• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yeah at this point it expects you to have a firm grasp of the mechanics and also wants to throw you off pretty significantly.

The Defiled Chalice is basically the gravity chamber Goku and Vegetta use.
latest

Its hard as hell and demands excruciating discipline and commitment but once done the main quest is easy train.

Also use this strat for Amy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hf_WwkLgZo
How the hell does he not get crushed a million times?

Yeah but I've already beaten the main quest. The two final bosses are easy as shit compared to the defiled chalice. The defiled chalice combines the two things I hate in action games: bosses with a ton of health and one-hit kills. Also, my blades of mercy make the Amy fight even harder because I so easily miss. It's not like the fight is even all that hard, it's just that because the fight is over 2 minutes the chances of me fucking up are pretty big which means having to redo the entire fight. It's pure frustration. Maybe I'll try again next week or something but I'm just so sick of this shit right now.

Yeah just take a break. Its an optional thing for those of us that love the punishment. You will probably find that you come back and do it first try.

How the hell does he not get crushed a million times?

Cause her feet land far away from him. He is lined up with her head when she jumps. Once I saw this strat it took me two attempts to finally take her out.

squidyj

Yeah but I've already beaten the main quest. The two final bosses are easy as shit compared to the defiled chalice. The defiled chalice combines the two things I hate in action games: bosses with a ton of health and one-hit kills. Also, my blades of mercy make the Amy fight even harder because I so easily miss. It's not like the fight is even all that hard, it's just that because the fight is over 2 minutes the chances of me fucking up are pretty big which means having to redo the entire fight. It's pure frustration. Maybe I'll try again next week or something but I'm just so sick of this shit right now.

I actually really liked using blade of mercy on amy. in story mode when I went in with big weapons i would herp derp my way through the boss swinging at his arms and shit and hitting them cuz my weapons were big and my health was high and I could take a bunch of hits. With blade of mercy, I dodge his attacks and get in position to attack his head.

i have a question dealing with the levels in bloodborne/souls games. this is the first one i've played, i had just assumed before that there was a level cap, but that doesn't seem to be the case. i've just been leveling up whenever i can through the game and i'm somewhere around lvl 104 or something now. but i've been seeing things here and there of people stopping their leveling at a certain point. is this because pvp? how they pair you with people of similar level. if i level too far am i screwing myself out of a larger pool of people to pvp with? is it them being cocky? I would just assume everyone playing through the 7+ new games would wanna continue to get stronger.

I need help with Headless Bloodletting Beast in Pthumeru Ihyll.
I just can't beat the damn thing.
The camera is awful.
Space is too small.
:(
I managed to get him to ~20% but he always one-shots me with that huuuuge reach fist attack. IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY!!! >(
I'm level 121.
PSN: j0hnny_385

Is there a cutscene after you beat
Gehrman
or does it kick,you straight into ng+?

Really want to jump into the lore thread to piece together wtf was going on, but don't want to spoil anything that might come after his demise.

i have a question dealing with the levels in bloodborne/souls games. this is the first one i've played, i had just assumed before that there was a level cap, but that doesn't seem to be the case. i've just been leveling up whenever i can through the game and i'm somewhere around lvl 104 or something now. but i've been seeing things here and there of people stopping their leveling at a certain point. is this because pvp? how they pair you with people of similar level. if i level too far am i screwing myself out of a larger pool of people to pvp with? is it them being cocky? I would just assume everyone playing through the 7+ new games would wanna continue to get stronger.

Summoning/PVP level range is similar to the Souls games: +/-10 levels + (10% of host's level). People are stopping around 110 for PVP, for optimal stats or whatever since 120 was the level for PVP in Souls games.

Gehrman

Really want to jump into the lore thread to piece together wtf was going on, but don't want to spoil anything that might come after his demise.

There will be a short cutscene (seconds long), then credits will roll and you get thrown into NG+.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Ok, there is nothing more frustrating that a goddamn "A LAN cable is not connected" message popping up....ruined some great farming.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, I took a 2-3 week break after getting pissed at the 2nd boss. Finally got through it. The first 2 bosses in the final chalice (for the plat anyway) are pretty rough too though.

Toxi

Banned
I need help with Headless Bloodletting Beast in Pthumeru Ihyll.
I just can't beat the damn thing.
The camera is awful.
Space is too small.
:(
I managed to get him to ~20% but he always one-shots me with that huuuuge reach fist attack. IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY!!! >(
I'm level 121.
PSN: j0hnny_385
Can't be summoned right now, but the Falcon Punch attack can be consistently dodged by rolling when he roars.

Also, this video guide is a godsend for learning how to fight the beast.

Dynedom

Man, when the
Martyr Longinus
fight clicks, it fucking clicks. My favorite fight in the game so far (haven't completed
Mensis
yet.

