• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

I'm level 89 with the following stats:

Vit 44
End 25
Str 30
Skl 22
Btg 9
Arc 9

HoW should I level up further? Get vitality to 50 first, or build up on str/skl?

I mainly use Ludwig's holy blade and alt hunter axe.

Current hp is 1405 and atk is 470.

big_z

Slaughtered the H
eadless
B
uttletting
B
east
on the 3rd try.

I've seen some disturbing stuff in Bloodborne, but none more disturbing than the camera during that fight.
https://youtu.be/gZ5VLgCDmTo

ya the camera let me down a number of times during that fight. getting stuck under the legs near a wall is a death sentence.

I don't understand why people don't R2 the beast when it does the blood shooting attack. It opens him up to a visceral attack almost every time.

I'm level 89 with the following stats:

Vit 44
End 25
Str 30
Skl 22
Btg 9
Arc 9

HoW should I level up further? Get vitality to 50 first, or build up on str/skl?

I mainly use Ludwig's holy blade and alt hunter axe.

Current hp is 1405 and atk is 470.

I'd say go for str/skl. 44 vit is high enough for the first playthrough and with a couple of health runes you'd be set for Defiled chalice.

Melchiah

Need a little help, input and suggestions with
Ebrietas

I tried her solo about 6-7 times and once had her down to just about 15-20% health when she smacked me and laser tagged me back-to-back. The other times I just got smacked around before dealing much damage. I get near but end up being bottled up in the front with no place to move.

What Armor do I really need against her....more Frenzy, more Arcane, Physical, Blood or what?

I'm using a Holy Blade +9 with Fire Gems (9% and 10%). Should I go with Phy. & Arcane w/Bolt Paper or keeping the Fire Gems ok? I have a Tonitrus but it's only +6 and the Axe at +8. I have just one Bolt Gem.

I used runes that gave frenzy and arcane defense, and equipped my weapon with gem that had additional 14.5% kin damage.as for gear, I used the crow one.

EDIT: I think it's better to increase the physical damage of the weapons. I had 18% and 9% physical dmg increasing gems, IIRC.

I only use my gun for parrying, and that's only against the occasional boss seeing I usually use Ludwig's in greatsword form, and I have no points spent in bloodtinge, so is there any reason for me to switch from my Hunter Pistol I started with?

I'm in NG+ now so I thought it might be a question worth asking >_>

Also, as far as stats go, I'm sitting on:

Vitality: 40
Endurance: 25
Strength: 30
Skill: 27
Bloodtinge: 9
Arcane: 8

I'm working on slowly getting Str/Skl to 50, seems the best choice.

Endurance seems like a waste to me, extra stamina doesn't seem to help much seeing how slowly it fills back up, the bar only gets half-full before I'm forced to attack or dodge most of the time.
Vitality I'd like to get to 50 but I'm comfortable where it is for now, so that can wait.
Bloodtinge seems useless unless you build your character around it.
Arcane I'd like to level to play with the hunter tools, but that seems more a fun little side thing so I don't want to seriously invest in it on my main character.

Zocano

I only use my gun for parrying, and that's only against the occasional boss seeing I usually use Ludwig's in greatsword form, and I have no points spent in bloodtinge, so is there any reason for me to switch from my Hunter Pistol I started with?

There's no reason to switch from the hunter pistol if you're not planning to up bloodtinge. Ludwig's Rifle and the Blunderbuss are useful to a degree but having a good ranged parry sort of out weighs the shotguns.

Just keep upping your main damage until 50 where really strict scaling caps are and then just dump points into whatever you want.

chunk3rvd

Haven't seen much discussion about how handy the Short Ritual Root Chalice can be so I was quite surprised when I started playing round with it to do some co-op last night. It seems to have 2 really interesting benefits:

1. Whenever you're summoned to help someone and you beat the dungeon boss together you get a really high-level gem for your weapons. Within 15 minutes I unlocked the "acquire a very rare blood gem" trophy and shortly after that I got two level 18 gems. Didn't even realise they went that high!

