• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well crap, I make it through two layers of the Ihyll Pthumerun depth 5 dungeon and get to a boss on layer three and it's not the damn queen.

I guess I'll have to keep searching and hope to find the one with the queen.
...Huh? Layer 3 boss is the queen... are you using a root chalice somehow? Which you only get in layer 2 of the non-root Ihyll anyway? I'm confused.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
...Huh? Layer 3 boss is the queen... are you using a root chalice somehow? Which you only get in layer 2 of the non-root Ihyll anyway? I'm confused.
I joined a game and it wa labelled Ithyll Pthumera chalice depth 5. However, from what I read the bosses are supposed to be Pthumerian Descendant, Bloodletting Beast and the Queen.

That did not happen. Noting to indicate it was a root chalice that I joined. The bosses I fought were bloodletting beast, man eater boar, and Pthumerian Descendant.

Nevertheless, it seems that I have joined the correct one now since Pthumerian Descendant is first boss.

We will see.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I joined a game and it wa labelled Ithyll Pthumera chalice depth 5. However, from what I read the bosses are supposed to be Pthumerian Descendant, Bloodletting Beast and the Queen.

That did not happen. Noting to indicate it was a root chalice that I joined. The bosses I fought were bloodletting beast, man eater boar, and Pthumerian Descendant.

Nevertheless, it seems that I have joined the correct one now since Pthumerian Descendant is first boss.

We will see.

What do you mean, you "joined a game"? Did you generate that chalice dungeon yourself, or are you joining someone else's game?

Has anyone been able to copy their save and have two copies of it on their ps4? Or can you only overwrite the old version?

You overwrite the current save in your ps4, you cant have two saves at the same time.

I joined someone else's game using the makeshift altar.

If you join a game that way. The dungeon is automatically unlocked.

I think you entered a root chalice. the base chalice have 3 layers unless you got lucky and the system generated two extra rare layers

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You overwrite the current save in your ps4, you cant have two saves at the same time.

I think you entered a root chalice. the base chalice have 3 layers unless you got lucky and the system generated two extra rare layers
I think I'm at the correct one now.

Unfortunately I keep getting my ass handed to me by the Pthumerian Descendant. Such bullshit that the weapons he throws can hit you through the pillars.

I think I'm at the correct one now.

Unfortunately I keep getting my ass handed to me by the Pthumerian Descendant. Such bullshit that the weapons he throws can hit you through the pillars.
He can be easy enough to visceral in stage 1 but he is BS. If you cant beat him i'd recommend using the fextralife wiki's glyph for that chalice. They have ones for the Defiled Chalice and Great Ihyll. They are both plentiful with player messages too and cooperators are usually easy enough to summon.

Join Fextra Ihyll dungeon via this Glyph: egn5rrdj

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I joined someone else's game using the makeshift altar.

If you join a game that way. The dungeon is automatically unlocked.
Ah. Well I don't know if that works or not, since I never used the makeshift altar, but if you want a guaranteed Queen, just use the Ihyll chalice with the required materials on one of your tombstone. There, problem solved.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
He can be easy enough to visceral in stage 1 but he is BS. If you cant beat him i'd recommend using the fextralife wiki's glyph for that chalice. They have ones for the Defiled Chalice and Great Ihyll. They are both plentiful with player messages too and cooperators are usually easy enough to summon.

Join Fextra Ihyll dungeon via this Glyph: egn5rrdj
I happen to be in that dungeon!

EL CUCO

Hey, i'm about to fight the Amygdala. Any tips before I start the fight?
Kind of a grind, but safest and most consistent strat is
staying by his sides and attack the limbs. Go for head once you feel confident with his attacks.

For last phase, stay behind him and chop away at his legs.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
like that I am getting owned by the headless bloodletting beast.

I can't even get a hit in on the guy. I get raped if I lock on and if I don't lock on then half the time I can't even see him and then I get hit.

This will be fun.

I have a question. I'm currently at the Altar of Despair after killing Ebrietas, and there is something I can interact with at the back of the room, but when I check it, the only option is to do nothing. What is this used for?

I have a question. I'm currently at the Altar of Despair after killing Ebrietas, and there is something I can interact with at the back of the room, but when I check it, the only option is to do nothing. What is this used for?

