• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, it's been a few days now and I'm still thinking about the final two battles in the game (particularly the first of them).

I can't recall a boss fight that satisfying in a long time. I suppose the boss itself was nothing out of the ordinary but the way it's setup is just so wonderful. The scenery, the swelling music, and the fast pace was just remarkably awesome. I finished it on my first attempt and had no idea what was coming either so it felt wonderful when I was victorious.

It's odd, but I often feel dread or annoyance with boss fights in modern games, but the bosses in Bloodborne were so much fun. Way more fun than any Souls game for myself simply due to the much faster pace.

Ferr986

Man, it's been a few days now and I'm still thinking about the final two battles in the game (particularly the first of them).

I can't recall a boss fight that satisfying in a long time. I suppose the boss itself was nothing out of the ordinary but the way it's setup is just so wonderful. The scenery, the swelling music, and the fast pace was just remarkably awesome. I finished it on my first attempt and had no idea what was coming either so it felt wonderful when I was victorious.

It's odd, but I often feel dread or annoyance with boss fights in modern games, but the bosses in Bloodborne were so much fun. Way more fun than any Souls game for myself simply due to the much faster pace.

Indeed. It's like Dark Souls 1 final boss, although the scenery of BB's one is better. Beautiful battle, and not just because it's a good boss gameplay-wise.

Would anyone be available to help me in the defiled chalice dungeon? I've been banging my head against the 2nd boss for hours now. I'm level 107 if that matters.

If not, can someone point me somewhere to easily get coop help?

squidyj

So.... I know this isn't exactly legit but I'd kind of like to be able to edit my save file to give myself certain blood gems at this point. Reloading and reloading saves, or re-opening the same chalice over and over again to try to get 27.2 radial with stamina and 27.2 with kin/beast (for pvp) is just.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. It's not like layer 1 brainsucker or merciless watchers are challenging fights, even in FRC dungeons.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm on NG+++. The main game is easy compared this bullshit.
Yup. I did the chalice dungeons partially into NG+ and I was already breezing through, but after I was done with them, the rest of NG+ and NG++ were going smooth as butter, haha. I imagine NG+++ isn't that much harder.

Anyone around the 170 level want to help me and my friend with this stupid boss? Basically just need another damage dealer aggro taker.
I know you already beat him but I think my character is in range so I can help with Amgydala or whatever, if you ever want it.

Also LOL @ "hot dog", how did I never think of that?

EL CUCO

Fighting the Pthumerian Q
ueen
tricky tricky

Edit: can confirm, coop'ing will unlock the trophy even if you're helping someone in their game.

Anung

Un Rama
Just one shotted Amygdala. That was such a piece of piss compared to the Watchdog fight. Ihyll challice here I come.

gunbo13

Just one shotted Amygdala. That was such a piece of piss compared to the Watchdog fight. Ihyll challice here I come.
If I could just leave a slight mark to halt the incorrect usage of this term, I would be a happy fella. Kidding...a little.

Just beat NG+++ Amelia on my weak armor run. She was a pain. Tried my damnedest to get her down as fast as possible. Which lead to me looking like I'm potion spamming like a scrub. But if you get the battle, you'd know why this is the case being super aggressive. Not going to spam the thread so no link for now. She went down in about 03:18, even getting a little healing off unfortunately. She has a metric 200 tons of health.

This paper armor will be the death of my mind.

Just tried Micolash and killed him on my first solo try. Attempted to help someone else once before and he died to him in the 2nd phase. Solo that felt so much easier.

BTW, I decided to get lost after I killed him and ran back all the way to where the bridge went up and fell to my death on accident. Am I screwed now?

Finally slayed Bloodletting Beast of the chalice variety. Pretty bullshit, mostly because of the camera that was incredibly terrible due to the walls, amongst other things. Also, fighting him with the kirk hammer is quite the challenge compared to the other weapons that have better reach for more Visceral attack opportunities. Camera gets shit as well since I have to get closer to hit him, which results in it spinning out of control at times. Poorly designed fight.

Oh well, it's over and the bitch is dead. Now for the queen. Tried once, and it seems like a battle of patience and picking your shots. I'll tackle her tomorrow.

