• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Melchiah

Its good againsts the beasts, they all were pretty weak to fire so my strategies depended on molotovs and I thought I can a bit compensate that I only can carry 10 of them.

That's true. If I do a fourth run, I might try it with Threaded Cane, since its whip form also does bonus damage against beasts.

Kssio_Aug

I'm planning on going back to Bloodborne, played the base game in 2015 but I do have some questions:

1) Is it easy for new players to summon randoms for co-op just ringing the bell? When I first played it I had issues summoning people but I think there was a bug or something, today however I fear the player base isn't nearly as much as the same.

2) I finished the game highly frustrated with some sections (Unseen Village and Nightmare of Mensis) and some enemies (brainsuckers, Gehrman and Moon Presence). It really stressed me a lot, even though I had already finished Demon's Souls and Dark Souls solo before it. I played this one mostly solo as well though. Heard The Old Hunter is even harder... what's your opinion about it? Harder and more frustrating? Harder but sections are more fun?

3) Is it worth the 20 dollars price?

I'm planning on going back to Bloodborne, played the base game in 2015 but I do have some questions:

1) Is it easy for new players to summon randoms for co-op just ringing the bell? When I first played it I had issues summoning people but I think there was a bug or something, today however I fear the player base isn't nearly as much as the same.

2) I finished the game highly frustrated with some sections (Unseen Village and Nightmare of Mensis) and some enemies (brainsuckers, Gehrman and Moon Presence). It really stressed me a lot, even though I had already finished Demon's Souls and Dark Souls solo before it. I played this one mostly solo as well though. Heard The Old Hunter is even harder... what's your opinion about it? Harder and more frustrating? Harder but sections are more fun?

1) I don't really have any more issues with online as I might've had when I first started playing, then again I don't play online in general THAT often.

2) I didn't find the game frustrating in any spots but the DLC is definitely tough-as-nails at points. The sheer quality of it though makes up for it if you're not really into the difficulty of it, I tend to be though as a disclaimer. Get ready for some serious stomping by its infamous first boss. Overall I think the DLC is very important to the overall game and not to be missed. It seamlessly adds to the game in every aspect.

3) Most certainly if you dig the game itself of course.

SDR-UK

1) The player base is still doing great. There is a lot of help available from random people and if you are particularly stuck, you can ask here for specific help. Most of us are all too happy to return to the world of Bloodborne.

2) Not going to sugarcoat this, the DLC is much harder than the base game but the areas are great, the enemies are great and the bosses are the highlight of the series.

3) Absolutely, although it has been on sale once or twice.

Exuro

So I got a ps4 for Xmas and have been playing this game nonstop. Already beaten it but I'm in the defiled chalice dungeon and the fire dog is destroying me. One shots with that leap. This is the first time I've had trouble with a boss in this game.

SDR-UK

Thank you!! =)

Abou the co-op, do you guys agree there was a bug when it was released? I can see I wasn't the only one with these issues: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805577-bloodborne/71588361

That said, was it fixed?

It was definitely a lot harder or should I say more time consuming than it was before a few patches. Interestingly, Dark Souls III suffered the same situation upon release.

So I got a ps4 for Xmas and have been playing this game nonstop. Already beaten it but I'm in the defiled chalice dungeon and the fire dog is destroying me. One shots with that leap. This is the first time I've had trouble with a boss in this game.

Yeah, the Defiled Chalice is a kick in the nuts and definitely the hardest thing in the game because of how literally everything one shots you. Just keep trying I guess... Or if you're not against it, get a Co-op buddy and destroy him!

I think the game has a big bump in players from being on sale over the holidays. I've started playing again and haven't had any issues finding people to co-op with.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I was never so disappointed by a level as in Cainhurst Castle. Came with the expectation of a great draculaesque vampire castle and got some shitty ghosts in a library. And its so short.

Jobbs

Banned
I was never so disappointed by a level as in Cainhurst Castle. Came with the expectation of a great draculaesque vampire castle and got some shitty ghosts in a library. And its so short.

The weird thing was that there was actual treasure there. Was refreshing.

My main criticism against Bloodborne was the lack of treasure. It's always fun to find something you can equip. Even if it's just more clothes for fashion souls.