Thats where you put the queen of the vileblood's
corpse
after Alfred sidequest or after you killed her to
revive her

hitgirl

I guess I'll try to go for the head of the Watchdog. Been going for his legs, but I'm getting taken out by that slam attack.

knitoe

Good news. One step closer to getting the Ihyll Root chalice for gem farming. Got into a Ihyll dungeon on my lvl45. It was almost impossible going th normal way since even the first boss in Defiled was 1 hitting me on her last phase. Now the bad news, I don't do enough damage to the headless BLB. Fights are lasting around 7-10 min. 2 hits and I am dead.

Next boss up is
Shadow of Yharnam
. I saw a video for some tips, and it seems easy enough. I'll try it tomorrow.

But ugh, I really want those BoM.
Tonitrus and LHB are pretty good, though. I have a gem on LHB that increases damage against beasts, which helps. Tonitrus with its bolt damage helps with the majority of enemies.

spliced

I never knew you could visceral the giant dudes in Cath Ward, I mostly just charge spun them with my axe, but now that I'm using the saw cleaver they're more of a fight.

I never knew you could visceral the giant dudes in Cath Ward, I mostly just charge spun them with my axe, but now that I'm using the saw cleaver they're more of a fight.
I didn't either. They don't seem to get into a visceral state when doing a charged R2 behind them. I think I've parried/visceralled them once, and I don't remember how.

I agree with this.
I think it's one of the things Bloodborne sort of encourages too much.
I mean, the one time i did beat E
brietas
, it was because i stopped trying dodging and being fancy, and just mashed R1 with boltpaper on, which basically stunlocked her into a cycle of simple attacks, preventing her to do the
1hitKO lasers
, same with the
(non secret) final boss
and D
arkbeast
P
aarl
, and a couple of others, it feels like many times just dodging one attack and spamming R1 like a moron is a very sound strategy.

I mean parrying isn't a bad option in this game, simply because you can activate it without risk of being hit (from a distance) and because the active window is so large, compared to past games, or regular action games, but i would've preferred a quicker parry, with a smaller window, and not as much emphasis on stun-locking.
Dark Souls 2 was probably the opposite (in a bad way) extreme of this, but i would like something in between.
That was my experience with D
arkbeast
P
aarl
as well. Fought him the first time I came to his area, did way too little damage and got wrecked, came back the second time and he's a joke. It wasn't because my skill at fighting him had grown in the interim, it was just that I was dealing much more damage per hit and was stunning him easily. That's super lame in a game like this where your skill is supposed to be the primary way you develop, your way of "leveling up."

At the very least, bosses need some indication of how much poise they have before they'll break. There's absolutely no feedback with that as it stands, and it's always been a flaw. Hopefully next game.

My ideal for parrying is that it should require you to be in the range of the attack you're going to parry, and be highly responsive. The big problem with this is that it could make getting critical hits too easy, all you have to do is parry a single attack successfully. That's going to be too simplistic to really last in a PVE context, but there are definitely things they can do to keep things interesting. Metal Gear Rising is a game they should definitely look to for ways to spice up their parry/riposte system. I'm just disappointed they didn't nail it with this game, this was the perfect moment for the Souls paradigm to be refined to perfection, but Bloodborne is held back by some bafflingly flawed core mechanics and quite a bit of level design that's just as bizarrely weak.

I still have to disagree with parrying being flawed, at least in comparison to Souls games other than 2 (which had an awful parrying system which required frame perfect and psychic timing on most attacks).

It might just me, but I find it a lot more interesting to learn the timing of enemy attacks and become better at capitalizing on the risk reward aspect of parrying than simply always going in and pressing the attack button. That and it makes the enemies more varied, I approach beefier, slower enemies and smaller, faster enemies differently because of the parrying system.

My ideal for parrying is that it should require you to be in the range of the attack you're going to parry, and be highly responsive.
You already have to be within the range of the attack. Most enemies won't throw out an attack that can be parried until they are close enough to you. The "slow response" is an intentional design that forces you to anticipate, predict, and pay attention.

I think when I said "parry at a distance" earlier, you must have somehow assumed that meant that you can snipe parries (which admittedly is possible in PVP where players are less likely to just charge at you, but then you realize how hard it is to actually get a reposte in those situations) I only meant that you don't need to step on an enemy's toes which can cause trading to happen, you just need to utilize footsies to bait attacks.

Can someone help. I was messing around in the area right before you fight the witches boss and a Carriage with horses showed up while I was fighting the dogs. I mistakenly hit a horse and it disappeared. Am I screwed?

spliced

I didn't either. They don't seem to get into a visceral state when doing a charged R2 behind them. I think I've parried/visceralled them once, and I don't remember how.

