• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Sorry if this has been answered but is the 'memory leak' bug actually caused by using suspend/resume?

I always use suspend/resume and I have not encountered an 'easy' boss or one that's stuck using a few of its moves. Looking online at videos the bosses I have defeated have all been as difficult as they should be.

Ethelwulf

So I just finished the game! First From game here. I killed
Gehrman
in my first try! What a ride of a game. Truly a masterpiece! Took me 80hrs+. Might write a thread just to cover my thoughts, specially as a newcomer who plays FPS all the time.

So I just finished the game! First From game here. I killed
Gehrman
in my first try! What a ride of a game. Truly a masterpiece! Took me 80hrs+. Might write a thread just to cover my thoughts, specially as a newcomer who plays FPS all the time.
I would actually love to hear the thoughts of someone who is primarily an FPS player on how the learning experience was, and how you think FPS skills translated to Bloodborne skills.

Finally picked up bloodborne, and just have a quick question. Do secret walls/doors work the same as Dark Souls? As in press x to open or hit w/ a weapon?

gunbo13

Oh god, I'm on a Bloodborne "hiatus". Logarius is just mopping the floor with me. I came close a couple of times, but eventually my battles with him exhausted my stock of blood vials so now I feel like I should go back and grind a bit more and level up my stamina (something I felt like I didn't have enough of during the fight)
Some tips when you get back to it.

1. You can parry all his physical attacks. And they are quite slow except for some of his swipes.
  2. You can dash through his skull attack if you have decent angles.
  3. His slow star projectile attack is clunky. A few side dodges and you are out of range.
  4. The real fun starts with his second form. Hide behind the brick structures to avoid getting hit.
  5. Dodge his airborne charge and counter.
There really isn't much else to him.
I would actually love to hear the thoughts of someone who is primarily an FPS player on how the learning experience was, and how you think FPS skills translated to Bloodborne skills.
Probably pretty well. All modern FPS has you hiding from jam, BB is pretty much the same.

Auctopus

Vaati' dropped his 'Bloodborne Story Explained' video.

Already turned off by the title as it sounds like he think he has it completely figured out. Will watch when I'm home.

ElFly

Maaaan, I just wrecked
Ebrietas
last night.

In my first playthrough, it was my most hated boss, taking dozens of attempts, where I got killed by her bullshitty tentacles or spell.

Now, I came back with a Hunter Axe, sat under her head and just hit her over and over and she died in no time. She didn't even get time to do her dumb instakill spell.

Go cry to your daddy.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Man I'm not sure what to do currently. I can either hit Castle Cainhurst, Byrgenwerth or finish the Central Pthumeru Chalice Dungeon. At level 66 I breezed through the first two layers, got better with the BoM in the process. They're a legit fun dangerous ass weapon, took out both the bosses with it, god this game is fun.

I've only tried Cainhurst out of the three things you mentioned (I have no idea waht Byrgenwerth even is), but I really enjoyed it, so maybe go check it out. The area looks and feels awesome, and the boss is a fun fight. The level really solidified my love for the Threaded Cane and the boss made me learn how to use the BoM a bit better.

The boss wiped the floor with me for a few hours before I took him down, but it felt awesome to beat him.

Do people like the closed BoM? I always find myself using the closed version because I like parrying and the charged attack too much to use the two-handed version a lot, but I always feel like I'm doing it wrong when I do that because the BoM is just a short sword if you don't two-hand it.

Arjen

Vaati' dropped his 'Bloodborne Story Explained' video.

Already turned off by the title as it sounds like he think he has it completely figured out. Will watch when I'm home.

I think it's very well done, best one on bloodborne lore I've seen so far.

gunbo13

Do people like the closed BoM? I always find myself using the closed version because I like parrying and the charged attack too much to use the two-handed version a lot, but I always feel like I'm doing it wrong when I do that because the BoM is just a short sword if you don't two-hand it.
Two-hand is where the power comes. Your number of hits scale, so with a full endurance bar I hit 5000+ damage. It's the attack speed that makes BoM so deadly.

benjammin

Sorry if this has been answered but is the 'memory leak' bug actually caused by using suspend/resume?

I always use suspend/resume and I have not encountered an 'easy' boss or one that's stuck using a few of its moves. Looking online at videos the bosses I have defeated have all been as difficult as they should be.

I believe that was patched in 1.03?

LiK

Bad advise. Don't ruin your character for Pvp. 50-80 if you are ballsy, 90-100 to play it safe. 100+ is boring.

PVP sucks in this game so if he wants to play that, just make an alt. he looks like he wants to do the Chalice dungeons and the lower ones are gonna be a bitch for him if he's under 100.

Akuun

Two-hand is where the power comes. Your number of hits scale, so with a full endurance bar I hit 5000+ damage. It's the attack speed that makes BoM so deadly.