Just tried Micolash and killed him on my first solo try. Attempted to help someone else once before and he died to him in the 2nd phase. Solo that felt so much easier.

BTW, I decided to get lost after I killed him and ran back all the way to where the bridge went up and fell to my death on accident. Am I screwed now?
I believe there is a cage elevator that will bring you back to the top near the lantern.

I believe so. Well, I know there is, but I'm not sure if it activates upon his death, or by you stepping into it.

gunbo13

(02:03) Cleric Beast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyWZGGzzUII
(01:33) Father G
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNo-OARsYMU
(03:17) Vicar Amelia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkN-7HESrQk
(03:32) Witch of Henwick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjVUOGefawg

Done for now. I'm going to avoid FB next and take out BSB. Then maybe Paarl. Then go for a brisk walk. Then travel around the world. Then forget where FB is so I don't ever have to go there again.

Do not watch henwick unless you are trying to fall asleep and can't. I wanted to make these videos have good tips in them but the Amelia one has a disclaimer of don't do that. Unless you enjoy lamps.

UrbanRats

Finally defeated E
brietas
(took me 5 tries) and proceeded to tie loose ends and finish the game, got the
"secret"
finale.

Gonna write some quick wrap up thoughts on the game now, i'll try to keep spoilers at a minimum, but obviously don't go highlighting them, if you didn't finish the game.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
What i liked:

- The setting: Much more interesting and peculiar than previous Soul games, and the visceral, gruesome thematics, really blended well with the various Souls design trappings.

- The cohesiveness: This was mostly a problem with Dark Souls 2, where stylistically areas seemed thought in an afternoon and slapped together by a blind man, but even the final part of Dark Souls 1 had this problem to a degree; Bloodborne feels, for the most part, incredibly cohesive and lived in, going from an area to the next always makes sense, and it stylistically all fits together, and every room is just filled with details and objects and stuff.

- Trick weapons: Just a genius idea, that gives every weapon much more personality than any other game in the series.

- Bosses were (for the most part) varied and well thought out: There were a couple of outliers (W
itch
, O
ne Reborn
) but for the most part, i thought all of the bosses were peculiar, aggressive, and with an unpredictable move set and amazing animations, on top of that, it felt like every boss was significant, and never dropped in to be filler (coff coff, Dark Souls 2).
Some of them felt rehashes of the past, but no big deal.

- Enemy variety: Similarly, the enemies were also very varied in attack patterns and behavior, always keeping you interested in whatever the fuck you were facing next.

- Music: After loving Demon's Souls' soundtrack a lot, i'm probably one of the few who didn't really care that much about DkS1's and DkS2's, despite having some good tracks; however many of the tracks in Bloodborne were just outstanding for me, on the level of Maiden Astrea's, even.

- The gore, and the presentation in general: Just great and gives you a sense of satisfaction, at every successful hit, that no other soul game can reach.

- More focus on the horror: It was the best element in past Souls games, and i'm happy they went away from the more high fantasy shenanigans, and doubled down on the horror aspect, infact, i wish they pushed it a little more, it felt still a little too tame for me, never really making me feel as horrified as a Silent Hill game (for example) made me feel.

- The other hunters: Despite them being glorified NPC invasions, they felt incredibly more impactful and aggravating (in a good way) in this one; i won't hide that i raged to that one guy (you know the one) like nothing else in the game, but still every encounter with them felt like an event, in a way that invasions never did, for me.

- Sound design: Despite having issues with audio mixing (more on that later) i really dug the sound design, in particular how most of the bosses felt more dramatic, with screams of pain and rage, and then there's M
icolash
.. good lord were his moans amazing, i want them as my ringtone!

What i didn't like:

- No teleport from the lamp: Either don't give me a teleport, or give me a teleport from every lamp, having to watch an extra loading screen to get somewhere, it's just stupid design.

- Limited storage for vials/bullets: Just give me unlimited vials and bullets (always capped at 20 per run, ofc) having to go farm them back after i've ran out of the 99 one in my storage (with an hard enemy, it's not that outlandish to run out of them after a bunch of tries) it's just wasting my time, it's not challenging in any compelling way, just stupid design.
DkS 1 is still the best in this case: 20 healings, no other bullshit (except humanities, but those were relatively rare).

