• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Read the item description.
It tells you that if you use it, you get a gem.

Yeah, and you could use the Souls of Bosses in Dark Souls to craft better weapons, or you could just used them right away and get Souls. That was my thinking. Maybe I can craft a better weapon later on, or maybe, I'll keep it with me once I go to NG+. Nope.

JSub11

Hey guys,

Is it possible to get the Platinum on the first playthrough? I am saving the USB /cloud-save trick to get all three endings and I've been focusing on the Chalice dungeons before I go talk to
Gehrman

I read somewhere that one of the final hunter weapons (
Burial Blade
) can only be purchased from the messengers AFTER completing the game. Is this true? Thanks!!

Grexeno

I read somewhere that one of the final hunter weapons (
Burial Blade
) can only be purchased from the messengers AFTER completing the game. Is this true? Thanks!!
On the save where you intend to get the true ending and fight the true final boss after Gehrman, die to the true final boss after you beat Gehrman. You'll respawn in the Hunter's Dream and be able to buy the Burial Blade. You can then go right back to the true final boss (you won't need to beat Gehrman again.)

On the save where you intend to get the true ending and fight the true final boss after Gehrman, die to the true final boss after you beat Gehrman. You'll respawn in the Hunter's Dream and be able to buy the Burial Blade. You can then go right back to the true final boss (you won't need to beat Gehrman again.)

This is true.

JSub11

Thank you, good sir.

gunbo13

BoM is honestly more of a pvp weapon due to its heavy 1v1 oriented moveset.

Parrying is also really fun to try to nail consistently and is a core part of the game.
It being more PvP is part of the challenge. Same with not using parries often.

I beat the game so I'm nerfing myself, limiting options, forcing style, etc... This may not make sense to many people but it's how you dissect action games. I may try a run where I do viscerals and only attack if they don't work. Or maybe a no gunshot attempt, which would be interesting. So even if something is part of the core system, I have the option to throw it away if I don't see the fun in it anymore. There is legit criticism if you can't kill an enemy with a certain weapon's attacks, being forced to play distance game or rely on parries . It's super nit-picky but still valid.

Drop into any DMC, NG, Bayo, etc... combat discussion and this is normal fare. Once you beat the title the expected way, you go for the unexpected. It's more fun with the diversity and you often discover a lot of stuff that makes you more effective. I'm glad to say that BB has enough depth to satisfy such a system. Also note that this isn't limited to these action games. MGS4 for example is a perfect game to explore its system, skipping cut-scenes the subsequent times of course.
By the time you get to NG+ you already know how to deal with them or atleast know what's in that area. It's trial and error because the first time you go in you don't even know that there are three hunters in the room and that outside you have a whole range of enemies waiting full with buffs and projectiles while the three of them aggro on you.
I'm not sure I agree with the trial and error there. Of course you aren't going to know what is coming ahead but the game gives you a clear sight of the hunter in the middle when you enter. You don't see the hunter down the stairs or the one in the dark corner. However, I recall my first play-through. When I got ganked after doing a visceral on the middle guy, I ran away to clear aggro. Then I knew about the other hunters, and cheaped them out. You can kill all three doing backstabs without even fighting.

You can definitely lose their aggro and running out into the street is not a great idea. You can be hesitant and run left to the alley looping back. Or you could run back where you came. They may follow but you can lose them. Maybe you will get lucky and only one will pursue that far, which is another legit strat.

Stuff like traps are trial and error. I don't see this being a good example, it is a fair setup.

You can beat any enemy without viscerals, it usually just takes longer and will likely involve liberal use of slashes from a dash (since BoM range sucks), and fighting crowds you L2 to retreating slash before you get surrounded.

I'm not sure I agree with the trial and error there. Of course you aren't going to know what is coming ahead but the game gives you a clear sight of the hunter in the middle when you enter. You don't see the hunter down the stairs or the one in the dark corner. However, I recall my first play-through. When I got ganked after doing a visceral on the middle guy, I ran away to clear aggro. Then I knew about the other hunters, and cheaped them out. You can kill all three doing backstabs without even fighting.