2. Whatever dungeon you are summoned into to help someone is left on the altar afterwards for you to complete on your own. In one example, I was summoned to the final chalice dungeon to help someone fight the queen (where I died in about 10 seconds) and afterwards I could access that dungeon again. The important bit here is that creating these dungeons requires no materials on your part so if you're patient and wait till you get the right one, you can get into any chalice dungeon regardless of the material requirements

Since the Short Ritual Root Chalice can be accessed as soon as you beat Blood Starved Beast, you can get access to some crazy end-game blood gems right near the start of the game in this way. Could be handy for anyone trying to do low level runs or low level PVP trolling

Out of interest, does anyone know if accessing the final dungeon in this way and beating the Queen unlocks the trophy? Could be a valid option for people struggling with the dreaded Defiled chalice dungeon to skip past it?

Ferr986

Haven't seen much discussion about how handy the Short Ritual Root Chalice can be so I was quite surprised when I started playing round with it to do some co-op last night. It seems to have 2 really interesting benefits:

1. Whenever you're summoned to help someone and you beat the dungeon boss together you get a really high-level gem for your weapons. Within 15 minutes I unlocked the "acquire a very rare blood gem" trophy and shortly after that I got two level 18 gems. Didn't even realise they went that high!

2. Whatever dungeon you are summoned into to help someone is left on the altar afterwards for you to complete on your own. In one example, I was summoned to the final chalice dungeon to help someone fight the queen (where I died in about 10 seconds) and afterwards I could access that dungeon again. The important bit here is that creating these dungeons requires no materials on your part so if you're patient and wait till you get the right one, you can get into any chalice dungeon regardless of the material requirements

Since the Short Ritual Root Chalice can be accessed as soon as you beat Blood Starved Beast, you can get access to some crazy end-game blood gems right near the start of the game in this way. Could be handy for anyone trying to do low level runs or low level PVP trolling

Out of interest, does anyone know if accessing the final dungeon in this way and beating the Queen unlocks the trophy? Could be a valid option for people struggling with the dreaded Defiled chalice dungeon to skip past it?

You can skip Defiled if you get Ihyl in your short altar and complete it by yourself. I guess trophy also works but I don't know.

I got my thropy the regular way but with my 2nd char I got summoned directly to Ihyll using the ritual and then proceded to beat the 2nd boss to unlock the root for gem-farming.

You don't get the regular Ihyll chalice but as long as you don't delete the dungeon from your altar you're good. It's the root Ihyll the one important for gem farming anyways.

Feindflug

level up arcane, as it helps with discovery....for chunks etc.

It is already being said in this thread but the discovery stat doesn't help with getting more rare drops from the enemies, it helps with enemies dropping items more frequently. An extremely rare drop like chunks will still have the same drop rate regardless of your discovery stat. :(

I'm in NG+ now so I thought it might be a question worth asking >_>

Also, as far as stats go, I'm sitting on:

Vitality: 40
Endurance: 25
Strength: 30
Skill: 27
Bloodtinge: 9
Arcane: 8

I'm working on slowly getting Str/Skl to 50, seems the best choice.

Endurance seems like a waste to me, extra stamina doesn't seem to help much seeing how slowly it fills back up, the bar only gets half-full before I'm forced to attack or dodge most of the time.
Vitality I'd like to get to 50 but I'm comfortable where it is for now, so that can wait.
Bloodtinge seems useless unless you build your character around it.
Arcane I'd like to level to play with the hunter tools, but that seems more a fun little side thing so I don't want to seriously invest in it on my main character.
Hunter pistol has better base damage, worst scaling than Evelyn which has better scaling, worst base damage. I think until Bloodtinge level 21+ is when the Evelyn starts to out perform the hunter pistol.

Would the dmg output be enough? Then again, you would most likely also have your Evelyn to +9 if you're a blood build I guess so that would help out.

I finished the Chalices on my lv90 build with 25 skill and 40BT. Damage was fine, did some gem farming beforehand on the brains in NOM. Did some bosses with the Chikage, some with a Threaded Cane (using fire paper or bolt paper).

gunbo13

Hunter pistol has better base damage, worst scaling than Evelyn which has better scaling, worst base damage. I think until Bloodtinge level 21+ is when the Evelyn starts to out perform the hunter pistol.
Evelyn becomes extremely dangerous around 40+ especially.

