• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

ChrisD

I've found that I just really don't like the Forbidden Woods. I started a third save file because I wanted to play, but didn't feel like doing the DLC on my NG file, and don't really like NG+.

Four and a half hours in, I'm having fun. Tearing through the early-game, Cleric, Gascoigne, Amelia, BSB, Witch; all of 'em down in like three hours (okay so I'm sure you guys are faster, but I wasted an hour on Vicar trying to do a low-level win). I also mercy ran through Old Yharnam, just because I'd never done it before.

But then I got to the Forbidden Woods. I turned the game off and... I don't know if I want to play now. :L

Don't like the area, don't like the enemies, don't like the bosses. It's really a momentum stopper for me.

Toxi

Banned
Any tips for doing damage to the Living Failures? They just outlast me - only boss I've ever run out of blood vials on. By and large I consider this the easiest Souls game by some margin, but the DLC is definitely a little notch higher.
Beast Blood Pellets. They're damage sponges, so it's really easy to fill the beast bar.

Don't like the area, don't like the enemies, don't like the bosses. It's really a momentum stopper for me.
You can rush through the Forbidden Woods pretty fast if you know which way to go.

Just finished the DLC! Really enjoyed it. Gonna take a break now but not quite sure I want to go into NG+ just yet. I'm thinking about just doing co-op with people to help them clear areas and bosses. I'm not into PVP so much.

Yeah was reading those from the start, still trying to wrap my head around the gun mechanics though. Any tips on countering effectively with them?

Treat it like the parry in Souls if you played through those, sorry I can't recall as I'm typing this if you had mentioned it or not. It's certainly easier to land a parry in this game however, which rules for me because I was useless at it in the Souls games.

What I did was spawn somewhere early on, find a location with a pretty isolated, weak enemy and practice my timing. Most enemies' moves are very fairly telegraphed as in it never turns into some inhuman feat to tell where your window is. Basically, shoot at the last second before a hit comes in and it will stagger them into the visceral state, then run/dodge up and hit R1.

Don't worry about getting hit while landing the parry, the follow-up visceral attack will restore the entirety of whatever health you lost on that hit. Also since we're on the subject, they call that 'rally' in the game which I didn't realize for ages...the health regain is referred to as 'rallying' in-game.

Beast Blood Pellets. They're damage sponges, so it's really easy to fill the beast bar.
Yeah that fight is all about damage output. I believe they're kin so if you have a kin damage up rune equipped it'll probably also make that fight earlier. I did it on NG+ with my bloodtinge/skill build that tore through Ebrietas and the Living Failures even at NG+ didn't have the health pool to survive that long.

Nev

Banned
Just finished the DLC! Really enjoyed it. Gonna take a break now but not quite sure I want to go into NG+ just yet. I'm thinking about just doing co-op with people to help them clear areas and bosses. I'm not into PVP so much.

Did you fight Laurence?

Any tips for doing damage to the Living Failures? They just outlast me - only boss I've ever run out of blood vials on. By and large I consider this the easiest Souls game by some margin, but the DLC is definitely a little notch higher.
Jaded has it down pretty good in his video. If you don't feel as confident as him with the fight you can try the following (been a while so going off of memory)...

1. Run around and find the isolated Failure when there starts to be groups of them. See if you can lure one out from the group if they are bunched together.
2. If you get the melee ones to chase you out of a group, circle around to take out the spell-casting one.
3. Use the central tree to protect you from the incoming meteors when they do that ceremony. (I remember it happening more often in my fight but that was NG+...)

Jaded has it down pretty good in his video. If you don't feel as confident as him with the fight you can try the following (been a while so going off of memory)...

1. Run around and find the isolated Failure when there starts to be groups of them. See if you can lure one out from the group if they are bunched together.
2. If you get the melee ones to chase you out of a group, circle around to take out the spell-casting one.
3. Use the central tree to protect you from the incoming meteors when they do that ceremony. (I remember it happening more often in my fight but that was NG+...)
Sadly Living Failures is the easiest boss in the DLC...the next 3...fuck...not to mention the Street Sharks.

