• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

hitgirl

Not gonna lie, Watchdog is giving me some grief. Here's a video of what keeps getting me, I feel like I sidestep out of this attack but I guess I underestimate the range. Fight will be going good, then he does that out of no where and I get one shotted. That attack does so much more damage than anything else too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDsKWNrhEp4

I had to plug my controller in for this fight so far. Felt like it was too tight of a fight to deal with controller latency. It shows how good the combat is in this game though, if this was Dark Souls II I would have quit a long time ago out of frustration.

Anung

Un Rama
Platinum get! Yharnam wasn't that bad at all. She is very predictable and telegraphs everything so it only took me 3 attempts.

Auctopus

I've been having a bit of trouble with The One Reborn. Any advice on how to deal with him?

Take out the casters immediately.

I usually wait until he's done flailing and do a drop attack from the balcony then work his body a bit until he spews all over the floor then I run back up and repeat. There's less cheesy ways I'm sure.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You can't. You have to be on the same level in the same dungeon as the player you want to join.
Not true. If you unlock the short ritual chalice you can join any game of anyone who summons. You just have to get lucky and hope you get summoned for the dungeon or fight you want.

If you are summoned to a dungeon you have not unlocked that dungeon will automatically unlock. That's what happened to me.

I am doing it for the sole purpose of skipping the defiled chalice. I don't care what anyone thinks I will do everything in my power to avoid that bundle of misery.

gunbo13

I am glad I am not the only one.

One shot should mean "killing something in one hit" not "I beat the boss on my first try".

This wasn't even a thing until the Souls series... I guess people wanted a short hand for boasting that they killed a boss the first time in a Souls game.
Apparently I have been told that it is a WoW or earlier MMO usage. Which to me doesn't make it any better since MMO's don't have actual one shots, action games do. So people either took the action term, misused it, or took the MMO term, misused it.

The parrying convo is an interesting one. One I didn't even think to bring up yet. I unfortunately have to run but there are a number of things to breakdown. First, is whether BB is polling at 30 or 60. My gut is 30. Second, whether there is any outside lag, TVs, controller, etc.. that is affecting the parry success or causing trades. Third, whether the player is just slow at them. If you have ever tried doing perfect frame RG in DMC, you know that it isn't just about reacting. It's part predicting and part reacting on early frame, like very early frames.

I would like to test this out more. I have a low lag TV but play wireless. The only annoyance is that some attacks don't seem to be parryable, which is time wasted. I'll probably elaborate further but my initial thought reading this is that the system is not unfair. Even if there is a bit of unfairness, it is minimal.

zma1013

Not true. If you unlock the short ritual chalice you can join any game of anyone who summons. You just have to get lucky and hope you get summoned for the dungeon or fight you want.

If you are summoned to a dungeon you have not unlocked that dungeon will automatically unlock. That's what happened to me.

I am doing it for the sole purpose of skipping the defiled chalice. I don't care what anyone thinks I will do everything in my power to avoid that bundle of misery.

I've tried using the Short Ritual Chalice thing several times, let it search and search and search for 20 or 30 minutes at a time, couldn't find anyone because nobody is running around in the dungeons with their Beckoning bells on. The only time that is happening is when they absolutely know there is going to be a person in the one they are in, as in, they've invited a friend to it. It's basically a useless feature to me.

On the flip side, I've tried running around in dungeons I've had open to public with my Beckoning bell on and I get nobody. I don't think many people are using the Short Ritual Chalice much either.

Take out the casters immediately.

I usually wait until he's done flailing and do a drop attack from the balcony then work his body a bit until he spews all over the floor then I run back up and repeat. There's less cheesy ways I'm sure.

Read his tells, and be aggressive. It's gonna hit you, but once you stun it once, the fight is pretty much over.

Bolt paper and beast blood pallets make short work of it.
Thanks for the advice, I finally beat him.

Minamu

Alright guys I am looking to join a game in the Ihyll Chalice dungeons so I can get my trophy beating the queen.

It's my last trophy for getting the platinum. I have not opened up the dungeon and would need to join someone who is in progress. Preferably someone who is fixing to take on the queen, but anywhere in that dungeon is fine.

Message me.
She's one of the easiest bosses in the entire game for sure. Witches of Hemwick gave me a bigger scare.

myco666

Because I want to beat the Ptumenian Queen.

I recognize you as the dude who called people cheaters who used the backup save to USB to see all three endings in one playthrough. I seriously doubt I will care what you think.

Defiled Chalice isn't that bad and you can coop through the bosses to make it easier.

I can't believe how bad cooping in this game is.

Is there anyone who can assist me in defiled chalice Lvl 117?

If you still need help I can help. I don't have the short root chalice IIRC so I have to beat the Keeper before I can assist but shouldn't take too long.

Auctopus

If you still need help I can help. I don't have the short root chalice IIRC so I have to beat the Keeper before I can assist but shouldn't take too long.

I'm past it now thanks.

I'm on Worm head blood-letting beast and though I'm not struggling with him too bad, getting him to about 1/4 health, I totally agree with the sentiment that this encounter is badly designed. I don't think FROM totally thought through putting him in the cave, I'm fighting the controls more often than him.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So far with using the short ritual chalice I've been summoned to weird dungeons. All have been Ihyll Pthumeru but with the sinister or rotted designation. None of the basic ones. Lol

Because I want to beat the Ptumenian Queen.

I recognize you as the dude who called people cheaters who used the backup save to USB to see all three endings in one playthrough. I seriously doubt I will care what you think.
You already stated you don't care what anyone thinks. I want to know what you think.

Just curious, but is there anyway you can post your build? I'm working on a bloodtinge build and need some ideas.

