• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Okay, I really wanted to see the ending so I finally went ahead and killed MP. Pushover as expected. Surprising design. But it looks very cool!
I am just entering the defiled chalice. Getting closer (though I know I could spend the rest of my life on defiled chalice and WDOTOL in particular) to QY. But... as great as bloodborne has been, not sure I want to continue. Fatigue is settling in. I did a bit of NG+ for fun. Got Cleric beast the first time, which felt great. But damn everyone has become a huge damage sponge. I kinda want to get to FG which was by far my worst boss in the first game (at least the most frustrating). I hope the hypothetical DLC is not hidden at the end of the game. It would immensely suck to go through the whole game again to get access to DLC.
I might do my whole NG+ on coop, I guess, since I never summoned once in my first playthrough.

Started my arcane build. Decided to coop in Central Yharnam to grind for the 10K key.

Flamesprayer is hilarious on Cleric Beast when two coop partners distract it. I can only imagine the look on the players' faces as they watch the health bar constantly drain.

gunbo13

Eh, Ludwig. Definitely try a different weapon, at least for NG+. It's an absolute snore and I "almost" wish they didn't include it in the game. Since it is optional and all.

I'm running NG++ now with BoM. I am not showing any mercy. heh I absolutely destroyed Father G and BSB. Just stopped playing at Forbidden Woods...if you can blame me... BoM plays much more like a pure action game. They make you honest with your positioning, unlike weapons such as BB. You really lose a lot with the battle system just spamming charge R2 two-hand, etc... BoM brings you back to the careful play of your 1st play-through. I highly recommend it to challenge some.

Playing through NG++ though, especially with BoM, the flaws in the battle mechanics really come through. Hitboxes are radial on attacks when they should not be. I get hit by swings behind or on back-dash which are nowhere near me. The same goes with jump attacks, which are basically AoE bombs and have no regard for hit detection. I don't want a From game to be like Bayonetta or DMC. However, I wish they would dig deeper into proper detection and hitboxes. I don't want to get killed by phantom attacks.

Regardless, there is a reason I'm playing NG++. People who are hating on the weapon selection in BB are off their rockers. There is no way they gave the diversity a chance and just ran right to threads instead. I have only gone through the weapons that work for me categorically but the ones I have picked diversify each play-through. Which also is a knock to those who are hating on re-playability. I'm sure we have some folks who are running NG+ with the same tired Ludwig they had, +10, etc...

So I think a lot of criticism is basically backwards. The lull of Forbidden Woods certainly exists. The one shot kills are basically stupid; why is that good design unless it is an over-level lesson? But weapon diversity is there. Re-playability is there. And if only From would dig deeper into their combat system, this title would receive even more commitment from a PvP & showcase standpoint.

They need to nerf the scaling on Ludwig's or something (seriously did a B/B/A weapon ever exist prior to Bloodborne?) The reason it's such a popular weapon is because the only build where you wouldn't benefit from it is Bloodtinge.

EDIT: Also related to my current PT, Saw Cleaver and Saw Spear have excellent transformation attacks that are easy to implement into combos.

Grexeno

So I just beat Watchdog of the Old Lords in the very first chalice (the one you get from Blood-Starved Beast) so I'm pretty sure I've completed it.

EL CUCO

Poison knives, and maintain your distance. Bone marrow buff on Evylen helps too.
I can't use Evelyn yet :(
But I'll try the dart thing. I just got him down to 1/4 but I was out of Vials. I can't seem to figure how to stun him. Only did it twice in about 5 fights. Each time it was with an R2 charge.

UrbanRats

So, any tips on dealing with E
brietas' lasers of doom
? The rest of the fight up until that moment, is pretty easy (since i think i'm over-leveled for it) but then i get two shotted by that attack.

Also, after four games, i'm still not happy with the way these games handle huge bosses; much of the annoyance from the E
brietas
fight, comes from your character getting stuck in the invisible collisions of
her tentacles while she spins around
, even when not locking on, it's a whole lot of confusion.

Minamu

Any worthwhile tips for defiled watchdog? So far I've gotten it down to 50%, took a while to learn to dodge that insta-kill rush :/ Staying close to bait the swipe bites has been working fairly well, until he starts the weird followup attacks. I'm using the BoM 2hand R2 at stats str 30, skill 32. Dash+R1 is pretty good too for hitting the legs but it seems like I'm not really learning a proper strategy this way xD

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
By y'all's definition at level 95 I am overleveled. I honestly don't believe such a thing exists in this game. Admittedly I rarely die in the levels, but I am frequently owned by bosses and hunters.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Another thing, I find it funny that many of the YouTube videos in which the player shows an effective strategy for beating a boss is called cheesing. The only boss that I see that can be legit cheesed is Micolash with the poison darts. Rom certainly can't be cheesed. Neither can Father Gasciogne. Although many of those videos I am certain were recorded before the memory leak that caused bosses to be much easier was patched.