Sadly Living Failures is the easiest boss in the DLC...the next 3...fuck...not to mention the Street Sharks.

For reasons I cannot explain, Maria was not too bad for me. I somehow had zen timing with parrying her which made a lot of that fight manageable. But OoK and Larry.... yeah...
Larry's screeches are burned into my memory forever, I ran that thing so many times before getting him downed.

And that
two Street Sharks well... ugh.

For reasons I cannot explain, Maria was not too bad for me. I somehow had zen timing with parrying her which made a lot of that fight manageable. But OoK and Larry.... yeah...
Larry's screeches are burned into my memory forever, I ran that thing so many times before getting him downed.

And that
two Street Sharks well... ugh.
I actually find Maria to be fun, though she has the weirdest parry timing to me. There's something about her music and the sheer craziness of her attacks that make for a really good fight. I don't find her to be cheap at all. Fuck Larry, OOK is cool, but highly difficult. Not looking forward to NG+ OOK. Fuck I still have to do NG++ dlc...
1430080506081.jpg

Concussive attacks or killing one of the failures may probably stop their summoning either way the safeste way is to use the sunflower as a cover to stop most of the meteors

Concussive attacks or killing one of the failures may probably stop their summoning either way the safeste way is to use the sunflower as a cover to stop most of the meteors
I just visceraled the summoner and i-framed my way through most of the meteor spell. I think that's mostly an all out aggression boss.

Did your Moon Presence fight look anything like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKtSAlGrhh4

No. I don't know what the player is doing there. What are those purple things they are throwing?

I just kept close and hitting it. It rarely managed to hit me but it did use an attack with some kind of red beam that lowered my health waaay down so far I thought I had died. I only had 6 vials left after Gehrman which was lucky or I would have died. Whenever it stopped to charge up it's attack I ran up and spammed R1. For a final secret boss it was a bit disappointing. Gehrman would have been enough.

Concussive attacks or killing one of the failures may probably stop their summoning

Killing one of the summoners sadly does not stop the meteor shower. Was my first thought as well, all it ends up doing is leaving you exposed if you're not quick to run behind the sunflower or the Maria side cathedral door.

No. I don't know what the player is doing there. What are those purple things they are throwing?

I just kept close and hitting it. It rarely managed to hit me but it did use an attack with some kind of red beam that lowered my health waaay down so far I thought I had died. I only had 6 vials left after Gehrman which was lucky or I would have died. Whenever it stopped to charge up it's attack I ran up and spammed R1. For a final secret boss it was a bit disappointing. Gehrman would have been enough.
Purple things is Accursed Brew. I used a good amount of arcane stuff with that character...way over leveled for Moon Presence cause that was the character I ran through the dlc with...I think +10 Burial Blade too. I think if the wind up wasn't so slow I would've been hit less.

Killing one of the summoners sadly does not stop the meteor shower. Was my first thought as well, all it ends up doing is leaving you exposed if you're not quick to run behind the sunflower or the Maria side cathedral door.

I said "may", sometimes you can , sometimes you are dead

I've found that I just really don't like the Forbidden Woods. I
But then I got to the Forbidden Woods. I turned the game off and... I don't know if I want to play now. :L

Mostly the same, I finished the Forbidden Woods in one sitting, but it took a while. Like you, its probably the most unliked area for me so far. Though I played it during the day and had a lot of sunlight coming in at the time and made it super hard to see lol. Tons of enemies, a bit easy to get turned around despite it being more or less a straight path and so on. Glad I got through it , though was told there is a hidden path to somewhere in it, and can't be asked to try and walk through that place again or figure out what section they meant.

cj_iwakura

Mostly the same, I finished the Forbidden Woods in one sitting, but it took a while. Like you, its probably the most unliked area for me so far. Though I played it during the day and had a lot of sunlight coming in at the time and made it super hard to see lol. Tons of enemies, a bit easy to get turned around despite it being more or less a straight path and so on. Glad I got through it , though was told there is a hidden path to somewhere in it, and can't be asked to try and walk through that place again or figure out what section they meant.

