• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

squidyj

Exit out of the game and go to your settings. You can retrieve cloud saves, if you are a PS+ user. Check the date on the save and see if it's worth doing. It may be a day old, or possibly a few hours.

As an aside, if you find any Umbilical Chords, don't consume them. That way, you can use your save to get all of the endings without replaying the game completely.

Hmmmm, I've made it to the defiled chalice. Haven't done any roots, and skipped Lower Loran chalice.

each depth 5 root has the possibility of having a blood rock in it. Once you find a rock in that root though future rocks are converted to Great One's Wisdom, so you can only get 3 out of chalice dungeons. A decision I find slightly frustrating. That and the decision to so drastically limit chunk farming :(

It was never saves to the cloud to begin with
I have another hunter, but this means I have to try to beat gasgoine again

What the heck? Do you not have it enabled? It should auto save into the cloud via PS+ :(

each depth 5 root has the possibility of having a blood rock in it. Once you find a rock in that root though future rocks are converted to Great One's Wisdom, so you can only get 3 out of chalice dungeons. A decision I find slightly frustrating. That and the decision to so drastically limit chunk farming :(
Hmmm, might have to do some root dungeons after I complete the regular chalices.

Arcane scaling doesn't suck in this game!

Been doing Chalice Dungeons before Vicar Amelia. When I come back on to play I'm gonna start Hintertomb Depth 3 at SL 35. I want the Shortroot. :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, he was pretty difficult for me as well. I ended up winning by extreme patience and only attacking when I was sure I'd hit him safely.
If he can heal, how does this strategy result in victory? o_.

edit: wow, this is a complete joke. I can get him to 33% but really no lower, then he heals. kills me in one or two hits. viscerals do barely any damage to him. I haven't fought anything this demoralizing yet.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
i see, and I'm only going to ever get my arcane to 15 to use the Blades of Mercy (when I find them, finally, somewhere ;_;). So no fire for me!

Blades of Mercy's Arcane Damage only counts if you attack using it immediately after side-stepping.

Not worth it raising Arcane for it. Especially since you can't buff it.

EL CUCO

edit: wow, this is a complete joke. I can get him to 33% but really no lower, then he heals. kills me in one or two hits. viscerals do barely any damage to him. I haven't fought anything this demoralizing yet.
That guy was a serious pain in the arse...and rightfully so, being that he took out
Eileen

I had to take the fight to the stairs.

Stay within dashing range. You can interrupt the healing, just be sure not to exhaust your stamina. You will want to dash out immediately afterward to avoid the oncoming slashes.

Numbing Mist can be helpful or punish with a bullet to the face when he heals. From wanted this fight to be a "real player" but its cheap. I think he will always kill you with a visceral attack no matter what.

Yay! Just got all the endings
via the USB trick
Co-oped
Gherman
the first time then managed to solo the fucker first time for my
Moon Presence
attempt. Just the chalice stuff left... which im stuck on the
undead giant
in lower phtumerian laberinth layer two. Would it be best to do the chalice stuff after NG or shall I reload pre-NG?

Grexeno

Yay! Just got all the endings
via the USB trick
Co-oped
Gherman
the first time then managed to solo the fucker first time for my
Moon Presence
attempt. Just the chalice stuff left... which im stuck on the
undead giant
in lower phtumerian laberinth layer two. Would it be best to do the chalice stuff after NG or shall I reload pre-NG?
Chalice dungeons don't scale with NG+ so it doesn't make any difference.

squidyj

Blades of Mercy's Arcane Damage only counts if you attack using it immediately after side-stepping.

Not worth it raising Arcane for it. Especially since you can't buff it.

incorrect, it always does the arcane, but those attacks have a high damage multiplier and the arcane is a very small amount.

Yeah, Tonitrus, BoM, and Burial Blade all get partial arcane scaling damage (Bolt element in Tonitrus' case), but they're still mainly physical weapons with only a fraction of arcane damage (though Tonitrus does have a self-buff feature that increases bolt damage, but I don't know enough about the weapon to know how well arcane scaling works with it.)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
ah so you can equip it and do full damage regardless of being at 15?

incorrect, it always does the arcane, but those attacks have a high damage multiplier and the arcane is a very small amount.

Hmm, really? I know there's a specific tell where the Blades are using Arcane when it calculates damage; IIRC the blade somehow flashes/there's a sound for it. If I'm not mistaken EpicNameBro also said the same thing. Hmm, I'd better check it again.

Regardless, It's much better to raise Skill for it if you want to cause damage with it.

All in all Arcane's biggest advantage is more loot, cause if you want to inflict damage with it it's just dwarfed immeasurably by Strength/Skill... hell, even Bloodtinge especially if you factor in Bone Marrow Ash/Chikage.