You can definitely lose their aggro and running out into the street is not a great idea. You can be hesitant and run left to the alley looping back. Or you could run back where you came. They may follow but you can lose them. Maybe you will get lucky and only one will pursue that far, which is another legit strat.

Stuff like traps are trial and error. I don't see this being a good example, it is a fair setup.
Also a good decent amount of times when you encounter a hostile hunter, there are 2 of them.

gunbo13

You can beat any enemy without viscerals, it usually just takes longer and will likely involve liberal use of slashes from a dash (since BoM range sucks), and fighting crowds you L2 to retreating slash before you get surrounded.
Yep, and it is fun to figure out how in each situation.

Best combo = R1 (x#), R2, L2

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yeah, but I wasn't saying I needed the extra levels, I was saying doing Pthumeru 1 right after BSB at 25-30 makes it play like the Defiled one.

I know people are correcting me about the "not getting one shot makes a difference" but I suspect I would have been getting one shotted had I not leveled Vit this early (it was doing more of my percentage of my lifebar than it was in Defiled) so I still feel it was a similar scenario in that regard as well.

Sorry, I really wasn't trying to correct you specifically. Although I can see why you would have thought that given the way the first paragraph/sentence and the second one actually were intended to be separate and unrelated points. My apologies for that.

The second part ( the bit you quoted) was more of a general comment on several "I'm on my 30th try of this boss, and getting sick of farming vials" posts I'd read in the thread. Obviously people should play the game however they damn well like, but I was just trying to make the point that if you are struggling on a boss, levelling up for half-an-hour is most likely going to prove more fruitful than tearing your hair out from pure frustration :D

joecanada

Using Ludwig. I almost had him couple of times. But he one shot me both times with a jumping charge attack.

I found that when he charged he would do a little dance or whatever someone said about patting his feet, then I would dodge straight AT him, and he would miss and go right by... I think I use running jump or dodge and he would go flying by... the other attacks aren't as bad but the AOE sucks.

Phew...

4sslxnO.jpg

Strangely enough, defiled chalice didn't give me as much trouble as some other dungeons like lower loran.

I then promptly tried to make a quick PVP character by reverting back to v1.0 which failed miserably. After trying the forest skip for what seemed like hours and finally succeeding, the dogs blood echo glitch just wouldn't trigger for me. Guess I'll have to do it the hard way.

squidyj

So..... doing a fetid rotted cursed Ihyll.... there are hunters everywhere.

Die a few times against a guy with a fire buffed saw spear but it's no big deal and I start moving on, walk into a room, with some stairs on one side and a door on the other. Top of the stairs there's a dude in a golden arbeo, logarius' wheel, a cannon, and nothing else. Also theres one of those rifle dudes. So I take out the rifle dude and I'm dancing with Mr. Cannon when a red spider comes up behind me, so I'm like "fuck this" and I'm off to deal with the spider source. Get one-shot by cannon from full life.

I should really just agree to let gehrman kill me so I can get the plat, but I don't want to give up my chunk farming.

Soulhouf

Yeah, and you could use the Souls of Bosses in Dark Souls to craft better weapons, or you could just used them right away and get Souls. That was my thinking. Maybe I can craft a better weapon later on, or maybe, I'll keep it with me once I go to NG+. Nope.

Wait. I thought you had no idea there was a gem there. My mistake.

Anyway, knowing how these games work, you figured out that in the worst case scenario you'll miss a weapon/item/quest/whatever but it's never something you need to beat the game. It's part of the game, you experience and see what happens.
You made the choice to not use the item. That's fine and you didn't miss a very important thing TBH.
As for me, I saw how I lost the other red jewel (the little girl quest) so I said, this time I'm going to use it to see what kind of gem it holds.

Philippo

Finished the game yesterday.
Got all the three endings thanks to PS+ save swapping.

Last Boss combination of area aesthetic + god-tier theme was awe inspiring, i had actual chills running down my spine.

All in all legendary experience, let down the controller knowing it sucked my soul during all the time i played.

Adaren

By the time you get to NG+ you already know how to deal with them or atleast know what's in that area. It's trial and error because the first time you go in you don't even know that there are three hunters in the room and that outside you have a whole range of enemies waiting full with buffs and projectiles while the three of them aggro on you.

