• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

BokehKing

Banned
i'm so bad at this game. i've made 0 progress. y'know the beginning where you try fight the wolf, die, go to the nightmare place to get weapons, go back to fight the wolf and climb up the ladder to the lantern. that's where i am.

i can get to near the gate where there is something banging at the door. it's just when i try get to the other side i keep dying. can't take on all these creepy guys at once. i did do it once and these birds killed me.

this is my first time playing a game like this. i feel stupid and dumb. it can't be that hard can it? i'm gone into the game totally blind and know nothing.
You are me two weeks ago, trust me once things click and you explore some more you will feel better about the game. Until you get to the first story boss, then you will lose all hope all over again

cslesce

i'm so bad at this game. i've made 0 progress. y'know the beginning where you try fight the wolf, die, go to the nightmare place to get weapons, go back to fight the wolf and climb up the ladder to the lantern. that's where i am.

i can get to near the gate where there is something banging at the door. it's just when i try get to the other side i keep dying. can't take on all these creepy guys at once. i did do it once and these birds killed me.

this is my first time playing a game like this. i feel stupid and dumb. it can't be that hard can it? i'm gone into the game totally blind and know nothing.

same here, just don't loose hope hehe...learn.

When will we get another patch for the game? There is this stupid audio bug in the German localisation that makes the Graveyard Hags sound like chipmunks. I want them to take care of it before I continue.

I already played through the game with English voice acting and started another playthrough with the German voice acting (to see how it holds up). But for the love of god I can't continue because that really puts me off and kills the immersion for me personally.

This is awesome.

When will we get another patch for the game? There is this stupid audio bug in the German localisation that makes the Graveyard Hags sound like chipmunks. I want them to take care of it before I continue.

I already played through the game with English voice acting and started another playthrough with the German voice acting (to see how it holds up). But for the love of god I can't continue because that really puts me off and kills the immersion for me personally.

lol This is great!

Think about all the Germans playing this and not realizing it's a bug!

That bug is actually kinda creepy lol

Also, through much patience, I've slain the flaming beast. Damn that was tense.

My copy finally arrived.

I've barely played Dark Souls. I'm in for a ride.
Yes. Yes you are. It gets a tad bit easier after the first boss, but before that I found it quite difficult. Also, the combat tutorial(if you want to call it that) is hilariously evil.

Still making progress on my fourth run through the game, a fresh character built for the Blade of Mercy. You know a game is great when you beat it multiple times, get the platinum trophy, and still can't stop playing. This honestly never happens to me with games anymore, I tend to beat a game once and I'm done with it.

This game is fun.

Gbraga

Still making progress on my fourth run through the game, a fresh character built for the Blade of Mercy. You know a game is great when you beat it multiple times, get the platinum trophy, and still can't stop playing. This honestly never happens to me with games anymore, I tend to beat a game once and I'm done with it.

This game is fun.

Well, at least it shows it's the games not being good enough, and not you not having the patience to play them more than once anymore, if there was any doubt :p

I thought I was done with replaying games that aren't DMC too until I played Dark Souls.

Now the problem is that I barely play anything else.

Pons

Neo Member
From really needs to fix the co-op/invasion system in Bloodborne. Just gut the whole thing and put in the summon sign system from Souls games for crying out loud.

I wanted to have my brother summon me into his chalice dungeon last night for some chalice co-op. Made sure we are within level range of each other, I am 113, he is 108.

Steps taken:
1. We both put a passcode in our network settings. (tried it without as well)
2. I had Horsticuffs pick a chalice dungeon and create it new at the altar, make it public, and provide me the glyph for it. So we were at the same parts of the chalice dungeon.
3. We both then entered our respective copies of the chalice dungeon.
a) I then rang my small resonant bell, and when the searching dialog popped up, had him hit his Beckoning bell (I have read in this thread that this is more successful than the normal range, after 15 minutes, we gave up).
b) we then tried it the normal way, where he rang his Beckoning and I rang my resonant bell.

The entire time, we are leaving each other messages and rating them, looking at ghosts of each character moving around, but not ever able to co-op together.

