• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

aravuus

This is sound advice (brick trolls almost always drop 2-3 blood vials), however at point 2 I would clear out the house then run back up the stairs and aggro the two werewolves and let them follow you down to the house as they can't get in the entrance, so they're easy pickings and you should get 3 vials from each of them as well.

Those are the beasts I mentioned, yes, but good point with the cheese tactic.

GHG

I'm now at
nightmare or mensis
and haven't touched the chalice dungeons yet. Should I be doing them? Also is level 90 high enough to take a stab at the DLC?

I'm now at
nightmare or mensis
and haven't touched the chalice dungeons yet. Should I be doing them? Also is level 90 high enough to take a stab at the DLC?

i've never bothered with chalice dungeons. maybe my next playthrough (3rd).

i was lvl 96 when i started the DLC. finished at lvl 125. it's still quite challenging. you should be fine. just make sure you get your VIT to 50 if you haven't already.

I'm now at
nightmare or mensis

I think someone mentioned a couple of pages back at least 90+ for the DLC. I'm not ready for that yet though! Think my character is in the high 60s level now, and I've been doing a bit of grinding around Cathedral Ward and down to the right of Amelia's Cathedral where the two Executioners patrol. If I spend 10-15 minutes running around there I can level up a couple of times.

aravuus

I started the DLC when I was around 75-80, I believe, and managed just fine. It's still hard, but I think 90 is definitely enough.

And, well, if it seems too hard... Just come back later! It's not like you're locked into doing it or anything like that.

Sorry, I missed that part.

And yeah, I knew what you meant, but calling the mid-transformation were-beasts 'slender boys' is pretty great! :) They can be absolutely brutal at lower levels.

Oh, no worries! And yeah, being able to one-hit them later on is very satisfying.

I started the DLC when I was around 75-80, I believe, and managed just fine. It's still hard, but I think 90 is definitely enough.

And, well, if it seems too hard... Just come back later! It's not like you're locked into doing it or anything like that.

That's true; maybe I should give the DLC a whirl too. In the very least, I'd like to pick up some new weapons to try as I've been using the axe 100% of the time. I normally two-hand it and I've barely even been using my gun.

Melchiah

I'm now at
nightmare or mensis

Level 90 is certainly enough for it, especially after getting +18% physical attack gems and Blood Chunk for your preferred weapon from that area. The higher gems and runes from the chalices will make it easier though. The gems go up to +27%, but getting them demands a lot of work. +30% visceral damage rune is particularly handy in the DLC.

GHG

Thanks for the tips guys. I got started with the DLC today and got the
beast cutter and boom hammer
weapons already. Holy shit they are nice.

Not having any difficulty with the
hunters
but initially got my arse handed to me by the big guy at the
grand catherderal
. Loving it so far. Nice change of pace away from the frenzy fest that the main game is at the moment.

My stake driver +9 is doing good work.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
So, when I run out of blood vials is my only option to grind them or buy them? I keep running out when I go up against new bosses, and I'm sick of farming in Central Yarnham.

Edit : oops, double post
Sadly yes.

The brick guys are good for farming in early game, but later in the game there are a few areas that either drop vials or give enough echos to buy tons of vials yourself later.

It's really only a big early game hinderance, which really sucks because that's when you're most likely to run out of vials because you're still getting used to the game.

psyfi

Banned
Sadly yes.

The brick guys are good for farming in early game, but later in the game there are a few areas that either drop vials or give enough echos to buy tons of vials yourself later.

It's really only a big early game hinderance, which really sucks because that's when you're most likely to run out of vials because you're still getting used to the game.
I had a solid backstock of vials until I came up against BSB... And now I'm having a hard time with the axe dude who has candles on his back. I love Souls/BB, but man I hate boss fights, haha.

I had a solid backstock of vials until I came up against BSB... And now I'm having a hard time with the axe dude who has candles on his back. I love Souls/BB, but man I hate boss fights, haha.

Axe dude with candles on his back... That's not ringing a bell at all (no pun intended). Is it an actual boss?

GHG

Axe dude with candles on his back... That's not ringing a bell at all (no pun intended). Is it an actual boss?

First chalice dungeon boss. The only reason I know is because I did the first chalice dungeon for the first time this afternoon.

It was a breeze for me but that's because I left it so long and ended up being massively over levelled for it. Sorry I can't offer any tips, I just steamrolled through him.

First chalice dungeon boss. The only reason I know is because I did the first chalice dungeon for the first time this afternoon.

It was a breeze for me but that's because I left it so long and ended up being massively over levelled for it. Sorry I can't offer any tips, I just steamrolled through him.

Oh right, the something or other giant. I thought he had scythes on his arms rather than axes, but no matter. His range gave me a bit of trouble but I best him by basically sprinting behind him when I could and R2ing the shit out of him.

