• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Ushiwaka

So... Is Cruel Fate the best class or what? Starting with 14 arcane is pretty damn great and if you add like 5 more points to it, you can use some hunter tool + invest the rest of your blood echos in skill and strength. An strength/skill build that can use like half of the hunter tools.

Yeah I really should pump more into endurance. I dodge all over the dang place and I was practically drained at times during the Shadow of Yarnham fight. I'm also trying to learn BoM as well so I'm sure the added endurance would help with that thing.

If you did the female crow quest. she will give a useful endurance rune to survive the rest of the game.

If you did the female crow quest. she will give a useful endurance rune to survive the rest of the game.
I tried, but Henryk killed me and she died before I could complete that quest actually. Given how hard the Chikage guy is unless you stair cheese him I doubt I would've completed that one.

Blades of Mercy are great for Ebrietas, assuming you have the Blades quite upgraded and with good gems. But in this case you shouldn't try to bait the hhead attack. Just go behind her and attack her. Keep very close to her and keep dodging and running into her back.
I don't really like that strategy, it feels kind of cheesy to me when you basically get stuck where she can't hit you and just smash R1. Can't deny that it's a viable tactic but I like going head to head with her.

Baiting her head attack works just fine with BoM. You can beat her just exploiting head attacks and countering her charge. I did this in NG++ with BoM, no problem.
I found it to be extremely challenging. I was using BoM +9 with the best gems I had but I just wasn't doing enough damage. I honestly think your level makes a huge difference in this fight, as much or more than any boss in the game, in my opinion.

I'm not saying you can't do it but it was the toughest time I've had with Ebrietas with the four weapons I've used against her (LHB, Chikage, BoM, Reiterpallasch).

Also, comparing NG++ to NG is a little strange, the fights feel much different in repeat playthroughs.

MUnited83

For you.
Chalice dungeons are a bit confusing. I'm trying to open the Lower Pthmeru Chalice but it needs 9 ritual blood (3). I only have 8. Where can I find more?

Chalice dungeons are a bit confusing. I'm trying to open the Lower Pthmeru Chalice but it needs 9 ritual blood (3). I only have 8. Where can I find more?

In the chalices, you have to explore the red doors that contain treasure material between the starter layers or after opening the blue boss door or you can buy them with the fountain vendor.

In the chalices, you have to explore the red doors that contain treasure material between the starter layers or after opening the blue boss door or you can buy them with the fountain vendor.
Wait. So I can go to the first chalice dungeon after I've killed all the bosses and still find new stuff in them?

MUnited83

For you.

Does the loot respawn? I think I pretty much looted all I could.

Regarding the fountain vendor, they only seem to sell the level 1 blood rituals.

Melchiah

Ok, your stats show me that I don't have to stop pumping points into the strength stat then, nice to know. I just have to prioritize the Skill stat, which I already am.

I increased them both, as every once in a while the strength points gave more damage increase for my Cane than the skill points. Dunno why it was that way though.

Threaded Cane is a great weapon. I have used it on my third character, dont know why people would talk down on it. But personally Ludwig's Holy Blade is my favorite weapon. Hunter Axe is tied with Threaded Cane as my second.

It's too bad the Burial Blade is given so late, as I'd definitely want to try an upgraded version of it, but I've already spent those Blood Chunks for the Cane and Ludwig. I'll have to try the Wheel at some point as well.

I increased them both, as every once in a while the strength points gave more damage increase for my Cane than the skill points. Dunno why it was that way though.
I thought the increase discrepancy was because you reached the soft cap for skill. I ran into that same problem.

Melchiah

I thought the increase discrepancy was because you reached the soft cap for skill. I ran into that same problem.

I thought so too, but after increasing strength for few levels I noticed that the skill tree started to give a larger increase per level again. I have no idea when exactly I equipped those two +18% damage gems though, so it might have made the damage increase seem higher than it actually would have been without them.

I thought so too, but after increasing strength for few levels I noticed that the skill tree started to give a larger increase per level again. I have no idea when exactly I equipped those two +18% damage gems though, so it might have made the damage increase seem higher than it actually would have been without them.
Where did you find those two gems?

Wait. So I can go to the first chalice dungeon after I've killed all the bosses and still find new stuff in them?

Noup, the chalices pretty much gives you the exact materials for the next one unless you make and destroyed a chalice, wasting materials.