- Frenzy, didn't find it interesting in the least, just removes your health? Ok.. i guess. Could've done something more interesting with it, since the lore idea behind it is so cool.

- Rushed content: Not sure how to describe this, but some things scream "lack of development time" to me: Load screens with just the game's name on it (patched, thankfully), portable "souls", or blood echoes, without any creative name, just numbered out, same for the Blood rituals and other objects, even some elements of the HUD, like the various on screen messages (YOU DIED and such) felt cheap and rushed, looked worse than past games; is weird, since other parts of the HUD look so good.

- (related to the above) Some parts felt unfinished/wasted: I'm mostly thinking about C
astle
C
ainhurst
here, but you get there, and at first it seems like the coolest thing ever, until it's just
a bunch of rooms with the same 3 types of lame enemies dropped in
, that area REALLY disappointed me, boss included.
I was expecting some
Bram Stocker's Dracula shit, maybe a fight in a big hall with huge curtains blowing in the wind and snowflakes coming in from the broken windows, Resident Evil 4 style...
but instead it felt like nothing interesting happened there despite, again, having a cool backstory.

- Covenants: Like, why the fuck even bother?

- Lack of good loot: Never before in a Soul game, i felt so badly rewarded for veering off the beaten path; in terms of loot there is, put simply, too little.
There are literally a handful of weapons and, even though they have a double nature, it doesn't really make up for the volume of content that was missing, especially coming from Dark Souls 2.
If you pair this with the dimishing variety in build possibility, and the fact that many of these weapons are locked behind pretty advanced story progression (you can't even get the coolest weapon until
you beat the game
) it makes it feel a far more rigid and straight forward experience than previous games.
It doesn't help that they had to sacrifice some of that loot, to put in the Chalice Dungeon.
I don't think i've found one single worthwhile gem for my weapon in the main game.

- I was hoping they would do more with the "beasthood" and your character, feels like a meaningless element/stat, despite being so crucial in the story.

- Audio mix: While the sound design itself was great, the audio mix felt incredibly annoying to me, with mundane actions having incredibly loud sounds, making it all sound like a mess, and sounds that should be prioritized, like successful parries, this time around get lost in all the chaos, like they didn't before.
Rolling or opening a door, doesn't need to sound like a jet engine.
And yes i played the game in various audio conditions.

- Auto hiding HUD: Do they even share feedback between teams at FROM? Hopefully they'll patch it in.

- Finally, the story didn't have the momentum Dark Souls 1's and Demon's Souls' had: In this sense, i felt most of the time like i was sort of going forward to play the game, not because i felt a narrative propelling me, like i did in past game (exception made for DkS2, who shared the same issue, for me) and the finale,
probably worse in the series, in the way that it just doesn't built up properly, even DkS2 did it better.. at some point it just sort of "happens".

Things i'm not sure about:

- New combat pacing: It's cool that stagger is more frequent, however i often felt like the game actively encouraged just spamming R1 to stun-lock enemies into oblivion, including a couple of major bosses.

- Chalice Dungeons: Didn't have time to go very far, so i can't say, but so far they felt just like a boring chore, more than anything else; i would've preferred a short, but well crafter "Tomb of the Gods" or alternatively a Boss Rush mode of sorts.
Running around room after room, that all look the same for hours, is fucking tedious.

- Use of music: I really think some areas they left in total silence, could've benefited from some creepy ambient music, not all areas of course, but something like H
emwick
felt needlessly silent.

------------------------
Overall, the game was amazing, and i can't wait for some DLC (which will hopefully be real content, and not Chalice bullshit).
Not sure where i'd rank it, since i already considered DkS1 and DeS on par, for different reasons, i guess BB can also get on the podium there, with DkS2 quite a few steps behind.

I'm way late in asking this, but is everyone else having their parries commonly be trades (that is, your parry succeeds, but you also take the hit you parried)? Bloodborne is the first "Souls" game where this is possible (partial parries in previous games were different enough to be a separate thing I think), and I think that's unfortunate, but I'm also amazed at how often it happens for me. The amount of warmup lag on shots is the biggest factor as far as I can tell.

