• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Nev

Banned
I found the saw spear and bought the full hunter set in hunters dream. I like that weapon, like it a lot!

I completed my first playthrough with that alone, it's one of the best weapons in the game imo. I don't think the cleaver is better at all. It lacks the thrust attacks and its transformed moveset is weird. It looks cooler though.

Everytime I go back to the spear I think "alright, going easy mode".

I'll have to go back to the saw spear and see what I think of it. I remember I used it a bit on my first playthrough, but just defaulted back to the axe which I had already started upgrading at that point.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I got the cleaver and changed the weapon somehow and didnt understood why I made so few damage suddenly. I thought I broke something permanently, until I noticed that I started with the saw spear and changed back.

Will it be later so much more powerful?

Also, I wanted to ask all the days if you could recommend me a good distance weapon that is avaiable after beating Rom.

I got the cleaver and changed the weapon somehow and didnt understood why I made so few damage suddenly. I thought I broke something permanently, until I noticed that I started with the saw spear and changed back.

Also, I wanted to ask all the days if you could recommend me a good distance weapon that is avaiable after beating Rom.

Cleaver is effective against beasts due its innate damage while the spear have extra serration on the start so thats myabe you feel it stronger than then Cleaver, the Cleaver can start weak but scales better than the Spear but the Spear is strong enough to hold to to the end of the game where you can find better weapons.

After Rom , mmmm Only the Scythe but is an endgame weapon , Amygdala Arm , Simon Bow and the Pizza cutter appears on the DLC .

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF

By Rom, you have access to a lot of weapons already. There's the Burial Blade, but that's an endgame weapon.

Ranged weapons are hard to recommend because it very, very much depends on your playstyle and whether you like that weapon's moveset. For example, a lot of people like the Burial Blade but it didn't really click with me.

Other weapons that you may have already come across that have good range:
- Threaded Cane
- Hunter's Axe
- Ludwig's Holy Blade
- Amygdalan Arm (DLC)
- Beast Cutter (DLC)
- Whirlygig Saw aka Pizza Cutter (DLC)
- Simon's Bowblade (DLC)
- Beasthunter Saif (DLC) <-- if you like the saw spear/saw cleaver, then this one might be just for you.

Remember that a weapon's power greatly depends on its upgrade level and the gems you've put into it. So if you go from a +6 weapon with gems in it to a weapon with no gems or upgrades, you'll see a huge drop in power.

Fucking Father Gascoigne. Fought him about five times now; he's destroyed me twice, I've got close to beating him twice and the last time I was about 2 hits from beating him but got backed into a corner and couldn't dodge his attacks.

Fucking Father Gascoigne. Fought him about five times now; he's destroyed me twice, I've got close to beating him twice and the last time I was about 2 hits from beating him but got backed into a corner and couldn't dodge his attacks.

You can kite him to the stairs, jump off and keep kite him

Ayyyy

I just imported the goty edition and it finally arrived. Anyone up for joining me tonight on a new character roll?

Psn: ronaldmonster

Ayyyy

I just imported the goty edition and it finally arrived. Anyone up for joining me tonight on a new character roll?

Psn: ronaldmonster

I'm just about to go to bed in a minute, but I'm near the beginning of the game (two bosses down) so I'll fire you over a friend request. I'm Telminator-2. I'm in the UK and tend to play from about 11pm - 1am at night.

Exuro

You can kite him to the stairs, jump off and keep kite him
I got him stuck on the stairs, ran down to the side and was able to just use the extended saw cleaver until he died. Felt super cheap but at the same time it was fair game.

I got the Bloodborne platinum the other day. Last tropy I needed was defeating the queen, which was kind of a let down in terms of difficulty compared to earlier chalice dungeon bosses.

Now I need to decide to either get the Old Hunter dlc now and play through that or take a break and pick it up when its on sale.

cj_iwakura

I kind of like how they surprise you with it. After a while I feel like you're able to recognise what is a boss area, but it's kind of a shock and a surprise when you wander in somewhere.

Never fails to make me feel stupid, though.

"Wait, why is there a lifebar, I didn't see a- oh hell"

I got him stuck on the stairs, ran down to the side and was able to just use the extended saw cleaver until he died. Felt super cheap but at the same time it was fair game.

I got the Bloodborne platinum the other day. Last tropy I needed was defeating the queen, which was kind of a let down in terms of difficulty compared to earlier chalice dungeon bosses.

