• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Thanks for the tip. I wasn't sure how the chalice progress works, and this will help me to proceed.
Also one other advantage of this method is that it negates the need to farm materials to unlock the later dungeons. To normally unlock Defiled and Ihyll it requires you to go to other dungeons to obtain the necessary materials.

Sayah

You don't use guns for damage, and bloodtinge doesn't affect your counterwindow anyway.

There are some guns that have good damage but they require investments.

Guns are not for damage(unless you are running a bloodtinge build). Guns are for parrying. By shooting the enemies just as they are hitting you, you will perform a parry and they will be stunned. Click R1 when they are stunned to do a visceral attack, which does massive damage.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. :)

Melchiah

Also one other advantage of this method is that it negates the need to farm materials to unlock the later dungeons. To normally unlock Defiled and Ihyll it requires you to go to other dungeons to obtain the necessary materials.

That's certainly a big plus. Hopefully the co-op thing works as described in my case.

Need some noob help.

Just picked up the game (new to Soul games) so was looking up a beginner build and chose this DMC build after making 3 characters and trying out each weapon

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/a...build-bloodborne-origin-class-skill-effective

After many many MANY deaths I kind of figured things out, brought up my stats, got the armor and just killed the Cleric Beast.

I got all excited thinking I could go buy some cool weapon now but the only option I have is for a hammer which is clearly for a str build.

Do you have to kill bosses for specific weapons? using the build above I am supposed to find skill based weapons and I have already committed a lot to the skill stat

Your best bet initially is the threaded cane. Some weapons might get some time to get, so for now investing on the threaded cane is not a bad idea.

But if you're so focused on getting one the sooner the better, your best bet is BoM

Spoilers obviously
Search for Eileen the crow, she is in central Yharnam, near one of the sewers entrance (look for a video if you can't find her). You can kill her and get the badge for the weapon (and a very cool armor) but be advise that you won't complete her quest and will lock you out of the her covenant and a very nice rune. If she's too tough for you, probably depending of your level, you might want to wait for the next phase of her quest. She will be in Cathedral ward and she'll tell you that she has to fight someone, go to the location she says and you'll face a very tough NPC, but she will come to the rescue. Now you can let her do most of the job, kill the enemy NPC and kill her too ( or let her die) without much effort. Of course this also means you won't complete her quest

Dunlop

Thx, just got the saw spear.

I'm confused to the point of it as it seems to be the same as the saw cleaver

It's it just one used str while the other it's still?

Gurrry

Holy shit man. So after beating rom and going through that new area, wtf. Theres a zillion enemies, it loops back to the other area i was already at. I know where to go now, but god damn, did they put enough fucking enemies in this area???! Im not sure if they did or not.

Thats dark souls 2 level of laziness

Holy shit man. So after beating rom and going through that new area, wtf. Theres a zillion enemies, it loops back to the other area i was already at. I know where to go now, but god damn, did they put enough fucking enemies in this area???! Im not sure if they did or not.

Thats dark souls 2 level of laziness
Kill the bell ringers.

Gurrry

Kill the bell ringers.

Yea then when you die, do it all over again.

Theyre placed in such a way that youre encouraged to run by them rather than kill them imo. Now i found some teleporting bath and it loops back around and gave me "shortcut" that seems almost as long as the original route.

Im just really not feeling this section of the game, but im sure the salt levels will decrease once I see the bigger picture.

Gurrry

Got to
the one reborn

I still dont understand the need for that entire section with the teleporting bath and all that shit other than that shortcut with the elevator. I guess it was worth doing that because the route to him otherwise sucks ass.

Somebody invaded my game while I was battling the two pigs in Mensis and started to attack me without waiting for me to finish up. Some people are dicks.

Korosenai

Guys, my mind just got motherfucking blown.... Nothing real huge but
I just now realized that the Ebreitas fight takes places directly behind the altar that Laurence's Skull is on

Somebody invaded my game while I was battling the two pigs in Mensis and started to attack me without waiting for me to finish up. Some people are dicks.

That's supposed to happen.
You need to focus on killing the Bell Maiden before all else if you want to be safe from invaders.

Ethelwulf

Is the Chikage worth using it if I have low bloodtinge? I'm at level 85 with 16 points on it. Is it really worth scaling up this stat? I want to be prepared for NG+ but don't want to mess up my build.

