• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

MUnited83

For you.
What level you guys think it's recommended to finish the chalice dungeons for the platinum? I'm at level 66 and I'd like to stay this way but I fear the last few chalice might be too hard.

Minamu

What level you guys think it's recommended to finish the chalice dungeons for the platinum? I'm at level 66 and I'd like to stay this way but I fear the last few chalice might be too hard.
Depends on your stats and skills. Me personally had quite some trouble even at level 150ish so you know. Even with Vitality 40+, several bosses can easily one-shot you near the end. 66 is way too low imho but might work for some of the earlier dungeons.

gunbo13

https://youtu.be/EVtaUeNYEeI

My rom no level up run. This should be a prime example of why you shouldn't kill spiders. I didn't have to deal with meteors because I was all up in dat ass. First attempt kill!
That's pretty good. I'm going to go after him this time around and ignore the spiders as well. I need to in order to get a quick kill.

The vid also shows how important weapons are in this title vs stats. You still are doing a damn amount of damage with no levels. And the enemies don't really hit that hard to be honest on first go around. I'd like to see no level NG+. :)

Ferr986

66 is gonna be rough in depth 4/5 under you're really good at SL1 runs.

I completed it at 120 myself (40 vit).

Oppo

Ok GAF I need advice.

I just finished my first playthrough the other night. I did it blind. Didn't look up anything. Also did it all offline.

I am now looking stuff up for a 2nd playthrough. First ended with a dude with Threaded Cane (+9), and later Blade of Mercy (+10 at end), which I quite enjoyed. Also used Repeating Pistol (+8) and Hunter's Torch (+8) throughout. Think I ended around level 105? Somehow got the ending where
I became a new Great One? Fought "Moon Presence" last?

I somehow missed, I think, 2 of the quest lines. I spoke to Eileen and lots of other chars early but it didn't work out, not sure what I missed. Ended up with a Vileblood covenant because of this, even though I was offline and I probably missed out on something...

I'm just wondering what a good method would be to do another pass with a new char. I want to maybe to a char with a main Chikage or Tonitrus. And pick up trophies I missed. Got most of them but only did half of the chalice dungeons, and missed E
brietas
somehow as well.

Sayah

Loving this game so far. In the forest area now. So many pathways. Not sure which to take, haha.

I love the faster pace of the gameplay but I also preferred having a shield like in previous Souls games.

My only major gripes include:

-Framerate issues in some areas
-Lacking number of interesting NPCs. Knocking on doors isn't my preferred way of interacting either.
-On four separate occasions, I've seen enemies I kill completely disappear through the ground. Could have used those blood vials, haha.

I'm just wondering what a good method would be to do another pass with a new char. I want to maybe to a char with a main Chikage or Tonitrus. And pick up trophies I missed. Got most of them but only did half of the chalice dungeons, and missed E
brietas
somehow as well.

What do you mean by good method? You mean trying out new builds?

66 is gonna be rough in depth 4/5 under you're really good at SL1 runs.

I completed it at 120 myself (40 vit).

I'm level 60 and managed to reach Lower Loran Dungeon. Was rough beating the Abhorrent Beast but I succeeded in the end. I think I can complete Lower Loran with my level 60 character (and all that with only a Threaded Cane +9).

We'll see about the other required dungeons.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Boyfriend: I tried your new PS4-thing while you were out
Me: oh? Cool, what did you play?
Boyfriend: There was a game in there called Bloodborne
Me: ....
Boyfriend: I didn't know what to do
Me: .... did you start a new character?
Boyfriend: I just went to Continue
Me: and what happened?
Boyfriend: I ran around and died, then turned it off.
Me: we're never having sex again.
He sounds dumb. You should break up with him.

1. I do not believe high level play exists in From games outside possibly PvP. There isn't enough depth, player importance, and most importantly, speed.
  2. I don't have any interest in the uber From games PVE community. My days of investing countless hours polishing mechanics of action games are pretty much over. And that was with the holy trinity titles.
  3. The parrying system in BB is perfectly suitable. It is also quite forgiving and I'm happy with it.
Your first point is pretty strange. If the game is shallow, why do you continue to play it? Why are you making the videos that you're posting? That's strange isn't it? The second point is an extension of the first. The third you don't even try to support, while I've been trying to provide evidence of the opposite of that point all along.