It's bloody broken and should not be this freaking complicated. I love me some Bloodborne, but when it comes to co-op and pvp/invasions, DS2 Sotfs craps all over it.

Well, at least it shows it's the games not being good enough, and not you not having the patience to play them more than once anymore, if there was any doubt :p

I thought I was done with replaying games that aren't DMC too until I played Dark Souls.

Now the problem is that I barely play anything else.
I know what you mean! I keep trying to play other games but there is always that feeling after a Souls game that everything else is just a little lacking. These games are experiences that I will cherish forever.

EL CUCO

Grrr all I can think about is getting home and trying to beat that hunter for another 4 hours.
Ha! That's how I feel about Defiled Amygdal, this morning. The only bad thing is I need to grind blood vials, since I used them all last night 😖
For phase 2:

Get behind it's tail. Hit once or twice. He'll jump forward, always. Run behind it's tail. Rinse & repeat.
Thanks. I'll give this a try tonight. I was mainly by his sides Attacking one of the rear arms for phase 2. Dat jump tho. It always seems to flatten me like a pancake. I was able to get his HP bar down to his name a couple times but never able to close the deal.

The biggest bullshit about the hunter in the church is that even if you hit him with healing mist he can still heal. I managed to get him on my 3rd try because I was over leveled but that nearly put me on tilt

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
From really needs to fix the co-op/invasion system in Bloodborne. Just gut the whole thing and put in the summon sign system from Souls games for crying out loud.

I wanted to have my brother summon me into his chalice dungeon last night for some chalice co-op. Made sure we are within level range of each other, I am 113, he is 108.

Steps taken:
2. I had Horsticuffs pick a chalice dungeon and create it new at the altar, make it public, and provide me the glyph for it. So we were at the same parts of the chalice dungeon.
a) I then rang my small resonant bell, and when the searching dialog popped up, had him hit his Beckoning bell (I have read in this thread that this is more successful than the normal range, after 15 minutes, we gave up).
b) we then tried it the normal way, where he rang his Beckoning and I rang my resonant bell.

The entire time, we are leaving each other messages and rating them, looking at ghosts of each character moving around, but not ever able to co-op together.

It's bloody broken and should not be this freaking complicated. I love me some Bloodborne, but when it comes to co-op and pvp/invasions, DS2 Sotfs craps all over it.
I couldn't believe how ineffective it was! It's an amazing game mind you, but what the fuck?

Grrr all I can think about is getting home and trying to beat that hunter for another 4 hours.
In my current run I was trying to get to BoM as quickly as possible so I had to beat that guy at pretty low level with only a Saw Cleaver +3. In other words, I needed a good cheesy strategy! I'm not sure if you're interested in that type of thing but I'll tell you what I did.

First off, you want to lead him away from the center of the room back to the staircase. His AI will prevent him from following you out of the building and he will slowly walk back up the stairs backwards. If you get close he'll attempt to come after you and then start backing away again. Now that you've got an opportunity for cheese it's time to break out the poison knives. 3 of them will poison him and then you can just watch his health drain for awhile. Once you run out of those you can start shooting him with any bone marrow ash you have. After that you can hit him with some oil urns and molotovs. Hopefully he's pretty close to dead by that point but if you have to get some hits in just try to bait his attack, hit him once, and back away down the stairs. It's very tedious and uses a ton of items but if you want a really safe way to fight him that's my suggestion!

Steps taken:

Did you open the appropriate ports on your routers? My friend and I couldn't find eachother at all in chalice dungeons until we did.

Artex

Banned
I see people with like perma fire or bolt on their blades. I have gems that say fire something or rather but when I equip it I see no fire. Sup with that?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The biggest bullshit about the hunter in the church is that even if you hit him with healing mist he can still heal. I managed to get him on my 3rd try because I was over leveled but that nearly put me on tilt
I really don't know how I'm going to do it, I haven't successfully interrupted his healing a single time yet. :-/ I guess I could level up and come back but urg. I want to
help Eileen, and I really want the Blades of Mercy, and I have trouble leaving and coming back to things rather than trying them over and over and over until I win ;_;
In my current run I was trying to get to BoM as quickly as possible so I had to beat that guy at pretty low level with only a Saw Cleaver +3. In other words, I needed a good cheesy strategy! I'm not sure if you're interested in that type of thing but I'll tell you what I did.