Oh right, the something or other giant. I thought he had scythes on his arms rather than axes, but no matter. His range gave me a bit of trouble but I best him by basically sprinting behind him when I could and R2ing the shit out of him.
You don't know the pain of Undead Giant until you fight the one with a ball and chain grafted to his spine.

Oidisco

Hey so I'm playing this for the first time. I generally trying to avoid looking up guides, but I know about the
umbilical cord
quest.
I went to the clinic and accidentally turned Iosesfa hostile, but I left without attacking her.
Am I screwed now or will I be able to come back later?

Melchiah

Hey so I'm playing this for the first time. I generally trying to avoid looking up guides, but I know about the
umbilical cord
quest.
I went to the clinic and accidentally turned Iosesfa hostile, but I left without attacking her.

There are four of them, and you only need three.

umbilical cord
quest.

Super edit.

if you
kill her you get a special rune but no cord
, I dont think she turn neutral anymore, sorry

Tecl0n

Question, i never found
Eileen
so i'm missing a weapon. I'm finding conflicting reports,
supposedly if you never found her then she'll appear and fight you at the Grand Chapel lamp but nothing is there.
I guess i'll just have to NG+?

Question, i never found
Eileen
so i'm missing a weapon. I'm finding conflicting reports,
supposedly if you never found her then she'll appear and fight you at the Grand Chapel lamp but nothing is there.
I guess i'll just have to NG+?

Which phase are you ? she moves to the chapel after Rom

Made my way through the Forbidden Woods and opened the shortcut back to the very start of the game. Amazing how it all joins together, just like in Dark Souls 1. The level design is so damn good. That part with the giants in the poison swamp at the bottom was tricky though. Don't even think I'm going to use the shortcut. Will play some more tomorrow and hopefully get to the boss of the Forbidden Woods, and it also seems I have more of Central Yarnham to explore behind the clinic as well now.

Made my way through the Forbidden Woods and opened the shortcut back to the very start of the game. Amazing how it all joins together, just like in Dark Souls 1. The level design is so damn good. That part with the giants in the poison swamp at the bottom was tricky though. Don't even think I'm going to use the shortcut. Will play some more tomorrow and hopefully get to the boss of the Forbidden Woods, and it also seems I have more of Central Yarnham to explore behind the clinic as well now.

Ah, that area is not a shortcut but the start of a sidequest

In the final phase, kinda hit another wall but this time with the bosses. Seem to do little damage to them and finding no help at the moment. Which is fine since the Castle area reignighted my interest in playing.

Been considering making a new character and new game since I missed so many items, npcs, and what not but also just kinda want to finish it if possible. Really love this games aesthetic though each time I turn it on!

I picked up my near end game save after not playing for several months and beat down
Mergo's Wet Nurse, Gehrman, and then Ludwig
in the DLC. I have no idea how many hours I have in this game PVE (lots), but it was still incredible to be back. My opinion on Dark Souls 3 is much higher now after giving that game a break and coming back to it, but BB just feels like perfection. There was no rust, and the Blade of Mercy, then Burial Blade, was doing work. Probably going to finish up the DLC and do a couple NG+ cycles. Maybe go for my 5th Yharnam stone, since I'm a sick person.

Phazon_Chaos

Neo Member
I've been working through the game for the first time, and I got up to the point where all I have left is
Nightmare of Mensis and everything after
, so I decided to work on the DLC. It's been tough, but I made it to
Orphan of Kos
and holy crap is this hard. I've switched up my gear a bit and read some strategies, so I can pretty reliably get into the second phase of the fight now, but I've been having particular trouble with the attack in the second phase where it jumps high into the air then slams down. No matter how I try dodging, it always seems to hit me, regardless of what direction I dodge related to where it was coming from. Any tips for this? Am I just dodging too early?

psyfi

Banned

Yup, that's the guy I'm talking about. And it's optional? I figured it was the next step in the story. I got a key from beating BSB too, but I can't figure out where to use it... Should I go figure that out instead?

GHG

Yup, that's the guy I'm talking about. And it's optional? I figured it was the next step in the story. I got a key from beating BSB too, but I can't figure out where to use it... Should I go figure that out instead?

The item he drops is the thing to unlock the first chalice but you don't have to do it now. I didn't do it until I hit level 90 because I just forgot about it to be honest.

To progress you have two options; either buy the key from the messengers in the hunters dream or if you want to get there without spending blood echoes there's a door in catherderal ward that should be open for you to go and explore a new area. It's to the right if you are facing away from the lamp in there but.

The second option is the one that's more fun and better for you in the long run in my opinion, there are some good encounters and you can get some pretty good stuff.

