• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Feindflug

Everything is fair in invasions and I don't feel bad with his weapon selection. Also killing multiple people while invading is the most fun thing in Bloodborne PvP, so we gave him that chance ;)

Also invaders have options to really really annoy the host if they want to, so it's not like he was helpless.

So gankers are actually doing us a favor all this time? haven't thought about it that way.

Also didn't know that Witches can appear as bosses in the dungeons and I've spent quite a few hours on them. I must be the only one that really enjoys the dungeons, from what I gather they are the thing that the vast majority of people dislike about this game the most...the whole thing that after some point you learn the levels inside out but enemy placement is different every time (and some times it's quite interesting to overcome/outsmart those challenges) is what keeps the balance in them IMO. Sure From could make a different layout for every major Chalice instead of adding some post processing effects but it's still great fun plus the loot is too good. :p

Hopefully From will add some new Chalice layouts in the DLC.

Chalice Dungeon layouts are more fun to explore randomized. The problem is, well, the ones you are required to do aren't.

But yeah the enemies and the bosses are the main draw.

So gankers are actually doing us a favor all this time? haven't thought about it that way.

Yes. Lighten up already! :p

Also I agree, Chalices are fun. I will probably do them for the third time soon.

Also GAF is amusing sometimes...
I post a video killing multiple people ganking me... I get called out for being a dick.
I post a video of killing an invader... Now I am the ganker.
LMAO.

After initializing and reinstalling the game, the frame rate seems worse and an elevator took a while to load in.

I haven't played since the last patch. Does that seem normal?

Feindflug

Yes. Lighten up already! :p

Also I agree, Chalices are fun. I will probably do them for the third time soon.

Also GAF is amusing sometimes...
I post a video killing multiple people ganking me... I get called out for being a dick.
I post a video of killing an invader... Now I am the ganker.
LMAO.

I was joking. Also an invader's purpose is to do the host's life harder even if you don't end up killing the host making him/her wasting blood vials/bullets/buffs is
Vileblood
work done right IMO.

The whole concept of invading other players is designed around the intention to be a dick plus if you want to make the game easier you have to face the consequences. :p

After initializing and reinstalling the game, the frame rate seems worse and an elevator took a while to load in.

The latest patch didn't affect the frame-rate in a negative way and I haven't encountered any instances with elevators taking longer than usual to load so yeah this is most likely not normal.

Minamu

Not normal. Only time the framerate drops severely is when you're in multiplayer with many players.

Edit: What's the community decided pvp zone? I've had plenty of success at both Nightmares, even at lvl 193.

gunbo13

This is going to be fun. And also, the Burial Blade is wickedly cool; however the fact that it cannot be buffed is certainly not in its favor.
It doesn't need buffs, it is really OP without. Does huge damage and has a crumple on R2 that even blows up bosses. You also can add arcane damage with gems but only slightly, which is good.
There are many attacks are so fast that they're pretty much physically impossible to parry on reaction.
Usually this isn't true with attacks but you can sometimes predict, even guess right for a parry. I've parried those quick attacks with a bit of luck when using the pistol to maintain stun.
This is why I think the only way a ranged parry method has any chance of working is to make it fast on warmup, just as fast as the hypothetical "pocket pistol," but much slower on cooldown. And even then, I may find some serious flaws with this idea if
I've never seen a fast warm-up range attack that causes crumples. It would be silly. You can make it have slow start-up frames which makes it only applicable to crumple on slower attacks. It isn't that complicated.
This is still a different idea entirely from parrying. I'm not sure why long ranged weapons would be necessary against large enemies even in theory, could you explain?
You make large enemies not parryable unless you have the firepower. Huge non-boss enemies in BB already look to not be parryable, you just enforce this as a rule. Except you can use something like a ranged cannon to crumple them. If you get the timing right, heavy crumple to down state, if off just hit stun.
This is similar to your lockup idea, and it works in MGR because that game is focused intensely on parrying. I think it would be a bad fit for Bloodborne for reasons I've already explained.
Trades are fine if they aren't done in a way that hurts the flow of the game. Older games used to have clash systems which would then bait follow-up attacks. It might not fit BB exactly in that way but it could work if tweaked. I personally prefer resets to partials and other options. You didn't succeed and neither did the enemy, so no rewards.
I love minimalist play in action games, but I think it can be taken too far. When a game balances all of its options well and demands that you use them all skillfully, I think that's great design. I think you would enjoy this.
Not bad but I'm favoring much faster pace.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyWZGGzzUII

