• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

You know what, I'm not even gonna transfer that post over to the OW thread. I'm just gonna leave it here .

And honestly, a Bloodbornified version of Overwatch characters would be pretty sick to see.

Everyone wears dirty rags and has a cool old British accent.

DVa's mech is a weird eldrich monster that spits her out.

Damn, I'm liking this idea already! Roadhog would actually fit pretty well, as a huge troll with a big hook & chain on one arm, and a hammer in the other.

Man, I love the Forbidden Woods. It's so twisting and confusing and oppressive, and the little snake enemies that are about the same height as the grass are fuckers, and it feels kinda like even the environment is out to get you because everything is poisonous. I've managed to open both shortcuts (when I realised where the second shortcut brought me out it was a huge relief!) and I just need to find the boss now. Unfortunately I'll have to do that tomorrow as it's getting late and my son just woke up so I had to come and settle him back to sleep.

Definitely need to level up more lol. My main character is only 41, no wonder the final phase is so tough, my stats are garbo.

Also made a new character, mostly messing with the character creator since I just used a preset the first time. Ended up playing an hour and a half, and getting past Father Gascoigne, helping people kill Cleric Beast, as well as finding most of the optional stuff up to that point. Feels better this time lol. Doubt I'll stick to this character though and focus on my first one.

How are the chalice dungeons for leveling up? I never used the one from the Bloodstarved Beast. Or should I just roam around an area that I am confident in killing the monsters.

Definitely need to level up more lol. My main character is only 41, no wonder the final phase is so tough, my stats are garbo.

Also made a new character, mostly messing with the character creator since I just used a preset the first time. Ended up playing an hour and a half, and getting past Father Gascoigne, helping people kill Cleric Beast, as well as finding most of the optional stuff up to that point. Feels better this time lol. Doubt I'll stick to this character though and focus on my first one.

How are the chalice dungeons for leveling up? I never used the one from the Bloodstarved Beast. Or should I just roam around an area that I am confident in killing the monsters.

I did an awful lot of levelling up in Cathedral Ward early on. After beating the Witch of Hemwick another good spot I've found is to go from her abode, kill all three Executioners and then go back through the level to Cathedral Ward, down past Amelia's Grand Cathedral to kill the Snatcher and other two Executioners and then finish by again cleaning up the Church Doctors and Reapers through the level.

Alright, had another quick go before coming up to bed, and I beat the Shadows of Yarnham. Pretty good boss, I thought - I like battles against foes of similar size as well as all the bigger, more epic fights. The last one gave me a fair bit of trouble as he kept me at a distance with his extending chain sword, and then kept summoning snake heads out of the ground to keep me on my toes. Got 'em though, so it's back to the Hunter's Dream and then on to the next area.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Got the boss of Nightmare of Mensis halfway down before I died to carelessness.

It's gonna get worse, isn't it?

Well that depends on which boss you're talking about

where should i go after vicar amelia? it looks like my options are hemwick charnel lane, forbidden woods, and unseen village. i've already done old yharnam and bsb.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
where should i go after vicar amelia? it looks like my options are hemwick charnel lane, forbidden woods, and unseen village. i've already done old yharnam and bsb.

Go through Hemwich Charnel lane, then to the Unseen village and try to get the weapon at the end of the road, then through the woods.

Melchiah

I was able to do about 3 +10 weapons in one game cause of the dlc and insight. You'd probably have to reroll a lot of chalices to get to 4 in my opinion.

I've got six +10 weapons. Two from playing the main game twice, one from the DLC, two from chalices, and one with insight. Plus two +9 weapons, Blades of Mercy and Burial Blade.

Here are those +10 weapons with gems from the chalices and Winter Lanterns.
UEmfTkd.jpg
qcoFguM.jpg

AG0qtzh.jpg
zaevDFe.jpg

sh1US5v.jpg
0mrEftf.jpg

Milijango

I've got six +10 weapons. Two from playing the main game twice, one from the DLC, two from chalices, and one with insight. Plus two +9 weapons, Blades of Mercy and Burial Blade.