I believe you have to do a certain amount of damage to their legs and they will collapse with their head close to the ground, then you can go in front for the visceral.

MUnited83

For you.
Can someone help. I was messing around in the area right before you fight the witches boss and a Carriage with horses showed up while I was fighting the dogs. I mistakenly hit a horse and it disappeared. Am I screwed?

Nah, you're fine. Go to the same spot and the cutscene will trigger again.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Finally took down headless bloodletting beast by myself. I think that's enough for tonight. Tomorrow, onward to the final boss and my platinum.

I have to say, the blood stone chunk and blood rock situation is really stupid. Making them so rare only discourages me from experimenting with other weapons entirely. Even if others might offer advantages in certain situations, I'm going to stick within the small selection of weapons I've fully upgraded because they'll likely make up for any disadvantages through sheer numbers.

I think I've only actually sampled a half dozen weapons total. Why bother with anything else when they'll probably be capped at Level 6 due to the items necessary for further upgrading being excessively limited?

Gurrry

I finally beat Rom today. Jesus christ this game is taking me alot longer to finish than I would have imagined. I love the souls games and usually chug through them, but with this one ive been taking a different approach and just chipping away at it a little every few days.

I started up a STR build today and got all the way to BSB in like an hour. My first file that ive been working on has like 40+ hours (not all were spent in-game though).

Sayah

At first when I started playing, I wasn't really enjoying it. I liked having my shield in past Souls games.

But the more I play, the more I'm liking it. Especially after I reached the first boss fight in the graveyard area. I hope the quick side and back steps during enemy lock-on get adapted in to Dark Souls III.

This is a pretty fun game, though. I love my axe. The gun is completely is useless, however, except for when I want to direct a single AI towards me so I don't get horde attacked. But regardless of that, the AI is much smarter and more unpredictable in this game compared to previous Souls titles.

MUnited83

For you.
At first when I started playing, I wasn't really enjoying it. I liked having my shield in past Souls games.

But the more I play, the more I'm liking it. Especially after I reached the first boss fight in the graveyard area. I hope the quick side and back steps during enemy lock-on get adapted in to Dark Souls III.

This is a pretty fun game, though. I love my axe. The gun is completely is useless, however, except for when I want to direct a single AI towards me so I don't get horde attacked. But regardless of that, the AI is much smarter and more unpredictable in this game compared to previous Souls titles.
The gun is actually pretty important ;)

I still have to disagree with parrying being flawed, at least in comparison to Souls games other than 2 (which had an awful parrying system which required frame perfect and psychic timing on most attacks).

It might just me, but I find it a lot more interesting to learn the timing of enemy attacks and become better at capitalizing on the risk reward aspect of parrying than simply always going in and pressing the attack button. That and it makes the enemies more varied, I approach beefier, slower enemies and smaller, faster enemies differently because of the parrying system.

You already have to be within the range of the attack. Most enemies won't throw out an attack that can be parried until they are close enough to you. The "slow response" is an intentional design that forces you to anticipate, predict, and pay attention.

I think when I said "parry at a distance" earlier, you must have somehow assumed that meant that you can snipe parries (which admittedly is possible in PVP where players are less likely to just charge at you, but then you realize how hard it is to actually get a reposte in those situations) I only meant that you don't need to step on an enemy's toes which can cause trading to happen, you just need to utilize footsies to bait attacks.

Parrying in PvP is currently pretty stupid as it can be spammed too easily. Not all players do it, but most.

Finally took down headless bloodletting beast by myself. I think that's enough for tonight. Tomorrow, onward to the final boss and my platinum.

I have to say, the blood stone chunk and blood rock situation is really stupid. Making them so rare only discourages me from experimenting with other weapons entirely. Even if others might offer advantages in certain situations, I'm going to stick within the small selection of weapons I've fully upgraded because they'll likely make up for any disadvantages through sheer numbers.

I think I've only actually sampled a half dozen weapons total. Why bother with anything else when they'll probably be capped at Level 6 due to the items necessary for further upgrading being excessively limited?

It's not like there are that many weapons to begin with for each build type. You can still experiment at +6 and then upgrade 3-4 weapons with relative ease. (Chunk farming in upper Cathredral Ward is not that bad and Rocks are very easy to come by).