A future idea I have is to go with the reiterpallasch + evelyn for parry run. Though right now I am all about taking down high HP bosses as quick as possible. And getting shredded with paper armor.
II think you must've misunderstood me there, because I can't make any sense of this reply. Could you explain in more detail?
Just saying that up close trades exist if you are positioned close. So it isn't only a game of parrying attacks from a safe zone.
Here's the video you requested. 9 reaction parry trades (7 fully legitimate, I'll explain in a minute) in a single 2 minute 22 second session against Father Gascoigne's first form, some of them consecutive even.
He is slow and trades are basically just inputs if you are going for them. I don't have videos yet emphasizing parries, but I likely will.

This is my NG+++ cap with Father G. I don't see anything in that video that shows I'm suffering from startup lag with evelyn. I only mistimed some attacks, though honestly I was not shooting for viscerals but hit stun. I even got a trade on his 2nd form, basically because if that was a parry attempt, I was late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNo-OARsYMU
You're correct that trades need close to frame perfect timing, but parrying in general has similar timing windows. By giving parrying a significant warmup period, you squeeze the potential timing for a successful parry into a very small window for many attacks, making trading much more likely.
Trades are more common on attacks with larger windows. This is because the enemy attack will be further in its animation. Slower attacks qualify more. If you are getting such trades, you were slow on the parry. Sometimes "slow" might mean you didn't have clairvoyance, but that's how parrying systems usually are. You can't do perfect RG runs in DMC3 with just reflexes.

I also think that "options are never bad" is a very dangerous mindset.
I've played a lot of action games and sunk many many hours into some of them. The basic idea is that you have to take what you can get. Having the ability to shape a game how you want, nerfing yourself, not using OP crap, is actually a large positive in these games. I do it all the time, it is fun and creates new challenges. Is it ideal? No. You are reacting to questionable design and shaping gameplay towards your own ideals. However, it's a realistic point of view. Even my favorite action games have huge flaws. My favorite would be DMC3 and it has more flaws then other games I really enjoy like NG. NG black is probably the least flawed action game title in existence but it is not my favorite. Flaws will always be there and you are lucky if you have the ability to remove them yourself.

Imagine BB was like Punch Out. Father G could only be killed by parries. Ebrietas could only be killed with arcane, physical damage gave her health. Games pull this shit all the time and thankfully BB doesn't. If the bullshit stacks up too high? Replayability goes out the window and that's way worse then shitty design decisions with a ton of polish.
I view positioning more as something to augment your offensive capabilities than your defense in most cases.
Positioning is always defense first. Attacking adds risk and lowers defense. Even the concept of rush-down is keeping enemy options low and using attacks to strengthen defense. There are other ways to look at it but action games actually emphasize defense over offense if you break it down. Well, the good ones.

Derpot

Perhaps someone noticed this before (if so, sorry for being a slowpoke), but I was wondering about this stump.

466889Bloodborne20150519171439.jpg

It's empty but it's rather similar to the one with the Messengers.

487234Bloodborne20150519171509.jpg

Maybe there will be something with the DLC?

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Cainhurst down! I felt underleveled for this area, but found I could slowly make my way through with the cane as long as I spaced myself carefully and took advantage of viscerals.

I hit a complete brick wall at the boss because of his health and damage output, and thought of trying to explore elsewhere multiple times. But I figured if I could get through the rest of the level okay, then I should be able to take on the boss, right?

