• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

She does physical attacks mainly, you are supposed to explore Old
Yharman
and H
enwik
first, beating her will move to the game another moon phase.

The stats really depend on your playstyle so far I recommend to invest in Health>Endurance>Weapons Stats

Bebpo

Banned
Ah, ok, I wasn't sure if Vit mattered in this game since everything kills you in a couple of hits and I figured it's better to kill them faster.

Will put the next 5 or so levels to vit to get it at least low 20s.

Hmm, I'm surprised my stats are low for her. I feel like I've explored everything out besides Hemwick Channel.

What kind of stats are recommended for her?

Oh and my best equipment right now is ~50/110/40/40 I think. I think it's the hunter garb. I keep finding new equipment but it always has weaker stats.
I think the Hunter set is the best you can get for now. As for vit/end, I think you should be at least at 20. Also, I think Vicar is strong against the 2h Kirkhammer, so I'd definitely recommend getting your Saw Cleaver to +5 or +6.

Personally, I spammed the L2 LHB with fire paper on her, staying close to her left side.

I managed to Shortroot into a Cursed Fetid Rotted Ithyll dungeon. The stress is real!

On the plus side, the first two bosses in it are easy ones.

It inspires me to try and get a fully decked out Loran dungeon eventually for cursed waning gems.

The stats really depend on your playstyle so far I recommend to invest in Health>Endurance>Weapons Stats
How much you need endurance depends on the weapon you're using, IMO. If it were Dark Souls I'd agree.

kewlmyc

Beat
The Daughter of the Cosmos
and
The Host of Nightmares
(I don't remember how to spell their actual names).

Daughter was hard as hell at first until I switched to Rifle Spear, then it became much easier. It was easier to dodge her charge attack if you stayed your distance and waited for the head thump.

Host was annoying but easy once you got him trapped. Not hard just tedious.

Soulhouf

So...I need some help on Vicar Amelia. I haven't done Hemwick Channel yet and I've heard that helps, otherwise I've done everything else up to her.

I'm around lvl.30, almost all my points into STR with a few into VIT/END/SKILL. I have about 27 STR I think, 16 VIT/16 END, 12 SKILL. I was mainly using the Saw Cleaver (+4) and Kirkhammer 2H (+4) but now I've got the Ludwig's Holy Sword (+3) and I find it better for the mobs leading up to Vicar in terms of stun-locking them.

I'm not sure which is the best weapon for her. I do slightly more damage with the 2H Kirkhammer of Holy Sword, but with the short form Saw Cleaver I can get 3 hits in no problem after each attack I dodge whereas with the 2H I can usually only get 1 hit in safely and 2 hits is really risky. So I'm actually finding I'm doing better with the short Saw Cleaver just because I'm quick and able and can dodge and get a bunch of hits in.

I haven't used any fire paper because I don't want to waste them, and I've only been able to get her around 40% HP. Just because she has insane HP so it takes a bit to get her down and she kills me in 2 hits.

Also I can't tell if I should be locking on strafing or non-lock on running and jumping and rolling to dodge. I've been locking on so far, but sometimes when I do a side strafe, I don't move far enough to dodge the attack.

Been trying for a few hours today. No sure if I just need a better strategy then hanging mid-distance and side-strafe dodging her attacks and jumping in for a couple of hits, jump back out repeat, or if my stats/weapons are too low and I should be doing Hemwick Channel first.

Any tips?

Few tips:
- Don't lock on and concentrate on hitting the legs. After you do some damage she will get staggered and you can do a visceral attack to her face.
- Saw Cleaver is your best option here. It's not only fast but the short version has +20% beast damage
- Better prioritize increasing your HP when you level up. It makes a huge difference in this game.
- If you can get your weapon to +6 from Hemwick or Yahar'gul, it will definitely helps you a lot
- Since you have Ludwig's, you can buy Fire Paper, so don't worry about wasting them. As soon as you feel you practiced enough, go to town.

Hope the patch makes it easier to connect to someone from within their dungeon using the Short Ritual Root Chalice. Already made the same gravestone and all that and it was still giving me problems before.