I have all 26 right hand weapons (and most of the offhand ones) at +10 after 7 playthroughs, though I only have enough good gems to use 5-6 at once.

Seeing as there are two per playthrough and three from chalice dungeons I must have spent 600+ insight on Blood Rocks. A few were lucky drops in chalice dungeons, though.

Melchiah

I have all 26 right hand weapons (and most of the offhand ones) at +10 after 7 playthroughs, though I only have enough good gems to use 5-6 at once.

Seeing as there are two per playthrough and three from chalice dungeons I must have spent 600+ insight on Blood Rocks. A few were lucky drops in chalice dungeons, though.

Huh, that's pretty amazing. I spent a lot of insight on consumables, before Blood Rocks became available for purchase. =/

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Anyone who would be interested in slaying Martyrer Longarius today? :) Wanna do this in about 6 hours and I desperatly need some assistance

I have never leveled any of my characters to 230, Jesus Christ.

Melchiah

I have never leveled any of my characters to 230, Jesus Christ.

Well, that's after 191 hours, according to the game's timer. I did a plenty of Blood Echoes farming in Mergo's Loft, because I wanted to be able to use all the weapons, and the arcane hunter tools. I've also played through all the chalices, Ihyll twice, and a handful of depth 5 Root ones. My other character is at level 136 after 53 hours spent on the main game, DLC, and some of the earlier chalices.

tebunker

Banned
So I've been playing off an on for the last 3 months or so. I am finally at the end. The end end. I have my 3 pack of needed items, but I still have the dlc in front of me.

I guess the reason I am posting is, I have heard that the Dlc considerably ramps up the difficulty. Should I just finish the game and play ng+ up to the dlc? Then beat the dlc? Or is the payoff for finishing the dlc worth it? I am in the mid 80's at the moment with a +10 Ludwigs Holy Blade. Nothing has given me pause in the Hunter's Nightmare yet, but I have read that folks struggled with my swords namesake.

Any insight is appreciated. Just trying to figure out if I should go for closure now in the main game or delay it some more.

Well, that's after 191 hours, according to the game's timer. I did a plenty of Blood Echoes farming in Mergo's Loft, because I wanted to be able to use all the weapons, and the arcane hunter tools. I've also played through all the chalices, Ihyll twice, and a handful of depth 5 Root ones. My other character is at level 136 after 53 hours spent on the main game, DLC, and some of the earlier chalices.
Yeah I have one in the 180's, 2 in the 140's and one I think in the 90's or some shit. Only one character has beaten the dlc though, one has platinumed it pre dlc and I have to deal with NG++ dlc on that character...fuck.

So I've been playing off an on for the last 3 months or so. I am finally at the end. The end end. I have my 3 pack of needed items, but I still have the dlc in front of me.

I guess the reason I am posting is, I have heard that the Dlc considerably ramps up the difficulty. Should I just finish the game and play ng+ up to the dlc? Then beat the dlc? Or is the payoff for finishing the dlc worth it? I am in the mid 80's at the moment with a +10 Ludwigs Holy Blade. Nothing has given me pause in the Hunter's Nightmare yet, but I have read that folks struggled with my swords namesake.

Any insight is appreciated. Just trying to figure out if I should go for closure now in the main game or delay it some more.

I'd just play the DLC before ending your NG run. NG+ ramps up the difficulty of the DLC bosses, and you won't have the experience of facing them on the easier NG to help you. You'll also get all the weapons and upgrade materials in the DLC to use for your NG+ run.

Melchiah

Yeah I have one in the 180's, 2 in the 140's and one I think in the 90's or some shit. Only one character has beaten the dlc though, one has platinumed it pre dlc and I have to deal with NG++ dlc on that character...fuck.

