• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Just got to the end of Lower Pthumerian Layer 3, the boss is... well you know :)

These are starting to get more challenging now, might engage in co-op for the rest of them. Does it work the same way? I create the Chalice Dungeon I want to play ( I am just doing the standard, fixed ones), and ring the bell when I start, and players will join? Just like the normal game.

I got the Chalice that allows for co-op, but I assume that's random dungeons?

Well, platinum attained after getting last ending in NG+. Best game I've played in a very long time!

Level 149
Total hours 123 (but that's counting the hours I left the game idling)

Trakan

I think it's easier to do the Defiled Chalice solo. Anyone who helps you will get an additional 30% health decrease and can be practically one shot by anything. If they die in the boss fight, you're stuck fighting it on 2-player difficulty.

Is it worth trying to do Defiled Chalice on my own? I'm going for the plat but wow. :p

Yeah, it's not that bad. Level your HP if you have a hard time. Have you completed the main story?

Also, if you get stuck and very frustrated on a boss, take a break and come back in a few days. Not that you have a choice... the blood draws you back in.

Stillmatic

Is it worth trying to do Defiled Chalice on my own? I'm going for the plat but wow. :p

Definitely if you like to challenge yourself. It's odd, but I found Ailing Loran harder than Defiled. With defiled you just have to get familiar with the attack patterns, don't get greedy and just play cautiously. Basically the first boss is parry heaven, the last 2 bosses are 1 hit and get the fuck out.

50vit is a must though!

Can you still cheese the hunter at the end of the
Eileen quest
line or did that get patched?

I have no idea, just try to stuck him in the statues.

Just got to the end of Lower Pthumerian Layer 3, the boss is... well you know :)

These are starting to get more challenging now, might engage in co-op for the rest of them. Does it work the same way? I create the Chalice Dungeon I want to play ( I am just doing the standard, fixed ones), and ring the bell when I start, and players will join? Just like the normal game.

I got the Chalice that allows for co-op, but I assume that's random dungeons?

Nope, its worse, you need to share your glyph code to someone to join you, that person have to meet the requirements to enter the chalice (not sure if the materials too)then he/she would help you reach the layer boss then that person will be kicked after the boss,then that person have to beat the same boss of his/her own or summon you. both proceed to the next layer and summon him again for the next boss, repeat till you finish the chalice.

Not sure if that mechanic was fixed to be more simple to handle

spliced

Nightmare Fronteir
is an extremely well designed area. All of the enemies should be new to you at that point. There is a
patches
moment which is great for long time Souls fans. There is a great innovative short cut half way through the level that I don't remember being done in Souls games before. The boss is actually fun to fight as well. To even remotely compare it to Lost Izalith is just mind-boggling to me. Izalith is one of the worst area in any Souls game and pretty much set the tone for Dark Souls 2. I just can't see any comparison to the
Nightmare Frontier
. Expand if you want as I'm genuinely interested in why you think it's close to that shower of shit.

Lecture Building
isn't even really an area tbh. It's just lore based pathways to the
Nightmare
. There is no unpleasant mechanics in the area and it was just intriguing to actually be in a
school of some sort

Upper Cathedral Ward
is arguably one of the most tense, scariest areas in any souls game. Can't really find any fault with it. Maybe it's a bit short but it is completely optional and is supposed to be generally hidden from most first time players.

4. I guess the enemies in
Cainhurst
aren't inherently terrifying but I feel that's the whole point of it. You're supposed to feel sorry for them considering they are
always crying

5. I have no idea what you expected this game to be... Most of us were expecting a faster Souls game in a Victorian London setting. We got that and then some. What else do you want?

1. I don't like the level design at all with all the little statue things covering the place, moving around and keeping track of where you're going and where you've been is a headache. It makes it a pain to explore which is what I enjoy doing when getting to new levels. It's also really ugly which doesn't help. The brain guys are about on par with dragon butts as some of the worst enemies in the series, fortunately there is a lot less here. Then to add
poison slow movement water
on top is just too much. The boss is really fun, I do agree there.

3. The only thing interesting before the bosses in
UCW
was the
chandelier smashing.
It's this door I got to
much earlier
in the game and I'm excited to see what's behind it. I walk in see these lame little slug things and enemies I fought a bunch of times already. It's not that it was bad but it was disappointing, why bother locking that area off when it's mostly just more of the same.