Don't get it either. What do people get from it anyway? The killed player's echoes and insight?
Yeah. Frankly I am unsure if they get all the player's blood echoes or a certain amount. For the insight, it's a very small amount. I enjoy Pvp but I am not the type to gank players. I will bow, let them finish killing whatever and heal up before we fight.

Boogdud

I have 2 of 3 umbilical cord fragments and just hit 60 and got to nightmare of mensis. What's a good place to gain some levels before going on?

That's supposed to happen.
You need to focus on killing the Bell Maiden before all else if you want to be safe from invaders.
I've already beaten the game twice :p. I usually don't mind being invaded which is why I left the Bell Maidens alive but this was the first time I've been invaded by a less than honorable player.

I do that too. 90% of my invasions have been a gank fest, so I became a dick. I realized I'm an invader, I'm the bad guy, no need to be nice.

Kill or be ganked.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Any one had game breaking glitches?

Encountered Paarl in chalice and I hit him a few times, he flew to the wall and disappeared. Had to reset. Had another one where I was fighting a different beast. He hit me and I fell into the floor and disappeared.

Arjen

Any one had game breaking glitches?

Encountered Paarl in chalice and I hit him a few times, he flew to the wall and disappeared. Had to reset. Had another one where I was fighting a different beast. He hit me and I fell into the floor and disappeared.

Yeah chalice Ebrietas glitches me into the ground and I died.

It really isn't if you consider how the game would play with your "fast response" idea. First, the animation would not make any sense. If you think of other action games with fast gun response, two things stand out a) The faster guns typically have no stun b) The physical attacks in the game can be done at almost the rate as the fastest gunshots. Only the BoM can come close to matching gunshot speed as far as I know and that's one weapon. You would be asking for quick gunshots with the heaviest of stuns, literally a crumple, when your physical attacks are far slower. Second, people would abuse the system. Yes, you could more twitch react with parries but you also could damage stack even worse with bloodtinge builds. With a repeating pistol, you could probably cheese out a boss without even trying, just stack bullets, use runes. Other weapons would make BB damage scaling a joke, avoiding any damage resets. Third, the AI would drive you nuts. They should have the same rules and if they could pretty much parry mid combination, the balance is all off again. Fourth, you would lose the necessity to dodge and be active. Players could camp and just visceral spam. Movement would be less emphasized in a title that is supposed to be emphasizing the speed more than ever.

There are more considerations, these are a few, but I'm sure From checked out faster gunshots. It probably broke two important rules, balance and intention. I don't see this game as an attempt to match the stylish action game sub-genre nor do I think it should be a gun heavy title. I think the balance is pretty good. But let's take your point further. I would have no issue if they created a further gun type for your system, let's say a pocket pistol class for the sake of discussion. This would be a quick fire gunshot, almost instant but there would be a few tradeoffs. Your parrying window needs to shrink by a large percentage, meaning to master quick parries you need a ton of practice with higher risk (other titles always reward for perfect frame parrying), and the damage needs to be very low. That I think would meet what you are looking for and "possibly" not kill the balance.

Why? Trading means you mistimed your parry or did so at poor positioning. It's also better then a whiff, which From could have implemented as a pure punish for missing. And I don't see why you should get priority when the enemy hits you as well.

Your pocket pistol concept is very close to what I would envision as a more refined version of Bloodborne's parrying system. I'd actually go even further (like I said earlier, parrying at range should only be possible when an enemy is healing). I think the big misunderstanding here is that I want every part of parrying to be fast. That's not the case: I just want the warmup to be faster. Significant cooldown is absolutely necessary, you're absolutely right that something resembling, say, Dante's pistols with their machine gun-like repeating would be absurd for this game. I also agree that gun damage should be de-emphasized; I think that this style of game should be heavily focused on melee (though I do think that making blood bullets much more damaging than ordinary ones could be interesting, making you take a risk to gain something powerful but limited... it would probably have to be reworked in other ways too to really make this work though).

Your point about dodging becoming unnecessary if parrying is too fast is a good one, but it's fairly easy to solve and has already been solved pretty well in Bloodborne: make many parryable attacks difficult to actually parry (they went overboard with this actually, forcing players to react in absurdly small windows at times) and don't make every attack parryable. The latter suggestion doesn't work in a PVP context (or in the context of player-like NPC enemies), but the scenario you describe of players camping and spamming viscerals was already possible in previous games, just very difficult. I'm not sure what you mean with that scenario of AIs parrying mid combination, I don't see that as a problem (should they be stunlocked unless they dodge out?), but I might be misunderstanding you. The speed of parries is definitely a concern for PVP, but Demon's and Dark Souls seemed to do fine with faster parries than Bloodborne. I'm definitely not a PVP expert, so I don't really understand why this is. Is connection lag the big factor? PVP balance in terms of attack speeds is a rough issue in general.