Having just run through it again, it definitely is a bit anticlimactic in terms of actual level design and intricacy. Aaaaaaannnnd....Martyr is still a dickhead.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Having just run through it again, it definitely is a bit anticlimactic in terms of actual level design and intricacy. Aaaaaaannnnd....Martyr is still a dickhead.
Its introduced so amazing with the carriage and the horses and then you walk upwards this gigantic castle,which blows you away and is straight out of Dracula, the giant doors open slowly... and then only have some halls 😭

The weird thing was that there was actual treasure there. Was refreshing.

My main criticism against Bloodborne was the lack of treasure. It's always fun to find something you can equip. Even if it's just more clothes for fashion souls.
Thats true, its always great to find something cool.

Its introduced so amazing with the carriage and the horses and then you walk upwards this gigantic castle,which blows you away and is straight out of Dracula, the giant doors open slowly... and then only have some halls 😭

Funny think it was never explained the ghosts , the gargoyles , your transport car was already dead and why the our hunter got an invitation to cainhurst. The whole area is a bit off the main lovecraftian atmosphere of the game.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Funny think it was never explained the ghosts , the gargoyles , your transport car was already dead and why the our hunter got an invitation to cainhurst. The whole area is a bit off the main lovecraftian atmosphere of the game.
Oh, I think it fits perfectly in the tone of the game until you start fighting Lovecraft monsters after the forbidden forrest.
I think its supposed to be played before you enter Byrgenwerth and until then its 100% Gothic horror in the vein of Dracula, Werwolfs, etc, even when the hints of the things to come are already there - Like when you have read Shadow over Innsmouth you get that Central Yharnam is basicly the same like that town where the fish-people are replaced with Werwolfs minus the gold.

Oh, I think it fits perfectly in the tone of the game until you start fighting Lovecraft monsters after the forbidden forrest.
I think its supposed to be played before you enter Byrgenwerth and until then its 100% Gothic horror in the vein of Dracula, Werwolfs, etc, even when the hints of the things to come are already there - Like when you have read Shadow over Innsmouth you get that Central Yharnam is basicly the same like that town where the fish-people are replaced with Werwolfs minus the gold.

Insmouth is on the DLC.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Insmouth is on the DLC
I have hear of this, but the basic idea behind Central Yharnam is very similar - A sinister cult that brought new rites to a town, which developed a craftmanship that was traded against the humanity of the people of the city.
Its not 1:1 but its already pretty close.

I have hear of this, but the basic idea behind Central Yharnam is very similar - A sinister cult that brought new rites to a town, which developed a craftmanship that was traded against the humanity of the people of the city.
Its not 1:1 but its already pretty close.

Oh, dont get me wrong the basic idea is applied to Yharman, F
ishing Hamlet
by being overrun by a parasite and Cainhurst.

Cainhurst is special because it trapped people souls and reanimated corpses in that area which is out of context and different which is not a bad thing

I've just started over, so if you're looking for someone to play with feel free to fire me a friend request on Telminator-2. I have the game of the year edition and I've only just beaten the Cleric Beast. I got stuck and lost interest last time, so I'm starting over and hope to see it through to completion this time around.

Where the fuck is the sequel to this? I don't get it, Sony!

Possibly at E3 this year for a release early next year, giving From 3 years' development time. There will obviously be a sequel; Sony would be mad not to and I expect they tied From & Miyazaki down for a three game contract.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Possibly at E3 this year for a release early next year, giving From 3 years' development time. There will obviously be a sequel; Sony would be mad not to and I expect they tied From & Miyazaki down for a three game contract.

I always heard that they have a three game contract actually.

Where the fuck is the sequel to this? I don't get it, Sony!

I think it's 95% sure that that won't happen sadly. From has said in two recent interviews in one way or another that they are not working on or planning any further sequels, or tie-ins, to Souls or Bloodborne at this point.

I think Bloodborne deserves an expansion of its unique direction but if the drive and inspiration isn't there, I'd prefer not to get another Dark Souls II.