It might just me, but I find it a lot more interesting to learn the timing of enemy attacks and become better at capitalizing on the risk reward aspect of parrying than simply always going in and pressing the attack button.
I don't disagree with any of this at all. DS2's parrying was awful. Parrying as a basic concept is awesome, which is what I interpreted that second paragraph as saying. I'm not sure if you're trying to make an argument against something I've said with that.

That and it makes the enemies more varied, I approach beefier, slower enemies and smaller, faster enemies differently because of the parrying system.
This is a little weird. It seems that you might saying that fast enemies should be impossible to parry simply because their attacks are fast. Is that correct?

You don't absolutely have to be in range, but it's rare enough that it's just something that weakens the system instead of cracking it wide open, so I won't debate this point. However, I do think that the "slow response" is far too slow. It's not the absurdity that was many of Dark Souls II's parries, but it's a bad fit for this game. I'd like to say more, but I'm not totally clear on what you mean with the second sentence in that quote. Could you go into more detail?

By snipe you mean parry from super long distances? Yeah, that's not going to happen in PVE, but that doesn't mean that distanced parries from a more reasonable range can't happen. I'm not sure what you're trying to argue there.

Talking about using footsies (positioning if I'm understanding correctly) to prevent trading is missing my point; that's just a bandage to prevent something that shouldn't be there at all. Trading shouldn't be possible, period. If their intention with trading was to encourage players to step out of an enemy's attack range to parry then not only do I think that's a bad idea on principle, I think trading is a terrible way to teach it. After all, unless the attack you trade with has huge knockdown or kills you outright, you're going to get all the health you lost back when you riposte. Trading seems like something they just didn't consider when designing the combat system, and the heavy warmup lag on parries exacerbates it into something really ugly.

Later on in the game?

And I'm also having framerate issues in Old Yharnam. Not sure if that's common.

The gun is important always, you use it to 'parry'. (and imo, much more fun than the Souls' parry)

It's what you rely on against the slightly tougher enemies in the beginning.

Sayah

The gun is important always, you use it to 'parry'. (and imo, much more fun than the Souls' parry)

It's what you rely on against the slightly tougher enemies in the beginning.

I have blood tinge at level 5 and I've just gone through half of Old Yharnam already using just my axe weapon. I guess I'll try to update my blood tinge since I have access to the repeating pistol. The hunter pistol was not doing much damage.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have finished Bloodborne and obtained the platinum trophy, here are a few thoughts:

Still what disappoints me about my experience is that I never felt like I mastered it. I feel like I got lucky and benefitted from being overleveled and relied on coop. I never felt like I got how the dodging worked and NEVER came close to mastering to parry system. I totally gave up trying. I was always a split second too late when I tried to use it and often it seemed like the hit didn't result in a parry and massive damage would take place. For the bosses that I did beat I was never able to cheese my way through. The cheesing YouTube videos almost never worked. The hunters you encountered in game. I did cheese many of them, because they were major annoying and I would exploit every major environmental thing I could find to deal with them. Imagine how much tougher the game would have been if hunters respawned...wow.

The most frustrating aspect was the camera and the lock on. Those got me killed and cheesed far more often than anything. For me the lock on was a classic case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. I relied on lock on to make sure the boss the boss was in front of me, but whenever I needed to unlock the camera to try to get out of a tight spot, the boss would move outside of the camera and I would have to resort to frantically rolling and dodging to hope that I didn't get hit and be out of range to use a health vile. Then rolling around trying to adjust the camera so that you could get the boss back in your field of view. So many stupid and cheap deaths resulted from the camera. Sadly, there really isn't much that can be done to fix it. Both the camera and the dodging are controlled with your right thumb and as a result it was impossible to dodge and adjust the camera at the same time.

On the bright side, I very rarely died when going through new areas because I was usually very careful and was very mindful of my surroundings and I could methodically work my way through. In the event that I was getting overwhelmed I would often retreat into a safe area. As a result I very rarely permanently lost blood echoes.

I have blood tinge at level 5 and I've just gone through half of Old Yharnam already using just my axe weapon. I guess I'll try to update my blood tinge since I have access to the repeating pistol. The hunter pistol was not doing much damage.

You don't use guns for damage, and bloodtinge doesn't affect your counterwindow anyway.

There are some guns that have good damage but they require investments.

I have finished Bloodborne and obtained the platinum trophy, here are a few thoughts:

Still what disappoints me about my experience is that I never felt like I mastered it. I feel like I got lucky and benefitted from being overleveled and relied on coop.
I know you don't care what I think but this is the sole reason I tried to get you to do it yourself. You would have felt better about it.

Top Bottom