I was surprised how the difficulty varied in the DLC on NG+. Maria was harder to parry, while OoK was easier. The Threaded Cane enemy hunter in the Research Hall took me at least half a dozen tries on NG+, due to the instant death parry+visceral combo, when it took only one try originally. And I still haven't managed to beat the optional DLC boss on NG+.

I was surprised how the difficulty varied in the DLC on NG+. Maria was harder to parry, while OoK was easier. The Threaded Cane enemy hunter in the Research Hall took me at least half a dozen tries on NG+, due to the instant death parry+visceral combo, when it took only one try originally. And I still haven't managed to beat the optional DLC boss on NG+.
Threaded Cane Hunter killed me once I think, wasn't happy to say the least cause I always fall to my death a couple of times in Research Hall, fell to my death fighting the two rats they have in the ceiling, I was fucking pissed.

Melchiah

Threaded Cane Hunter killed me once I think, wasn't happy to say the least cause I always fall to my death a couple of times in Research Hall, fell to my death fighting the two rats they have in the ceiling, I was fucking pissed.

I used +10 Evelyn for pest control there. It's a good option to have in those kind of situations.

Imagine how pissed I was, when the Cane hunter killed me when I was carrying ~300k echoes, and I fell to death while trying to retrieve them. Although, at 230 that's not enough to raise even a single level.

I used +10 Evelyn for pest control there. It's a good option to have in those kind of situations.

Imagine how pissed I was, when the Cane hunter killed me when I was carrying ~300k echoes, and I fell to death while trying to retrieve them. Although, at 230 that's not enough to raise even a single level.
I don't have to imagine since that's exactly what happened to me once. I have never +10'd the Evelyn for some odd reason, just don't want to waste a Blood Rock to me and I have two bloodtinge characters, it's weird. I don't know if this was posted before, but whelp...
Ludwig the Holy Blade (8-bit Remix/Arrange)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't have to imagine since that's exactly what happened to me once. I have never +10'd the Evelyn for some odd reason, just don't want to waste a Blood Rock to me and I have two bloodtinge characters, it's weird. I don't know if this was posted before, but whelp...
Holy shit that works so well... and I normally hate 8-bit chiptune stuff (though I love 16-bit music so go figure)

I started the DLC and I've been stuck at the first boss
Ludwig
for 3 hours. I just can't seem to put this guy down. No other boss in the game has given me this much trouble.

Also, this is my first run of the game and I'm a bit unsure where to proceed on my build -

VIT 40
END 21
STR 40
SKL 25
BLT 7
ARC 7

Should I invest 8 points into getting ARC to 15 for Empty Phantasm? Or should I invest those more on STR/SKL? Currently rocking a LHB but I'm getting a bit bored of the gameplay with this weapon - what is another good quality weapon that would be good for this build? is it too late to have a feasible MLGS build from this?

Pixieking

Banned
Ludwig
for 3 hours. I just can't seem to put this guy down. No other boss in the game has given me this much trouble.

Also, this is my first run of the game and I'm a bit unsure where to proceed on my build -

VIT 40
END 21
STR 40
SKL 25
BLT 7
ARC 7

Haven't hit that boss yet, but looking at your END, you'll get a lot more done by pushing that to at least 30 (and preferably look at a minimum 35).

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I started the DLC and...

Oh yeah, if you're going to put 8 in ARC then that'll bump you to the necessary stats for MLGS. Honestly, your stats are good for any weapon at this point. Look at what you have lying around and try what looks interesting. Though if your getting tired of the gameplay, and are interested in arcane, maybe try the Logarious Wheel? It's fun if you learn how to blitzkrieg, though against hunter enemies it can be a too slow if you're not careful.

If you're unsure about it, try opening up the first chalice dungeon if you haven't done it yet. The enemies are of such a hp threshold, you can go through with an unupgraded weapon just fine if you want to get used to the move sets and style. Maybe even go wild and play with a dex weapon down there?