Giving guns a significant warmup period (roughly a third of a second by my measurement) makes sense in a PVP context (and for NPC enemies that are capable of dodging your shots I guess), but it decimates parrying on reaction, which is supposed to be a big thing in PVE and still present in PVP. There are many attacks in this game that are verging on physically impossible to parry on reaction because of the speed of their execution, and it's not like there's not enough time to react and press the button (and even have a couple of frames left over), it's that the warmup lag forces you into ridiculously tiny timing windows if you're going to succeed without trading. It's awful, and it makes playing in a minimalist fashion (level 4, no buffs so I need the damage visceral attacks give) terribly unfun.

This has really got me down. I'm amazed they didn't think of a better solution to keep parrying intact but also make shots dodgeable. Guns as a more universal solution to parrying seemed like a stroke of genius to me pre-release, but they dropped the ball, hard.

EL CUCO

WXwJP8n.jpg
It is done. GOTG as it stands. Bring on the DLC!

If you are doing sl4 then visceral damage won't help you much anyway since it scales with level and skill.

Also once you realize that parrying is hitting an enemy when they are in active damage frames and that you can do it without being close and that there are some attacks where you shoukdn't try to begin with, you can work on your consistency and trade less often.

Anyone got a hot tip for Red Jelly farming? I need 2 more. Already got the ones in lecture hall.

There are only like 4 in the game I believe. I know two of them are in the Lower Loran Chalice(layers 2 and 3), but can't remember where the other was. At some point you can purchase it from the Insight Messanger, I believe after you do the first layer of Ihyll chalice.

Great Isz chalice dungeon has 2 in the 3rd layer

You made me realize I haven't even did this chalice yet. Forgot all about it.

UrbanRats

I'm way late in asking this, but is everyone else having their parries commonly be trades (that is, your parry succeeds, but you also take the hit you parried)? Bloodborne is the first "Souls" game where this is possible (partial parries in previous games were different enough to be a separate thing I think), and I think that's unfortunate, but I'm also amazed at how often it happens for me. The amount of warmup lag on shots is the biggest factor as far as I can tell.

Giving guns a significant warmup period (roughly a third of a second by my measurement) makes sense in a PVP context (and for NPC enemies that are capable of dodging your shots I guess), but it decimates parrying on reaction, which is supposed to be a big thing in PVE and still present in PVP. There are many attacks in this game that are verging on physically impossible to parry on reaction because of the speed of their execution, and it's not like there's not enough time to react and press the button (and even have a couple of frames left over), it's that the warmup lag forces you into ridiculously tiny timing windows if you're going to succeed without trading. It's awful, and it makes playing in a minimalist fashion (level 4, no buffs so I need the damage visceral attacks give) terribly unfun.

This has really got me down. I'm amazed they didn't think of a better solution to keep parrying intact but also make shots dodgeable. Guns as a more universal solution to parrying seemed like a stroke of genius to me pre-release, but they dropped the ball, hard.
Good point, though i always blamed the lag on going 30 from 60 (Played DkS2 and most of 1 on PC) so even with dodges, instead of being reactionary to what i see on screen, they're more predictions of when i think the enemy is likely going to attack, as in: Time frame between actions.
I assumed the same for parries, but what you described happens to me a lot, too.
Guns take a lot of time between pressing L2 and actually shooting, not sure if it changes from gun to gun, but both my blunderbuss and the Ludwig's rifle are pretty damn slow.

knitoe

There are only like 4 in the game I believe. I know two of them are in the Lower Loran Chalice(layers 2 and 3), but can't remember where the other was. At some point you can purchase it from the Insight Messanger, I believe after you do the first layer of Ihyll chalice.

You can buy unlimited jelly after creating a Ihyll dungeon.

EL CUCO

It's a cool looking Dungeon. Makes you wish you were walking around with a glowstick, instead of a torch.
______

So, that final M
oon presence boss
was giving me straight up
Mimic
vibes from
Edge of Tomorrow
. Especially with that
quick jerky movement
he has. Really freaking cool design.

If you are doing sl4 then visceral damage won't help you much anyway since it scales with level and skill.