I had a nail-biter to beat him. Someone rated a note of mine fine when I was in crit health and later on (without realizing it), I had killed him with my LAST bullet (into a Vis attack). I didn't even notice my bullets were at zero until I walked towards the lamp.

So intense. So good.

I hope there are more fights like that in the future that rely on damn good parry timing.

Toxi

Banned
Gehrman

Straight into NG+ unless you
consume three thirds of umbilical cord, in which case there's another boss.

Also I love how the soundtrack is so dynamic and pumps into full gear once the bosses reach a certain amount of health, or was that just me?

Defiled Watchdog was not that hard, it's just time consuming. The Bloodletting Beast is the real deal.

I find it so fascinating how the bosses affect everyone in completely different ways.
BSB was a complete pushover for me but Abhorrent Beast was really difficult for me to deal with because I couldnt visceral him at all.

Also, this video guide is a godsend for learning how to fight the beast.
Not applicable on Headless version. Beat the normal version without a problem.
Here? In this tight space and with the fucking snake on his head? Nah, I always die near the very end of his health bar. He's relentless. :(
I'm so fucking angry right now... After breezing through the game, 80 hours in, I've hit a fucking wall. Uggghhhh.

EDIT:
GOT HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

FUCKING FINALLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

iboEy6ZVGUuKol.gif

Not applicable on Headless version. Beat the normal version without a problem.
Here? In this tight space and with the fucking snake on his head? Nah, I always die near the very end of his health bar. He's relentless. :(
I'm so fucking angry right now... After breezing through the game, 80 hours in, I've hit a fucking wall. Uggghhhh.

If you still need help I can assist you. I'm level 148 so you may need to get to 125.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'd advise attacking him, he's clearly too suspicious to leave unchecked.
lol you meanie

To reach the
last queen, what do i actually need to do?
All of Pthumeru, but the Defiled Pthumeru (depth 4) requires a bit of Ailing Loran... I think just the first depth of Ailing Loran, though. One of those has the Bastard of Loran which is necessary to generate the Defiled Chalice, but I forgot where.

Necessary if you're going for the platinum trophy.
If going for the Platinum isn't fun for him/her then I'd say s/he should just stop playing.

I don't have the platinum. Because I didn't bother buying all the weapons. I could, but I don't need to buy all the weapons, so why should I just to get a "ding"? :)

UV-6

Joined the platinum club! Now I'm rocking the game with 2 million blood echoes on me like it's nothing. Don't really want to level past level 110.

Arguably one of my favourites games ever.

zarnold56

Started a 2nd character instead of digging into NG+ and the chalice dungeons. I struggled most with
the three hunters in Unseen Village. Screw those guys. Even on my 2nd playthrough it took me 10 times to beat them.

Also, why can I not use fire or bolt paper on the blades of mercy?

MidEvlDed

Well, i finally finished the game. It took a month and a week, but i finally beat it. I don't know how to feel, for once, i don't know what to do now, Bloodborne consumed the last month of my life; in the other hand, i'm finally free lol

I feel similarly. It took me about the same amount of time to finish as well. I feel a little burnt out to be honest. The idea of going through all of the chalice dungeons seems like a chore for me right now. Plus the Witcher 3 is coming out in 3 weeks and that will be my definite Bloodborne stopping point.

Started a 2nd character instead of digging into NG+ and the chalice dungeons. I struggled most with
the three hunters in Unseen Village. Screw those guys. Even on my 2nd playthrough it took me 10 times to beat them.

Also, why can I not use fire or bolt paper on the blades of mercy?

Blades of Mercy has innate arcane damage, so it cannot be given magical buffs (or converted to Fire/Bolt damage via gems for that matter).

I feel similarly. It took me about the same amount of time to finish as well. I feel a little burnt out to be honest. The idea of going through all of the chalice dungeons seems like a chore for me right now. Plus the Witcher 3 is coming out in 3 weeks and that will be my definite Bloodborne stopping point.
May you escape the dreadful Hunter's Dream and find your worth in the Waking World.

Dunkelgrau

I. Dark Souls I is the best game of all time, IMHO.
II. Because of Bloodborne I bought a PS4.
III. I am disappointed.

And confused that my number one reason for that disappointment is not really discussed anywhere.

Curious?

I have reached the forest so far and since endless hours Bloodborne looks always the same. No real variety. Even the forest has the same colour palette as everything else in the game. This lack of real visual variation is such a big deal for me, that I really have problems with the orientation in the world of Bloodborne, because everything looks so similar.

zma1013

]blacky[;162818176 said:
III. I am disappointed.

And confused that my number one reason for that disappointment is not really discussed anywhere.

Curious?