So I hacked away at the guy for a few hours and got my shit completely wrecked the whole time, and then suddenly, I realized
you can parry his second phase
and I got this all-stars-suddenly-aligned "did I really just do that?" run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISjxskXUZvE

Probably my most satisfying boss run in this game so far.

J. Bravo

might have been overleveled at 65 but the shadows of yharnam weren't very difficult. like, even doing less dmg i would have pwned them. also why don't I have the rune master trophy. supposedly picking up the communion rune in the room with the machine gun guy just before healing churchworkshop is supposed to give it to you. but i didn't get it :(

Killed Father Gascoigne, how much left? At what percent I am at?

You finally finished the tutorial.

Chalice Dungeon layouts are more fun to explore randomized. The problem is, well, the ones you are required to do aren't.

But yeah the enemies and the bosses are the main draw.

Dont forget the bell maidens spamming spiders, brrrrr

Perhaps someone noticed this before (if so, sorry for being a slowpoke), but I was wondering about this stump.

466889Bloodborne20150519171439.jpg

It's empty but it's rather similar to the one with the Messengers.

487234Bloodborne20150519171509.jpg

Maybe there will be something with the DLC?

Probably but you warp in the graves, there is still one you cant use where the doll prays sometimes

might have been overleveled at 65 but the shadows of yharnam weren't very difficult. like, even doing less dmg i would have pwned them. also why don't I have the rune master trophy. supposedly picking up the communion rune in the room with the machine gun guy just before healing churchworkshop is supposed to give it to you. but i didn't get it :(

You are supposed to defeat them at 35-40, I got the trophy getting the rune in the elevator that sends you that machinegun guy but jumped out the window, it leads you to a rune that can give you the trophy

Cainhurst down! I felt underleveled for this area, but found I could slowly make my way through with the cane as long as I spaced myself carefully and took advantage of viscerals.

I hit a complete brick wall at the boss because of his health and damage output, and thought of trying to explore elsewhere multiple times. But I figured if I could get through the rest of the level okay, then I should be able to take on the boss, right?

So I hacked away at the guy for a few hours and got my shit completely wrecked the whole time, and then suddenly, I realized
you can parry his second phase
and I got this all-stars-suddenly-aligned "did I really just do that?" run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISjxskXUZvE

Probably my most satisfying boss run in this game so far.
Awesome run, congrats. :D
Now you're making me want to go to the Castle and take him on :p
I'm level 60something now.

Speaking of which, since I beat the Shadows and Paarl back to back yesterday, what's the best place to go now? I've unlocked the place past the Forbidden Grave and I've unlocked the first floor of the Lecture Building.

Doomsayer

I killed the
Blood Starved Beast
last night... man, that was a fucking battle. I think I died 10+ times. Super satisfying to finally land that last blow, I think I actually pumped my fist, haha.

I haven't gotten into a game like this in nearly 4+ years. I'm having so much fun.

Should I start doing the Chalice runs now? I'm level 34? I think...

So I think my game glitched. :(

I pushed Djura off the tower and he died, so I headed down to the little courtyard with the smoke and my power went out for a few seconds.

I turned my PS4 back on, and launched the game. Once I was loaded, I was at the top of the tower, right after I killed Djura. I went to the Hunter's Dream, then back to the tower and there wasn't anything there. :(

*edit*
Wait, he doesn't give you anything more than the badge? Lame.

Killed De
filed Watchdog
and A
migdala

I was sweating at the last stretch of the first one, like "oh my god, I'm gonna mess it and die right", feel like an eternity until I saw the opening, he started going all mad with the mutiple bites attacks, and I couldn't see the chance to attack scared as fuck. One of the most intense boss battles of my gamer life.

I pushed Djura off the tower and he died, so I headed down to the little courtyard with the smoke and my power went out for a few seconds.