So I added stats to my NG+++ caps, times also below.

(02:03) Cleric Beast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyWZGGzzUII
(01:33) Father G
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNo-OARsYMU

...Pending more tonight hopefully

Total phys armor protection = 170
Cainhurst set protection = 300
Foreign set = 150

Level : ~190
Weapon: Blade of Mercy (+18/20/20% phys up)
Body : Noble Dress
Hands : Graveguard Manchettes
Head : Gehrman's Hunter Cap
Legs : Arianna's Shoes

I'm going to get hit REALLY hard by some future bosses and enemies. 170 is basically paper defense. Somebody has to explain how Father G hit me at 17 secs. Unless this is a damn anime. I'll give him that ridiculous axe reach later on. The hardest hit he got off health wise was 30%, the worst in these caps seems to be 30-40. So even with the paper armor, I'm fearing not every boss but still most. I am even going to brave fighting Abhorrent in FB...I am not looking forward to it. Not one damn bit.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

You can skip Defiled if you get Ihyl in your short altar and complete it by yourself. I guess trophy also works but I don't know.

I got my thropy the regular way but with my 2nd char I got summoned directly to Ihyll using the ritual and then proceded to beat the 2nd boss to unlock the root for gem-farming.

You don't get the regular Ihyll chalice but as long as you don't delete the dungeon from your altar you're good. It's the root Ihyll the one important for gem farming anyways.
Oh my god, please elaborate on how to skip the Defiled Chalice? I am a bit confused. The wiki says you have to beat the Hintertomb to get access to the Short Ritual Chalice.

gunbo13

I kind of miss the "BLOODBORNE" loading screen
It was way better. Item descrips are massive downgrade.

EDIT:
Also just studied the cleric beast fight. Watched a normal first run and it appears he has about 3400-3500 health. That means my current NG+++ build would kill him in about 4 hits (381,635,1016,1395) if he is same softness.

It took me about 70 hits to kill him in NG++. If you say the average is 1000, he probably has about 70-80,000 health or more. That's more than a 20x increase in health.

chunk3rvd

Oh my god, please elaborate on how to skip the Defiled Chalice? I am a bit confused. The wiki says you have to beat the Hintertomb to get access to the Short Ritual Chalice.

You need to beat Pthumeru, the first layer and a bit of Central Pthumeru (to get Hintertomb) then beat Hintertomb and Lower Hintertomb to get the Short Ritual Chalice. They're all incredibly easy dungeons

After that it's just luck - trying for random co-op and hoping you can get summoned into the Ihyll Chalice

gunbo13

Father G's health goes from 1600-1700 first run to 32000-33000 in NG+++. 20x increase. He wouldn't survive 3 high damage hits from BoM in 1st form.

But he is now...
95poNOK.png

Korosenai

I'm really thinking about making a bloodtinge build to use Chikage and Evelyn... It seems like with a 50 Bloodtinge / whatever in Skill build though that you have to use those two weapons.

gunbo13

I'm really thinking about making a bloodtinge build to use Chikage and Evelyn... It seems like with a 50 Bloodtinge / whatever in Skill build though that you have to use those two weapons.
I'm thinking my next build is reiterpallasch / rifle spear bloodtinge + evelyn. I have about 42 bloodtinge right now I think. I'm just going to keep pumping that up to 50+.

EDIT:
Maybe try ludwig's rifle.
Any tips for headless bloodletting beast? His hitboxes are a joke...
Don't square up to him in second form. In all forms find openings/timings to roll under his attacks, then attack underneath. Then roll away when he kicks up again. Don't use lock-on.

GeeTeeCee

My incredibly slow playthrough took me to the N
ightmare
F
rontier
today. A
mygdala
hits hard but wasn't much of a problem to take down, which was a relief after the eight attempts it took me to beat E
brietas
(which at this point is the only boss who took me more than two attempts to down).

Had my first taste of forced PvP against a Chikage/Evelyn user. I wasn't in the mood for multiplayer, so as soon as they healed during the fight I chose to hit them with a numbing mist before promptly dispatching them with my Ludwig. Not very sporting of me, but I've never liked the invasion mechanic in Souls games when I'm trying to explore a zone.