Xeilyn

So, any tips on dealing with E
brietas' lasers of doom
? The rest of the fight up until that moment, is pretty easy (since i think i'm over-leveled for it) but then i get two shotted by that attack.
Lock on and sidestep in one direction should work

Any worthwhile tips for defiled watchdog? So far I've gotten it down to 50%, took a while to learn to dodge that insta-kill rush :/ Staying close to bait the swipe bites has been working fairly well, until he starts the weird followup attacks. I'm using the BoM 2hand R2 at stats str 30, skill 32. Dash+R1 is pretty good too for hitting the legs but it seems like I'm not really learning a proper strategy this way xD
I killed him by baiting the bites, once i broke his head i used a bone marrow ashed Repeating pistol just to be safe. I had enough HP to survive one rush though

Also the Blade of Mercy has 0 str scaling so your 30 str does nothing for its dmg, should have went pure skill for that weapon

Another thing, I find it funny that many of the YouTube videos in which the player shows an effective strategy for beating a boss is called cheesing. The only boss that I see that can be legit cheesed is Micolash with the poison darts. Rom certainly can't be cheesed. Neither can Father Gasciogne. Although many of those videos I am certain were recorded before the memory leak that caused bosses to be much easier was patched.
A
bhorrent
B
east
can be cheesed
via Poison knives
. Father G can be cheesed
by getting him stuck on geometry

myco666

Thanks again Myco!

That place is such a pain. Especially with an underleveled cane.

No probs! I need to play little bit more safe though so that I don't get myself killed immediately lol.

I usually just run past that area to open up all shortcuts and then pick up twin blood shards to get my weapon up +6.

The dedicated healing button in this game is genius. It's one of these small details that make all the difference.

Yeah. Not having to scroll through items to heal is great and much needed in this game.

I-hate-u

I can't use Evelyn yet :(
But I'll try the dart thing. I just got him down to 1/4 but I was out of Vials. I can't seem to figure how to stun him. Only did it twice in about 5 fights. Each time it was with an R2 charge.

Or a pistol is good too. Basically anything that is not a shotgun or a cannon and can hit from a far distance. I don't like charging him or stunning him. Get a good 2 fast swipes and dash out. That plus the poison knives will drop his health surprisingly fast.

Also, remember to customize your runes for high stamina since you want to get in and out fast.

danthefan

The first two stages of FG can be cheesed. Keep the group of gravestones on the right of the entrance between him and you and he can't hit you, then just time your shots. You have to kill him legit in stage three though.

benjammin

Rom can be cheesed easily coop as you can wander around in the first phase and kill the spiders that would spawn in the latter phases. If you walk around the arena, you'll eventually run into the groups of spiders that appear to be invisible prior to Rom teleporting. They'll show up when you get close but won't attack. So you can wipe them out and then they won't spawn after the first phase. Makes the fight trivial really, but again it's coop only.

EL CUCO

nope can't do.....was full with everything, get owned.

too frustrated.
GQTWSa1.jpg

Not sure if it can be considered cheesing, but the second time I fought Father G, I
parried/visceraled him about 3 times and used a molotov or two to beat him. I only hit him like twice lol
This is my first play through.
Used the music box during the first encounter, but died.

EL CUCO

^ perfect.
_______

Yeah whoever said Abhorent beast could be cheesed, doesn't know what cheese means..

You have to be on your absolute A game against this guy. Bastard made me use up all my supplies. Now I need to farm to get back to him

I'm sweating.

Xeilyn

^ perfect.
_______

Yeah whoever said Abhorent beast could be cheesed, doesn't know what cheese means..

You have to be on your absolute A game against this guy. Bastard made me use up all my supplies. Now I need to farm to get back to him
You can kill him with just poison knives, id say thats cheese^^

cormack12

Gold Member
Any suggestions on which area to do next?
- Killed Vicar Amelia;
- Killed BSB;
- Killed Witch of Hemwick;
- Using TC+6, VIT is at about 1000HP
- Entered the Forbidden Woods and got the lamp. Got swept up by some Cthulu thing and ended in a university? Had a little wander round but got swarmed by some ground ghouls or something and then just put it down the evening. Not sure which area is best for me to proceed with now?;
- I have the Tonitrus+3 but no STR to wield it. I also see lots of people talking about Ludwig's sword, BoM etc. Not sure if I should be changing out my weapons for different area or persist with the cane?;
- I'm trying not to miss anything optional, so don't want to mess anything up with regards to NPC's;
- I opened the gate in Cathedral Ward without buying/obtaining the emblem - do i need this for any trophies/NPC's or can I just save the 10k blood echoes?;
- Not really sure what to do with runes, I've equipped three - are they passive?;
- I have 16 insight - I'm not really interested in it making the game harder for me. I'm not as hardcore as some of you guys. Can I just go and buy 16 fire papers from the bath messengers?;
Cheers