EDIT: Just to clarify, they didn't say EVER, but specifically not at this point which means nothing for several years at least I'd say.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I have a hard time imagine what they should so regarding the lovecratian stuff. Please dont spoil anything specific in this regard to me, but from what I got you kill some of the most important mythos monsters in this game

Rush_Khan

Thank you!! =)

Abou the co-op, do you guys agree there was a bug when it was released? I can see I wasn't the only one with these issues: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805577-bloodborne/71588361

That said, was it fixed?

I don't think it was a bug. I think it was just because there was so much demand for co-op and not enough supply of players willing to help. I certainly remember instantly being summoned to bosses but having to wait an eternity for help myself.

I have a hard time imagine what they should so regarding the lovecratian stuff. Please dont spoil anything specific in this regard to me, but from what I got you kill some of the most important mythos monsters in this game

Mmm? have you finished the game?, so far the Hunter kills a
Shoggot
, and the healing church kills a
Great one, servant
with the help of their strongest hunters.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
It's probably best to approach the game with the idea that it draws some inspiration from Lovecraft, but then just let the game depict stuff itself without expecting anything in particular.

The game is very vague about its world.
It uses Lovecraftian ideas such as forbidden knowledge leading to madness, but it never specifically mentions anything in Lovecraft's universe outside of the word "eldrich."

Kssio_Aug

I've just started over, so if you're looking for someone to play with feel free to fire me a friend request on Telminator-2. I have the game of the year edition and I've only just beaten the Cleric Beast. I got stuck and lost interest last time, so I'm starting over and hope to see it through to completion this time around.
I have decided to get R&C first. Needed a light game to relax! But I'm still interested in the DLC and may purchase it later (not this month though). I still have the base game though! Can you send me your PSN ID in a private message so I can add?

I don't think it was a bug. I think it was just because there was so much demand for co-op and not enough supply of players willing to help. I certainly remember instantly being summoned to bosses but having to wait an eternity for help myself.
I'm pretty sure it was a bug, cause even though what you say makes sense, I remember that several times I was in the exact same spot as some friends and wasn't able to call them before quite several attempts cause it kept failing.

derFeef

Hello BB Gaf. I recently bought a PS4 and Bloodbourne thanks to the sale. I was always looking forward to this game and it's amazing design and atmosphere. I played every Souls game to date and I am no newbie when it comes to them.

But this game is giving me a hard time with it's first area. I just can't seem to make progress. I started over several times to try different Origins. I settled with Lone Survivor and the Threaded Cane with Blunderbuss. The area with the 15 or so enemies is really testing my nerves. It's not hard per se, but just frustrating if you fuck up because there are so many enemies you have to plough through.

I am usually playing those games blind but I needed to read a walkthrough for this sadly. So my problem is that I can't progress to unlock the shortcut directly at the lamp in Central Yharnam. What to do :/

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Hello BB Gaf. I recently bought a PS4 and Bloodbourne thanks to the sale. I was always looking forward to this game and it's amazing design and atmosphere. I played every Souls game to date and I am no newbie when it comes to them.

But this game is giving me a hard time with it's first area. I just can't seem to make progress. I started over several times to try different Origins. I settled with Lone Survivor and the Threaded Cane with Blunderbuss. The area with the 15 or so enemies is really testing my nerves. It's not hard per se, but just frustrating if you fuck up because there are so many enemies you have to plough through.

I am usually playing those games blind but I needed to read a walkthrough for this sadly. So my problem is that I can't progress to unlock the shortcut directly at the lamp in Central Yharnam. What to do :/

Dont get to them at onche. Farm some Kieselsteine and throw them at them, to lure them to you. Also, I recommend to go in their near, that some of them start to chase you and run away. Dont jump in the middle of the place.

derFeef

Dont get to them at onche. Farm some Kieselsteine and throw them at them, to lure them to you. Also, I recommend to go in their near, that some of them start to chase you and run away. Dont jump in the middle of the place.

I mostly body pull them and that works great most of the time. My roadblock currently is the two beasts that I think I need to get past to unlock the shortcut. The sewers are giving me troubles as well with the one tough guy at the end of the water. I am really scratching my head why I am having that much problems with this, heh.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I mostly body pull them and that works great most of the time. My roadblock currently is the two beasts that I think I need to get past to unlock the shortcut. The sewers are giving me troubles as well with the one tough guy at the end of the water. I am really scratching my head why I am having that much problems with this, heh.