Trading is a bad concept, period as far as I can tell. Partial parries were a fine solution to punishing slight mistiming or somewhat off positioning. However, if by bad positioning you mean "you should've been standing outside of the range of that attack when you attempted to parry," I have a problem with that. Parrying should require you to be in the range of the attack you intend to parry, this is fundamental to the basic risk-reward structure of the action. As for getting priority when the enemy hits you (when the attack connects on the same frame your parry activates, right?), I don't have super strong feelings about this scenario; if it results in a partial parry that might be fine, it depends on the overall nature of the timing window. I might be misunderstanding your point here, but it seems like a minor issue.

Invading is a dick move to begin with. Going back to Demon's I've always thought expecting invaders to be honorable was a bit silly. They have no more cause to be honorable than the regular bosses or enemies do.

Invading is a dick move to begin with. Going back to Demon's I've always thought expecting invaders to be honorable was a bit silly. They have no more cause to be honorable than the regular bosses or enemies do.

Eh, I don't usually mind being invaded. And usually if I do invade someone I try to not grief them. If I see they're trying to do something or taking on other enemies I'll wait. I don't blame people I'm invading for immediately attacking either.

All I'm saying is if you're the one invading, you should respect the person you're invading.

gunbo13

Your pocket pistol concept is very close to what I would envision as a more refined version of Bloodborne's parrying system. I'd actually go even further (like I said earlier, parrying at range should only be possible when an enemy is healing).
The idea I'm understanding is to keep things close, which will emphasize melee, and parrying should be a high risk/reward faster mechanic. I do however believe that you can have both systems at play. You could have your weapons tier on range regarding parrying. One tier could be the pocket pistol concept, even having some versions strapped to characters (think wild wild west stuff). You could have alt attacks that are gunshot melee (think Bayonetta) and these weapons have a normal shot with very low startup lag. Since they are small, they need improved timing on the parry, this would be a just input. These weapons should be useless beyond a close range making them possibly super powerful but requiring a high skill level.

However, there is no issue having ranged parries with further tiers. You could have mid-range and long-range. Mid-range should have higher startup frames and a larger cone. They should have a little more forgiveness on timing your parries but their firing should make most quick attacks not parryable. That is a key point since players who keep distance lose the ability to parry numerous attacks. Finally, have a long-range which will likely not get many parries. They could be utilized for large enemies where you have to keep distance and you need enough firepower to crumple them. It can also be the de facto weapon for punishing healing. The rest of the balance issues will fall in place with this system. The most important idea would be to make sure each tier plays differently and they don't undermine the others. You also have to not frustrate players, which usually would reverse ideas like making close parrying less forgiving.

The current system isn't that bad though as long as you can get over its forgiving nature. You can choose to play how you want. I currently am playing BoM at NG levels, deemphasizing parrying. I then get questions why I would avoid a useful feature. I just find it more fun to try to almost remove it to add challenge but I don't completely put it away.
Trading is a bad concept, period as far as I can tell. Partial parries were a fine solution to punishing slight mistiming or somewhat off positioning. However, if by bad positioning you mean "you should've been standing outside of the range of that attack when you attempted to parry," I have a problem with that.
If you miss a parry up close, that doesn't mean you get hit because many weapons still stun. It's a pretty forgiving system that isn't broken by range parries, you are not overly less vulnerable from mid-range. It isn't built to have a high difficulty ceiling and can be abused the more you memorize enemy behavior. Basically if you want to remove/improve range parries, you need to revise the parrying and weapon systems to get it right.

As for trades, they could be changed to lockups. Think of clinging off enemies in other games, a cancel and reset. Have some cool animations where the gun shot misses just a bit from the attack and your blade blocks the attack. Then have a kickback for both participants. You don't lose or gain anything, it is a reset. You could expand on that system further but that alternative to trades is enough IMO to remove criticism.

The whole honor system is just some agreement between players who treat this as a fighting game though and that's not what it is. I like honorable battles too but I don't think that's the idea behind invasions in the first place. It adds an extra layer of tension to the game when you get invaded by a merciless killer that you have to outwit and it feels amazing if you beat someone who is just carrying out the sole purpose of the invasion: hunting you down and doing everything in his power to kill you. It's great if you get invaded by a pleasant chap who curtseys and proceeds to duel you honorably but it's not what you should be expecting.