Of course, STR players needs to invest more in Endurance than vit.

Eh... I'm not even sure you would even invest in more End than Vit at any time. Vit is just way too important of a stat. Strength characters just need Endurance more than other playstyles which can get away with just putting a few points in it.

Hope the patch makes it easier to connect to someone from within their dungeon using the Short Ritual Root Chalice. Already made the same gravestone and all that and it was still giving me problems before.
It doesn't. I also tried doing passworded coop with a GAFfer last night and that was non-functional for a good 10 minutes before we finally got a connection.

Alright. Tips for upgrade an Axe and a Cane would be very useful please!

Also, new update eh! Is the loading time improved?

Cane is all about positioning and using R1, dont get to close and be wary of your surroundings, R2 is more situational and its more for passing trought wall and hit in a safe zone and sometimes it stuns heavy enemies.

So far Cane is more veratile but more "boring" in pve cuz you will rarely be in danger but suffer with big monster like wolves and
snakes
so bring a faster gun with you for visceral attacks.

Axe just spamm R2 lol

Have not played in a week and decided to take on NG+
Blood-Starved Beast
and was able to defeat it on my first try :D God I forgot how amazing the gameplay in this game is!

Cane is all about positioning and using R1, dont get to close and be wary of your surroundings, R2 is more situational and its more for passing trought wall and hit in a safe zone and sometimes it stuns heavy enemies.

So far Cane is more veratile but more "boring" in pve cuz you will rarely be in danger but suffer with big monster like wolves and
snakes
so bring a faster gun with you for visceral attacks.

Axe just spamm R2 lol

Thank you! I'm good with Axe and started a cane playthrough but it's tough getting close to third boss.

I think stamina is important because the cane actually makes me a spammer and I'm more conservative with attacking with the Axe.

Eh... I'm not even sure you would even invest in more End than Vit at any time. Vit is just way too important of a stat. Strength characters just need Endurance more than other playstyles which can get away with just putting a few points in it.

Its really depends on the playstyle, Health will always be high priority no question about it, but endurance can make a differen against elemental attacks if you invest a good bunch of points in that stat. It make zones like The N
ightmare
F
rontier
a joke without requiring to use the church at all gear or any specific gear against an elemental boss or those pesky frenzy enemies.

Its really depends on the playstyle, Health will always be high priority no question about it, but endurance can make a differen against elemental attacks if you invest a good bunch of points in that stat. It make zones like The N
ightmare
F
rontier
a joke without requiring to use the church at all gear or any specific gear against an elemental boss or those pesky frenzy enemies.

Endurance only affects the poison resistances, IIRC.

dmr87

Level 178 and 83 hours later, thank you From Software.

Show me that DLC!

wBwb.jpg

Celegus

Woop woop, add me to the Platinum club too! Did all the chalices and good ending on my first (strength) character, then cheesed the other two endings with a second character (skill / bloodtinge). It makes no sense, but through all of that, the most difficult fight was The One Reborn on my second character. Boy oh boy did I miss my Kirkhammer - screw skill weapons!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
ightmare
F
rontier

Yeah, Endurance doesn't affect Frenzy, only Slow/Rapid Poison Resist. The amount of Insights you have does though (the higher you have the easier you can get Frenzied). And elemental damage resistance I believe is tied to your Arcane, the same how your bullet resistance is tied to your Bloodtinge.

All in all Endurance is not really that much of a priority: I think 30 is more than enough for any kind of builds (even 25 is arguable)

Woop woop, add me to the Platinum club too! Did all the chalices and good ending on my first (strength) character, then cheesed the other two endings with a second character (skill / bloodtinge). It makes no sense, but through all of that, the most difficult fight was The One Reborn on my second character. Boy oh boy did I miss my Kirkhammer - screw skill weapons!

Now now, no need to tell the world about the incorrectness of your thoughts; just keep it down to yourself please :p

Arcane only affects damage scaling and discovery.

If you need a particular resist, armor up (in the case of frenzy, nothing matches the rune for resist.)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Arcane only affects damage scaling and discovery.