EL CUCO

Glyph system for coop is the stupidest mechanic I've ever seen. My friend and I wated to coop layer 3 defiled but my glyph starts him at layer 1, forcing him to clear layers 1 and 2 just so we can sound our bells... genius
ksrGj85.jpg

IIRC the blade somehow flashes/there's a sound for it.
If I'm not mistaken that is for when you do an attack after performing some kind of maneuver like a quickstep. If you look at the BoM description it says that it has improved damage when you attack out of a dash so it has a visual indication that you're getting an increased damage modifier for those attacks.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That guy was a serious pain in the arse...and rightfully so, being that he took out
Eileen
I had to take the fight to the stairs.
Stay within dashing range. You can interrupt the healing, just be sure not to exhaust your stamina. You will want to dash out immediately afterward to avoid the oncoming slashes.
Numbing Mist can be helpful or punish with a bullet to the face when he heals. From wanted this fight to be a "real player" but its cheap. I think he will always kill you with a visceral attack no matter what.
Thanks for the tips. He's never visceraled me, but two shots from that whatever double pistol kill me easily. I guess interrupting his heals is the key, just seems so damn tough.

I could easily (well, relatively) win through caution, patience and attrition if not for his healing. feels like the fight will be endless unless I can learn to punish that somehow, but my instinct is to bail the fuck out whenever possible to be safe.
Hmm, really? I know there's a specific tell where the Blades are using Arcane when it calculates damage; IIRC the blade somehow flashes/there's a sound for it. If I'm not mistaken EpicNameBro also said the same thing. Hmm, I'd better check it again.

Regardless, It's much better to raise Skill for it if you want to cause damage with it.

All in all Arcane's biggest advantage is more loot, cause if you want to inflict damage with it it's just dwarfed immeasurably by Strength/Skill... hell, even Bloodtinge especially if you factor in Bone Marrow Ash/Chikage.
Again, it's just that it has an arcane requirement of 15. That's all I was planning to raise it to. If that isn't necessary to equip it and do full damage, I won't bother!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
If I'm not mistaken that is for when you do an attack after performing some kind of maneuver like a quickstep. If you look at the BoM description it says that it has improved damage when you attack out of a dash so it has a visual indication that you're getting an increased damage modifier for those attacks.

I could have sworn EnB said that it adds the Arcane Damage to the overall damage calculation only at that improved damage moments, like when you immediately attack after side-stepping.

Again, it's just that it has an arcane requirement of 15. That's all I was planning to raise it to. If that isn't necessary to equip it and do full damage, I won't bother!

But Blade of Mercy's requirement is 7 STR 11 SKL and no Arcane...?

Regardless, yeah, don't raise Arcane with the singular purpose of inflicting damage. It just won't do.

spliced

I have to disagree with your assessment. How does the game "fall off" near the end? And the twitchy fighting is just fast pace from pussy turtling for a backstab and hexing nonsense. Perhaps it's too fast past for you but I don't see PvP being rotten to core. At all.

It's true I don't like the combat speed, I found the other games' slower more strategic combat more enjoyable. I liked the variety magic brought and I don't buy that turtling was ever much of an issue. Of all the Souls I've played and watched turtlers tended to be some of the easier people to kill.

I vehemently disagree. It doesn't drop off at all personally. Even if you were to claim it does, you can't possibly think it drops off like Dark Souls?! If anything, some of the later areas like
Nightmare of Mensis, middle floor, Cainhurst and Upper Cathedral Ward
have been some of my favourite areas. Great level design and lore implications. The bosses in those aeas have been brilliant fights as well.

Also think it's harsh to criticise the ease of creating shortcuts and so on. It should be commended for having such great level design that you can bypass an entire level with a shortcut you discovered. Also, considering resources are finite, I'm pretty sure the easier short cut paths to bosses is to ensure you don't go in with less than optimal vials and QS bullets.

Nightmare Frontier
wasn't quite Lost Izalith bad but it stands out as being awful, it has that same 'I just want to get this over with' feel that LI has.
The lecture building is dull. Upper Cathedral Ward
was a disappointment, it felt like some recycled tacked on area other than the bosses which I did like.
Cainhurst
nailed the aesthetics, but the combat in the
castle was a bore, the ghost enemies
are some of the worst in the game.

I liked the shortcuts, I just felt like making the observation that the game ended up being quite different from what some folks were expecting before release.

I could have sworn EnB said that it adds the Arcane Damage to the overall damage calculation only at that improved damage moments, like when you immediately attack after side-stepping.
I'll test it here in a few moments (I have a BoM on one character with arcane gemmed in), but atm one of the wiki sites lists that the arcane damage does apply to all attacks.

Testing +10 BoM arcane damage with two handed R1 (just the first hit, no combo string) on the guy in front of the first ladder in Central Yharnam on NG+++

Without gems: 149-179 damage (depending on if you sweet spot the hitbox)
With gems that only increase arcane damage: 195-233 damage

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Is this dog's dash supposed to kill me in one hit, or an I just terrible?

Yeah well even with a 50 VIT plus HP runes it takes only two hits from it to kill you.

Testing +10 BoM arcane damage with two handed R1 (just the first hit, no combo string) on the guy in front of the first ladder in Central Yharnam on NG+++

Without gems: 149-179 damage (depending on if you sweet spot the hitbox)
With gems that only increase arcane damage: 195-233 damage

Hmmm, so it appears I was mistaken then. Maybe I misheard EnB. Gotta re-check his videos again.