Does the loot respawn? I think I pretty much looted all I could.

Regarding the fountain vendor, they only seem to sell the level 1 blood rituals.

No, chest loot dont respawn sadly I think you have to go deeper to unlock the other materials.

After you created a chalice,you can search for a chalice you already made, put it and clear it again without wasting resources to look for resources. DONT CREATE a similar chalice but search it via chalice finder or gylph search

Soulhouf

The % gems are applied to the base damage AND the scaling bonus AND the already equipped bonus gems.
So yes, you'll see a bigger increase with the gems on.

Noup, the chalices pretty much gives you the exact materials for the next one unless you make and destroyed a chalice, wasting materials.

No, chest loot dont respawn sadly I think you have to go deeper to unlock the other materials.

After you created a chalice,you can search for a chalice you already made, put it and clear it again without wasting resources to look for resources. DONT CREATE a similar chalice but search it via chalice finder or gylph search
I should try going through the first one again to see if I missed anything and try to see if I can do the short root Chalice dungeon when I have time for it then.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Still stuck on the hunter that closes Eileen's quest.

I can match his speed and whittle him down with ease but if he decides to shoot two shots in a row that's it. The time that I beat him will probably just be luck of the draw getting an attempt where he doesn't do so, and I don't really like that :(

edit: The Threaded Cane is among my favorite weapons I've ever been given in a videogame

Still stuck on the hunter that closes Eileen's quest.

I can match his speed and whittle him down with ease but if he decides to shoot two shots in a row that's it. The time that I beat him will probably just be luck of the draw getting an attempt where he doesn't do so, and I don't really like that :(

edit: The Threaded Cane is among my favorite weapons I've ever been given in a videogame

Maybe you need a blood resistance armor to survive the shoots.

Nah, you're alright. I just finished the final bosses at level 64 without any issues. I'd say 30/40 is right for the Shadows.
God damn, I guess I'm pretty over leveled then. Explains why I beat them pretty easily once I got the parrying and switched my weapon. I tried the first time with the BoM, but I really was unfamiliar with the weapon.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
God damn, I guess I'm pretty over leveled then. Explains why I beat them pretty easily once I got the parrying and switched my weapon. I tried the first time with the BoM, but I really was unfamiliar with the weapon.

There is no such thing as being overleveled in this game. Any enemy can still kill you if you are careless.

There is no such thing as being overleveled in this game. Any enemy can still kill you if you are careless.
Oh thank god then. And yeah I've almost been killed by random crap still, just less often these days. I was killed by one of those snakehead things in the forbidden woods recently and I've killed plenty of those in the past, it was the ones that summon three snakes...the wild pigs are still a bit of a pain if you mess up too. It does keep it's challenge pretty well.

cormack12

Gold Member
So am at Cainhurst and Byrgenwerth. Those mobs outside Cainhurst are well spiked compared to the rest of the difficulty in that area. That hunter is wrecking me inside the house though. Can get them halfway down then they just demolish me. Parry seems inconsistent, and the whip range seems much longer than my own.....

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So am at Cainhurst and Byrgenwerth. Those mobs outside Cainhurst are well spiked compared to the rest of the difficulty in that area. That hunter is wrecking me inside the house though. Can get them halfway down then they just demolish me. Parry seems inconsistent, and the whip range seems much longer than my own.....
Do you mean the threaded cane hunter in Byrgenwerth?
Take away range as an advantage for him. I did it with my cane in basic mode, just R1ing him against furniture.

If I start a new game, will it overwrite my current save?
I want to start a new character, but still play with my current one whenever.

Don't tell me we can only have one character/save at a time. :(

If I start a new game, will it overwrite my current save?
I want to start a new character, but still play with my current one whenever.

It won't. You can have multiple characters on the same save file. Just hit "load game" instead of "continue" when you have more than one (you'll also be able to tell how much of a time sink was each character :)

It won't. You can have multiple characters on the same save file. Just hit "load game" instead of "continue" when you have more than one (you'll also be able to tell how much of a time sink was each character :)
Oh, phew. Thanks. :)
So if I want to start a new character, do I chose new game? Or?

I just mindlessly press "continue" every session lol

gunbo13

I'm not saying you can't do it but it was the toughest time I've had with Ebrietas with the four weapons I've used against her (LHB, Chikage, BoM, Reiterpallasch).