Maybe it's just because I have low stamina at the moment then. I'm like level 46 at the moment with 20 endurance, so while I've seen a glimpse of the damage I can do two-handed, I usually don't have the stamina to get more than a few of the fast swipes in before I have to duck back out.

mattp

Maybe it's just because I have low stamina at the moment then. I'm like level 46 at the moment with 20 endurance, so while I've seen a glimpse of the damage I can do two-handed, I usually don't have the stamina to get more than a few of the fast swipes in before I have to duck back out.

yeah without stamina, the blades are probably not gonna be very useful for you

Akuun

yeah without stamina, the blades are probably not gonna be very useful for you

Yeah, so far it's just been a really fast short sword to me, which served me well for Logarius but I usually default to the cane in almost all other cases.

burgerdog

Never in a million years would I have imagined that the one reborn would be the road block in my no level run. I feel slightly better knowing that enb is stuck on him, too.

Amazing. Love it.

I didn't even know you could witness their cutscene as an invader.

Lol yeah ! When i realize that, i had that "techno montage" scene in my head already xD. That why i tried SO HARD to get as many people possible xD.

Happy you loved it ! My "none-bloodborne" friend had trouble understanding wtf was going on. Lol but im glad to see bloodborne fan get it fast!

Don't be shy to share anywhere! Posting the same day as Vaati :(, i'm in trouble i think haha!

gunbo13

That would be the case. You need to be able to get a good 5+ hits in & enough stamina to dodge or you won't be getting much scaling.

benjammin

Some tips when you get back to it.

1. You can parry all his physical attacks. And they are quite slow except for some of his swipes.
  2. You can dash through his skull attack if you have decent angles.
  3. His slow star projectile attack is clunky. A few side dodges and you are out of range.
  4. The real fun starts with his second form. Hide behind the brick structures to avoid getting hit.
  5. Dodge his airborne charge and counter.
There really isn't much else to him.

Probably pretty well. All modern FPS has you hiding from jam, BB is pretty much the same.

Don't forget to backstab and visceral him when he starts buffing in between phases. It makes him much easier to parry for the second half of the fight

I guess I'm finished with the Central Pthumeru dungeon after beating the Pthumerian Descendant. Fun battles in this one just too normal looking enemy wise.

Risgroo

I started doing chalice dungeons again, and I just made it to the Bloodletting Beast. What the fuck.

Edit: Never mind, hah, I got him.

gunbo13

Don't forget to backstab and visceral him when he starts buffing in between phases. It makes him much easier to parry for the second half of the fight
Good point. I DPS using high stamina during the breaks but that's only useful in NG+ & higher. It usually does more damage overall but then I forget about stuff like backstabs. :(

I'm not sure where where to go next. I just beat
Rom
yesterday. I have the
Cainhurst summons thing that lets you go there and got to the first lamp in Yhargul and Nightmare Frontier

Also, a question about
Cainhurst. How many lamps are there in that place? I accidentally read about being careful there, otherwise I wouldn't be able to go back there.

Akuun

Rom
yesterday. I have the
Cainhurst summons thing that lets you go there and got to the first lamp in Yhargul and Nightmare Frontier

Also, a question about
Cainhurst. How many lamps are there in that place? I accidentally read about being careful there, otherwise I wouldn't be able to go back there.

Two lamps in Cainhurst. One at the entrance, and one appears in the boss room after you beat the boss.

If I'm reading the wiki right, the bit about not being able to go back only occurs if you go through the whole area, beat the boss, and then leave without lighting the lamp at the entrance. So as long as you light the entrance lamp you should be fine.

Rom
yesterday. I have the

Also, a question about

Go to the main cathedral then turn right, you will get access to a new zone related to the main quest, nightmare frontier is a optional zone kinda hard if you are not geared enough.

The castle have three lamps, on in the beginning, one after you defeat the boss and the hird one in the secret room after the boss.

Two lamps in Cainhurst. One at the entrance, and one appears in the boss room after you beat the boss.

If I'm reading the wiki right, the bit about not being able to go back only occurs if you go through the whole area, beat the boss, and then leave without lighting the lamp at the entrance. So as long as you light the entrance lamp you should be fine.

Go to the main cathedral then turn right, you will get access to a new zone related to the main quest, nightmare frontier is a optional zone kinda hard if you are not geared enough.

The castle have three lamps, on in the beginning, one after you defeat the boss and the hird one in the secret room after the boss.
Thanks. Aren't you dropped off at the door in front of that new zone after you
defeat Rom?

Always looks slower.
This is probably because it has more cooldown lag, 27 or 28 frames by my count versus 17 or 18 for the pistol. Actually, after looking at it again, the blunderbuss may actually be faster on warmup, though only by a single frame.

So you can see that what my friend is trying to do is impossible regardless of innate reaction speed (unless you're God) or choice of weapon now, right?

gunbo13

So you can see that what my friend is trying to do is impossible regardless of innate reaction speed (unless you're God) or choice of weapon now, right?
Unless I try it or another action game vet does, I do not. It's hard to talk about impossible inputs in a game that has such an easy parrying system compared to other titles which have unbelievably demanding just inputs. Some windows are so unbelievably small, like a few frames per refresh, small fractions of a second. I have not seen anything remotely close in BB, not even in the same ballpark.

Unless I try it or another action game vet does, I do not. It's hard to talk about impossible inputs in a game that has such an easy parrying system compared to other titles which have unbelievably demanding just inputs. Some windows are so unbelievably small, like a few frames per refresh, small fractions of a second. I have not seen anything remotely close in BB, not even in the same ballpark.
Please, instead of talking about how easy it is, try it for yourself.

Top Bottom