I turned my PS4 back on, and launched the game. Once I was loaded, I was at the top of the tower, right after I killed Djura. I went to the Hunter's Dream, then back to the tower and there wasn't anything there. :(

*edit*

You also can buy his armor at the messengers.

*edit*

enemies don't drop weapons or armor in this game, they drop badges which are pretty much "licenses" to grab them using blood echoes or insight from the messengers.

Some badges unlock weapons, some will give you armor, some will give you both, and some will unlock random items like bolt paper or poison daggers.

edit: there are also random armor sets you can get after defeating certain enemy hunters, though you don't get badges for them, they just "show up" in the shop after your victory.

enemies don't drop weapons or armor in this game, they drop badges which are pretty much "licenses" to grab them using blood echoes or insight from the messengers.

Some badges unlock weapons, some will give you armor, some will give you both, and some will unlock random items like bolt paper or poison daggers.

edit: there are also random armor sets you can get after defeating certain enemy hunters, though you don't get badges for them, they just "show up" in the shop after your victory.
I know. I just thought he dropped a second item to be able to purchase his armor. Didn't know the badge he gives you while he's friendly allows that once he's dead.

TheBear

I got up to the boss with the cage thing on his head and I ran out of blood vials! The whole game I had a steady supply and I feel like I'm near the end and this happens. Super annoying. Is there a simple way to farm blood vials? How much longer do I have to go?
Also, I keep getting materials for rituals but not the chalices themselves. Am I missing them?

I got up to the boss with the cage thing on his head and I ran out of blood vials! The whole game I had a steady supply and I feel like I'm near the end and this happens. Super annoying. Is there a simple way to farm blood vials? How much longer do I have to go?
Also, I keep getting materials for rituals but not the chalices themselves. Am I missing them?
You could just buy them.
Besides that, I believe Brutes and Executioners drop them easily.

Just did the first chalice. That was so uninteresting and boring :\

How many hours should it roughly take to get to the last chalice for the trophy? Considering just dropping the game now and not bothering with the plat.

MUnited83

For you.

Most effective way of farming for Blood vials (altough since you are in mensis it will probably me more effective to kill enemies and buy vials with the souls) is starting at Central Yharnam. Go to the left(the gate shortcut). Kill the first dude you see, he has chances of dropping blood vials. Enter the house that goes to the big bridge, kill sword dude, might drop vials as well. Go up to the bridge, go kill the werewolfes(they give 3xblood vials each). Then go to the opposite end and kill the giant with the crows. He normally drops 2xblood vial, but in rare occasions drops 4. Then go down again and go to the place before elevator shortcut, where there are two giants. They drop 2xblood vial each(although sometimes they give shining coins instead). Use hunter's mark, rinse and repeat.

Most effective way of farming for Blood vials (altough since you are in mensis it will probably me more effective to kill enemies and buy vials with the souls) is starting at Central Yharnam. Go to the left(the gate shortcut). Kill the first dude you see, he has chances of dropping blood vials. Enter the house that goes to the big bridge, kill sword dude, might drop vials as well. Go up to the bridge, go kill the werewolfes(they give 3xblood vials each). Then go to the opposite end and kill the giant with the crows. He normally drops 2xblood vial, but in rare occasions drops 4. Then go down again and go to the place before elevator shortcut, where there are two giants. They drop 2xblood vial each(although sometimes they give shining coins instead). Use hunter's mark, rinse and repeat.
Hunter's Marks don't reset the area, right? You'd still have to go to the Hunter's Dream and come back, no?

Sorry, it's just that your wording confused me.

Actually, besides maybe adjusting damage values or making the reposte window slightly shorter, parrying is fine. The game was designed with its nuances in mind.
I think I've shown quite a bit of proof that either the game wasn't designed with its nuances in mind, or the attempts to design with it in mind failed in critical ways. Parrying in Bloodborne is highly obtuse, both forgiving and unforgiving in ways that throw it off balance, and it breaks the fundamental risk-reward mechanics that made classic parrying work originally without being a worthy replacement.

