• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Stat!

Trying to determine, which is better
Gascoigne's
Attire Set or
Henryk's
attire set?

EDIT: Oh god. This is like my 9th/10th time fighting V
icar Amelia
. 9th time? zero hits before death. 10th time? One hit.

Right now I'm stuck trying to fight M
artyr
L
ogarius.

I have a Rifle Spear +7 and Blades of Mercy +6. Which one would you guys recommend for this boss?

Any general tips on how to bring him down? I can barely get past his first stage.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
artyr
L
ogarius.

I have a Rifle Spear +7 and Blades of Mercy +6. Which one would you guys recommend for this boss?

Any general tips on how to bring him down? I can barely get past his first stage.
personally, I would go 1h spear.

Stay close. Try to parry him. When you dodge, dodge to your left (his right side).

If you have claw Mark runes equip them. Also, when he places his sword in the ground SHOOT that shit with the quickness.

On Demand

Banned
I kinda spoil an ending in a small way here:
There are no good or bad endings, but, I wouldn't say its the complete ending because you missed a secret boss fight. At least, the way you did it, will give you a cool new weapon.
The game throws you into NG+ right away.

Cool. Thanks.

What weapon do I get? I never went to hunters dream and I'm not going to be playing this for a little bit.

benjammin

artyr
L
ogarius.

Dodge in, hit him a couple of times, dodge out. When he buffs between phase 1 and 2, get behind him and hit him with a charged r2 and then visceral him. This will make it way easier to parry him in phase 2. Parry him from mid range, or dodge behind him when he attacks and hit him with a couple quick attacks if you're struggling with parrying. Dodge to the right when he does the aerial attack, and shoot his sword when he sticks it in the ground. You'll get it, the key is the visceral attack between phases. Makes the second phase much easier.

Late Flag

artyr
L
ogarius.

Parry. Equip all clawmark runes and go all-out on riposting the guy to death.

Late Flag

Defiled Chalice:

Keeper of the Old Lords (Layer 1) - 1st attempt
Watch Dog of the Old Lords (Layer 2) - 1st attempt
Amygdala (Layer 3) - I am struggle at over 30+ attempts and no win

So many OHK attacks :(

I am able to get one visceral off, but never see another, even when I attack his face only during the first 2 phases. What gives?

You're nigh a beast of the field, but here you are, treading a measure with the gods.

Oh Amygdala, oh Amygdala...
Have mercy on the poor bastard...

I kind of hate you a little bit for beating Watchdog on your first attempt. That guy took me 20+ tries easily and was the hardest boss in the game for me.

That said, Amygdala was easy as hell, and I killed her by accident while trying to learn her moves. Her jump attack is extremely exploitable.

On that note, regular watchdog felt like the defiled version when you do it underleveled.

Chalice layers 1 & 2 are actually kind of a challenge if you start on them the earliest possible time you can do them.

Late Flag

On that note, regular watchdog felt like the defiled version when you do it underleveled.

Chalice layers 1 & 2 are actually kind of a challenge if you start on them the earliest possible time you can do them.

Yep, absolutely. The first time I did these, I was something crazy like 100+ and thought they were boring, annoying, and should have been removed from the game. Then I started a new character and went straight to the chalices because I wanted the Bone Ash set. Even stupid Undead Giant gave me problems, and I seriously struggled against some of the others. Paradoxically, Watchdog of the Old Lords was the easiest boss for me because I spent so much time consulting with his defiled colleague.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Well basically it is the exact same boss! Same move-set but a bit higher level.

It mystifies me that people persist past the point of frustration whilst underlevelled against a particular area or boss-fight. Gaining levels is easy, and for a very long time putting points into any stat will improve your survivabilty due to the way you get defensive bonuses for each point you spend.

Needing to throw tons of echoes into consumables like vials is a pretty good indicator that you should be higher level.

EL CUCO

Damn there are some dirty mofos in PvP. Running back to pop a vial and throw a mist.