If you need a particular resist, armor up (in the case of frenzy, nothing matches the rune for resist.)

Welp, there it is, a mistake again, considering Bloodtinge affect bullet defense I thought Arcane also affect resistence of some kind as well.

As for Frenzy, yeap, just wear the +200 Frenzy Resist and wear Ashen clothing set, and you're... set, hahaha.

Still need to be extra careful at a certain bullshit bridge though.

MUnited83

For you.

The One Reborn with a threaded cane transformed is a joke though :p

stun
stun
stun
stun
dead

Celegus

He's a joke with Reiterpallasch too. In fact, he's a joke with basically *every* weapon.

Such a waste such a cool name is wasted on such a joke boss.

Good thing I was using a Rifle Spear and/or Tonitrus that couldn't stun him at all! The rain of bodies was OHKO if I timed it wrong and the acid kills crazy fast. Assuming I didn't get punched to oblivion taking out the casters first. The first time around with my trusty hammer, I beat it first try before even realizing you could get up to the casters. Which made it all the more infuriating that this was the only boss that gave me any inkling of trouble through the whole run.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Good thing I was using a Rifle Spear and/or Tonitrus that couldn't stun him at all! The rain of bodies was OHKO if I timed it wrong and the acid kills crazy fast. Assuming I didn't get punched to oblivion taking out the casters first. The first time around with my trusty hammer, I beat it first try before even realizing you could get up to the casters. Which made it all the more infuriating that this was the only boss that gave me any inkling of trouble through the whole run.

Like, seriously?

Once you take out the ladies, he's dead easy. I fought him like 3 times, and all the tactics the fights required was just get close to him and whack, hahaha (with occasional dash here dash there to avoid the rain and shit; those attacks were telegraphed really obviously, making it a breeze to avoid them.)

Are you absolutely positively sure Tonitrus can't stun him? Buffed up Tonitrus? I admit I haven't used that weapon on him yet (Kirkhammer, Reiterpallasch, and Blades of Mercy were my experiences) but it seems kind of hard to believe.

MUnited83

For you.
Like, seriously?

Once you take out the ladies, he's dead easy. I fought him like 3 times, and all the tactics the fights required was just get close to him and whack, hahaha (with occasional dash here dash there to avoid the rain and shit; those attacks were telegraphed really obviously, making it a breeze to avoid them.)

Are you absolutely positively sure Tonitrus can't stun him? Buffed up Tonitrus? I admit I haven't used that weapon on him yet (Kirkhammer, Reiterpallasch, and Blades of Mercy were my experiences) but it seems kind of hard to believe.

Tonitrus is actually even recommended to fight him, as he is weak to lightning. Threaded cane with Bolt paper works better though, as it has better range and more likely to hit his body.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, did Chemwick and gained like 10 levels, went back to Vicar Amelia and tried out co-op for the first time and man, it feels like cheating :( The boss just focused on attacking the other player and I could wail on it all day without any real risk. Wish I could redo the boss fight solo >_< Never again will I use the co-op option! >_<

So I need some tips on how I should be building my character at this point. I'm now at VIT 22, END 22, STR 26, DEX 12. Have Saw Cleaver +6 and about to get Kirkhammer to +6, Holy Ludwig Blade is still +3 and I'll get it to +6 after Kirkhammer. I haven't been upgrading any of my guns and I'm just using the starting pistol because I'm only using guns for parry and not damage.

I'm lvl.45, just starting the
Forbidden Woods
. What direction should I take my character upgrading? Is there any reason to upgrade DEX? Or should I just go VIT/END/VIT/END, repeat until I'm 26/26/26 and then do VIT/END/STR, VIT/END/STR?