Usually this isn't true with attacks but you can sometimes predict, even guess right for a parry. I've parried those quick attacks with a bit of luck when using the pistol to maintain stun.
Once again, luck should have nothing to do with anything in an action game. I don't know what you mean by "using the pistol to maintain stun."

I've never seen a fast warm-up range attack that causes crumples. It would be silly. You can make it have slow start-up frames which makes it only applicable to crumple on slower attacks. It isn't that complicated.
It indeed isn't that complicated: I understand what your proposing and don't agree with it. I explained why by saying it dilutes the idea of parrying, and I still don't see how that wouldn't be the case. Why design a lot of enemy moves to be parryable if you're going to encourage your players to not even try to parry most of them? You say that a quick response parry would require a high level of mastery to use well, and I agree. Players should be pushed towards things that require mastery instead of allowing them to avoid ideas that are critical to the game design. This is another aspect of the Souls design philosophy I admire, but in this case Bloodborne doesn't live up to it. If you want to argue against my personal idea for solving this issue, could you explain why it "would be silly?"

You make large enemies not parryable unless you have the firepower. Huge non-boss enemies in BB already look to not be parryable, you just enforce this as a rule. Except you can use something like a ranged cannon to crumple them. If you get the timing right, heavy crumple to down state, if off just hit stun.
Why does it need to be ranged to perform this function though? If you're still talking about parrying, as in "shooting right as the enemy attacks," then what you're proposing would seemingly work up close as well in theory. If so, it doesn't need to be ranged, right?

Trades are fine if they aren't done in a way that hurts the flow of the game. Older games used to have clash systems which would then bait follow-up attacks. It might not fit BB exactly in that way but it could work if tweaked. I personally prefer resets to partials and other options. You didn't succeed and neither did the enemy, so no rewards.
Trading absolutely hurts the flow of Bloodborne, there's no question. Most of what I've been arguing all along will serve as an explanation for why I think that. A reset on a near miss parry would heavily encourage players to parry because they stand to lose nothing and gain a lot, and I think that would be very harmful to the balance of parrying.

Not bad but I'm favoring much faster pace.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyWZGGzzUII

A future idea I have is to go with the reiterpallasch + evelyn for parry run. Though right now I am all about taking down high HP bosses as quick as possible. And getting shredded with paper armor.
Yeah, that definitely is faster, and you definitely got shredded. I don't want to be rude, but I don't see this as an example of high level play at all. You're getting hit a lot, and it's usually your own fault for attacking wildly or dodging too early. I can empathise with dodging too early, since the dodge warmup lag combined with really fast attack execution times pushes players to anticipate attacks rather than reacting, but getting hit because you continued to attack even as the enemy began its own attack is all on you. You might have been hoping for a poise break in some of those instances, but unfortunately enemy poise is basically impossible to gauge, and that sucks. Even so, I don't think there's much question that that video doesn't show a high level of mastery. It also embodies the "dodge, light attack, dodge, repeat" playstyle I described as boring earlier to a large extent. The Cleric Beast is designed fairly well to counter this playstyle, which keeps it interesting even when that playstyle is employed, but making its head a weakpoint you have to target with guns to take advantage of makes it significantly more interesting (I just wish that idea was better telegraphed to the player). It encourages the player to back off at times, allowing the Beast to express more of its moveset, giving the fight a rhythm and adding an additional wrinkle besides "stay on its ass and hit it whenever possible." I think that's much more interesting.

Just saying that up close trades exist if you are positioned close. So it isn't only a game of parrying attacks from a safe zone.
I think I see what you're saying now. Let me clarify: I didn't mean trading when I said "parrying way too late and still getting a hit with the shot," I meant just getting a hit in general. Trading when you're outside of the enemy's attack range is something that can't happen in actuality, so I'm still confused by what you're saying, but I think I can understand in conceptual terms.

He is slow and trades are basically just inputs if you are going for them. I don't have videos yet emphasizing parries, but I likely will.