Ah, that area is not a shortcut but the start of a sidequest

Oh, cool. I went back to the Forbidden Woods. I'll finish up there tonight and then explore the side-quest. I also got a pretty good amount of Blood Echoes from the giants in the poison swamp, so I may go back and tackle them a few more times. Think I'm about level 72 now.

Velikost

So I'm doing clean-up before the last boss fight, and I just went to Cainhurst. I encountered the
Queen of the Vilebloods
at the end. If I
join the Vilebloods
does that mess with
Alfred's questline
at all? Should I wait until I've completed that and then just
revive the Queen and join
afterwards?

So, I have a question - if I'm not summoning other players online is there really any benefit to the Insight system? I bought a few bits of armour from the bath in Hunter's Dream last night using Insight, but other than that and a stock of Insight making some things look different (such as
being able to see the Amygdala in Cathedral Ward
), should I be holding on to it? Using it to buy stuff? Using Madman's Knowledge to get more Insight? I know some enemies can suck it out of you, but if I'm not really using it anyway would that actually matter?

EDIT - also, that village section in the Forbidden Woods is amazing. It really reminds me of the beginning of Resident Evil 4, but if anything even more creepy and atmospheric.

I usually just save up insight to buy blood rocks and chunks usually these days. My weapons aren't going to +10 themselves.

Yep. You get enough insight in the game, that if you're just playing PVE, you can buy a couple of blood rocks, and all the armor available. That's a minimum of 4 +10 weapons if you have the DLC, and don't search rocks out in the chalice dungeons.

Yep. You get enough insight in the game, that if you're just playing PVE, you can buy a couple of blood rocks, and all the armor available. That's a minimum of 4 +10 weapons if you have the DLC, and don't search rocks out in the chalice dungeons.
I was able to do about 3 +10 weapons in one game cause of the dlc and insight. You'd probably have to reroll a lot of chalices to get to 4 in my opinion.

I was able to do about 3 +10 weapons in one game cause of the dlc and insight. You'd probably have to reroll a lot of chalices to get to 4 in my opinion.

2 from the game and 2 from insight is normal for me, without dungeons. Insight you gain normally from playing (seeing and beating bosses, NPC quests, finding new places), and then Madmans's Knowledge (+1), Great One's Wisdom (+2), and the cords (+3) adds up. I just picked up my 3rd rock on my most recent character (no depth 5 dungeons yet), and I haven't got the one in the DLC yet.

Doesn't higher Insight give some enemies additional attacks to use on you?

I swear that there were creatures that started doing new things once I had a higher insight as I ran back through certain areas.

Doesn't higher Insight give some enemies additional attacks to use on you?

I swear that there were creatures that started doing new things once I had a higher insight as I ran back through certain areas.

It doesn't happen often, but certain enemies have additional attacks, and an area will have enemies you normally wouldn't see.

2 from the game and 2 from insight is normal for me, without dungeons. Insight you gain normally from playing (seeing and beating bosses, NPC quests, finding new places), and then Madmans's Knowledge (+1), Great One's Wisdom (+2), and the cords (+3) adds up. I just picked up my 3rd rock on my most recent character (no depth 5 dungeons yet), and I haven't got the one in the DLC yet.
Yeah, makes sense. I really don't use everything I get for some odd reason. I just have it stockpiled...barely use great ones wisdom for some odd reason. I just get mine mostly from dungeon crawling and just finding stuff.

Veelk

Banned
Jesus, QP is wrenched today. Keep losing game after game, even though I feel I'm doing relatively well with Roadhog, getting atleast one full kill per life on average. I mean, I hate to be the one to blame it all on my team, but some days it just feels like I'm the only sane person stuck in a room full of crazies.

Jesus, QP is wrenched today. Keep losing game after game, even though I feel I'm doing relatively well with Roadhog, getting atleast one full kill per life on average. I mean, I hate to be the one to blame it all on my team, but some days it just feels like I'm the only sane person stuck in a room full of crazies.

Man, Roadhog was the toughest boss! I hate it when you get him down to 1/3 health and he goes into frenzy beast transformation mode.

Veelk

Banned
Man, Roadhog was the toughest boss! I hate it when you get him down to 1/3 health and he goes into frenzy beast transformation mode.

You know what, I'm not even gonna transfer that post over to the OW thread. I'm just gonna leave it here .

And honestly, a Bloodbornified version of Overwatch characters would be pretty sick to see.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Everyone wears dirty rags and has a cool old British accent.

DVa's mech is a weird eldrich monster that spits her out.

You know what, I'm not even gonna transfer that post over to the OW thread. I'm just gonna leave it here .

And honestly, a Bloodbornified version of Overwatch characters would be pretty sick to see.

Ohh, majestic! A gamer is a gamer, even in the wrong thread.

Top Bottom