Xeilyn

-__- I shot every single poison knife I had...his life was still about halfway
It should only take 14 knives. Just throw 1 knife and you will see his HP slowly go down, once it stops going down throw another one. If you throw more than one knife it wont work

EL CUCO

It should only take 14 knives. Just throw 1 knife and you will see his HP slowly go down, once it stops going down throw another one. If you throw more than one knife it wont work
I GOT HIM! I GOT HIS UGLY ASS!!!
ChhUKvq.jpg

Feels so good.
Yeah I needed to slow it down with the knives but everything seem to go right on this run. My timing was pretty good. Thanks for the help. Gonna put up a video and you guys can decide if this was cheese lol

Auctopus

Any suggestions on which area to do next?

Cheers

Go back to the Cathedral where you fought Vicar Amelia and go left before the door.

ChhUKvq.jpg

Feels so good.
Yeah I needed to slow it down with the knives but everything seem to go right on this run. My timing was pretty good. Thanks for the help. Gonna put up a video and you guys can decide if this was cheese lol

Congrats, I beat him yesterday and it was a huge relief.

neoism

lol awesome i got the burial blade without having to start NG+ the damage is sucky at +7 though.. need betta gems.

squidyj

when I first came upon abhorrent beast in the chalice dungeon, what I thought was

"Fuck it, might as well actually learn the fight this time" instead of cheesing him with silly knives.

Minamu

Lock on and sidestep in one direction should work

I killed him by baiting the bites, once i broke his head i used a bone marrow ashed Repeating pistol just to be safe. I had enough HP to survive one rush though

Also the Blade of Mercy has 0 str scaling so your 30 str does nothing for its dmg, should have went pure skill for that weapon
I've been a cleaver, ludwig, bom, bb kind of guy :) so I'm at the softcap in everything now.

UrbanRats

ChhUKvq.jpg

Feels so good.

I say, as long as you didn't get him stuck in some geometry, if you played within the game's rules (objects and poison knives are within the game's rules) it's not really cheesing.
Thinking that the only honorable way to fight is with dodges and basic attacks, basically undoes one of the most interesting aspects of these games: creativity.

EL CUCO

Why on EARTH did you stay in the middle?! Go round the outer ring, you have way more space and distance from him!
IDK, I felt pretty comfortable around the middle. I like the freedom to dodge to either side. On the outside, you're kinda stuck going one way.

I'm the Hunter, not the Hunted :p

How do I avoid accidentally ending the game? I just beat
Micolash
, and am yet to beat
Daughter of the Cosmos
but I'm just worried about ending it too soon :p

edit: also no spoilers please, if you can avoid it.

gunbo13

How do I avoid accidentally ending the game? I just beat
Micolash
, and am yet to beat
Daughter of the Cosmos
but I'm just worried about ending it too soon :p

edit: also no spoilers please, if you can avoid it.
Beating
Ebrietas
won't end the game. It isn't even a required boss. If you want to ensure you don't end the game, don't beat the --> next boss spoiler
Wet Nurse
, which is the path after
Micolash
. That event still doesn't wrap it up but it's right before the end.

EDIT:
You also can use a bold hunter's mark where the
moonlight girl is praying
right after you open the shortcut (past her) making sure not to go into the section in front of her. That shortcut is like a blip away from the 2nd loft lamp. That way you clear all the main non-boss content but don't get too close to the end.

Can someone give me some advice on how to co-op the chalice dungeons?

I am a bit ahead of my son in the game as far as clearing dungeons go, so I want to go back and help him get through them...

So, if he creates a dungeon that I have already cleared, and shares it...I search for the glyph he gives me, but when I enter it, it is as if I have never been there (which, I assume is because it is his version of the dungeon.) If he is on level 3, I have to fight my way down there (through bosses etc, I have already fought in my version of the dungeon.)

Obviously, I would rather go into my version of the dungeon..to the level he is currently on, and ring my bell, and join him.

I feel like I am missing something obvious.....thanks for the help!!!

Beating
Ebrietas
won't end the game. It isn't even a required boss. If you want to ensure you don't end the game, don't beat the --> next boss spoiler
Wet Nurse
, which is the path after
Micolash
. That event still doesn't wrap it up but it's right before the end.

EDIT:
You also can use a bold hunter's mark where the
moonlight girl is praying
right after you open the shortcut (past her) making sure not to go into the section in front of her. That shortcut is like a blip away from the 2nd loft lamp. That way you clear all the main non-boss content but don't get too close to the end.

Top Bottom