First off, you want to lead him away from the center of the room back to the staircase. His AI will prevent him from following you out of the building and he will slowly walk back up the stairs backwards. If you get close he'll attempt to come after you and then start backing away again. Now that you've got an opportunity for cheese it's time to break out the poison knives. 3 of them will poison him and then you can just watch his health drain for awhile. Once you run out of those you can start shooting him with any bone marrow ash you have. After that you can hit him with some oil urns and molotovs. Hopefully he's pretty close to dead by that point but if you have to get some hits in just try to bait his attack, hit him once, and back away down the stairs. It's very tedious and uses a ton of items but if you want a really safe way to fight him that's my suggestion!
Thanks, I don't want to cheese him though. And... this may be painful for you, but there's a way easier way to do so if you're interested.

Dast

I stopped playing for a couple weeks and tried to get back into it last night, but I am confused as to where to go. I beat A
melia
and have found the following:

A locked door where a hand grabs me and kills me past the area with two hunters

The forbidden woods

An area past two giants that looks like it overlooks the city - If you go down the steps from Amelia and straight through the gate these giants.

Help please! :)

Thanks, I don't want to cheese him though. And... this may be painful for you, but there's a way easier way to do so if you're interested.
That's cool man, good luck taking him out! Definitely one of the toughest enemies in the game. The easier way is to just let his health drain, right? I feel kind of bad being that cheap about it, haha.

Pons

Neo Member
Did you open the appropriate ports on your routers? My friend and I couldn't find eachother at all in chalice dungeons until we did.

I haven't opened any special ports on our routers just for bloodborne no. Keeping in mind I have no issues with DS2 Sotfs, or any other game other than bloodborne.

but when it comes to bloodborne, can I do invasions, or get invaded or summoned or be summoned. Yes I can, sometimes it takes a little while (being summoned or invaded is near instant, takes a little while for me to summon someone else into my game), but I can, the problem is I was looking for one specific person.

Either way, if one game requires you to open specific ports for that game, when you can do mp fine in any other game, and your NAT type is fine in your psn network status, then that games multiplayer's is busted and needs to be fixed.

Goddamn. Paarl as a Fourbro is ZERO fun. That would've been 15 to 20 attempts methinks.

I guess I've only really fought him a few times in an accumulated 120 hours, but for whatever reason, I find him to be the one boss in the entire game that requires a good 10+ attempts/silly deaths to relearn and figure out how I should be fighting him, rather than whatever amateur nonsense I had begun with; and of course, when it clicks, I steamroll the crap out of him and it all seems so easy in retrospect.

I stopped playing for a couple weeks and tried to get back into it last night, but I am confused as to where to go. I beat A
melia
and have found the following:

A locked door where a hand grabs me and kills me past the area with two hunters

The forbidden woods

An area past two giants that looks like it overlooks the city - If you go down the steps from Amelia and straight through the gate these giants.

Help please! :)
Go the the grand cathdreal lamp post down the stairs. Then take a right and follow that pathway into a cave/ forest. After clearing that area, do the same thing but instead go to the plaza where those 2 Reapers are at. There should be 1 to the right in front of an alley way. Take that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That's cool man, good luck taking him out! Definitely one of the toughest enemies in the game.
Thanks, I will need it.
The easier way is to just let his health drain, right? I feel kind of bad being that cheap about it, haha.
Yeah, just abuse the "can't follow you out of the buildling" with the health drain from the chikage transform. But I must kill him with my cane.

RefigeKru

Banned
I was thinking that this game is nowhere near as hard as people would have me believe.

Then
Vicar Amelia

Then the
Hypogean Gaol.

Then
Darkbeast Paarl.

Then I fall. As I must rise again.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I haven't opened any special ports on our routers just for bloodborne no. Keeping in mind I have no issues with DS2 Sotfs, or any other game other than bloodborne.

but when it comes to bloodborne, can I do invasions, or get invaded or summoned or be summoned. Yes I can, sometimes it takes a little while (being summoned or invaded is near instant, takes a little while for me to summon someone else into my game), but I can, the problem is I was looking for one specific person.

