• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Man the wi
tch of Henwick
appearing as a regular enemy with 3 respawning minions in some of the root chalice dungeons is such an annoying encounter. The rooms are just too cramped. Majority of time she just drops a pebble as loot.

Trollborne

Man the wi
tch of Henwick
appearing as a regular enemy with 3 respawning minions in some of the root chalice dungeons is such an annoying encounter. The rooms are just too cramped. Majority of time she just drops a pebble as loot.

lol I never knew that was a thing

Just one witch, or two?

KorrZ

Just beat the game for the first time earlier today. The "final" boss was surprisingly easy
Gerhman
his scythe attacks have a massive parry window and I just kept fucking him up.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
yesss YES die fuck god damn

Didn't lure him to the stairs or come anywhere close to cheesing him, just fucking did it. I will be shocked if I really do have more trouble or get more frustrated with any bosses than that fight. It beat out anything I got stuck on in the Souls games. I don't know what it was, just got caught up and it felt like it could be endless. The key the time I won was actually being more aggressive. I usually only Visceraled him once or twice per attempt and on the winning one I got him 5 times, and was using the rune to regen health when doing it.

Didn't lure him to the stairs or come anywhere close to cheesing him, just fucking did it. I will be shocked if I really do have more trouble or get more frustrated with any bosses than that fight. It beat out anything I got stuck on in the Souls games. I don't know what it was, just got caught up and it felt like it could be endless. The key the time I won was actually being more aggressive. I usually only Visceraled him once or twice per attempt and on the winning one I got him 5 times, and was using the rune to regen health when doing it.
Is that the
Chikage hunter
?

So I finally beat
that damn Paarl
. His AoE attack didn't hurt me much, but his physical attacks packed a punch. Now to go back to the FW. -_-

*edit* those three are down too! :D

Got the platinum finally, I hated doing those chalices....

11262472_10155577693880475_1827118346410808123_n.jpg

Yeah by far the hardest hunter to deal, even the chalices hunter are a joke compared to that monster. Congratz!!

Boogdud

Finally finished my first play through. One shot
wet nurse, gehrman and moon presence. With presence I had one vial
feels so good!!

Okay, I'm stuck.

Where do I get killed by
that Amygdala
when I have the
tonsil stone?
I go to
the left when exiting the Grand Cathedral and head down to where the two hunters were. I see there's another path even lower, but then I get to a dead end where there's a giant locked door in a giant room with small circular platform in the center. If I get close to the door, and blue light tries to attack me. Is that it? I only have 37 insight.

Giever

Okay, I'm stuck.

Where do I get killed by
that Amygdala
when I have the
tonsil stone?
I go to
the left when exiting the Grand Cathedral and head down to where the two hunters were. I see there's another path even lower, but then I get to a dead end where there's a giant locked door in a giant room with small circular platform in the center. If I get close to the door, and blue light tries to attack me. Is that it? I only have 37 insight.

That's it.

Okay, I'm stuck.

Where do I get killed by
that Amygdala
when I have the
tonsil stone?
I go to

You have to survive the grab to get teleported

Such a great fight. I would say he's more difficult than most of the bosses on the game.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So yeah, 50 Skill fully upgraded +10 Reiterpallasch with 420-ish (IIRC) attack ratting... it requires multiple whacks from it to kill some of the mobs of Central Yharnam at the beginning of NG+, hahah.

This is going to be fun. And also, the Burial Blade is wickedly cool; however the fact that it cannot be buffed is certainly not in its favor.

Also, while it's fun to kill Amygdala in my previous playthrough *without moving from a single spot at all a few steps beyond the entrance* with 25 Bloodtinge Bone-Ash-marrowed +9 Evelyn plus Bloodtinge gem (it was fucking hilarious; I honestly didn't expect that)--I didn't even swing my weapon once, just shooting at it--I wonder how far can my Evelyn help me on NG+... hmm, we'll see.