Edit: Aslo note empty phantasm won't actually work on MLGS or LW fyi

Ludwig

VIT 40
END 21
STR 40
SKL 25
BLT 7
ARC 7

Should I invest 8 points into getting ARC to 15 for Empty Phantasm? Or should I invest those more on STR/SKL? Currently rocking a LHB but I'm getting a bit bored of the gameplay with this weapon - what is another good quality weapon that would be good for this build? is it too late to have a feasible MLGS build from this?

You havent reached the hard cap on any which is 50, if you are gonna keep using LHB then focus on str you will need all those points, first DLC boss is vulnerable to fire so bring some fire papers

Pixieking

Banned
Good to hear, that you're enjoying the game. I actually never experienced the effects of note-voting, since I played all my three playthroughs offline. Personally, I liked it that way; no scattered notes everywhere, no forewarning of what's to come, and most importantly no invasions.

I'll be damned if I pay for online play after spending the last decade using Steam, so I've been playing offline too. Having played online with the Dark Souls games (on PC), I think I much prefer the sheer loneliness of offline play - it really adds to the atmosphere, especially when you start hitting the surreal-horror of the late-game levels.

Milijango

Ludwig

VIT 40
END 21
STR 40
SKL 25
BLT 7
ARC 7

While it isn't too late to start putting points into Arcane you should only do so if you are committed to using an innately arcane weapon like the Holy Moonlight Sword, the Wheel, or the Tonitrus.

The Empty Phantasm Shell is absolute pittance especially against the second phase when his arcane resistance doubles. You'll be looking at an extra 10-20 points of damage at best. Fire Paper is better but not by much, at all. Beast Blood Pellets are always the best buff; you do take slightly more damage but it's worth it for the damage you do.

The Saw weapons are very good for this boss as they get +20% damage from serration (both phases, despite the fact that anti-beast gems don't work during part 2). Otherwise, just try movesets out and see what you like.

Ludwig

VIT 40
END 21
STR 40
SKL 25
BLT 7
ARC 7

man, i'm taking the exact opposite approach of your build. this is my first soulsborne game, and it feels like endurance is way more important than anything else. maybe i'm using it as a crutch?

Had a pretty good night last night. Made my way through
Byrgenwerth
(fuck me that place is disturbing) and defeated
Rom, The Stuff of Nightmares
. Had the Old Hunter guy nearby come and help me, and that was a good thing as he helped
crowd control the little spiders while I charged my axe with bolt paper and R2d the shit out of Rom

The enemies there though; goddamn. I really struggled with those
insect-face bastards,
and holy shit that fucking
brainsucker
behind the tree
took 6 insight from me
! The fight with the whip hunter inside the lodge was really great, and wasn't too hard once I started using the stairway to block her attacks.

Anyway, once I was done there I found Eileen
and finished her quest line by defeating that guy in the Grand Cathedral. I think that's her gone now? :(
Also, in Oedon Chapel
Arianna is dying and Adella the Nun is constantly laughing, which I assume confirms
her guilt. I then let the
Amygdala in Cathedral Ward grab me
, and I'm now making my way through
Hunter's Nightmare
. It's not too difficult so far, although very eerie. I like the way the
crazed hunters
just stroll around the place, and there are tons of them scattered around. I'm going to assume that the boss here will be
one of the Old Hunters

I'm about level 74 now, I think. Slowed down on the grinding a bit and I'm going to do a few more bosses before dipping my toes into the DLC.

man, i'm taking the exact opposite approach of your build. this is my first soulsborne game, and it feels like endurance is way more important than anything else. maybe i'm using it as a crutch?

Endurance is stamina, right? I only put that up to about 18, and then I've been putting all of my Blood Echoes into Vitality and Strength. Think they're about 39 and 35 respectively.