When I said arguments, I was referring to pictures like this that people post.
It's obviously not true in this case as like I said, there were no "clues".

When I did that part on NG, I saw two of the Hunter's in the distance. The third snuck up on me, but by the time he was close I had already taken out one of the Hunters and was fighting the other in an open area, so I had plenty of space to deal with them.

This is actually a great example of something that isn't "Trial and Error", imo. By examining the room before you go in, you can gain information and have a much easier time with it.

nOoblet16

It being more PvP is part of the challenge. Same with not using parries often.

I beat the game so I'm nerfing myself, limiting options, forcing style, etc... This may not make sense to many people but it's how you dissect action games. I may try a run where I do viscerals and only attack if they don't work. Or maybe a no gunshot attempt, which would be interesting. So even if something is part of the core system, I have the option to throw it away if I don't see the fun in it anymore. There is legit criticism if you can't kill an enemy with a certain weapon's attacks, being forced to play distance game or rely on parries . It's super nit-picky but still valid.

Drop into any DMC, NG, Bayo, etc... combat discussion and this is normal fare. Once you beat the title the expected way, you go for the unexpected. It's more fun with the diversity and you often discover a lot of stuff that makes you more effective. I'm glad to say that BB has enough depth to satisfy such a system. Also note that this isn't limited to these action games. MGS4 for example is a perfect game to explore its system, skipping cut-scenes the subsequent times of course.

That image again (which is used as a refutation a lot) is obnoxious because it claims that even traps, every one of them are not trial and error.

Anyways I see one hunter in a big room, I think alright this might be a tough hunter fight like the one in Grand Cathedral which I just fought before Yahargul, instead two more show up including one from my back. I run outside to lose aggro only to aggro even more enemies who are buffed up. Now you can take out the enemies outside very very easily, but it's like how it is with all Souls games, the first few time you encounter them is difficult as fuck as you are learning the pattern and enemy placement.

The reason why I ran outside and not back was because I hadn't killed the maiden and the enemies there as I died there a few times and decided just to run past them as that's what majority of the level had been up until this point cause when I tried to carefully take them out before the game punished me and told me "Run !", Now when I run the game wants me not to run :p.

The second time I killed everyone before entering the room and backstabbed the first one then hit him few more times to almost kill him then when I got outnumbered I ran back to the lamp to lose aggro, but they followed me back into the lamp room ! Where do I go from here? Back up is the Amagydala shooting laser with 10 enemies or so, so I had to fight them in the lamp room. The claw guy was easy, the tonitrus guy was fairly challenging because of his ranged attack and his flamesprayer. Basically what I am saying is that none of it is tough, yes but it could have been placed better and that Souls games don't always have perfectly designed encounters and traps. Also I couldn't go out from the left because I never opened that door in Hypogeon Gaol (didn't even notice that there was a door) was the only door I've missed in the game so far.

Definity

Started a second character after I logged over 100+ hours on my first. I'm still not really tired of this game. Can't get enough.

Has there been any word on DLC?

gunbo13

Also, are Chalice dungeons an online thing? Or can they be played offline?
Offline works but glyphs are online only.
That image again (which is used as a refutation a lot) is obnoxious because it claims that even traps, every one of them are not trial and error.

Anyways I see one hunter in a big room, I think alright this might be a tough hunter fight like the one in Grand Cathedral which I just fought before Yahargul, instead two more show up including one from my back. I run outside to lose aggro only to aggro even more enemies who are buffed up. Now you can take out the enemies outside very very easily, but it's like how it is with all Souls games, the first few time you encounter them is difficult as fuck as you are learning the pattern and enemy placement.
I'm not sure about the image you are referencing. I must have missed something. Regardless, there is plenty of surprise enemy placement in BB. The most annoying ones would be the brain suckers hiding behind doors and such. It's frustrating and somewhat trial & error. However, enemies hanging out in the shadows is just placement. I don't think of it necessarily as a trap or even forcing trial & error. You need to slowly aggro enemies in this title and make sure your exits are clear. There should always be an escape route. And are you making sure to sprint away from aggro? Few enemies will pursue if you sprint away, the worst being the damn dogs.