Also, ran into two dudes which I easily could've killed while they were being ambushed by npc's...the moment they finish, I salute...the guys ganked me right off the bat. Killed one but the other got me from behind right after killing his buddy

Next time I see a group, I'm pulling all the stops

Zee-Row

Banned
Is there a site where i can get a basic summary of the entire story of Bloodborne? I want to know more about that fucked up world i just played through.

Neoweee

Vicar Amelia
is wrecking my shit. So tired of farming blood vials between attempts.

1) Don't farm vials, it is better to just buy them with Echoes.

2) How much Vitality do you have? What armor are you using?

3) How many bosses have you beaten so far? There a few optional areas by then.

Is it worth getting kidnapped?

Yes, that area is FANTASTIC to do earlier. Extremely rewarding, though a bit difficult.

Being a high level doesn't really help against Defiled Watchdog because even with 50 Vit and HP runes you still get two shotted. You just have to learn the best way to fight it safely.

Getting two-shotted is a wildly different ballgame than getting one-shotted.

Well basically it is the exact same boss! Same move-set but a bit higher level.

It mystifies me that people persist past the point of frustration whilst underlevelled against a particular area or boss-fight. Gaining levels is easy, and for a very long time putting points into any stat will improve your survivabilty due to the way you get defensive bonuses for each point you spend.

Needing to throw tons of echoes into consumables like vials is a pretty good indicator that you should be higher level.

Being a high level doesn't really help against Defiled Watchdog because even with 50 Vit and HP runes you still get two shotted. You just have to learn the best way to fight it safely.

Kwixotik

1) Don't farm vials, it is better to just buy them with Echoes.

2) How much Vitality do you have? What armor are you using?

3) How many bosses have you beaten so far? There a few optional areas by then.

Yes, that area is FANTASTIC to do earlier. Extremely rewarding, though a bit difficult.

Getting two-shotted is a wildly different ballgame than getting one-shotted.

I have 16 vitality and I'm using the hunter's set. I've beaten
cleric beast, father G, blood-starved beast, and the witch of hemwick

Neoweee

I have 16 vitality and I'm using the hunter's set. I've beaten
cleric beast, father G, blood-starved beast, and the witch of hemwick

16 is way too low. Just keep pumping it. Vitality is the best stat by a lot.

Not only is each point going to boost your HP by a few percent, it also boosts your blood vial strength, so you'll have to lose fewer and not run out.

taybul

Vicar Amelia
is wrecking my shit. So tired of farming blood vials between attempts.
Stop using vials altogether until you've dealt a decent amount of damage and just learn to read and dodge her moves. Start using them if you think you have a shot with that attempt. If you rely too much on vials you won't fully learn how to avoid getting hit. Also fire paper works wonders for that fight.

Damn, the monsters in
Hypogean Gaol
hit hard. I just went to get the
Yahar'gul set
. Maybe I should try to get to
Paarl
from there so I can at least get a friendly
Djura

Ryder

What's the best weapon to max out to + 10? Got two blood rocks to use, already maxed Ludwigs holy blade but I'm bored with it now. I want a new weapon to use on ng ++

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Is it worth getting kidnapped?

Damn, the monsters in
Hypogean Gaol
Yahar'gul set
Paarl
Djura

The kidnappers are *very easy* to fight, especially if you're fighting them one on one and *especially* if you have a poking/thrust weapons like Rifle Spear, Saw Spear, or Reiterpallasch. Just thrust at them at moderate distance, and when they "power up" just leisurely run/walk to their back, backstab charge them, and visceral.

Easy peasy.

What's the best weapon to max out to + 10? Got two blood rocks to use, already maxed Ludwigs holy blade but I'm bored with it now. I want a new weapon to use on ng ++

Well that depends on your stat spreads.

Joei

I just started playing this recently and I like the combat, but still getting used to it relative to Demon's Souls and Dark Souls style combat. I could get the through the regular enemies pretty easily once I got used to it, but that first boss is giving me fits, Father G. I tried about 10x last night and couldn't get him past halfway down. The overworld was pretty cool, but a bit confusing, I thought it was just so big. With Demon's and Dark, I was able to really visuallize how everything connected, especially when unlocking shortcuts, but I'm having trouble with this game, though that may come with more time.