Look, I at least posted a video to directly counter one of your points specifically. It's not uncommon to trade with a parry when you're in the range of the attack you're trying to parry. Could you please reciprocate? I gave you a specific request in my last post to give you the chance to prove your point. Having you accept my request and proving me wrong or accepting that I'm right on that particular matter would be some satisfaction at least.

Finally beat
Rom
! Took me three tries. Also, I beat
cheesed the Chikage hunter
. I wasn't going to go through the hassle of actually fighting fair and square, lol

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Quick question about covenants in this game. I recently beat
Logarius
, so I can talk to the
Vileblood covenant queen lady
, and I hear I can buy the Chikage from her. I'm interested in the weapon but not the covenant.

Can I join the covenant, get the weapon, and then leave it without punishment?

Quick question about covenants in this game. I recently beat
Logarius
, so I can talk to the
Vileblood covenant queen lady
, and I hear I can buy the Chikage from her. I'm interested in the weapon but not the covenant.

Can I join the covenant, get the weapon, and then leave it without punishment?
You can
switch between covenants whenever you want without penalty

gunbo13

Your first point is pretty strange. If the game is shallow, why do you continue to play it? Why are you making the videos that you're posting?
I share the videos with some friends of mine and anyone here is free to check them out. The same sharing as everyone else. It's not honed 10k hours play but it's a little different, at least I believe so. The game isn't shallow, it has quite a bit of depth. But I don't believe high level play exists without more emphasis on the player. It's quite a slow title which is easily exploitable. You'll get your normal range of speed runs and no damage, etc... But almost all games qualify for that. BB only scales so much.

I play it cause it is fun. And I said my keep regarding my thoughts on the game, mechanics, etc... I don't have much more to say and honestly don't recall what the discussion is about.

Finally beat
Rom
! Took me three tries. Also, I beat
cheesed the Chikage hunter
. I wasn't going to go through the hassle of actually fighting fair and square, lol

Makes you feel better, the
bloody crow of cainhurst
is a cheap fight since he doesnt "follow" the same rules as you do.
He has unlimited healing, bullets, stamina.

Not sure if anyone here bit on that lithograph from the Playstation gear store, but I got mine today! Looks real nice, even if I'm not a huge fan of the "Welcome home, hunter" at the bottom. Mine was numbered 8/300.

Makes you feel better, the
bloody crow of cainhurst
is a cheap fight since he doesnt "follow" the same rules as you do.
He has unlimited healing, bullets, stamina.
Yeah, I noticed. That asshole. Was he also dressed like
Eileen
? Looked like a similar outfit.

The first time I died against him was because I slipped up and got too close and he shot me twice with his pistol. Two hit kill.

I share the videos with some friends of mine and anyone here is free to check them out. The same sharing as everyone else. It's not honed 10k hours play but it's a little different, at least I believe so. The game isn't shallow, it has quite a bit of depth. But I don't believe high level play exists without more emphasis on the player. It's quite a slow title which is easily exploitable. You'll get your normal range of speed runs and no damage, etc... But almost all games qualify for that. BB only scales so much.

I play it cause it is fun. And I said my keep regarding my thoughts on the game, mechanics, etc... I don't have much more to say and honestly don't recall what the discussion is about.
So no response to my specific request?
Parry the first hit of Gascoigne's 3 hit light combo in his first form with a judged reaction multiple times (at least 3) in a single video.

gunbo13

So no response to my specific request?
Oh haha. Maybe I'll give it a shot in NG+4. If they are even parryable, I'm not even sure.

EDIT:
Oh judged reaction? Probably not possible, especially with 30hz polling. I can get lucky baiting them if you want to count that.
I think this challenge misses the point. Best way to parry combos is to recognize they're going to throw out another attack. It's about intuitiveness, not one frame reactions.
Yep. As much as I want to appease the you can parry mostly everything idea, that doesn't mean it makes much sense to unless that is all you are interested in.