Also, comparing NG++ to NG is a little strange, the fights feel much different in repeat playthroughs.
I'm not sure how it's usually labeled but my NG++ means 3rd play-through. I did my second, NG+, with the burial blade. I didn't gain many levels from the second to third play-through however my character was already pretty shaped up from doing all the chalice work.

Regardless, it is possible but I guess tedious with a lower character level. I did amble damage slashing her head with BoM, then would get her side when she charged. She went down eventually. It's just annoying dodging pretty much everything else because BoM can't hit then escape fast enough. I would imagine it not being fun if my character hit much lighter e.g. not leveled up high.

Robiin

These chalice dungeons are getting old quick. The same rooms over and over again, with the same (only more HP and harder hitting) enemies. Only have the last boss(es) to go in the main game, but wanted to do everything before I beat the game - and get the platinum. Thought I could do it before the Witcher drops, but my motivation has just spiraled downwards. And I'm only at depth 3 Hintertomb. Still a long while to go...

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Eh, while that's more or less true, there are bosses that are complete jokes if you are overleveled.

I mean yes, if you are going into the Depth 1 chalice dungeons at level 100+ then you should have no issues clearing the place out quickly.

However, to me overleveled basically means that you are a tank. That never happens in Bloodborne. There isn't a whole lot of difference between a level 75 character and a level 125 character. The level 125 character might survive an extra hit or two, and kill the boss in a hit or two less.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
These chalice dungeons are getting old quick. The same rooms over and over again, with the same (only more HP and harder hitting) enemies. Only have the last boss(es) to go, but wanted to do everything before I beat the game - and get the platinum. Thought I could do it before the Witcher drops, but my motivation has just spiraled downwards. And I'm only at depth 3 Hintertomb. Still a long while to go...

I agree with this. The Chalice Dungeons were my least favorite part of the game. I felt that they were padding to add tons of hours to the game without being much fun.

Robiin

I agree with this. The Chalice Dungeons were my least favorite part of the game. I felt that they were padding to add tons of hours to the game without being much fun.
They would be fun if they had the same well-thought out level design as the story areas have. And maybe if there was fewer dungeons, but they were all end game content. Now if you do them when they're intended (first at level 30-40 etc) you would end up over levelled for the story areas, and vice versa. It's a drag, really.

These chalice dungeons are getting old quick. The same rooms over and over again, with the same (only more HP and harder hitting) enemies. Only have the last boss(es) to go in the main game, but wanted to do everything before I beat the game - and get the platinum. Thought I could do it before the Witcher drops, but my motivation has just spiraled downwards. And I'm only at depth 3 Hintertomb. Still a long while to go...

You only need to do the three phyumerian chalices to get the defiled and get the last chalice for the platinum but you will starve of material.

I dont like the idea to get the best gems throught that system because some root chalices requires a good bunch of grinding and the bosses becomes sponges that can one shot you if you are not careful

I'm doing like 230+ damage with my kirkhammer agains D
efiled Watchdog
that's downright bullshit. What I'm suposed to do? Use my tonitrus and not getting any hit with that short stick?

Xeilyn

efiled Watchdog
that's downright bullshit. What I'm suposed to do? Use my tonitrus and not getting any hit with that short stick?
You need to shatter his armor before you start doing any decent dmg. So if you keep hitting his head or legs they will eventually break and your dmg will increase against that body part untill it heals up

Minamu

Hintertomb is completely optional, I'm doing them right now just to say I have, and I've already beaten all the other standard ones.

Edit: Though considering how burnt out you might be, the harder ones will make you hate the game for good xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDSo2ihk1Zo
efiled Watchdog

Video is the best guide I've found. Hardly any views for some reason.

Just target all your attacks against his hind right leg.

I only ever attacked him when he did
a) HIS right to left head swing - once that passed I immediately dash to his hind right leg - after the first swing mentioned he will attempt to hit you by swinging his head back to where you are at his hind right leg but as long as you are just behind or to the side of said leg he shouldn't get you. Whack away until he jumps away - he sometimes jumps away and then does his charge instakill attack but this can be dodged by rolling.

b) when he vomits lava. This is well telegraphed so run behind him and whack away. After a few hits he might stamp his legs so watch that.

He's a piece of cake for me now.

gunbo13

Wow, that's some in-depth video... Doesn't that ruin like all the fun?

I equipped bone ash and dodged his charge...worked for me.

Top Bottom