I see, I was where you were too. Hated these parts, I just ran away from the werewolfs, you need to level up to fight them comfortable.

Do you mean the pig with the guy in the sewers? The trick is, sprint as fast as you can before it starts screaming, after that it will run towards you and one-hit you. Try to get into his back and stab it.

Or you run across the bridge upwards the sewers and just climb the ladder down ;)

use pebbles to deal with them 1 by 1. you really don't want to be taking on multiple enemies at once especially this early on. your main focus should be getting up onto the bridge. if you keep pushing forward you will get there. there is really no where else to go until you unlock shortcuts later on. when you come up the stairs to the bridge don't go straight down the stairs opposite and just go across the bridge. you will meet 2 wolves who you should just run past. there are some more enemies on the bridge but just keep going until you find the boss. if you die don't worry because you will get insight which lets you go back to the hunter's dream and level up!

i have no idea how many times i died in this area. it is tough but don't give up. as for weapon i would recommend either the hunter's axe or saw cleaver. there is nothing wrong with the threaded cane but it might be too difficult to use for someone just beginning the game. what stats you pick at character creation don't really matter so much but you should focus on VIT/END and then whatever stat your weapon scales with so either strength/skill. Bloodtinge affects your gun. Arcane can be left alone unless you know you want an arcane build.

Ferr986

The best tactic for the plaza is
run

The best tactic for the werewolfes is
run

After the 2 wolves don't go straight to the boss yet, take a left inside the building and open the shortcut.

The two large werewolves? Yeah, they're total bastards when you're low-level. When you get past the group of ~15 men around the bonfire and go through the small archway on the left of the large gate (the one with the brick troll roaring and banging on it), walk along and stay to the left, and you will come to some coffins and crates directly ahead which you can smash, and then there's a hole in the fence where you can jump down by some dog cages (I think there is one free dog here so watch out because they're fast). From here, go around the corner to the left (not down the stairs) and you should go under the massive bridge and then immediately through a dark room (watch out for one dude to your left, and take him out so he doesn't follow you). Go straight ahead back out of the dark room and up the staircase (another man at the top), and then there will be another staircase to your right, at the top of which is a closed gate. Go up and open this gate and you have opened a shortcut to the second lantern which I think is called 'Central Yarnham' if you jump there from Hunter's Dream. Now, to get to the boss quickly go back down to the dark room. There should be three more enemies in there (one on the bottom floor and two up the stairs, and then go out the exit on on the top floor. There's another man at the top of the stairs and if you look left (EDIT - right, not left. Look right if you want, but make sure you go left to the boss) you will now be past the two werewolves (thank fuck). Go left and you will come to a brick troll and three flightless ravens, and then immediately behind them is the fog gate for the first boss, the Cleric Beast. Good luck, 'cause it's a total bastard!

derFeef

The two large werewolves? Yeah, they're total bastards when you're low-level. When you get past the group of ~15 men around the bonfire and go through the small archway on the left of the large gate (the one with the brick troll roaring and banging on it), walk along and stay to the left, and you will come to some coffins and crates directly ahead which you can smash, and then there's a hole in the fence where you can jump down by some dog cages (I think there is one free dog here so watch out because they're fast). From here, go around the corner to the left (not down the stairs) and you should go under the massive bridge and then immediately through a dark room (watch out for one dude to your left, and take him out so he doesn't follow you). Go straight ahead back out of the dark room and up the staircase (another man at the top), and then there will be another staircase to your right, at the top of which is a closed gate. Go up and open this gate and you have opened a shortcut to the second lantern which I think is called 'Central Yarnham' if you jump there from Hunter's Dream. Now, to get to the boss quickly go back down to the dark room. There should be three more enemies in there (one on the bottom floor and two up the stairs, and then go out the exit on on the top floor. There's another man at the top of the stairs and if you look left you will now be past the two werewolves (thank fuck). Go left and you will come to a brick troll and three flightless ravens, and then immediately behind them is the fog gate for the first boss, the Cleric Beast. Good luck, 'cause it's a total bastard!
Thanks! I totally did not see that area with the cages and will try that today.