Now I need to decide to either get the Old Hunter dlc now and play through that or take a break and pick it up when its on sale.
Buy the DLC now and enjoy. But realize you have to run through a bit of NG+ to unlock the DLC zone.

And NG+ DLC can be a beast...

Bleh feel like I hit the wall a bit. I really liked going through the game with no real direction before but now its starting to grate on me. I can't tell if I'm going the right way or missed many things.

Beat Rom, tried to go through the area after him a bit with the blood villiagers. Made it to the broken lamp and died a bunch. Tried the Nightmare Frontier and seems like its the place to be given how much damage I do to stuff there. No idea though. Same for weapons since I found like 2 or 3 total and bought the others.

Still enjoying it but feeling frustrated too with having any inkling of where I should be attempting to go. Played about 4 hours yesterday only getting Rom, and the hidden entrance to the clinic done.

Bleh feel like I hit the wall a bit. I really liked going through the game with no real direction before but now its starting to grate on me. I can't tell if I'm going the right way or missed many things.

Beat Rom, tried to go through the area after him a bit with the blood villiagers. Made it to the broken lamp and died a bunch. Tried the Nightmare Frontier and seems like its the place to be given how much damage I do to stuff there. No idea though. Same for weapons since I found like 2 or 3 total and bought the others.

Still enjoying it but feeling frustrated too with having any inkling of where I should be attempting to go. Played about 4 hours yesterday only getting Rom, and the hidden entrance to the clinic done.

After Rom you get teleported to the last phase on Y
ahargul
, go there the doors are open now to the next area

cj_iwakura

Wait, so I don't need to do the Nightmare Frontier after Byrgenwerth? Oh well, I'm almost done with the boss.

I also reached Cainhurst. I love the area, especially the rooftops... then I got to the boss.

Ow.

After Rom you get teleported to the last phase on Y
ahargul
, go there the doors are open now to the next area

Yeah I was talking about the optional areas. The main story ones are pretty clear, but knowing there are areas that I can't even fathom where to begin looking for is always gnawing at the back of my brain while playing.

I've been spending my time upgrading my character, buying better armour and running through everywhere in Central Yarnham a lot of times to stock up on resources. I think I'm about level 28, and I'm mainly levelling up Vitality, Strength and Endurance. I'm not really using my gun yet; is it the kind of thing I need to master for later enemies in the game, in the same way Lord Gwyn in Dark Souls was pretty simple if you were good at parrying, but a bit of a bastard if you had not put effort into parrying (which I had not)? Anyway, I'm now in the Cathedral Ward, and I've not gone too far as I tend to go back to the lanterns to return to Hunter's Dream once I've collected a bunch of Blood Echoes. Last time I played the game I got just past the Blood Starved Beast (with the help of a co-op buddy), then got trapped in the Unseen Village (which is where I stopped playing). One thing I love is those huge tall lanky men in the white clothing - there's something about them I find really creepy.

cj_iwakura

Yeah I was talking about the optional areas. The main story ones are pretty clear, but knowing there are areas that I can't even fathom where to begin looking for is always gnawing at the back of my brain while playing.
I keep missing the story ones in favor of the optional ones, lol.

Toxi

Banned
I've been spending my time upgrading my character, buying better armour and running through everywhere in Central Yarnham a lot of times to stock up on resources. I think I'm about level 28, and I'm mainly levelling up Vitality, Strength and Endurance. I'm not really using my gun yet; is it the kind of thing I need to master for later enemies in the game, in the same way Lord Gwyn in Dark Souls was pretty simple if you were good at parrying, but a bit of a bastard if you had not put effort into parrying (which I had not)? Anyway, I'm now in the Cathedral Ward, and I've not gone too far as I tend to go back to the lanterns to return to Hunter's Dream once I've collected a bunch of Blood Echoes. Last time I played the game I got just past the Blood Starved Beast (with the help of a co-op buddy), then got trapped in the Unseen Village (which is where I stopped playing). One thing I love is those huge tall lanky men in the white clothing - there's something about them I find really creepy.
Don't level up endurance too much. 20 is the maximum for most builds IIRC. Bloodborne's really generous with stamina.

The tall lanky Michael Myers-looking fellas are much easier if you use the gun to parry them.