I liked it a lot. I also found the shortcuts pretty easily.

Reminded me a lot of RE4.

I've found that I just really don't like the Forbidden Woods. I

I kinda figured out the parry thing as well but its still finicky for me. I assume only certain attacks can be countered? Some seem to counter easily, others not at all despite getting a shot off in what seems like the right timing, resulting in myself getting hit. -shrug-

ChrisD

I kinda figured out the parry thing as well but its still finicky for me. I assume only certain attacks can be countered? Some seem to counter easily, others not at all despite getting a shot off in what seems like the right timing, resulting in myself getting hit. -shrug-

I don't think I've ever been to the Forbidden Woods at night, now that I think about it. So it's the same deal with the light. There's also our TV just not displaying dark colors well in general making it worse.

I did just run through it, think I stopped to pick up one item. Shadows of Yharnam should have gone down in one go, but I got fire-locked. That was annoying to say the least.

I played pretty much all day today. Ended up beating the game lol. Just a little under eight hours. I skipped a lot of bosses, but I did make certain to kill the Witch just for Runes and I fought Cleric Beast as well because I often (read: always) forget that he's not mandatory. Even if I do remember, he's mandatory in my eyes, dang it.

ALMOST had G
ehrman
down in my first shot at Level 70. That may be high for some, but the first time around I was level 87 and had troubles! Brought them alllll the way down to one health. I'm talking can't even see the bar anymore health. But... I forgot the super pulse attack. Out of a want to see a thematic ending, instead of shooting or throwing a Knife for the final blow, I ran in to get a final stab. Ran riiiiight into the pulse and died. I was pretty annoyed. It took so much of the "epicness" out of it. Got 'em on the third attempt. :l

It's the most hated until you experience getting knocked off a flight of stairs in Research Hall with over 200K souls.

Veelk

Banned
Forbidden forest grew on me a little since I managed to take it out in one sitting on NG+.

I still disagree on principle that large areas between checkpoints are good and I don't see myself wanting a full game of it, but one huge area can be good.

It definitely gets points for being one of the moodiest areas in the game at least.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
This is no Dark Souls Thread, but can I emulate Bloodbornes gameplay in Dark Souls? I know that certain elements are not part of the Souls series, but is it possible to play in Bloodbornestyle?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
This is no Dark Souls Thread, but can I emulate Bloodbornes gameplay in Dark Souls? I know that certain elements are not part of the Souls series, but is it possible to play in Bloodbornestyle?
Yeah, you can do something pretty close to that. Just no regain system, no transforming attacks, and of course the dodging is always a roll.

Haroldo

Hey there! Anyone have some recommendations on videos showcasing advanced players in Bloodborne? I am feeling I bit l lousy in my combat as I am playing NG+2.

Thanks in advance!

JarrodL

Playing this game for the first time, one thing I absolutely HATE compared to Demon Souls/Dark Souls - having to grind for freaking healing flasks.

Dark Souls:
Fight a boss -> Get your ass kicked -> Try again

Bloodborne:
Fight a boss -> Get your ass kicked -> Waste half an hour grinding your healing items back to 20 -> Try again

WHO ON EARTH THOUGHT THAT WAS A GOOD IDEA? Geez.

Leezard

Playing this game for the first time, one thing I absolutely HATE compared to Demon Souls/Dark Souls - having to grind for freaking healing flasks.

Dark Souls:

Bloodborne:
Fight a boss -> Get your ass kicked -> Waste half an hour grinding your healing items back to 20 -> Try again

Yeah. They brought back a bad idea from Demon Souls.