4. I felt more sorry for my ears having to listen to that. Those enemies were just cheap New Londo Ruins ripoffs as far as I'm concerned.

5. I got something fairly close to what I expected overall, with better character control/responsiveness and worse online play.

I think it's easier to do the Defiled Chalice solo. Anyone who helps you will get an additional 30% health decrease and can be practically one shot by anything. If they die in the boss fight, you're stuck fighting it on 2-player difficulty.

Yeah, it's not that bad. Level your HP if you have a hard time. Have you completed the main story?

Also, if you get stuck and very frustrated on a boss, take a break and come back in a few days. Not that you have a choice... the blood draws you back in.

Definitely if you like to challenge yourself. It's odd, but I found Ailing Loran harder than Defiled. With defiled you just have to get familiar with the attack patterns, don't get greedy and just play cautiously. Basically the first boss is parry heaven, the last 2 bosses are 1 hit and get the fuck out.

50vit is a must though!
Alright, thanks :)

I've finished the story already and got all 3 endings (PS+), I have all of the trophies except the
Yharnham
one (and also the L
ecture Building
trophy, it didn't pop so I'll have to do a new character and get back to that point :/)

Stillmatic

I'm in!

20150512230942x3upe.jpg

Story: 50 hours | ended at lv70
Chalice Dungeons: 27 hours | ended at lv120

Favorite 'Souls' game for me! Dark Souls 1 a very close 2nd. Bloodborne DLC? Yes, please.

Need one more Red Jelly to access Ihyll, but I have to beat this asshole Abhorrent Beast in this chalice again to gain access to it.

This is the hardest boss in the game for me lol

Gonna attempt M
artyr
L
ogarius
at level 51. Wish me luck guys.

EDIT: I can already tell this isn't worth it. I need better gems.

Just wanted to add my voice to all of those still enjoying their crawl through the depths of this game. I'm not very far at all (just beat BSB) but story spoilers don't ruin a game's enjoyment for me so I know what's coming. I tend to go slow through Souls games and eventually overlevel myself but I always enjoy the journey. I'm having a lot more fun with Bloodborne from the onset than I did with DeS or DS1 (both of which I platted) and find the combat very satisfying. I'm a sucker for
cosmic horror and weird fiction
so this is right in my wheelhouse and I'm loving being able to steal away from my responsibilities for an hour or two every so often and dig a little deeper into the game. Even with TW3 coming next week, as much as I'm anticipating that game as well I know it'll be Bloodborne that I keep coming back to. For me, it's just a damn fine game.

*gets walled in Hintertomb Depth 3 Layer 2*

I just want to be able to leisurely coop with the shortroot chalice before I've already completed most of NG. :(

Defiled Amygdala still owning butt cheeks :(
How I ended up winning.

- Don't lock on. Camera is bonkers.

- Attack front limbs after it finishes swinging. Slash the head when available.

- Don't go too far away. This seems to make it jump in my experience.

- Use flaming paper

- Stay behind it during the final bits when it gains weapons. She just keep jumping away for whatever reason, and you can grind a victory out by hitting the legs.

Edit: oh yeah, have patience!

EL CUCO

Thanks ^

I'm terrible at keeping up with him when he jumps around. For some reason I always end up on the bottom of his foot.

Thanks ^

I'm terrible at keeping up with him when he jumps around. For some reason I always end up on the bottom of his foot.
Yeah, the jump is kinda weird, but I think it only jumps forward. Try rolling forward so that it ends up behind you instead of on top lol. Also, if you have the choice, try to focus on one arm. Hit the other if it presents itself of course, but you can damage one if you hit it enough, then it takes extra damage with each hit afterward for a while.

Always hit the head though, if possible.

EL CUCO

I GOT HIM!!!

FINALLY I CAN LEAVE THIS GOD FORSAKEN DUNGEON.

y5tShK4.jpg

Thanks for the help, Abstract. If it wasn't for your post, I probably would've quit tonight (2nd night trying)

I have no idea, just try to stuck him in the statues.

Nope, its worse, you need to share your glyph code to someone to join you, that person have to meet the requirements to enter the chalice (not sure if the materials too)then he/she would help you reach the layer boss then that person will be kicked after the boss,then that person have to beat the same boss of his/her own or summon you. both proceed to the next layer and summon him again for the next boss, repeat till you finish the chalice.

Not sure if that mechanic was fixed to be more simple to handle

WAT. It doesn't count as both people completing it?