This is my NG+++ cap with Father G. I don't see anything in that video that shows I'm suffering from startup lag with evelyn. I only mistimed some attacks, though honestly I was not shooting for viscerals but hit stun. I even got a trade on his 2nd form, basically because if that was a parry attempt, I was late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNo-OARsYMU

Trades are more common on attacks with larger windows. This is because the enemy attack will be further in its animation. Slower attacks qualify more. If you are getting such trades, you were slow on the parry. Sometimes "slow" might mean you didn't have clairvoyance, but that's how parrying systems usually are. You can't do perfect RG runs in DMC3 with just reflexes.
He's slow huh? Gascoigne's heavy overhead attack (example in his video at 0:13) is probably the best one to use to gauge "judged" reaction time since it's visually similar to the first hit in the 3 hit light combo (the one that's physically impossible to parry for humans), and Gascoigne uses it often. My friend's best time for starting the parry is 12 frames into the attack's warmup animation. That's how fast he's capable of seeing the attack, distinguishing it from others that are visually similar, and pressing the parry button. We should also cut off a couple of frames at the beginning of the attack too, since it's completely impossible to distinguish from other attack animations at that point. That means his reaction time is about a third of a second at best. Are you really asking for timings more stringent than that? I'm sure there are people out there that can react faster, but not by a huge amount. A third of a second is already an extremely short time window.

Evelyn, just like the Hunter Pistol, has 9 frames of warmup lag. You're suffering because of that, you just don't know it. That lag, and the buggy hit calculations and unreasonably fast attack execution times, are the entire reason you barely try to parry in the first place. The trade late in the video is actually more bullshit than usual; Gascoigne's jumping attacks have insanely small windows for parrying, and trying to parry from range isn't going to work most of the time because the attack moves him toward you. That's an attack that should've just been made unparryable.

Parry windows can exist both before and after an attack's active period. The more parryable frames before the active period, the easier the attack is to parry. Attacks with substantial parryable frames before their active periods are quite rare. For most attacks, it doesn't matter how fast you are when you're in the attack's range because the parryable frames coincide closely with the attack's active period. This is not a matter of being too slow. And an action game should never, ever require clairvoyance. Memorizing an enemy's moveset and patterns will obviously give you an advantage, but a flawless victory should always be possible in theory. This is the ideal.

I've played a lot of action games and sunk many many hours into some of them. The basic idea is that you have to take what you can get. Having the ability to shape a game how you want, nerfing yourself, not using OP crap, is actually a large positive in these games. I do it all the time, it is fun and creates new challenges. Is it ideal? No. You are reacting to questionable design and shaping gameplay towards your own ideals. However, it's a realistic point of view. Even my favorite action games have huge flaws. My favorite would be DMC3 and it has more flaws then other games I really enjoy like NG. NG black is probably the least flawed action game title in existence but it is not my favorite. Flaws will always be there and you are lucky if you have the ability to remove them yourself.

Imagine BB was like Punch Out. Father G could only be killed by parries. Ebrietas could only be killed with arcane, physical damage gave her health. Games pull this shit all the time and thankfully BB doesn't. If the bullshit stacks up too high? Replayability goes out the window and that's way worse then shitty design decisions with a ton of polish.
I don't like accepting the idea that flaws will always exist, designers should always be striving for perfection, but it doesn't really matter for this conversation. Bloodborne has flaws that I can't correct, and that makes me sad.

I'd hate if Bloodborne had super strict rules like that too, but shitty design decisions with a lot of polish is how I would describe parry trading and quite a bit of other stuff in the game.