Dark Souls:

Bloodborne:

Whenever you level up just buy some vials from your spare souls. I never had to grind ever on my first playthrough because sometimes I'd just buy vials instead on leveling up. I didn't even grind for the blood echoes, they just piled automatically. Made things easier.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Dark Souls:

Bloodborne:

I recommend you buy as much vials as much in the beginning, that you have always enough for the automatic refill when you die

Hey there! Anyone have some recommendations on videos showcasing advanced players in Bloodborne? I am feeling I bit l lousy in my combat as I am playing NG+2.

Thanks in advance!
Lobos Jr. with his crazy ass challenge runs, Ray Dhimitri for 30 second boss battles, ENB for lore and his interesting slice of life stories...currently streaming FFVIII on Twitch cause he got chaliced out cause he's in Defiled at too low of a level.

Melchiah

Whenever you level up just buy some vials from your spare souls. I never had to grind ever on my first playthrough because sometimes I'd just buy vials instead on leveling up. I didn't even grind for the blood echoes, they just piled automatically. Made things easier.

Same here. It always baffles me why people don't buy them from the Messengers in Hunter's Dream. When you spend your spare Blood Echoes on them every time you level up, it's unlikely to deplete the supply during repeated boss fights. You also shouldn't waste too many of them during the first tries, when you try to learn the boss patterns.

Dark Souls:

Bloodborne:

I'm not saying it's a great idea, I think Estus was the best idea personally. However, what helped me immensely was to set myself some rules regarding healing. Basically, I don't allow myself to start healing profusely until I hit the halfway point of the boss' health bar. By that I mean I'll practice until I can get the fight down enough to feel confident before I start really digging into my supply of vials. My limit is about 3 in the first half. I'm sure it doesn't work for everyone and all those disclaimers but it definitely helped me out and I can't say I've ever had a problem running out of them.

Also, what others have said, always spend your leftover echoes on vials or bullets.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I have never bough a bullent in this game, I have always plenty of them.

Then again, my playstyle dont rely on them to much.

I buy either vials, molotovs or oil cans. But after I defeated Rom they got really pricy....

Melchiah

I have never bough a bullent in this game, I have always plenty of them.

Then again, my playstyle dont rely on them to much.

I buy either vials, molotovs or oil cans. But after I defeated Rom they got really pricy....

When you use the gun extensively for parrying, it tends to eat up Quicksilver Bullets. Especially, when you're learning the parry timings for bosses. I don't think I used Oil Urns for much else but Cleric Beast. It's just too much trouble cycling the inventory in the heat of the fight.

Keeping up a supply of Fire/Bolt Paper can be costly though, especially in the Chalice dungeons. I actually ran out out of Bolt Paper when I tried to beat Rom for the first time, and decided to upgrade Tonitrus just for the fight, as I had a plenty of Blood Stone Shards by then.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Keeping up a supply of Fire/Bolt Paper can be costly though, especially in the Chalice dungeons. I actually ran out out of Bolt Paper when I tried to beat Rom for the first time, and decided to upgrade Tonitrus just for the fight, as I had a plenty of Blood Stone Shards by then.

Yeah, Fire and Bolt Paper are made obsolete by my Saw Cleaver with Firebuff and Tonitrus.
Man, I am so excited to play Bloodborne tonight. Cainhurst Castle awaits.

I never messed around with the elemental damage gems, but I assume it's a similar situation to Souls, where split damage weapons suck compared to regular damage, unless you are using an arcane build with the stats to take advantage of the scaling? Otherwise fire/bolt paper would be better(?)

I might be doing it wrong but the elemental gems always seem to be piss weak compared to just pure physical powerhousing. Is there a proper way to take advantage of them? I'd love a proper fire weapon.

Lobos Jr. with his crazy ass challenge runs, Ray Dhimitri for 30 second boss battles, ENB for lore and his interesting slice of life stories...currently streaming FFVIII on Twitch cause he got chaliced out cause he's in Defiled at too low of a level.

Elajjaz on Twitch and YouTube is also great for speedruns. He's broken a couple of records recently and watching how he navigates levels and fights bosses has been super informative.

Top Bottom