Endurance in Bloodborne is very lenient compared to all the other Souls games, it's the last thing I add points to because even base endurance can see you through. YMMV of course, but in general always try to keep from depleting it completely when fighting enemies. If your endurance bar empties after 6 hits, only do 5 so you have that little bit in reserve to make a dodge if needed and avoid enemy hits whilst it rebuilds.

Endurance in Bloodborne is very lenient compared to all the other Souls games, it's the last thing I add points to because even base endurance can see you through. YMMV of course, but in general always try to keep from depleting it completely when fighting enemies. If your endurance bar empties after 6 hits, only do 5 so you have that little bit in reserve to make a dodge if needed and avoid enemy hits whilst it rebuilds.

I've put very few upgrades into END, as I can get a four-hit combo two-handing my axe, which is enough to kill or at least stagger most enemies I've encountered so far. Especially as I've been putting a lot into STR so I'm hitting hard and have plenty of stamina (which regenerates pretty fast anyway).

Melchiah

I maxed Evelyn for the chalices. It helped a lot there against Abhorrent Beast, Undead Giant with balls and chains, Bloodlickers, and butt-naked Watchers. Basically, against those foes I wanted to keep a distance with.
EDIT: Here's a video of the Undead Giant fight in the Rotted Ihyll root chalice, where I used Evelyn and Bone Marrow Ash during the last phase: https://youtu.be/ICUpk20H7mI

That 8-bit remix is wonderful. =D

Here's another good one, The Celestial Mob from Bloodborne with the voice of Mr. Meeseeks from Rick and Morty: https://youtu.be/tSvQW7bfP8k

I'll be damned if I pay for online play after spending the last decade using Steam, so I've been playing offline too. Having played online with the Dark Souls games (on PC), I think I much prefer the sheer loneliness of offline play - it really adds to the atmosphere, especially when you start hitting the surreal-horror of the late-game levels.

Agreed on the increased sense of loneliness, and the scattered notes are somewhat an eyesore for me.

I've just really started getting to the horror aspects of the game, and I can imagine playing offline really increases the horror feel of it, with no notes to give tips of ambushes or tough enemies ahead, and things like that. I'm also cheating with a lot of the bosses, as I'm fairly over-levelled and I'm also able to summon an Old Hunter against most of them.

Tell you what, the baby crying in the background in some areas is really unsettling.

I've just really started getting to the horror aspects of the game, and I can imagine playing offline really increases the horror feel of it, with no notes to give tips of ambushes or tough enemies ahead, and things like that. I'm also cheating with a lot of the bosses, as I'm fairly over-levelled and I'm also able to summon an Old Hunter against most of them.

Tell you what, the baby crying in the background in some areas is really unsettling.

i honestly think this game is too intense with headphones. it seriously stresses me the fuck out.

Endurance is stamina, right? I only put that up to about 18, and then I've been putting all of my Blood Echoes into Vitality and Strength. Think they're about 39 and 35 respectively.

oh, i don't know what the hell i'm doing. i'm only level 42 and my endurance is already at 23.

Melchiah

Not knowing what lurks ahead definitely adds to the tension. I was online during my first Ihyll chalice playthrough, and the warnings in the notes made it a bit easier. I also summoned help for the bosses, because the first two of them were particularly hard, but replayed the chalice solo later on. No other boss has given me so much trouble, as the first one in that chalice dungeon.

Speaking of cheating, I managed to summon two NPC hunters for the first DLC boss fight on NG+, and I kinda regretted it since it was no challenge at all.

i honestly think this game is too intense with headphones. it seriously stresses me the fuck out.

Yeah, it's incredibly intense. I almost always try and play with headphones on, and have the baby monitor to listen if any of my kids wake up nearby, and sometimes he cries in his sleep and it makes me jump every goddamn time!

oh, i don't know what the hell i'm doing. i'm only level 42 and my endurance is already at 23.