Positioning is always defense first. Attacking adds risk and lowers defense. Even the concept of rush-down is keeping enemy options low and using attacks to strengthen defense. There are other ways to look at it but action games actually emphasize defense over offense if you break it down. Well, the good ones.
Positioning has effects on both offense and defense simultaneously, but I would argue in Bloodborne it's usually active on offense and passive on defense. The bit in your Cleric Beast video where you get trapped in a corner (starting around 0:19) is a good example of this. That positioning was probably unintentional, but it put you out of the enemy's reach and allowed you to attack unfettered for a while. Of course, when the enemy was able to reach you again you'd be able to dodge it as long as you weren't already doing something else that had priority. Positioning leads directly to offensive opportunities, while making defense less necessary, at least temporarily. It's less often an active defense in itself, though that does happen. Invincibility frames mean that any attack that doesn't last longer than the invincibility does doesn't need positioning to dodge. Also, rush-down against AI in Bloodborne doesn't really exist. AI enemies' options aren't limited when they're in an arbitrary space, it's all about their positioning relative to you.

Sorry for the long wait between responses. I'll try to be more prompt. I do put work into them though, so they can't come too often :p

TheBear

Thanks for the blood vial farming tips, got plenty now.

Waiting for someone to join me for coop against the cage head guy, should I wait near the lantern or near the boss door? I'm level 62, am I over levelled? Been waiting a while that's all.

Just did the first chalice. That was so uninteresting and boring :\

How many hours should it roughly take to get to the last chalice for the trophy? Considering just dropping the game now and not bothering with the plat.

The mindset of some people is strange to me. I did not care one bit about the platinum, I just wanted to play the game. Getting it was a side product. The Chalice Dungeons are challenging, often fun and give you the best runes/gems (and arguably armor) in the game.

Getting platinum in BB doesn't mean much compared to previous Souls games anyway.

NEO0MJ

The mindset of some people is strange to me. I did not care one bit about the platinum, I just wanted to play the game. Getting it was a side product. The Chalice Dungeons are challenging, often fun and give you the best runes/gems (and arguably armor) in the game.

Getting platinum in BB doesn't mean much compared to previous Souls games anyway.

I don't carer about trophies, but they did seem less fun than the main game. I only cleared the first right now.

Ok I've had this since launch but I'm just now about to get into it. A couple of questions...

How do you kick? I tried to do it the way you did it in the other Souls games (toward+attack) but it didn't work or I was just doing it wrong.

How do you backstab? I would sneak up on an enemy and press R1 but I would just get a normal swing.

Arjen

Ok I've had this since launch but I'm just now about to get into it. A couple of questions...

How do you kick? I tried to do it the way you did it in the other Souls games (toward+attack) but it didn't work or I was just doing it wrong.

How do you backstab? I would sneak up on an enemy and press R1 but I would just get a normal swing.

Kicking is gone.
For a backstab, a charged R2 when behind an enemy performs a backstab. The Dark Souls backstab fishing days are gone ;)

NEO0MJ

Kicking is gone.
For a backstab, a charged R2 when behind an enemy performs a backstab.

It should clarified that it gives you an opportunity to backstab. You still have to press R1 from behind them while they're staggered to backstab.

I don't carer about trophies, but they did seem less fun than the main game. I only cleared the first right now.

Fair enough.
Some parts of the Chalices will get extremely tough. If you don't care about the challenge and/or optimizing your build for PvP, you can skip them. Still, I enjoyed the challenge a lot and recommend going for it if you still got some love for BB left in the tank.

NEO0MJ

Fair enough.
Some parts of the Chalices will get extremely tough. If you don't care about the challenge and/or optimizing your build for PvP, you can skip them. Still, I enjoyed the challenge a lot and recommend going for it if you still got some love for BB left in the tank.

My problem is that I'm in a bit of a rush to finish the game because the PS4 I'm using isn't even my own. Maybe I'll come back to them again when I'm close to finishing the game.

I play Souls games for the world/lore, level design and exploration.

Random rooms filled with enemies is just shitty design to me, and the only reason I want to do them is to get those last trophies, which is why I asked how long they take.

spliced

Yeah I'm not a fan of the Chalice dungeon concept, I'd rather they spent that time making an extra level in the main part of the game.

Top Bottom