You have to survive the grab to get teleported

Not correct; I was low on HP when it happened and the game teleported me regardless, with intact blood echoes I might add. The game just checks whether you have Tonsil Stone or not.

Even the easiest enemy in the game to parry did a much better job avoiding the visceral attacks, lol. Nice job for both you and your coop partner.

Thanks. Yeah, you really should not heal like that if you don't want to die. Grats to the guy for killing Logarius that early, but he obviously is out for killing inexperienced player with this build.

You two ganged up on him, not fair (especially with his reduced HP) :p

Everything is fair in invasions and I don't feel bad with his weapon selection. Also killing multiple people while invading is the most fun thing in Bloodborne PvP, so we gave him that chance ;)

Also invaders have options to really really annoy the host if they want to, so it's not like he was helpless.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Everything is fair in invasions and I don't feel bad with his weapon selection. Also killing multiple people while invading is the most fun thing in Bloodborne PvP, so we gave him that chance ;)

Hahaha, yeah, I understand.

It's just that I always love the Bow/Greet first ritual when PVP-ing in Bloodborne. Extra love when in groups the folks go one and one first with others using the sitting gesture to wait their turn, with of course the host going last as the "boss." That's just wicked cool.

Anyone down to help me with
Gerhman and Moon afterwards
I'm lvl 100. Using the gaf password.

Man, I'd love to help you but I can play like... 6-7 hours from now (I am at work right now).. too bad :(

Hahaha, yeah, I understand.

It's just that I always love the Bow/Greet first ritual when PVP-ing in Bloodborne. Extra love when in groups the folks go one and one first with others using the sitting gesture to wait their turn, with of course the host going last as the "boss." That's just wicked cool.

I guess that works in PvP areas like Mergo Middle, but not really in this situation. Anyway, I feel like I am getting too old for the whole honor thing. I usually just wanna get to the fight. :D

Just beat the final boss
and got the last ending. I used a cloud save to get the first 2 endings last night.
Time to go to the story thread finally and to open up the guide I had since it released haha.

You probably just need to learn timing of attacks then. It eventually becomes more reaction based once you start to get a feel for when damage frames are going to begin.
There are many attacks are so fast that they're pretty much physically impossible to parry on reaction. For example, Father Gascoigne's first hit on his light 3 hit combo has about 15 frames of warmup. Your parry has 9 frames of warmup, plus at least one extra frame for the hit to be detected by the game. In 5 frames, one sixth of a second, you must see the attack, distinguish it from the rest of his moveset, and press the parry button. And that's a best case scenario. Good luck.

You don't want to adjust cool-downs for mid-range. It will damage the flow of the game. And I'm not sure you are understanding my proposed design. By making mid-range parries have a slower start-up (which is pretty much equivalent to BB) and slower shots, you remove the ability to parry quick attacks. This makes mid-range less advantageous. However, you don't have to play cat & mouse, making battles twice as long due to losing parrying ability. You can choose to use close-range weapons which can parry anything but you raise the risk/reward.
Here's the basic reason why I'm very wary of making parrying at range an option at all: basically, it dilutes the idea of parrying. A parrying option that's too slow to react to many attacks makes parrying less of a factor, period, because you simply can't use it in as many contexts. This is why I think the only way a ranged parry method has any chance of working is to make it fast on warmup, just as fast as the hypothetical "pocket pistol," but much slower on cooldown. And even then, I may find some serious flaws with this idea if I think it through enough. I'll get back to you on this one if you can't poke holes in it yourself.

Long range attacks would be for punishing large enemies and crumpling them if timed right. They would not be redundant. You could make short & mid-range lose parries (the game already has no parryable enemies) on these enemies, making gun choice more emphasized.

I said enemies, not bosses.
You said large enemies, which I interpreted as bosses (using shots on the Cleric Beast's head or the cannon on the heads of Amygdala or Ebrietas came to mind for examples of needing a ranged weapon for crumples). This is still a different idea entirely from parrying. I'm not sure why long ranged weapons would be necessary against large enemies even in theory, could you explain?