I'd say go for str/skl. 44 vit is high enough for the first playthrough and with a couple of health runes you'd be set for Defiled chalice.

Thanks, I'll keep on investing in str and skill till I finish I game (I'm at Nightmare of Mensis), then move to Vit.

This is bad advice. You're better off equipping the much stronger Drop Rate Runes when you need to.

It is already being said in this thread but the discovery stat doesn't help with getting more rare drops from the enemies, it helps with enemies dropping items more frequently. An extremely rare drop like chunks will still have the same drop rate regardless of your discovery stat. :(

Yeah that's why I find investing in arcane useless for my build. I had a rune, eye I think, that increased my discovery from 103 to 163. All I found was that I was getting more blood vials, qs bullets and blood stone shards, nothing else.

Anung

Un Rama
I'm making my way through Challice Dungeons now so I can get the platinum trophy. I'm doing the Defiled Challice now and obviously being at half health is crap but I managed to one shot the first boss. But my god this Watchdog of the old lords boss fight is making me so angry I'm shaking. I've got him to his name twice and been one shot killed both times.

This is the only time in this games run that has made me rage.

People, embrace the Defiled Chalice and the other tricky parts. You will feel like a god afterwards and level up your personal skill immensely. You will just breeze through the main game afterwards. Went through them twice now, once in co-op and once alone.

Skipping them seems stupid to me, also don't you miss out on a Root Chalice that you need to get some of the best gems/runes in the game?

People thinking about the Chikage... It's a fun weapon that hits very hard, but it does not have the best move set and stun lock. Also people will automatically hate you due to the Evelyn. ;)

People, embrace the Defiled Chalice and the other tricky parts. You will feel like a god afterwards and level up your personal skill immensely. You will just breeze through the main game afterwards. Went through them twice now, once in co-op and once alone.

Skipping them seems stupid to me, also don't you miss out on a Root Chalice that you need to get some of the best gems/runes in the game?

People thinking about the Chikage... It's a fun weapon that hits very hard, but it does not have the best move set and stun lock. Also people will automatically hate you due to the Evelyn. ;)

By the time you complete the Defiled Chalice, you've already done what you would want the best gems for, unless you are planning on building a very optimized PVP character.

By the time you complete the Defiled Chalice, you've already done what you would want the best gems for, unless you are planning on building a very optimized PVP character.

Not necessarily, you can do most Chalices pretty early if you want. And yes, those runes/gems are only for people who are serious about optimizing their build. I wouldn't want to pass on stamina+20%, 30% damage gems, etc.

Edit: "Breezing through the main game" was more in reference to making new builds later.

Anung

Un Rama
Anyone around the 170 level want to help me and my friend with this stupid boss? Basically just need another damage dealer aggro taker.

Not necessarily, you can do most Chalices pretty early if you want. And yes, those runes/gems are only for people who are serious about optimizing their build. I wouldn't want to pass on stamina+20%, 30% damage gems, etc.

I've been trying to do chalices early on my current character. It's a lot harder than you would think.

And again, once you complete the Defiled dungeon, you just have one more Chalice you need to do to complete the main ones, and it's easier than the Defiled chalice, and chances are you've already done most of the main game or are in NG+ (if you're still in NG, then you don't need the best gems to be incredibly strong for the end bosses).

I can see the gems as valuable if you are a PVP player or you want to climb to the highest NG difficulty, but if you're just going for the plat and want to eventually start a new character, they're not necessary.

I nearly beat him by myself but he managed to tag me with his bullshit lunge attack. It felt like having a second character gave me more room to breath.

I think this can only work if both players know the fight well already. It's hard to properly learn the boss in co-op and Hot Dog will punish you for that. Also aren't you stuck with the boss having higher health when your partner dies? (I am not sure about that). Well, key to this fight is dodging and punishing his left/right swing attacks properly. Also you need to learn how he telegraphs his charge attack. And finally, always punish his lava attack hard without getting greedy. Generally you always wanna stay in front of him with enough distance to not get caught by his biting attack. Move in when he is doing something punishable.

Oh, and if you have a cannon/Evelyn you can try to cheese him a bit with Bonemarrow Ash towards the end. This works for most bosses.