Also should I focus on just upgrading 1 weapon at this point or take level both a fast weapon (Cleaver) and slow strong weapon (Kirkhammer 2H) evenly with the bloodstone chunks I get?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Ok, did Chemwick and gained like 10 levels, went back to Vicar Amelia and tried out co-op for the first time and man, it feels like cheating :( The boss just focused on attacking the other player and I could wail on it all day without any real risk. Wish I could redo the boss fight solo >_< Never again will I use the co-op option! >_<

So I need some tips on how I should be building my character at this point. I'm now at VIT 22, END 22, STR 26, DEX 12. Have Saw Cleaver +6 and about to get Kirkhammer to +6, Holy Ludwig Blade is still +3 and I'll get it to +6 after Kirkhammer. I haven't been upgrading any of my guns and I'm just using the starting pistol because I'm only using guns for parry and not damage.

Forbidden Woods
. What direction should I take my character upgrading? Is there any reason to upgrade DEX? Or should I just go VIT/END/VIT/END, repeat until I'm 26/26/26 and then do VIT/END/STR, VIT/END/STR?

Also should I focus on just upgrading 1 weapon at this point or take level both a fast weapon (Cleaver) and slow strong weapon (Kirkhammer 2H) evenly with the bloodstone chunks I get?

Generally speaking at that point you should already had an idea on the one weapon you want to be focusing on. Spreading your stones across various weapons is not really a good idea since stones are a finite supply, especially chunks (even with the latest patch you still need 30 insights to buy them and delve to the most difficult part of Chalice Dungeon to farm them in a reliable manner.)

As for your level ups; it depends again on what weapon you want to focus. If you want to use Ludwig, then you want to raise your Skill on equal measure with your Strength, since Ludwig scales equally with both stat (B at maximum, though Ludwig reach this already at +6); however be warned that if this is the path you want to take (maximizing Ludwig's damage), then you won't be able to raise other weapons' full damage potential (such as Kirkhammer) unless you level up considerably since a number of them require you to level up either STR/SKL to 50 (the damage gain is quite considerable before reaching 50 actually.)

Regardless, I wouldn't personally recommend raising Endurance higher than 30. Prioritize your chosen damage stat (STR/SKL or both if you're using Ludwig) and raise your Vit. If you're choosing Ludwig, raising STR/SKL both to 30 first should be fine if you want to raise other stat afterwards.

Welp, there it is, a mistake again, considering Bloodtinge affect bullet defense I thought Arcane also affect resistence of some kind as well.

As for Frenzy, yeap, just wear the +200 Frenzy Resist and wear Ashen clothing set, and you're... set, hahaha.

Still need to be extra careful at a certain bullshit bridge though.
Or
Crowfeather set
:p

As for your above reply, that will help me out as well. I wasn't sure how much more I should raise my END since I was maining LHB. Now I'm using BoM a bit more often, so I'll start to raise my Skill(now at 16) since my STR is at 30.

Bebpo

Banned
Generally speaking at that point you should already had an idea on the one weapon you want to be focusing on. Spreading your stones across various weapons is not really a good idea since stones are a finite supply, especially chunks (even with the latest patch you still need 30 insights to buy them and delve to the most difficult part of Chalice Dungeon to farm them in a reliable manner.)

As for your level ups; it depends again on what weapon you want to focus. If you want to use Ludwig, then you want to raise your Skill on equal measure with your Strength, since Ludwig scales equally with both stat (B at maximum, though Ludwig reach this already at +6); however be warned that if this is the path you want to take (maximizing Ludwig's damage), then you won't be able to raise other weapons' full damage potential (such as Kirkhammer) unless you level up considerably since a number of them require you to level up either STR/SKL to 50 (the damage gain is quite considerable before reaching 50 actually.)

Regardless, I wouldn't personally recommend raising Endurance higher than 30. Prioritize your chosen damage stat (STR/SKL or both if you're using Ludwig) and raise your Vit. If you're choosing Ludwig, raising STR/SKL both to 30 first should be fine if you want to raise other stat afterwards.

Well, I only have like 3 weapons and they're all good. Cleaver = small enemies, LHB = medium sized enemies, Kirkhammer 2H = large size enemies.

On bosses I'm tending to use saw cleaver because you usually only have a second or two to counterattack after dodging a boss attack and the 2Hs seem to slow unless they are stunlocking the boss. I guess I'll max Saw cleaver first. Since it seems good all around.