There are definitely things that could be done better with this title but I think it has a lot less trial & error then previous ones. It's more focused on strategy.

EDIT:
Make sure to use pebbles or gunshots to pull enemies.

hitgirl

So what's a super fun and broken character build? Need to play through one last time to get third ending. My only other build right now is str and skl using kirkhammer and Ludwig sword.

Finished it tonight,got some help in for
Gehrman
as I was struggling like man so thanks to that guy he was really helpful,the
moon presence
was pretty straight forward I thought, overall get game but I wasn't keen on Mensis at all and skipped the frontier all together as I just couldn't face it, the second half was not as good as the first for me.

zma1013

So what's a super fun and broken character build? Need to play through one last time to get third ending. My only other build right now is str and skl using kirkhammer and Ludwig sword.

Probably a Bloodtinge build with an Evelyn and Chikage sword. The sword especially does massive damage in its strong mode.

FaintDeftone

I finally finished the game over the weekend. Easily the best game this generation so far and my 2nd favorite Souls game. I know this one will be just as memorable as Dark Souls was.

I got two of the three endings. The worst one and the best one. I still need to revert my save file from the cloud and get the middle ending. I actually liked the bad ending the most but you miss out of two cool boss fights.

Nightmare of Mensis
was an area I really put off until there was nowhere else to go, but it wasn't that difficult once you get past the huge hurdle in the beginning. Once the 2nd lamp is reached, it gets much easier. Both bosses there were pretty easy, but it was one of my least favorite areas in the game.

I'm going to keep a save file handy that sits prior to attempting any ending so I can further explore the game and keep the world open for any potential DLC. Otherwise, I think I can finally move on to a different game. Maybe I should finally open MKX...

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Still going through the game very slowly - The last bosses I beat were
Amelia and the witches. I got kidnapped
and cleared+looted the whole area, but the boss is seriously wrecking my shit. I'm getting one or two shotted by some of the bigger attacks and I'm having trouble figuring out their hitboxes. So I ended up going back to explore elsewhere for now.

Is this
three hunters thing that area to the right of Amelia's room? I only saw two hunters there, and eventually managed to beat them by luring them out and taking them on one at a time. Didn't see a third one so I'm not sure if that's the spot that everyone is talking about.

I am completely lost in this game at this point. I found my way into the
forest, went in one way and came out to the area near where the game started, but didn't find a boss anywhere. Then I explored the blood clinic starting area, found out that the lady talking behind the door had become some kind of crazy mad scientist and killed her (she was a pain in the ass to fight). Not sure if that's what I was supposed to do but she dropped a pretty good rune in the process. Then I managed to get into Cainhurst but
again, not sure if I'm even supposed to be here because the first enemies I encountered there twoshotted me.

Oh well, wandering around aimlessly is kind of part of the game.

hitgirl

Can someone walk me through the ending save glitch? I'm in the middle of a ng+ run and wanted to see both the endings I missed.

ctfg23

Can someone walk me through the ending save glitch? I'm in the middle of a ng+ run and wanted to see both the endings I missed.

Kill
Mergo's Wet Nurse
When
Hunter's Dream is on fire
, save and quit.
Back up save to flash drive and/or PS+ cloud.
Do desired ending, exit game and reload save.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I put a fire gem in my threaded cane and suddenly it was made out of cellophane. yikes. bad call!

edit: almost certainly has to do with switching scaling around or something, right?

I put a fire gem in my threaded cane and suddenly it was made out of cellophane. yikes. bad call!

edit: almost certainly has to do with switching scaling around or something, right?

Yeah any elemental gems causes it to switch to Arcane scaling.

I've got two videos to share.

The first one is my broken ritual altar, that doesn't work anymore no matter what I do: http://youtu.be/ePim3SATpJk

The second is me taking down that bastard Watchdog of the Old Lords: http://youtu.be/29T-IAIGIDs

It's a sloppy fight, but definitely the hardest boss I've fought so far.

Nicely done! those are some, perhaps the toughest fights.

squidyj

yep. if your weapon is all physical then it will convert all damage to fire which will only scale off of the arcane scaling on your weapon.

Top Bottom