It is a very forgiving system. Large parrying windows, multiple ranges, and a lot of possible attacks to counter. It makes parrying systems in other action games look impossible.
I've already explained why I think it's both highly unforgiving in critical ways, and too forgiving in others. I think that Metal Gear Rising is an example of a game that's far more forgiving with a similar parrying idea; it doesn't even punish you for parrying extremely early, it just rewards you for timing it right and only punishes for being late. This is similar to your lockup idea, and it works in MGR because that game is focused intensely on parrying. I think it would be a bad fit for Bloodborne for reasons I've already explained.

It's my personal preference to mess around with this play style, it's not mandated or even efficient. I'm also running 170 physical protection as opposed to close to 300. Which could be called foolish.

Give it a shot. It is far more challenging, especially using difficult to handle weapons like the cane or BoM. It's certainly not efficient or safe.
I love minimalist play in action games, but I think it can be taken too far. When a game balances all of its options well and demands that you use them all skillfully, I think that's great design. I think you would enjoy this.

That's not true. You can trade up close or at mid-range.
I think you must've misunderstood me there, because I can't make any sense of this reply. Could you explain in more detail?

It isn't and your theory that you could trigger these trades often, making parrying less of a risk isn't right either. Try to chain trades in any fight and capture it. It just won't happen. Trading is much rarer then a proper parry or miss. It's basically a just input. And it isn't better nor worse then a partial trade system. To me partial trades don't make much sense as the only result and you could also combine the two, it's just a change in animation. Or you could go further having true trades cancel as well as advantage to quicker strikes. That would require 60fps.
Here's the video you requested. 9 reaction parry trades (7 fully legitimate, I'll explain in a minute) in a single 2 minute 22 second session against Father Gascoigne's first form, some of them consecutive even. This is my friend actively trying to parry every attack possible on reaction (the two trades on attacks coming out of rolls starting at 0:16 are predictions he couldn't stop himself from making, this video actually required some discipline from him because the game conditions you to twitch parry and pray, and that roll attack is an attack that's so fast it's impossible to actually read). Notice how the dragging upward strike is the only attack he's able to cleanly parry; that's because it's the only attack during this form that has enough warmup to consistently parry on reaction with the warmup parries have. There are definitely mistakes in there too, but I think it illustrates my point. If you need explanations of any of the events in the video, just ask.

You're correct that trades need close to frame perfect timing, but parrying in general has similar timing windows. By giving parrying a significant warmup period, you squeeze the potential timing for a successful parry into a very small window for many attacks, making trading much more likely. The issues with aspects of hit consequences occurring with inconsistent timing push it further into being common. It has been my experience that trading happens rather often, much more often than feels fair, and to restate I think that ultimately trading is just a bad concept in general.

I may be misunderstanding you, but I don't see how trades and partial parries could be combined, they're very different ideas with very different consequences. I don't know what you mean with "Or you could go further having true trades cancel as well as advantage to quicker strikes."

I believe most of your ideas make a game you want to play but the only way to play it. Many people want to play the game how they like and options are never bad. I like having the ability to do what some would call silly, nerfing a bunch of options. I also like being able to abuse parrying or not use it at all. I see a lot of people doing higher NG runs just buffing weapons with abusable items, chain parrying, and whacking with silly long range weapons. Is that a way I enjoy playing? No, but I don't have to. You want to remove these people's play-style and not make compromises to different designs. Every action game that is great always have great options. I believe BB to be a great game because it satisfies this idea. I wouldn't buy into your narrow definition of how to play the game, constraining the design, since it hurts replay-ability for me personally. There are always ways to design a combat system that everyone will enjoy.
Very interesting. I appreciate you making your ideals clear, discourse on this level about games is very enjoyable and educational. Like I said earlier in this post, I love minimalist play, and you clearly have passion for it as well. I think that's great. I also think that "options are never bad" is a very dangerous mindset. You yourself stop just short of calling several options broken in that quote, and I actually agree with your judgments there; your dislike for them is totally justified. Were most offensive projectile spells in the Souls games interesting? I don't think so, and I think you'd agree. Were they overpowered? Certainly. Did they match the fundamental spirit of the game? I don't think so at all. The Souls games and Bloodborne are crazy mishmashes of mechanics that support their fundamental ideals and ones that don't, but Bloodborne was a serious attempt to cut away a ton of the superfluous options from the Souls formula. I admire that greatly, and I'm very sad that it has so many flaws in the end that keep it from being that perfectly polished expression of the ideals of Souls