Oh judged reaction? Probably not possible, especially with 30hz polling.
Exactly. You said my friend was "too slow," and that was the reason this wouldn't be possible. Now you've acknowledged that it isn't possible regardless.
I think this challenge misses the point. Best way to parry combos is to recognize they're going to throw out another attack. It's about intuitiveness, not one frame reactions.
This isn't what I'm arguing about. Gunbo13 claimed that the reason this attack was unparryable with a judged reaction for my friend was that he was simply too slow. I am only refuting that particular claim, though I think what you're bringing up is just more evidence that elements of the game are poorly designed, and I've already responded to it indirectly in other posts.

gunbo13

Exactly. You said my friend was "too slow," and that was the reason this wouldn't be possible. Now you've acknowledged that it isn't possible regardless.
Your friend was trying to trigger trades. And on almost all of the trades, it was due to a slow response (purposeful or not). I never said it was possible to parry every attack on reaction, though it still might be, difficult to tell.

Your friend was trying to trigger trades. And on almost all of the trades, it was due to a slow response (purposeful or not). I never said it was possible to parry every attack on reaction, though it still might be, difficult to tell.
Your point was that the reason the trades were happening at all was that he was slow. That implies that those attacks should be parryable with a judged reaction without trading in theory. I want you to prove that.

Having to mix up your parry timing once in awhile is bad design now? Really?
I have no idea how you got that point from any of my arguments. Of course every enemy attack is going to have different timing to parry properly.

On my 3rd character at the moment and somehow this game becomes MORE fun with each playthrough. I am not the kind of guy who plays through a game multiple times, this is crazy.
Best Souls game for me.

Also against the trend I am absolutely loving the Chalice Dungeons. Sure, they could be better designed, but it is basically leveling up your character without actually leveling up. It's awesome.

66 is totally doable if you wanna challenge yourself. I hope you put a lot in VIT though.

Man I'm not sure what to do currently. I can either hit Castle Cainhurst, Byrgenwerth or finish the Central Pthumeru Chalice Dungeon. At level 66 I breezed through the first two layers, got better with the BoM in the process. They're a legit fun dangerous ass weapon, took out both the bosses with it, god this game is fun.

Man I'm not sure what to do currently. I can either hit Castle Cainhurst, Byrgenwerth or finish the Central Pthumeru Chalice Dungeon. At level 66 I breezed through the first two layers, got better with the BoM in the process. They're a legit fun dangerous ass weapon, took out both the bosses with it, god this game is fun.

Lower Pthumeru is where it starts to get interesting, difficulty wise.

Oh god, I'm on a Bloodborne "hiatus". Logarius is just mopping the floor with me. I came close a couple of times, but eventually my battles with him exhausted my stock of blood vials so now I feel like I should go back and grind a bit more and level up my stamina (something I felt like I didn't have enough of during the fight).

Probably going to use The Witcher as my temporary reprieve. I have the guide, and it's always quite helpful, but I feel like I'm just not playing at that level at the moment. Tried summoning help with the bell but never got a response and didn't feel like waiting.

Toxi

Banned
Just beat Logarius for the first time without using parries. Feels much more fun actually learning his moveset for the second half of the fight.

Close to platinum; I only have one more ending to go.

LiK

You'll want to double that level and I'm not even kidding.

Feindflug

Started NG+ yesterday and killed Cleric Beast, Father G, Vicar Amelia and the Witches in one go. I am destroying everything but I'm lvl 150 and I'm mainly using a +10 Threaded Cane with some pretty good gems attached so I shouldn't be surprised, I got the Tonsil Stone so I'm going to Nightmare Frontier next for some PvP action.

Anybody know if bolt gems affect tonitrus buff?

Yes they do.

Feindflug

Nice. I wonder if having 40 arcane gives it more dps during buff than just putting another physical gem on it.

I doubt it since it's Arcane scaling even at +10 is D. High level nourishing radial gems and odd bolt waning gems (assuming you have the regular Tonitrus) is your best bet I think but these kind of gems are pretty rare and difficult to farm. Tonitrus is an awesome weapon but it's the most difficult in terms of high-end gem customization IMO.

That's seems very ambitious.. Defiled dungeon is going to kick your ass and every single enemy will probably be able to one shot you. I wouldn't recommend going in under level 100.

Soulhouf

First time I beat it level 62. I struggled in some areas like the Defiled chalice but it ended up being fine.
So if you're confident in your build and ability you can do it at level 66 no problem.

Top Bottom