Also once you realize that parrying is hitting an enemy when they are in active damage frames and that you can do it without being close and that there are some attacks where you shoukdn't try to begin with, you can work on your consistency and trade less often.
I'm not sure what you mean with viscerals not helping much, they definitely do in my experience. They're the biggest damage dealers I've got as a Waste of Skin.

Having attacks where you shouldn't try to begin with simply because the speed of the attack is too great is something I'm uncomfortable with, possibly just flatly opposed to. This also of course makes the attack basically impossible to dodge while in range. This forces the player into an extremely defensive style of fighting if they want to play optimally, which is terribly boring and antithetical to the game's stated goals in combat.

Parrying from a distance is also something I'm very conflicted about. I think this is something where the metaphor of a gun forced their hand, but being able to parry without putting yourself at any risk of damage just strikes me as a very bad design choice. That intense risk/reward relationship is what makes parrying interesting to begin with, and this breaks it.
Good point, though i always blamed the lag on going 30 from 60 (Played DkS2 and most of 1 on PC) so even with dodges, instead of being reactionary to what i see on screen, they're more predictions of when i think the enemy is likely going to attack, as in: Time frame between actions.
I assumed the same for parries, but what you described happens to me a lot, too.
Guns take a lot of time between pressing L2 and actually shooting, not sure if it changes from gun to gun, but both my blunderbuss and the Ludwig's rifle are pretty damn slow.

Hunter pistol raises up faster, yeah.
To answer both of you, the pistol's warmup lag is actually not less, it's at best the same as the blunderbuss. Both have about 9 frames of warmup lag before activation from the videos I've studied (I've seen instances where they seem to have slightly more or less, but this is probably due to the game's frame pacing issues making frames repeat or not appear). The pistol simply has less cooldown. This compared to Dark Souls' about 6 frames of warmup lag for most shields at 60 FPS.

Anyway, there's another big problem with parrying, and it's actually something more general I stumbled on some time ago but only clarified for myself recently. I observed what I thought was enemy reaction lag in this big post, but that's actually only a part of a larger phenomenon. Basically, hit registering in the game is FUBAR.

It's possible for the damage and the reaction from a hit to happen on the same frame, but it's also possible there will be lag. It's also possible there will be lag between the hit visibly connecting with an effect and damage registering, or not. The amount of lag differs with no pattern I can discern, with the 3 frames between damage and reaction in that post being an extreme example, but there is one ironclad rule: all three stages of a hit's effect on an enemy (hit registering, damage registering, enemy reaction) can never occur on the same frame. This means that in the best case scenario you're dealing with an extra frame of lag somewhere in that process, several frames if you're unlucky. This must be a flaw in the game's engineering, and it makes parrying in particular even more of a crapshoot. Counter-hitting becomes a roll of the dice thanks to this flaw as well. I really wonder what causes this and whether it can be fixed. If anyone has evidence of all three stages happening on the same frame, please post it. This deserves to be looked at more closely.

Dahbomb

If I could just leave a slight mark to halt the incorrect usage of this term, I would be a happy fella. Kidding...a little.
I am glad I am not the only one.

One shot should mean "killing something in one hit" not "I beat the boss on my first try".

This wasn't even a thing until the Souls series... I guess people wanted a short hand for boasting that they killed a boss the first time in a Souls game.

I'm not sure what you mean with viscerals not helping much, they definitely do in my experience. They're the biggest damage dealers I've got as a Waste of Skin.
It's more damaging early on, but I do notice it on my Arcane character where I never level skill and I am not relying on physical gems as much (which increase V Attack damage) and bosses only take about a couple of attacks worth of damage on a V. Attack.

Having attacks where you shouldn't try to begin with simply because the speed of the attack is too great is something I'm uncomfortable with, possibly just flatly opposed to.
Okay. Let me elaborate on what I was trying to say a bit.

You can parry almost any attack that is parryable.

But sometimes you're at a bigger advantage just dodging past and attacking normally if it's an enemy that is particularly easy to stagger and likes to not give you the best attack to parry (such as werewolves or K
eeper of the
O
ld
L
ord in her first phase
).