Replayability is the only real argument you make for badly designed options being a good thing, and I'd encourage you to really think about that and figure out whether it's truly worth it. Endless replayability is achieved through great design, not sheer volume of options or content (the Chalice Dungeons are an example of this being proven I believe, and I'm very happy to see the broad dislike for them on this forum). Making a great game, just like any great piece of art, is also accepting that it can't be all things to all people; you need a particular vision to design something that stands up to scrutiny at all, let alone something that lasts for long periods of time (something like Minecraft may appear to be an exception to this, but Minecraft is much more a host for countless activites including the game of basebuilding and survival commonly called "Minecraft," there are many other examples of "games" like this I'm sure).

I know that's a lot to take in, and you may not agree with parts or even most of it, but I think any further discussion between us should focus specifically on the mechanics, both actual and hypothetical, of Bloodborne, rather than delving into broad game philosophy like this. I enjoy talking about these things a great deal (maybe even too much), and I think there's a lot that can be learned by discussing it, but it will almost certainly infect the more fact-based parts of our discussion and make argument much more difficult. I felt that an expression of ideals like the one you gave deserved one in turn, and I hope that what I've said helps you understand my perspective a bit better.

*looks at vid* your friend is standing right in front of Gascoinge because he wanted to test trading timings, right? Because that's not how you want to parry (unless that is the only way to parry with blunderbuss, a weapon that isn't supposed to be as good for parrying as hunter pistol (I believe blunderbuss is for stagger or something like that)).

As long as you are trying to play the parry game like Dark Souls, you're going to get trades. You have a gun for parrying, not a shield.

Also, if there is an attack that is literally impossible to parry no matter how good your timing is, 95% of the time there is going to be an attack that follows up after that. Just wait for the first attack, parry the second. In fact, that was a strat against
Gwyn
in Dark Souls.

Robiin

Just beat the final boss
and got the last ending. I used a cloud save to get the first 2 endings last night.
Time to go to the story thread finally and to open up the guide I had since it released haha.
Yo, I need some help with that! I'm gonna do the cloud save trick as well, but I need some help. Can you like take me through it step by step? Or anyone? I havent really been through the cloud save settings since I got my PS4.

Yo, I need some help with that! I'm gonna do the cloud save trick as well, but I need some help. Can you like take me through it step by step? Or anyone? I havent really been through the cloud save settings since I got my PS4.

To get your save data from your console to the cloud:
Setting-Application Saved Data management-Save data in System Storage-Upload to Online Storage-pick bloodborne-yes to overwrite previous cloud save if ya have one

To get cloud save to your console:
Instead of "Save data in System Storage" just pick Save data in online storage and its the same.

*looks at vid* your friend is standing right in front of Gascoinge because he wanted to test trading timings, right? Because that's not how you want to parry (unless that is the only way to parry with blunderbuss, a weapon that isn't supposed to be as good for parrying as hunter pistol (I believe blunderbuss is for stagger or something like that)).

As long as you are trying to play the parry game like Dark Souls, you're going to get trades. You have a gun for parrying, not a shield.