Anyone having connection problems? I can join other people's games as a cooperator no problem, but at Rom specifically (I've summoned successfully at many other bosses in this run), I'm getting booted to the menu when I try to use my Beckoning Bell (AND it's charging me an Insight!). Anyone else having similar issues?

jersoc

so i'm nearing the end of game. what do i need to prepare for different endings aside from saving the file? just the umbilical cords?

So I took down
Abhorrent Beast
in
Forbidden Woods
. Didn't feel like actually fighting him, so I cheesed him with poison knives.

Question: How does this
beast "transformation"
work? I have two runes that boost it now, but I don't know how to use them.

so i'm nearing the end of game. what do i need to prepare for different endings aside from saving the file? just the umbilical cords?

Save your save before talking to
Gehrman

1.- accept option then reload your save
2.- refuse option then reload your save
3.- eating the cords then refuse **
Die on the second boss to do the chalice dungeons

Gbraga

Gotta love people running away close to the enemies in Frontier when they get hit by Numbing Mist.

I even use blood bullets to even the health loss, I assume he'll heal and I'm fine with it, but he can't even deal with the fact that his healing can be punished? Really?

Fuck you, I'm not having any of that shit, just killed myself.

The whole honor system is just some agreement between players who treat this as a fighting game though and that's not what it is. I like honorable battles too but I don't think that's the idea behind invasions in the first place. It adds an extra layer of tension to the game when you get invaded by a merciless killer that you have to outwit and it feels amazing if you beat someone who is just carrying out the sole purpose of the invasion: hunting you down and doing everything in his power to kill you. It's great if you get invaded by a pleasant chap who curtseys and proceeds to duel you honorably but it's not what you should be expecting.

I understand that. I'm just venting my frustration is all :).

Anyways, I finished the chalice dungeons! All I have to do now is beat the game once more :). I think I'm going to start fresh for my final playthrough. I will have my platinum in a couple days!

Save your save before talking to
Gehrman

1.- accept option then reload your save
2.- refuse option then reload your save
3.- eating the cords then refuse **
Die on the second boss to do the chalice dungeons

You could also just use a Bold Hunter's Mask to warp out rather than dying, but yeah, same thing.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I understand that. I'm just venting my frustration is all :).

Anyways, I finished the chalice dungeons! All I have to do now is beat the game once more :). I think I'm going to start fresh for my final playthrough. I will have my platinum in a couple days!

If I get invaded I just exit and restart. One guy messaged me all angry.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
And there is Y
harnam
put into the grave, and platinum achieved.

Short thoughts:

- Overall, an excellent game dragged down for me by design and balance issues.
- I still don't like the health system and feel something is just out of whack. The game flow stops and starts in an awkward way due to grinding supplies.
- I gave up on co-op entirely. First Souls-style game I've just played solo. I think the online system is good on paper, and very muddled in execution.
- From's lack of technical polish really hurts this game with stuttering framerate, slowdown in co-op, and a camera that cannot function with half the boss designs - they degenerate into a screen full of tentacles, physics hair, or giant limbs. Even when not locked on.
- Chalice dungeon potential is hurt by the poor co-op system.
- It feels like a shallow game compared to From's other games.
- I really wish attire sets had stat scaling properties to interact with different builds in a more interesting way. Or could be customized with gems.
- Chalice dungeons, again, good on paper, problematic in execution. Mostly they feel superfluous due to a lack of gear and meaningful things to loot besides rune and weapons variants.
- NG+ isn't as interesting with less build variety and nothing new to do such as create boss weapons that require more than one playthrough to craft.

Sounds like I'm very down on the game. But I wouldn't platinum a game I dislike. It does enjoy the Miyazaki touch in art direction, boss design (except for the camera), and map layout. For melee combat, it plays fantastically, and the trick weapon system is one of my favorite things in a long time. (This in fact, is what kept me playing in large part.) It's just that, in spite of its development cycle, it feels rushed to me. A solid foundation and to its credit, it doesn't fall apart in the back half like Dark Souls. But it suffers a bit from a death of a thousand cuts around the edges.

I've platted DS1 and 2. With Bloodborne in the bag, I think it's time for me to go back and give Demon's Souls the respect it deserves for the platinum.

Top Bottom