I have reached the forest so far and since endless hours Bloodborne looks always the same. No real variety. Even the forest has the same colour palette as everything else in the game. This lack of real visual variation is such a big deal for me, that I really have problems with the orientation in the world of Bloodborne, because everything looks so similar.

That brownish/greyish color that's everywhere never really goes away, but you will get to see some structurally different areas in the latter parts of the game. Still, even in the early parts, if you look closely, you can see the landmarks of all the other areas in the game that you eventually go to, just like in Dark Souls, it's just a bit harder to make out amongst all the similar looking pointy, thorny, victorian gothic spires all over the place. I think it's clear this game is going for a particular, cohesive vision all throughout and that's one of darkness and horror.

I need to if I wanna see all bosses though

Youtube

So don't go after the platinum. It's not worth it.

cormack12

Gold Member
Hey, spent this evening basically running round Cathedral Ward and opening shortcuts etc. So now I'm at a crossroads. I have:

- Spoken to Eileen outside CW;
- Unlocked the door in CW to Healing Church and defeated the lycan downstairs;
- Spoke to ?Arianna? and a ?man? in the same area;
- Opened the gate behind the giant;
- Tried going to Hypogean Gaol and meeting Paarl, just to befriend Djura but the snatchers are too much for me at the moment. They pretty much 2 hit kill me;
- Trying to get one more twin blood stone shard to get my weapon to +5;
- Choices I have are; fight Vicar Amelia, take the path to the left of the steps leading to her? If I go right, then I get proper legged by a hunter with a shield and a tonitrus? Looks like he'd kick my ass right now. Or I can try and persevere with Paarl?
- Stats are VIT (19), END (19), SKL (18) - I think I would benefit from the twin blood shard, is there anything else that drops them except snatchers round these parts?
- There were some double doors that looked unreachable when I was dropping down the Healing Church - can I get there?

Cheers people!

zma1013

I need to if I wanna see all bosses though

Hey, spent this evening basically running round Cathedral Ward and opening shortcuts etc. So now I'm at a crossroads. I have:

- Spoken to Eileen outside CW;
- Unlocked the door in CW to Healing Church and defeated the lycan downstairs;
- Spoke to ?Arianna? and a ?man? in the same area;
- Opened the gate behind the giant;
- Tried going to Hypogean Gaol and meeting Paarl, just to befriend Djura but the snatchers are too much for me at the moment. They pretty much 2 hit kill me;
- Trying to get one more twin blood stone shard to get my weapon to +5;
- Choices I have are; fight Vicar Amelia, take the path to the left of the steps leading to her? If I go right, then I get proper legged by a hunter with a shield and a tonitrus? Looks like he'd kick my ass right now. Or I can try and persevere with Paarl?
- Stats are VIT (19), END (19), SKL (18) - I think I would benefit from the twin blood shard, is there anything else that drops them except snatchers round these parts?
- There were some double doors that looked unreachable when I was dropping down the Healing Church - can I get there?

Cheers people!

Go left of VA, it's an optional area as far as I know and you get something real good at the end of it that you should get.

I-hate-u

Oh hey, what's this in the chalice dungeon guarding the lever... Doesn't look so

mama-corridor-swoop.gif

OH FUCK...

Yeah those guys are assholes. So fast and sound like stuff of nightmares. Appropriate I guess.

The darkbeast OST (Abhorrent beast/Paarl) is quickly becoming my favorite track in the game.

]blacky[;162818176 said:
III. I am disappointed.

Curious?

You're not even at the halfway point yet and you say this...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Amy question:

When you first encounter Amygdala, I feel like the room was empty, then you try the gate and then she snatches you up and you get the intro, but in this video you can clearly see her above the door on the way in. I feel like there's no way at all I would have missed this on the way in, she's not exactly inconspicuous. But at the same time, the person in that video doesn't do anything different and still tries the gate, gets snatched just like I did.

So what gives, and did I miss out on something by not being able to see her on the way in?

Adaren

Amy question:

When you first encounter Amygdala, I feel like the room was empty, then you try the gate and then she snatches you up and you get the intro, but in this video you can clearly see her above the door on the way in. I feel like there's no way at all I would have missed this on the way in, she's not exactly inconspicuous. But at the same time, the person in that video doesn't do anything different and still tries the gate, gets snatched just like I did.

So what gives, and did I miss out on something by not being able to see her on the way in?

You can only see it at or above 40 Insight.

joecanada

]blacky[;162818176 said:
III. I am disappointed.

Curious?

there are some cool buildings and levels in the game, balconies, rooftops, etc... the colours are a bit bland but its meant to be dark and ominous .

orientation? just download one of the many maps available for the game, im not sure how this is an issue. I have three maps on my phone although i haven't ever used one extensively.

Top Bottom