It took me a while, but I finally finished my first playthrough. I loved every second of it, and it's easily my favorite Souls game out of the ones I've played.

I finally, FINALLY beat
Ebrietas
!!! I'm not kidding when I say I literally died around 40 times before I finally beat her.

Now, on to
Martyr Logarius.

Forbidden Woods

25 points is the best early stat for STR then could slowly put stats on health, endurance andstr when you need it in that order.

About the weapons you can easily farm the first two tiers of upgrade materials but try to look for the weapon you feel more comfortable to use then use the block to fully upgrade it, there are more material in custom chalices but kinda hard to get there.

DEX Stats is for R1 and R2 damage mostly and the Visceral attack is greatly increased comprared to STR stat but I recommend that stat for SKILL weapons alone

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Or
Crowfeather set
:p

As for your above reply, that will help me out as well. I wasn't sure how much more I should raise my END since I was maining LHB. Now I'm using BoM a bit more often, so I'll start to raise my Skill(now at 16) since my STR is at 30.

Ashen is the highest in Frenzy resist I believe. Though your alternative is fine as well (I can't stand using the beak helmet though, looks stupid, hahaha)

Blade of Mercy/Reiterpallasch focused characters should be fine with even 25 endurance especially paired with 10/15% stamina raise rune, but yes, Ludwig/Kirkhammer/Wheel focused ones I think would benefit from 30 endurance.

Well, I only have like 3 weapons and they're all good. Cleaver = small enemies, LHB = medium sized enemies, Kirkhammer 2H = large size enemies.

On bosses I'm tending to use saw cleaver because you usually only have a second or two to counterattack after dodging a boss attack and the 2Hs seem to slow unless they are stunlocking the boss. I guess I'll max Saw cleaver first. Since it seems good all around.

Saw Cleaver is, no joke, one of the best weapons in the game: one can also make the case for it as the best weapon. Especially in how it does extra damage to beasts (and many of this game's most annoying bosses are beasts) and kins. In fact, I'd personally rank it above Kirkhammer in terms of overall functionality.

It doesn't have thrust attack is really the only real complaint I have for it.

So I was returning to the Hunter's Dream to cash in my echoes from defeating the Celestial Emissary
(what a weird boss)
and I caught the doll praying for me at the grave stone. After her dialogue I talked to her and she was acting like she was asleep.

It was so fucking cute.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So I was returning to the Hunter's Dream to cash in my echoes from defeating the Celestial Emissary
(what a weird boss)
and I caught the doll praying for me at the grave stone. After her dialogue I talked to her and she was acting like she was asleep.

It was so fucking cute.

I've played the game for more than 100 hours but I actually had this happened to me for the first time ever last night, I was quite surprised.

Even when she's sleep-talking she's only thinking of her dear Hunter, d'awww.

spliced

That
beast NPC
is the forest is no joke, I never got him in my first run and was expecting to just steamroll him which didn't happen lol. I had a hard time even hitting him with anything other than my charge attack.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
That
beast NPC
is the forest is no joke, I never got him in my first run and was expecting to just steamroll him which didn't happen lol. I had a hard time even hitting him with anything other than my charge attack.

The field in which you fight him does the player no favor. Small and prone to you getting knocked off or having camera issues due to how close the wall is (and how big/fast he is.)

I am willing to reckon that if he's put in an even, open space, the fight's difficulty is reduced a great deal.

Breezing through the Defiled Chalice on my 3rd character. Got HOTDOG on my 2nd try with a Cane+10. Also got a Blood Rock from Abhorrent Beast in Lower Lorant, very nice.

Feindflug

Ashen is the highest in Frenzy resist I believe. Though your alternative is fine as well (I can't stand using the beak helmet though, looks stupid, hahaha)

Blade of Mercy/Reiterpallasch focused characters should be fine with even 25 endurance especially paired with 10/15% stamina raise rune, but yes, Ludwig/Kirkhammer/Wheel focused ones I think would benefit from 30 endurance.