Parrying from a distance is also something I'm very conflicted about. I think this is something where the metaphor of a gun forced their hand, but being able to parry without putting yourself at any risk of damage just strikes me as a very bad design choice. That intense risk/reward relationship is what makes parrying interesting to begin with, and this breaks it.
It's not even that long of a distance. With the Hunter Pistol it's a fine distance between not trading but just barely having enough time to go in for a reposte. Enemies usually won't throw out an attack if you're too far away and even if they did and you parried it, more often than not they'll get up before you can reach them.

As for your analysis on lag, I can't say I've ever say that the frame pacing has impeded my parrying. Parrying simply makes too much sense in this game (all you have to do is get the shot off during an enemy attack's damage frames) compared to Dark Souls 2. For me parrying is a matter of if I understand an enemy's attacks well enough.

Bloodletting Beast(chalice) one-shotted me with that ghetto blaster punch against the wall. I didn't think I could be killed with one hit at this point in the game outside of Defilement, yet here I am.

It's more damaging early on, but I do notice it on my Arcane character where I never level skill and I am not relying on physical gems as much (which increase V Attack damage) and bosses only take about a couple of attacks worth of damage on a V. Attack.
I see, that makes sense. I'm sure I haven't gotten as far as you, but it's strange that viscerals diminish that far. That must be intentional, but I wonder what the thinking was behind discouraging parrying later in the game.

You can parry almost any attack that is parryable.

But sometimes you're at a bigger advantage just dodging past and attacking normally if it's an enemy that is particularly easy to stagger and likes to not give you the best attack to parry
I'm not sure if this quote was trying to argue against my point you quoted, but I want to reply. Isn't "You can parry almost any attack that is parryable" a strange statement? I want to say more on this and about the idea of parrying on prediction in a PVE context, but that's a potential ideological quagmire that I don't think I should step into lightly, so I won't, at least not yet.

Dodging being more advantageous than parrying is fine in some contexts, but it can be dangerous if it's always the case. If parrying is made too risky and dodging too attractive, parrying becomes a non factor. Stunlocking as a more advantageous option can make sense, but it should be something you need clever tactics to actually do. Mashing the light attack button to win is something the game should basically never encourage.

It's not even that long of a distance. With the Hunter Pistol it's a fine distance between not trading but just barely having enough time to go in for a reposte. Enemies usually won't throw out an attack if you're too far away and even if they did and you parried it, more often than not they'll get up before you can reach them.
There's only one instance where I see a point in being able to parry at a distance, and that's when an enemy is using a Blood Vial. In that case, you're not even taking a risk against an attack, it's a fundamentally different idea, and it's one that I find interesting, though it opens up its own can of worms. Anything else is at best really awkward and weakens that great, solid risk/reward that parrying traditionally represents. Successfully reposting an attack you parried that was out of range might not be super common, but it's definitely possible, and it's a game changer. Parrying at range encourages players to continually retreat rather than engaging them in the fight, and that's a real problem.

As for your analysis on lag, I can't say I've ever say that the frame pacing has impeded my parrying. Parrying simply makes too much sense in this game (all you have to do is get the shot off during an enemy attack's damage frames) compared to Dark Souls 2. For me parrying is a matter of if I understand an enemy's attacks well enough.
You might just be using the term in a confusing way, but the lag issues I brought up don't have anything to do with frame pacing issues; they're issues with the game's internal logic while frame pacing just affects how the end result of that logic is displayed. Frame pacing does absolutely affect one's ability to parry and play in general, but it's a separate issue from hits being processed inconsistently/with lag. You can understand an enemy's attacks down to the individual frame level, but the random lag introduced by the issue I brought up can still throw a wrench in no matter how deep your understanding is.

At the very beginning after the two werewolves on the bridge I killed an old man in a wheelchair who was targetable with R3 so I figured he was an enemy (which he might've been, I don't know). Did I mess up? He just dropped some ammo.

I'll restart if he was relevant.

UV-6

At the very beginning after the two werewolves on the bridge I killed an old man in a wheelchair who was targetable with R3 so I figured he was an enemy (which he might've been, I don't know). Did I mess up? He just dropped some ammo.