This machine gunner at the top of the tower in Old Yarnham is a proper cunt. He killed me at the bottom while I was fighting the other hunter, and then I went to the top of the tower to fight him and he just demolished me. From looking at YouTube it seems like the best tactic is to hope he falls off the tower, but is there a better way of beating him? When I last played a couple of years ago I got very lucky and he fell off while I was climbing the ladder.

cj_iwakura

This machine gunner at the top of the tower in Old Yarnham is a proper cunt. He killed me at the bottom while I was fighting the other hunter, and then I went to the top of the tower to fight him and he just demolished me. From looking at YouTube it seems like the best tactic is to hope he falls off the tower, but is there a better way of beating him? When I last played a couple of years ago I honor very lucky and he fell off while I was climbing the ladder.

Rush him and attack, he'll go stumbling off the cliff.

Who's dreaming now, punk?

So, I'm levelling up my axe and I know Bloodborne doesn't have a wealth of different weapons compared to the Souls games. Will the axe do me through to the end of the game, or should I think about switching it for something better? It's currently +3 but I want to make it stronger.

So, I'm levelling up my axe and I know Bloodborne doesn't have a wealth of different weapons compared to the Souls games. Will the axe do me through to the end of the game, or should I think about switching it for something better? It's currently +3 but I want to make it stronger.
Any weapon will see you through to the end, if you like the moveset go for it.

Jobbs

Banned

for the most part stuff isn't really "better"

and yeah axe is pretty easy IMO. spin2win

JarrodL

So, um. How the hell do you beat Shadows of Yharnam. This fight is insane, I can't dodge all this shit. Seems like one of them is always off somewhere out of my field of view, so I keep getting hit and eventually just run out of healing items. Meanwhile, they get progressively crazier with each phase. Normally I'd go explore somewhere else for a while, but this is the only path left unchecked as far as I can tell.

Veelk

Banned
So, um. How the hell do you beat Shadows of Yharnam. This fight is insane, I can't dodge all this shit. Seems like one of them is always off somewhere out of my field of view, so I keep getting hit and eventually just run out of healing items. Meanwhile, they get progressively crazier with each phase. Normally I'd go explore somewhere else for a while, but this is the only path left unchecked as far as I can tell.

Kill the normal katana wielder first. It is called the Happy Feet tactic, you'll learn why.

Kill the katana dude and work your way down from there. If you can get the visceral timing he's cake. With the rest of them just corner them. They pretty much bug out and get less aggressive when you're in their face.

Nev

Banned

Every weapon is viable throughout the whole game, unlike in Dark Souls and its so-called "better" weapon selection.

So, um. How the hell do you beat Shadows of Yharnam.

Use the big gravestone to your advantage ie block the casters fireballs while you deal with the sword guy. It's like the main advice for that fight.

The axe is great but don't hesitate in trying the other weapons. Bloodborne may have less weapons than the Souls games, but the trick weapons in Bloodborne are way more unique and interesting IMO, especially with the DLC.

Goldboy

One of the upsides to Bloodborne's weapon selection being smaller than that of the Souls games is that every weapon is totally viable through the entire game.

Just beat the Blood Starved Beast on my first go. Thank you and Rest in Peace Alfred. Not entirely sure who you were, but your help was much appreciated regardless!

After I've defeated it, can I progress through its derelict Cathedral, or is that me finished in this area for now? I don't see any other way forward, besides that big locked door over by where the werewolves were patrolling. It was locked from the other side, anyway.

So I came to a locked door high up in Cathedral Ward and someone had put a note in front saying "Remember Unseen Village". I don't have to go to that bloody place, do I? That's where I abandoned the game last time as it was just too difficult for me. I mean, if not there then I'm pretty lost, as I cannot find another way forward in Central Yarnham, Cathedral Ward or Old Yarnham.

AndersK

So I came to a locked door high up in Cathedral Ward and someone had put a note in front saying "Remember Unseen Village". I don't have to go to that bloody place, do I? That's where I abandoned the game last time as it was just too difficult for me. I mean, if not there then I'm pretty lost, as I cannot find another way forward in Central Yarnham, Cathedral Ward or Old Yarnham.

Unseen is purely optional at this point. You'll return later. I think you need to take a better look around in the cathedral ward, if you're where i think you are. Have you tried the other exit form Oedon Chapel, the one not leading to Old Yharnam?

cj_iwakura

I loved that fight. Get the mage first.

I'm pretty terrified of Cainhurst's boss.

Top Bottom