Also, I sat there for ages with the bell ringing, waiting for someone (like in the normal game). That's annoying and really stupid.

Are the Chalice Dungeons all soloable. or do they get too tough?

I've gone through the entire game, plus all chalice dungeons up to the last one solo. Two bosses left, and I'm not planning on going the coop route, though at times the game makes you want to. Then you correct your mistakes and learn, and wonder why you had a hard time to begin with.

Everything is doable alone, so long as you can take the frustration of learning an enemy/boss.

They are all soloable, the pthumeru chalices are the only ones that you could get a difficulty spike if you try to enter them a bit too early. The harder pthumeru chalices and the other chalice types all require certain materials found later in the game so you shouldn't be accessing them underleveled.

Also as abstract says, some of the bosses can be tough but it's not like they will one-shot you
until Defiled Chalice
so you can learn how to beat them.

damn I know I should be playing this by now but I think I'll hold out for one more performance patch
What types of other issues would like to see ironed out? I haven't noticed much of anything since the last patch outside of slowdown when magic is all over the screen.

I'm offline though, so I have no idea what's going on with multuplayer and whatnot.

Cheers guys.

I am actually at the end of the game now, I just hit lv 95 so a little over-leveled for the early dungeons. So far, I've done

Pthumeru
Pthumeru Mid
Hintertomb (all)
Pthumeru Lower

I just got to Layer 3 of Pthumeru Lower, I am at the boss :)

It has recently started to get more challenging, but it's actually quite nice again and feels like the start of the game when you're low level etc.

I've read about the cusrsed (?) dungeons where you have half-health. They must be tough, no?

Makes you realize just how much you used your health as a safety net sitting certain moments, like rushing in to finish an enemy while taking a few hits. Can't really do that in there.

Makes you realize just how much you used your health as a safety net sitting certain moments, like rushing in to finish an enemy while taking a few hits. Can't really do that in there.

:D It definitely makes you lazy with parrying, which is weird as it's such a satisfying feeling when you nail it and you get the bass sound and then rip them to pieces with a visceral.

I love the Holy Blade, but using it 2-handed obviously means you can't use a weapon for stun-locking. Tempted to try out something else, but it's +10 now.

Are there other Blood Rocks in the chalice dungeons? I've got the one from the main game, but I read they appeared in the dungeons too?

I love the Holy Blade, but using it 2-handed obviously means you can't use a weapon for stun-locking. Tempted to try out something else, but it's +10 now.

Are there other Blood Rocks in the chalice dungeons? I've got the one from the main game, but I read they appeared in the dungeons too?

The Holy blade L2 is quite effective for stunning larger foes I find, though it's verticalness decreases it's use against mutiple foes. It will knock the fat guys in the dungeons off balance so i use it on the gun version of them.

You can get blood rocks in dungeons, but I've read about some weird rules for how many you can get per dungeon type over x period of time?

Was fighting Ebrietas. She had like 3% health left, so I went to charge up at R2 attack and finish it, and she went to shoot a beam attack. I landed the blow, she died, but then the beam shot from the grave, and well...

Was fighting Ebrietas. She had like 3% health left, so I went to charge up at R2 attack and finish it, and she went to shoot a beam attack. I landed the blow, she died, but then the beam shot from the grave, and well...

Hmm, it shows you as earning the chalice, so upon revival she may still be dead?

nOoblet16

can someone help me kill Ebrietas ? I'm a casual :/

Also, seems like I missed the second lamp in Mensis, fuck me now I have to run past all those bag of nopes (spiders, belly worms) once again. I did a huge mistake at the start of the game focusing on Dex because when I got the canon I started putting points into Str and basically since them I've falling short on either health or stamina. The canon isn't even that good at this point in the game with just 31 Str, and you can only fire 2 shots now compared to the 3 before the patch.

Oh ok...I will ring again now.

Those laser beams are too much, stun me and just take my entire health.

When you see her do the sort of ripples in the air, be ready to zoom out and run in a long straight line so they don't hit you. The other person can try to attack then. We're close, should have it soon.

Now it was her turn to wreck me. haha. Yeah she can be tough.

nOoblet16

When you see her do the sort of ripples in the air, be ready to zoom out and run in a long straight line so they don't hit you. The other person can try to attack then. We're close, should have it soon.

Now it was her turn to wreck me. haha. Yeah she can be tough.

She turns fast and has those swipe attacks that hit you many times.

Top Bottom