Don't worry, he's an enemy. If you go back he'll respawn just like every other enemy.

If I'm remembering correctly, it was an enemy, so no worries. Someone confirm, because I'm not 100% positive. That was like 150 hours ago.

Edit: I remembered correctly? That's a rarity.

UrbanRats

Dodging being more advantageous than parrying is fine in some contexts, but it can be dangerous if it's always the case. If parrying is made too risky and dodging too attractive, parrying becomes a non factor. Stunlocking as a more advantageous option can make sense, but it should be something you need clever tactics to actually do. Mashing the light attack button to win is something the game should basically never encourage.

I agree with this.
I think it's one of the things Bloodborne sort of encourages too much.
I mean, the one time i did beat E
brietas
, it was because i stopped trying dodging and being fancy, and just mashed R1 with boltpaper on, which basically stunlocked her into a cycle of simple attacks, preventing her to do the
1hitKO lasers
, same with the
(non secret) final boss
and D
arkbeast
P
aarl
, and a couple of others, it feels like many times just dodging one attack and spamming R1 like a moron is a very sound strategy.

I mean parrying isn't a bad option in this game, simply because you can activate it without risk of being hit (from a distance) and because the active window is so large, compared to past games, or regular action games, but i would've preferred a quicker parry, with a smaller window, and not as much emphasis on stun-locking.
Dark Souls 2 was probably the opposite (in a bad way) extreme of this, but i would like something in between.

So im level 115 or so and I hit a brick wall at the
Abhorrent
Beast in the Loran Chalice. What the hell. I can only get him down a quarter of health before he utterly destroys me

Abhorrent
Beast in the Loran Chalice. What the hell. I can only get him down a quarter of health before he utterly destroys me
Distancing plays a huge role with him. Try to side step, and attack with a few hits then immediately get out. Also, poison knives work wonders, so stock up on them. Two will poison him, and you can repeat through out the fight to have a show drip of health seep away from him while it's going on. I went through like 15 of them, but since you can't just attack him freely, it really helps.

Edit: I think I used fire paper as well. Fight him a few times without anything just to get his timing and attacks down before you blow your items.

Distancing plays a huge role with him. Try to side step, and attack with a few hits then immediately get out. Also, poison knives work wonders, so stock up on them. Two will poison him, and you can repeat through out the fight to have a show drip of health seep away from him while it's going on. I went through like 15 of them, but since you can't just attack him freely, it really helps.

Edit: I think I used fire paper as well. Fight him a few times without anything just to get his timing and attacks down before you blow your items.

He is one of the hardest bosses I've fought so far imo. His attacks are so quick and he recovers from them so fast that it's hard to get hits on him without taking damage. I'll try to figure out the timings before wasting any more items on him.

He is one of the hardest bosses I've fought so far imo. His attacks are so quick and he recovers from them so fast that it's hard to get hits on him without taking damage. I'll try to figure out the timings before wasting any more items on him.
Definitely. I had a big problem as well. Just know that you can hit his arms instead of his body, which is what you will probably be attacking half of the time since he reaches out so far when attacking. Make him pay with slashes to the arms, then back away.

Just don't get to far away. He will load up that big punch that seems to track you like a magnet, so stay within swiping distance.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Abhorrent

You can cheese him woth poison knives. Just keep your distance, roll a ton and hit him with another when the poison wears off.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Alright guys I am looking to join a game in the Ihyll Chalice dungeons so I can get my trophy beating the queen.

It's my last trophy for getting the platinum. I have not opened up the dungeon and would need to join someone who is in progress. Preferably someone who is fixing to take on the queen, but anywhere in that dungeon is fine.

Message me.

Grexeno

Alright guys I am looking to join a game in the Ihyll Chalice dungeons so I can get my trophy beating the queen.

It's my last trophy for getting the platinum. I have not opened up the dungeon and would need to join someone who is in progress. Preferably someone who is fixing to take on the queen, but anywhere in that dungeon is fine.

Message me.
You can't. You have to be on the same level in the same dungeon as the player you want to join.

Message me.
Have you at least tried it solo? She's really not so bad and the trophy will taste all the sweeter.

Top Bottom