Either way, if one game requires you to open specific ports for that game, when you can do mp fine in any other game, and your NAT type is fine in your psn network status, then that games multiplayer's is busted and needs to be fixed.

Well, it's like I told you last night; "This is some Nintendo bullshit right here!"

I couldn't believe how counter-intuitive it all was.

Well, I didn't think it was going to happen after hearing horror stories on this board about him but I finally beat W
atchdog of the Old Lords
in the Defiled Chalice last night after about 10-15 tries!!! Here's video of it if anyone wants to see that it CAN be done by a normal skilled player, lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu5KVHne4QE I watched some other people's video and strategies, but they were all waaaay more profiecient about not getting hit than I am & that coupled with the half-health in the defiled chalice made this fight VERY difficult. I was level 112 when I beat him, with full Bone Ash armor, two Health Runes + 1 Fire damage resist rune as well if that helps anyone.

By far the best feeling of accomplishment I've had in Bloodborne, or really any video game for quite some while. Feels good man!! :)

gunbo13

each depth 5 root has the possibility of having a blood rock in it. Once you find a rock in that root though future rocks are converted to Great One's Wisdom, so you can only get 3 out of chalice dungeons. A decision I find slightly frustrating. That and the decision to so drastically limit chunk farming :(
The game is balanced for one +10 a play-through (which is why you only get one rock). You get the required 16 chunks and more from basically Yahar'gul to the end. The rocks in the three chalice root sections are a bonus. I think what should have been done is having more chunks drop in the chalice dungeons. At least enough to get two +10s without farming.
I think he will always kill you with a visceral attack no matter what.
Except with vitality around 50, then you are left with about 5%. Still, rare you will be at 100% to take such a blow.
Ooh thanks.. will it be easier to over level myself in NG+ if im stuggling with certain bits then?
NG+ doesn't drop as much souls as you think. You could level up faster farming souls in chalice.
Shadow of yharnm is kicking my ass in NG+
Much more aggressive and faster.
Shield yourself from projectiles by using the large gravestone, staying on the opposite side. Then just visceral the two shadows on physical attacks. If they evolve, side dodge the stretch attacks and repeat the strategy. The AoE one will be left and then the summons come. Just avoid the snake things until they go back down. Then dash in on the AoE guy and wreck him. It's an easy fight using that strat.
Goddamn. Paarl as a Fourbro is ZERO fun. That would've been 15 to 20 attempts methinks.
If you get solid attacks off on his legs, he will crumble regularly, easily killed. Just roll in and accurately hack his legs. When he crumbles, beat the hell out of him. If you have enough DPS, he will crumble quickly after. Just avoid his AoE attack. I took him out in NG+ in embarrassing fashion.

Bowler

Finally defiled chalice is down and a quick run through Loran to get the last 2 red jelly for great phtumerian. And the trophy. By far this is the true test of bloodborne

Well, I didn't think it was going to happen after hearing horror stories on this board about him but I finally beat W
atchdog of the Old Lords
in the Defiled Chalice last night after about 10-15 tries!!! Here's video of it if anyone wants to see that it CAN be done by a normal skilled player, lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu5KVHne4QE I watched some other people's video and strategies, but they were all waaaay more profiecient about not getting hit than I am & that coupled with the half-health in the defiled chalice made this fight VERY difficult. I was level 112 when I beat him, with full Bone Ash armor, two Health Runes + 1 Fire damage resist rune as well if that helps anyone.

By far the best feeling of accomplishment I've had in Bloodborne, or really any video game for quite some while. Feels good man!! :)
Nicely done, that was a fun watch. Your great patience was rewarded! I have to say, when that aoe hit you towards the end and he nearly got you with a charge attack I felt my heart skip a beat, haha.

It's interesting watching how different players fought him. I don't think I ever hit his head, I was always trying to dodge past his attacks to smack him in the legs. It gets tough when he starts mixing up his moves, though.