Neoweee

For whatever reason, on my third character,
Rom
is actually giving me a hard time. Like, hardest-boss-in-the-game hard time, despite 1st or 2nd try against all previous versions with different builds, NG+ level, or Chalice. I think... 6 deaths so far? Giant RNG fest each fight. Are his missiles going to go completely off course? Will I interrupt his teleport? Will a spider attack at the same time the boss does his nuke?

Now I can understand how people were so frustrated by him. It isn't a long fight, and when you die, it usually comes out of nowhere, even with great armor & HP.

Axe will always be beastly, best charged R2 in the game imo. I have that and Ludwigs maxed.

Probably go with Burial Blade next

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
The Axe is the best weapon in the game. Period. The R2 charge is just fucking stupid.

Don't get me started on the reach and great 2h L2 attack as well. It's just too good this weapon.

Yeah. Actually both transformed and original charged R2s with the Axe are great. The way the untransformed R2 just smashes human bosses to the ground like they're junk is amazing.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I just started playing this recently and I like the combat, but still getting used to it relative to Demon's Souls and Dark Souls style combat. I could get the through the regular enemies pretty easily once I got used to it, but that first boss is giving me fits, Father G. I tried about 10x last night and couldn't get him past halfway down. The overworld was pretty cool, but a bit confusing, I thought it was just so big. With Demon's and Dark, I was able to really visuallize how everything connected, especially when unlocking shortcuts, but I'm having trouble with this game, though that may come with more time.

Just parry him to death. Even in his werewolf form he can be parried.

Effective, and you feel like a boss when you beat him with a parry :D

get behind him and hit him with a charged r2 and then visceral him. This will make it way easier to parry him in phase 2.

Hmm... Easier parries? Why is this? I understand the idea of getting a visceral in as he buffs, but only for the purpose of ushering in phase 2 with a big health hit.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Fuck. Just lost my win streak in pvp with my chikage. 3 days undefeated.

Fuck me that dude was good. Sexy as hell with that 1h burial blade... Just when I thought I had him too.. *bow*

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The Axe is the best weapon in the game. Period. The R2 charge is just fucking stupid.

Don't get me started on the reach and great 2h L2 attack as well. It's just too good this weapon.

The only slight against it is that you can't dish out a full potential of a strength build considering it only has B at its maximum level, whereas even Kirkhammer gets an A and Logarius gets an S.

And it's a pain in the ass using it against those Insight sucking bastards since they're resistant to blunt damage.

No contest from me though, in nominating the Axe as Bloodborne's Best Weapon all in all.

Hmm... Easier parries? Why is this? I understand the idea of getting a visceral in as he buffs, but only for the purpose of ushering in phase 2 with a big health hit.

I think some folks think if you let him buff himself then he becomes somehow immune to parry in the later phase? I let him buffed himself but I can still parry him so I don't know what's up with that.

Been semi speedrunning NG+ so I can
fight Gehrman without eating the cords and get the last ending I still miss
. It's pretty fast if you skip all the optional content and just rush to bosses. My only detour has been to the
Nightmare Frontier to pick up the last hunter tool I needed to collect.

I noticed something different in
Yahar'Gul
. The shortcut to the boss did not work
(the lift did not move)
and just before the boss,
the bridge that you can run and kill the bell maiden was destroyed.

Are these differences because of NG+ or is it because I never
got kidnapped and only went to Yahar'Gul after killing Rom
?

It will come with time. I felt the same like you ehen I started. Now I like the world better than the one in DS.
As for Father G. He's just that "get good" boss. You know, like learn the game now before you proceed. But he is really not that hard. Struggled with him the first time around just like you, on my 2nd run I killed him in my first try. There are much worse enemies in the game.

dili

So I'm going for the platinum but i had a quick question. One of the trophies is to get all weapons. Do they have to be the standard wearpons, or will getting only the lost or uncanny versions of that weapon still count?

So I'm going for the platinum but i had a quick question. One of the trophies is to get all weapons. Do they have to be the standard wearpons, or will getting only the lost or uncanny versions of that weapon still count?