Saw Cleaver is, no joke, one of the best weapons in the game: one can also make the case for it as the best weapon. Especially in how it does extra damage to beasts (and many of this game's most annoying bosses are beasts) and kins. In fact, I'd personally rank it above Kirkhammer in terms of overall functionality.

Saw Cleaver does extra damage to kins as well? I thought that it only did extra dmg to beasts (on it's regular form). Personally I prefer Saw Spear mainly because of it's serration bonus on both forms and it's thrust attacks which are quite useful and powerful.

Now about Kirkhammer most enemies in the game are stronger against blunt attacks than thrust but it can stagger certain enemies and it's hp regain is very good, it's a useful weapon in a lot of situations.

Also a weapon that I don't see a lot of players using in co-op and pvp is Stake Driver, I've been using it for the last few days and it's a really cool weapon. It's fast with low stamina usage, the damage is surprisingly good even if it's scaling is not anything special (C/C/C at +10), the second form has thrust attacks and it's charge attack while difficult to pull off due to the slow build-up and short range is devastating and worth the risk.

The funny thing is that even if I have spent less time on BB than in previous Souls games I've used more different weapons, BB in terms of weapons (among other things) is the epitome of quality over quantity and From doesn't get the credit it deserves for this great selection of weapons IMO.

Soulhouf

Agreed.
I was very surprised how fast it is in its regular form and all the options it offers to you. You can use it with any build since the stats requirement is very low.
The charged attack in transformed mode is incredible and the transformed attack when it extends is god tier.
In term of DPS too I think it's one of the most powerful weapons.
I chose it for my first character because it seemed to be the most original weapon of the bunch and I liked how it looked but I ended up loving it, to the point where I always have it even for my other builds as a secondary weapon. The only thing it lacks is thrust attacks.

With that said, the bonus it gets is only against beasts in its regular form.

IvorB

Sorry, another hit-and-run post from me. V
icar
A
melia
and the W
itch
of E
astwick
down. :) The former was pretty epic so I made a vid if anyone is interested. I was in a good groove then D
arklight
P
aarl
totally crashed my party. :-( That fight is f**ked up. Walked in there with a bunch of souls too. It didn't really look right and I could sense a boss fight coming but I told myself; "it can't be a boss; there's nowhere to put a fog gate". Oh well I guess that's where complacency gets you. His time will come too. That was it for the weekend.

Happy hunting y'all!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Saw Cleaver does extra damage to kins as well? I thought that it only did extra dmg to beasts (on it's regular form). Personally I prefer Saw Spear mainly because of it's serration bonus on both forms and it's thrust attacks which are quite useful and powerful.

Now about Kirkhammer most enemies in the game are stronger against blunt attacks than thrust but it can stagger certain enemies and it's hp regain is very good, it's a useful weapon in a lot of situations.

Also a weapon that I don't see a lot of players using in co-op and pvp is Stake Driver, I've been using it for the last few days and it's a really cool weapon. It's fast with low stamina usage, the damage is surprisingly good even if it's scaling is not anything special (C/C/C at +10), the second form has thrust attacks and it's charge attack while difficult to pull off due to the slow build-up and short range is devastating and worth the risk.

The funny thing is that even if I have spent less time on BB than in previous Souls games I've used more different weapons, BB in terms of weapons (among other things) is the epitome of quality over quantity and From doesn't get the credit it deserves for this great selection of weapons IMO.

Agreed.
I was very surprised how fast it is in its regular form and all the options it offers to you. You can use it with any build since the stats requirement is very low.
The charged attack in transformed mode is incredible and the transformed attack when it extends is god tier.
In term of DPS too I think it's one of the most powerful weapons.
I chose it for my first character because it seemed to be the most original weapon of the bunch and I liked how it looked but I ended up loving it, to the point where I always have it even for my other builds as a secondary weapon. The only thing it lacks is thrust attacks.

With that said, the bonus it gets is only against beasts in its regular form.

The symbol next to the beast symbol on its status screen, that symbol represents Kin right? It has a 100 number on it just like the beast symbol.

Top Bottom