Thanks! I totally did not see that area with the cages and will try that today.

I was looking for a YouTube vid for you to help, but cannot find one as they all seem to reach the shortcut by getting past the werewolves. If I do manage to find one I'll link you up, but you don't need to go as far as the werewolves to find the shortcut, so make sure you stay in the area with the big dude banging on the gate. I hated those werewolf bastards and probably died more to them than the boss!

EDIT - I've said the word 'bastard' a lot in the last couple of posts!

You can run past the warewolves and they can't follow you through the doorway down the stairs so can be cheesed there. An early cheese tactic, the next time you encounter that enemy type you should have upgraded your weapon and they would be much easier.

On that, it's worth doing a little farming/getting to know the area to upgrade your weapon to +3 whilst still in the first area. The wolf men enemies drop shards pretty regularly and the souls you get from doing the run a few times is perfect for buying an early stock of blood vials, iirc the price goes up after Gascoigne(?)

You can run past the warewolves and they can't follow you through the doorway down the stairs so can be cheesed there. An early cheese tactic, the next time you encounter that enemy type you should have upgraded your weapon and they would be much easier.

On that, it's worth doing a little farming/getting to know the area to upgrade your weapon to +3 whilst still in the first area. The wolf men enemies drop shards pretty regularly and the souls you get from doing the run a few times is perfect for buying an early stock of blood vials, iirc the price goes up after Gascoigne(?)

I just grinded most of the early enemies to get a stock of blood vials. It can be annoying sometimes, but when running low I often warp back to Central Yarnham and run-through past all of the bonfire enemies which usually allows me to re-stock.

https://youtu.be/KIebWVN3Za4?t=568

He needs to get past the gathering in this one.

This video is amazing, helped me a lot on my start.

Nice video; thanks. Good ol' PS Access.

First of all, use cane in transformed mode, always, primary form is for 1vs1 or close spaces.

The first part of Central yharman have corridors, go there inmediately because going to the main road can aggro all the enemies while being on the corridor you aggro parts of enemies, there are not lamps there but chortcuts to go back to the lamp so you will invest a good bunch of time exploring and gathering material so getting lost is the best option and use blood echoes to rise your stats, remember to save your pistol bulltets for big enemies and dont waste them on civilians. Also pistols are for disengage in this game,

Found the shortcut, killed the Cleric Beast on my first try. I am still shaking.

Good for you dude. Yeah, the boss battles are intense and can leave you a bit shaken. Say hello to Father Gascoigne for me - I'm just on my way to him myself. Just unlocked the elevator shortcut and levelled my axe up a couple of times. Think I'm ready to try and make some proper progress now!

I used all 20 my Blood Vials though, heh.
I might pause for today, that was enough, gonna explore and farm a bit tomorrow.

By the way, do you know if you use all your blood vials then warp to the Hunter's Dream, when you come back if you had excess blood vials they will now be in your inventory? I think/assume it does the same with bullets as well.

aravuus

Speaking of beating Cleric Beast on the first try: we played a Bloodborne drinking game with a couple of friends a few weeks ago (die you finish your drink, player gets a visceral attack and everyone drinks etc) and I had to fight the Cleric Beast first. Obviously I was nervous, I had a full pint of beer, we were streaming and I had actually never beaten CB by myself before.

But since I had just recently manned up and finished the game almost completely by myself, CB was incredibly easy. Like it was just insane to think how much trouble the boss had given me before, I think we were still lvl 4 at that point too. I went on to beat Father Gascoigne on the first try too, another boss I had always had a hard time with.

Almost beat BSB on the first try, too. I had gotten the boss to like 10% health, I was doing pretty well with a bunch of antidotes and vials left. Things are getting exciting, and.. One of the absolute cunts decides to connect his controller at the precise moment the boss charges me. Looked very dramatic on the stream, I'm facing off the boss and suddenly the PS4 waiting screen comes up for like 4-5 seconds and when it returns to the game, there was that big "YOU DIED" text on the screen.

Top Bottom