EL CUCO

I've gone through about 200 vials on defiled Amygdala. I can get him to the last phase consistently but I always die by his jump when he lands on me. Brutal fight.

squidyj

Those were some interesting fights, I'm definitely a lot better at fighting saw spear NPCs than I was at the start of the night.

Finally got my platinum tonight, I feel so relieved lol! I spent about 45 hours on the main game play through and 55 on the chalice dungeons.

I really didn't feel the dungeons, the rewards were so trivial, and it was a long dredge to gather everything to make it deep enough for the last trophy.

Once I won, I pretty much hit delete lol I've had my share of self inflicted torture for the year lmao.

Welp time to finish DA:I now before Witcher 3 hits (and no way in hell will I platinum DA:I my ocd already has me at like 120hrs, and I haven't even touched most zones o_o)

Thanks for keeping me sane during those 50+ death boss fights guys, I was so close to calling it quits the other day >_<

Posting about the bosses because I'm at work but thinking about Bloodborne. The list of bosses I experienced differently in my playthroughs.

Playthroughs were:

NG strenght build with Ludwig's Holy Blade (1st) where I missed a lot of stuff because it was a blind playthrough, NG skill build with Blades of Mercy (2nd) and NG+ with (the same) skill build (3rd). NG+ run was only the mandatory bosses.

Vicar Amelia
went from six hour road block on my 1st run to a moderate challenge on the 2nd and 3rd.

Shadows of Yharnam
went from moderate on my 1st, to very hard on the 2nd and easy on 3rd.

Rom
went from a 20+ tries roadblock on 1st to super easy on 2nd and 3rd.

Amygdala
went from easy on the 1st to moderate on 2nd.

The rest of the bosses were of the same percieved difficulty, or I did not fight them on the first or the third playthrough.

I've gone through about 200 vials on defiled Amygdala. I can get him to the last phase consistently but I always die by his jump when he lands on me. Brutal fight.

For phase 2:

Get behind it's tail. Hit once or twice. He'll jump forward, always. Run behind it's tail. Rinse & repeat.

Pre-emptive question about a certain four legged boss in Defiled Chalice.

Talking about the Watch Doge of course. Anyone know if it is all fire damage, or a mix of physical for ther most part and fire on certain attacks? Or is it physical and fire all the time, and if so, is it more physical or more fire? I'm thinking should I go with fire resist or physical resist when I start to bound my head against it after I get home from work.

squidyj

Pre-emptive question about a certain four legged boss in Defiled Chalice.

Talking about the Watch Doge of course. Anyone know if it is all fire damage, or a mix of physical for ther most part and fire on certain attacks? Or is it physical and fire all the time, and if so, is it more physical or more fire? I'm thinking should I go with fire resist or physical resist when I start to bound my head against it after I get home from work.

The best fire resist sets don't sacrifice much physical. for runes i would just go +hp.

The real question is does he do blunt or standard physical. that would help you figure out which fire resist set to wear.

Doing Defiled atm but trying to get help via coop.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get randoms to join? I've made the dungeon 'open' and have had the odd person join but it's few n far between. Do they have to be in there own world's Defiled dungeon and ringing their resonance bell to have a chance of joining me?

Thanks

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
i'm so bad at this game. i've made 0 progress. y'know the beginning where you try fight the wolf, die, go to the nightmare place to get weapons, go back to fight the wolf and climb up the ladder to the lantern. that's where i am.

i can get to near the gate where there is something banging at the door. it's just when i try get to the other side i keep dying. can't take on all these creepy guys at once. i did do it once and these birds killed me.

this is my first time playing a game like this. i feel stupid and dumb. it can't be that hard can it? i'm gone into the game totally blind and know nothing.

i can get to near the gate where there is something banging at the door. it's just when i try get to the other side i keep dying. can't take on all these creepy guys at once. i did do it once and these birds killed me.

this is my first time playing a game like this. i feel stupid and dumb. it can't be that hard can it? i'm gone into the game totally blind and know nothing.

I found that in the start you have to be very carefull with the mob. Try to lure them out one at the time. At some point, after killing some of them, you can just go and run past them into the next area (with the birds), they wont follow you.

Also, at the area with the birds,
look closely and you can find a hidden path that takes you back to the first lamp post and lets you go past the mob in the future.

inthrall

i'm so bad at this game. i've made 0 progress. y'know the beginning where you try fight the wolf, die, go to the nightmare place to get weapons, go back to fight the wolf and climb up the ladder to the lantern. that's where i am.

It takes time, I spent twenty hours in my first souls game before I beat a single boss. Learn how enemies attack, find ways to pick the off one by one, and look for shortcuts to make your walks a lot shorter. Last of all, enjoy! If it stresses you out, wait a while and come back later

Derpot

Ah, don't worry. You need to get used to the gameplay, you'll get better.
I think the beginning of the game is quite difficult. I mean, there are too many enemies and you can't level up until you have 1 Insight point.

A piece of advice: I think it'd be good if you get some echoes to buy the Yharnam Hunter Set in the Hunter's Dream. You will have a better defense with it, because the Foreign Set is... yeah, not really good, lol.

Soulhouf

Use pebbles to lure enemies one by one.

Top Bottom