That's fine, but I'd recommend putting some levels into VIT as well, and depending on what kind of build you're going for you'll probably want some in STR as well as that increases the power of your attacks.

EDIT - I'm no expert at the game or anything. I'm probably only a little over half way through.

I maxed Evelyn for the chalices. It helped a lot there against Abhorrent Beast, Undead Giant with balls and chains, Bloodlickers, and butt-naked Watchers. Basically, against those foes I wanted to keep a distance with.
EDIT: Here's a video of the Undead Giant fight in the Rotted Ihyll root chalice, where I used Evelyn and Bone Marrow Ash during the last phase: https://youtu.be/ICUpk20H7mI

That 8-bit remix is wonderful. =D

Here's another good one, The Celestial Mob from Bloodborne with the voice of Mr. Meeseeks from Rick and Morty: https://youtu.be/tSvQW7bfP8k
Oh god that Meeseeks one killed me. I should probably watch Rick and Morty at some point.

tebunker

Banned
Not knowing what lurks ahead definitely adds to the tension. I was online during my first Ihyll chalice playthrough, and the warnings in the notes made it a bit easier. I also summoned help for the bosses, because the first two of them were particularly hard, but replayed the chalice solo later on. No other boss has given me so much trouble, as the first one in that chalice dungeon.

Speaking of cheating, I managed to summon two NPC hunters for the first DLC boss fight on NG+, and I kinda regretted it since it was no challenge at all.

So you can do this if you have the joined the League and have their Rune equipped.

In my regular arsed NG run I didn't even realize the league was part of the dlc. Joined them because who doesn't hate vermin right? It allows you to summon confederates and I was able to summon two for that fight but those two weren't as good as Henrietta by herself because Kirkhammer stuns like a m-effer at times.

I actually just beat ludwig last night. It seems like the dlc careens down a hill from here as the next area seems small. We'll see. Not finding it too hard, Ludwig took 5ish attempts before finally figuring out his patterns.

I am really liking to look and feel of some of these dlc weapons. The only thing I miss from the Dark souls lineup is the wider variety in gear. I get why a lot of it seems samey but I need a little more variety in armor. I can only wear a hood/cape/pants for so long and the church gear is dull. I would have liked to see more Cainhurst type gear sets or some more Victorian or gothic horror armor, like say just a steel plate strapped around your chest with a shirt underneath type stuff.

So you can do this if you have the joined the League and have their Rune equipped.

In my regular arsed NG run I didn't even realize the league was part of the dlc. Joined them because who doesn't hate vermin right? It allows you to summon confederates and I was able to summon two for that fight but those two weren't as good as Henrietta by herself because Kirkhammer stuns like a m-effer at times.

I actually just beat ludwig last night. It seems like the dlc careens down a hill from here as the next area seems small. We'll see. Not finding it too hard, Ludwig took 5ish attempts before finally figuring out his patterns.

I am really liking to look and feel of some of these dlc weapons. The only thing I miss from the Dark souls lineup is the wider variety in gear. I get why a lot of it seems samey but I need a little more variety in armor. I can only wear a hood/cape/pants for so long and the church gear is dull. I would have liked to see more Cainhurst type gear sets or some more Victorian or gothic horror armor, like say just a steel plate strapped around your chest with a shirt underneath type stuff.
Research Hall is actually bigger than you think. It's more about verticality than being an expansive space. It's...annoying, be prepared to fall down some stairs.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
If anything, the DLC gets better from there as you go further down the rabbit hole. I think the super small area that you were talking about is the transition area between Ludwig and the Research Hall?

tebunker

Banned
If anything, the DLC gets better from there as you go further down the rabbit hole. I think the super small area that you were talking about is the transition area between Ludwig and the Research Hall?

Yep and heading in to the research hall it seemed small but it looks like I may not be looking up enough

It's my first Soulsborne game too, I really just have enough stamina to finish a combo and dash out and I have runes to up my stamina.

Top Bottom