder for me to beat than Ludwig himself. I've died at least 10 times to those guys.

Any tips for doing damage to the Living Failures? They just outlast me - only boss I've ever run out of blood vials on. By and large I consider this the easiest Souls game by some margin, but the DLC is definitely a little notch higher.
This was my last Living Failures fight on NG+ they're really not shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj57hJXNHYs

Top Bottom