Also, if there is an attack that is literally impossible to parry no matter how good your timing is, 95% of the time there is going to be an attack that follows up after that. Just wait for the first attack, parry the second. In fact, that was a strat against
Gwyn
in Dark Souls.

The blunderbuss is actually better at parrying than the pistol in most cases; it has the same amount of warmup lag but its spread makes it more likely to connect. The only downside is a bit more cooldown lag.

Yeah, Bloodborne's parrying is different from Souls; the way it encourages you to parry is to be out of the enemy's attack range in the first place. That sucks, and the fact that it sucks is one of the big points I've been arguing. Trades also suck, period, so saying "you should avoid them" isn't good enough.

An attack that is literally impossible to parry on reaction because of its speed is pretty much a terrible idea period, as this also makes it likely impossible to dodge (dodging has significant warmup lag as well, but I'd need special equipment to test exactly how much). Giving an enemy a move like that is just encouraging players to constantly stay out of their range and be as conservative in their playstyle as possible (because you never know when the enemy will bust out that ridiculous unparryable, undodgeable move), and it pretty much breaks fundamental tenets of action game design (always give the player means to avoid damage). Again, you're sidestepping the real issue here. Parrying, and the relationship enemies have to it, needs a full redesign.

Yeah, Bloodborne's parrying is different from Souls; the way it encourages you to parry is to be out of the enemy's attack range in the first place.
Why is this bad? You're not parrying for the defensive aspect of it, you're parrying to open for a visceral. If you need to quickly defend yourself from an attack and don't care if it's a parry or not, usually the gun will just cancel the attack if it hits during start up frames (unless it's an enemy with super armor, which usually those enemies have very easy to parry attacks to begin with) just like how if you just want to not get hit in Dark Souls, you just keep holding up the shield instead of pressing the parry button.

An attack that is literally impossible to parry on reaction because of its speed is pretty much a terrible idea period, as this also makes it likely impossible to dodge (dodging has significant warmup lag as well, but I'd need special equipment to test exactly how much).
100% of the time if an attack is impossible to dodge, it's because of bad positioning or unlucky circumstances. The iframes on dodging are supposed to augment good positioning, not act as a substitute.

Why is this bad? You're not parrying for the defensive aspect of it, you're parrying to open for a visceral. If you need to quickly defend yourself from an attack and don't care if it's a parry or not, usually the gun will just cancel the attack if it hits during start up frames (unless it's an enemy with super armor, which usually those enemies have very easy to parry attacks to begin with) just like how if you just want to not get hit in Dark Souls, you just keep holding up the shield instead of pressing the parry button.

100% of the time if an attack is impossible to dodge, it's because of bad positioning or unlucky circumstances. The iframes on dodging are supposed to augment good positioning, not act as a substitute.
It's bad because it allows parrying with much less or no risk, and risk is the whole reason parrying exists. You're betting you can get the timing precisely right, or you're going to be punished.

The fact that you mention "unlucky circumstances" is pretty telling here. Luck should have nothing to do with anything in an action game, and attacks that are impossible to respond to chosen by a pseudo-random AI are a matter of luck in large part. I view positioning more as something to augment your offensive capabilities than your defense in most cases. You want to get at a good angle to attack, but you should be able to respond to an enemy's offense in some way regardless of where you are relative to them (as long as you're not held up by animation priority you yourself initiated). Otherwise you get "unlucky" situations where you're just screwed because the AI chose something completely unavoidable (Smough's bulldozer attack comes to mind here, he does that when you're in certain positions in the arena and, well, too bad). When people talk about why they love these games, the idea that they're "tough but fair" comes up a lot. I really want the games to fully live up to that standard.

We'll have to just agree to disagree. You seem to want to talk about game design philosophy, while I just want to give advice on how to parry properly.

As for unlucky circumstances, I meant from getting in a bad spot among multiple enemies (which can be prevented, but for the most part getting ganged on in a corner is the only way to get true stunlocked), not stuff a single enemy does.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I don't really understand the "tough but fair" comments that Bloodborne gets.