I've been trying to do chalices early on my current character. It's a lot harder than you would think.

And again, once you complete the Defiled dungeon, you just have one more Chalice you need to do to complete the main ones, and it's easier than the Defiled chalice, and chances are you've already done most of the main game or are in NG+ (if you're still in NG, then you don't need the best gems to be incredibly strong for the end bosses).

I can see the gems as valuable if you are a PVP player or you want to climb to the highest NG difficulty, but if you're just going for the plat and want to eventually start a new character, they're not necessary.

Yup, it's tough but fun. Indeed I mostly did it for PvP on my second character. My max level on completion was 90 which is not very low when I see other people.

Anung

Un Rama
I think this can only work if both players know the fight well already. It's hard to properly learn the boss in co-op and Hot Dog will punish you for that. Also aren't you stuck with the boss having higher health when your partner dies? (I am not sure about that). Well, key to this fight is dodging and punishing his left/right swing attacks properly. Also you need to learn how he telegraphs his charge attack. And finally, always punish his lava attack hard without getting greedy. Generally you always wanna stay in front of him with enough distance to not get caught by his biting attack. Move in when he is doing something punishable.

Oh, and if you have a cannon/Evelyn you can try to cheese him a bit with Bonemarrow Ash towards the end. This works for most bosses.

I basically kick his arse until he hits that third phase when he starts being more aggressive and using more attacks. This last time he done a charge attack (which i dodged) but then swung his head the way I dodged killing me instantly.

Ferr986

You need to beat Pthumeru, the first layer and a bit of Central Pthumeru (to get Hintertomb) then beat Hintertomb and Lower Hintertomb to get the Short Ritual Chalice. They're all incredibly easy dungeons

After that it's just luck - trying for random co-op and hoping you can get summoned into the Ihyll Chalice

This, or get someone to summon you into ihyl using co-op passwords. Pass works with the altar too.

The good root for gem farming is the Ihyll one, and you get it on standard Ihyll. You don't need Defiled to get it.

Anyways, I agree on doing Defiled for your first char and trophy run, it's part of the experience IMO. But for subsequent PvP builds? I don't see it that bad. The standard chalice grindind gets old when you're doing multiple PvP builds

This, or get someone to summon you into ihyl using co-op passwords. Pass works with the altar too.

The good root for gem farming is the Ihyll one, and you get it on standard Ihyll. You don't need Defiled to get it.

Anyways, I agree on doing Defiled for your first char and trophy run, it's part of the experience IMO. But for subsequent PvP builds? I don't see it that bad. The standard chalice grindind gets old when you're doing multiple PvP builds

True, Defiled Root is mostly good for some weapons (Uncanny Chikage, etc.)

Ihyll and Lower Loran have the best stuff.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

I have met my wits end in terms of patience for this game. I will not go through the defiled chalice if I do not have to.
I am frustrated beyond belief with my inability to master the dodge mechanics and get cheesed due to getting my ass handed to me by the camera.

In short I will avoid the defiled chalice if all possible and will do it with 100% no shame.

Korosenai

I'm thinking my next build is reiterpallasch / rifle spear bloodtinge + evelyn. I have about 42 bloodtinge right now I think. I'm just going to keep pumping that up to 50+.

Yeah, I forgot about those. I think i'm going to go 50 bloodtinge, and then maybe 40 skill.

Ferr986

I have met my wits end in terms of patience for this game. I will not go through the defiled chalice if I do not have to.
I am frustrated beyond belief with my inability to master the dodge mechanics and get cheesed due to getting my ass handed to me by the camera.

In short I will avoid the defiled chalice if all possible and will do it with 100% no shame.

If you're using lock-on, don't. It fucks everything with big bosses.

Other than that, atleast for me, Defiled Dog was just about completely learning his movements. It took me more than a day lol but I reached the moment when you know his movement and know exactly when and where to dodge.

Minamu

I feel a bit dumb for asking but I'm not sure where to go in ng+ xD I just got to Cathedral Ward (can't help with summoning for somereason either), and I don't want to upset Djura. Should I just buy the Key and skip Old Yharnam for now? I wanted to do the Hemwick in daylight this time around and manage all the quests in the Ward before moving on.

Top Bottom