I am using a hybrid of 25Skill and 50BT. If you wanna go pure BT, put less in Skill, but it will not make PvE easy and you will be very reliant on the buff.
Arcane and Strength as low as possible. Also keep in mind that Vit is more important than stamina in this game.

edit: This is a Chikage only build, does not apply to Reiterpallasch.

should I be raising discovery at lvl 55? how do I even do that?

You can safely ignore it. There are runes that increase discovery if you need it. But it's really not an important stat.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I finally joined a game where someone was going through the Pthumeru Ihyll and now I have that dungeon unlocked!

Screw you Defiled Chalice!

Man I feel like I made a mistake going Cruel Fate origin. Is there any use for the Arcane stat? Else I'll just restart. Haven't played that much anyways. If I wanna go for a max/min build, which origin would be the best?

edit: Maybe Cruel Fate ain't that bad with Burial Blade?

edit2: Some people say that 15 arcane is really good for some spell or something. If 15 arcane was actually recommended, Cruel Fate would be the best min/max origin, right?

L33T

Banned
After three playthroughs and a heck load of boss fights, I can finally say I'm proud of myself.
c80f70b1aaff25df47c9688fe99056b3.png

Man I feel like I made a mistake going Cruel Fate origin. Is there any use for the Arcane stat? Else I'll just restart. Haven't played that much anyways. If I wanna go for a max/min build, which origin would be the best?

edit2: Some people say that 15 arcane is really good for some spell or something. If 15 arcane was actually recommended, Cruel Fate would be the best min/max origin, right?
Burial Blade is butt at doing arcane damage and it comes far too late to be a useful weapon.

15 arcane just lets you use some utility hunter tools that don't do damage. No min-maxing involved there.

I do recommend restarting, as Arcane builds are better suited for players that have already completed the game and understand how to use the stat.

myco666

Arcane is for spells and elemental weapons. You can turn every weapon to elemental weapon with gems but doing that will remove(?) physical damage scaling. 15 Arcane is also good since you get a decent spell to use and some weapons have Arcane requirements. Best start for min/max is Waste of Skin like Deprived in Souls games. Unless you know what you are going for.

Korosenai

I am using a hybrid of 25Skill and 50BT. If you wanna go pure BT, put less in Skill, but it will not make PvE easy and you will be very reliant on the buff.
Arcane and Strength as low as possible. Also keep in mind that Vit is more important than stamina in this game.

edit: This is a Chikage only build, does not apply to Reiterpallasch.

You can safely ignore it. There are runes that increase discovery if you need it. But it's really not an important stat.
What do you suggest then? 50 vit, 25-30 end?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Odd, I got the Pthumeru Ihyll and the first boss was bloodletting beast. I thought it was supposed to be the Pthumeru descendant.

What do you suggest then? 50 vit, 25-30 end?

I'm doing a bloodtinge build and going for this at lvl 100:

Vit 47
End 20
Strength 11 (either that or 1 point too much in arcane)
Skill 25
Bloodting 40
Arcane 7

Can't reach 50 blood at lvl100 without sacrificing too much Vit (or skill).

Well, I just beat Darkbeast Paarl. What a punk. I expected more from it after I first saw it, only for it to be my easiest boss so far. It's one of two bosses I beat on my first try, with the other being Cleric Beast.

I'm past it now thanks.

I'm on Worm head blood-letting beast and though I'm not struggling with him too bad, getting him to about 1/4 health, I totally agree with the sentiment that this encounter is badly designed. I don't think FROM totally thought through putting him in the cave, I'm fighting the controls more often than him.
I thought that was bad until he showed up in layer 3 of the Pthumeru Ihyll Root depth 5 dungeon that I had given Fetid, Rotted, and Cursed offerings. So my health is cut like in the Defiled Chalice to about 50%. 2 Hits and I'm dead.

I had doggie in previous layer but everything I learned about him in my Defiled Chalice dungeon helped me clear him in 2 gos.

Korosenai

Once I get this character i'm working on to 25 skill, I want to make another copy of the save file that way I can get this character to 50 skill, and the one I copy to 50 bloodtinge / 25 skill. Is this possible? How would I go about making a copy of a save file?

I'm doing a bloodtinge build and going for this at lvl 100:

Vit 47
End 20
Strength 11 (either that or 1 point too much in arcane)
Skill 25
Bloodting 40
Arcane 7

Can't reach 50 blood at lvl100 without sacrificing too much Vit (or skill).

I may stop at 20 endurance too, though i'm aiming for 120 instead of 100.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Yup, fuck this thing. I'm having a harder time with this than I did with the Defiled dungeon and the Ebrietas rematch. The narrow cave, stupid camera and high lock-on point make this a real bitch. And that fuck that worm thing once it pops out.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well crap, I make it through two layers of the Ihyll Pthumerun depth 5 dungeon and get to a boss on layer three and it's not the damn queen.

I guess I'll have to keep searching and hope to find the one with the queen.

Soulhouf

Good writeup, but I have to say I disagree with that, as these gems were certainly worthwhile for me.

You also pick up a +15% overall attack gem in the Nightmare of Mensis.

-----------------------

On another note, after 4 characters I finally decided to start a build (until now they were all with very low attack stat and I only increased vitality/stamina when I level up).

I decided to start with a bloodtinge build with Chikage and Evelyn as my main weapons.
My bloodtinge stat is currently at 27 but I noticed that reached a diminishing return 1 or 2 levels ago.
Is it worth it to increase skill instead from now on or do I continue to go with bloodtinge?

Here are my stats: lv68 (NG+4):
Vit = 40
End = 19
Str = 11
Skl = 14
Btg = 27
Arc = 7

Top Bottom