Sometimes the game really goes out of its way to fucks you up unfairly, hahaha.

It's just a game that asks you how you can beat those odds. "Tough but fair"? Yeahhh no. At least not at all times.

We'll have to just agree to disagree. You seem to want to talk about game design philosophy, while I just want to give advice on how to parry properly.

As for unlucky circumstances, I meant from getting in a bad spot among multiple enemies (which can be prevented, but for the most part getting ganged on in a corner is the only way to get true stunlocked), not stuff a single enemy does.

Yes, I'm talking philosophy, but I'm trying to keep it practical. If you're not trying to argue that parrying's fine as it is in Bloodborne, ok.

I'm saying that "unlucky circumstances" can exist even outside of that particular scenario. Would you disagree? Mob encounters in action games where positioning matters are a tough issue. Resident Evil 4 is probably still the best template around for that idea, in terms of how it manages its AI and ensures that the player is aware of all threats, even those that aren't visible. Bloodborne could definitely learn a thing or three from it.

I won't be able to post again for some time after this, but if you want to reply, go ahead. I'll get back to you.

Robiin

To get your save data from your console to the cloud:
Setting-Application Saved Data management-Save data in System Storage-Upload to Online Storage-pick bloodborne-yes to overwrite previous cloud save if ya have one

To get cloud save to your console:
Instead of "Save data in System Storage" just pick Save data in online storage and its the same.
Thanks man! Just did it no problem. First time I fought
Gehrman
he was really difficult, big sigh of relief when I actually did it and walked away with two vials and zero bullets (which was still the first try!). Then I went for the three cords ending, which was the second time I fought him, and I only used three vials and like ten bullets. At least that means I got better at reading him. Actually the
Moon Precense
gave me more trouble. Couldn't figure out what made me unable to heal.

At least I can say that I have beaten the game. Still want to get the platinum, but the chalice dungeons are not fun for me. And with The Witcher being out now, and Smash still taking my time, I don't know if I can motivate myself to do it.

SxP

Two months later, I finally beat the game. Beat both G
ehrman
and the M
oon
P
resence
on my first try.

G
ehrman
was a lot easier than I thought. All of his attacks are super easy to dodge, which just makes it a question of not being greedy. He's also relatively slow in his recovery after an attack, which makes it possible to fight very safe. Especially in his
sword
phase, you can just dodge diagonally towards him, and keep dodging even without seeing him attack. If it turns out that dodge wasn't necessary, you still have plenty of time to hit him.

M
oon
P
resence
was almost trivial. Another boss that does not respond well to getting behind it, hitting it once or twice and then immediately backing off. Rinse repeat, lay down the hurt after its 1HP blast, done.

Overall, it's right up there with Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Never played Dark Souls 2, but I'll wait a little before I'll pick that up. Some other games (The Witcher 3) have priority now.

Actually, besides maybe adjusting damage values or making the reposte window slightly shorter, parrying is fine. The game was designed with its nuances in mind.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I mean yes, if you are going into the Depth 1 chalice dungeons at level 100+ then you should have no issues clearing the place out quickly.

However, to me overleveled basically means that you are a tank. That never happens in Bloodborne. There isn't a whole lot of difference between a level 75 character and a level 125 character. The level 125 character might survive an extra hit or two, and kill the boss in a hit or two less.

I just saw this a few pages back and I want to respond.

To say there isn't a whole lot of difference between a level 75 and 125 is just simply not true. Leveling up your characters can and does make a difference--a HUGE difference even--on the difficulty of the boss, especially at 50 levels difference that you're suggesting (WTF?) and also since visceral damage is calculated based on your levels, and a level 80-90-ish character can easily *halved* a Boss' HP--for example Amygdala--with just *one* successful visceral.

Level difference makes a difference, let alone a 50 levels--the difference is staggering with that kind of leeway.

Top Bottom