Gammacide

If he can heal, how does this strategy result in victory? o_.

edit: wow, this is a complete joke. I can get him to 33% but really no lower, then he heals. kills me in one or two hits. viscerals do barely any damage to him. I haven't fought anything this demoralizing yet.
I beat him with the amazing dodge then slash of the BoM. SO effective as it seems to home in on him every time even when he has disappeared. Plus I don't think he heals forever. It took a long patient while to kill him but it was one of the most fun and tense fights in the game for me.

Nicely done, that was a fun watch. Your great patience was rewarded! I have to say, when that aoe hit you towards the end and he nearly got you with a charge attack I felt my heart skip a beat, haha.

It's interesting watching how different players fought him. I don't think I ever hit his head, I was always trying to dodge past his attacks to smack him in the legs. It gets tough when he starts mixing up his moves, though.

Haha, thanks! Yeah, I about about lost it there in a panic when that AOE hit me. I thought I was out of its range but apparently was not. I saw another video that was more aggressive in doing what I attempted to do in just going for his head, but I had to do it at my own pace. That fight probably made me a better payer as I really had to study all his attacks and their tells to be successful. Especially in the 2nd and 3rd phases where he mixes up his attacks like you said.

atchdog of the Old Lords

Congrats! I'm still hitting my head against it. Gotten as far as maybe 30% HP left.

Korosenai

This! I might actually be looking forward to that more than most announcements at E3, lol. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, but I'll be disappointed if they don't announce DLC.
I wonder if they're going to add things to the map, where you inspect it and transport into a nightmare. Maybe turn
Laurences
skull into one, which will take you to the Nightmare of
Laurence
? To see his backstory and exactly what happened to him?

Or they could just give us Chalices and let us create a Chalice Dungeon that has a unique story in it.

Maybesew

What type of damage does Martyr do? His spells are hitting me harder than j would expect on new game plus. I want to make sure Ive got the right resistance on

Artex

Banned

A week from now you'll look back and chuckle at how green you were. Keep playing.

Doomsayer

I finally broke down and bought a PS4 and this game.

I'm level 21 right now and I just took down
the Cleric Beast
. This game is fucking hard, but I love it. He was absolutely wrecking me, it took about 10 tries before I 'got it' and took him out in two more attempts. Not bad.

I guess I need to go to the lyset chalice? I thought I got the defiled chalice from the brig wolf dude

Bring him to the stairs, fighting him in the main room was a suicide for me.
Always stun him with R1 if you see him doing a evasion to the side be prepared to use your gun or if you are using a two handed weapon use L2 or start to charge your R2, dont let him take space or he will heal/shoot you

What type of damage does Martyr do? His spells are hitting me harder than j would expect on new game plus. I want to make sure Ive got the right resistance on

Blood and physical.

Artex

Banned
I finally broke down and bought a PS4 and this game.

I'm level 21 right now and I just took down
the Cleric Beast
. This game is fucking hard, but I love it. He was absolutely wrecking me, it took about 10 tries before I 'got it' and took him out in two more attempts. Not bad.

You have chosen wisely.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I beat him with the amazing dodge then slash of the BoM. SO effective as it seems to home in on him every time even when he has disappeared. Plus I don't think he heals forever. It took a long patient while to kill him but it was one of the most fun and tense fights in the game for me.
Well, beating him is my only way to get the BoM, so... lol

If he doesn't heal forever then I'm I am reinvigorated and will just keep at it with the strategy I've been using. I've seen him heal 3 times, each at about 33%. If it might be just one more cycle I need to go through to win it, then it will wind up being a fun fight. It's hard not to get the impression that it will go on forever (or at least for 20 vials).

Orochinagis said:
Bring him to the stairs, fighting him in the main room was a suicide for me.
Always stun him with R1 if you see him doing a evasion to the side be prepared to use your gun or if you are using a two handed weapon use L2 or start to charge your R2, dont let him take space or he will heal/shoot you
I'll try it, it's hard to imagine how the stairs will make it easier but I guess it'll make it harder for him to shoot me with that damn double bullet.

I can hit him easily at ludicrous range with R1 (threaded cane) so playing keepaway is pretty straightforward. The real problem is that my default distance from him just puts him in easy position to heal.

Top Bottom