Yep they count!

Cute avatar love NieR <3

I know that people on here dont like to criticise any From Software game, but i really think how they have setup NG+ in Bloodborne has really hurt the re-playability factor for me.

1 - No Respec items - this REALLY sucks. It could just be a high cost item or something but give me the chance to respec when i want so i can try new builds. Id love to try an arcane build or skill build but im level 140 now so to get a new level is like 150K souls....not fun at all.

2 - The jump from NG to NG+ has ALWAYS been too big in the souls games, i understand that from NG+ to NG++, that the jump isnt as big but the huge increase in enemy HP really hurts the replay factor for me. I like that enemies have different powers in NG+ in what i have seen so far, but bosses just take ages to kill and are damn difficult.

3 - Lack of Blood Chunks and not being able to buy them - id love to play my NG+ with a new weapon, but the highest i can get a weapon at this stage is +6, so i have to stick with my axe because the enemies have such high HP that i need max damage possible. Even if i augment them with better gems, i could still put those on the axe and get more. Also, since i cant respec - there are certain weapons which are useless to me at this stage in the game with current stats.

In NG, i finished the game, beat every boss including the optional ones and got the proper ending. Now i want to try a new build without having to start from scratch. I just think this game doesnt encourage me to go back and play because of the points mentioned above.

Bloodborne does so many things right but like all From games, there are some areas which i didnt like and would hate to play through again (Forbidden woods) and some baffling choices in game design (No respec) - i find that for every 2 steps they take forward there is always a step backwards in some other area.

squidyj

Damn, the monsters in
Hypogean Gaol
Yahar'gul set
Paarl
Djura

Spoiler about Djura

You're going to want to kill him anyway, to get his armor

squidyj

Does anyone know which chalice dungeons are needed to achieve the platinum?
Just the bare minimum.

Thanks.

you need to dig your way through the pthumeru's. each one will give you the chalice for the next, Defiled Chalice takes 2x bastard of loran for the ritual and you'll need to do ailing loran chalice to get those.

Mogwai

I know that people on here dont like to criticise any From Software game, but i really think how they have setup NG+ in Bloodborne has really hurt the re-playability factor for me.

1 - No Respec items - this REALLY sucks. It could just be a high cost item or something but give me the chance to respec when i want so i can try new builds. Id love to try an arcane build or skill build but im level 140 now so to get a new level is like 150K souls....not fun at all.

Respec is only relevant if you want to stay at the meta and do PvP. Otherwise, you'll be able to pump enough points into whatever that lets you wield more or less all weapons. I think DS2 did fine as MP experience, but it failed horribly as a real Souls experience. You had to put zero though into your build because you could just spend one of your million soul vessels. It created zero incentive for making a new character. I think this is very poor game design for a RPG. I'm happy Bloodborne did away with it.

2 - The jump from NG to NG+ has ALWAYS been too big in the souls games, i understand that from NG+ to NG++, that the jump isnt as big but the huge increase in enemy HP really hurts the replay factor for me. I like that enemies have different powers in NG+ in what i have seen so far, but bosses just take ages to kill and are damn difficult.

I don't think the jump was too big in Dark Souls 1 and 2. In most cases, a NG+ run was even easier when all your gear was upgraded. Take the Ruin Sentinels. In NG they were quite a challenge, but if you came back in NG+ with a fully upgraded weapon you could wreck them without too much trouble.

3 - Lack of Blood Chunks and not being able to buy them - id love to play my NG+ with a new weapon, but the highest i can get a weapon at this stage is +6, so i have to stick with my axe because the enemies have such high HP that i need max damage possible. Even if i augment them with better gems, i could still put those on the axe and get more. Also, since i cant respec - there are certain weapons which are useless to me at this stage in the game with current stats.

The scarce amount of Blood Chunks and Rocks makes you think about what you're upgrading. It was the same feeling in Demon's and Dark 1. Dark Souls 2 didn't give a fuck and rained slabs on the player's face. It's the concept of having to carefully consider what you spend your upgrade materials on.

Top Bottom